hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not create our own game?

XenosisReaper
    we should build a fully functioning Eve mod for Skyrim

Right?

A strange game, the only way to win is not to post.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    No I don't mean to rain on your parade I know fuckall about unity. It might be a lot more simpler than what I thought if you already have templates and such in place. What I do know though is from some experiments I have done personally programming in 3D game libraries (Ogre3D) and 2D game libraries (Allegro) is the sheer scale in difference work wise you need to put in both artistic and programmatically when you wan't to do a 3D environment versus 2D.

But as I said, Unity might simplify the work immensely, so whatdoIknow.

I like your concept though

Tajidan had a good comment that we should do something space based. I suggest we make it sci-fi to keep it broad.
    Also watching the comments here... C# all the way?

Keep trowing ideas up, eventually we will find something we like to build right?

@Jason, a space based Trading Card game XD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post

I counter your modpocalypse deck with an entrox build
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisReaper View Post
    we should build a fully functioning Eve mod for Skyrim

Right?
    this makes all senses there are and then some

we shall call it Fjord 514

(sorry for all the posting, I have a long day at work)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post

Goon Deck with Threadnaught rare card is go.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Tajidan had a good comment that we should do something space based. I suggest we make it sci-fi to keep it broad.
    I've never programmed a single line in C#

But if you need multiplayer functionality I'll happily jump on the team and contribute with a server as that doesn't need to be coded in C# would be nice to have some codemonkey compadres I can lean to so my workload doesnt get too heavy tho

XenosisReaper
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparq View Post
    A strange game, the only way to win is not to post.
    Game is rigged, I can't win

As Helgur Pointed out, 2D is less of a difficulty then 3D.. since we want to start small, lets do that then?

2D
    Sci-Fi
    C#

??

I remember a lot of games being made by this game engine: http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-2d

I've never programmed a single line in C#

But if you need multiplayer functionality I'll happily jump on the team and contribute with a server as that doesn't need to be coded in C# would be nice to have some codemonkey compadres I can lean to so my workload doesnt get too heavy tho
    Thats why I just started this thread, getting as many people on board so we can help each other.

Keep trowing ideas up, eventually we will find something we like to build right?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=23714

XNA Game Studio is the default go-to for windows game development / anything relying heavily on C#/.net functionality.

Honestly, even deciding that is getting way too far ahead of ourselves. The technology is honestly the least of your worries when developing a game. What makes a game fun or not fun ultimately comes down to the core mechanic. For the most part, the core mechanic is generally what defines the type of genre the game is in - it's the thing that the player is doing as the major action in game. Most games can be simplified down to a very simple core mechanic that people find fun.

Before committing to a game, you want to prototype the core mechanic and see if people actually find it enjoyable.

If they do, you can build a deeper game around it. You can then make some further key decisions, such as:

1. What does multiplayer look like?
    2. What kind of cross-platform support do we want?

The thing that will make or break most games that have a successful core mechanic as well is high quality sound and animation direction. They don't have to be 100% the most fantastically beautiful things, but they need to happen at exactly the right time. If you do this, even a very simple game will feel extremely polished. If you look back to the old Starcraft and Warcraft II games, the graphics look lame by modern standards but the art direction - the timing of everything - is spot on and feels correct. Having ingame music that feels epic doesn't hurt either - I wouldn't be surprised if at least 30% of EVE's subscribers bought their initial accounts in large part because of Below the Asteroids.

I've personally wanted to do a steampunk-style naval combat game featuring units based on naval weapons from the ww1/ww2 era, with a couple fantastical elements to include things like airships and some facility for rapid transit that allows you to preserve naval scale without having to AFK for 3 days to get anywhere.

Honestly, the hard part about 3d isn't anything on the technical side - its on the art side. Its a WHOLE lot more work to do decent quality 3d work than it is to do good 2d work.

I also believe that other than as a testbed for a team, only the most casual games will see any success with 2d graphics. Even simple 3D tends to come off as far more professional.

One of the first design choices that impact gameplay for me would be - will it be realtime or turn based?

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post

I Hard Counter you with a DarkFlare thread.
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Skimmed over the topic and a few things came to mind:

1: Come up with a fun game idea. Just a game idea isn't enough as people are going to be doing this in their free time and if they don't enjoy the product they're working on they're going to do other stuff instead.

2: Keep it simple. Dont do a FPS, dont do 3d, dont do multiplayer. Start with something simple in 2d that's fun to play (preferably with some kind of twist that prevents it from being just a copy of an existing game, but this is optional). At this point your goal is getting a functioning team together, save the more challenging/time intensive stuff for once you've figured out who is going to actually commit (and is capable) and who suffers from ADD.

Edit: also stay away from Torque, worst engine i've ever worked with /o\

So we have now

- 2D (It is a lot easier & I agree)
    - C Language of some kind
    - Direction of Sci-Fi/Space
    - Some kind of Multiplayer?

@ Blutreiter,
    First we need to make something up that we want to create tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post

1: Come up with a fun game idea. Just a game idea isn't enough as people are going to be doing this in their free time and if they don't enjoy the product they're working on they're going to do other stuff instead.

2: Keep it simple. Dont do a FPS, dont do 3d, dont do multiplayer. Start with something simple in 2d that's fun to play (preferably with some kind of twist that prevents it from being just a copy of an existing game, but this is optional). At this point your goal is getting a functioning team together, save the more challenging/time intensive stuff for once you've figured out who is going to actually commit (and is capable) and who suffers from ADD.
    Wouldn't Multiplayer actually be easier? As you don't have to code a AI?

You could do what is essentially multiplayer PVP asteroids and go from there. If we had the people, it could probably be done this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Foiritain View Post

Wouldn't Multiplayer actually be easier? As you don't have to code a AI?
    There's a decent bit of tech overhead to get multiplayer to work, so it really depends on how complex your AI would need to be. Some AIs are simple, some are not.

P.S. i have done all this shit before and know the tech side of this pretty well

because it would be shit
    MAX damage posting