hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Why not create our own game?

no

Space doesn't have trees. Unlike fallout/russia.

He will post it himself
    Last edited by Jalif; March 18 2013 at 06:30:14 PM.

Voting that strict 90 degrees top-down generally looks shit and is only good for shoot-em-ups.

Worked on the player character today already, everything done by just some simple 2d but it will suffice for now.

Will probably look into some other options like low-polygon 3d models.
    [~A place to talk about autism~]

"You can't alt tab from god"

Xenosis's sister
    Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    Think I will make something rather basic first before I'm going to give it full animations.
    This, this, this. Seriously. Placeholders are perfectly ok, especially early on. Character is a box? That's cool, so long as he's shooting little boxes from the center of his box.

Which brings us to "prototyping". Prototyping is great because you can test things without wasting tons of time perfecting everything just to find out it's a bad idea. CCP's "multiplayer incarna prototype" 9m into the video (I know, I know, :CCP: and :Incarna:, bear with me) is exactly what you should be doing: ghetto as fuck but playable, and for a fraction of the cost.

If that seems weird to you, think about all the times you were bored and started spoofing the lyrics of a song, came up with something perfect, but found out the hard way it didn't quite flow as well as it did in your head. Prototyping is basically making sure the syllables fit and everything sounds ok by whispering the new song half-heartedly to yourself before making acting a fool in a living room stage performance for your friends.
    Last edited by Minion; March 18 2013 at 08:05:16 PM.

If you're making it multiplayer etc. etc. I can help with servers, design and implementation. Can also help with some coding if this shit turns serious.

Successfully acquired metric fucktons of raw sound material i can use to start building my own samples from scratch.

As in 6 GB worth of sounds from all over the world including nature, industry and whatever.

Tomorrow I will start with some kind of menu music.

Actually, what kind of sounds do you need first? Footsteps, ambience and firing sounds I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Quote Originally Posted by Blutreiter View Post
    Successfully acquired metric fucktons of raw sound material i can use to start building my own samples from scratch.

As in 6 GB worth of sounds from all over the world including nature, industry and whatever.

Tomorrow I will start with some kind of menu music.

Actually, what kind of sounds do you need first? Footsteps, ambience and firing sounds I reckon.
    Pretty much what you said. Footsteps, some spaceship/horror/hum ambiance and firing sounds.

Start with that and we will build it up.

Working prototype first before we continue.

Still no subforum

I have actually been a very small part of a similar forum generated game that actually got to a playable stage.

I won't give the name as that will ID the forum but it was a alien vs civilian vs space marine 2D game inspired by Urban Dead.

Aliens are lose on a space station. A shuttle of Marines arrives only to have the station's auto-defenses trash their shuttle. Now the civillians and the marines must get to the only functional escape pod - trouble is there is only room for 2 inside.

Meanwhile the aliens move about the station looking for humans to kill and consume because doing so grants additional abilities from a small tree.

The civilians have the advantage of been able to use certain station functions if they are at a control consol, while the marines have weapons and some armour. Both can and must search for loot and supplies as the marines armour and weapons use energy cells that will run out and the civilians will be looking for ENVI suits, small arms and equipment.

The interesting part was that both the aliens and the humans did best when co-operating, but the temptation was always strong to "jack on your mates" to steal that tasty human or kill that civilian and grab his plasma arc so you can cut through bulkheads.

Was based on a AP system that generated over time on a simple java based web browser.

Of course it stopped when the two main movers - a graphic artist and a java coder - got jobs again.

Was fun to play - best time was when two humans - a civie and a marine - who had betrayed everyone else finally got to the Pod hanger to find the last uber alien inside - a betrayed civie had opened the door so it could get in.

Having a successful F2P game that gets a profile would make any serious project more likely to succeed.
    Last edited by Maximillian; March 19 2013 at 12:47:48 PM.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Still no subforum
    I can make a forum if you want, also we need a bot for the IRC channel?

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Still no subforum
    I can make a forum if you want, also we need a bot for the IRC channel?
    Plz, no need for IRC bot yet tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    I have actually been a very small part of a similar forum generated game that actually got to a playable stage.

I won't give the name as that will ID the forum but it was a alien vs civilian vs space marine 2D game inspired by Urban Dead.

Aliens are lose on a space station. A shuttle of Marines arrives only to have the station's auto-defenses trash their shuttle. Now the civillians and the marines must get to the only functional escape pod - trouble is there is only room for 2 inside.

Meanwhile the aliens move about the station looking for humans to kill and consume because doing so grants additional abilities from a small tree.

The civilians have the advantage of been able to use certain station functions if they are at a control consol, while the marines have weapons and some armour. Both can and must search for loot and supplies as the marines armour and weapons use energy cells that will run out and the civilians will be looking for ENVI suits, small arms and equipment.

The interesting part was that both the aliens and the humans did best when co-operating, but the temptation was always strong to "jack on your mates" to steal that tasty human or kill that civilian and grab his plasma arc so you can cut through bulkheads.

Was based on a AP system that generated over time on a simple java based web browser.

Of course it stopped when the two main movers - a graphic artist and a java coder - got jobs again.

Was fun to play - best time was when two humans - a civie and a marine - who had betrayed everyone else finally got to the Pod hanger to find the last uber alien inside - a betrayed civie had opened the door so it could get in.

Having a successful F2P game that gets a profile would make any serious project more likely to succeed.
    We will see if it become F2P, a small price or just open source. We are still in the beginning stage and anything can happen.

Also Helgur, how is your progress going with the prototype?

Anybody else looking into unity?

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Also Helgur, how is your progress going with the prototype?

Anybody else looking into unity?
    I haven't worked much on it except tweaked a minor bug where the app didn't properly detect projectile collision with position of mouse cursor, since I am trying to learn unity atm. If you want I can send you the mac binaries so you can have a look at whats actually accomplished (you can move/run around and shoot projectiles, player is represented by a 30x30 px square).

Also forum is up sorting categories'n stuff. Should enable some sort of file sharing feature so we can easily share files