hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not create our own game?

Why not create our own game?

I see stuff as Stardrive, Minecraft, Prison Architect & FTL being build by just one (/two) person with complex mechanics & rather complex ai. Creating a game doesn't seem to be "difficult". The most difficult is to present/market/create a good idea.

Failheap contains a bunch of artist such as myself & pattern (pretty sure there are more). The amount of people that can code is in abundance as well. Beside that we have more then enough knowledge on this forum to have a game build from the ground up (and there are enough game engines we can build upon such as unreal, unity, crysis and source).

Nice thing is is that we have a rather large community that can make some publicity and test the game. If we ever need funding then we could always try the kickstarter way. Cause lets be honest, notting is really for free and people shouldn't design and code for free, period.

We criticise games like mad man and curse how shit some developers really are. How about we make a little team ourself and start building a simple game that we all can enjoy. Maybe something like a Multiplayer FPS so there would be no need for complicated AI's?

why not create your own face

also should this ever happen i will literally bake a cake for FHC

sorry ghost cake, doomed to exist forever in the what if dimension
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Smuggo
    Fat Nerd: Battledome is go

Quote Originally Posted by Jalif View Post
    I see stuff as Stardrive, Minecraft, Prison Architect & FTL being build by just one (/two) person with complex mechanics & rather complex ai. Creating a game doesn't seem to be "difficult". The most difficult is to present/market/create a good idea.

Failheap contains a bunch of artist such as myself & pattern (pretty sure there are more). The amount of people that can code is in abundance as well. Beside that we have more then enough knowledge on this forum to have a game build from the ground up (and there are enough game engines we can build upon such as unreal, unity, crysis and source).

Nice thing is is that we have a rather large community that can make some publicity and test the game. If we ever need funding then we could always try the kickstarter way. Cause lets be honest, notting is really for free and people shouldn't design and code for free, period.

We criticise games like mad man and curse how shit some developers really are. How about we make a little team ourself and start building a simple game that we all can enjoy. Maybe something like a Multiplayer FPS so there would be no need for complicated AI's?
    first step is to figure out what the fuck it's going to be.

secondly you need to realize that doing something like this is not a part time job you faff about with when you can be bothered, designing and building software is hard fucking work and that's why so much of it suck as bad as it does, writing code is easy, writing good code within a development framework adhering to sensible coding standards is hard.

learn it, love it. it's the reason we see many of the recent awesome titles.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

I want a Cripple olympics, like the old Summer Games and Winter Games for C64, only with lots of wheelchairs. Like 400m hurdles or ski long jump.

btw, can code (a bit, there are better ppl here), can do music and sound effects.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lyrus
    they send you a pedometer, and set you daily activity targets
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    There's no fucking way I'm googling '12" Hero'

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    If this was to really see the light of day you would need to make a more cautious and pragmatic approach tbh. Start a thread with your game idea the FHC community can contribute to and elaborate with. The game in itself should be simple to make both graphics and code wise, no mind blowing stuff with huge ambitions (I'll get back to why later).

Anyone that is interested in pitching into the project with the qualifications they might have can do so. Just make a github repository account and people can pitch in there.

The first project is an opensource project. While working at that it is easier to map out the qualifications of each contributor, who will stick around, who is best at doing what etc.

If you manage to get this simple game off the ground and into a workable product you should be good to go to phase two, which is making a commercial product.

Yeah mate unless you get your design in first you're gonna end up with 30 armchair game designers all calling eachother fatnerds and DarkFlare writing the whole thing in JavaScript.

We need a subforum for that. Keep a thread with a link in here to draw more attention from the right crowd and have less clutter.

I'm just bringing the idea of having a FHC team who wants to build a game. I'm 100% aware what you guys are telling me, totally agree with helgur that it has to be something simple and that won't be a problem. Just wanted to check out who is actually willing to build up a game.

Also Unity is one of the better game engines and is totally free.

So I'm just checking out who is up for it and the idea of the game in mind will come later.

EDIT: actually writing a little text document about it atm.

There's not many niches left after the Train Fever thingie.

If you'd asked a week earlier we could've done a 7 day roguelike. Anyway, what Helgur said.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte View Post
    If you'd asked a week earlier we could've done a 7 day roguelike. Anyway, what Helgur said.
    roguelike, ftl styled game with pirate ships ?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManFromDelmonte View Post
    roguelike, ftl styled game with pirate ships ?
    FTL inspired game fits perfectly within the scope

Also it has potential to be awesome

http://alleg.sourceforge.net/

2D gaming library i've played a bit around with and would fit perfectly around the frames of such a project codewise

XenosisReaper
    Didn't Yuto do this back on SHC?

And didn't it just get abandoned because forum neckbeards have the attention spans of adhd lemmings?

Things NOT to develop without the backing of a huge marketing department.

1) Any type of FPS game.
    2) MMOs.

Minecraft misses the S part in FPS and so just managed to escape the 'competing with COD/BFx/Halo' tag.

I would actually be in for some sort of turn based type game. I have a few ideas myself, but they aren't completely thought out. (Turn based multiplayer empire building game with 'forced' time limit on turn lengths so one person not submitting a turn doesn't fuck it up for everyone)

I can actually program too (badly, oh so very badly)

Edit: Also, I would be making this on my own but as everyone can probably guess I fail at committing to long projects.
    Last edited by Lana Torrin; March 15 2013 at 01:22:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

most of the things are already said but here goes;

main reason i see why not make your own game is time and money. if its something to do on the side then time is the main factor with motivation/effort as secondary. good project planning would be mandatory.

the next issue is ambitions, yes everyone has an idea for a perfect gaem but to get that on paper that its actually working and fun is a different story. main rule, the simpler the better. for example the train fever dudes, if they would concentrate on the mechanics first instead of already perfectly modelling trains/cars/houses/peoples for a non completed game and just went with an art style like lets say darwinia they could accomplish much more.

edit: i have some experience with unity as i work with it but im not capable at programming. but i can do pretty much anything when it comes to do art assets, limited modelling but i'm getting there, besides i don't see anything wrong when there's also a learning experience while doing things.

wishlist for a game; turn based startegy/tactical, maybe naval or (spesships) huge machinery shooting bits out of eachother
    Last edited by Tajidan; March 15 2013 at 01:32:18 PM.

Oh and to make a serious post: It's because those people often put all their life into their projects, over months and years. One dedicated bedroom programmer equals probably an indefinite number of lolvideogames theorycrafters who don't have that stamina.

Rather obvious rant here, but the post still made me facepalm a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    Oh and to make a serious post: It's because those people often put all their life into their projects, over months and years. One dedicated bedroom programmer equals probably an indefinite number of lolvideogames theorycrafters who don't have that stamina.

But you're right, if we do something it should be rather small so it can be finished in maybe 1-2months. Then go from there

Quote Originally Posted by Tajidan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post

But you're right, if we do something it should be rather small so it can be finished in maybe 1-2months. Then go from there
    Creating simple games is mindnumbingly simple. You can do a multiple choice textadventure within a single day and dicking around a lot. You can do Pong with almost no coding experience due to the sheer number of tutorials out there. The list goes on and on...

...the hard part is when you start fleshing things out and increasing the scope of the project.

Example: McPixel. Very simple graphics but really black humor and caused me to spit beer all over my keyboard. You can probably do a game like that in less than a month even without devoting all your time and sacrificing your firstborn.

Now, if we are talking stuff like StarDrive that needs to be coded properly and efficiently to achieve good performance on this large scale, thats when things get hard, even though the game essentially looks simple. Looks are decieving.

That said, yeah, we kinda need a proper design to see what we'd be up against.

Lots of non-developers going on about how not difficult game development is

Yeah is easy, just learn to code! And yes javascript is actually quite viable these days it seems (despite the horror etc). Finally the tech is mature to do proper web-development, make any game you want (even complex multiplayer 3d ones), will run on any platform.