hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: [TMA] Wormholes

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Trevize View Post
    I've got an offer to join a corp but I have to find them as the last step in recruitment
    Are they having a giraffe?
    I don't catch the reference
    A bubble bath. A Steffi Graph. A hat & scarf.

Clearly they don't need/want you to immediately have a chance for fun with them. Maybe stalking people is a useful skill for their gameplay style, but it seems high effort & slow paced. You could have spent hours roaming with them already. At least hang out on their comms?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

The issue with doing the killmail thing is that you have a lot of systems to scan, and there's a lot of C2s in the game. The WH I was stick in and did this exact same thing with had a C2 static, but the system that we got the locator on him had three C2s already. We probed all three before finding the right one. Imagine if you've got three C2s in ten systems. Or what if they came into k-space through a C3 that was the static of the C2? The locator agent is your best bet unfortunately, there's nothing that says that whatever character you're watching is actually going to leave said trade hub. I have a character in corp that never leaves Amarr, good for a price check.

I've got an offer to join a corp but I have to find them as the last step in recruitment
    Are they having a giraffe?
    I don't catch the reference
    A bubble bath. A Steffi Graph. A hat & scarf.

Clearly they don't need/want you to immediately have a chance for fun with them. Maybe stalking people is a useful skill for their gameplay style, but it seems high effort & slow paced. You could have spent hours roaming with them already. At least hang out on their comms?
    I dunno, had a friend vouch for me and the interview seemed like it went well so it didn't seem like a brush off. We'll see, but I definitely appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Cue1* View Post
    The issue with doing the killmail thing is that you have a lot of systems to scan, and there's a lot of C2s in the game. The WH I was stick in and did this exact same thing with had a C2 static, but the system that we got the locator on him had three C2s already. We probed all three before finding the right one. Imagine if you've got three C2s in ten systems. Or what if they came into k-space through a C3 that was the static of the C2? The locator agent is your best bet unfortunately, there's nothing that says that whatever character you're watching is actually going to leave said trade hub. I have a character in corp that never leaves Amarr, good for a price check.
    Yeah, thanks as well.

They welped a fleet in nullsec yesterday and lost a pile of pods, should provide me opportunity to catch a few waking up in highsec tonight.

Clearly they don't need/want you to immediately have a chance for fun with them. Maybe stalking people is a useful skill for their gameplay style, but it seems high effort & slow paced. You could have spent hours roaming with them already.
    It's W-space, stalking isn't a useful skill, it's a must have skill.

Lvl4 locator agent + watching one of em' undock from jita

You run the locator non stop until the dude flips to wormhole. Then scannedy scan mate.

You wont roll in there by chance except if you're one lucky motherfucker.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Clearly they don't need/want you to immediately have a chance for fun with them. Maybe stalking people is a useful skill for their gameplay style, but it seems high effort & slow paced. You could have spent hours roaming with them already.
    Sure stalking in the staying-cloaked-as-much-as-possible-in-wspace sense. But not in the they're-clearly-not-in-this-highsec-local sense. If you're not at war, why would they notice or give a shit about you being near them in k-space, especially empire. You're no more of a concern than anyone that might have the hole they're wanting to take.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Whelp I did it. I was lucky in that they lost about a dozen ships + pods in null yesterday so I watch listed them and frantically ran locator agents as they logged in until an agent told me they'd dropped out of k space, then burned the 23 jumps to their last known location. Would have gone right past the chain entrance except I crossed paths with one of them in local, turned around and followed him until I was pretty sure he had jumped into a hole.

Missed out on a pod from an unrelated corp in the C2 caught in a bubble (I assumed it was a trap tbh so I didn't deck oak to shoot it) found their C6 and died gloriously.

Honestly in retrospect it was a lot of fun finally pinning them down and finding their hole. I can definitely see the merit in doing the cloud hunter challenge to screen people trying to join.

Yes but finding someone's hole with no leads to go off of isn't that common of a task. Generally if you're going to need to get into someone's hole you have an idea where they came from recently, or already have a scanalt inside.
    Skill training online: Daesis Wrack
    Everything else: Cosmic Osmo

Quote Originally Posted by Wrack View Post
    Yes but finding someone's hole with no leads to go off of isn't that common of a task. Generally if you're going to need to get into someone's hole you have an idea where they came from recently, or already have a scanalt inside.
    Admittedly it's probably not a common task, but I think the skillset of being able to sit for an extended period of time waiting for something that may or may not happen without any assurance of getting a payoff probably is something you'd want to screen your applicants for.

Anyway having now succesfully done it, I would say there is value in it just because I personally got a fair bit of satisfaction in finally completing it after having to use cloaky alts, locator agents, a handwritten list of systems researched on dotlan and a bit of luck to do so. Most shit in EVE is easier than that and takes a lot less effort IME
    Last edited by Tetsuo; March 4 2014 at 08:16:09 PM.

Is the game pointless to play if you dont got 10-15 players always online in your fleet?

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway84 View Post
    Is the game pointless to play if you dont got 10-15 players always online in your fleet?
    Not at all. We connect to a C2 which means we spend a lot of time fucking around in C2-4 space and K space where the average fleet sizes are much much smaller, like less than 10, sometimes 4-5 people, sometimes solo pilots to hunt down and gank. It's a viable option for smaller corps, all of our experience with other C5-C6 corps has usually been in big fuckoff gangs of Ishtars or Sleips+Cerbs that we can't really engage against with our numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway84 View Post
    Just like everywhere else in EVE, there are big groups and small groups. Since jumping through a WH always puts you in scram range of anything you which makes kiting a larger gang harder, but there are ways around that.

posted from my pants

What's the max range sleepers in C4 sites generally hit out to, and is it possible to warp in a fleet of something like Tachyon Oracles at long range and snipe the site without having to worry about tanking damage?

What's the max range sleepers in C4 sites generally hit out to, and is it possible to warp in a fleet of something like Tachyon Oracles at long range and snipe the site without having to worry about tanking damage?
    Many of the sleepers in C4s spawn at 100k+ and deal damage the entire way in. I'm not sure what their max range is on damage, I know they neut out to 90km, and point as far as 110km.

Tma closing/Cycling Wormholes ? Used to use an Orca and a Hic iirc but that was 12+ Months ago. IIRC that made larger ships land further from the holes now ? Is this still viable with all these different size holes and are there better alternatives than an orca & Hic to Cycle C3 Exits.

Raven(or one of the <100Mkg BS) with Higgs and 100nm MWD, it's just sub 200 without prop, and 300 with.
    Much closer to the mass limit than an Orca, and much much cheaper. (about a tenth of the price)

And a HIC too.