hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [TMA] PvP cloaky (solo) dualboxing

Last info out said 2% for level and 3% for CS.

Which basically will mean people will just use whatever can fit it and get all their boosts from the mind link.

the thing from the buzz buzz

CBA to find it atm due to :at work: but fozzie has said it IS happening multiple times
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

At NEO Soundwave and Fozzi both said that the link will only work ongrid as soon as they figure out how to do it.

AFAIK Mindlink will get a nerved too. It's just too powerful right now.
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by GV View Post
    For the purpose of this post, assume my combat main has only level 4 probing skills, but the ability to fly all T3 strat cruisers with high subsystem skills, all Recons at level 5, all small and medium weapons at T2 levels with excellent support skills, plus all e-war skills (and subskills) at 4 or better. The alt is a perfect prober (+ Virtues) with Covops 5, Recon 5, good ECM skills, all races of ships but limited weaponry abilities (think T1 for most everything) and only the Tengu as a T3 option (but I'm willing to take a month to remedy this). Both characters can fly competent bombers.

I am currently hunting lowsec and wormholes with a neutral Covops probing alt and a Proteus (or Pilgrim to mix things up sometimes) as my DPS, but I am considering "outing" my alt to have him join in on some kills for added combat ability. All ships must have the ability to warp cloaked. The obvious choice would be a Falcon alt for added protection, but I'm wondering if there's any other way to go. I can dual box but not dual screen (only one monitor) so I have concerns about any combo that requires too much micromanagement once the s**t hits the fan. I'm very happy with the Proteus for my main, but am open to other suggestions if the combination of the two ships lets me take on tougher targets, or even better if it lets me take on multiple targets at once.
    Apologies for the thread necro, but it is on topic.

Since the original post over 2 years ago, my training has (surprise!) advanced. Both characters can now fly all T3's and Recons with any T2 weapons and either perfect or very respectable support skills (120+ mil and 98+ mil sp respectively on the 2 characters). The perfect prober with virtues is now a perfect link alt as well. The combat main can fly Blops of any race, and the prober can light covert cynos. Perhaps most significantly to dual character (solo player) combat, I have added a second monitor to my home setup, so dual-screening and not just dual-boxing is now an option.

Several of the prior recommendations have been implemented, such as augmenting the main combat pilot with links instead of using two combat characters (I have a wicked Proteus with probing/boosting Legion combo, for example), and I have unfortunately trained perfect Falcon ECM skills on the virtues/probing character despite never having been able to actually convince myself that it would be cool to buy a Falcon. Finally, both of the pilots are now in the same corp, able to take advantage of corp bookmarks, but as a result suffering from being recognizable in local as being together.

Gameplay-wise, I think the biggest change since my OP is the Combat Recon D-scan immunity, and I have already purchased (though not tested fully) what looks to be a pretty sweet 2 Curse setup. More of this type of thing is fine, because of the D-scan immunity I am no longer married to the all-cloaky-all-the-time mentality, but I still want to be sneaky. As a corollary to this, are my only options deep null and wh's, or are there still any viable non-bait lowsec targets for this type of play? My sense is that lowsec is dead for this type of hunting, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

So, Failheap community and elite PvPers, how do I maximize these abilities? I am not afraid to lose ships, but I can't afford to lose T2 and T3 ships needlessly. I want to hunt high (or at least semi-high) value targets in low, null, and wh space, without throwing away my stuff on futile engagements where I can't break the targets at all or can't even come close to breaking them before their backup arrives.

(I am fine with going out there and fighting T1 frig rock/paper/scissors battles, and can often come out on top just because of the sp of my characters, but I want more. My current RL situation prevents me from joining a high sp pirate corp or alliance, so two character "solo" is the best I can do right now to take advantage of my time in EVE. I love the game and don't want to quit, please help me out if you can. Thanks.)
    Last edited by GV; May 9 2015 at 06:25:29 AM.

So you basically want to haze carebears.
    (Disclaimer: i rarely do this in a small gang, and p. much never solo)
    I mean, ally-mate of mine rolls around in an Ishtar + Stiletto and scores mad carebear kills all the time, so there is that. (he is a turbonerd when it comes to eve though, 11k kills in less than 2 years).
    Because a ceptor is simply the best option for actually catching bears, i mean your alternative in Null is basically afk-cloaking and hoping the ship you are about to gank doesnt have a cyno himself.

Dual Curses dont seem tempting at all, i mean you have, what, 700 dps total which can be countered by a single large smartbomb?
    Cheap option for faction BS hunting is actually bombers w/ polarized torp launchers, which shit out 1k+ dps these days.

Something like
    - one bomber w/ AB/Scram/MSE and normal launchers for tackling
    - one bomber with polarized launchers for MAX DEEPS + scanres damps

thats nearly 2k dps with scary alpha right there
    Last edited by n0th; May 15 2015 at 10:43:45 AM.

Or you roam around in a cyno fit tackler with 1 alt and have a neut sin on the other on which you carry a mobile depot and a cloak in the hangar, you jump into a empty system every now and then if you alt is getting to far out and refit to a cloak to sit afk cloaking in your sin while your tackler continues looking for targets, i think theres a pvp vid of that soemwhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Gotta aim high and get alt into a nyx.

https://zkillboard.com/character/195872744/ have a look to see all the fun im having in eve. If you arent having fun in eve you`re probably bad at eve. Please better yourself.

I've really enjoyed the pilgrim for this. My fit is in the pilgrim thread (on mobile at the moment). I prefer the cap battery fit over the injector version
    Actually an '06.

EVE: OrangeAfroMan
    Dust514: Andrelommech
    WoT: NorthernNomad
    MWO: Loren Ward

www.twitch.tv/oameve

HEY LOOK AT ME I HAVE A TITAN LordsServant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Longdrinks View Post
    Gotta aim high and get alt into a nyx.
    ...and then eat shit and die trying to move it because supers are laughably easy to murderkillpwn by even the most retarded people these days thanks to that blonde bitch and her BF Fattygay.

Honestly, just use an insured dread if you're going that way. You can whelp ~20 dreads and still spend less than a single super, while doing similar dps or applying said dps better, being harder to tackle/kill, and attracting much less attention for the ship you're flying (having a famous name and ppl recognizing you the second you hit local is ofc a separate thing).

I am a Lamborghini tractor.

Cripes
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Quote Originally Posted by LordsServant View Post
    Honestly, just use an insured dread if you're going that way.
    Moar BLAP PHOENIX footage pls.
    Also man up and do a torp Levi solopvp video.

Quote Originally Posted by n0th View Post
    So you basically want to haze carebears.
    That's a little bit unfair, but not entirely wrong.

If I wanted to generically "haze carebears" I would probably just join CODE and suicide gank miners, or go the old school "Suddenly Ninjas" route and try to bait missioners for fun and profit. (While hugely nerfed in recent years, this was cool while it lasted.)

What I'd like to do is haze "high-end" carebears who may have some teeth and can mount a respectable response if I'm not efficient in my hunting efforts. Meaning that I am willing to accept a fair amount of risk in exchange for my reward. I am also very happy when I kill other hunters/gankers/baiters by beating them at their own game. Don't get me wrong, I am as happy with an easy gank as the next guy, and have had a fair few of them in my day, but while satisfying in the moment (and bringing a nice smile to my face) it's not what I am after in terms of overall gameplay.

For example, in a relatively recent encounter, while hunting in a standard Covops/Proteus duo I attacked a Noctis salvager in J-space while his mates were running a nearby site in some heavy DPS ships. As the salvager was going down they warped a (pirate frig IIRC) tackler on top of me and pinned me down. A few of the site-runners joined in for DPS as the rest were re-shipping for additional points. I finished the salvager, looted it, killed the tackle, and got the hell out of there. What I am looking for is a combo that could have stayed longer to fight the responders longer and had a chance to get some more loot and still get out alive. Don't need to kill everything, but some kind of cool DPS/EWar combo for punch plus slipperiness would be nice.

(Something that could potentially hit an Orca and finish it off before getting totally wrecked by the response because of how many HP there are to burn through is cool too, but that may be a stretch.)

The point is to actually use the acquired skillpoints I've paid for over the last 5 years to do something new and fun and cool, in a (sort of) solo fashion.

WRT suggestions for caps/supercaps - notsureifserious (probnot) and my only caps are a freighter which I haven't used in years and a thanny which I only use as a jumping hauler. Cyno-PVP for me is BlackOps only, and I am a major novice at that at best, but willing to learn.

I am not an elite PVP-er. I used to be an everyday player but for the last year or more I have logged in only very sporadically. Mainly looking to maximize the playing time I have, and I hate PVE.

Want fun. Please help.

The only high-sec 'griefing' I did, other than the odd hulk gank was sitting in recon 3/3 in a domi with drones out to lure in mission baiters. It was pretty funny TBH.
      Spoiler:

(ಠ_ృ) ゛Lady Spank is the best。゛ ~ Xenuria (ಠ_ృ)

Can flipping and high sec war decs was amazing fun the first 1-2 month i played this game (before i became -10).
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Quote Originally Posted by GV View Post

If I wanted to generically "haze carebears" I would probably just join CODE and suicide gank miners, or go the old school "Suddenly Ninjas" route and try to bait missioners for fun and profit. (While hugely nerfed in recent years, this was cool while it lasted.)
    Actually about that.
    Duder notoriously known in the russian community (Liza Calm, you probably never heard of him) did a tremendous write-up about no-effort highsec carebear suspect baiting the other day.

Basically what he would do is sit on Osmon undock in a Vargur w/ suspect timer in low armor/hull. He would have a neutral alt spam point/visible ewar on him and post in local.
    When something worth killing would aggress it became matter of knowing how to bump the aggroed ship out of undock range to then kill it.

Obv. links and HG crystal are absolutely mandatory for this, since a lot of Vargur mids are tackle.
    Last edited by n0th; May 20 2015 at 07:27:40 AM.