hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Serious Healthcare Thread

Much better than expected is fine but it's also a bit misleading. Costs still went up, just not as much as predicted is what they're saying.

The average premium for individual plans sold through EHealthInsurance in California last year was $177 a month. Covered California said the average premium for the three lowest Silver plans statewide was $321 a month, albeit for more comprehensive benefits.

Overall, state officials said they can't estimate yet how much rates will rise on average. Blue Shield of California, one of the winning bidders in the exchange, said its existing individual policyholders would pay about 13% more, on average, for coverage in the state marketplace.

These rates "came in below what people legitimately expected them to be," said Paul Markovich, Blue Shield's chief executive.

Comparing the proposed rates for next year with current premiums is difficult, officials and experts agree, because the healthcare law mandates next year's plans to offer richer benefits and to limit consumers' out-of-pocket expenses.
    So you're looking at a 13% - 50% increase depending on your previous plan. The entire article points out some of the risks and benefits of what may happen in the future.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/may...rates-20130524

Gotta remember the new unspent premiums rule may undo some of these costs. I imagine to a large extent that premiums were based on many actuaries worst case scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    Much better than expected is fine but it's also a bit misleading. Costs still went up, just not as much as predicted is what they're saying.

The average premium for individual plans sold through EHealthInsurance in California last year was $177 a month. Covered California said the average premium for the three lowest Silver plans statewide was $321 a month, albeit for more comprehensive benefits.

Overall, state officials said they can't estimate yet how much rates will rise on average. Blue Shield of California, one of the winning bidders in the exchange, said its existing individual policyholders would pay about 13% more, on average, for coverage in the state marketplace.

These rates "came in below what people legitimately expected them to be," said Paul Markovich, Blue Shield's chief executive.

Comparing the proposed rates for next year with current premiums is difficult, officials and experts agree, because the healthcare law mandates next year's plans to offer richer benefits and to limit consumers' out-of-pocket expenses.
    So you're looking at a 13% - 50% increase depending on your previous plan. The entire article points out some of the risks and benefits of what may happen in the future.

While correct, you forget that citizens will get additional subsidies based on their income that further reduce the cost of the premiums. For example, if you live around double the poverty line, the cost is only in the order of $100 /mo.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I'm doing my best. Well. Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacefalm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post

While correct, you forget that citizens will get additional subsidies based on their income that further reduce the cost of the premiums. For example, if you live around double the poverty line, the cost is only in the order of $100 /mo.
    Bah, I saw that same article on Forbes and it was disingenuous to the extreme. You're comparing plans that have no obligation to cover you on a single reseller vs. a comprehensive plan where coverage will be offered. What about the average cost of all individual insurance plans in 2012? I feel the author just cherry-picked the number here. Oh wait, he then mentions it, 13% according to an insurance provider. That's really not that bad at all, especially if the coverage is universally offered and more comprehensive.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    Bah, I saw that same article on Forbes and it was disingenuous to the extreme. You're comparing plans that have no obligation to cover you on a single reseller vs. a comprehensive plan where coverage will be offered. What about the average cost of all individual insurance plans in 2012? I feel the author just cherry-picked the number here. Oh wait, he then mentions it, 13% according to an insurance provider. That's really not that bad at all, especially if the coverage is universally offered and more comprehensive.
    It's apples to oranges. No one pays quoted rates and the pricing schemes before reflected a market that basically excluded everyone but the healthy and wealthy. So on the individual market people were underpaying because insurers spent a couple decades dumping all the expensive people. Now that they can't discriminate like that anymore people will actually be paying the real price.

Moderator Moderator F*** My Aunt Rita's Avatar
    Whereever particular mexicans congregate.

Not trying to do a picdumpandrun but god damn, didn't know the difference between applicants and pgy1 slots was so large. And PPACA wasn't gonna add that much more money to CMS for more slots. Then again the job market for physicians has changed a lot from just 20 years ago. Don't recall where I saw it, but the mean retirement age for US MD's is ~67. Then up to 1/3 rejoin the job market within 2 years.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    No, I have no idea what the fuck he is talking about either, sorry.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    He has graphs, must be something important.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

PGY-1 are postgrad year 1 students and are the ones who do residency / internship. The graph is showing 15k difference between available positions and the number of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    PGY-1 are postgrad year 1 students and are the ones who do residency / internship. The graph is showing 15k difference between available positions and the number of them.
    Thanks but that doesn't change the fact that a 5 sentance post with 4 seperate unexplained acronyms is terribad.

Thats why I offered a longer explanation.

Congrats you are a better poster than FMAR based on a post-sample size of 2

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolf Miller View Post
    Gotta remember the new unspent premiums rule may undo some of these costs. I imagine to a large extent that premiums were based on many actuaries worst case scenarios.
    Also, you're failing out of case western?

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Whats the issue here? Do you need a longer more detailed explanation that I offered? Or are you just being retarded again?

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Whats the issue here? Do you need a longer more detailed explanation that I offered? Or are you just being retarded again?
    No sorry, thanks for your explanation. I'm criticising FMAR not you.