hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 115 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1565105112113114115116117118 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2495

Thread: <xml><thread isTerrible="true" isUnderstandable="false" /></xml> - Coding help thread

Avro's got enough sharp edges about its ecosystem integration (looking at you timestamp/decimal etc. etc.) that despite it being a core part of my job I hate using it.

Plus the Java API is fucking apalling. Proper Cutting special. Thank god for Twitter's bijection library on that front.

Anybody wants to make a some bucks or knows somebody? Looking for JS, GMaps and design expertise. Basically to improve a non-profit pub crawl site.

TFW you realize your large refactor missed a piece of code that was using a callback and not an promise API. So now whenever somebody provides invalid payment information the entire application server fucks itself and dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aea View Post
    TFW you realize your large refactor missed a piece of code that was using a callback and not an promise API. So now whenever somebody provides invalid payment information the entire application server fucks itself and dies.

ouch
    Будь смиренным, будь кротким, не заботься о тленном
    Власти, данной Богом, сынок, будь навеки верным...
    Я люблю Росcию, я - патриот

Code:
    tail -f /data/logs/ip-10-75-3-222/2017/03/10/srv_monolith.log /data/logs/ip-10-75-66-238/2017/03/10/srv_monolith.log | grep -v -E 'TaxDocFlowGate|LoanAppApiAdditional|TokenRetriever|LenderModelManager|ELB-HealthChecker|ThreadLocalLoanContextSupplier'
    result:
    Code:
    ==> /data/logs/ip-10-75-3-222/2017/03/10/srv_monolith.log <==

==> /data/logs/ip-10-75-66-238/2017/03/10/srv_monolith.log <==

2017-03-10 09:32:18,823 [ExternalServiceHealthMonitor RUNNING] INFO  (ExternalServiceHealthMonitor.java:44) - Checking external service health

2017-03-10 09:32:19,013 [ExternalServiceHealthMonitor RUNNING] INFO  (ExternalServiceHealthMonitor.java:55) - CRAClientImpl reported as healthy

How can I exclude the blank lines? It's Friday and my minimal knowledge of command line tools fails me.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    Code:
    tail -f /data/logs/ip-10-75-3-222/2017/03/10/srv_monolith.log /data/logs/ip-10-75-66-238/2017/03/10/srv_monolith.log | grep -v -E 'TaxDocFlowGate|LoanAppApiAdditional|TokenRetriever|LenderModelManager|ELB-HealthChecker|ThreadLocalLoanContextSupplier'
    result:
    Code:

2017-03-10 09:32:18,823 [ExternalServiceHealthMonitor RUNNING] INFO  (ExternalServiceHealthMonitor.java:44) - Checking external service health

2017-03-10 09:32:19,013 [ExternalServiceHealthMonitor RUNNING] INFO  (ExternalServiceHealthMonitor.java:55) - CRAClientImpl reported as healthy

How can I exclude the blank lines? It's Friday and my minimal knowledge of command line tools fails me.
    Start by adding '-q'.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Just pipe it through something else that ignores blank lines. Google's got a few options for that, like grep -v -e '^$'

Or do the opposite and pipe it to a grep that looks for any non whitespace, if spaces are a problem.
    Last edited by Frug; March 11 2017 at 07:20:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

The config file had the variable mis-spelled, the debug statement added by the original developer had the variable mis-spelled, the actual connection initializer didn't.

Fucking single-character deletions are hide and seek champions.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    Just pipe it through something else that ignores blank lines. Google's got a few options for that, like grep -v -e '^$'

Or do the opposite and pipe it to a grep that looks for any non whitespace, if spaces are a problem.
    thanks, I ended up adding
    Code:
    | grep -v -e '^$' | grep -v '<=='

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
      Spoiler:
    From own experience: works like a charm. Although I abuse my (non-programmer) workmates instead of an innocent rubber duck.

Speaking out loud and trying to explain in layman terms what the code is supposed to do, often leads to the desired "Aha!".

I bug other devs. I don't think they appreciate it.

I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Pair programming is something I encourage. It works pretty well. At very least a review at every upstream merge. A chance to explain the code really helps, I find.
    meh

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    I debug other devs. I don't think they appreciate it.
    fyp

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Pair programming is something I encourage. It works pretty well. At very least a review at every upstream merge. A chance to explain the code really helps, I find.
    Totally agree. It's like having a driver and a navigator. It reduces the cognitive load so one person can focus on driving quickly and accurately and the other can be the idea man and navigate. There's also error correction between the two. Sometimes code really flies like this and I think it can be more productive than 2 separate people.

Also the navigator can hold a whip and make the driver do things he doesn't wanna do, like write tests as he goes.

Totally agree. It's like having a driver and a navigator. It reduces the cognitive load so one person can focus on driving quickly and accurately and the other can be the idea man and navigate. There's also error correction between the two. Sometimes code really flies like this and I think it can be more productive than 2 separate people.

Also the navigator can hold a whip and make the driver do things he doesn't wanna do, like write tests as he goes.
    Precisely. I also find it saves a lot of time on simple things like missing semicolons too.
    meh

Banned
    Precisely. I also find it saves a lot of time on simple things like missing semicolons too.
    So your 'driver' is a compiler?

Even back ~ 25 years ago, when I started programming, the idea that in this (that) day and age, let alone today, a semicolon is still required by the compiler as an EOL/EOS marker didn't/doesn't make sense to me. (CR)LF is not good enough for you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    Even back ~ 25 years ago, when I started programming, the idea that in this (that) day and age, let alone today, a semicolon is still required by the compiler as an EOL/EOS marker didn't/doesn't make sense to me. (CR)LF is not good enough for you?
    There is a difference between requiring and demanding.

When a semicolon is required it means that when the code is compiled your intentions have to be expressed explicitly. I write in some interpreted languages these days and not having the compile-cycle with strict syntax involved is a loss, having to run the whole thing through unit test and integration is rather retarded compared to the immediacy you get when the compiler tells you how retarded your latest changes to a source file really was.

golang is really a healthy middle ground. It lets you get away with not having the semicolon and understands incremental compilation as a tool chain feature.

Until this Friday, I still have to deal with legacy languages that still want the semicolon though...
    meh