hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 124 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2474114121122123124125 LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 2495

Thread: <xml><thread isTerrible="true" isUnderstandable="false" /></xml> - Coding help thread

Doesn't work when the Cheeto-in-Chief would struggle to read Hello World.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Idk about that, and i'm fucking stupid.

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    It's Perl. The joke is that anyone would struggle to read Hello World in it.

The joke is that no one can even produce "Hello world" with Perl, because of it's freakin' syntax

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

It's missing Gru looking at the bottom right in all the subsequent calls.

I quite liked this one out of the recent wave of them that's appeared on reddit.

Possibly wrong thread, but does a single-file / portable mySQL client exist that i can call through powershell without having to install libraries everywhere ?
    Please don't teach me what to do with my pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Itiken View Post
    Possibly wrong thread, but does a single-file / portable mySQL client exist that i can call through powershell without having to install libraries everywhere ?
    Might get a better response in the IT thread, but tbh all the same people post here

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Google says HeidiSQL is portable, and not just tied to MySQL/MariaDB too.

I like dbeaver for this. It’s java based so can connect to absolutely anything with a JDBC driver (p much everything).

It can be run off a usb stick if you put JREs on the stick too.
    meh

FYI in case you missed it: Microsoft bought GitHub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    It's good in the sense that GitHub will probably be eternal now.
    It's bad in that MS are going to be datamining that code repository for all it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel OWeen View Post
    It's bad in that MS are going to be datamining that code repository for all it's worth.
    This is one of the few valid concerns one might raise about that deal. But then again this has been true for any of the big cloud infrastructure providers/services already. Azure, AWS etc. I seem to remember that I read that GitHub used AWS.

But the amount of blind MS hater's rage in comments, citing the long gone CEO Ballmer's "Linux is cancer" and who obviously haven't paid attention to any of the more recent MS developments (both in company strategy and real coding) in regards to the Linux ecosystems, is ridiculous and entertaining at the same time.

What are they going to datamine out of github? It's pretty much public anyway.

Given some of the other companies who could have bought github, MS are probably the best option. They've been really pushing to do more and more in the open source world and seem to be sticking with it.

The nerd rage from people who haven't looked at what MS have done in the last 5 years is great. Lots of people reference Skype and other stuff that was broken before MS picked it up and also a long long time ago, it's only the people in favour of this that seem to be pointing out the LinkedIn and Xamarin buyouts that have gone really well for both platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    What are they going to datamine out of github? It's pretty much public anyway.
    Yeah. The exception being GitHub Enterprise. Not sure how the distribution between source code hold in private vs. public repositories is. But then again that's also a concern with any source code/VCS hosting 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    Given some of the other companies who could have bought github, MS are probably the best option.
    Especially if taking those into consideration, that have a portfolio which includes "development tools" in the broadest sense, i.e. FB very well has the money. And they obviously themselves use a VCS, but their products do not include dev tools.

So that leaves very few viable options.

That's why you run Github Enterprise on premises like a normal person*. That said they'd be fucking insane to try and look at the contents of Enterprise repos. Harvesting metadata and pii about individuals is one thing. Engaging in corporate espionage on your own customers is quite another.

*And also why this acquisition should please you because Github Enterprise is a steaming pile of shit with no features.

Harvesting metadata and pii about individuals is one thing. Engaging in corporate espionage on your own customers is quite another.
    Sounds like the next logical step tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

That's why you run Github Enterprise on premises like a normal person.
    Aha, didn't know that was possible. Browsing the "Price" section of Github for self-hosted Enterprise has that typical "Contact Sales", which often means it costs quite some bucks.

So given that possibility vs. some other self-hosted alternatives which are free, i.e. GitLab community, what's the advantage of doing so? Is GitHub's functionality that much better (for enterprises)?