hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 122 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2272112119120121122
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 2440

Thread: <xml><thread isTerrible="true" isUnderstandable="false" /></xml> - Coding help thread

There is filtering and searching on kanban boards and backlogs, you should also be able group stories by who they are assigned to.
    No, not on the boards. After selecting an iteration in the backlog, on the backlog 'tab' (it's not a tab, tabs would be visually useful and attractive, but that 'button' is basically a tab) you have the usual filter button. Click on 'board' and it's gone. Fucking. Why.

You have to spend time creating a query and toggling all the dumb options to actually display tasks and stories like a sane kanban board to get a query with a board. It is ze vurst. I was told we got a plugin that fixes this part and the product owner did get it working for us. I'm just bitching about how hard it was.

Quote Originally Posted by halbarad View Post
    It does suffer somewhat from being a very generic product but thankfully the extension engine is pretty good and they keep adding more, recently with a few more options around work items. Writing extensions for it is also pretty easy since it's usual typescript with some json configuration docs.
    It's not that anyone hates it because it lacks features. It's just basically impossible for anyone to sit down and start using, we have to onboard people to show them how to use what should be a replacement for a cork board and sticky notes. And we've all used other things like Jira, Version One, Target Process, Phabricator... They all had their warts, granted. This thing feels like the kanban boards were tacked on as an afterthought for simpletons who like to play with blocks, but I'm a simpleton who likes to play with blocks.

This is just built with a different paradigm in mind. It's very enterprisey. I find that consumes more time than its worth. Maybe it's great if you have 1000 employees but we're about 100.

Edit: Oh also it doesn't stop you from making nonsensical mistakes, like setting a task for a sprint 1 under a story that's on sprint 2. You can start the task before the story. How even...
    Last edited by Frug; December 9 2017 at 09:32:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

We still have issues with it and we're at less than 50 people, I end up talking about how to use VSTS/TFS more than I actually use it for day to day as well so some of the features seem great at times but never get used by actual end users for various reasons.

Looking at the backlog for VSTS releases (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vst...se-notes/index) we should hopefully see markdown in work items in the first few sprints in 2018 plus a few other things.

We still have issues with it and we're at less than 50 people, I end up talking about how to use VSTS/TFS more than I actually use it for day to day as well so some of the features seem great at times but never get used by actual end users for various reasons.

Looking at the backlog for VSTS releases (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vst...se-notes/index) we should hopefully see markdown in work items in the first few sprints in 2018 plus a few other things.
    So halbarad, I guess you are the one I should nag when I need TFS (hosted vsts?) help next year?
    Doing CI plus some extras for some bads, everyone on the dev side was like "omg this is impossibru, forget it guys". Nono, its trivial, impossible for your little brain. Quite a fun project and im directly under a guy quite up the chain, only issue is I dont know shit about TFS (thankfully a colleague of mine is there to support me).
    <Devec> hello captain Tyrehl
    <Devec> sailor of the persian seas
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox
    I swear you are some sort of biological weapon developed in the early '90's for the Yugoslav wars but they lost track of you at some point and now you're waging a psychological war on Western Europe without a clue what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrehl View Post

So halbarad, I guess you are the one I should nag when I need TFS (hosted vsts?) help next year?
    Doing CI plus some extras for some bads, everyone on the dev side was like "omg this is impossibru, forget it guys". Nono, its trivial, impossible for your little brain. Quite a fun project and im directly under a guy quite up the chain, only issue is I dont know shit about TFS (thankfully a colleague of mine is there to support me).
    Sure, send me any questions you have. I seem to spend a lot of my time working with it or talking about it.

If you're still doing .net stuff then the CI system is pretty good and you'll be able to use the hosted agents for most of your builds (probably).

You know what developers fucking love?

Having their accounts suspended because they re-used an email. Because I only have one email that I use for every new account I create.

Especially ace when you call support and they can't help you.

Fuckers shut up and take my [corporate card] money.

So, I figure this is probably well behind the skill set of most people posting here, but just in case it's useful: there's a Humble Book Bundle up right now for PythonTM by Packt

At time of writing, it has approximately 6 days to go.

I bought the $1 bundle just for "Python Programming with Raspberry Pi". It's something I keep meaning to delve into. I'm weighing up going back and grabbing the $15 bundle, thinking I should have done so in the first instance.

I for one welcome our new daemon overlords and look forward to their working quietly in the background.
    Last edited by Sparq; January 9 2018 at 01:14:54 PM.

I got the $15 bundle, seemed like a good way to get a bunch of reasonably useful-sounding books (not that I have read any of them so far).

Quote Originally Posted by GeromeDoutrande View Post
    I got the $15 bundle, seemed like a good way to get a bunch of reasonably useful-sounding books (not that I have read any of them so far).
    Yeah I think I'll do that too. I really want "Python Data Science Essentials" but might as well bite down and go all-in this time.

You'd have to pay me $15 to read another Packt book. Absolute dross. It's all self-published nonsense with no real review or editing process.

I'm quite liking LeanPub so far, the few books I've picked up have proven to be pretty well written and edited but I'm usually buying from trusted authors

Learn python the hard way.

That's it. No need for anything else concerning python.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guns make the news, science doesn't.
    Six shooters ruined PvP.
    What are you doing with your life?ęDoomchinchilla 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
    Learn python the hard way.

That's it. No need for anything else concerning python.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except for his irrational hatred of python 3 and the fact that you're supporting a real cunt.

edit: He's since deleted the infamous rant which is how he garnered a lot of his rep as an asshole.

rails is a ghetto
    Last edited by I Legionnaire; January 10 2018 at 10:59:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I Legionnaire View Post
    Guy must be happy knowing he's the first real Web programmer in existence...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hahah holy shit how have I never read that rant.

Interesting read from first Unreal Engine... Amazing what people can do when they don't know it's impossible and think it's already been done

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Davi...eal_Editor.php

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Hahah holy shit how have I never read that rant.
    I’ll never be afraid of some pilsner fresh fat fuck who eats donut hamburgers and only gets exercise when he plays World of Warcraft on a DDR pad.
    I’ve been thinking this over ever since I realized that Mongrel and Rails more or less killed my career. During 2006 I was effectively homeless for about 4-6 months out of the year and made no money at all. During the rest of the year the little money I made was impossible to get, and many times I was simply not paid.
    he's hilarious

The thing is, looking back with the benefit of ten years of hindsight, he wasn't wrong. Ruby was a dead end and Rails was a toxic community. His only serious mistake is his own clear and overwhelming incompetence as a contractor and his inability to see that he's just as bad as the rest of them.