Page 1894 of 1903 FirstFirst ... 89413941794184418841891189218931894189518961897 ... LastLast
Results 37,861 to 37,880 of 38057

Thread: Animated YIFFs are massively furry and so is Overspark [nsfw]

Depends on how much excess thrust the plane has and how much opportunity there is to recover. But probably nothing good.

My favourite flaming hole in the ground euphemism is "controlled flight into terrain".

I miss Aea. Him leaving really did bad things to the signal-to-smarnca/don/xeno ratio on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana Torrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianeces View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    That is why flying is expensive and requires a license that takes hundreds of flight hours and training to do commercially.
    Psure it's to demonstrate the damage a drone-strike could do to an airliner
    Drone strikes are when they dump bombs on a wedding full of brown people. That is a drone collision.
    As much as it pains me to say this, Xeno is correct. The terminology used in the aviation industry for impacts between aircraft and things which are not aircraft is (blank) strike. Birds hitting planes are bird strikes, planes hitting trees are tree strikes, etc.
    This. It also looks more like a light aircraft wing, and while that looks like a lot of damage it's likely it would still be controllable afterwards.

Drones won't do as much damage as the media would like to think. Sure it's not going to recommended to take off with a wing like that and you should land immediately, but you aren't going to explode mid air killing half the population of Europe.
    What happens if one goes through a turbine or the cockpit? as would be feasible during a takeoff/landing when the plane is most vulnerable
    Cockpits should be sturdy enough to survive a drone impact at takeoff/landing speeds. Turbines might be a different matter. They're tested for bird strikes, and while the drones are getting larger, they're generally pretty light and flimsy so that they can fly for more than two minutes.

It'll be inconvenient as hell, but the damage shouldn't lead to crashes so much as simply needing to land and repair.

Hopefully.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Time for stainless steel aiframes i say!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianeces View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post
    That is why flying is expensive and requires a license that takes hundreds of flight hours and training to do commercially.
    Psure it's to demonstrate the damage a drone-strike could do to an airliner
    Drone strikes are when they dump bombs on a wedding full of brown people. That is a drone collision.
    As much as it pains me to say this, Xeno is correct. The terminology used in the aviation industry for impacts between aircraft and things which are not aircraft is (blank) strike. Birds hitting planes are bird strikes, planes hitting trees are tree strikes, etc.
    This. It also looks more like a light aircraft wing, and while that looks like a lot of damage it's likely it would still be controllable afterwards.

Drones won't do as much damage as the media would like to think. Sure it's not going to recommended to take off with a wing like that and you should land immediately, but you aren't going to explode mid air killing half the population of Europe.
    What happens if one goes through a turbine or the cockpit? as would be feasible during a takeoff/landing when the plane is most vulnerable
    About the same and when a medium sized bird hits it.. Most of these (if not all) drones are lighter than medium to large birds and made of plastic. Seagulls hit plains on takeoff/landing all the time and they generally weigh 400-500g. A Mavic pro is 750g. Wikipedia says there are 13,000 bird strikes against aircraft in the US per year. The estimated number of drone strikes last year was zero (all the reported ones turned out to be either birds or in one case, a plastic bag).

Again, its not the most idea situation and you would clearly not want it to happen. Crashes from bird strikes do happen so a crash from a drone strike is possible, but the media hysteria over this is completely out of control.
    Quote Originally Posted by lubica
    And her name was Limul Azgoden, a lowly peasant girl.

Yeah, nah. Not necessarily. The issue isn't mass but density.

Components of a Drone are more dense than a medium sized birds bones. So a turbine that's fine with a bird won't necessarily fair as well with a drone.

It's the frozen vs unfrozen chicken problem.

It is also, admittedly, a touch overblown.

well, fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddy View Post
    well, fuck
    Yep.. i'm not sure I could get up there at all let alone that quickly.... Way to go BD. You couldn't make them glide along like darleks so when they take over just just have to start living on the 2nd floor..

well, fuck
    Yep.. i'm not sure I could get up there at all let alone that quickly.... Way to go BD. You couldn't make them glide along like darleks so when they take over just just have to start living on the 2nd floor..
    The day it can cope with a handful of gravel thrown under it's feet is the day you need to worry (not for a while yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody_Holme View Post
    well, fuck
    The day it can cope with a handful of gravel thrown under it's feet is the day you need to worry (not for a while yet)
    gl applying your caveman gravel technique while that thing barrels down on you at 50 km/h and a shoulder-mounted autocannon slaved to its optics
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot
    Pastry.. That the best you can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by NotXenosis View Post

M8, i have discussions that spam multiple accounts, you aren't even on my level

well, fuck
    gl applying your caveman gravel technique while that thing barrels down on you at 50 km/h and a shoulder-mounted autocannon slaved to its optics
    Yeah lol, pocket sand is nice when you're not dealing with a something like this in the forest at night while it has thermal vision and a gun.

You are going to need EMP.

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    well, fuck
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

By the time our energy storage tech advances to the point where big, slow bipedal killbots start to be a threat, drone swarms will already be slaughtering people.

Last edited by Nicholai Pestot; October 12 2018 at 09:28:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholai Pestot View Post
    By the time our energy storage tech advances to the point where big, slow bipedal killbots start to be a threat, drone swarms will already be slaughtering people.

The future is near.

Quote Originally Posted by Baarhyn View Post
    well, fuck
    Yeah lol, pocket sand is nice when you're not dealing with a something like this in the forest at night while it has thermal vision and a gun.
    Traction is just a materials science problem anyway. Plenty of rnd in the that department from the auto and cycling industrys i wouldnt count on it to save you. The best defence is the same you would employ against a bear or tiger... You just need to run faster than the guy next to you! (Or be an IT engineer so you are green flagged as a usefull asset and not to be reprocessed)

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post
    You just need to run faster than the guy next to you! (Or be an IT engineer so you are green flagged as a usefull asset and not to be reprocessed)
    > IT engineer
    > useful asset

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rumata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Breakers View Post
    You just need to run faster than the guy next to you! (Or be an IT engineer so you are green flagged as a usefull asset and not to be reprocessed)
    > IT engineer
    > useful asset
    Better than someone who works in advertising and media, at least.