hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMA: Video editing software

TMA: Video editing software

What are the good ones out there? I don't need ridiculously high spec software but something better than windows movie maker is good :P free, "free" or cheap... No trials. Anyone have any advice?

Tappin' dat talk

THE PUNISHED
    Sony Vegas is the one I use. It's "up there" with Adobe Premiere but isn't as complicated. AP is good - well, it's "the best", it's the photoshop of video editing but I find its interface to be way, way more complicated than I like and I get easily confused.

I'd say Avid media composer is the best, but then it's only really used on bespoke systems. As ralara said, for the type of editing you're doing, both sony vegas and adobe premiere will be more than capable, so it's up to your personal preference on the interface. I actually prefer premiere out of the two, but that's just me!

As for free, your best option there is Blender. Whilst it's best known for being a free 3d modelling program, its video sequence editor is actually coming along quite nicely, can handle multiple layers, non linear cuts etc.

As with most things blender, there's a fair few tutorials on the internet to help guide you along the way with the video sequence editor.
    Last edited by Greme; January 31 2013 at 11:31:10 PM.

Pirate CS6. Use Premier Pro.

LS6

Super Chillerator Global Moderator teds :D's Avatar
    lol revive

i need a fairly decent, fairly stable (i have to convince IT that this is ok to use) and fairly idiot proof (i need to learn it and train my lemmings too) video editing software. budget is 300ish

main uses would be cutting clips up, basic effects, text overlay, audio editing.

suggestions?

Movember 2011Movember 2012 Nordstern's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teds :D View Post
    lol revive

i need a fairly decent, fairly stable (i have to convince IT that this is ok to use) and fairly idiot proof (i need to learn it and train my lemmings too) video editing software. budget is 300ish

main uses would be cutting clips up, basic effects, text overlay, audio editing.

suggestions?
    Adobe Premiere is $70 to download off Amazon, $100 for a disc. Bill your company $200, claim cost savings, and pocket the difference (or use it to take a class). As was said previously, use Premiere or Sony Vegas.

edit: You could also try Windows Movie Maker or Story Remix, which replaced WMM.
    Last edited by Nordstern; May 24 2017 at 03:58:50 PM.
    "Holy shit, I ask you to stop being autistic and you debate what autistic is." - spasm
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post
    WTF I hate white people now...

>2017
    there is only adobe, m8r

Premier and After Effects are fairly simple and powerful.

Cheers doods

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Lightworks

dubbed 'the most autistic video editing software' by lagman so probably right up ur alley

at least I found it fairly decent

Quote Originally Posted by helgur View Post
    Lightworks

dubbed 'the most autistic video editing software' by lagman so probably right up ur alley

at least I found it fairly decent
    im not autistic

Movember '11 Best Facial Hair, Best 'Tache Movember 2011Movember 2012Donor helgur's Avatar
    Offcourse you're not

But Lightworks is first off all free, and it's good. The level of autism required to operate it, I'll let you be the judge

Semi comedy option: Magix video maker

Posted von mein Tapashitcunt
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Another free option

http://www.openshot.org/download/

It's really basic, go lightworks if you need something "pro"

stop posting garbage you shitters, lightworks and davinci resolve. Both free and both awesome, however when dealing with commercial licenses I think teds would have to stick with lightworks if you want to use it legitimately for free

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Useful thread, I have to find something for the engineers here to use to put together footage from Burn tests and create pre-recorded webinars.
    Lightworks popped up as the best choice but these guys may have multiple degrees but all they know is how to burn buildings down (or supposedly stop them) not the most technically literate.
    I have the webinar guys using OBS for recording (they love it) and was thinking shotcut as gentle introduction to editing, if they need any thing more down the road then lightworks at that point. Am i missing something obvious?

"Kerning is serious business"
    And having an image that does not cause Autism attacks even more so.

I have a similar problem, but with far crazier requirements.

No budget. (literally: €0)

Anemic computers (core2duo).

Our machines are secured using SHN.*

User hdd space is limited to 200mb.

We do have a Magix license but it throws an exception when doing it's start up check because it doesn't like the way the drives are set up apparently.

*Self healing network, some proprietary imaging solution, each machine gets a fresh image on every boot, users have network drives for personal files. So even though we have 500gb drives in each PC, we can't use them because each boot wipes them clean.

I am lost on how to deal with that shit. I am also fairly certain our IT guy won't give me a single PC with better specs or at least without that imaging bullshit. Magix would be fine. BTW just saw on their website, they bought VEGAS from Sony.

At home I have DaVinci Resolve 12.5 installed (the free version, 14 still requires a license).

And I still have a ton of material from school to cut. Right now my students can't do anything because we simply can't work with that stuff.
    nevar forget

That imaging crap will wreck anything the IT dept doesn't sort out themselves. It'll have to go through them mate.

Do you need the software for you only or is it something your dumb kids will need to use? You're probably able to handle lightworks which is what I would recommend for a more resource starved machine but lightworks has to be the most 'on the spectrum' video editing software I've ever seen

I should be home.now but I keep stopping to post. I'm in need of a mega poo. so much so that I'm tempted to leave slurry across one of these gardens and deal with the wiping later. gonna toss a coin

phoneposting

Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post
    That imaging crap will wreck anything the IT dept doesn't sort out themselves. It'll have to go through them mate.

Do you need the software for you only or is it something your dumb kids will need to use? You're probably able to handle lightworks which is what I would recommend for a more resource starved machine but lightworks has to be the most 'on the spectrum' video editing software I've ever seen
    For students.

And IT department = retired computer sciences teacher and our current computer sciences teacher, who'll be on a sabbatical after the Summer break. Computer sciences is a bit too much, it's basic computer literacy.

Anyway, if I had to pick an editor for students and budget not an issue, I'd just get some mac minis and iMovie. Pretty capable but still simple enough. But there's no budget for that nor would that work with that imaging solution.
    nevar forget

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Appleby View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 56k Lagman View Post

For students.

And IT department = retired computer sciences teacher and our current computer sciences teacher, who'll be on a sabbatical after the Summer break. Computer sciences is a bit too much, it's basic computer literacy.

Anyway, if I had to pick an editor for students and budget not an issue, I'd just get some mac minis and iMovie. Pretty capable but still simple enough. But there's no budget for that nor would that work with that imaging solution.
    idk mate this is a tricky one, licensing issues aside you'll probably want something as close to windows movie maker as possible, I believe that is now shotput but I have no idea if it's any use or not. You're spot on about the mac minis and iMovie. Those would be ideal for some little turds to fuck about on

phoneposting

Yeah. I'll need to talk to my principal about the issue as well as the IT guy. I'm fairly certain we can come up with a workable solution. We may be able to budget for a few machines in the next annual budget. I don't need twenty machines, five would be more than enough. I can only get those if nothing else major breaks.

We're going to rewrite our media literacy education concept after the Summer break and install a media literacy education coordinator: me.

Licensing isn't actually a huge deal with Apple or most other companies. They are usually very happy to have schools use their stuff.

Tapapapatalk
    nevar forget