hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Jester for CSM8?

  1. #1
    Donor Sponk's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    AU TZ
    Posts
    11,407

    Jester for CSM8?

    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

    "You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."


  2. #2
    Donor Mike deVoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: Jester for CSM8?

    I like Jester, but I can't recall an occasional where he changed an opinion he had about something (after thinking hard to reach that opinion) after receiving counter facts and counter opinions. (I'd be happy to be meaningfully corrected on this.) Also I'm not so sure being capable of doublethink/cognitive non-dissonance is something to be all that proud of.

    Saying that, I'm sure he'd be very successful and actually great for the CSM. His occasional blips in analysis about game design and causation reasoning are forgivable since no one person [from the CSM] has too much sway wrt game design.
    Last edited by Mike deVoid; January 18 2013 at 06:02:20 AM.

  3. #3
    Leboe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,951
    I often disagree with his gamedesign heavy posts, but I cannot think of someone better qualified to hold the smallgangpvp torch. At the same time, he's mainstream-popular enough to get more votes than just that small, super fragmented part of the community.


    (bias, everyone know's he's in rote, right?)

  4. #4
    Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Elite, vicinity of Altair
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike deVoid View Post
    I like Jester, but I can't recall an occasional where he changed an opinion he had about something (after thinking hard to reach that opinion) after receiving counter facts and counter opinions. (I'd be happy to be meaningfully corrected on this.)
    A half-dozen gathered in about 4-5 minutes:
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2011/...posefully.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/01/herd-ducks.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...-and-pray.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...ven-wrong.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...his-death.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...h-captain.html

    The blog has dozens of others, I just don't feel like depressing myself by looking for them. Your comment surprised me, 'cause correcting course when I'm shown to be wrong is one of the things I really strive to do. I'd be interested in a counter-example or three. I will certainly agree that I disagree with knowledgeable people from time to time, but I think that's when opinions dispute each other, not facts.
    Last edited by Jester; January 19 2013 at 11:38:28 PM.
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

  5. #5
    Donor Mike deVoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: Jester for CSM8?

    I'll read through and attempt to come up with content maybe. If that's your credos then great. It may just be that my opinion differed from yours in the past .

  6. #6
    W0lf Crendraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 26, 2012
    Location
    The United
    Posts
    8,970
    He seems to know what hes talking about (some of his fits are pretty terrible tho), but im not sure if knowing how the game works equals knowing whats good for this game.

  7. #7
    Donor Sponk's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    AU TZ
    Posts
    11,407
    He's better than the average bear at situation analysis (see his work on manufacturing costs, forex) but he's no game designer. Which is fine, because CSM is all about pointing out problems instead of doing CCP's job for them.

    And yes his fits are often suboptimal, but they're not terrible so I'll allow it.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

    "You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."


  8. #8
    Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    9,254
    If nothing else, he's better than Darius III.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

  9. #9
    Donor Sponk's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    AU TZ
    Posts
    11,407
    oh god I hate d3 so much.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

    "You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."


  10. #10

    Join Date
    July 11, 2012
    Location
    Turn Left
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    If nothing else, he's better than Darius III.
    You could say this of literally every other candidate running. I'm not sure that's a standard worth having.

  11. #11
    rojomojo915's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,642
    As long as he doesn't do what most of the recent CSM's have done and fall off the grid after being elected, he will be be an upgrade. +1 vote from me.

  12. #12
    Donor Sponk's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    AU TZ
    Posts
    11,407
    Quote Originally Posted by rojomojo915 View Post
    As long as he doesn't do what most of the recent CSM's have done and fall off the grid after being elected, he will be be an upgrade. +1 vote from me.
    "falling off the grid" for Jester means only three posts per week.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

    "You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."


  13. #13
    Zloco's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9, 2012
    Location
    BALEX
    Posts
    236
    Jester would be my top vote, but i am more pron to give a vote to a true lowsec candidate. The one who will always rise the issues that lowsec has and concentrate only or mostly about it.

  14. #14
    Donor Mike deVoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    6,900

    Re: Jester for CSM8?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike deVoid View Post
    I like Jester, but I can't recall an occasional where he changed an opinion he had about something (after thinking hard to reach that opinion) after receiving counter facts and counter opinions. (I'd be happy to be meaningfully corrected on this.)
    A half-dozen gathered in about 4-5 minutes:
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2011/...posefully.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/01/herd-ducks.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...-and-pray.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...ven-wrong.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...his-death.html
    http://jestertrek.blogspot.com/2012/...h-captain.html

    The blog has dozens of others, I just don't feel like depressing myself by looking for them. Your comment surprised me, 'cause correcting course when I'm shown to be wrong is one of the things I really strive to do. I'd be interested in a counter-example or three. I will certainly agree that I disagree with knowledgeable people from time to time, but I think that's when opinions dispute each other, not facts.
    You've done it again with your lurker enablers in you Tuesday blog. Dude, there is no such thing as a lurker enabler. Two step tried to explain this to you on twitter, but apparently you think this is a matter of opinion, not fact, and so have not updated or amended your blog post.

    Also there are a fair few medium to large corps across high low and null who love new players. See Eve Uni, the FW reddit alliance (we whip our slaves back and forth) and Test alliance.
    Last edited by Mike deVoid; January 31 2013 at 06:55:41 AM.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    April 30, 2011
    Location
    AVRSE [TISHU]
    Posts
    1,538
    I, too, was a little confused by that post.

    Unless you mean that they "enable" people to kill their 12b ISK ratting Golems or something.

  16. #16
    Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Elite, vicinity of Altair
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike deVoid View Post
    Also there are a fair few medium to large corps across high low and null who love new players. See Eve Uni, the FW reddit alliance (we whip our slaves back and forth) and Test alliance.
    Yep, I agree with you. That's why I said there are a few "none of the above" options. RvB is another. But these are the exceptions, not the rule. Unifex himself says right in the minutes he wants to engineer the game so there are good reasons for corps at all levels of the game to try to pull in players at every level of the game.

    As for the rest... I'm willing to say I was wrong when it's shown I was wrong. I respect Two step's position, but other people who were in the room have told me I got it right.

    That said, the main point of that post was to get people talking about the problems it brought up. It seems to be doing that successfully and with any luck, CCP will clarify their position in a dev-blog.
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

  17. #17
    Donor Mike deVoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    6,900
    http://www.evealtruist.com/2013/03/s...ution.html?m=1


    Wondering if genuine mea culpa results, or not. I don't expect someone to be able to be correct 100% of the time, but I will judge them by how they react when they make mistakes.

    As an aside Jester, the only issue with the tracking formula is that the (sig rad/sig res) ratio has no bearing on hit chance as transversal approaches zero.

  18. #18
    Leboe's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,951
    As I've mentioned a few times on this blog, I am a rare mutant that -- when I am wrong -- I admit that I'm wrong. And dear Heaven was I wrong this week... inexcusably, embarrassingly wrong.
    sounds like it to me

  19. #19
    Donor Sponk's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    AU TZ
    Posts
    11,407
    Decent recovery, next time don't put your testicles on an anvil.
    Contract stuff to Seraphina Amaranth.

    "You give me the awful impression - I hate to have to say - of someone who hasn't read any of the arguments against your position. Ever."


  20. #20
    Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Elite, vicinity of Altair
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike deVoid View Post
    Wondering if genuine mea culpa results, or not. I don't expect someone to be able to be correct 100% of the time, but I will judge them by how they react when they make mistakes.
    So, Mike? How'd I do?
    Ripard Teg (among others)... what's our new alliance called again?
    I was once Deemed Worthy To Wield The Banhammer, to good effect. Or at least, that's what most of EVE believes.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •