hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boxing/Fighting gyms and learning martial arts as an adult

Donor
    Where do you live?

If you get the chance, go and have a look at DefenceLab.

It's mainly developed by this guy: Andy Norman

Formerly known as KFM (Keysi Fighting Method), but the two founders, Andy and Justo, went different ways not long ago.

If you are interested in more info just PM me. I started the instructor training this year. Been training it since 2009.

Except he specifically said not MMA.

bit of a necro, but i'm saving the environment by recycling man made threads.

Can anyone recommend good resources for beginner home based heavy bag training. the place i have moved into has a bag set up in the garage and it's been calling out to me. i think i'd enjoy using it as supplemental exercise and a form of stress relief/meditation. I've had a look about for youtube channels etc, but every single one has a bunch of internet warriors criticising the advice given, and i'm not in a position to judge whether it's people being autistic neckbeards or the channel is legitimately giving bad advice.

did have a look for local boxing / martial arts classes near by, but nothing available that matches my work hours unfortunately (i work evenings)

You don't need a resource to hit a bag just buy some heavy bag mitts and belt away.... and don't watch Youcrap videos, grab a decent book on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post

Can anyone recommend good resources for beginner home based heavy bag training. the place i have moved into has a bag set up in the garage and it's been calling out to me. i think i'd enjoy using it as supplemental exercise and a form of stress relief/meditation. I've had a look about for youtube channels etc, but every single one has a bunch of internet warriors criticising the advice given, and i'm not in a position to judge whether it's people being autistic neckbeards or the channel is legitimately giving bad advice.

did have a look for local boxing / martial arts classes near by, but nothing available that matches my work hours unfortunately (i work evenings)
    Did 3.5 years of MMA, helping teach beginner kickboxing and self defense classes.

I'd strongly recommend you don't just get a heavy bag at home til you know what you're doing. At best you're gonna train bad punches. At worst, you could break something.

Once you have the basics of striking down, absolutely get a heavy bag. I've been trying to give away mine for 2 fuckin years but apparently no one in Seattle wants one even for free.

You may be able to find some kickboxing or boxing classes in the morning at local gyms, but make sure they're not cardio kickboxing. That's just flailing around like an autist for an hour.

Edit: also ban April 10 2011s

might be a good idea to go for boxing lessons for a month or two to actually learn correct punching

thumbs are a bitch

Quote Originally Posted by DracheK View Post

Did 3.5 years of MMA, helping teach beginner kickboxing and self defense classes.

I'd strongly recommend you don't just get a heavy bag at home til you know what you're doing. At best you're gonna train bad punches. At worst, you could break something.

Once you have the basics of striking down, absolutely get a heavy bag. I've been trying to give away mine for 2 fuckin years but apparently no one in Seattle wants one even for free.

You may be able to find some kickboxing or boxing classes in the morning at local gyms, but make sure they're not cardio kickboxing. That's just flailing around like an autist for an hour.

Edit: also ban April 10 2011s
    i'm not getting a bag, it's a case of having moved into a place that already has a bag set up. i already said that. there aren't any lessons nearby that fit around my working hours, I already said that too (i work 3-11pm mon/tue/fri/sat/sun and volunteer 2-9 wed/thur. i need my mornings for study). it's concern about starting with bad habits that led me to ask the question, see i'm all sensible and shit!!
    Last edited by Shiodome; October 5 2017 at 01:09:50 PM.

int garage, Strip off, Hit it like it's your ex till your limbs bleed. feel's good rite ?

aye, nowt like a reet good bit o' simulated wife batterin' if there's owt ye got to gerrof yer chest.

anyway, it's been interesting to discover how little control i have over my feet. unless i go pretty fucking slow i really struggle to keep my right heel down on a left hook (following a right cross). always seem to end up on my toes on both feet. it's fucking infuriating

Super Baderator DonorGlobal Moderator cullnean's Avatar
    The tower of power, too sweet to be sour, ohhhh yeahh!
    aye, nowt like a reet good bit o' simulated wife batterin' if there's owt ye got to gerrof yer chest.

anyway, it's been interesting to discover how little control i have over my feet. unless i go pretty fucking slow i really struggle to keep my right heel down on a left hook (following a right cross). always seem to end up on my toes on both feet. it's fucking infuriating
    Just means you are putting your weight forward, comes with practice

Sent from my CUBOT CHEETAH 2 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Elriche Oshego View Post
    Cullneshi the god of shitposting.