hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1040 of 1086 FirstFirst ... 40540940990103010371038103910401041104210431050 ... LastLast
Results 20,781 to 20,800 of 21720

Thread: Political Shots Fired Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Having negotiated the world of academia in order to attain a PhD I'd argue they are probably more useful and capable of economic output than the majority of corporate drones.
    Except most of the time, what they where taught is so ideologically tainted as to be more or less useless in the trenches.

Same as it ever was. Same as it ever was.
    What does this even mean?

Most business tasks have nothing to do with ideologies. They're mainly "find out what this person is doing", "see what these people need help with", "do these basic tasks you are overqualified for", "tell this guy to stop being a cunt in a polite way".

If its a technical role then you just need to make sure your management chain know any technical limitations and not lie excessively on your CV.
    When you got taught every problem in a nail, you have to be untaught that.
    What sort of PhD's do your universities churn out? I know US PhD is pretty thin in comparison to many European ones, but still. O.o

In FI I see most MSc's and economy types being the 'every problem is a nail' types while PhD's are actually pretty versatile in how they approach problems. I think everyone just shits on the PhD's because, well, they are unhappy when a PhD starts pointing out your reasoning is shit and your plan smells of poop from miles away. =D

But then again, I may just work with a pretty select group of individuals who many have technical qualifications in addition to their PhDs in some other field, so it might a biased opinion.
    If they have technical qualifications, it kind of implies some real world experience. I'm talking about school leavers.
    meh

Having negotiated the world of academia in order to attain a PhD I'd argue they are probably more useful and capable of economic output than the majority of corporate drones.
    Except most of the time, what they where taught is so ideologically tainted as to be more or less useless in the trenches.

Most business tasks have nothing to do with ideologies. They're mainly "find out what this person is doing", "see what these people need help with", "do these basic tasks you are overqualified for", "tell this guy to stop being a cunt in a polite way".

If its a technical role then you just need to make sure your management chain know any technical limitations and not lie excessively on your CV.
    What sort of PhD's do your universities churn out? I know US PhD is pretty thin in comparison to many European ones, but still. O.o

In FI I see most MSc's and economy types being the 'every problem is a nail' types while PhD's are actually pretty versatile in how they approach problems. I think everyone just shits on the PhD's because, well, they are unhappy when a PhD starts pointing out your reasoning is shit and your plan smells of poop from miles away. =D

But then again, I may just work with a pretty select group of individuals who many have technical qualifications in addition to their PhDs in some other field, so it might a biased opinion.
    My experience with phds is mixed. Some are very intelligent and clever people who know how to approach and solve problems while others are just experts in their specialized field and completely utterly useless outside of it. Personally i think it has more to do with the person in question than just their level of education.

I've found American degrees are almost a step below their worldwide equivalents until you get to PhDs; a bachelor's is worthless and equivalent to a high school education, a masters will get you a bachelors level of knowledge, and a PhD is where you separate the chaff from the wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post

My experience with phds is mixed. Some are very intelligent and clever people who know how to approach and solve problems while others are just experts in their specialized field and completely utterly useless outside of it. Personally i think it has more to do with the person in question than just their level of education.
    That has been my impression too. Some are strictly subject matter experts and are not especially intelligent compared to other people. I think a lot of smart people wisely avoid the hemorrhoids that is PhD studies, so a sizable chunk of phds just know how to crunch through the workload and pay their dues into a patronage/mentor system
    Last edited by mewninn; December 10 2018 at 07:18:30 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztick View Post

I've found American degrees are almost a step below their worldwide equivalents until you get to PhDs; a bachelor's is worthless and equivalent to a high school education, a masters will get you a bachelors level of knowledge, and a PhD is where you separate the chaff from the wheat.
    Quite right. Europeans find the major/minor system bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    C. PhDs are a poor indicator of future success in all the areas I've worked in. I suspect this is largely because a significant subset of PhDs just fell into doing the PhD because they couldn't think of anything better to do after finishing their undergraduate studies.

See also: teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

The flexibility of thinking is highly dependent on the school here, based on my observation, tbh.
    meh

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Djan Seriy Anaplian View Post

The flexibility of thinking is highly dependent on the school here, based on my observation, tbh.
    Yeh fair point, just making a comment on the major/minor system as it’s really weird in the context of uni education.

Which is a shame, really. I'll probably end up getting a masters while I work, but after watching what grad school has done to some of my family, there's no way in hell I'll go back for a PhD.

Granted, I'm in a field where education only matters for getting your first job, a bachelors is adequate, and after that it's all about experience.
    Totally not Victoria Stecker forgetting his password and not having access to his work email.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    So Sargoy of Mossad got kicked off Patreon (for no reason at all) and he's mightily upset...
    Oh now he cares about consent and boundaries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

Banned
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanis View Post
    So Sargoy of Mossad got kicked off Patreon (for no reason at all) and he's mightily upset...
    NO REASON AT ALL

lol... "no reason"

Lark being lark.

"ideologically tainted"

aka doesn't think the exact same way as me

goddamn from nuggets like this it's so transparent you're a fucking awful boss to work for no matter how much you pretend otherwise, perfectly in line with your usual beyond hypocritical political babbling

lmao
    Last edited by Isyel; December 13 2018 at 11:26:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    lol... "no reason"

Lark being lark.

"ideologically tainted"

aka doesn't think the exact same way as me

goddamn from nuggets like this it's so transparent you're a fucking awful boss to work for no matter how much you pretend otherwise, perfectly in line with your usual beyond hypocritical political babbling

lmao
    Like you'd ever get a chance to find out...
    meh

Food for thought.

I think this is relevant to the above post since Peterson seems to be the spiritual leader of the incels

if you ever have the chance to watch the pervert's guide to ideology, do it, twice even since I struggled to grasp the whole message on the first viewing
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; January 9 2019 at 09:13:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Venec View Post
    Food for thought.

This is a very good video actually tbh, well put.

Some decent analysis in the comments there

I think there's just as much a case to be made that incels – and so-called Nice Guys™ – see themselves as the Slave, and see women as the Master.

Listening to their rhetoric, they think women have all the power, and speak of being denied sex like how a Master denies a Slave money or food. Or, put another way, they think of themselves as Slaves who are entitled to be Masters.

That's one of the problems with the Master-Slave dialectic as it's traditionally depicted: people can be (or at least see themselves as) both a Master and a Slave at the same time.

this incel shit is just fucking depressing
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    this incel shit is just fucking depressing
    As much as circumstances that created this movement.