hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1030 of 1033 FirstFirst ... 3053093098010201027102810291030103110321033 LastLast
Results 20,581 to 20,600 of 20648

Thread: Political Shots Fired Thread

Unfortunately they both do.

Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Well, when last did they crawl through the dongas of Mafekeng?
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I've seen occasional articles decrying the Army Cadet Force and other military cadet associations while ironically praising the scouts, ironically ignorant of the martial background of that particular organisation.

At the end of the day they're not a "proper" scouting body anyway. The Girl Scouts of the USA would be called Girl Guides in most other countries. All the old-style Girl Guiding organisations are facing the same problems. Scouts have modernised, are open to any and all comers and have suites of activities (and membership waiting lists) to match. Guiding still places a huge emphasis on traditionally feminine activities, and in the UK recently decided to get themselves into a whole lot of bother by wading into the whole "who gets to decide your gender" internet argument business. It needs cleaning out and should strongly consider just doing away with itself.
    Given the push for girls to engage in more masculine activities (without the opposite happening) I'm not surprised Girl Guides/Girl Scout membership is in decline (my neice chose the Scouts over the Girl Guides about 10-15 years ago because she could do more outdoorsy stuff, despite being the only girl in her troop for a while). There'd be more benefit in allowing both groups to merge and encouraging boys to do a bit of sewing and baking.

girl scouts just dont want anyone threatening their sweet sweet cookie dough

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    girl scouts just dont want anyone threatening their sweet sweet cookie dough
    Vicious little salesdemons, all of them.
    meh

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    I've seen occasional articles decrying the Army Cadet Force and other military cadet associations while ironically praising the scouts, ironically ignorant of the martial background of that particular organisation.

At the end of the day they're not a "proper" scouting body anyway. The Girl Scouts of the USA would be called Girl Guides in most other countries. All the old-style Girl Guiding organisations are facing the same problems. Scouts have modernised, are open to any and all comers and have suites of activities (and membership waiting lists) to match. Guiding still places a huge emphasis on traditionally feminine activities, and in the UK recently decided to get themselves into a whole lot of bother by wading into the whole "who gets to decide your gender" internet argument business. It needs cleaning out and should strongly consider just doing away with itself.
    Given the push for girls to engage in more masculine activities (without the opposite happening) I'm not surprised Girl Guides/Girl Scout membership is in decline (my neice chose the Scouts over the Girl Guides about 10-15 years ago because she could do more outdoorsy stuff, despite being the only girl in her troop for a while). There'd be more benefit in allowing both groups to merge and encouraging boys to do a bit of sewing and baking.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Cadet_Force

The CCF was one of the two options given to all 15yr olds at my school (the other being... drama studies) as Friday sessions

Honestly? It was fucking great, I got to use guns, run around in camo/roll in the mud

My branch (RAF, fuck you) got sent to RAF Odiham for 2 weeks to look at Chinooks, fuck around in gliders and generally give actual service-personnel a giggle

downsides: 4 hours at parade rest for liberation day, getting beaten up by other branches because we had newer gear (lol, marines were still on 25yr old camo patterns)
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; November 9 2018 at 12:40:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4
    My branch (RAF, fuck you) got sent to RAF Odiham for 2 weeks to look at Chinooks, fuck around in gliders and generally give actual service-personnel a giggle

downsides: 4 hours at parade rest for liberation day, getting beaten up by other branches because we had newer gear (lol, marines were still on 25yr old camo patterns)
    Boo hoo. And fuck you too.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4

Boo hoo. And fuck you too.
    Rude, couldn't you afford manners at your school?

Around here, every board game convention has a table selling girl scout cookies to fat neck beards. Brilliant marketing, really.

Do they camp and stuff, only see them selling cookies.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

A policewoman has been awarded a 15,000 sex discrimination payout because she could not carry a dog up a hill during a test to become a handler.

PC Kim-Louise Carter, who remains a serving police officer earning about 25,000 a year, won the taxpayer-funded compensation after complaining that the attempted 70-yard uphill trek, carrying a police dog called Hulk, left her legs feeling ‘like jelly’.

Even though employment tribunal judges noted that three out of four female candidates completed the task, they ruled it was unfair on women and must be made easier, while instructors must undergo ‘equality training’.

telegraph, metro and the sun have it, must be truez

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    A policewoman has been awarded a 15,000 sex discrimination payout because she could not carry a dog up a hill during a test to become a handler.

PC Kim-Louise Carter, who remains a serving police officer earning about 25,000 a year, won the taxpayer-funded compensation after complaining that the attempted 70-yard uphill trek, carrying a police dog called Hulk, left her legs feeling ‘like jelly’.

Even though employment tribunal judges noted that three out of four female candidates completed the task, they ruled it was unfair on women and must be made easier, while instructors must undergo ‘equality training’.

telegraph, metro and the sun have it, must be truez
    Jezus Christ if its true...

loluk
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

It likely is true.

The UK police have the fitness test standards set at what a woman should achieve, therefore is ludicrously easy for any bloke that is half arsed about themselves. Therefore if a relatively fit woman couldn't do the dog test, it makes sense she has a case according to the standards they have set.

Contrary to HM Forces who have separate fitness standards for men and women - more about "effort" for that age and gender

UK police are incompetent anyway, on the off chance you see a policeman on the streets they rarely look like prime physical specimens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    UK police are incompetent anyway, on the off chance you see a policeman on the streets they rarely look like prime physical specimens.
    Bit of a generalised statement there.....

And I disagree about the "physical" bit. I've seen plenty the opposite, far in higher proportion than when I was in the military. Not sure about whether they're competant or not, no real experience with them (good boy)

At least in Finland demands to lower the physical requirements for women firefighters was met with universal "Nope, not doing that, same requirements for everyone"

Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    At least in Finland demands to lower the physical requirements for women firefighters was met with universal "Nope, not doing that, same requirements for everyone"
    Firefighters save lives in dangerous conditions though.

Police turn up as part of the form filling ritual for an insurance claim several hours after you've been robbed and occasionally stand around looking bored and poking tramps in train stations. Completely different work environments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Knowing quite a few UK Police that have been injured doing their jobs by drunks, junkies and various other pieces of shit, i'm inclined to say that Keckers is full of shit on this one. But his biases are well known on this subject, as are mine so YMMV.

That said, the discrimination payout is pretty bullshit.

Where did the policeman touch you, Keckers?

edit: fuck beaten

So was Hot Fuzz a documentary or a comedy??