hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 1030 of 1033 FirstFirst ... 3053093098010201027102810291030103110321033 LastLast
Results 20,581 to 20,600 of 20648

Thread: Political Shots Fired Thread

  1. #20581

    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    6,618
    Unfortunately they both do.

  2. #20582
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,377
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Unfortunately they both do.
    Well, when last did they crawl through the dongas of Mafekeng?
    meh

  3. #20583
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Unfortunately they both do.
    Well, when last did they crawl through the dongas of Mafekeng?
    I've seen occasional articles decrying the Army Cadet Force and other military cadet associations while ironically praising the scouts, ironically ignorant of the martial background of that particular organisation.

    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    At the end of the day they're not a "proper" scouting body anyway. The Girl Scouts of the USA would be called Girl Guides in most other countries. All the old-style Girl Guiding organisations are facing the same problems. Scouts have modernised, are open to any and all comers and have suites of activities (and membership waiting lists) to match. Guiding still places a huge emphasis on traditionally feminine activities, and in the UK recently decided to get themselves into a whole lot of bother by wading into the whole "who gets to decide your gender" internet argument business. It needs cleaning out and should strongly consider just doing away with itself.
    Given the push for girls to engage in more masculine activities (without the opposite happening) I'm not surprised Girl Guides/Girl Scout membership is in decline (my neice chose the Scouts over the Girl Guides about 10-15 years ago because she could do more outdoorsy stuff, despite being the only girl in her troop for a while). There'd be more benefit in allowing both groups to merge and encouraging boys to do a bit of sewing and baking.


  4. #20584
    Straight Hustlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 14, 2011
    Posts
    10,397
    girl scouts just dont want anyone threatening their sweet sweet cookie dough

  5. #20585
    Donor erichkknaar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    11,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Hustlin View Post
    girl scouts just dont want anyone threatening their sweet sweet cookie dough
    Vicious little salesdemons, all of them.
    meh

  6. #20586
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    5,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Totally Not Larkonnis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Unfortunately they both do.
    Well, when last did they crawl through the dongas of Mafekeng?
    I've seen occasional articles decrying the Army Cadet Force and other military cadet associations while ironically praising the scouts, ironically ignorant of the martial background of that particular organisation.

    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    At the end of the day they're not a "proper" scouting body anyway. The Girl Scouts of the USA would be called Girl Guides in most other countries. All the old-style Girl Guiding organisations are facing the same problems. Scouts have modernised, are open to any and all comers and have suites of activities (and membership waiting lists) to match. Guiding still places a huge emphasis on traditionally feminine activities, and in the UK recently decided to get themselves into a whole lot of bother by wading into the whole "who gets to decide your gender" internet argument business. It needs cleaning out and should strongly consider just doing away with itself.
    Given the push for girls to engage in more masculine activities (without the opposite happening) I'm not surprised Girl Guides/Girl Scout membership is in decline (my neice chose the Scouts over the Girl Guides about 10-15 years ago because she could do more outdoorsy stuff, despite being the only girl in her troop for a while). There'd be more benefit in allowing both groups to merge and encouraging boys to do a bit of sewing and baking.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Cadet_Force

    The CCF was one of the two options given to all 15yr olds at my school (the other being... drama studies) as Friday sessions

    Honestly? It was fucking great, I got to use guns, run around in camo/roll in the mud

    My branch (RAF, fuck you) got sent to RAF Odiham for 2 weeks to look at Chinooks, fuck around in gliders and generally give actual service-personnel a giggle

    downsides: 4 hours at parade rest for liberation day, getting beaten up by other branches because we had newer gear (lol, marines were still on 25yr old camo patterns)
    Last edited by XenosisMk4; November 9 2018 at 12:40:05 AM.

  7. #20587
    SteeleResolve's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    AKA Pubbie McLemming
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4
    My branch (RAF, fuck you) got sent to RAF Odiham for 2 weeks to look at Chinooks, fuck around in gliders and generally give actual service-personnel a giggle

    downsides: 4 hours at parade rest for liberation day, getting beaten up by other branches because we had newer gear (lol, marines were still on 25yr old camo patterns)
    Boo hoo. And fuck you too.

  8. #20588
    XenosisMk4's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 13, 2017
    Location
    More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Posts
    5,143
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleResolve View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4
    My branch (RAF, fuck you) got sent to RAF Odiham for 2 weeks to look at Chinooks, fuck around in gliders and generally give actual service-personnel a giggle

    downsides: 4 hours at parade rest for liberation day, getting beaten up by other branches because we had newer gear (lol, marines were still on 25yr old camo patterns)
    Boo hoo. And fuck you too.
    Rude, couldn't you afford manners at your school?

  9. #20589
    Dorvil Barranis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18, 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,079
    Around here, every board game convention has a table selling girl scout cookies to fat neck beards. Brilliant marketing, really.

    Do they camp and stuff, only see them selling cookies.
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang


  10. #20590
    Movember 2011 RazoR's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The Motherland
    Posts
    29,950
    A policewoman has been awarded a 15,000 sex discrimination payout because she could not carry a dog up a hill during a test to become a handler.

    PC Kim-Louise Carter, who remains a serving police officer earning about 25,000 a year, won the taxpayer-funded compensation after complaining that the attempted 70-yard uphill trek, carrying a police dog called Hulk, left her legs feeling ‘like jelly’.

    Even though employment tribunal judges noted that three out of four female candidates completed the task, they ruled it was unfair on women and must be made easier, while instructors must undergo ‘equality training’.


    telegraph, metro and the sun have it, must be truez

  11. #20591
    מלך יהודים Zeekar's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Posts
    15,203
    Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    A policewoman has been awarded a 15,000 sex discrimination payout because she could not carry a dog up a hill during a test to become a handler.

    PC Kim-Louise Carter, who remains a serving police officer earning about 25,000 a year, won the taxpayer-funded compensation after complaining that the attempted 70-yard uphill trek, carrying a police dog called Hulk, left her legs feeling ‘like jelly’.

    Even though employment tribunal judges noted that three out of four female candidates completed the task, they ruled it was unfair on women and must be made easier, while instructors must undergo ‘equality training’.


    telegraph, metro and the sun have it, must be truez
    Jezus Christ if its true...


    

  12. #20592
    Movember 2012 Stoffl's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    The original viennese waffle
    Posts
    22,080
    loluk
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

  13. #20593
    SteeleResolve's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    AKA Pubbie McLemming
    Posts
    3,221
    It likely is true.

    The UK police have the fitness test standards set at what a woman should achieve, therefore is ludicrously easy for any bloke that is half arsed about themselves. Therefore if a relatively fit woman couldn't do the dog test, it makes sense she has a case according to the standards they have set.

    Contrary to HM Forces who have separate fitness standards for men and women - more about "effort" for that age and gender

  14. #20594
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    17,097
    UK police are incompetent anyway, on the off chance you see a policeman on the streets they rarely look like prime physical specimens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  15. #20595
    SteeleResolve's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    AKA Pubbie McLemming
    Posts
    3,221
    Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    UK police are incompetent anyway, on the off chance you see a policeman on the streets they rarely look like prime physical specimens.
    Bit of a generalised statement there.....

    And I disagree about the "physical" bit. I've seen plenty the opposite, far in higher proportion than when I was in the military. Not sure about whether they're competant or not, no real experience with them (good boy)

  16. #20596

    Join Date
    April 10, 2011
    Location
    Pizza delivery van
    Posts
    6,241
    At least in Finland demands to lower the physical requirements for women firefighters was met with universal "Nope, not doing that, same requirements for everyone"

  17. #20597
    Keckers's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 31, 2012
    Posts
    17,097
    Quote Originally Posted by depili View Post
    At least in Finland demands to lower the physical requirements for women firefighters was met with universal "Nope, not doing that, same requirements for everyone"
    Firefighters save lives in dangerous conditions though.

    Police turn up as part of the form filling ritual for an insurance claim several hours after you've been robbed and occasionally stand around looking bored and poking tramps in train stations. Completely different work environments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

  18. #20598

    Join Date
    April 9, 2012
    Location
    Pit of depravity
    Posts
    7,265
    Knowing quite a few UK Police that have been injured doing their jobs by drunks, junkies and various other pieces of shit, i'm inclined to say that Keckers is full of shit on this one. But his biases are well known on this subject, as are mine so YMMV.

    That said, the discrimination payout is pretty bullshit.

  19. #20599
    SteeleResolve's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 13, 2011
    Location
    AKA Pubbie McLemming
    Posts
    3,221
    Where did the policeman touch you, Keckers?

    edit: fuck beaten

  20. #20600
    Approaching Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8, 2013
    Posts
    7,678
    So was Hot Fuzz a documentary or a comedy??

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •