hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 969 of 1028 FirstFirst ... 4698699199599669679689699709719729791019 ... LastLast
Results 19,361 to 19,380 of 20546

Thread: Political Shots Fired Thread

I agree. If the BBC gave a shit this would be an article about the phenomenon of commercial "news" writers churning out half a dozen articles a day about complete non-issues, completely fabricating controversies to drive clicks all based on fucking implementation details of an advertising engine written by a bunch of drugged up californians who fundamentally believe government is evil.

But they don't, because the people doing the writing are all the same now - happiest when rolling in dat exposure.

tbh i never understood the waaaa waaaa cultural appropriation is bad and racist mmmkay crowd

it's not a fucking zero sum game, you don't lose your culture when someone emulates you, i'd even say it's vice versa - your culture has now influenced even more people. Cultural victory is a thing not only in Civilization games
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Lief Siddhe View Post
    tbh i never understood the waaaa waaaa cultural appropriation is bad and racist mmmkay crowd

it's not a fucking zero sum game, you don't lose your culture when someone emulates you, i'd even say it's vice versa - your culture has now influenced even more people. Cultural victory is a thing not only in Civilization games
    People have a problem with their culture becoming commodified and the resulting alienation this can lead to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    wowit'sfuckingnothing.png

I think the problem resides in the fact that most people don't know that " their " Culture is an pot of other cultures.

Better education and less stupidity will solve this , I hope.

Enviado do meu SM-G900F através do Tapatalk

If your culture is so weak it is threatened by a dumb teenagers hairstyle, it probably doesn’t deserve to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elmicker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Flare View Post
    its not like the 4 top google results for her name are now bashing her for "cultural appropriation"
    Google results are:
    1) Tailored to your interests
    2) Skewed towards news providers, particularly those signed up to AMP
    3) Skewed towards recent articles.

Throw in that all news sites simply recycle stories from one another and hey presto, instant micro-controversies based on insignificant social media bubbles because they're cheap to write and bring in the clicks.
    sure, but reach is what turns micro-controversies into larger controversies and affects groupthink, which is the point i was badly making with the reference to search results
    Yea but it means it's a grand total of s few retards being retarded and could easily be dismissed but it gets amplified by Google etc. Showing you controversial things you might be interested it because it's more likely to get you to click and pay attention.

In the end it's fucking nothing but gets amplified to idiotic levels because of it. In other news some people are dumb on the internet, shocking.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Dreadlocks are a Jew thing anyway. Samson (of Samson & Delilah fame in the Old Testament) had 7 locks of hair, and was a Nazarite (a sort of weird cult who never cut their hair, among other things). Some groups of Jews wear dreadlocks because of this. The hairstyle is hardly exclusive to one culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

People have a problem with their culture becoming commodified and the resulting alienation this can lead to.
    Oh no they got Keckers too

Do you think the Cuban proletariat should give up rice because it was appropriated from the Chinese immigrant minority?

i wouldnt care if she wore dildo earrings as long as she can sing

probably not the case though so double noncare

also you'd see someone with dreads here and there for the last 50 years but now it's suddenly not ok? lmao

actually wait, dildo earrings sound boss

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post

Do you think the Cuban proletariat should give up rice because it was appropriated from the Chinese immigrant minority?
    That's not appropriation. Poor dialectic, try again.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Except it is. In fact basically everything in Cuban culture was appropriated from other cultures.

Did you know that white people aren't allowed to cook certain foods for profit? True story.

This of course ignores the fact that there are white hispanics, but fucking dumb american 'leftists' with no knowledge of the world outside their borders don't know that.

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/ind...s_cultura.html

Anh Luu is the chef/owner at Tapalaya, a contemporary Cajun/Creole restaurant in Northeast Portland where she combines the flavors of her Vietnamese heritage with recipes drawn from her hometown of New Orleans.

What are your thoughts on cultural appropriation with restaurants? It's all so blurry because all foods have kind of the same thing in different ways. You can't really say, 'I stole this recipe from someone' because chances are that person borrowed it from someone else or mixed someone else's recipe with their own. It's hard to say what is actually cultural appropriation and what's not. You're literally not allowed to tell anybody what they can and can't cook. It's ridiculous, it's asinine.

There's an approach if you're trying to present a business about it. I think it's all about the time you invest. You have to immerse your whole self into it to find out if you love it and what you hate. People who go and open a food cart because they took a trip this one time, one trip is not going to do your food justice. It needs to be many trips, you need to learn the language. How much time you invest will show itself in what you do.

Where do we go from here? I feel like this is something so ridiculous that we should easily be able to overcome it. The only way to battle it is to keep supporting the restaurants and food that you love.
    Last edited by Approaching Walrus; February 22 2018 at 05:21:06 AM.

Did you know that white people aren't allowed to cook certain foods for profit? True story.

This of course ignores the fact that there are white hispanics, but fucking dumb american 'leftists' with no knowledge of the world outside their borders don't know that.

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/ind...s_cultura.html

Anh Luu is the chef/owner at Tapalaya, a contemporary Cajun/Creole restaurant in Northeast Portland where she combines the flavors of her Vietnamese heritage with recipes drawn from her hometown of New Orleans.

What are your thoughts on cultural appropriation with restaurants? It's all so blurry because all foods have kind of the same thing in different ways. You can't really say, 'I stole this recipe from someone' because chances are that person borrowed it from someone else or mixed someone else's recipe with their own. It's hard to say what is actually cultural appropriation and what's not. You're literally not allowed to tell anybody what they can and can't cook. It's ridiculous, it's asinine.

There's an approach if you're trying to present a business about it. I think it's all about the time you invest. You have to immerse your whole self into it to find out if you love it and what you hate. People who go and open a food cart because they took a trip this one time, one trip is not going to do your food justice. It needs to be many trips, you need to learn the language. How much time you invest will show itself in what you do.

Where do we go from here? I feel like this is something so ridiculous that we should easily be able to overcome it. The only way to battle it is to keep supporting the restaurants and food that you love.
    Yes some people are dumb that's shocking news, truly.

That's why we can completely ignore when someone is taking the piss out of another culture and boiling it down to a few insulting stereotypes, all so their culture and their people can be made into a commodity we can laugh at. You know, what the actual issue would be.

But no because there are a few idiots taking it too far we of course must laugh and dismiss all of it and say such things don't exist at all.

Fucks sake you lot pride yourself in your intellect, display some for a fucking change. Internet bro rationality at its fucking best.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Except it is. In fact basically everything in Cuban culture was appropriated from other cultures.
    It's not.

There's a growing pool of people who never bother to listen what is actually meant by cultural appropriation and hence the public discourse is toxic.

It's not about what you can cook or what you can serve. But if you appropriate the thing to the extent that the people where a thing originated from no longer have the possibility to do the thing, then you're appropriating. Like white writers writing novels about the experiences of immigrants instead of giving the immigrants a voice themselves and publishing their stories. Again, it's not wrong if I white author writes about an immigrant, but if only white authors write about immigrants and no actual immigrant does, then it's an issue.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Cooking food isn't an act of disenfranchisement. Writing outrage articles on behalf of a group and misrepresenting them for personal gain is.

It's becomes alienating when appropriation effectively no-platforms a cultural voice in order to imprint the dominate culture.

It's becomes alienating when appropriation effectively no-platforms a cultural voice in order to imprint the dominate culture.
    This.

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

i like how you two a pointing out that it is, and always was, a nuanced argument knowing full well the usual suspects are going to entirely ignore you and go full on the SJW/ANTIFA/CULTURALAPPROPRIATION! hate
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    i like how you two a pointing out that it is, and always was, a nuanced argument knowing full well the usual suspects are going to entirely ignore you and go full on the SJW/ANTIFA/CULTURALAPPROPRIATION! hate
    Posting will continue until the bar is raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Liare View Post
    Posting will continue until the bar is raised.
    How's that going so far?

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it