hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 957 of 1029 FirstFirst ... 4578579079479549559569579589599609671007 ... LastLast
Results 19,121 to 19,140 of 20577

Thread: Political Shots Fired Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

When?

That guy who got fired by Google after saying dumb shit about women is now suing for discrimination against conservative, white men.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancehot View Post
    That guy who got fired by Google after saying dumb shit about women is now suing for discrimination against conservative, white men.
    But no he's completely sane and well adjusted and just saying things people don't dare saying guys! What a fuckhead.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    But no he's completely sane and well adjusted and just saying things people don't dare saying guys! What a fuckhead.
    A spokesperson for Google said they "look forward to defending against Mr Damore's lawsuit in court."
    heh.
    meh

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    A spokesperson for Google said they "look forward to defending against Mr Damore's lawsuit in court."
    heh.
    That's good lawyer speak right there

Still waiting for one of you guys to tell me what was wrong about what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Anything we say you just say "it's not wrong, you're wrong" so why would anyone bother again?

Anything we say you just say "it's not wrong, you're wrong" so why would anyone bother again?
    Your beloved Smarnca played this game until I got him to say inconsistent things, and then you harped on me for bothering to do that with him. For all your whining, at least he was willing to attempt to defend his views. All you do is wave your team's flag and shout names at people.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

>2017*8
    >responding to Isyel rants

*rekt
    Last edited by Stoffl; January 10 2018 at 06:49:56 AM.
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    >2017
    January 10 2018, 07:30:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Approaching Walrus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoffl View Post
    >2017
    January 10 2018, 07:30:23 AM
    I was somewhere around Old Man Star, on the edge of Essence, when drugs began to take hold.

oh lol, dayum
    2/10/17 Greatposthellpurge never forget
    23/10/17 The Greatreposteninging ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post

There are plenty of rebuttals on the internet. I could add some of my own, as that touches psychology, but here's one short rebuttal: https://www.wired.com/story/what-jam...puter-science/

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît point. - Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 277

Quote Originally Posted by Timaios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post

There are plenty of rebuttals on the internet. I could add some of my own, as that touches psychology, but here's one short rebuttal: https://www.wired.com/story/what-jam...puter-science/
    "When women feel secure and affirmed, they perform as well as men on math tests."

I'm sure they do, does anyone say otherwise? And men probably can also be as good in women dominated fields.
    But without gender bias, would there be the same amount of femle applicants in tech as male?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that in countries like Sweden where people have less bias and more freedom to study what they want, have per capita less woman in tech then some African countries. Because they have to take the job that makes money, less choice.

"Third, many labor studies predict a dramatic shortage of software engineers over the next five years, which will limit the growth of an industry that plays a vital role in our economy. To be competitive in this critical industry, employers must be able to draw from the entire US population, not only the one-third who are non-Hispanic white and Asian men."

Yes, of course you should hire from the entire population. The question is, if there are more applicants who are white males, but you want to hire 50/50, do you take less qualified non white-males over white-males?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post

"Third, many labor studies predict a dramatic shortage of software engineers over the next five years, which will limit the growth of an industry that plays a vital role in our economy. To be competitive in this critical industry, employers must be able to draw from the entire US population, not only the one-third who are non-Hispanic white and Asian men."

Yes, of course you should hire from the entire population. The question is, if there are more applicants who are white males, but you want to hire 50/50, do you take less qualified non white-males over white-males?
    Who says they're less qualified? This is an assumption I see come up all the time in these arguments, but very few people in internal hiring roles are solely qualification focused. It's why you see unconscious bias playing a big role in the perceived suitability of a candidate, which led to Germany introducing rules about recruiters being unable to see names etc.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post

Who says they're less qualified?
    Me in my exaggerated example. Though maybe bad worded.

Lets make it black and white .. and maybe somewhat "simple"
    A firm wants to hire 10 people. 100 people apply. 80 are white males.

Should the hiring of white males be capped at 5 people? Yes/no?

I mean, this is simplified. But that's how I understood this from the memo:

● Hiring practices which can effectively lower the bar for “diversity” candidates by
    decreasing the false negative rate
    ● Reconsidering any set of people if it’s not “diverse” enough, but not showing that same
    scrutiny in the reverse direction (clear confirmation bias)

If there is not enough diversity, the entry (hiring?) bar is lowered.

From an outsider, his idea of making IT more appealing (through pair programming etc.) sounds better.

Removing names/gener/race from the application sounds good, does it work well?
    The Rapier is my love boat
    ~lowsec smallscale pvp 'n stuff~

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Removing names/gener/race from the application sounds good, does it work well?
    As far as I'm aware it has helped develop more inclusive hiring practices.

Positive discrimination is quite a heavy handed tool to 'balance' workplaces with, but it seems to be effective. The real difference has got to come from the education system I would suspect though. Unbalanced workplaces are often (not always) the symptom of unbalanced pools of talent coming out of education and having access to certain careers.

Everyone just hires Indian IT workers anyway.

Here in Oz there is a shortage of people wanting to study into IT as it is now viewed as a poor career with shitty conditions for relatively poor pay, in large part because a lot of IT is easy to outsource and globalize.

So it's not like you have a huge pool to recruit from anyway if you want to hire locally and not just bring in someone on a 457 Visa.

More turbo-lightspeed neoliberal platitudes/virtue signaling/misplaced priorities on full display.
    I always find "affirmative hiring REEEEEEEEEE" to be a hilarious hill for people to choose to die on