hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 656 of 907 FirstFirst ... 156556606646653654655656657658659666706756 ... LastLast
Results 13,101 to 13,120 of 18139

Thread: Political Shots Fired Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    ITT Internet Hardmen get very, very upset about the language used to describe serious problems
    So you don't think it is problematic calling every instance of sexual harassment rape?

How about if every mass murder was described as genocide?

As a lawyer I thought you of all people would appreciate the importance of nuance when it comes to language. Only a few days ago you were pretty staunch in your defense of language when the topic was the difference between blame and responsibility.
    holy fucking shit chill you two, youre both shouting about things nobody said or even tried to infer ffs
    pretty sure lallante tried to infer it in teh post I quoted tbh. I haven't really been keeping track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

ITT Internet Hardmen get very, very upset about the language used to describe serious problems while handwaving away those problems themselves.

"Guys, wont you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think of the poor student guy who sticks his hand up a girl's skirt for a laugh and then gets branded a "sex offender" for life. That's not a sex offence! It was just BANTER! Ridiculous PC hysteria."
    The thing is that the same act, a guy sticking his hand up a girls skirt for a laugh (although that is a tad to far), can be both. It can be nothing but a bunch of friends fooling around, it can be taken as a compliment, it also can be super creepy, almost traumatizing. It can be almost rape, it can be sexual violence, it can be sexual harrasement, it can also be a laugh.

There are just so many different levels, do the people know each other, if yes how intimately, was there serious flirting coming from both sides before, was it a random dude doing it to a random girl? Where was it, when, how much aclohol was drunk. All of those things matter here. Did the guy mistake the girl for someone else, was it an accident, was it done because he wanted to do it or because he wanted to make her uncomfortable on purpose and so on?

And then we have to talk about what he actually did touch under her skirt as that also makes a very big difference. A "grab her by the pussy" is something totally different again.

And both sides usually assume the complete opposite. So for the rape culture guys it always sexual harrasement/violence, for the fuck PC guys its always done for a laugh or didnt really mean anything. And then both parties talk past each other.

I also would like to point out that in my uni (from what ive seen) none of these issues really are "real". There is sexual harrasment but it gets dealth with rather quickly if it ever happens. But no one here is fighting over "rape culture" or a epidemic of sexual harrasement because no one really thinks there is one. I think the american culture in particular has a huge influence on this, campus unis where you live at the actual university are really really rare here (i dont know of a single one), something like a campus police doesnt even exist. If there was a rape the real police is called. Universities cant hush up rapes or similar because they have 0 control or influence over the matter.

The same holds true for most other universities from different countries that i know off (via students).
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf Crendraven View Post

I also would like to point out that in my uni (from what ive seen) none of these issues really are "real". There is sexual harrasment but it gets dealth with rather quickly if it ever happens. But no one here is fighting over "rape culture" or a epidemic of sexual harrasement because no one really thinks there is one. I think the american culture in particular has a huge influence on this, campus unis where you live at the actual university are really really rare here (i dont know of a single one), something like a campus police doesnt even exist. If there was a rape the real police is called. Universities cant hush up rapes or similar because they have 0 control or influence over the matter.

The same holds true for most other universities from different countries that i know off (via students).
    White America is very bizarre when it comes to shielding their kids from society. Campus universities lead to a weird student bubble which is separate to the surrounding communities and seems to be a strange offshoot from the obsession with summer school. It probably partially explains the lack of civic mindedness expressed by urban middle class americans, they simply don't get exposed to society for so long since its incredibly easy for children to never see anyone outside their socio-economic group.
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

White America is very bizarre when it comes to shielding their kids from society. Campus universities lead to a weird student bubble which is separate to the surrounding communities and seems to be a strange offshoot from the obsession with summer school. It probably partially explains the lack of civic mindedness expressed by urban middle class americans, they simply don't get exposed to society for so long since its incredibly easy for children to never see anyone outside their socio-economic group.
    Yeah, and obviously if you put tens of thousands of 18-25 year olds togethers without parental supervision and the ability to drink for the first time in their live you get dumb stuff.

Banned
    :wolf:
    [img]http://orig14.deviantart.net/351d/f/2015/121/c/0/_cover_zing__krul_tepes_by_skanantene-d8rqmf5.png[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by UsernameisValidandNotinUs View Post
    Someone should make a thread for suggestions for that emote. I want one of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameisValidandNotinUs View Post
    Someone should make a thread for suggestions for that emote. I want one of my own.

*Lawyer whines about people being picky with language*

Keep deflecting what's going on on rape island over there by blaming America. Classic colonialism.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...conscious-bias

Forget the campus rape epidemic, the above is the real crime against women.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post

Keep deflecting what's going on on rape island over there by blaming America. Classic colonialism.
    I spent a few weeks on the campus of the university of winchester living in the dorms, it was very similar to the american thing. All students thrown in together, and within days sexual harrasement/groping things started popping up. Its like a big summer camp with more drugs, booze, parties and sex.

Not a healthy combination in the long run. It wasnt even pretty for the few weeks i was there. It was really fun, but i wouldnt want to send any girl i liked there.

Mate this is nonce island.

I spent a few weeks on the campus of the university of winchester living in the dorms, it was very similar to the american thing. All students thrown in together, and within days sexual harrasement/groping things started popping up. Its like a big summer camp with more drugs, booze, parties and sex.

Not a healthy combination in the long run. It wasnt even pretty for the few weeks i was there. It was really fun, but i wouldnt want to send any girl i liked there.
    >Winchester
    >University

Lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Larkonis Trassler View Post

>Winchester
    >University

Lol.
    http://www.winchester.ac.uk/pages/home.aspx

??
    [img]http://orig14.deviantart.net/351d/f/2015/121/c/0/_cover_zing__krul_tepes_by_skanantene-d8rqmf5.png[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post

The original Airplane is on the TV in the hotel. I just realized that nothing this good will ever be made again. Neither the talent, nor the ability of the creator to offend as many people at the same time without being lynched in the court of public opinion exist anymore.
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by RazoR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mewninn View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

The original Airplane is on the TV in the hotel. I just realized that nothing this good will ever be made again. Neither the talent, nor the ability of the creator to offend as many people at the same time without being lynched in the court of public opinion exist anymore.
    Surely you must be joking. . .
    "Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Zhuge Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    No and stop calling me Shirley.

Banned
    Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorvil Barranis View Post
    Sadly, no joke.

We will from now on only get to watch sadly politically correct remakes of old classics. E.g. ghostbusters.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack