hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 573 of 588 FirstFirst ... 73473523563570571572573574575576583 ... LastLast
Results 11,441 to 11,460 of 11749

Thread: Political Correctness Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeekar View Post
    No blame implies they are responsible for it. Not taking sensible precautions implies partial responsibility.
    Blame, responsibility and causality are all different things. When my normally well-trained dog tears you a new asshole when you walked past on the street, I'm responsibile. I'm not to blame though unless I commanded it to. And you are not to blame or responsible, but you walking past obviously was part of the cause.

Victims who havent themselves acted criminally are obviously part of the cause (wrong place at the wrong time), can be partly responsible (unconscious due to drinking) but are never to blame.

The fact that disagreement on this point persists is fucking stupid.

Ok. So can I safely say that victims may well be responsible (or partly responsible) for a crime taking place, but the blame lies on the criminal? I mean, it's basically just semantics amounting to the same thing, but i can go for that for the sake of argument.
    I mean, this is all semantics as it is from the very beginning?

but yes, and that's what I've been repeatedly trying to say too, if less concisely.
    Cool.

hey, check it out. An argument on FHC reached a conclusion satisfactory to both sides. Its the dream!
    I hate semantics, they always cause shit like this.

I mean sure if it helps people cope then we can assign a new meaning to the word. Nuance can be a good thing.

nah
    go away

I think some of you have crossed wires here.

Blame is a negatively connotated word for responsibility, but they functionally mean the same thing.

People just are not liking blame and saying responsibility because they're used to blame being used in a negative sense.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post
    I mean, this is all semantics as it is from the very beginning?

but yes, and that's what I've been repeatedly trying to say too, if less concisely.
    You still don't get it at all. Its not semantics at all - it goes to the very fundamental question of fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

Blame is a negatively connotated word for responsibility, but they functionally mean the same thing.

People just are not liking blame and saying responsibility because they're used to blame being used in a negative sense.
    I have no words

Its much more definitive than that and it is absolutely not "just" a question of semantics or connotation.

Blame = Responsibility + Fault.

The question therefore is whether a victim can be at fault when they are criminally raped (or whatever). The answer is "no, you fucking throwback moron. The criminal rapist is solely at fault."

If I were wrong about this, where are all the rape trials where the accused uses the defence of contributory negligence? "Yeah I raped her your honour, but she is partly to blame for walking home on her own, so reduce my sentence plz". This doesnt happen because the legal system at least isnt as fucking retarded as half the people in this thread.
    Last edited by Lallante; January 10 2017 at 01:26:21 PM.

Its much more definitive than that. Blame = Responsibility + Fault.

The question therefore is whether a victim can be at fault for their rape (or whatever). The answer is "no, you fucking moron".
    Okay but you can see how those two words might be confusing to a non-English native yes?

Yes, which is why I dont fucking weigh in assuming my opinion is gospel on highly important, controversial and subtle points of language in a dialect that is not my own.

Yes, which is why I dont fucking weigh in assuming my opinion is gospel on highly important, controversial and subtle points of language in a dialect that is not my own.
    Okay but you also brought in rape completely unnecessarily because you know it will make the subject more emotive. If we instead talk about the context of being pickpocketed or having your car vandalised then it doesn't seem quite so bad to use the term blame, does it?

Like I say, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the actual meaning of the words, it's more how people interpret them.

You seem upset that people don't agree with you on everything. I think you have only yourself to blame for that.

You seem upset that people don't agree with you on everything. I think you have only yourself to blame for that.
    By your definition not only are you also to blame, but so is Entrox (hosting the forum), Clamdongue (hosting its genesis in SHC), CCP (creating EVE), your Mom (giving birth to you) and your Mom's brother (your dad)

Okay but you also brought in rape completely unnecessarily because you know it will make the subject more emotive. If we instead talk about the context of being pickpocketed or having your car vandalised then it doesn't seem quite so bad to use the term blame, does it?

Like I say, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the actual meaning of the words, it's more how people interpret them.
    From a legal perspective the distinction is just as important in, say, theft, as it is in rape. I agree rape is more evocative but so what?

By your definition not only are you also to blame, but so is Entrox (hosting the forum), Clamdongue (hosting its genesis in SHC), CCP (creating EVE), your Mom (giving birth to you) and your Mom's brother (your dad)
    M8 dont drag my dad (your uncle) into this.

From a legal perspective the distinction is just as important in, say, theft, as it is in rape. I agree rape is more evocative but so what?
    So you deliberately used a more evocative example to push your point and create outrage where none existed.

And he has only himself to blame.

yes
    "Teachers are teachers because they are pedos. Thats why they want to work in a job around children, its a well known fact." #Nonsesense

TIL some people get mad about different words having different meanings. wtf is this 'it's just semantics' crap? we have different words for different things for a reason, if you're too lazy to use them properly that's your problem. if it's your second language and you didn't realise there was a distinction between terms, fair enough. but when someone who does know the language better than you points out your error, maybe learn from it instead of being a spaz.
    Last edited by Shiodome; January 10 2017 at 02:47:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiodome View Post
    TIL some people get mad about different words having different meanings. wtf is this 'it's just semantics' crap? we have different words for different things for a reason, if you're too lazy to use them properly that's your problem.
    This is clearly a micro aggression.

Its much more definitive than that. Blame = Responsibility + Fault.

The question therefore is whether a victim can be at fault for their rape (or whatever). The answer is "no, you fucking moron".
    Okay but you can see how those two words might be confusing to a non-English native yes?
    You people forget that the same discussion also is perfectly valid in other languages.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    I see you have read nietzsche's little known work "beyond boobs and butts".