hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 770 of 905 FirstFirst ... 270670720760767768769770771772773780820870 ... LastLast
Results 15,381 to 15,400 of 18086

Thread: Political Shots Fired Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by evil edna View Post
    a true middle class has never been tried in other words?
    Your posting has been boring and predictable recently. Did you open the curtains for 5 minutes and get severe sunstroke?
    True shitposting has never been tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Your posting has been boring and predictable recently. Did you open the curtains for 5 minutes and get severe sunstroke?
    Au contraire, Edna mastered it years ago.

And this is not to the usual standards, I'm worried too.

r u ok edna?
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

i thought thats what we do on this forum now, post the same shit in every thread, and this is what i get for trying to follow the latest posting fashions

you're a posting legend edna, you cant just go and follow some fickle fashion that the rest of us have picked up, we all aspire to your level of shitpoasting here, those fads and fashions are because we're trying to emulate your greatness.
    Viking, n.:
    1. Daring Scandinavian seafarers, explorers, adventurers, entrepreneurs world-famous for their aggressive, nautical import business, highly leveraged takeovers and blue eyes.
    2. Bloodthirsty sea pirates who ravaged northern Europe beginning in the 9th century.

Hagar's note: The first definition is much preferred; the second is used only by malcontents, the envious, and disgruntled owners of waterfront property.

Smuggo
    i thought thats what we do on this forum now, post the same shit in every thread, and this is what i get for trying to follow the latest posting fashions
    weed

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    people with university education are probably less likely to think communism is a workable idea so i can see keckers objection
    Communism is now the most popular political philosophy among educated middle class professionals actually.
    What age demographic?

Source?

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarp View Post
    people with university education are probably less likely to think communism is a workable idea so i can see keckers objection
    Communism is now the most popular political philosophy among educated middle class professionals actually.
    What age demographic?

Source?
    All ages.

*ahem*
    Quote Originally Posted by Keieueue View Post
    I love Malcanis!

I can cite some prior art...
    meh

Keckers complaining of predictable posting. What a fucking world we live in.

What age demographic?

Source?
    All ages.
    Forgot the source bit mate.

Smuggo
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    What age demographic?

Source?
    All ages.
    All ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    What age demographic?

Source?
    All ages.
    All ages.
    That's about what i thought.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    It's not a giveaway m8, university fees cost the state more than just paying for it upfront.
    It's a middle class vote grabber. It has minimal appeal to the working classes.
    Absolute bollocks. Ypu honestly believe a survey of 12 year old working class kids on whether they would like to go to university if they could do it without debt or financial stress would come back with "minimal appeal"?

Minimal appeal to working class people OVER university age without kids, sure.

Super Moderator Global Moderator QuackBot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post

Absolute bollocks. Ypu honestly believe a survey of 12 year old working class kids on whether they would like to go to university if they could do it without debt or financial stress would come back with "minimal appeal"?

Come do do here.

I'll dig up the literature for you

edit: from what I remember a the findings showed strong correlation between the ofsted rating of the school attended by high performing kids who were disadvantaged and their likelihood to complete A levels and then attend university. Where schools were poorly rated the disadvantaged kids had very low university attendance, the biggest difference being in the 'quality' of the A-levels selected/available to disadvantaged students.

The correlation between access to good schools and social class is strong. The correlation between access to good schools/6th form colleges and university attendance is strong.
    Last edited by Keckers; July 18 2017 at 03:02:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

edit: from what I remember a the findings showed strong correlation between the ofsted rating of the school attended by high performing kids who were disadvantaged and their likelihood to complete A levels and then attend university. Where schools were poorly rated the disadvantaged kids had very low university attendance, the biggest difference being in the 'quality' of the A-levels selected/available to disadvantaged students.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...to-go-to-univ/

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...gher-education

The issue isnt that university isnt something working class kids want to do, it's that people from deprived backgrounds end up in sink schools the culture of which teaches them they cant... or its unobtainably expensive.

The issue isnt that university isnt something working class kids want to do, it's that people from deprived backgrounds end up in sink schools the culture of which teaches them they cant... or its unobtainably expensive.
    So how does an amnesty on universtity fees help the working classes if they aren't even getting to the stage where they can make a choice about it?

Higher fees haven't drastically reduced the number of working class students, if the numbers had plummeted with the coalitions' introduction of higher fees then maybe you would have a point.

I feel that discussions about university fees and funding are sort of missing the point. The discussion I personally think we should be having would be the role of higher education, the role of universities as public institutions, the role of the state in life long learning schemes and alternative education pathways. Making the funding of higher education the focus hugely devalues the cultural and social value of educational institutions and instead dangerously overvalues their role serving the labour market and hitting 'employability' targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

So how does an amnesty on universtity fees help the working classes if they aren't even getting to the stage where they can make a choice about it?

Higher fees haven't drastically reduced the number of working class students, if the numbers had plummeted with the coalitions' introduction of higher fees then maybe you would have a point.

I feel that discussions about university fees and funding are sort of missing the point. The discussion I personally think we should be having would be the role of higher education, the role of universities as public institutions, the role of the state in life long learning schemes and alternative education pathways. Making the funding of higher education the focus hugely devalues the cultural and social value of educational institutions and instead dangerously overvalues their role serving the labour market and hitting 'employability' targets.
    Dramatic moving of goalposts. We were talking about fees for new students. The amnesty is just to avoid the unfairness of having a "lost generation" of 10 years lumbered with debt the groups either side didnt have.

Also comedy that you now feel a discussion you started and focused on is missing the point.