hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 777 of 796 FirstFirst ... 277677727767774775776777778779780787 ... LastLast
Results 15,521 to 15,540 of 15915

Thread: Political Correctness Stories

Quote Originally Posted by erichkknaar View Post
    If you participate in the free market as a vendor you don't get to pick and choose customers based on your feelings.
    This is the most wrong thing I've read today. Of course you get to pick and choose. That's the whole fucking point. You do whatever you want until the market drives you out. If you decide not to bake cakes for gay people you can not only choose to do that but you can make that part of your marketing pitch to appeal to the religious to drive sales.

You don't understand the "free market" at all if you think it means you're forced to do things because of some greater ideological principles. The goddamned point of the mythical free market is that you do whatever you want provided you stay afloat.

This is the equivalent of those retarded carebears in eve who wanted to be able to limit market orders based on standings.
    What? No it's not. You've completely inverted the analogy. Carebares asking for rules to be applied to the market is the opposite of the free market.
    Last edited by Frug; July 14 2017 at 04:37:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loire
    I'm too stupid to say anything that deserves being in your magnificent signature.

Don't mind me just adding this thread to my subscriptions again

Quote Originally Posted by Frug View Post
    If you participate in the free market as a vendor you don't get to pick and choose customers based on your feelings.
    This is the most wrong thing I've read today. Of course you get to pick and choose. That's the whole fucking point. You do whatever you want until the market drives you out. If you decide not to bake cakes for gay people you can not only choose to do that but you can make that part of your marketing pitch to appeal to the religious to drive sales.

You don't understand the "free market" at all if you think it means you're forced to do things because of some greater ideological principles. The goddamned point of the mythical free market is that you do whatever you want provided you stay afloat.

This is the equivalent of those retarded carebears in eve who wanted to be able to limit market orders based on standings.
    What? No it's not. You've completely inverted the analogy. Carebares asking for rules to be applied to the market is the opposite of the free market.
    I strongly suspect it's implied you don't get to pick and choose if you don't want to limit yourself and suffer the consequences. If the bakers in this case look like dipshits to the general public and lose customers because of it they didn't act in their best interest and suffer the consequences, aka are being dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Isyel View Post

I strongly suspect it's implied you don't get to pick and choose if you don't want to limit yourself and suffer the consequences. If the bakers in this case look like dipshits to the general public and lose customers because of it they didn't act in their best interest and suffer the consequences, aka are being dumb.
    Sure, they have to face the consequences, that's also part of the free market. Customers can choose not to use them, in the same way that the shop is entirely free to choose to refuse certain business.

The free market is bullshit and doesn't exist anywhere though. At best it's useful as a thought experiment at worst it just leads to people talking about crony capitalism as if there can be any other kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Mason
    It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000 year old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes yet still see the abolition of a 200 year old economic system as an unrealistic utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Keckers View Post
    The free market is bullshit and doesn't exist anywhere though. At best it's useful as a thought experiment at worst it just leads to people talking about crony capitalism as if there can be any other kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post

Sure, they have to face the consequences, that's also part of the free market. Customers can choose not to use them, in the same way that the shop is entirely free to choose to refuse certain business.
    Well, the law in parts of the U.S. disagrees, it may not in every state, but public accommodations law says that no, you do not have a right to refuse service unreasonably. Thus me saying if you don't want the gays to come, advertise yourself as a Christian organization. Don't advertise yourself as open to all and then kick the customer out after xe walked in the door. No, they want the best of both worlds. Remember that in the U.S. State constitutions are mostly free to extend further rights to citizens. This is one of them, at least where I live.
    meh

Well, the law in parts of the U.S. disagrees, it may not in every state, but public accommodations law says that no, you do not have a right to refuse service unreasonably. Thus me saying if you don't want the gays to come, advertise yourself as a Christian organization. Don't advertise yourself as open to all and then kick the customer out after xe walked in the door. No, they want the best of both worlds. Remember that in the U.S. State constitutions are mostly free to extend further rights to citizens. This is one of them, at least where I live.
    Granted, specific laws may change things. Law > personal opinion is going to of course be the case. But that law isn't even remotely universal.

I just realised i should add that i am actually against this state of affairs, and agree with your stance pretty much. It's just not the case everywhere.

A lot of people ignoring the historical context here. In the past it was commonplace for certain people to be refused service merely because of who they are. Hence governments had to regulate against and make service or product providers serve everyone equally. Do you really want to go back to the days of "no blacks, no Irish" in shop/pub windows?

I'm not really sure how making a cake, regardless of what is on it, in any way affects your ability to be a Christian or any other religion. If you're that incapable of separating your professional and private life you should probably not be in business.

Granted, specific laws may change things. Law > personal opinion is going to of course be the case. But that law isn't even remotely universal.

I just realised i should add that i am actually against this state of affairs, and agree with your stance pretty much. It's just not the case everywhere.
    No totally. I see a lot of grey too. For example, someone mentioned an elderly couple running a B&B that refuse unmarried couples, either gay or straight. I'm OK with that. They are applying something fairly, and those are their rules. The thing is these businesses know they may lose business if they made their bigotry know up front, so they wanted to apply their morality without taking the PR hit, and that is why I see it as wrong, and agree with the law.
    meh

No totally. I see a lot of grey too. For example, someone mentioned an elderly couple running a B&B that refuse unmarried couples, either gay or straight. I'm OK with that. They are applying something fairly, and those are their rules. The thing is these businesses know they may lose business if they made their bigotry know up front, so they wanted to apply their morality without taking the PR hit, and that is why I see it as wrong, and agree with the law.
    Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I've never seen a specific Muslim bakery but everyone should be allowed to get a Stalin cake regardless of what sky fairy the Baker is into.
    How about Lenin Cake?
    My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

And just because I sadly feel the need to do this;

We don't have to explain why those laws ARE on the books in roughly half the U.S. states, right? They aren't new laws.
    meh

We don't have to explain why those laws ARE on the books in roughly half the U.S. states, right? They aren't new laws.
    Tbh, i know little of the specifics of US hisotyr or the laws that govern it.

However i'm going to take a stab at this by applying common sense. But because this is FHC, i still want to make it a bit offensive, and since you are Seth Efrican originally i will phrase it thusly:

Because of the people that wouldn't serve the kaffirs?

However i'm going to take a stab at this by applying common sense. But because this is FHC, i still want to make it a bit offensive, and since you are Seth Efrican originally i will phrase it thusly:

Ja.
    meh

My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

Quote Originally Posted by QuackBot View Post
    Canadians are usually cooler.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase campaign journal

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    I mean I dont think people should refuse either, but theres a difference between a sexuality and an opinion

Only one here to predict a win for God Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    I mean I dont think people should refuse either, but theres a difference between a sexuality and an opinion
    I mean I don't think people who were born into the confederacy had any choice to change either.
    Are you an engineer? -- Quack

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshasa The Cat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    I mean I don't think people who were born into the confederacy had any choice to change either.
    This is why i don't have you on ignore: you're like a deranged Dr Seuss