hate these ads?, log in or register to hide them
Page 824 of 838 FirstFirst ... 324724774814821822823824825826827834 ... LastLast
Results 16,461 to 16,480 of 16752

Thread: Political Correctness Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Caine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

I dunno what happened in the early 1980's but that sure is a graph
    Interesting, is this from The Economist? What do they postulate is the reason for the sudden drop off from the early 80s onward?
    As weird as it sounds, could it be anything to do with the rise of computer gaming? it's such a massively male dominated market i wouldn't be shocked to find that massively more men suddenly entered the field. Note this is just what % of the field are women, not actual numbers.

Probably not, just a random thought.
    It could be related, but perhaps more in the fact that computer science became dominated by disgusting neckbeards and their general behaviour and attitudes are repulsive to women.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer View Post

Interesting, is this from The Economist? What do they postulate is the reason for the sudden drop off from the early 80s onward?
    All we know for certain is that a significant amount of female doctors and lawyers died on september 11 2001. really makes you think
    These are women majoring in the subject m8 not how many are alive.
    Well you cant finish your major when you're dead.
    My Attorney has advised me to remove my new signature until further notice...

As weird as it sounds, could it be anything to do with the rise of computer gaming? it's such a massively male dominated market i wouldn't be shocked to find that massively more men suddenly entered the field. Note this is just what % of the field are women, not actual numbers.

It could be related, but perhaps more in the fact that computer science became dominated by disgusting neckbeards and their general behaviour and attitudes are repulsive to women.
    That works too. I'm not a woman and i wouldn't want to work with them.

Movember '12 Best Facial Hair Movember 2012Donor Lallante's Avatar
    It's probably that women's fundamental biology changed in the 1980s and now (and forevermore, for biology is unchanging) they are less suited than men to computer science and should just give up and go raise kids like they're supposed to.

Is it still sexist to state the fact that there are branches of study that women in general have no desire to pursue? Women are a unicorn in my field, my assumption is the reasoning for this is similar to my experiences. About halfway through the first year of engineering classes in school all the women except one or two cease showing up and go do something else.

Yes its sexist, because it ignores the fact that when those women who quit are interviewed they typically state that its the men (misogyKnights) doing the subject and in the industries that employ grads of it that make it so unbearable.

They quit because fuck that noise, not because they wouldnt make good engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lallante View Post
    Yes its sexist, because it ignores the fact that when those women who quit are interviewed they typically state that its the men (misogyKnights) doing the subject and in the industries that employ grads of it that make it so unbearable.
    Wewlad that's dangerously close to implying that Tellenta might be part of the problem himself!

They quit because fuck that noise, not because they wouldnt make good engineers.
    Your statement would hold water if I was talking about graduated engineers and not freshmen in college taking introductory courses. Whether they would make good engineers is irrelevant as the didn't even try.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellenta View Post

Your statement would hold water if I was talking about graduated engineers and not freshmen in college taking introductory courses. Whether they would make good engineers is irrelevant as the didn't even try.
    That doesn't mean they have no desire to pursue it though does it?

Poland treats me like shit and I hate them as a result of it

Is it still sexist to state the fact that there are branches of study that women in general have no desire to pursue? Women are a unicorn in my field, my assumption is the reasoning for this is similar to my experiences. About halfway through the first year of engineering classes in school all the women except one or two cease showing up and go do something else.
    There has to be something going on beyond that if so many were graduating before ~1983 and then that growth stalls hard while other professions have virtually reached 50/50 split.

Probably because engineering jobs have a reputation for being populated by fuckos

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post

Probably because engineering jobs have a reputation for being populated by fuckos
    Rude

Quote Originally Posted by XenosisMk4 View Post

Chart clearly shows this only applies to computer engineers. Which is correct. Just look at the amount of IT-nerds on fhc!
    go away

One thing that certainly changed was that in the 1980s a person with a computer science degree could earn more than a lawyer or economics major. You'd see the IT folks rocking up to work in BMWs and having a good life. Then it was realized that you could churn out computer drones easily, suddenly every Uni and college and Tech was churning out graduates, then India began producing them by the million, salaries crashed unless you also had science and engineering qualifications, and IT work began to be viewed as a job for fat autists you keep in the server room and away from the decent folk.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    One thing that certainly changed was that in the 1980s a person with a computer science degree could earn more than a lawyer or economics major. You'd see the IT folks rocking up to work in BMWs and having a good life. Then it was realized that you could churn out computer drones easily, suddenly every Uni and college and Tech was churning out graduates, then India began producing them by the million, salaries crashed unless you also had science and engineering qualifications, and IT work began to be viewed as a job for fat autists you keep in the server room and away from the decent folk.
    Hollywood has something to do with this I think

There was also a recession in the video game market in the early to mid eighties.
    go away

That. New player India just entered the game. And good luck finding female Indian engineer in 80s and 90s. Even nowadays.

I was at Uni in the 80s so I saw it first hand. In fact I only got to stay as a researcher when the funding dried up because I had basic computer skills so I wound up doing all the reports and data crunching, then the payroll, then said fuck it and did a Economics degree and became an accountant.

In the mid 80s an IT graduate earned 20% more than a Economics or Law graduate because they were rare and their skills were in rapidly increasing demand.

The salary and perceived status of professions can serious impact on the desire of people to go that route. In Oz we have a great shortage of male teachers but the salary and generally low esteem the public for some fucking reason has of teaching means that men just don't join the profession.

I was at Uni in the 80s so I saw it first hand. In fact I only got to stay as a researcher when the funding dried up because I had basic computer skills so I wound up doing all the reports and data crunching, then the payroll, then said fuck it and did a Economics degree and became an accountant.

In the mid 80s an IT graduate earned 20% than a Economics or Law graduate because they were rare and their skills were in rapidly increasing demand.

The salary and perceived status of professions can serious impact on the desire of people to go that route. In Oz we have a great shortage of male teachers by the salary and generally low esteem the public for some fucking reason has of teaching means that men just don't join the profession.
    Women are well known to be far more salary and status focused than men.... oh wait

Women seem to be more life vs. work balance and job satisfaction oriented. men are driven to seek high salaries and status because they are as trapped by societal expectations as women are. And women like to marry up.

Heck, I am sick of people always asking me when am I going to start working again. People can't seem to separate person from job. I don't work because I don't need to work. When I do work it is to help out small businesses or charities.

It's a trope but its true that if you go to dinner parties the first two questions you get asked are what is your job and where do you live, because the answer to those two questions gives a good indication of how rich/successful you are.