PDA

View Full Version : Noob Questions Thread

Pages : [1] 2

ValorousBob
November 28 2012, 12:27:19 AM
The general PS2 thread had a ton of people asking basic questions that normally would've been answered by the game if SOE wasn't terrible. Shamelessly ask your noob questions here!

TroN
November 28 2012, 12:34:30 AM
Is it possible to be relevant as infantry? Everything I've seen so far has involved massive armour battles where foot soldiers get one shotted.

DaneJa
November 28 2012, 12:45:37 AM
Is it possible to be relevant as infantry? Everything I've seen so far has involved massive armour battles where foot soldiers get one shotted.

Yes, heavy assault is good in numbers to counter armor since it's a bitch to kill infantry as a tank driver, especially if the infantry is on rooftops. As a defensive role, the tanks need reps, so you can hang back from the lines a bit and rep the tanks as they fall back (you get some nice XP for this). Otherwise, the tank drivers do need to get out of the tanks to cap points, which is where the infantry action really comes into play.

All that said, if you're facing the zerg in the absence of your own team's zerg (with subsequent armor columns) it's pretty hopeless.

Nicholai Pestot
November 28 2012, 12:54:05 AM

Yes. Almost every cap/hack/repair point in the game cannot be accessed by anything except infantry. Your primary goal as infantry is the capturing,holding, destruction or defence of these locations. Without you, those tank battles don't mean shit. They are punching chunks out of each other to give a sunderer an opening so you and your opposites can do your thing.

If you find yourself more than 200m from a cap/hack/repair point as infantry and you haven't just bailed out of something on fire, then you have screwed up. Ride a sunderer, grab a flash...hell even jump in an aircraft as a light assault and bail out over your next target. Whatever you do don't foot zerg between bases or you will get very frustrated very quickly (ontop of being a dumb zergling)

Lastly remember that PS2 is a combined arms game. If your spawn is being camped and your tanks are somewhere else, then you should be as well. Re-deploy to find them.

Eard
November 28 2012, 03:59:33 AM
Can I get a explanation on shield generators and their roles on base taking? Take an outer point, knock out shield generators then assault base? We were humping one of the major bio domes, I assume the last/only shield generator is the one you have to jump pad up to on the top level?

DocBlood
November 28 2012, 04:15:38 AM
Can I get a explanation on shield generators and their roles on base taking? Take an outer point, knock out shield generators then assault base? We were humping one of the major bio domes, I assume the last/only shield generator is the one you have to jump pad up to on the top level?

Depends on the base, but the generators power the shields that stop enemy vehicles/infantry from passing through. Killing the generator disables the shield, letting anyone pass through that area. You don't have to disable generators for all of the bases, but they help a lot.

Also, some shields have two generators. There are symbols on the shields that correspond to the generators that power them. Some shields allow infantry through but not vehicles. The portal room in biolab bases has one way shields for whoever controls the corresponding outpost, allowing the occupants to shoot out, but no one can shoot in.

That's all I can think of atm, sure there's more though.

DaneJa
November 28 2012, 04:20:42 AM

Most bases you want to take out the generators to drop the gate shields and let your team's vehicles in. Sometimes you also have to destroy a shield generator so that you can gain access to their SCU (spawn generator, it's the really big glowy thing with growths pointing out of it) to cauterize the flow of enemy zerg coming in. The bio lab has that setup, with the SCU being in the center of the dome. The cap points on the ground around the bio domes are usually worth capping because they give you access to the teleporters into protected rooms in the dome (other ways up include the jump pads and elevators).

ValorousBob
November 28 2012, 04:53:10 AM
Random noob trick that I thought they removed but actually didn't:

Engies don't need to carry the ammo pack in their utility slot because the ACE device that drops turrets can also reconfigure to drop ammo packs by pressing 'B'. When you press 'B' you'll see the green outline of a turret switch to a green ammo box. These ammo packs last longer then the base one that's in the utility slot but don't receive benefit from relevant certs. However, since certing into the ammo pack doesn't fuckin help at all, there's no point in carrying an ammo pack instead of the healing syringe thing or explosives or something.

Stormscion
November 28 2012, 08:09:28 AM
I was playing maybe 2 3 hours ( solo /sadface)

didnt invest any certs yet

What are good upgrade choices for magrider and what to avoid ?

Dwergi
November 28 2012, 08:26:35 AM
Where the fuck do I get a MAX? Never seen it available at either type of vehicle spawn thing, and I can't seem to spawn as one.

Smuggo
November 28 2012, 08:47:02 AM
Where the fuck do I get a MAX? Never seen it available at either type of vehicle spawn thing, and I can't seem to spawn as one.

Infantry spawn terminals in spawn rooms, around bases and on Sunderers.

Dwergi
November 28 2012, 09:01:20 AM

Those the ones with the gun symbol? Always just figured they were for picking up ammo or changing class, not spawning MAXes. Is there a timer on how long till restock?

Ashaz
November 28 2012, 09:09:22 AM

Those the ones with the gun symbol? Always just figured they were for picking up ammo or changing class, not spawning MAXes. Is there a timer on how long till restock?

Yup. Cert into them to reduce the spawntime. Don't overestimate your survivability tho. They don't get the regenerating shield that infantry gets so just as you start screaming "I'm the juggernaught, bitch!" you run out of armour and die.
...on the other hand you achtually can do the juggernaught rush thing and tacle people to death. :D

Dwergi
November 28 2012, 09:14:21 AM
Yup. Cert into them to reduce the spawntime. Don't overestimate your survivability tho. They don't get the regenerating shield that infantry gets so just as you start screaming "I'm the juggernaught, bitch!" you run out of armour and die.
...on the other hand you achtually can do the juggernaught rush thing and tacle people to death. :D

Yeah, I've been playing HA a lot, activating your shield and charging in is fun, but then it inevitably runs out and you die, so I'm pretty up to date on playing cagey. I just figure I should know how to use one of them to get rid of the swarms of enemy aircraft that buzz around when defending a point. HA rockets don't really do much to them (provided you can even get a hit).

Smuggo
November 28 2012, 09:46:01 AM

Yeah they are also for ammo and class change, or changing loadout, getting grenades etc...

Back in early beta MAX was just a spawnable class like everything else but it meant they were absolutely everywhere all the time.

Anyway, MAX can only be repped by an Engineer, and only revived by a medic. However, with good support they really can survive for a very long time. They're not very mobile though and IMO are best used only for base defence and offence from a nearby sunderer. Can help to carry on or two in any Bus though as they can be handy when you get set upon by a lone tank,

ValorousBob
November 28 2012, 09:56:42 AM

Saron HRB is the best Secondary weapon, both the VPC and FPC are good main weapons. Upgrading reload speed is the only way to increase a weapons DPS, which is why it's such an expensive upgrade.

Magburner is awesome, but sorta niche. There are several Amp Stations where you can use the Magburner to jump the walls and terrorize unsuspecting infantry. SOE still haven't made roadkills practical but if you magburn into lets say, a group of infantry lined up on a hill top, you'll get some kills. I'm starting to get sick of seeing a MAXs head sticking up through my Magrider and not getting a roadkill. The best use for it is flanking in 1v1s with other tanks. You can easily get behind them for a kill shot.

Extra ammo is always a good upgrade and get at least the first zoom optics for everything because it's only one cert. Night vision isn't that great because if you're close enough to use it you're probably doing something wrong.

Mines are super rare so the mine guard thing is mostly useless. I always got reinforced front armor, but they nerfed it so it only adds 5% armor whereas the others all ad 10%. Rocket pods are super common right now so reinforced top armor is probably the best one.

As far as the chasis goes, I think whichever one upgrades strafe speed is probably the best. Upgrading hill climbing isn't necessary if you have a magburner and the top speed increases are a complete joke. I try to focus on agility type things like turn rate and the previously mentioned strafe speed. Honestly though, most of that stuff is wayyyyy to expensive so I really wouldn't even bother.

Smuggo
November 28 2012, 10:01:28 AM
Not checked the cert trees but do they still have top, side, rear armour upgrades? If so, worth pouring into front and top armour for the magrider as its strafing means you can always keep your front pointed at the enemy.

Stormscion
November 28 2012, 10:36:37 AM

Saron HRB is the best Secondary weapon, both the VPC and FPC are good main weapons. Upgrading reload speed is the only way to increase a weapons DPS, which is why it's such an expensive upgrade.

Magburner is awesome, but sorta niche. There are several Amp Stations where you can use the Magburner to jump the walls and terrorize unsuspecting infantry. SOE still haven't made roadkills practical but if you magburn into lets say, a group of infantry lined up on a hill top, you'll get some kills. I'm starting to get sick of seeing a MAXs head sticking up through my Magrider and not getting a roadkill. The best use for it is flanking in 1v1s with other tanks. You can easily get behind them for a kill shot.

Extra ammo is always a good upgrade and get at least the first zoom optics for everything because it's only one cert. Night vision isn't that great because if you're close enough to use it you're probably doing something wrong.

Mines are super rare so the mine guard thing is mostly useless. I always got reinforced front armor, but they nerfed it so it only adds 5% armor whereas the others all ad 10%. Rocket pods are super common right now so reinforced top armor is probably the best one.

As far as the chasis goes, I think whichever one upgrades strafe speed is probably the best. Upgrading hill climbing isn't necessary if you have a magburner and the top speed increases are a complete joke. I try to focus on agility type things like turn rate and the previously mentioned strafe speed. Honestly though, most of that stuff is wayyyyy to expensive so I really wouldn't even bother.

Ty

So what to bother with? Invest into some infantry class? Light Assault or Enge ?

Ashaz
November 28 2012, 10:42:41 AM
Enge is great if you intend to roll around in a tank, yea.

Having just switched server, I think I'll put my certs into the sunderer spawnpoint thing. Seems like a great way to farm xp and be useful at the same time.

Dratic
November 28 2012, 11:01:02 AM
Enge is great if you intend to roll around in a tank, yea.

Having just switched server, I think I'll put my certs into the sunderer spawnpoint thing. Seems like a great way to farm xp and be useful at the same time.

You have to get to a nice spot on a base fast to farm em. Soe changed it so you have to be away from other sunderers to deploy.

Qui Shon
November 28 2012, 11:07:00 AM
Galaxy is supposed to have a AMV cert, that is, to allow it to deploy and spawn troops. Flying bus!! \o/.
But looking through the cert list I couldn't find it?

Sidenote: Damn there's a lot of bus spam during primetime, so hard to get that bus in there first/closest so peeps will use it as spawn, without getting it blown up that is. Last night there were like 7 buses all trying to get deployed first in the same zone, bumping into each other and getting blown up doing mad rushes. Half of them pimped out with shiny rims n shit. I kinda felt bad for jamming my stock Sundy in there when its obviously inferior without upgraded guns and stuff. I wonder when TKing competing Sundy's becomes common.... I don't know how much xp it really generates compared to time/cert invested, but damn if it isn't funny listening to that ka-ching sound every second again and again, if its a big zerg. :lol:

Smuggo
November 28 2012, 11:10:59 AM
The galaxy cannot spawn troops. It used to be able to but it basically made having a front line pointless so they got rid of it.

Qui Shon
November 28 2012, 11:38:45 AM
The galaxy cannot spawn troops. It used to be able to but it basically made having a front line pointless so they got rid of it.

Aww :'(
Must've been great doing suprise zerg landings.

Cortess
November 28 2012, 11:47:49 AM
So there is a utility-item for the sunderer that allows it to pass through enemy shields. First upgrade is 100 certs and gives you a timeframe of 8 seconds for passing shields. Upgrades increases this time.

Real question is: Can it be fitted at the same time with the AMS?

Dratic
November 28 2012, 11:51:01 AM
Think there was a video posted in the old thread and its in the same slot :(

Mangala Solaris
November 28 2012, 11:55:39 AM
When it comes to bus spam, play the game of "did you lock your bus?"

If they did not, move them. And then run in your bus/outfit mates bus.

Or even have an accident with C4.

Gaydai
November 28 2012, 01:21:23 PM

Just picked the game up and decided to roll engineer, saw they have an C4-utility upgrade thingy. Now I got in tons of situations were I literally sat underneath tanks/sunderers/landed liberators without any means to damage them (mates were medics and infiltrators). How effective is C4 in damaging vehicles? Can I put all my C4 on something and expect it to blow up?

Played some HA, shot a sunderer pointblank in the rear and did fuck-all, was not amuse at all. :/

Ashaz
November 28 2012, 01:32:19 PM

Just picked the game up and decided to roll engineer, saw they have an C4-utility upgrade thingy. Now I got in tons of situations were I literally sat underneath tanks/sunderers/landed liberators without any means to damage them (mates were medics and infiltrators). How effective is C4 in damaging vehicles? Can I put all my C4 on something and expect it to blow up?

Played some HA, shot a sunderer pointblank in the rear and did fuck-all, was not amuse at all. :/

Sunderers can ram the fist of god and bruise his knuckles, without blowing up.

Smuggo
November 28 2012, 02:19:11 PM

Yeah you can take down a tank with C4, or at least you could in Beta. I'm saving up certs for it at the moment.

DaneJa
November 28 2012, 03:00:24 PM
So there is a utility-item for the sunderer that allows it to pass through enemy shields. First upgrade is 100 certs and gives you a timeframe of 8 seconds for passing shields. Upgrades increases this time.

This is the video I posted in the old thread. Great demo of the shield disrupter and something I really want to do at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q14-6RYo3j0

Alistair
November 28 2012, 03:33:08 PM
So after day 3 of play, sitting at ~20 kills, 70 deaths, 50 assists (lot of asists, rarely kill).

Very tired of the seemingly low-damage pop-guns the classes start with.

So my noob question is pay-to-win, i.e. Station Cash.

If I dump say, $25 bucks into the game in Station Cash, I then could unlcok the top-guns for a few classes and a few smaller things with the station cash instead of certs? Is that accurate? And I could use the rest to buy a few pretty-pretty looks items like Camo and the like?

Do I have this right?

DaneJa
November 28 2012, 03:42:21 PM
So after day 3 of play, sitting at ~20 kills, 70 deaths, 50 assists (lot of asists, rarely kill).

Very tired os the seemingly low-damage pop-guns the classes start with.

If I dump say, $25 bucks into the game in Station Cash, I then could unlcok the top-guns for a few classes and a few smaller things with the station cash instead of certs? Is that accurate? And I could use the rest to buy a few pretty-pretty looks items like Camo and the like?

Do I have this right?

SC is only good for unlocking new weapons and aesthetic items. Upgrades to weapons, class utilities, and vehicle upgrades can only be unlocked with certs.

Here's a comparison of weapons that was posted in the old thread. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0ApH3DlM1yfRAdHd3dnEwb2ZmVzJhRklLRjBoTWVjT 0E&gid=0

Ashaz
November 28 2012, 03:43:04 PM

Very tired os the seemingly low-damage pop-guns the classes start with.

Do I have this right?

No.
Just guns, boosters and blingbling.

Smuggo
November 28 2012, 03:43:08 PM
IMO, playing more intelligently will net you more kills than different weapons. Some are better in specific situations but you can get just as many kills by going with a decent squad where you will get proper support, or by being sneaky and flanking the enemy to get kills, or sitting in a good tank column with a decent gunner etc...

Dahak
November 28 2012, 04:18:37 PM

It cannot. However, you can still use the shield breaker to bust through and disgorge a bunch of HA and MAXes, while the top two turrets (fitted for anti-infantry work, of course) murder everyone spawning around the enemy Sunderer almost certainly deployed there.

Alistair
November 28 2012, 04:46:42 PM
No.
Just guns, boosters and blingbling.

Ah, I see. Slightly dissapointing, but makes sense.

IMO, playing more intelligently will net you more kills than different weapons. Some are better in specific situations but you can get just as many kills by going with a decent squad where you will get proper support, or by being sneaky and flanking the enemy to get kills, or sitting in a good tank column with a decent gunner etc...

Aye, I'm sure. But if what I've read about gun stats (i.e. starter guns are both lowest damage and worst accuracy around) is true, it cannot hurt to open up access to the 1000 stationcash guns for the classes I've enjoyed, can it? Then burn forthcoming certs on upgrades to those guns, and for class skills instead of waiting to get 100 certs (for me thats about 2 weeks of play at this rate) to open up a gun.

AssaultHamster
November 28 2012, 06:37:48 PM

No its the same slot. However at the minute its super handy to have available for taking those pesky Tech Plants who have a Sunderer parked up inside the inner shields. Load up with HA or AV Max, drive through that base shield A-Team style, nuke the pesky bugger, followed by the vehicle terminals. Works quite well, and seems to sufficiently throw the defenders off balance such that they can't recover and get another Sunderer up in time.

Yeah you can take down a tank with C4, or at least you could in Beta. I'm saving up certs for it at the moment.

Takes 2 x C4 for an MBT or Sunderer now, which is 700 Certs, unless you roll with a buddy who has a second C4 to throw. :( Anti-Tank mines work just as well, are cheaper in terms of Certs and they detonate in proximity to an enemy vehicle, they don't need to run over them to trigger.

Dahak
November 28 2012, 07:27:57 PM
Can you toss mines and have them detonate even if the vehicle isn't moving? I know in PS1 you could "bomb" enemy vehicles by deploying mines around them (good way to get rid of AMSs as a cloaker), but I've not actually even seen any mines so far.

Qui Shon
November 28 2012, 07:39:25 PM
What can you do after enemy hacks a vehicle terminal?
Can you get it back somehow? Hack it back? Fix it back? Raindance it back?

I've never hacked anything but I did get the 1cert hacking upgrade but got no option to hack the thing when near it.

AssaultHamster
November 28 2012, 08:06:40 PM
Can you toss mines and have them detonate even if the vehicle isn't moving? I know in PS1 you could "bomb" enemy vehicles by deploying mines around them (good way to get rid of AMSs as a cloaker), but I've not actually even seen any mines so far.

Yep, just throw the fuckers at the deployed Sunderer shitting troops at your base and they'll explode after a second or two even if he doesn't move. They only cost 75 Infantry Bucks too as opposed to 90 per Claymore.

What can you do after enemy hacks a vehicle terminal?
Can you get it back somehow? Hack it back? Fix it back? Raindance it back?

I've never hacked anything but I did get the 1cert hacking upgrade but got no option to hack the thing when near it.

Hacking can be a bit glitchy. I find it works best if you run up against the terminal/turret then take two steps back and press E. If you're too close the option to hack goes away, I assume its because you need to be pointing at a specific area in your FoV to hack something.

If somethings hacked, you can indeed hack it back, unless the little shit blew it up too after he hacked it, in which case you'd need to repair it before hacking it back, which you cant actually do, as it belongs to the other team. You're pretty much shit out of luck in that scenario until either the base flips, or some enemy engineer decides to repair it for you, for reasons I've yet to fathom.

Ashaz
November 28 2012, 08:13:47 PM
"Server restart in 15 minutes.
Shutdown reason: Locking out external players"

what exactly i sthat supposed to mean? :o

Pacefalm
November 28 2012, 08:20:11 PM
Whenever I get disconnected from server, the client crashes instead of bringing me to my character screen, bug?

Jason Marshall
November 28 2012, 08:20:33 PM
The server is spawning multiple instances of people and mis-reporting player locations. Its glorious!

Saul
November 28 2012, 08:31:18 PM
Oh wow, glad I decided to leave it til 9ish tonight!

ValorousBob
November 29 2012, 01:05:38 AM
They actually fixed the hacking stuff. Now if you destroy a terminal that's been hacked by the enemy, it reverts to your control and you can repair it

Alistair, the different guns are really mostly just sidegrades. The P2W stuff is the lock on missile launchers and the vehicle weapons. The only gun I can think of that's almost a straight upgrade is the one Krans was talking about that the engi/LA share. I'm pretty sure it was the default gun in Beta.

Victoria Steckersaurus
November 29 2012, 04:43:52 AM
Aye, I'm sure. But if what I've read about gun stats (i.e. starter guns are both lowest damage and worst accuracy around) is true, it cannot hurt to open up access to the 1000 stationcash guns for the classes I've enjoyed, can it? Then burn forthcoming certs on upgrades to those guns, and for class skills instead of waiting to get 100 certs (for me thats about 2 weeks of play at this rate) to open up a gun.

It kinda depends. IIRC, you play TR? The TR Medic starts with one of the best guns in the game, period (unless it's been nerfed). The carbines (Light assault and engineer primary weapons) are a bit like SMGs, they work best at short to medium range. The Lynx is murderously good, highly stable with an awesome ROF. The starting carbine is workable but not the best.

I have no experience at all with the different LMGs, I don't play heavy assault enough to warrant them. However, the Mini Chaingun for the HA is death in a can. Get that, get somewhere that the enemy has to engage you within 50m, preferably 20, and tear stuff up. Combine with an upgraded shield, especially the resist shield, and you're devastating. With an MCG and decent resist shield and nano armor, you can walk into a room full of enemies and reliably take three of them down with you.

I have no idea about upgraded MAX weapons, but being able to double up on the same thing is very handy, especially when it comes to using dual bursters against air.

I think I mentioned in the original thread, TR Infiltrator starts with a shitty sniper that's not much good past 100m. if you're in a position to use it within 70-100m without being spotted and killed, it's pretty effective, but for anything longer range you want the M-77B. For shorter range stuff, you want one of the scout rifles, like the SOAS-20. Afaik it's a bit like an RL M-14.

Shotguns can be pretty awesome in anyone's hands, assuming you're in close. Abusing the light assault jetpack to flank and get behind the enemy can net you a pile of kills with a shotty. As an Engi or Medic it gives you a nasty surprise for anyone who gets to close to your squad, good for covering doors and watching for flankers.

Qui Shon
November 29 2012, 11:02:17 AM
So if you buy prem membership, it says you get among other things 500sc per month. Does that mean you get 500sc the moment you buy membership, or one month after?

All the things I'd be interested in buying for SC, that is AA for HA, Rocket pods for fighter, maaaybe but lower priority MAX AI other arm) seem to be 700 SC, so I'd have to wait a month? Or two?

Secondly, anywhere to see stats on Flyer guns and rockets, like damage per shot/volley, dps etc? Are the rockets identical in stats between the flyers (Scythe/Mossie/Reaver)?

Is the Scythe 100cert main gun Light PPA worth a damn? I trialed it and tried to down a liberator, but messed it up and 2nd try I flew into a tree or something while practicing turning....

I know I know, too many questions...

ValorousBob
November 29 2012, 11:32:06 AM
All the rocket pods are exactly the same. All the upgraded main guns are pretty much exactly the same. People seem to be calling these "rotary guns". The Vanu version is called the Hailstorm Turbolaser and it's pretty fucking sweet. They have short clips, super fast reload, inanse ROF, insane DPS. If you land every shot, one clip will almost kill an ESF. It used to be that one clip killed a fighter, but they nerfed it/buffed fighter health late in Beta.

One of the people I played with in Beta claimed that two clips from the Hailstorm would kill a tank if you hit the rear armor. He explained that if you were just hunting tanks, you could drop the rocket pods for fuel tanks and use the extra juice to outrun virtually any lock on missiles that couldn't be flared off. Oh and I'm pretty sure it takes less time to shoot two clips from the Hailstorm then it takes to shoot all the rockets in one clip. Granted the rockets do way more damage total, but you get the point that the Hailstorm is fuckin fast.

The Light PPA is pretty bad. I had it in Beta and it's inferior in every way I could discern except one. It's supposed to be the anti-infantry "sidegrade" for the main weapon. It does this job better then the Saron Laser Cannon (default weapon), but is so vastly inferior to rocket pods that it's an utterly pointless weapon. It's also pretty bad at killing other ESFs, so you're helpless in a dogfight if you brought the PPA. Even if you got A2A missiles to deal with this, A2A missiles + PPA = 800 certs, which is only 200 away from the 1000 certs it would cost for rocket pods.

Qui Shon
November 29 2012, 12:26:03 PM
Cheers, you guys are awesome, veritable founts of useful information!

(Which ensures I will be pestering you again soon :p)

jbend9620
November 29 2012, 04:38:19 PM
can has derp on shitty computer?

Belid Hagen
November 29 2012, 06:15:20 PM
Alistair, the different guns are really mostly just sidegrades. The P2W stuff is the lock on missile launchers and the vehicle weapons. The only gun I can think of that's almost a straight upgrade is the one Krans was talking about that the engi/LA share. I'm pretty sure it was the default gun in Beta.

The AF-14 Torrent, right?

Yea, the only weapon where the NC have the best (tied best in this case) weapon for a class - and it has been removed from the game when they went from beta->release.

"go NC!"

DaBigCheez
November 29 2012, 06:39:24 PM
There are several Amp Stations where you can use the Magburner to jump the walls and terrorize unsuspecting infantry.

Would you like to know more? [x] yes [ ] no

DaneJa
November 29 2012, 06:48:07 PM
There are several Amp Stations where you can use the Magburner to jump the walls and terrorize unsuspecting infantry.

Barricades ain't no thang to a magburner (it lifts the tank a bit more while boosting it forward, often allowing you to cruise right over low barriers). Also, some places have terrain that goes right up to the edge of the base walls. In those cases you can just jump the wall since lolfalldamage.

Pacefalm
November 29 2012, 09:25:50 PM
If you land upside down you lose the magcharger though

ValorousBob
November 29 2012, 09:57:42 PM
can has derp on shitty computer?

Probably not. There's a guide on reddit for turning down the settings in the most efficient way possible. It helped me a decent amount, but depending on how "shitty" your comp is it might not be enough.

The AF-14 Torrent, right?

Yea, the only weapon where the NC have the best (tied best in this case) weapon for a class - and it has been removed from the game when they went from beta->release.

"go NC!"

I was actually talking about the Vanu VX6-7 thing or whatever, but yeah I remember getting killed by the Torrent in Beta. Did it get removed completely or just made into an expensive unlock?

What DaneJa said. I try to avoid the barricades on the infantry entrances because even though its possible, you get stuck a lot and then a heavy comes along and shits on you. I think it's still possible to jump the walls at Peris Amp Station by magboosting off one of the nearby hills. SOE has changed the terrain a decent amount though, so they might have ruined that. Freyr Amp Station has a section of the wall where a steep snow drift goes all the way up like the western side or something. Both the Amp Stations on the western side of Amerish have low hills close to the walls that you should be able to boost off. I haven't personally tested those though, so I can't say for sure.

Mr Creed
November 29 2012, 11:25:57 PM
Can anyone explain how the passive certs gain works? Does each character get it or only one per day? Most importantly, some sources claim you need to log in to get them daily or not only do you miss them for that day but you also dont get any until you log in again? Time to seed scrubs on each potential future server I guess.

Qui Shon
November 30 2012, 09:43:55 AM
Can anyone explain how the passive certs gain works? Does each character get it or only one per day? Most importantly, some sources claim you need to log in to get them daily or not only do you miss them for that day but you also dont get any until you log in again? Time to seed scrubs on each potential future server I guess.

You can only make three chars, which you prolly found out already.
Or three per account, that is.

ValorousBob
November 30 2012, 10:35:59 AM
I was wrong, it's actually Andvari Bio Lab on Esamir that has the snow drift by the wall. Got a lightning, a vanguard, and some infantry today by boosting over the wall while the gate shields were still up.

Qui Shon
November 30 2012, 10:50:36 AM
Two questions:

Premium/Membership, it is said to give 25-50% xp bonus.

1. Say its 50% and you also get a booster that gives 50% xp bonus, does this actually double the xp you get?

So that you'd get 200xp for a kill, almost a cert point per kill (they're supposed to be 1cert/250xp).
And 4xp for someone spawning from your Sunderer instead of the 2xp you now get?

The official thread on membership here (http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/planetside-2-memberships.47099/) has the "official" explanation and 4 pages of comments. But it is STILL unclear to me how it works, because people contradict each other in that thread.

The description states "Note: Each of the above start at 25% and increase by 5% per month of sustained membership up to a total bonus of 50% each at 6+ months of membership." but it has been said elsewhere that if you buy 6 months you get 50% immediately, you don't get 25% that then grows to be 50% after six months.

2. Has someone here bought 6 month or more of membership and can confirm or deny that you get 50% immediately?

Also if anyone is wondering the 500 SC per month you get from membership starts immediately so you get the 500 SC right away. BUT if you set your subscription to not auto-renew, you do NOT get the 500 SC/month, which makes lots of people feel cheated. So if you're going to cancel it only do that in the last month.

DaneJa
November 30 2012, 01:07:34 PM
Two questions:

Premium/Membership, it is said to give 25-50% xp bonus.

1. Say its 50% and you also get a booster that gives 50% xp bonus, does this actually double the xp you get?

So that you'd get 200xp for a kill, almost a cert point per kill (they're supposed to be 1cert/250xp).
And 4xp for someone spawning from your Sunderer instead of the 2xp you now get?

The official thread on membership here (http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/planetside-2-memberships.47099/) has the "official" explanation and 4 pages of comments. But it is STILL unclear to me how it works, because people contradict each other in that thread.

The description states "Note: Each of the above start at 25% and increase by 5% per month of sustained membership up to a total bonus of 50% each at 6+ months of membership." but it has been said elsewhere that if you buy 6 months you get 50% immediately, you don't get 25% that then grows to be 50% after six months.

50% is half, not 1. In a case where you would get 200 XP without the boost you would get 300 XP with it. If you subscribe for 6 months you get the whole 50% right away. If you sub monthly, you'll start at the base of 25% and add 5% each month until hitting 50%.

Qui Shon
November 30 2012, 04:22:32 PM
Thanks for confirmation, think I'll do 6 month deal then. :)

A normal solo kill is 100xp I think, +50% from membership + 50% from boost/implant bought with station cash. So if it's a 100% boost it'd be 200xp, or if it's +50% on top of base+50% (unlikely) then it'd be 225xp.

Victoria Steckersaurus
November 30 2012, 04:31:10 PM
Thanks for confirmation, think I'll do 6 month deal then. :)

A normal solo kill is 100xp I think, +50% from membership + 50% from boost/implant bought with station cash. So if it's a 100% boost it'd be 200xp, or if it's +50% on top of base+50% (unlikely) then it'd be 225xp.

Do the boosts stack with membership? Because we were supposed to get some sort of boost for alpha squad (10% ?) But now that I got the 12 month membership all I'm getting is the 50% from that.

Qui Shon
November 30 2012, 05:51:47 PM
Well the official forum thread I linked has players saying it does, but...that's not exactly a reliable source.

DaneJa
December 1 2012, 01:23:07 AM
The boost from Alpha Squad is an implant you need to plug in. It lasts 6 months and boosts10%. I'm pretty sure it will stack with an account boost along with inherent ones like squad action boosts. There is an implant that boosts 50% but doesn't last as long. Concievably you could boost 100% in addition to the inherent ones.

Ashaz
December 1 2012, 01:56:26 AM
So here's a propper noob question. If I end up as leader and some cunt starts spewing about how bad I am at it. How do I give him the honour of beeing the bad leader?
I'm too busy killing red and blue people to bother with internet srs bsns arguments in the squad chat.

DaneJa
December 1 2012, 05:19:54 AM
So here's a propper noob question. If I end up as leader and some cunt starts spewing about how bad I am at it. How do I give him the honour of beeing the bad leader?
I'm too busy killing red and blue people to bother with internet srs bsns arguments in the squad chat.

Go to the squad tab then click the arrows (>>) by the person's name and it should be an option on the menu.

Ashaz
December 1 2012, 09:08:45 AM

Go to the squad tab then click the arrows (>>) by the person's name and it should be an option on the menu.

ok so it was there. I was eyeing that button, but it didn't have any info popup so I didn't know if it was a kick button or what. :)

Qui Shon
December 1 2012, 11:29:05 AM
The Squad Beacon, do you get a small amount of xp when people drop in, like you get when they spawn from your sundy?

It's only 30certs so I figured why not. Drop it every once in a while for extra xp and extra peeps on your side.

Saul
December 1 2012, 01:45:41 PM
The Squad Beacon, do you get a small amount of xp when people drop in, like you get when they spawn from your sundy?

It's only 30certs so I figured why not. Drop it every once in a while for extra xp and extra peeps on your side.

Yeah you do, though not many as the cooldown per spawn is three minutes or so, and you can only drop it as SL. Was more useful in beta but with the Sundie spam nowadays I don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to.

Cortess
December 1 2012, 02:46:46 PM

Yeah you do, though not many as the cooldown per spawn is three minutes or so, and you can only drop it as SL. Was more useful in beta but with the Sundie spam nowadays I don't use it anywhere near as much as I used to.

It is only really useful if you want to come in from a different angle .... like dropping on the roof of techplants or on the top of a tower like the crown. You usually can kill there a few bads until someone with actually a working brain hears notices you (there aren'r much of them though).

tHornton
December 1 2012, 04:47:55 PM
squad bacon is sick for ~spec ops~

Elriche Oshego
December 1 2012, 05:08:23 PM
Has anyone tried the high velocity ammo? I'm curious if it is actually any good for long range combat or just a waste of 100 certs.

That being said, soft point is the win in CQC.

ValorousBob
December 1 2012, 10:49:39 PM
Has anyone tried the high velocity ammo? I'm curious if it is actually any good for long range combat or just a waste of 100 certs.

That being said, soft point is the win in CQC.

Yeah it's pretty good. Be careful what you unlock it for though. In Beta, a lot of the guns that could get high velocity rounds were obviously CQB guns, and a lot of the guns that could get soft point were obviously oriented for longer range. I think they changed this, but for awhile the alternate ammo types just brought guns more towards the middle instead of making them better at their intended role. I assume this was a balance/sidegrade decision.

Also just FYI on the soft point, *apparently* it can actually reduce your DPS at like point blank or something. One of the r/planetside posts that breaks down various weapon TTKs mentioned it, but I'm not sure how/why/if it happens.

Alistair
December 1 2012, 11:14:05 PM
It's amazing how bad I am, but I guess I've never been a FPS player really.

Hit 100 deaths, vs. 30 kills and 71 assists. :facepalm:

Some noob advice that worked out really well (or my numbers would be worse) was playing Engineer, and following stuff repping and ammo dropping. Some very good exp for that if you're not getting alot of kills.

Also, it's kinda fun, suprisingly. My even become my "main" class, since lolSniper has been an almost total waste of my time.

Qui Shon
December 2 2012, 07:28:36 PM
Next to my HA I've given my Engineer a fair bit of time as well. Besides supporting your team, it's good for xp whoring. Like repping up a turret is ~160xp or so, not to mention you need to repair any vehicles you use ever so often, and that's like xp for getting shot :P.

Think I'm gonna give him tank mines next, those seem OP, and all you have to do is place them along likely path. :)

So imma get a little SC, prolly the 3k, but, what to spend it on?

So far I got

700 SC Scythe Rocket Pods
700 SC Heavy Assault AA Rocket (Nemesis)
500 SC XP boost 50% 7day (I'll plug it in when I'm planning on gaming a lot.
??

The A2A missiles for ESFs aren't worth buying for SC's because they cost as many SC's as 1000cert items do, despite only costing 500 certs. And I've got them already on my Cobolt guy.

Mangala Solaris
December 2 2012, 07:54:45 PM
Get the other Burster for the Max :)

Qui Shon
December 2 2012, 08:53:26 PM
Hmm, that might be it, yeah. Cheers.

Victoria Steckersaurus
December 2 2012, 11:55:56 PM
It's amazing how bad I am, but I guess I've never been a FPS player really.

Hit 100 deaths, vs. 30 kills and 71 assists. :facepalm:

Some noob advice that worked out really well (or my numbers would be worse) was playing Engineer, and following stuff repping and ammo dropping. Some very good exp for that if you're not getting alot of kills.

Also, it's kinda fun, suprisingly. My even become my "main" class, since lolSniper has been an almost total waste of my time.

If you're playing engineer, I highly recommend the battle rifle. It's exclusive to the Engie and the HA and is designed for medium to long range engagement, very accurate.

Alternatively, get the nighthawk and fuck up anyone who gets to close to the squad you're supporting.

Protik
December 3 2012, 04:51:04 PM
Should i buy the lasher while it's on sale or not?

I know it's shit now, but should be buffed in the future. Or i could wait for SC double as im in no rush. Been told they happen every 2~ months, but as last one was black friday, next maybe around christmas/new years?

Saul
December 3 2012, 04:55:27 PM

I know it's shit now, but should be buffed in the future. Or i could wait for SC double as im in no rush. Been told they happen every 2~ months, but as last one was black friday, next maybe around christmas/new years?

Typical, it would go on sale less than a week after shelling out the full SC for it, the fuckers.

If you play HA regularly then yes - it's a monster inside biolabs/tech plants, less useful in open areas. Definitely not shit, I find myself using it more and more on big assaults/defences.

Lusc
December 3 2012, 04:58:05 PM

Typical, it would go on sale less than a week after shelling out the full SC for it, the fuckers.

If you play HA regularly then yes - it's a monster inside biolabs/tech plants, less useful in open areas. Definitely not shit, I find myself using it more and more on big assaults/defences.

Indeed I am also incredably bitter about this as well. I have decided I am going to by stuff on the daily sales from now on. It seems they are putting everything on it.

But yeah just to repeat what Saul says really. I purchased it just after release and only use it on Bio Labs or when I can see large bundles of enemys.

Saul
December 3 2012, 05:01:36 PM
Fave is in facilities with drop-down spawn access (e.g. Regent Rock etc), hide at stairway level and spam through the railings. Think you can hide in that corner? THINK AGAIN SMURF BOY :D

EDIT: AOE could be a little bigger though, but then :weaponslock:

Qui Shon
December 3 2012, 06:26:41 PM
Is it possible to de-spawn vehicles you have spawned?
So that you don't get the timer I mean, for example in case I can't find any enemy air I'd like to switch to ground attack fit on my scythe, without incurring the timer.

I'm asking because I watched this one guy spawn a sundy, drive it 20m, get out, and then the sundy just disappeared and the dude ran off somewhere on foot.

Mangala Solaris
December 3 2012, 06:32:46 PM
You can despawn/deconstruct a vehicle by pressing Page Down.

However that does not reset your timer (would negate the cert costs for timer reduction and SOE dont strike me as dumb enough to have missed that).

dpidcoe
December 3 2012, 07:48:27 PM
I find myself getting frustrated when the game turns into a lagtastic clusterfuck of zergspam against a base. Is there anything I can do to avoid that while playing solo and not being a waste of a player to my team? I find it hilarious to go sniper and spend 10 minutes running behind enemy lines and then popping them from behind as they exit spawn, but I suspect that's not all that helpful.

Also, I have like 200 certs after 16+ hours of play, is there a faster way to earn them is does that seem like a pretty normal rate?

Jason Marshall
December 4 2012, 10:07:08 PM
Thats a good cert rate for someone who avoids the Cert orgy that is zergging tech plants.

dpidcoe
December 5 2012, 07:15:42 AM
Thats a good cert rate for someone who avoids the Cert orgy that is zergging tech plants. Yeah, I since found out that my friend who claimed to make that in a few hours did it by defending a tech plant as engineer running around inside spamming ammo packs and repping stuff.

On the same note, last night I found that taking a sunderer with AMS + a small squad (like 6 maximum) to a quiet area and backcapping useless points that no one cares about is a decent way to at least feel useful and get some individual combat in. On the downside, that sort of combat basically comes down to whoever is entering the room gets a free 2 seconds of invisibility with which to shoot at everyone else.

yesmate
December 6 2012, 05:59:48 PM
When you spot enemies do you only get xp if someone then kills them or every time you spot? Does this work the normal way when in a tank/sundy turret?

Victoria Steckersaurus
December 6 2012, 06:16:50 PM
When you spot enemies do you only get xp if someone then kills them or every time you spot? Does this work the normal way when in a tank/sundy turret?

afaik, you only get xp if someone else kills it while you've got it spotted, more xp if it's a squadmate. Should work fine in vehicles.

Qui Shon
December 7 2012, 07:15:43 AM
If I buy a weapon that's available to multiple classes, does it get unlocked on all of them? (e.g. VX6-7 for Engy/LA)
Is there a difference if its bought with SC or certs?

ValorousBob
December 7 2012, 08:51:17 AM
If I buy a weapon that's available to multiple classes, does it get unlocked on all of them? (e.g. VX6-7 for Engy/LA)
Is there a difference if its bought with SC or certs?

1) Yes
2) No

Carbines are LA/Engi, Battle Rifles are HA/Engi, Shotguns are everything besides Infiltrators.

Qui Shon
December 7 2012, 09:20:13 AM
Great, might get that VX6-7 then...or mebbe a shotgun, have to give them a trial.
I find it odd that it almost seems to me that I'm more likely to win a stand up no cover frontal 1v1 shootout as LA/Engi then I am as HA, all with stock weapons. I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my HA's Orion.

ValorousBob
December 7 2012, 10:28:05 AM
You just gotta remember to use the HA's shield. The standard one is the Nanite Mesh Generator, which effectively gives you a second shield bar because it adds 500 HP on top of your base 1000.

Qui Shon
December 7 2012, 02:14:29 PM
You just gotta remember to use the HA's shield. The standard one is the Nanite Mesh Generator, which effectively gives you a second shield bar because it adds 500 HP on top of your base 1000.

Aye I'm a little bad at that :cry:, but under any circumstances my HA should not be WORSE at killing people then my LA/Medic, should it? That HA's NMG shield should extra on top of combat performance of Engi, not put it on par with Engi, no?
I mean, when I shoot at them with LA/Medic, they die before I do. When I shoot at them with HA, I die before they do. This is something I notice mainly in surprise encounters.

Yet that's how it feels for me. Not sure why, maybe I move better as LA/Medic avoiding some fire, or the LMG is harder to aim with, iunno.

This doc puts NMG/Adrenaline shields at 750, it's a comparo between NMG/Adrenaline/Rez shields for HA.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao2sGqpRdtcDdEpSM1llZEtOU1BGSjVLaGQxMUJHN Xc#gid=2

Think I might go Resist shield and modify the way I play HA a bit. Maybe put more certs point into the self health fixer. Not sure....the adrenaline thing looks pretty attractive too.

Dwergi
December 7 2012, 03:15:21 PM
Why does everyone use the regen thing? Medkits are instant, and as far as I can tell, they restore an amount that's within 10% of each other. As far as certs go, medkits go 50/100/150 and regen kits go 30/100/200 - so to get 3, you need to spend 300 on medkits and 330 on regen kits.

Only factor I can see is resource cost, but really that's not an issue, since I'm always overflowing with the stuff.

Qui Shon
December 7 2012, 03:55:36 PM
Because the first cert for it is cheaper :p

And maybe if you're pro gamer pro, so not me, you might inject just before you get shot to let you last one or two extra bullets worth 8-)

Pacefalm
December 7 2012, 03:57:28 PM
Medkits > regen kits

Antaris Xenal
December 7 2012, 03:57:36 PM
Because the first cert for it is cheaper :p

This is why.

Ashaz
December 7 2012, 04:36:32 PM
Those free certs you seem to get.
How do they work?

Someone mentioned one passive cert per hour, but that doesn't seem to be right. I didn't touch a character for 3 days and when I logged back in I had 14 certs.

Qui Shon
December 7 2012, 05:17:04 PM
Apparently it's two every four hours for non-prem, and you need to log in to that char every 48 hours to get it.

yesmate
December 7 2012, 07:50:41 PM
Feel pretty dumb that ive only just realised you have to manually equip suit armour in the loadouts, hopefully will die less from now on. What upgrades for engi are the best? I have vx6 so deciding between soft point, rep tool and ammo crate atm.

ValorousBob
December 7 2012, 09:11:21 PM
Ammo crate upgrades suck dick. Get AT mines asap, replace the ammo box with AT mines. When you want ammo, select the ACE Tool (the thing that drops turrets) and press 'B' which will make it drop ammo packs instead.

Antaris Xenal
December 7 2012, 09:23:38 PM
Ammo crate upgrades suck dick. Get AT mines asap, replace the ammo box with AT mines. When you want ammo, select the ACE Tool (the thing that drops turrets) and press 'B' which will make it drop ammo packs instead.

I ended up going with infantry proximity mines instead of the anti tank mines. They insta kill anyone they hit.

Qui Shon
December 7 2012, 10:10:59 PM

I ended up going with infantry proximity mines instead of the anti tank mines. They insta kill anyone they hit.

They're pretty nice on tech plant defense, or attack, but on attack you'd probably not be engineer. Infil gets them too.

ValorousBob
December 7 2012, 11:22:23 PM

Yeah they're pretty good too. Engineer has a cert tree where they can carry TONS of explosives so its my long term plan to max that out along with all the various explosives you can get (C4, AT mines, claymores).

They're pretty nice on tech plant defense, or attack, but on attack you'd probably not be engineer. Infil gets them too.

See I like AT mines for Tech plants so I can prevent shield diffuser rushes. That way you can focus on infantry without having to worry too much about the flanks.

Dirk Magnum
December 8 2012, 06:58:02 PM
Is there any workaround if the game crashes on initial loading, claiming the video card doesn't meet the requirements? Kinda lame when the only difference is an AMD processor instead of the "required" Intel processor.

Antaris Xenal
December 9 2012, 01:51:13 AM
This seems like a good source of information, has some game tweaks I haven't seen before:
http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/11/planetside-2-in-game-commands-and.html

Protik
December 9 2012, 09:48:14 PM
What defense slot for magrider? They all look rather lacklustre :/

Nicholai Pestot
December 9 2012, 10:34:19 PM

They persist after resupply/class change/death.....so put them both down.

ValorousBob
December 9 2012, 10:56:14 PM

Front armor because the Mag's gun is hull mounted. Your strongest armor will always be facing the enemy as long as you don't turn to flee.

Yeah I know, but I meant I don't have enough certs for both. When I get prox mines I will though.

lucian
December 10 2012, 04:56:12 AM

Front armor because the Mag's gun is hull mounted. Your strongest armor will always be facing the enemy as long as you don't turn to flee.

Yeah I know, but I meant I don't have enough certs for both. When I get prox mines I will though.

I think you max out at three mines deployed though, so that might not work out so well.

Alistair
December 25 2012, 07:37:52 PM
When Flying (especially) or driving a Vehicle, how does one switch to Third-Person view?

Much appreciate the help.

Winged Nazgul
December 25 2012, 07:39:09 PM
When Flying (especially) or driving a Vehicle, hoes does one switch to Third-Person view?

Much appreciate the help.

T key

Cortess
December 26 2012, 12:15:57 AM

Thing is ... does it even help? Seeing it gives only xy% (don't know how much exactly right now, but not much), i wondered if it even allows you to survive one more tank-shell?

Kransthow
December 26 2012, 03:29:58 AM

Thing is ... does it even help? Seeing it gives only xy% (don't know how much exactly right now, but not much), i wondered if it even allows you to survive one more tank-shell?
http://onebit.us/x/i/06vmpbVMbV.jpg
Yes, tank shell damage and resistance are v. finely tuned in this regard. The additional 5% damage reduction will result in 1 extra tank shell to kill on average, for comparison the AP shell also only increases shell damage by about 5% but is also useful because it shaves off an additional shell to fire (as well as higher shell velocity).

My Magrider setup is:
Sauron HRB
FPC

Magburner
Frontal Armour
Rival Chassis

I use it in an exclusive tank hunter role and it absolutely annihilates enemy armour.

ValorousBob
December 26 2012, 04:29:33 AM
[QUOTE=Protik;651676]What defense slot for magrider? They all look rather lacklustre :/

My Magrider setup is:
Sauron HRB
FPC

Magburner
Frontal Armour
Rival Chassis

I use it in an exclusive tank hunter role and it absolutely annihilates enemy armour.

+1 to this, I use the exact same thing except I didn't upgrade the chasis because increasing hover power makes it harder to roadkill. I'd really been missing the FPC since Beta, but I finally got it yesterday with SC and I'm SOOOOOOO glad I got it back. One of the most satisfying weapon systems in the game. Sniping running prowlers from hundreds of meters away is the shit.

Kransthow
December 26 2012, 04:49:39 AM
harder to roadkill.
http://onebit.us/x/i/jxdWq0NZLF.jpg
So from virtually impossible to impossible.

I like hovering high so shit doesn't get in the way of your gun so much and you can climb hills better and you can hide underneath your tank.

Ophichius
December 26 2012, 06:22:01 AM
harder to roadkill.
http://onebit.us/x/i/jxdWq0NZLF.jpg
So from virtually impossible to impossible.

I like hovering high so shit doesn't get in the way of your gun so much and you can climb hills better and you can hide underneath your tank.

Don't forget you can also then drive over enemy tanks and spin around to hit the rear armor while they're still WTFing. Usually requires magburning in close (and is often suicidal vs tank blobs)

-O

Pacefalm
December 28 2012, 04:41:50 AM
Imho the top armor is better than the front armor. Half the time you can dodge enemy shells anyway but if theres an aircraft above you you will be taking damage pretty much no matter what

Ophichius
December 28 2012, 05:12:56 AM
Imho the top armor is better than the front armor. Half the time you can dodge enemy shells anyway but if theres an aircraft above you you will be taking damage pretty much no matter what

Top armor really only protects against gunships, and only buys you one extra shot (2.5 seconds) of protection. Any decent ESF pilot will be angling to hit you in the rear, as they can then one-pass you with rockets. (Rockets are 7600 damage if the whole volley hits, in practice about half will not. Rear armor takes 2.4x normal damage. 3800 * 2.4 = 9120, tanks have 8k HP.)

I'd actually make the case that mine guard is the best defensive upgrade for tanks. AT mines are infrequent, yes, but they're also the only attack type where the defensive upgrade will likely result in a significantly prolonged existence for your tank. Front/side/top armor buy you one extra hit from an AT weapon before you pop. But if that one extra hit saves you, you're in really poor shape anyways and likely to die soon as you're (probably) still under fire. AT mines are 100-0 ambush weapons, and will only ever be employed in two ways. Suicide engineering, in which case they've blown their load and probably killed themselves in the process of trying to kill you; or pre-planned mine deployment, in which case the engineer is probably halfway to Majorca and in no position to pop up and kill you when his mines fail to do so. In either case you most likely have time to rep up from the damage if it doesn't kill you. Front/Side armor are better than top armor in most cases, due to the fact that you're much more likely to be able to respond to threats that are at ground level, hitting your side or frontal armor, than you are able to respond to air threats hitting your top armor. If air power wants you dead, you're fucked, top armor or no.

-O

Alistair
December 30 2012, 10:08:20 PM
Are Passive Cert Gain effected by the number of characters you have?

I.e. If I have two (which I do) does each get a full issuence of passive (non-play-based) certs?

Or do they spilt whatever number the account gets between them?

Thanks. Just deciding to keep/not keep my Vannu Alt, given my main needs every cert I can get him. If it's full for each, will roll a lol Blue Team dude for whynot.

Qui Shon
December 31 2012, 05:09:15 AM
It's full for each, but you have to log in to each char every 48 hours, or was it every 24...think it was 48.

Dr.Boomtown
January 19 2013, 12:02:13 AM
for the sundy do you get more points average off the vehicle ammo dispenser upgrade or the vehicle repair upgrade? and do you have to be deployed for those to be in effect?

ValorousBob
January 19 2013, 01:38:56 AM
Neither have to be deployed to work.

Unfortunately the repair upgrade is bugged right now and gives no XP. In fact it's been bugged like that since at least mid Beta. *SOE*

The ammo dispenser is also bugged; if you're in a squad you'll only get XP from supplying squad mates, but if you're not in one you get XP from everyone. It gives great XP if you can follow a tank zerg around. Magrider hill is an absolute XP orgy if you can park a combined AMS/Ammo sundy up there while the Vanu are bombarding the Crown. People like me that sit up there and farm vehicle kills with our sniper FPCs go through a LOT of ammo. Not to mention that while your sundy is parked up there you can repair friendlies and drop ammo for the Burster MAXs/infantry, giving you 4 very solid XP sources at the same time.

Dr.Boomtown
January 19 2013, 01:44:19 AM
Neither have to be deployed to work.

Unfortunately the repair upgrade is bugged right now and gives no XP. In fact it's been bugged like that since at least mid Beta. *SOE*

The ammo dispenser is also bugged; if you're in a squad you'll only get XP from supplying squad mates, but if you're not in one you get XP from everyone. It gives great XP if you can follow a tank zerg around. Magrider hill is an absolute XP orgy if you can park a combined AMS/Ammo sundy up there while the Vanu are bombarding the Crown. People like me that sit up there and farm vehicle kills with our sniper FPCs go through a LOT of ammo. Not to mention that while your sundy is parked up there you can repair friendlies and drop ammo for the Burster MAXs/infantry, giving you 4 very solid XP sources at the same time.

looks like im gonna get the ammo upgrade then, cheers.

also on engineer weapons are there any that are a solid upgrade off the default weapon and not terrible expensive?

Kransthow
January 19 2013, 01:49:45 AM
for the sundy do you get more points average off the vehicle ammo dispenser upgrade or the vehicle repair upgrade? and do you have to be deployed for those to be in effect?
http://onebit.us/x/i/5BW5VOB3wm.png
>Using vehicle repair over ammo ever.

ValorousBob
January 19 2013, 01:59:44 AM

also on engineer weapons are there any that are a solid upgrade off the default weapon and not terrible expensive?

As far as I can tell, no. The VX6-7 is boss, but costs 1000 certs. The Serpent is the VX6-7 with more DPS and slower reload, but also costs 1000 certs. If you really don't like the Pulsar C, try the one that can get underbarrel grenade launchers. I think it's 500 certs so if you don't hate the actual gun part, getting it for the noob tube is totally worth it.

Dr.Boomtown
January 19 2013, 02:42:57 AM

As far as I can tell, no. The VX6-7 is boss, but costs 1000 certs. The Serpent is the VX6-7 with more DPS and slower reload, but also costs 1000 certs. If you really don't like the Pulsar C, try the one that can get underbarrel grenade launchers. I think it's 500 certs so if you don't hate the actual gun part, getting it for the noob tube is totally worth it.

how are the battle rifles?

Kransthow
January 19 2013, 03:27:08 AM

how are the battle rifles?
awful

Ophichius
January 19 2013, 09:42:55 AM
>Using vehicle repair over ammo ever.

Vrep is solid for battle sundy blobs, and can do wicked things if you partner up. Two vrep sundies, one deployed, one supporting is a -lot- of passive repair. You won't entirely out-rep Daltons and the like, but it will make killing either sundy with rockets a huge pain. Also, 4 battle sundies with vreps = massive blob of fuck you. Assuming Vrep 4 or 5, you can and will simply shrug off tank cannon fire. That's also 8 bulldogs, or 4 bulldogs, 4 kobalts. Either way, a terrifying amount of firepower.

Shit for XP farming though, as previously mentioned.

Pulsar C is a solid upgrade, it hits harder per-shot than any other carbine. 167 (5-6 shots to kill) vs 143 (6-7 STK) at point blank. It's more of a mid-range weapon however, as it has nastier recoil and worse RoF. Slap a foregrip, compensator, and HV ammo on it (In that order) plus whatever your choice optic is, and it becomes a terrifying mid-range threat. VX6-7 is a horribly effective CQB weapon, and if you run it with laser sight + compensator, it becomes a hipfire enemy liquefaction device. Shotguns aren't engineer-only, but are also awesome close-to-mid engines of destruction. Finally, the Solstice SF is a sort of jack-of-all-trades gun, you can fit it with a laser sight + compensator + softpoint ammo to make it a nasty point-blank face-shredder, or alternately kit it up with compensator + foregrip + HV ammo and a nice optic for mid-range performance. HV ammo + compensator is still an overall net reduction in recoil, in case you feel like rolling with the underbarrel launchers instead. And of course, since all those attachments fit on one gun, you can easily refit for different situations.

-O

Venec
January 19 2013, 10:59:53 AM
So whats the best way to farm certs beside dropping ammo packs at chokepoints?

ValorousBob
January 19 2013, 12:19:59 PM
I was getting 12,500 xp per hour at Eisa today. That's a solid, but not amazing, 50 certs an hour. Good AMS placement in a big battle, occasional vehicle resupply from when Proc drove near it, repair/resupply xp farm on the top deck, a bunch of group kills ganking sundies with AT mines and C4, some kills with the turrets, and finally some random kills when just running around repping gens. The best xp gain for a single action would probably be Zephyr Lib whoring, but you can make a ton of XP in any large battle by just looking for opportunities.

One thing that's always gotten me a lot of XP and ~goodfites~ is pushing the southern flank on Indar and then setting up a Burster MAX camp. You can repeatedly kick the hornets nest by shooting all the air leaving the NC warpgate and then dig in at Spec Ops/Red Ridge/Scarred Mesa for when they come to dislodge you. We did it a ton in Beta and made assloads of certs, but UBADs only done it once afaik. Next time we get like a full squad we should definitely do it.

Cortess
January 19 2013, 12:42:23 PM
Noob-question regarding mines incoming:

1. Do MAXs trigger AT-mines?
2. Do bouncing-bettys or AP/(Claymores) trigger AT-mines?

Ophichius
January 19 2013, 12:56:32 PM

1: No, they count as personnel, and thus trigger AP mines.
2: Yes, and you can use AT mines as 'boosters' to blanket a wider area using an AP mine as the trap trigger. That said, with the inclusion of spawn invulnerability the only location where that's really a great idea (spawn tube 'fuck you' memos to the new owners) is going to go away. Leaving only the occasional biolab spawn room flip as a place to really excercise it. (Wait for the spawn room to get camped in, plant a prox mine at the top of the stairs with a couple AT mines trailing down. They're far enough back/up that they -probably- won't get fragged by the flurry of grenades/rockets/bullets fired by the mob rush, and you'll score a few kills. Bit of an expensive way to do it though.
2a: AT mines are vulnerable to damage in much the same way that AP mines are, which is to say -everything- will set them off if it does sufficient damage. Rockets, grenades, bullets, tank cannons, etc.

-O

NoirAvlaa
January 19 2013, 01:40:10 PM

2: Yes, and you can use AT mines as 'boosters' to blanket a wider area using an AP mine as the trap trigger. That said, with the inclusion of spawn invulnerability the only location where that's really a great idea (spawn tube 'fuck you' memos to the new owners) is going to go away. Leaving only the occasional biolab spawn room flip as a place to really excercise it. (Wait for the spawn room to get camped in, plant a prox mine at the top of the stairs with a couple AT mines trailing down. They're far enough back/up that they -probably- won't get fragged by the flurry of grenades/rockets/bullets fired by the mob rush, and you'll score a few kills. Bit of an expensive way to do it though.
2a: AT mines are vulnerable to damage in much the same way that AP mines are, which is to say -everything- will set them off if it does sufficient damage. Rockets, grenades, bullets, tank cannons, etc.

-O

Heh, I remember when taking an outpost a max was sitting on the objective. I ran through the room, dropped an AT mine and shot it as he came out the door. 1 dead max :D

ValorousBob
January 19 2013, 09:10:15 PM

-O

Heh, I remember when taking an outpost a max was sitting on the objective. I ran through the room, dropped an AT mine and shot it as he came out the door. 1 dead max :D

If you get the utility belt upgrade for the engineer, you can lay 2 AT mines at each door of the teleporter rooms. Sticky grenade one door and then run around and shoot the other pair. The long fuse on grenades means you can often get them to explode at the same time and vaporize everyone inside the room, including MAXs! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately sticky grenades are bugged and don't always stick.

Ophichius
January 19 2013, 11:51:31 PM

If you get the utility belt upgrade for the engineer, you can lay 2 AT mines at each door of the teleporter rooms. Sticky grenade one door and then run around and shoot the other pair. The long fuse on grenades means you can often get them to explode at the same time and vaporize everyone inside the room, including MAXs! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately sticky grenades are bugged and don't always stick.[/QUOTE]

Cheaper/easier to just C4 each forcefield once. C4 blasts go through forcefields.

-O

ValorousBob
January 20 2013, 01:36:06 AM

Unfortunately sticky grenades are bugged and don't always stick.

Cheaper/easier to just C4 each forcefield once. C4 blasts go through forcefields.

-O

Yeah but the explosions not nearly as big so you don't get to feel as ~smug~ and MAXs with flak armor will often survive two C4 on the doors.

Also apparently explosions going through shields is a glitch and therefore killing people with it is technically an exploit. From what I heard SOE isn't banning people for it, but I'm probably gonna stop just to be safe.

Ophichius
January 20 2013, 01:50:29 AM
Yeah but the explosions not nearly as big so you don't get to feel as ~smug~ and MAXs with flak armor will often survive two C4 on the doors.

Also apparently explosions going through shields is a glitch and therefore killing people with it is technically an exploit. From what I heard SOE isn't banning people for it, but I'm probably gonna stop just to be safe.

A glitch? What sort of idiotic glitch requires...argh. What the I don't even.

That's fixable in a couple dozen lines of code. Shit, it -should- already be baked into their LoS checks for explosives anyways.

-O

ValorousBob
January 20 2013, 01:56:58 AM
We're rapidly approaching the point where we need a special emoticon for :SOE:. Hell, I'm not sure why we don't have a CCP one...

Dr.Boomtown
January 20 2013, 03:37:06 AM
not sure what i should be upgrading first. a weapon for my bloke, or start pimping out a tank or sundy maybe v0v

edit: i kinda thinking i might go for weapon first cause it will make meee feel better, even though pimping a sundy would help the :team: more

Varcaus
January 20 2013, 04:38:29 AM
We're rapidly approaching the point where we need a special emoticon for :SOE:. Hell, I'm not sure why we don't have a CCP one...

:psyccp: you mean this?

ValorousBob
January 20 2013, 04:54:20 AM

:psyccp: you mean this?

Welp, I forgot that was an actual emote we could do, ty ty.

Varcaus
January 20 2013, 05:34:37 AM
Seeing as their is :psydayz: bug entrox

Ophichius
January 20 2013, 01:21:43 PM
not sure what i should be upgrading first. a weapon for my bloke, or start pimping out a tank or sundy maybe v0v

edit: i kinda thinking i might go for weapon first cause it will make meee feel better, even though pimping a sundy would help the :team: more

Pimped sundy is not necessarily a huge team help. Sinking 50 certs into AMS Sundy is mandatory though.

As in, one of us will murder you in your sleep if you don't.

Weapon-wise, are you looking for a room broom or a longer-ranged gun? For room brooms, the VX6-7 carbine, H-V45 assault rifle, or VX29 Polaris LMG with laser sight, compensator, and NOT softpoint ammo (SPA is shit). For longer-ranged, hard-hitting guns, Pulsar C carbine, Corvus assault rifle, CME assault rifle, Flare LMG or Ursa LMG with vertical foregrip, compensator, and high-velocity ammo.

In either case, the laser/foregrip should be your first big purchase for the weapon, as it will make the greatest difference. Optics are up to personal choice of course.

If you want solid general-purpose guns, the Solstice SF carbine and Equinox (NOT Equinox burst) assault rifles are good all-around weapons which can take underbarrel grenade launchers in addition to the standard attachments, and are designed as highly flexible weapons (a Solstice SF with laser sight + compensator makes a decent hipfire room broom, while the same carbine with foregrip, compensator, and HV ammo makes a solid mid-range gun. Or you can forego the laser sight/foregrip for an underbarrel grenade launcher or underbarrel smoke launcher.)

-O

Dr.Boomtown
January 20 2013, 08:34:43 PM

Pimped sundy is not necessarily a huge team help. Sinking 50 certs into AMS Sundy is mandatory though.

As in, one of us will murder you in your sleep if you don't.

Weapon-wise, are you looking for a room broom or a longer-ranged gun? For room brooms, the VX6-7 carbine, H-V45 assault rifle, or VX29 Polaris LMG with laser sight, compensator, and NOT softpoint ammo (SPA is shit). For longer-ranged, hard-hitting guns, Pulsar C carbine, Corvus assault rifle, CME assault rifle, Flare LMG or Ursa LMG with vertical foregrip, compensator, and high-velocity ammo.

In either case, the laser/foregrip should be your first big purchase for the weapon, as it will make the greatest difference. Optics are up to personal choice of course.

If you want solid general-purpose guns, the Solstice SF carbine and Equinox (NOT Equinox burst) assault rifles are good all-around weapons which can take underbarrel grenade launchers in addition to the standard attachments, and are designed as highly flexible weapons (a Solstice SF with laser sight + compensator makes a decent hipfire room broom, while the same carbine with foregrip, compensator, and HV ammo makes a solid mid-range gun. Or you can forego the laser sight/foregrip for an underbarrel grenade launcher or underbarrel smoke launcher.)

-O

im already running on AMS and ammo pack for my sundy and optics for the default guns.

as for guns i like flexible all rounders, did a trial with the solstice SF last night and it felt pretty solid for only 500 creds. just 250 more to collect now =\

and im assuming all weapon upgrades are specific to that weapon even if they do appear on other weapons? ie forgrips bought on the solstice SF will only unlock the forgrip for the solstice SF

ValorousBob
January 20 2013, 09:42:53 PM
Yup.

dominus
January 21 2013, 12:54:43 PM
Is Lasher any good? Is it room clearing thing (i already have nova) , or mid range, or what?

Saul
January 21 2013, 01:36:04 PM
Is Lasher any good? Is it room clearing thing (i already have nova) , or mid range, or what?

Yes. Suppression/fucking people up round corners.

MadNick
January 21 2013, 04:46:08 PM
Grip mod on standart VS assault rifle worth spending 100 points?

ValorousBob
January 21 2013, 08:15:18 PM

Yes. Suppression/fucking people up round corners.

Especially when used in groups. Me and Saul already have it, so if other people buy it we can use it as a squad weapon to completely lock down chokepoints and stuff. There was a video on r/planetside of Azure Twilight totally shutting down a tower spawn room with a single squad of Lashers.

Grip mod on standart VS assault rifle worth spending 100 points?

Well the Pulsar LSW (or is it 'LMG'?) is a straight uprgade so if you can get that, don't spend certs on the stock one. As far as the forward grip goes, I don't really know. I mostly do medium/close range stuff so I use a laser sight. The only gun I've put a forward grip on is the CME.

Kransthow
January 21 2013, 10:59:29 PM
http://onebit.us/x/i/SdTEnk48Az.png
Forward grip is well legit for medium to long range combat

Antaris Xenal
January 22 2013, 02:21:18 PM
I have the Lasher as well so I'll be ready for those squads when the time comes :)

MadNick
January 22 2013, 04:30:53 PM
Took grip and 2x scope. Best thing I ever done in ps2.

LordsServant
January 27 2013, 05:57:20 PM
So uh....Im downloading this game as I type this.

Any suggestions on what to do for noobies?

My initial thought was either go infiltrator or light assault, as I enjoy the idea of running "nano(the eve understanding of it, IE fast/mobile)" stuff. Light assault seems like it'd be excellent for that, but I've heard elsewhere theyre useless. Infiltrator seems cool in that you can fuck shit up quite a bit even as a solo player.

I really have no idea what to do, so I'd appreciate any tips, suggestions, etc etc.

Varcaus2
January 27 2013, 06:00:15 PM
Give ammo and jew xp for your first 1000 or so certs

LordsServant
January 27 2013, 06:07:43 PM

And how do I do that? I'm on ventrilo atm. Is this the right comms? (I have no idea what I'm doing) :shitshit:

Varcaus2
January 27 2013, 06:08:15 PM

And how do I do that? I'm on ventrilo atm. Is this the right comms? (I have no idea what I'm doing) :shitshit:

Ammo packs

dominus
January 27 2013, 06:18:08 PM

My initial thought was either go infiltrator or light assault, as I enjoy the idea of running "nano(the eve understanding of it, IE fast/mobile)" stuff. Light assault seems like it'd be excellent for that, but I've heard elsewhere theyre useless. Infiltrator seems cool in that you can fuck shit up quite a bit even as a solo player.

I really have no idea what to do, so I'd appreciate any tips, suggestions, etc etc.

Mate, u dont have to "go" any class, just play them all for first 10-20 hours. Have fun. Explore gameplay. Do stupid, unusual stuff. Fight, fly, drive, shoot, light, heavy, max, do it all.. Whatever falls on your mind - do it. Sometimes u will surprise yourself it is possible. If not, u will die hilariously. +1 anyways.

After that time, you will see what classes u played the most - that is your forte.

Personally - i play LA, heavy, inf, in that order.

Drive a bit of tanks. Fly just to get from point A to point B.

THAN, put those hard earned certs into classes u prefer, and their weapons.

U cant really go wrong, just try it out, and all will be answered..

Good luck

ValorousBob
January 27 2013, 08:55:22 PM
Infiltrator is kind of a shit class atm. LA is indeed good for solo cert whoring, but you kinda have to know the base layouts to really take advantage of it. I'd spend most of your time as Medic and HA at first because those are the best straight up combat classes.

Also Dominus is right, this IS and MMO, but NOT and RPG. I LOL at people who say they only play a specific class. The classes are like the ones from Battlefield, you should be comfortable using all of them.

Venec
January 27 2013, 10:53:17 PM
Deploying ammo packs at chokepoints during heavy firefights as engi is a great way to farm xp. Plus there is always a ton of stuff to repair.

Kransthow
January 27 2013, 11:05:44 PM
Infiltrator is kind of a shit class atm.
http://onebit.us/x/i/wp9Atsp7mP.jpg
Say that to my suppressed artemis irl not online and see wot occurs m8

Cortess
January 28 2013, 10:18:22 AM

I don't like the artemis that much. The half-automatic spectre/starting gun seems just at good.
But i consider getting the AP mines.

Which classes can lay AP mines anyway?

Procellus
January 28 2013, 10:58:17 AM
Engineers and Infiltrators. I have AP on my Engineer but I never seem to use them. Whenever I have them equipped I always seem to find a Sunderer or tank in need of some lovin'.

Venec
January 28 2013, 11:22:42 AM
APs are great for defending generators, just place them at the doors and go switch to ATs.

ValorousBob
January 28 2013, 12:00:19 PM

Meight don't get me wrong, the Artemis is beast, but a new player won't have the SC or certs to unlock it. Not to mention the 100 certs for suppressor, 30 for scope, maybe even 100 for laser seeing as it has virtually no horizontal recoil, making the grip pointless.

Then compare this to the glory that was Nova infiltrators.

Kransthow
January 28 2013, 12:48:48 PM
I don't like the artemis that much. The half-automatic spectre/starting gun seems just at good.
http://onebit.us/x/i/ChEAjsN4ad.png
They're completely different weapons for completely different styles of play. The spectre is a semi-auto sniper rifle while the artemis is a full-auto rifle more suited to CQ. I don't know by what metric you are deeming the spectre just as good because they are apples and oranges.

it has virtually no horizontal recoil, making the grip pointless.
The artemis has balanced horizontal recoil, not no horizontal recoil, this means it goes straight up when you fire it but using a grip reduces sideways jitter which tightens your fire on the horizontal which helps hitting targets (as people are generally not very wide) which is definitely not pointless.

Then compare this to the glory that was Nova infiltrators.
To be fair that was just broken.

Ophichius
January 28 2013, 02:45:58 PM

Depends on where you plan to be rolling. Infiltrator is quite viable solo, but I highly recommend getting the XM98 (it's only 100 certs). The starting rifle takes three body shots, or two headshots, to kill. The XM98 is an instakill on headshot. If you're a good shot and good at maneuvering to find solid sniping spots, infiltrator racks up loads of certs because you get bonus XP for killstreaks, and once you get up to 20-30 kills the killstreak bonus per kill is actually worth more than the headshot bonus + kill itself.

Light Assault is purely anti-personnel until you unlock 2 stacks of C4. That said, you're right on the money that it's a fast, squirrely class. Early on without any of your neat tricks, you'll be relying on finding enemy blind spots. Get on rooftops, tucked away into niches on building exteriors, or come in through second-floor windows. You've got more alternate approaches open to you than any other class.

LA isn't useless, but without sinking certs into it you don't have the ability to engage targets that actually matter (Sunderers, armor, turrets) and don't provide any sort of support to classes that do. Since they can't support their side's infantry or armor, their job is to fuck over enemy support. Come at the enemy from odd angles and pick off their engineers, fly up to enemy sniper perches and murder them all, hunt down enemy spawn beacons and destroy them. Once you buy C4 your target list expands quite a bit, you can hunt MAXes, blow up turrets, and set traps for vehicles. Your second C4 brick lets you kill heavy tanks and Sunderers, substantially improving your overall utility.

Keep in mind that there are two often diametrically-opposed ways to play the game. Cert farming and actually playing the objective. Killing a Sunderer is worth maybe 600 points if you catch a lot of enemies nearby. If you're an infiltrator with a bolt-action rifle picking off people as they spawn at the Sunderer you can often get 2000+ points before someone wises up and starts trying to counter snipe. Playing the objective with a squad and a good SL is a pretty solid way to make XP, as they'll be throwing you into heavy fighting so the kills will be plentiful and fast. But if you're on your own, ignore the objective and farm kills.

As for infiltrators, if you want to snipe, your first 100 certs should be for an XM98, your next 200 should be for AP mines. If you're going for a CQB infiltrator, first 200 AP for prox mines. Don't put a suppressor on a sniper rifle, It lowers the bullet velocity considerably and those 100 certs are much more useful elsewhere.

Spend 200 certs to unlock AT mines on your engineer. They're absolutely essential for squad ops as they give you the ability to insta-kill Sunderers if you can get close enough to throw both mines. Likewise, spend 50 certs unlocking the AMS module for your Sunderer, so that you can use your Sundy as a mobile spawn point.

Also, spend 30 certs in the leadership tab to unlock the squad spawn beacon. We often have to juggle people in to squad leader positions to deploy beacons, and the more people with beacons, the greater the overall flexibility. Particularly if you're going to be a LA player, as beacons can be planted on roof tops or in difficult to access areas to make them hard to destroy.

-O

Cortess
January 28 2013, 09:34:52 PM
@Krans
Artemis vs spectre

I have no numbers to back it up, but i find the spectre in close almost just as potent as the artemis. spectre needs 3 bodyshots to kill, don't know how much the artemis needs. Firerate of the spectre is also quiet high and firing from the hip is accurate enough to kill that dude who just popped out of the turret you hacked.

I'm a bad shot so when using the artemis i need all of the 20 rounds it has ... and if i don't kill that guy with them, i die anyway. Might be just me, bt i just find the artemis does not fit my playstyle.

Ishanda
January 29 2013, 08:43:45 AM
What's a good weapon to get for HA general use? I've been using the starter gun with a fair degree of success, is there anything which is a straight upgrade?

ValorousBob
January 29 2013, 10:58:07 AM
What's a good weapon to get for HA general use? I've been using the starter gun with a fair degree of success, is there anything which is a straight upgrade?

Krans enlightened me on the Pulsar LSW. It's exactly the same but has 75 rounds per magazine instead of 50.

Alistair
January 29 2013, 04:54:14 PM
Noob Engineer Question:

I just unlocked C-4 for my Engineer.

The slot it takes is the same one I have my "Ammo Resupply" item in.

Is there any way to use BOTH the Ammo Resupply item AND the C-4 item in one loadout?

I'd much rather dump the mostly unused Turret Thing and keep the Exp-Generating ammo Drop, and still have access to the C-4 for blowy-up.

Venec
January 29 2013, 05:03:38 PM
Equip turret, press B. Turret changes into ammo pack.

Magic.

Alistair
January 29 2013, 06:16:52 PM
Equip turret, press B. Turret changes into ammo pack.

Magic.

Excellent. +Rep for your kindness.

Venec
January 29 2013, 06:30:32 PM
Better rep Bob, cause he's the one that told me this :P

Qui Shon
January 29 2013, 06:30:55 PM
So with all this talk of infiltrators, not having had much time and even less success with the class, I thought I'd trial another bolt action and try again.

Only to unlock it with fookin SC instead..... FUCK!! How did that happen :(

At least it was a bolt action....and the iron sights one...had some success with that once, as Vanu.

Question: Does suppressor prevent it from OHK on headshots?

Saul
January 29 2013, 06:34:28 PM
DERP.

V10 is the only bolt action I use, came with Alpha Squad. SMGs is gonna be mint.

Dr.Boomtown
January 29 2013, 08:19:05 PM
how is the zephyr on the liberator for generating exp?

ValorousBob
January 29 2013, 08:38:48 PM

Pretty much the best XP farm in the game if you can find large groups of infantry.

There's a Vanu on Miller that flies his lib solo and hot swaps between the weapons to farm people. :lol:

At least it was a bolt action....and the iron sights one...had some success with that once, as Vanu.

Question: Does suppressor prevent it from OHK on headshots?

In the first BF: Bad Company game you could put a red dot sight on the M95 and instakill people at short range. I got the Ghost (the bolt action you're referring to) in a weapon pack so I've been meaning to try for some close range headshot action.

The suppressor does NOT prevent headshots from OHK'ing.

Space Panda
January 29 2013, 11:12:16 PM

it rules, though in practice i have found the dalton to be more effective. you can one shot ESF's if you get a hit, it wrecks armor, and can still kill infantry.

i have both, both rule, but lately i have been using the dalton much more due to gunner request.

and i got one kill doing the seat swap thing. it's hilarious, but i tend to focus on using the Tank Buster when goin' solo. it eats up everything.

Dr.Boomtown
January 29 2013, 11:21:32 PM
im kind of at that point now where i want to play but i feel im too ineffective to be much use other than as a grunt on the ground as a meat shield and grinding the 750-1000 credits for a decent gun on the lib or rocket pods so i can be an effective pilot is just putting me off.
short of buying station cash whats a quick way of grinding dem creds

Space Panda
January 29 2013, 11:27:56 PM
be a pro engineer whore. follow the zerg, repair all teh things, spam all the ammo. if you see a group of anti-air maxes spraying into the sky like idiots, stay with them and farm. use both your turret ammo kit, and your utility kit for max coverage. once a base is capped, drop ammo near vehicle terminals. all the zerglings seem to congregate there after a cap, probably to conserve body heat, so you get a massive streak of resupply XP. if you have to go eat or something, find a known zerg outfit's sundy and just sit in there. do this over and over, like a chinese isk farmer.

or just kill lots of people with a heavy assault, but that actually requires effort and stuff.

NoirAvlaa
January 29 2013, 11:28:02 PM
im kind of at that point now where i want to play but i feel im too ineffective to be much use other than as a grunt on the ground as a meat shield and grinding the 750-1000 credits for a decent gun on the lib or rocket pods so i can be an effective pilot is just putting me off.

Engineer. I'm still rolling with stock weapons and killing loads. The stock weapons in this game are actually good enough to kill many, many people.

Go engi, get nanoweave up a bit, get anti tank mines and aim at Sunderers. You'd be amazed how easy it is to get to a sunderer, people ignore you if you don't shoot them 70% of the time so you can just get right up to one, throw AT mines down and die in a glorious fireball.

Also when you select your turret press "b" and it'll switch to an ammo pack, follow the zerg(preferably follow MAX groups and repair them) and just keep dropping ammo packs for people, you get 20(I think) xp per resupply. Double for squad mates, 25xp per MAX rep cycle, 15xp per vehicle rep cycle. (I think these numbers are about right, going off the top of my head, but I last played in double xp weekend so might be wrong)

If you can't be arsed with that just go medic and revive EVERYONE you see in the zerg. Or get someone to fly lib and learn how to be a good gunner.

Qui Shon
January 29 2013, 11:51:25 PM

Cheers. Gave it a go and ended up playing for an hour or so. 2x Reflex and suppressor worked fairly well for me, meaning it was fun. Rushing past their lines cloaked, setting up to the side, getting a few kills. My requirements weren't high :)

Using the 4x...didn't like it much.

Mind, I'd have gotten more kills with prolly any other class :lol:, guess I'm just not infiltrator type, prefer in yo face rat tat tat.
Normally I do 1.2-2 K/D playing infantry, or did last I played actively, but playing infiltrator as close range brawler (lul) I got 0.66, to the surprise of nobody.

Also, I can attest that this is still an issue for the TSAR-42, so likely for all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdVNrPWV7og

Dr.Boomtown
January 29 2013, 11:51:51 PM
i have been an engi whore so far and got ~380 certs but zergs in au timezones just aren't as big and dissipate quickly. so i cant really farm them.

thinking i may have to pay more attention to my outfit and start squadding up. did they manage to fix the squad resupply XP bug yet? and the one on the sundy vechicle resupply bug?

Varcaus2
January 30 2013, 12:34:27 AM
i have been an engi whore so far and got ~380 certs but zergs in au timezones just aren't as big and dissipate quickly. so i cant really farm them.

thinking i may have to pay more attention to my outfit and start squadding up. did they manage to fix the squad resupply XP bug yet? and the one on the sundy vechicle resupply bug?

Nope iirc

Varcaus2
January 30 2013, 12:37:44 AM

Cheers. Gave it a go and ended up playing for an hour or so. 2x Reflex and suppressor worked fairly well for me, meaning it was fun. Rushing past their lines cloaked, setting up to the side, getting a few kills. My requirements weren't high :)

Mind, I'd have gotten more kills with prolly any other class :lol:, guess I'm just not infiltrator type, prefer in yo face rat tat tat.
Normally I do 1.2-2 K/D playing infantry, or did last I played actively, but playing infiltrator as close range brawler (lul) I got 0.66, to the surprise of nobody.

Also, I can attest that this is still an issue for the TSAR-42, so likely for all of them.

Could just not be bad and its not that big a deal

Dr.Boomtown
January 30 2013, 12:43:59 AM

Nope iirc
tbh that bug has been the only thing keeping me out of squads and shit so far and its fucking stupid and they should fix it

Qui Shon
January 30 2013, 12:44:38 AM

Whether you're bad or good has little impact on how big a deal it is. Why are you shitting up this thread?

Varcaus2
January 30 2013, 12:52:00 AM
You still have a box put the head in middle if they are far away use a long range rifle? I didn't say it wasn't a problem it's just not a massive problem.

Kransthow
January 30 2013, 01:19:06 AM

Whether you're bad or good has little impact on how big a deal it is. Why are you shitting up this thread?
http://onebit.us/x/i/fyO2gEVxKm.png
As someone who uses a ghost with a 4x scope, it isn't a big deal at all. Though it mite just be a vanu scope thing because you can still fairly easily see where your crosshair is when cloaked with the 4x.

ValorousBob
January 30 2013, 03:35:34 AM

This has very little to do with your guns or vehicle weapons. Putting certs into tools and equipment is FAR more important than getting the best weapon for each class. 75% of combat is really decided before the shooting even starts. Sure the VX6-7 and Serpent are boss guns, but a Pulsar C or Solstice used effectively is almost just as good. You'll feel a massive boost in efficacy when you start putting certs into things that give you options. Spending your certs on things like tank mines, flash bangs, smoke grenades, C4, medic/repair tool upgrades, drifter jets, turbo for the flash, scout radar on an ESF (lol*), etc., will broaden the number of ways you can win fights.

I'm amazed by how often I say "X up in chat if you have tank mines or C4" and only like 2 or 3 people X up. The 100 certs it costs to get the first level of tank mines is easily the most cost effective certs you will EVER spend (aside from maybe the first level of Nanoweave for 1 cert). It doesn't even matter if you're terrible and can't find the enemy sunderer no matter how hard you try. A competent squad leader will drop a beacon, mark the enemy sundy with the squad waypoint, and tell you to spawn with tank mines and land on the waypoint. All you have to do is follow the green marker when you drop in and you're virtually guaranteed to be able to kill the enemy sunderer and win the battle IN ONE MOVE.

This game definitely makes it hard for individuals to make a huge impact, but if you have lots of different tools/tricks in your arsenal you'll be better equipped then like 90% of other players.

*Earlier, me Saul and a few others were defending Ikanam Bio Lab. I parked my radar scythe in the lower area and Saul deployed a sunderer. The NC outnumbered us handily but it was still a small fight so we were able to just farm every single red dot that got near the Bio Lab. I left the base with a 4.7 K/D ratio. There's no way that would have been possible without a radar scythe, and yet no one seems to realize how good that upgrade is...

Dr.Boomtown
January 30 2013, 03:58:01 AM

This has very little to do with your guns or vehicle weapons. Putting certs into tools and equipment is FAR more important than getting the best weapon for each class. 75% of combat is really decided before the shooting even starts. Sure the VX6-7 and Serpent are boss guns, but a Pulsar C or Solstice used effectively is almost just as good. You'll feel a massive boost in efficacy when you start putting certs into things that give you options. Spending your certs on things like tank mines, flash bangs, smoke grenades, C4, medic/repair tool upgrades, drifter jets, turbo for the flash, scout radar on an ESF (lol*), etc., will broaden the number of ways you can win fights.

I'm amazed by how often I say "X up in chat if you have tank mines or C4" and only like 2 or 3 people X up. The 100 certs it costs to get the first level of tank mines is easily the most cost effective certs you will EVER spend (aside from maybe the first level of Nanoweave for 1 cert). It doesn't even matter if you're terrible and can't find the enemy sunderer no matter how hard you try. A competent squad leader will drop a beacon, mark the enemy sundy with the squad waypoint, and tell you to spawn with tank mines and land on the waypoint. All you have to do is follow the green marker when you drop in and you're virtually guaranteed to be able to kill the enemy sunderer and win the battle IN ONE MOVE.

This game definitely makes it hard for individuals to make a huge impact, but if you have lots of different tools/tricks in your arsenal you'll be better equipped then like 90% of other players.

*Earlier, me Saul and a few others were defending Ikanam Bio Lab. I parked my radar scythe in the lower area and Saul deployed a sunderer. The NC outnumbered us handily but it was still a small fight so we were able to just farm every single red dot that got near the Bio Lab. I left the base with a 4.7 K/D ratio. There's no way that would have been possible without a radar scythe, and yet no one seems to realize how good that upgrade is...

im the kind of player who always likes to be in a vehicle and some of the default vehicle guns are quite underwhelming. like the scythe, the default gun is ok for air to air combat but if i want to shoot anything on the ground its buckets of meh, rocket pods would more than double the amount of potential targets i can take out with a scythe. and i would be much more inclined to fly a liberator if i had a zephyr for it

ValorousBob
January 30 2013, 04:47:56 AM
Yeah true the vehicles definitely need new weapons for most situations.

untilted
January 30 2013, 07:28:05 AM

pretty much this.

e.g. for operations behind enemy lines we usually use a flash with scout radar to keep an eye on the spawnrooms of smaller bases.

the same goes for the individual player ... e.g. having C4/mines or just a silencer can help you tremendously in ruining other peoples days.

i *love* the LA. when i started i was glad to have 0.5 k/d ratio in a session. but after attaching a silencer and a 2x reflex to the starting weapon, getting C4 (and flashbangs - which i haven't really tried yet) and another level in jumppacks i'm usually somewhere between a 1.0 and 2.0 k/d ratio in a session.

winning firefights is often about creative use of the terrain. in one fight at a biolab NC held the ground and most parts of the interior, while a TR squad kept coming in on one of the landing pads and farming NCs poking their heads out. i just used the elevators to my advantage - move up with the elevator, kill one dude with the surpressed carbine, go in the downwards elevator, reload, mid-air switch to the upward elevator, kill another dude, rinse and repeat. got me like 8 kills that way before they even knew i was there.

edit: regarding the cloaking bug .. i guess that has something to do with the fact that the other sniper scopes have an extra scope screen, while the CQB scopes are just a zoom in on the model. the same effect is likely happening with shotguns/pistols/SMGs (pretty much everything that doesn't get the black scope screen.

Venec
January 30 2013, 07:45:36 AM
When we're attacking towers I like to roll LA with Pandora, rush the first floor from outside with jetpacks running around like a madman, get a couple of kills and GTFO to friendlies to resupply/heal. I was really suprised how ppl don't tend to notice you up until you unload pellets to their face.

ValorousBob
January 30 2013, 08:05:55 AM
(and flashbangs - which i haven't really tried yet)

They're harder to use then the ones in other games because they don't make any sound when they explode, so you have to know the timing really well to know when you've blinded your enemies. They're great for blinding MAXs then running up and dropping C4. Also for areas that you *know* the enemy is staring at intently, like the outside of of teleporter rooms in Bio Labs.

untilted
January 30 2013, 08:36:11 AM
(and flashbangs - which i haven't really tried yet)

They're harder to use then the ones in other games because they don't make any sound when they explode, so you have to know the timing really well to know when you've blinded your enemies. They're great for blinding MAXs then running up and dropping C4. Also for areas that you *know* the enemy is staring at intently, like the outside of of teleporter rooms in Bio Labs.
yeah, for the beginning i guess i'll use them in the usual "have to flush out enemies from cap point scenarios" ... where i usually drop a (non-effective >_>) frag grenade

my expectations are low .. as long i'm not flashing myself i guess i'm happy with it :mrgreen:

ValorousBob
January 30 2013, 11:33:27 AM
Just to clarify Boomtown, you DO get xp for supplying squadmates normally, the only thing that's broken is *vehicle* resupplies. Squad MAX resupplies and repairs are fantastic sources of XP.

yesmate
January 30 2013, 04:04:03 PM
Biolab engy farming is pretty good xp. Sit in the teleporter rooms spamming ammo and there are always maxes who need repping every 10 seconds when they poke out the doors. Fit a NV scope and you can pick off spengs who run in front of the shield.

Dr.Boomtown
January 30 2013, 08:08:06 PM
Just to clarify Boomtown, you DO get xp for supplying squadmates normally, the only thing that's broken is *vehicle* resupplies. Squad MAX resupplies and repairs are fantastic sources of XP.

iv found i get less resupplys just from dropping an ammo box when im in a squad but maybe im just insane

Procellus
January 31 2013, 11:59:41 AM
Sometimes when capping as a squad we'd drop ammo packs and just shoot and reload. Its a great way to kill time even if it does feel a little like cheating

Procellus
January 31 2013, 11:59:41 AM
My first double post! Gotta get a screencap

Glyken Touchon
January 31 2013, 12:24:59 PM

iv found i get less resupplys just from dropping an ammo box when im in a squad but maybe im just insane

You'll be getting them from supplying your squad, but not from supplying other people.

Dr.Boomtown
January 31 2013, 12:35:25 PM

You'll be getting them from supplying your squad, but not from supplying other people.

Well you see the problem is they is generally a lot more people not in my squad than there is

NoirAvlaa
January 31 2013, 02:17:12 PM

You get from both. The sunderer doesn't give for non squad, normal ammo does.

Tappin' dat talk

Glyken Touchon
January 31 2013, 03:16:08 PM
Always seems to me that when I leave squad the resupplies start rolling in.

Victoria Steckersaurus
February 4 2013, 08:11:50 PM
I think that's been bugged for a while. If you're in squad, you don't get xp for non-squadies grabbing ammo. That's why many engies will leave squad during big zerg battles, they get more xp that way.

Saul
February 4 2013, 08:26:50 PM
The vehicle one is fixed though, p. sure it was in the patch notes for the Jan patch.

Dr.Boomtown
February 4 2013, 09:05:20 PM
now i get the feeling im not getting exp from resupplys if i have been alive for to long, like i was on a hill dropping ammo boxs for 10+ infiltrators and maxes getting a steady roll of resupply and then suddenly, nothing. i renewed my ammo boxs still nothing, i put one right on a bloke asking for ammo with an ammo indicator abouve his head and still nothing, so i went and got myself killed came back renewed my boxs and started getting the exp again.

this happened a few times

Procellus
February 4 2013, 09:07:06 PM
That happened to me once. I think it may be to prevent people for exploiting the xp for ammo mechanic

Glyken Touchon
February 4 2013, 09:17:57 PM
Seems there's a cap, but I've seen some debate about it seems to work:
either xp per time unit (5 mins?)
or xp per character
or xp per character per death (yours or theirs).

There's apparently also a cap for infiltrators hacking terminals - they stop getting xp after a while.

ValorousBob
February 5 2013, 01:18:23 AM
Yup, all support actions have XP caps. They're time sensitive though, so just do something else for awhile and even if you don't die/switch class it'll go away.

Dr.Boomtown
February 5 2013, 01:59:53 AM
thats silly but i suppose neccecary so you dont get blokes farming ammo resupplys in warpgate

Antaris Xenal
February 5 2013, 05:24:24 PM
thats silly but i suppose neccecary so you dont get blokes farming ammo resupplys in warpgate

Yeah sucks they have to, but people will exploit anything they can. FHC included sometimes :P

Cortess
February 5 2013, 06:19:50 PM
Couldn't they just give no XP inside the warpgate for stuff like this? (Repairing not included ofc).

But no ... they go the dirty route and hope noone notices.

ValorousBob
February 5 2013, 06:50:54 PM
Well it's also to stop people farming with bots.

Dr.Boomtown
February 6 2013, 08:23:15 PM
so how does the radar on vehicles work? i threw level one onto my flash last night and took it for a spin but it wasnt making any wavey lines on the minimap like the infiltrator ball does. or do they just show up when they are in range?

edit: and how is ground to air EXP given? i managed to punch a liberator with the default rocket launcher the other day and got an unexpected 80exp. does this exp come from all ground weapons if you do enough G2A damage or is it limited to rocket launchers?

Dahak
February 6 2013, 08:30:20 PM
so how does the radar on vehicles work? i threw level one onto my flash last night and took it for a spin but it wasnt making any wavey lines on the minimap like the infiltrator ball does. or do they just show up when they are in range?

edit: and how is ground to air EXP given? i managed to punch a liberator with the default rocket launcher the other day and got an unexpected 80exp. does this exp come from all ground weapons if you do enough G2A damage or is it limited to rocket launchers?

I don't have the radar myself, but I think I recall from a video that it was just always active, no real indication of range or anything like that.

As for G2A XP, anything that does damage. I shot a Liberator with a Prowler cannon and got it. What the threshold is, I do not know.

ValorousBob
February 6 2013, 09:00:55 PM
Scout radar pulses the same as tracer darts, but doesn't show the wave. You'll see enemies show up as slowly flashing/pulsing dots.

Saul
February 6 2013, 09:05:07 PM
You did remember to equip it to the Flash, right? ;)

G2A xp is a new thing, happens when you inflict non-trivial damage to aircraft.

Dr.Boomtown
February 6 2013, 09:43:45 PM
i made sure it was equipt, littler radar dish on the back of the flash and everything was just expecting a pulse on the minimap is all.

so bursters and immobile AA turrets give G2A exp too?

Saul
February 6 2013, 09:50:59 PM
i made sure it was equipt, littler radar dish on the back of the flash and everything was just expecting a pulse on the minimap is all.

Should do, yeah. I presume it displays as an assist of some form; people were complaining that because air can fly off and repair, they were being 'cheated' of xp.

Dr.Boomtown
February 6 2013, 09:55:26 PM

Should do, yeah. I presume it displays as an assist of some form; people were complaining that because air can fly off and repair, they were being 'cheated' of xp.

thats something that always kept me out of G2A rarely getting a kill so i might give it anouther try now

ValorousBob
February 6 2013, 11:14:49 PM

It shows up as "Surface to Air Damage" and seems to give 80xp most of the time. It also gives you XP for all damage, even if it results in a kill. Some dumb Terran thought it'd be a good idea to fly his damaged lib over Snake Ravine at low altitude. He took a round from my Mag's FPC to his cockpit and disintegrated. I got the XP for the G2A damage AND for the kills from the Liberator/Pilot/Gunner.

Mr Creed
February 9 2013, 02:34:51 AM
What's the point of the recoil-reduction attachment for the bolt action sniper rifle? I think there was one for horizontal recoil at least?

Kransthow
February 9 2013, 05:26:48 AM
What's the point of the recoil-reduction attachment for the bolt action sniper rifle? I think there was one for horizontal recoil at least?
http://onebit.us/x/i/9RAxEgFb0f.jpg
Placebo

Ophichius
February 9 2013, 08:32:08 AM

Being a tactical operator operating tactically in tactical operations.

-O

Procellus
February 9 2013, 01:40:45 PM
Its called a G-Money or Gangster grip. It pretty much turns you into a Delta operator

Sandzibar
February 9 2013, 02:45:55 PM
Its called a G-Money or Gangster grip. It pretty much turns you into a Delta operator

You need to combine it with some gucci-flage to be truely TIER ONE.

edit: oh and a skull hat. youre gonna need a skull hat.

ValorousBob
February 9 2013, 07:26:45 PM

You need to combine it with some gucci-flage to be truely TIER ONE.

edit: oh and a skull hat. youre gonna need a skull hat.

Hoodside 2 can't even handle how fresh you'd be.

untilted
February 17 2013, 02:42:03 PM
sooo ...

i wanted to upload some videos of people hacking/abusing glitches.
problem: everytime i upload them to youtube they turn up as 480p - other people tho' mention that they can upload them as HD just fine. no HD option makes capturing videos as a proof of these things futile as the on-screen-text is unreadable.

i already set the capture quality in the in-game video menu to the highest possible settings.

is there anything i didn't consider? or am i just SOL in this regard and i have to get FRAPS?

DaneJa
February 20 2013, 07:22:40 PM
sooo ...

i wanted to upload some videos of people hacking/abusing glitches.
problem: everytime i upload them to youtube they turn up as 480p - other people tho' mention that they can upload them as HD just fine. no HD option makes capturing videos as a proof of these things futile as the on-screen-text is unreadable.

i already set the capture quality in the in-game video menu to the highest possible settings.

is there anything i didn't consider? or am i just SOL in this regard and i have to get FRAPS?

I've never tried the packaged recorder, but from videos I've seen using it it looks like shit. Even HD still looks like SD that's been upscaled.

Qui Shon
March 5 2013, 12:02:35 AM

Bandicam is free and does what fraps does, except adds a bandicam.com text to your vids.

Edit, Oh, seems like they added 10min time limit for vids.

Dr.Boomtown
March 5 2013, 12:43:26 AM
is there a way I can see my ping? or can I see it already and its just been staring me in the face the whole time?

Qui Shon
March 5 2013, 12:40:08 PM
is there a way I can see my ping? or can I see it already and its just been staring me in the face the whole time?

http://failheap-challenge.com/showthread.php?10087-Qui-s-memos

Saul
March 5 2013, 03:58:30 PM

Bandicam is free and does what fraps does, except adds a bandicam.com text to your vids.

Edit, Oh, seems like they added 10min time limit for vids.

Yeah, annoying that. Still use it for screens occasionally.

untilted
March 14 2013, 11:46:59 AM
what is must-have stuff for the magrider?

i guess saron w/ 2x optics is pretty much a given, so is the magburner (i guess a mineguard as well, i hate those sneaky engineers)

maingun - HEAT/HE/AP? while i like the HEAT on the vanguard the setup of the magrider is a bit :meh: for all-round, i find it relatively difficult to line up shots on infantry over longer ranges. and for short ranges, well .. there i prefer a turret over a spinal-mounted gun. not to mention the fact that you need three shells to the back of another MBT to kill it. so maybe specialization is the way to go for the magrider?

chassis - racer or combat? tried a fully upgraded combat chassis in VR and now i feel bad for taking the racer (yay for being retarded >_> ) .. i guess combat is the way to go?

Cortess
March 14 2013, 01:55:39 PM
I was with a random in a full racer upgraded magrider as gunner in the saron. Racer doesn't seem so bad ...

ValorousBob
March 14 2013, 07:03:03 PM
Racer is alright, it's just a different play style. The worst main gun for Mags is the HE. The traits of the Magrider just really don't work well for infantry farming except at long ranges, the HE projectile is so slow you'll have a hard time hitting moving targets. Not to mention it has the most drop of all MBT main guns. HEAT and AP are both good options.

theBlind
March 18 2013, 07:07:02 PM
How do I switch ingame chat channels to talk to outfit / squad?

Saul
March 18 2013, 07:31:23 PM
How do I switch ingame chat channels to talk to outfit / squad?

Tab will swap between active channels in the top left, but you don't need to swap channels. Use /squadsay for squad chat, /platoonsay for platoon chat, and /outfitsay for the outfit channel. You can also /tell a specific character and /reply to reply to the last tell received. Additionally, /re (region chat) is faction only to all Vanu/etc in the current hex (cannot be seen by enemy), and /yell is hex-wide but visible to all factions.

You're generally better staying in the 'general' channel and using the text shortcuts; it'll all still be displayed (with coloured text to differentiate), but you won't miss anything. If you tab to a different channel, e.g squad, that channel will be all you see. Some people prefer it that way; I personally prefer to see all of what's being said, enemy /yells included.

Victoria Steckersaurus
March 18 2013, 10:20:47 PM
Additionally, those shortcuts can be shortened some more (unless they changed this) to /s, /p and /o for squad, platoon and outfit. pretty much all I use.

pitfighter
March 19 2013, 10:39:16 AM
quick question,

is there anyway to steer the droppods when deploying with them, its just the other night when the squad was hitting the roof of the building with CQB weapons, i always dropped outside of it, no matter which buttons i tried to faceroll to see if i could steer it ? which in turn made me feel a bit of a noob ^^

theBlind
March 19 2013, 11:41:09 AM
Use your normal movement keys. What happened to me some times is that I started pressing the movement key to early and the input did not register (wait for 1-2 seconds after loading). Usually you can then just release the key and press again to get the movement to work but sometimes that will bug out and you simply won't be moving into that direction.

Aim for the enemy sunderers.

Question: There is a vanu (desert?) camoflage scheme that makes people all yellow-ish and me all trigger happy ("NC! kill quick! Damn, friendly fire. Again."). Is there a way to disable those or am I stuck with people dumb enough to make themselves look like the enemy? Should I just "realize" that they are friendly a second or two later when they are dead and hope the message sticks?

Cortess
March 19 2013, 02:21:12 PM
Question: There is a vanu (desert?) camoflage scheme that makes people all yellow-ish and me all trigger happy ("NC! kill quick! Damn, friendly fire. Again."). Is there a way to disable those or am I stuck with people dumb enough to make themselves look like the enemy? Should I just "realize" that they are friendly a second or two later when they are dead and hope the message sticks?

You'Re talking about my giraffe-suit. Yes ... i get teamkilled more often since i have it. Upside is the enemy has the same problem with his fof until i start shooting him.

But then i don't have any problem with others wearing their giraffe-spandex.

Maybe change your color-schemes a bit? I found mine pretty good (bright pink for Vanu (from the first line of colors), a red for TR (5th line, 1st row) and blue for NC (1st line, 5ft row again)

theBlind
March 19 2013, 03:04:06 PM
By the time I checked the team colors, I have identified the giraffe spandex myself (I find the helmet to be a good giveaway, personally).
I only have a problem with super quick IDs when coming around a corner or shooting into a CQB with several people in a small room.

Re: color schemes, I tried empire colors but switched back to enemy/friendly because I hesitated too long when shooting NC (blue IFF -> don't shoot is deeply ingrained it seems). I'll give that another try when I'm better with IDing from body color schemes and armor looks.

ValorousBob
March 19 2013, 07:11:51 PM
Try to find some way to play with empire colors on, it vastly expands your situational awareness. UBAD uses scout radar a lot and with empire colors you'll be able to tell which enemy faction is attacking from which direction. It makes three-way clusterfucks much easier to manage.

Phrixus Zephyr
March 19 2013, 08:06:33 PM
What Bob said. I swapped it to enemy/friendly but swapped it back because of that.

Dr.Boomtown
March 19 2013, 09:20:22 PM
how do you change the UI i keep seeing youtube vids of people with their health and shield bars below their crosshairs and stuff but i cant find an option for it