PDA

View Full Version : browser of choice

spiralJunkie
April 29 2011, 05:07:52 PM
I switched to FF4 last month because I was told by (I think Frolls)that is super best. I found it slow and clunky compared to chrome, was sad. Chrome really is da best. smooth, fast, and I like tab dragging to a new monitor.

Aurora148
April 29 2011, 05:11:04 PM
netscape 1.3

Madscotsman
April 29 2011, 05:11:24 PM
Voted Chrome(ium)

Helen
April 29 2011, 05:18:39 PM
FF4 can tab drag to new window.
Do people have really shit computers or something because I don't see a speed difference between chrome and ff.

Bombcrater
April 29 2011, 05:25:11 PM
Poll lacks SeaMonkey and is thus relevant only to peasants.

Laundry
April 29 2011, 05:25:56 PM
Why spirals

RoemySchneider
April 29 2011, 05:37:35 PM
i checked out opera back when they implemented irc and havent had a compelling reason to switch to something different. not that it's omgwtfawesome or anything but i'm not neckbeard enough to care about scripting and such -.-

TimMc
April 29 2011, 05:52:41 PM
Firefox. I wouldn't say 4 since it crashes my computers nvidia drivers constantly. Had to disable hardware acceleration.

Voulture
April 29 2011, 05:54:39 PM
Opera ftw.
What Quar said before, i am using Opera for like 8 years, i could switch to any other browser and adjust it the same way i want but... why?

Quarantine
April 29 2011, 06:09:32 PM
I'm using Opera because ages ago it already had the ability to preserve any entered text in the browser and I went "hell yeah no more lost postings". Even though it has a couple of quirks here and there, I never found a reason to switch. I tested Firefox a couple of times and it can probably do everything Opera can and even more with add-ons, but I am accustomed to Opera so why bother with a change.

Hatepeace Lovewar
April 29 2011, 06:23:50 PM
Chrome, anyone using any thing else is either unaware or a Contrarian.

Tarminic
April 29 2011, 07:01:54 PM
Opera ftw.
What Quar said before, i am using Opera for like 8 years, i could switch to any other browser and adjust it the same way i want but... why?
People say the same thing about Internet Explorer...

Voulture
April 29 2011, 07:45:50 PM
Yeah and about any other browser...

But, ok i will post it. I tried all other ones, i got Iron still installed cause i use it from time to time. Seriously, are you going to flame other people just before they chose the one you are not supporting? I love my speed dial (guess who did it first) i love the current graphic layout (the same one firefox stole from opera) and i love built in irc client. Its all i need, my browser is fast and safe and looks really neat. Why the fuck i need to post all this shit - point is simple, every good browser can be adjusted exactly the way you want it, they are all super fast - doesn't matter if you use chrome / opera / firefox, you can use any of them as a base. They are all good enough to suit your needs and they are all so close to each other its even funnier why you still try to flame other people about it.

Browser flamewars are so 2007

Frools
April 29 2011, 08:10:23 PM
you seem mad

EntroX
April 29 2011, 08:57:45 PM
look at all those points on lolchrome.

I KNOW BETTER

http://pics.entrox.me/Screen%20shot%202011-04-29%20at%204.57.07%20PM.png

(stats for FHC this month)

Helen
April 29 2011, 09:01:42 PM
The majority can't be wrong!

Aea
April 29 2011, 09:14:19 PM
Firefox is okay (has better tools, Firebug, etc). Chrome is better for everyday browsing and is getting there w/ development tools.

fng
April 29 2011, 09:19:31 PM
FF4 was crashing here (might be ok since new catalysts). FF3 felt so sluggish compared to Chrome. I tried Opera for a week and thought it was good and classy. But :effort: finding plugins etc.

Ben Derindar
April 29 2011, 09:27:54 PM
Tried Chrome, seems to randomly crash for me, Firefox doesn't, gg.

mitthrawn
April 29 2011, 09:30:51 PM
Chrome all the way.

Aramendel
April 29 2011, 10:22:07 PM
Used Chrome (newest Version) on my Netbook for a month or two to test it, but had some strange annoying behaviour: when I was loading tabs other already loaded tabs would freeze (i.e. fully loaded forum page -> open other link in new tab -> cannot scroll in forum page until new tab has finished loading). Eventually switched to FF4 on the netbook due to that, runs just as fast and without that annoyance.

Using FF4 on my desktop, mainly due to experiencing no noticeable speed difference from chrome on the netbook compared to FF4 on the netbook.

Mimiru
April 29 2011, 10:27:34 PM
Recently switched from Chrome to FF4.

I like the FF4

Frools
April 29 2011, 10:33:50 PM
Firefox is okay (has better tools, Firebug, etc). Chrome is better for everyday browsing and is getting there w/ development tools.
tbh the chrome dev tools used to be terrible but i dont think firebug has anything that chrome doesnt anymore, features wise anyway
i still prefer the firebug ui, its more compact and easier to use imo

fwiw i switched to chrome when ff4 came out, but still use ff for work dev stuff, mostly because all my work tabs are still saved in my ff session :P

Andrea Griffin
April 29 2011, 10:37:14 PM
I was using Chrome until the new Eve forums were released, and I couldn't find a decent CSS plugin for Chrome. Switched back to FF4 with Stylish plugin, so when CCP releases that broken piece of crap again I can make it readable.

00sage00
April 29 2011, 10:46:27 PM
I've tried switching to Chrome but always return to Firefox. Firefox has better memory management (doesn't become a memory hog with multiple tabs open) and superior bookmark support (I have 1,000+ bookmarks, so that is fairly important to me). Extensions used to be a big reason why I stayed with Firefox but I've been working on cutting down on those to only the bare minimum (currently 1Password, Adblock, RSS Icon, and Stylish).

1of9
April 29 2011, 10:48:10 PM
Chrome, anyone using any thing else is either unaware or a Contrarian.

ff4 here. im crontrarian vOv

Amantus
April 29 2011, 11:04:52 PM
I'd use Chrome, but I couldn't get the tab behaviour how I wanted it, and there are still some extensions that it doesn't have which I need.
I use Firefox instead. It's nice.

orcane
April 30 2011, 12:37:13 AM
Seamonkey on my personal machine and FF on every other - used to really dislike FF's tab layout/system and a few other options but with addons I got it pretty much how I want it. Could use Seamonkey on every machine just as much since it can use (most) FF addons these days.

Loganbacca
April 30 2011, 12:51:17 AM
Used to use Firefox back when it was v1-3, switched to Chrome sometime during FF3. It did try Chrome a few times in it's early days, but it wasn't until it got some decent extension support that I stayed with it.

On the IE front, I use it a bit at work (FF and Chrome don't always play nice with the proxy) and IE9 is a significant improvement over 7/8. Still wouldn't use it at home though.

Joe Appleby
April 30 2011, 11:59:28 PM
Chrome on netbook and pc, also put it on my gf's laptop. I used FF until 3.something, but the memory leak got annoying. Tried chrome when it came out in beta, switched back to FF for a bit on the pc, went back to it a while back. Used Opera way back in the days, prior firefox being about. I don't even want to know how long ago this was. (iirc it was in the short time frame that netscape was dead, but ff not really there yet, prior 1.5)

arian snow
May 1 2011, 02:26:14 PM
Chrome(ium) because of its non existent frame in linux.

Daypitoum
May 1 2011, 02:32:25 PM
Been using Opera for years now, still the best. Mail client, IRC, torrents, turbo, speed dial, etc etc etc

Devec
May 2 2011, 12:27:04 AM
Chrome has a long way and has significantly improved since the days of having no ad blocker and such. What I don't like about it is that your tabs become miniature sized as soon as you have a lot of them open. Although it is nice and lightweight which is what I think people want out of a browser most of the time.

I personally use firefox because of its ease to modify plugin.

I tried opera but the fact that it does have some powerful tools but are not so straight forward made me lose interest fast, hell I never figured out how to get a proper ad blocking plugin/script working.

Also lolsafari.

Aea
May 2 2011, 06:45:30 AM
tbh the chrome dev tools used to be terrible but i dont think firebug has anything that chrome doesnt anymore, features wise anyway
i still prefer the firebug ui, its more compact and easier to use imo

I find myself switching a lot but preferring FF4 (just easy to work with I think, it's a convenience / familiarity thing).

JForce
May 2 2011, 07:55:52 AM
Try not to yell too much, but after installing Win7 a couple of weeks ago, I have been using IE9 to see if I like it better than FF4.

And I do.

It's great. Fast, does what I want, and unlike Chrome it's not telling the Google overlords every damn thing about me.

I like FF4, but IE9 is great.

CDLoon
May 2 2011, 09:49:33 AM
Using a Chrome based browser called Rockmelt http://www.rockmelt.com/

Someone I trust sent me an invite to download it early, and I had a play. Based on Chrome but with some nice tweaks, and I just cba to bother with others atm.

Looked at the IE9 browser for my work apps, and it seems a big improvement on previous incarnations.

Joe Appleby
May 2 2011, 10:06:29 AM
One thing I really like about Chrome (FF4 does it now as well natively) is the option to sync everything, that is not only bookmarks, but also extensions, auto fill and passwords. The latter comes with the option of using a different password additionally to the normal one to unlock the password sync.

ThonEney
May 2 2011, 04:19:42 PM
Try not to yell too much, but after installing Win7 a couple of weeks ago, I have been using IE9 to see if I like it better than FF4.

And I do.

It's great. Fast, does what I want, and unlike Chrome it's not telling the Google overlords every damn thing about me.

I like FF4, but IE9 is great.
What makes you think it's not telling microsoft the same?

Samp
May 3 2011, 12:12:50 PM
There are some things I do which don't work with FF, so I still used IE occasionaly, only used chorme (kinda) in eve and not FF4 because I never dick with a working browser. Got Skyfire and the default browser (and use both) on my Desire.

Frools
May 3 2011, 01:51:00 PM
One thing I really like about Chrome (FF4 does it now as well natively) is the option to sync everything, that is not only bookmarks, but also extensions, auto fill and passwords. The latter comes with the option of using a different password additionally to the normal one to unlock the password sync.
i wish it had a way to sync sessions so i could open up chrome on my laptop or whatever and get all the tabs i had open on my desktop automagically
there are some hax to do this but they basically involve bookmarking all your tabs and then syncing the bookmark and re-opening it which is gay :p
and also sync with android browser (how google missed this feature i have no fucking clue)

ThonEney
May 3 2011, 02:49:53 PM
i wish it had a way to sync sessions so i could open up chrome on my laptop or whatever and get all the tabs i had open on my desktop automagically
there are some hax to do this but they basically involve bookmarking all your tabs and then syncing the bookmark and re-opening it which is gay :p
and also sync with android browser (how google missed this feature i have no fucking clue)
There's probably an extension for tab syncing but yeah they should and probably will implement that.

Joe Appleby
May 3 2011, 04:08:38 PM
This, but the fact that my tabs on my pc are a bit load heavy (tweetdeck for example) and my laptop is a netbook, I doubt I would use it a lot.
No Android sync makes me rage.

Rosur
May 3 2011, 05:10:37 PM
Firefox 4 I use and reckon i will keep useing firefox.

SV
May 5 2011, 07:25:14 AM
I use FF for work (the library of plug ins/add ons make life easier)
Chrome for myself and
IE for when I have to use some antiquated web based LoLracle reports

teds
May 5 2011, 07:46:54 AM
Chrome. swapped from FF a while ago, was just getting bloated and slow. functionality pretty similar for them both but chrome just feels smoother v0v