PDA

View Full Version : The Quintessential MLP Episode?

Verite Rendition
November 16 2012, 05:44:46 AM
Since we don't have much else going on at the moment, I thought this might make for a good discussion. What does everyone think the quintessential MLP episode is?

Quintessential: Representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class

This is not what the best episode is (I suspect this crowd would pick an action episode) but rather which episode is the best representation of the series as a whole.

Evelgrivion
November 16 2012, 08:07:05 AM
Hard to choose a single episode for the job. Sisterhooves Social and Winter Wrap Up are great candidates, in my opinion.

Takon Orlani
November 16 2012, 11:42:34 AM
Winter Wrap up, return of harmony.

Laerise
November 16 2012, 02:01:09 PM
Winter Wrap up, definetly. Everypony gets to play a part, twi is the protago-pony and it culminates in a great song. :)

theBlind
November 16 2012, 03:46:56 PM
Forthing Winter Wrap Up.

Nu11u5
November 16 2012, 04:07:47 PM
If our criteria are "involves everyone", "has a decent song", and "leans towards slice-of-life" the list is pretty short.

I'll plus-one 'Winter Wrap Up', but also add 'Suited for Success'.

Sakura Nihil
November 16 2012, 08:46:42 PM
Winter Wrap Up is probably the best example, but a couple of others are possibilities:

Swarm of the Century
Suited for Success
Feeling Pinkie Keen
Party of One
The Best Night Ever
The Last Roundup
A Canterlot Wedding

By the way, Verite's new avatar makes me:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IUevrYJmYww/TnYwQGPksFI/AAAAAAAAABs/WNvNZNLegcA/s320/f111129_Fluttershy+grin.jpg

Mortalitis
November 16 2012, 09:12:28 PM
+1 Winter Wrap Up. As already said, it has everything, however Party of one however does show the slight 'mature' undertone. Pinkie's meltdown is quite extreme when compared to the shows setting.

Verite Rendition
November 16 2012, 10:26:13 PM
So it's interesting that everyone is saying Winter Wrap Up. I must admit that was the specific episode that made me think of this question. I didn't think everyone would be on the same page though.

Ophichius
November 16 2012, 10:32:07 PM
I would actually posit Ticket Master or Suited for Success. Ticket Master set the tone, that it wasn't just going to be 'We all magically get along together', and really established character, motivation, and personality for all the mane 6. Only thing it's missing is a musical number.

-O

theBlind
November 17 2012, 03:19:36 PM
Good argument for Ticket Master there.
However what I find missing from that one is an external problem to overcome.
So Ticket Master works well for internal development but just as Winter Wrap Up lacks some part of the whole.

Currently thinking about Dragonshy.

Nordstern
November 19 2012, 09:04:34 PM
Winter Wrap-Up had a great song, but overall, I still have to say Sisterhooves Social was the best. If Ashleigh Ball hadn't hammed up her performance in Read It And Weep, I'd say that was a close second.

Aedeline
October 5 2015, 08:24:35 PM
A bit of archeology here, but with your pony avatar i asked myself what's that. So i just finished to watch Winter wrap up, and it's awesome. I dunno if i have to hate you all for making me love a little girl cartoon, or thank you kindly for that.

Nordstern
October 5 2015, 11:10:20 PM
Holy necro...

Just be careful where you mention it. This subforum is a safe haven, the others...not so much.

Evelgrivion
October 6 2015, 12:44:47 AM
A bit of archeology here, but with your pony avatar i asked myself what's that. So i just finished to watch Winter wrap up, and it's awesome. I dunno if i have to hate you all for making me love a little girl cartoon, or thank you kindly for that.

You're welcome :D

Mortalitis
October 6 2015, 04:09:11 PM
There is a reason this is known as the pony ghetto...

Nu11u5
October 11 2015, 11:15:26 PM

Hey, fresh blood!

If you decide to stick with the show you may be interested to know that the stories sort of grow with the (intended) audience, tackling more complex personal and social issues and heavier adventure arcs. There are still a few people that prefer the charming simpleness of the early episodes, but at least imho it's all good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2IQAv4GSo