PDA

View Full Version : Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter remake)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Chelmar
November 6 2012, 06:25:24 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Now I'm not old enough to remember ye olde days of Commodore 64 and the like, but since supposedly Eve Online is pretty much Elite Online (with Quafe, ecm, and monocles), this might be cool to check out. Has anyone here played Elite? What was it like? etc.

Mona
November 6 2012, 06:38:49 AM
Like Frontier. :)

Armag3ddon
November 6 2012, 06:57:28 AM
Never thought I would see this day.

sent from who actualy cares.

RazoR
November 6 2012, 06:58:34 AM
e1337: D4NG3R0U5

At least it's not re- (tribution, velation, etc).

Omega Supreme
November 6 2012, 07:11:19 AM

Now I'm not old enough to remember ye olde days of Commodore 64 and the like, but since supposedly Eve Online is pretty much Elite Online (with Quafe, ecm, and monocles), this might be cool to check out. Has anyone here played Elite? What was it like? etc.

Long time Elite series player here, let me give you my take:

Imagine EVE without the multiplayer. That was Elite, EVE basically is an MMO realization. Both the CEO of CCP and Braben have agreed EVE is a spiritual successor.

Also Frontier First Encounters was the best, but buggy as shit. You guys think Skyrim/VTMB were bad on release with bugs? FFE pioneered that shit.

Warpath
November 6 2012, 07:24:05 AM

never got to play the original, but played the second game for most of my time at secondary school. (probably explains my exam results...) still probably one of the best games I have ever played apart from the annoying bug where after several weeks of playing and saving the game. the saved game files would corrupt and lose all of the data :x

Oh and interview here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

pr0lurker
November 6 2012, 07:27:52 AM
I was actually frothing at the mouth as I read the article off El Reg.... he picked the wrong time of the year for a pledge though

RazoR
November 6 2012, 07:28:08 AM
So if EVE is multiplayer Elite and X3 is offline EVE then X series is the spiritual successor, no?

pr0lurker
November 6 2012, 07:32:10 AM
Eve is nothing like Elite, I think Vendetta Online (http://vendetta-online.com/) is closer to what Elite was. I could never get into VO though....

Warpath
November 6 2012, 07:33:47 AM
So if EVE is multiplayer Elite and X3 is offline EVE then X series is the spiritual successor, no?

He's talking about making this not only offline, but also where you can play with friends over the web as well so a little of both? Personally I would like to see an elite mmo with updated versions of the physics they had back then. something eve lacks really?

Torashuu
November 6 2012, 08:12:26 AM
Nice, but a bit poorly timed after Chris Roberts is trying to nab everyones money. Still 60 days on the kickstarter so I guess he's hoping to land some peoples holiday bonus/next paycheck.

Evil Synns
November 6 2012, 08:34:15 AM
Elite on a BBC Micro player here! Vector Graphics.. and I remember sitting watching the revolving space stations like they were the most amazing thing I ever seen! (Which they were at the time).

Rotating to dock... NOT FUN - first thing you always bought was a docking system.
Coming out of warp half way to get a fight v some serious hard aliens.

It was similar to eve, you had police, you traded, you killed NPC's. There was no internet back then, so single player.
Saving up to buy a nice ship - ship died - you lost it.

It was the game that really started the genre.

Evil Synns
November 6 2012, 08:39:11 AM
Just had a look at the kickstarter itself...

OMG I smell a con here

1.25 Million required - Already has 2 x 5k pledges.

No video, no artist drawings.. and they expect March 2014 delivery.

So its not really to kickstart a project, but kickstart a games studio! Although they are still in production of other games...

All in all, looks like shittest kickstart plea I've seen.

Durzel
November 6 2012, 08:47:21 AM
I doubt it's a con, though the BBC News article on this talks about the project already being in development (which given an est March 2014 release date means it's probably been in development some time)

I always assumed Kickstarters were designed to get projects off the ground. If they're already committed to making it, then what is £1.25m actually funding?

pr0lurker
November 6 2012, 09:05:38 AM
He's had 20 years to make the definitive Elite, I hope he finally does it but I am not convinced he will.... in the meantime - Oolite (http://www.oolite.org/)

Torashuu
November 6 2012, 09:13:47 AM

OMG I smell a con here

So its not really to kickstart a project, but kickstart a games studio! Although they are still in production of other games...

Tbh some concept art and a pitch video are about the easiest and cheapest way to spice up a Kickstarter page. So while it does appear suprising they have none, throwing some concept art on the page won't suddenly make the project have better chances. If anything a video of the tech they claim they have would be a better way to show they stand good chances.

Evil Synns
November 6 2012, 09:20:02 AM

OMG I smell a con here

Tbh some concept art and a pitch video are about the easiest and cheapest way to spice up a Kickstarter page. So while it does appear suprising they have none, throwing some concept art on the page won't suddenly make the project have better chances. If anything a video of the tech they claim they have would be a better way to show they stand good chances.

Con is maybe too harsh. But I've never seen a KS with such a big WARNING... its totally playing on who he is, and what he has done.

As someone contemplating a KS with my company (see KS thread) I would hate for a bad taste to arrive from something this big, if it fails to deliver.

Sandzibar
November 6 2012, 09:36:11 AM
Cant help but feel that this wont work out well. I loved Elite (played it on a beeb too), but I dont think Braben can make something as good as Elite was in its day.

Much like how George Lucas not only doesnt make good films now - but is seemingly dedicated to ruining the memory of the good stuff he once was able to produce.

firefoxx80
November 6 2012, 09:45:26 AM
I think 1.25m is a little excessive, especially as there are no screenshots, concept art, etc. But on the other hand, it is Braben and not some random company who just owns the rights.

(I thought the rights of Elite were a problem in themselves? Didn't the other bloke own them?)

Pledged a ton.

Warpath
November 6 2012, 09:50:44 AM
I think 1.25m is a little excessive, especially as there are no screenshots, concept art, etc. But on the other hand, it is Braben and not some random company who just owns the rights.

(I thought the rights of Elite were a problem in themselves? Didn't the other bloke own them?)

Pledged a ton.

Other bloke was Ian Bell, think they patched up their differences? and iirc you can download the old versions of Elite from Ian Bells site?

Trindermon
November 6 2012, 09:58:05 AM
So if EVE is multiplayer Elite and X3 is offline EVE then X series is the spiritual successor, no? This is probably more acurate. EvE is Elite like in that its freeform, game play is nothing like Elite.

All tho Xseries is likly flying a camera in space, not a ship.

Eve is nothing like Elite, I think Vendetta Online (http://vendetta-online.com/) is closer to what Elite was. I could never get into VO though....

this is fair ish :) Vendetta is actaully ok once you get out of the rookie ships. I never stuck with it for more than 2 months at a time tho.

Torashuu
November 6 2012, 09:59:39 AM
Con is maybe too harsh. But I've never seen a KS with such a big WARNING... its totally playing on who he is, and what he has done.

As someone contemplating a KS with my company (see KS thread) I would hate for a bad taste to arrive from something this big, if it fails to deliver.

I agree its a bit vague in the same sense of old school rpg kickstarter. Even though it appears he has a better idea where he wants to go, the fact he mentions they have been starting work on this before and didn't continue puts me off.

pr0lurker
November 6 2012, 10:28:44 AM
I last looked at the Kickstarter page a few hours ago and it's more than doubled it's target to £120K ($191K). If the momentum stays I cannot see him not getting the funds.

Daneel Trevize
November 6 2012, 10:37:52 AM
Another BBC article hitting the top stories?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20165344

balistic void
November 6 2012, 11:00:13 AM
Braben's games company has 285 employees, WTF is he on Kickstarter for?

(still mad coz he wouldn't give me job)

Rivqua
November 6 2012, 11:13:37 AM
Braben's games company has 285 employees, WTF is he on Kickstarter for?

(still mad coz he wouldn't give me job)

As they said, they are judging interest :-) If they get enough (meet the KS goal), they commit to making it.

Sirial Soulfly
November 6 2012, 11:15:59 AM
Nice that Braben promises again to make a new Elite but maybe he should have been making some progress before kick starting it. A showcase would be good, some ship designs maybe. Anything really.

Bombcrater
November 6 2012, 11:48:56 AM
I'm on two minds here. Absolutely loved Frontier, played it to death, but Braben's been muttering about an Elite/Frontier remake for years without anything coming of it and the complete lack of anything on the Kickstarter page to prove he's actually done any work on this game is not reassuring. Plus I do recall hearing something about his company having financial issues and having to lay people off.

Jeeves
November 6 2012, 12:34:34 PM
Think I'll not bother with this one, if it gets made awesome but I'm not holding my breath nor parting with my cash, already balls deep in star citizen.

firefoxx80
November 6 2012, 12:55:20 PM
I sponsored both tbh. Hopefully one of them will come good.

Rodj Blake
November 6 2012, 12:57:46 PM
The original BBC version of Elite must rank not only as one of the greatest games ever produced, but also as one of the the most efficient uses of computing resources ever.

Jeeves
November 6 2012, 01:08:13 PM
The original BBC version of Elite must rank not only as one of the greatest games ever produced, but also as one of the the most efficient uses of computing resources ever.

This is a secret, nobody knows it. :psyduck:

FatFreddy
November 6 2012, 01:29:02 PM
I like their listing of games they worked on at the end of the kickstarter description...I read it and went "uuuh...ooookaaaaaay...maybe you guys should have left that out".

And their backer bonuses are quite bad as well.

Torashuu
November 6 2012, 02:18:08 PM
Compared to this chris roberts pitch seems like a rock solid sensible deal.

Dratic
November 6 2012, 02:39:14 PM
Bad pitch but wouldn't be surprised if it makes silly money. It should have at least had some concept art or something.

Sirial Soulfly
November 6 2012, 02:45:32 PM
Bad pitch but wouldn't be surprised if it makes silly money. It should have at least had some concept art or something.

There is 1 picture here http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

Even though I am somewhat skeptical of Braben after all these years I certainly hope this game will get made.There are never enough space sims for my taste.

Dratic
November 6 2012, 02:50:53 PM
Yeap for me its mainly been the egosoft games since freelancer and there needed to be something new. In before a new homeworld kickstarter.

Mona
November 6 2012, 03:00:55 PM

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014628/Classic-Game-Postmortem

Lallante
November 6 2012, 04:25:25 PM
Its already at like 250k, this will get full funding within a couple of days I'd have guessed. Go early to get limited packages.

Hels
November 6 2012, 04:26:10 PM
I'll put in after it reaches the goal. Maybe.

Mythrantar
November 6 2012, 04:48:28 PM
Very interested, but it is not using amazon to fund the pledges. It's asking for direct CC info. Not sure I want to do that.

Evil Synns
November 6 2012, 05:47:55 PM
Very interested, but it is not using amazin to fund the pledges. It's asking for direct CC info. Not sure I want to do that.

The UK Version doesn't use amazon.. Its using Kickstarters "OWN" package.. I guess to cut down on their costs, as we brits don't like amazon.. (its only the number 1 retailer).. fooking idiots.

Mona
November 6 2012, 06:17:21 PM
Cant help but feel that this wont work out well. I loved Elite (played it on a beeb too),

Never played Elite (only read about it in my first game magazine, but Frontier was the game... that made hate all DRM.

Cant
but I dont think Braben can make something as good as Elite was in its day.

Much like how George Lucas not only doesnt make good films now - but is seemingly dedicated to ruining the memory of the good stuff he once was able to produce.

He is good thinking neat ideas, but he has to have people to put him straight and refine those ideas into something watchable. Only when he gained full control over films he produced turds known as prequels.

Braben on the other hand had total control over what he wanted to achieve with Elite.

But it was 30 years ago, his www lists mostly kiddie games, so it's rather moot point.

Tailn
November 6 2012, 11:23:43 PM
People who are pointing out that he has a number of times talked about making elite 4 and using that to say that it is a pipe dream, don't you think that perhaps the reason he was never able to make it before is the same reason that chris roberts has gone through kickstarter for what is a AAA game, that no publisher has been interested in space sims so actually getting funds has never been possible. Many things have happened now pc gaming has been getting good press, self funded and low cost indy games have shown there is a massive market and kick starter has provided a great medium to get starting cash and prove to investors (not publishers but people who do not know how to judge the market) that there are people out here willing to pay for good space games.

With a 2 month campaign covering Christmas and with the coverage on the BBC and the reg etc. you will see a lot of middle aged men getting a pledge given to them as Christmas presents, they are all right now boring their wife's and kids to death with tales of their childhood spent on elite. Also his design of the pledge levels is spot on giving 2nd round beta invites at £50 full beta at £100 and alpha at £200 those are some serious incentives, especially as many people who played elite as children will be management today with likely a decent disposable income.

Btw I have pledged, here and for star citizen. 2014 has the chance to be the best year for computer gaming ever.

Ben Derindar
November 6 2012, 11:39:43 PM
I played the original on BBC, C64, Amiga, Archimedes and PC. Great times, but...

I'm on two minds here. Absolutely loved Frontier, played it to death, but Braben's been muttering about an Elite/Frontier remake for years without anything coming of it and the complete lack of anything on the Kickstarter page to prove he's actually done any work on this game is not reassuring.

This. Will wait and see before getting too excited just yet.

Tailn
November 7 2012, 12:34:46 AM

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014628/Classic-Game-Postmortem

Interesting that this was gdc 2011 in the last few seconds he is asked if elite 4 was still on the drawing board, the answer was after a large pause "yes,... it would be a tragedy for it not to be". from how I take his body language it seems to say that he actually knew something then and saying that was letting out a valuable piece of information, especially when looking back to how he has responded previously responded to that question.
I wonder how much influence Chris Roberts activity has been and if they have made announcements earlier then they were expecting to.

I played the original on BBC, C64, Amiga, Archimedes and PC. Great times, but...

I'm on two minds here. Absolutely loved Frontier, played it to death, but Braben's been muttering about an Elite/Frontier remake for years without anything coming of it and the complete lack of anything on the Kickstarter page to prove he's actually done any work on this game is not reassuring.

This. Will wait and see before getting too excited just yet.

This as well, I am more excited by star citizen right now 3/5 monitors have star citizen related wall paper elite is only 1/5, but not enough to be unhopeful.

Varcaus
November 7 2012, 01:14:57 AM
3/5

What do you even do with all 5?

balistic void
November 7 2012, 08:57:15 AM
3/5

He uses them to display static images evidently.

Tailn
November 7 2012, 11:04:13 AM
3/5

He uses them to display static images evidently.

Yup right now that is pretty much it :( I blame eve though for my monitor addiction though 3 screens for clients 2 split 50/50 1 full screen, 1 monitor for comms (IRC / TS etc.) and the last one for the stuff I was actually doing while playing eve.

But seriously on an eve forum you wonder why people may have more than a sensible amount of monitors?

Varcaus
November 7 2012, 02:05:26 PM
Not really just I can see two or three but not 5.

Daneel Trevize
November 7 2012, 08:27:27 PM
http://eve.lanu.nl/mbpr-eve1.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/khromtor/

Warpath
November 8 2012, 07:44:25 PM
Pledges seem to have slowed down quite a bit?

TheManFromDelmonte
November 8 2012, 09:51:27 PM
Pledges seem to have slowed down quite a bit?

Thank god, that pitch is just taking the piss.

Sirial Soulfly
November 8 2012, 10:14:54 PM
David Braben left a message a while back:

"New material (including video) going up tomorrow..."

This guy is a master at communication.

Sirial Soulfly
November 9 2012, 02:00:22 PM
Finally an update from Braben. He put up a 3 minute video and some concept art which did not convince me to put money into the project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous?ref=live

Sandzibar
November 9 2012, 03:36:39 PM
Couldnt see the video... concept renders with cobra mk3 made me all misty eyed though :(

Sirial Soulfly
November 9 2012, 06:18:34 PM
Also interesting a 2 man indie team made a space game called Dangerous and are now slightly unhappy with the name Elite: Dangerous.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/12x70l/weve_been_developing_our_indie_space_game/

Tailn
November 12 2012, 10:14:34 AM
I really liked the ship design styles in that video, seems to be showing that they are focusing on quite a detailed ship improvement system, but little different than a reimage (with multiplayer) of elite. To be honest if that is all then I would be exceedingly happy.

Winged Nazgul
November 12 2012, 02:51:26 PM
There better be a docking computer that plays the Blue Danube Waltz is all I'm saying.

Trindermon
November 13 2012, 07:31:36 AM
going to pledge for this, would much rather support David Braben than Roberts :-) really hope that he gets funded.

Sirial Soulfly
November 13 2012, 11:26:14 AM
going to pledge for this, would much rather support David Braben than Roberts :-) really hope that he gets funded.

But why ? Roberts kickstarter is kicking ass and taking names. Braben seems afraid to talk to his fans.

Trindermon
November 13 2012, 11:35:01 AM

But why ? Roberts kickstarter is kicking ass and taking names. Braben seems afraid to talk to his fans.

Chris Roberts has always been good at talking. At the start of this project announcement he illuded to how Freelancer was not the game he wanted it to be due to publisher pressure... Cue army of roberts fans blaming microsoft for freelancers limited nature. The truth is that microsoft gave Roberts (Digital Anvil) 6 years to make freelancer.

He has ALWAYS been good at talking abou what he is going to do, the question is can he deliver without excuses and broken promises.
Braben on the other hand as far as i am aware tends only to speak when he has something to say that he knows he can deliver on.

Sirial Soulfly
November 13 2012, 12:16:37 PM
It will be interesting to see how both games develop over the next two years. And I would like to play both.
In my opinion Braben who has worked on and off on elite IV the last 12 years has less to show for compared to what Roberts has created in the last year. Combined with the fact he has trouble with public relations and seemingly has a hard time nursing his kickstarter on a daily basis I really wonder if Elite IV will ever go past the vaporware status it has had for so long now.

Trindermon
November 13 2012, 12:32:06 PM
It will be interesting to see how both games develop over the next two years. And I would like to play both.
In my opinion Braben who has worked on and off on elite IV the last 12 years has less to show for compared to what Roberts has created in the last year. Combined with the fact he has trouble with public relations and seemingly has a hard time nursing his kickstarter on a daily basis I really wonder if Elite IV will ever go past the vaporware status it has had for so long now.

Dont get me wrong, i dont think Braben will be supported enought to get it off the ground, its just more the game id personally want to play, and i am a bit biased against Roberts because i think he is a dreamer.

Mona
November 13 2012, 01:07:29 PM
He's not the developer we want, but developer we need.

Tailn
November 13 2012, 01:10:31 PM

Dont get me wrong, i dont think Braben will be supported enought to get it off the ground, its just more the game id personally want to play, and i am a bit biased against Roberts because i think he is a dreamer.

Very unfortunately this, pretty obvious braben does not like hype all he talks about is stuff that has been done never what may be, partially the reason elite 4 has never got of the ground. I am thinking he needs a mouthy cohort to get things moving and don't see that happening.
Still I would willingly give money with out return in the hope of seeing even the small hint of what he has so far hinted at.

Mind you 8 days and already 35% based on almost nothing.

Evil Synns
November 14 2012, 09:45:38 AM

Very unfortunately this, pretty obvious braben does not like hype all he talks about is stuff that has been done never what may be, partially the reason elite 4 has never got of the ground. I am thinking he needs a mouthy cohort to get things moving and don't see that happening.
Still I would willingly give money with out return in the hope of seeing even the small hint of what he has so far hinted at.

Mind you 8 days and already 35% based on almost nothing.

I actually see it as 8 days and the money drying up. Its a shit pitch that sells him not the game, great they've added a video but its not much ... A game like this should be rocking the money in, but really in the past couple of days nothing much has moved.

Dratic
November 14 2012, 02:21:51 PM
It won't move that much unless they put more effort into it. Doublefine adventure and all the other mega bucks campaigns did so much more and better reward tiers.

pr0lurker
November 14 2012, 10:15:11 PM
458k and 51 days to go..... looking good so far. I still feel they chose the wrong time of the year to do this.... I'll throw a tenner at it after New Year... maybe

Xiang Jiao
November 15 2012, 05:30:42 AM
It's exciting that other icons of the sci-fi simulation game industry are jumping on the KS bandwagon, but I will also adopt a wait and see attitude. I don't have the advantage of having played the original. I was five and playing Donkey Kong and Q-bert in the arcades when this game came out. I can't make heads or tails of what to expect out of this. They probably should have waited until they had a demo to present to present this to KS.

Paradox
November 15 2012, 07:40:29 AM
Ohh. I dunno. I'm too broke to pledge anyway. I would love to see another Elite game but it would be like kickstarting Duke Nukem Forever (assuming it never came out) no-one would pledge because no-one would believe that you could actually release it.

Doesn't help that Braben seems to actively oppose getting it funded too.

Tailn
November 15 2012, 07:56:32 PM
I am liking the could tech they have therein the new video for when you are scooping fuel from gas giants.

Looks like they are also going with the opt-in on pvp aspects for multi-player and a more co-op style approach to online play.

Jack bubu
November 24 2012, 04:08:40 PM
Finally ingame footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P5JYRyhxYhI

Helfix
November 24 2012, 04:18:09 PM
Well damn thats pretty nice

Jack bubu
November 24 2012, 04:20:29 PM
there is also another one about procedual generation from a few days ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk&feature=channel&list=UL

somehow i have more confidence in this to deliver the promised features then in star citizen, his engine seems alot better suited for this then the cryengine 3

Isyel
November 24 2012, 04:27:22 PM
Both will disappoint a lot of people, but this one will disappoint the most, just because it's actually related to Elite, and nothing beats the power of nostalgia stupidity.

I pledged to Star Citizen, feels like more of a game i want, and somehow it feels like it will work better. least they have more to show already and it looks really well thought out.

Paradox
November 24 2012, 04:42:49 PM
Good to see that he's finally releasing videos and talking about the game at last.

I'll pledge to this after Christmas I think.

Helfix
November 24 2012, 06:38:25 PM
Good to see that he's finally releasing videos and talking about the game at last.

I'll pledge to this after Christmas I think.

Same here, I didn't pledge because there was nothing really shown and he banked on the nostalgia :|

Xiang Jiao
November 24 2012, 06:45:43 PM
somehow i have more confidence in this to deliver the promised features then in star citizen, his engine seems alot better suited for this then the cryengine 3

Opt-in PvP destroys the whole concept of this game, so Star Citizen will remain the only real choice.

Tailn
November 24 2012, 09:05:01 PM

Opt-in PvP destroys the whole concept of this game, so Star Citizen will remain the only real choice.

He does say that servers will have rules that are chosen, i wonder if this means private servers only or optionally?

Sirial Soulfly
November 24 2012, 09:24:41 PM
Backed this. After that last video I thought fuck it. It is a space sim of which we never have enough.

Meths
November 24 2012, 10:28:08 PM
Played the original Elite on the Amstrad ( Yes im old ) then the Atari ST and Amiga.

Will be pledging now after seeing that new vid. Never played Wing Commander so fuck Star Citizen.

Warpath
December 13 2012, 07:50:01 AM
New dev diary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6gMbLjUjs1w

Xiang Jiao
December 13 2012, 05:49:21 PM
The dogfighting looks really nice there but where are the reticules? Tthey are playing entirely without a battle HUD.

Warpath
December 13 2012, 05:52:47 PM
It's not even in alpha yet iirc? so still early days?

dzajic
December 13 2012, 06:08:00 PM
How do they play without UI? And on gamepads.
Or maybe all 3 displays were running just replays and they just pretend to play.
Much faster "bullets" than in Star Citizen videos. Much worse graphics. Combat looks more dynamic. (Roberts brothers always hated missiles)
They still have a huge amount of money left to secure funding and not that much time left.

Even if they do manage to fund it, I don't see place on the market for both Star Citizen and Elite 4. Btw, is Infinity dead, site looks up but no updates sine 2008. And all of them will/would compete with Important Internet Spaceships.

Mona
December 13 2012, 06:14:26 PM
SC videos looks like in slow motion.

Warpath
December 13 2012, 06:16:59 PM
Btw, is Infinity dead, site looks up but no updates sine 2008.

Last i heard with infinity was that he was slowing down on the game dev, and had gone into some form of partnership with someone else and was trying to sell/license the engine to other groups/ devs?

Xiang Jiao
December 13 2012, 06:19:26 PM
Even if they do manage to fund it, I don't see place on the market for both Star Citizen and Elite 4. Btw, is Infinity dead, site looks up but no updates sine 2008. And all of them will/would compete with Important Internet Spaceships.

You are probably right that there will be too much competition in an already small sector of the gamer market. I already tossed $60 at RSI so it's on the other space nerds out there to fund this Elite offering. How many Pounds short are they?

Mona
December 13 2012, 06:22:02 PM
522 694

Jack bubu
December 14 2012, 05:59:02 AM
Btw, is Infinity dead, site looks up but no updates sine 2008.

Last i heard with infinity was that he was slowing down on the game dev, and had gone into some form of partnership with someone else and was trying to sell/license the engine to other groups/ devs?
there actually was news last month that the infinity devs want to go fulltime on it next year and probably do a kickstarter.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=120&Itemid=26

Skeptic
December 14 2012, 11:14:19 AM
Looking doubtful that this will reach its target which on one hand is disappointing as I would have loved to play this game, on the other hand I have the feeling that Elite perhaps had its day and they made a huge error of judgement launching this at the same time as the SC campaign.

Tailn
December 14 2012, 12:31:43 PM
How do they play without UI? And on gamepads.
Or maybe all 3 displays were running just replays and they just pretend to play.
Much faster "bullets" than in Star Citizen videos. Much worse graphics. Combat looks more dynamic. (Roberts brothers always hated missiles)
They still have a huge amount of money left to secure funding and not that much time left.

Plenty of space on the market for both, it is only small now because there is nothing other than the Hardcore X series, mass effect has plenty of players this is more space ship and not as much character but it is also more action (both elite 4 and star citizen).
You cant compare elite 4 and star citizen atm, star citizen has been focusing on space ships and graphics and that's where they are right now lacking in the universe elite is the other way, they have been working on procedural generation etc, their world building is quite far ahed the space flying portion is the next 2 years work.

Star citizen will be an action game with exploration and RP tacked on, elite 4 is an Exploration / RPG game with combat.

Max Teranous
December 14 2012, 12:48:01 PM
More importantly the Elite kickstarter has been run very badly in comparison to star citizen, it was simply not ready to goto kickstarter but they threw it up there without so much as a video for days. Essentially for the work they put into the kickstarter they do not deserve it to be funded TBH.

Max 8-)

Dratic
December 14 2012, 01:17:14 PM
Yup the initial pitch was terrible and despite the videos not as if they really really wanted to make it. Even with the SC kickstarter i think it could have got alot more money on day 1 than it has as first impressions do kinda count with kickstarter. Lack of effort and wanting tons of money didn't impress me and this game is the sort of thing i'd chuck money at.

Trindermon
December 14 2012, 02:44:55 PM
More importantly the Elite kickstarter has been run very badly in comparison to star citizen, it was simply not ready to goto kickstarter but they threw it up there without so much as a video for days. Essentially for the work they put into the kickstarter they do not deserve it to be funded TBH.

Max 8-)

Suppose thats fair, even if it is dissapointing given how much money people have thrown at pipedream lying shit roberts :(.

Warpath
December 14 2012, 04:10:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0Gcl7iUM8

Fatyn
December 14 2012, 04:54:14 PM
I'm not impressed by this video, although I was a huge Elite fan. Too much fluff, not enough focus on core gameplay elements that might make or break the game. Braben looks to me like he's held on to the dream too long.

Trindermon
December 14 2012, 05:49:34 PM
I'm not impressed by this video, although I was a huge Elite fan. Too much fluff, not enough focus on core gameplay elements that might make or break the game. Braben looks to me like he's held on to the dream too long.

You need Braben to tell you what the core game play elements for a elite game are? really? Fly around, find ways to make money, get more stuff. Shoot things, that clearer?

Evil Synns
December 15 2012, 07:34:03 AM
As people have said, the initial pitch was woeful. Having trawled some Kickstarter forums there is also a large degree of "Why pay 1M quid, which is 1.5M dollars to a large company who couldn't be arsed to get their shit together for launch"... which is great for me!

Xiang Jiao
December 15 2012, 07:32:24 PM
It's a shame Braben is trudging towards his pledge goal while Roberts simply blasted it out of the water. The game looks very much like Star Citizen but the beta will be starting a full 18 months before Star Citizen's. That's a lot of time to capture a fan base. Hopefully, Braben can pull it off.

Tailn
December 16 2012, 11:52:37 AM
I thought alpha for star citizen was 12 mths and Beta 18mths, is elite 4 beta in the next couple of months?

Bombcrater
December 16 2012, 02:54:56 PM
Gave in and finally pledged some cash. Braben deserves a chance to do this, but I'm half convinced the poor initial presentation on KS and bad timing are going to doom it.

Lallante
December 16 2012, 03:13:56 PM
Meh I feel that this needs to be punished and fail to encourage other developers to run their kickstarter campaign properly. You shouldn't be able to raise 1.25m with a campaign this shitly organised/run.

Nyx Opet
December 16 2012, 07:10:20 PM
I'm kinda more interested in Infinity than either Elite or Star Citizen, but Elite's kickstarter is rather lackluster tbh.

Xiang Jiao
December 16 2012, 07:14:02 PM
I thought alpha for star citizen was 12 mths and Beta 18mths, is elite 4 beta in the next couple of months?

There was a video in the SC thread of an interview with the lead producer, who said that SC beta wouldn't be until June 2015 (if I understood him correctly). We will have the single player game six months before that, however.

Hels
December 16 2012, 10:28:14 PM

There was a video in the SC thread of an interview with the lead producer, who said that SC beta wouldn't be until June 2015 (if I understood him correctly). We will have the single player game six months before that, however.

News to me.

Per the campaign:
12 Months - Nov/Dec 13 - Alpha, just combat death match
18 Months - May/Jun 14 - Beta, I imagine for star citizen and sq42
24 Months - Nov/Dec 14 - Sq42 release
30 Months - May/June 15 - SC release

Helfix
December 17 2012, 01:08:17 AM

News to me.

Per the campaign:
12 Months - Nov/Dec 13 - Alpha, just combat death match
18 Months - May/Jun 14 - Beta, I imagine for star citizen and sq42
24 Months - Nov/Dec 14 - Sq42 release
30 Months - May/June 15 - SC release

This is pretty much the release time scale that has been given to everyone by the SC dev team.

Xiang Jiao
December 17 2012, 01:20:24 AM
Fuck if I know what's going on, then. It's still a long way out at any rate.

Winged Nazgul
December 17 2012, 03:04:33 PM
Even if you've never played Elite or aren't interested in a remake, you might want to throw some money at them since Braben is one of the guys responsible for bringing the Raspberry Pi into existence.

TheManFromDelmonte
December 17 2012, 05:50:37 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-17-layoffs-at-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier

Last week 14 of the 233 staff at the Cambridge-based studio were let go across a number of disciplines, including art, animation and audio.

Confirming the layoffs to Eurogamer today, Frontier managing director David Walsh said they were the result of “the changing mix of skills requirements for our current and future projects”, which, he insisted, "remain healthy".

Eurogamer understands the affected staff were told they were being let go at 6pm on Friday 14th December - 11 days before Christmas.

Classy

Xiang Jiao
December 17 2012, 06:05:18 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-17-layoffs-at-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier

Last week 14 of the 233 staff at the Cambridge-based studio were let go across a number of disciplines, including art, animation and audio.

Confirming the layoffs to Eurogamer today, Frontier managing director David Walsh said they were the result of “the changing mix of skills requirements for our current and future projects”, which, he insisted, "remain healthy".

Eurogamer understands the affected staff were told they were being let go at 6pm on Friday 14th December - 11 days before Christmas.

Classy

It's actually very common to get laid off two weeks before Christmas. They want to get you off the books by the new year so it is the perfect time to do it. Some companies have their annual employee evaluations in December to coincide with the end of the calendar year. It usually doesn't sit well with employees, though. Elite is 62% funded so let's see if they have the momentum to carry them to the goal. :popcorn:

Paradox
December 17 2012, 06:09:41 PM
I'll still back them in the new year when I have some money.

sahtila
December 18 2012, 11:19:40 AM
Not trusting Braben, he already failed with Elite 2 and 3 (Frontiers). Also lack of anything to show so far is weak, especially coming from real game studio with 200 staff.
PS played original Elite with Spectravideo MSX 738, can I get Really Really Old Bitter Vet Badge

Warpath
December 18 2012, 04:53:47 PM
What was wrong with elite 2 (frontier) apart from the save file corruption bug?

Mona
December 18 2012, 11:21:03 PM
450k and 16 days. It will be exciting finish. Not SC exciting, but still.

Max Teranous
December 19 2012, 10:00:37 AM

Classy

It's actually very common to get laid off two weeks before Christmas. They want to get you off the books by the new year so it is the perfect time to do it. Some companies have their annual employee evaluations in December to coincide with the end of the calendar year. It usually doesn't sit well with employees, though. Elite is 62% funded so let's see if they have the momentum to carry them to the goal. :popcorn:

Indeed, this is the first Christmas in 4 years we've not got rid of a few contractors at my work.

Max 8-)

Warpath
December 19 2012, 04:58:04 PM
New teaser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGHM6wu1WY4

TheManFromDelmonte
December 19 2012, 09:01:05 PM
Indeed, this is the first Christmas in 4 years we've not got rid of a few contractors at my work.

I've only seen it happen just before April, the new tax year. Not sure why people would do it for calendar years?

Evil Synns
December 19 2012, 09:26:50 PM

I've only seen it happen just before April, the new tax year. Not sure why people would do it for calendar years?

Tax year and Business years are two very different things... Everyone in the UK has a tax year ending end of March, but not every business puts in their accounts in March. Two very different things.

TheManFromDelmonte
December 19 2012, 10:50:47 PM
I have learned something, thanks. I guess I just always worked for places that do.

Meths
December 22 2012, 03:48:12 PM
New update

Here are the new pledge tiers:

(-) Default: Start in a safe Federal core system with a Sidewinder ship, single pulse laser and 100 CR (randomised start system choice for multiplayer reasons)**

£32 Imperial Bounty Hunter: Have the option to start in an Imperial Colony with an Imperial Eagle Mk II Fighter with upgraded weapons and shields and 1,000 CR (randomised start system choice for multiplayer reasons)** plus all rewards above.

£37 Federal Trader: Have the option to start in a Federal border system with a basic Cobra Mk III loaded with cargo worth 1,000 CR and 1,000 CR in cash.(randomised system choice for multiplayer reasons)** plus all rewards above.

£42 Pirate: Have the option to start in an anarchic Frontier system with a stolen but upgraded Cobra Mk III and only 100 CR.(randomised system choice for multiplayer reasons)** plus all rewards above.

£55 Independent Trader: Have the option to start in the Lave system with a basic Cobra Mk III and only 100 CR** plus all rewards above.

£70 Explorer: Have the option to start on the edge of explored space with a long range version of the Cobra Mk III and 3,000 CR (randomised system choice for multiplayer reasons)** plus all rewards above.

£85 Kickstarter Special: Have the option to start in the founder's world with any starter ship and 4,000 CR. Note: any Kickstarter decal-carrier will be able to travel to this secret system in gameplay** plus all rewards above.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous/posts

Warpath
December 26 2012, 07:13:39 AM
Needs to find 300k in 9 days, wondering how much they received via paypal as this doesn't count towards the end amount iirc?

Warpath
December 28 2012, 01:40:55 PM
Trading dev diary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFECllA71qc

Warpath
December 28 2012, 02:07:13 PM
Another related kickstarter project here by a BBC click presenter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/katerussell/mostly-harmless-an-elite-dangerous-novel-working-t

Also has an interview with Braben on that link.

Varcaus
December 28 2012, 03:23:50 PM
:popcorn:

Mona
December 28 2012, 05:29:51 PM
How much they've gathered?

Warpath
December 28 2012, 05:34:25 PM
How much they've gathered?

7 days to go

Mona
December 28 2012, 05:38:55 PM
Easy.
Yesterday they've had 995k. Also 48 hours before the end KS will send reminders.

Warpath
December 28 2012, 05:40:36 PM
Assuming they continue to draw in 40k a day?

Mona
December 28 2012, 11:20:14 PM
According to kicktraq, they need only 30k/day to reach goal, and they're doing it for last two weeks (except christmas).

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous/#chart-mini

Jack bubu
December 29 2012, 09:21:35 AM
well usually with kickstarters there is a huge spike in pledges towards the end of the campaign (see star citizen)

CDLoon
December 29 2012, 10:22:32 AM
I hope this makes it.

I upped my pledge to help.

Steph
December 30 2012, 01:48:05 AM
inaftertehlock

Pacefalm
December 30 2012, 01:58:44 AM
I think this will make it. Or rather, I highly doubt that it will fail to get funded. Should be interesting in competition with SC, although that latter seems to have much more funds behind it n any case.

Warpath
December 31 2012, 09:20:28 AM
1,113,352 raised so far. 4 days to go.

Netjerenbau
December 31 2012, 01:39:28 PM
I really enjoyed playing the previous games. I really sucked at docking in the first one, though. The others got silly once you slapped 100 shields on a Panther, though.
Wish I knew what I did with my old disks.

It looks like it's going to be close, I've thrown as much at it as I'm willing to.

Warpath
January 1 2013, 03:21:10 PM
Art Journal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NSMMTfwTOU

~92k to be raised in just under 3 days?

Varcaus
January 1 2013, 03:29:00 PM
Will barely make it I think.

Warpath
January 1 2013, 03:52:46 PM
Gonna be touch and go unless there is a big last day rush?

Trindermon
January 1 2013, 03:58:35 PM
Gonna be touch and go unless there is a big last day rush?

Pretty sure it wont make it; :-( I really hope it does, this is the sort of space game i want to play.

Pacefalm
January 1 2013, 06:41:48 PM
There is always a big last day rush. It will get funded.

GiDiYi
January 1 2013, 08:59:03 PM

I think you're right. I just grabbed one of the last ten 20 pounds offer that were up. Doesn't feel bad, man.

Tailn
January 2 2013, 10:53:05 AM

I think you're right. I just grabbed one of the last ten 20 pounds offer that were up. Doesn't feel bad, man.

Part of the last min rush GiDiYi? There is only so much wall sitting one can do when you see a dead line bearing down isn't there. 100k 3 days I see no problem, the only issue I can see is how to hold off the £100 package to get beta access for my self :(

Warpath
January 2 2013, 12:20:04 PM
Been pretty quick going today, only 49k needed now.

Warpath
January 2 2013, 03:30:41 PM
Kickstarter a bit gimped? a while back they were reporting 1 mil 225k as being raised then after an F5 it dropped to 1 mil 224k. And just now went from 1mil 228k to 1mil 227 :s

Mona
January 2 2013, 04:27:37 PM
It's 1,230 now

Warpath
January 2 2013, 04:29:11 PM
Hopefully it only goes up from there. when i typed out the 1.228 bit above it dropped back down to 1.224...

Shaikar
January 2 2013, 04:34:47 PM
54 hours and 18.5k left to go. :)

Warpath
January 2 2013, 06:23:19 PM
At the current rate, another hour or two and they will most likely ding the target?

Warpath
January 2 2013, 06:32:34 PM
Target reached.

Reynolds
January 2 2013, 06:33:44 PM
it's hit the target hope they can get to the 1.5mil stretch goal

Pacefalm
January 2 2013, 07:22:41 PM
Told you :)

Trindermon
January 2 2013, 08:20:15 PM
I will forever bow to your awsomesauce. :)

I am SO happy about this, out of all the space titles in development, THIS is the one i want.

Tailn
January 3 2013, 07:51:07 AM
I will forever bow to your awsomesauce. :)

I am SO happy about this, out of all the space titles in development, THIS is the one i want.

I want the elite universe crossed with star citizens matchmaking, physics flight model and walking in ships :(.

CDLoon
January 3 2013, 09:12:29 AM
Very pleased this is a go. Will be interesting to see if Braben still has what it takes.

Evil Synns
January 3 2013, 10:39:55 AM
Still have a worry, but I did pay up. I would hate to miss a bandwagon!

Skeptic
January 3 2013, 10:47:52 AM

Guys chill on the pledges its getting horribly close to the mac version unlock :cry:

Hels
January 3 2013, 10:55:52 AM
Fuck it, threw 20 at it for shits and gigs. More space games the better.

Shaikar
January 3 2013, 05:11:20 PM
Even made the news :)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20897768

Warpath
January 3 2013, 05:26:21 PM
They've updated that, earlier it stated that it just scraped to it's target within 24 hr's of it ending. Now been updated to 48 hr's

Warpath
January 3 2013, 05:55:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL2_oa_5D8A

Max Teranous
January 3 2013, 09:55:18 PM

No bandwagon to miss, if it does get made I'll buy it in a sale at some point. That's one of the odd things about kickstarter software drives, too many people seem to think its now or never :?

Max 8-)

Shaikar
January 3 2013, 10:54:47 PM

No bandwagon to miss, if it does get made I'll buy it in a sale at some point. That's one of the odd things about kickstarter software drives, too many people seem to think its now or never :?

Max 8-)
The bandwagon is picking up <snacky KS exclusive thing> that interests you.

Netjerenbau
January 4 2013, 05:00:12 PM
Apparently it's just hit the Mac unlock stage. Personally I couldn't care less about that.
If they'd release any of the previous games on android though, that would be fantastic.

Reynolds
January 4 2013, 05:07:55 PM
Its also hit the second goal for ten more playable ships

pr0lurker
January 4 2013, 05:10:35 PM
I'll wait until it's on sale on Steam if nothing else looks ok... I've got a feeling this is going to be the Beagle 2 of computer games though. I hope not.

helgur
January 4 2013, 06:43:20 PM
Pledged, because I have faith in this project. Played all of the Elite games and I am super exited what might come out of this :D

helgur
January 4 2013, 07:02:33 PM
Just in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9k7E4ngFw&list=UUd1Xmm1TFBD-lfZUWaWf7EA&index=1

BTW: Where can I find the different stretch goals? I've done some searching for them but can't find it :/

Mona
January 4 2013, 07:37:27 PM
4th and 5th paragraph on main page.

Ashaz
January 6 2013, 02:07:58 PM
I am so looking forward to this thing.

helgur
January 11 2013, 11:39:44 PM
Hi everyone,

after the excitement of last week it seems almost bizarre how crazy busy things have been this week. We've been busy putting everything together and this update is to tell you where we are with various things.

Before we get into the details of what comes next here is some new concept art of ships limping home:

http://i.imgur.com/QYHff.jpg

So what comes next? Apart from the obvious 'making the game' we have a number of rewards that we now need to provide. To do this we'll need various pieces of information from you. To manage this process we're creating a web app that will be based on our website that will allow you to manage your pledge rewards, select add-ons and organise gift pledges. You will also be able to increase your pledge (or make your first pledge) via PayPal if you wish. The system will be online within the next two weeks.

In the meantime you can still pledge via PayPal on our website:

http://elite.frontier.co.uk

We will also be setting up the new backers, design and writers forums. These will be online by the end of the month. In the meantime you can access our public forums that are open to everyone and can be found at:

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=29

The first newsletter will be posted in early February and we'll have some new cool stuff to report. We're still looking into the details, but at the moment our expectation is that we'll send out the newsletter every two weeks and we'll also have a more in depth dev diaries from David or myself or other members of the team every month. Although we'll post additional dev diaries as needed when we have cool new things to show or tell you about. The dev diaries will be posted as Kickstarter updates.

As is traditional we'll close this update with a book plug. Kate Russell's 'Mostly Harmless' Kickstarter is still running and she's now working towards her stretch goal of an audio book. Visit her project below to provide your support:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/katerussell/mostly-harmless-an-elite-dangerous-novel-working-t

So once again thanks to everyone for your support. We are making this game!

Michael

Update from kickstarter

Netjerenbau
January 29 2013, 05:23:37 PM
Just got the email asking me to register for my rewards. For my Commander name I'll probably just use the Eve name I was most fond of. It's also asking me for an NPC name. This is where my brain fails me but I'll probably leave it.

One thing I do notice is that I should have the ability to download the finished game listed on my rewards but it doesn't mention that, just all the others I threw money at.

Mona
January 29 2013, 06:43:02 PM
My is hidden(ish) in the middle of the rewards.

Netjerenbau
January 29 2013, 06:46:02 PM
My is hidden(ish) in the middle of the rewards.

Ah, I see it now. Thanks.
4 From the bottom.

helgur
February 13 2013, 03:22:56 PM
Some updates and news recieved on email:

Death...

There's been some very heated debate on the Design forums about the nature of player character death in Elite: Dangerous; so much so, that we've added a general poll to the standard Backers' forum in order to get a wider opinion.

If you have selected a reward package that includes access to the Private Backer's or Design Discussion Forums, you should sign up to get involved now.

Remember that, while everyone's opinion is important and will help us get a picture of what our fans want from ED, only backers that have signed up to the Design Decision forums will have a hands-on role in how the game is developed.

...and Taxes

It's nearly the end of the business year and, like all responsible UK companies, we're busy filling in our tax returns. Obviously many of the backers' rewards will incur tax and, while we don't want to withhold HM Government from its fair share, it is important to ensure that your money is rightfully applied to making Elite: Dangerous.

To help us with this, please can you visit your My Profile page and select your Country of residence from the drop-down menu. As an added incentive, we'll be running a prize draw for all backers that have registered their country, with 10 randomly selected winners each receiving 1,000 in game credits when ED is released.

Project Update #40: New Dev Diary And Concept Art

Hi everyone,

welcome to the latest update for Elite: Dangerous. In this update we have the latest dev diary, a new piece of concept art and a few other items.

Dev Diary

The latest dev diary is shown below. We have opened a thread in the private backers forums so people can suggest what questions they'd like us to answer. This will be an ongoing feature, so make sure to get involved in the thread to add your suggestion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9612CgOr3lE&feature=youtu.be

We intend to present a new dev diary every month, so keep those questions coming.

Concept Art

We're currently looking at the ships and their styles for the game. One of these is first of the very large ships in game. The first large ship to get the concept treatment is an Imperial cruiser as seen below:

http://i49.tinypic.com/saxz0p.jpg

Web App Updates

A web app update email was sent out earlier this week. Most pertinent is the fact that we are locking down the physical add-ons (mugs, t-shirts and printed concept art) this coming Sunday 17th Feb). You must have your details for items and delivery added to the system by this date. We will do a follow up in the early summer for people who have missed this deadline and for any new backers.

Newsletters

We are aiming to start the backer newsletters (if you pledged a reward of £10 or higher you should receive this) next week. These will provide a more intimate view of the game and its progress. We'll continue the Kickstarter updates for new videos and dev diaries as well.

Can I Still Back The Game?

Yes you can. We are still accepting pledges via PayPal on our web site. We are looking into other payment methods. If you have already pledged, but want to increase your participation then you can do that via the web app.

If you have any issues with the web app then please email us at:

edbackers@frontier.co.uk

I'll speak to you all soon!

Michael

Mona
February 13 2013, 05:02:57 PM
That thing looks cool.

helgur
February 20 2013, 12:04:04 PM
First newsletter in

Welcome to the first Elite: Dangerous newsletter. With these newsletters we want to bring you all a bit closer to the game’s development. So rather than just seeing the shiny finished, or near finished renderings you’ll get see work-in-progress and processes for how we get to a finished item. We hope you’ll enjoy this closer view of what we’re doing and we’ll have lots of good stuff to share with you over the coming months.

Capital Ships

Something we didn’t show during the Kickstarter campaign was the very large, non-player controlled ships. Most of these will be civilian heavy lifter type vessels, but it also includes the large warships that the major factions use for major naval deployments.

We started the process by identifying the type of ship we wanted. For the initial release we plan on just including a few of these titans, so we wanted ships that were general purpose, in naval parlance this usually means cruisers. Traditionally cruisers are ships that are designed to operate independently. In the Elite universe this means that they are capable of going toe to toe against each other as well as acting as fleets or assault carriers.

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/capitalship01.jpg

As well as identifying the type of vessel we are in the middle of establishing the style of the ships operated by the major factions. For these first ships we decided to go with a Federation and an Imperial warship. We next had to determine the overall shape for the new ships. Our concept artists put together some quick sketches of different outlines and forms. See the image above and the one below.

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/capitalship02.jpg

It looks mean. It looks cool. So we painted a version of the ship in situ:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/capitalship_insitu03a_d5.jpg

We’re now happy with the result, so the 3D artists have started modelling the ship and I’m hoping we can show you the WIP model in the next newsletter. Once we have it in 3D we’ll tweak it further.
And for the Imperial warship we picked ship 25, you have already seen the painted concept for this in the latest dev diary and Kickstarter update. I’ve copied it again in all its glory below:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/capitalship_insitu01a.2.jpg

Sidewinder Cockpit

The Sidewinder is the basic starting ship for the game. It is an all rounder ship, able to act as a small fighter as well as a small trader. On the smaller ships in particular the cockpit is one of the key defining elements for the look of the ship. In the concept below you can see the basic Sidewinder airframe along with a variety of cockpit styles:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/SideWinderRefined_Cokpits.JPG

Here’s some more Sidewinder concept:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/sidewinder.png

Fighter Sketches

As seen in the capital ship section, the first stage of the art process for ships are thumbnail sketches. Here are some for various fighter type ships:

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/EmperialSketches.jpg

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e/images/Fed_and_Empire_fighters.jpg

Design Topics

Over the past two weeks the Design Decisions Forum has been busy discussing the first two topics. The first topic, concerning how death and related consequences should be handled in the game. This sparked lively debate and the thoughts and opinions for this topic, which in turn has provided useful feedback for our designers. The next step will be to put this into an updated design which will be debated internally and agreed for the design. Naturally as with a lot of design it will change when we start implementation, but we will have a more considered approach thanks the input from the DDF.

Fiction

Thanks to the help of the authors we are making good progress with the game’s fiction. We’re looking into starting a fiction video diary to keep you up to date on fiction related developments in the next few weeks.

Mona
September 13 2013, 09:16:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE8B4KptyVI

Steph
September 13 2013, 10:00:48 AM
dat centrifuge

Why do the Imperial ships look so much cooler than the Federation ones?

Tailn
September 13 2013, 10:23:22 AM
Now I expect to find Elite more enjoyable than StarCitizen no other reason that no one is watching it and expecting it to be great, but co-op and pvp play being available in a dynamic and massive universe, with what looks to be pretty sweet graphics (I hope those beam weapons slicing into the cap ship were ingame effects) should be good.
Getting more and more glad i backed this as well as Star Citizen.

Trindermon
September 13 2013, 12:40:32 PM
Now I expect to find Elite more enjoyable than StarCitizen no other reason that no one is watching it and expecting it to be great, but co-op and pvp play being available in a dynamic and massive universe, with what looks to be pretty sweet graphics (I hope those beam weapons slicing into the cap ship were ingame effects) should be good.
Getting more and more glad i backed this as well as Star Citizen.

I backed this cause Roberts has a history of over promising and underachieving. (something that everyone is failing to remember). also, its fucking elite.

Torashuu
September 13 2013, 01:34:55 PM
Seeing this just makes me sad Naumachia never got their beta started.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpgkqPaEelM#

Really don't like the way the ships manouver in that elite prerendered thingy.

Sandzibar
September 13 2013, 01:43:12 PM
dat centrifuge

Continuity... Imp Couriers/Traders in frontier were awesome looking too.

I dont really like the newly re-imagined sidewinders - mainly due to the bubble cockpit. I know that the old ships are all flat polys with no visible cockpits due to limitations in rendering complicated stuff 'back in the day'. But they gave the ships a certain sleek simplisticly efficient look.

Steph
September 13 2013, 05:16:51 PM
dat centrifuge

Continuity... Imp Couriers/Traders in frontier were awesome looking too.

Oh how fondly I do recall...but I had the same question when I played FFE(my first elite game, I am le scrub) and have wondered all these years why the Imperials had such drastically better-looking ships.

definatelynotKKassandra
September 13 2013, 06:05:22 PM
Same reason Amarrian ships are shiny and golden.

Plus, you're all forgetting the Asp, which was a) fed and b) awesome. Although I was always partial to a Viper Mk II with a class 3 jumpdrive in First Encounters, purely for being able to jump from Sol to Vequess in one go (I think?or maybe it couldn't quite reach) whilst also being fuck tha police.

On topic, I'm expecting massive disappointment from both this and Star Citizen, purely because neither party could get their games finished properly even when they weren't funded solely by a combo of ego and kickstarter. Expecting more fanboy rage from SC though, purely because the expectations seem to have passed unrealistic and entered into the realm of pixies, cocaine and $1000 jeans.

Trindermon
September 13 2013, 07:10:37 PM
THAT AWSOME VID

That looks utterly fucking sweet. Cant wait. :)

erichkknaar
September 13 2013, 11:47:38 PM

Plus, you're all forgetting the Asp, which was a) fed and b) awesome. Although I was always partial to a Viper Mk II with a class 3 jumpdrive in First Encounters, purely for being able to jump from Sol to Vequess in one go (I think?or maybe it couldn't quite reach) whilst also being fuck tha police.

On topic, I'm expecting massive disappointment from both this and Star Citizen, purely because neither party could get their games finished properly even when they weren't funded solely by a combo of ego and kickstarter. Expecting more fanboy rage from SC though, purely because the expectations seem to have passed unrealistic and entered into the realm of pixies, cocaine and $1000 jeans.

Weirdly enough, I have faith in Braben. Elite on the C64 is the first game I ever got totally immersed in. 2 m8s and I spent an entire weekend without sleep back when I was about 13/14 playing. Taking turns at piloting but discussing the trade/business decisions. So good. All the others he's done have been good too. That's the thing, he doesn't really need to screw with the core game. Just make it pretty.

helgur
September 14 2013, 01:47:24 AM

Well, David Braben truly did work some magic back in the olden days of video game infancy with Elite. I hope he will apply some of that magic again with this

... or maybe that line of reasoning is just another sure recipe for massive disappointment :psyduck:

Xiang Jiao
September 14 2013, 03:50:42 AM
Remind me why I didn't back this game again. :facepalm:

definatelynotKKassandra
September 14 2013, 08:18:56 AM
Because the pitch was basically 'hai I wanna make gaem gief monies plox' and looked they had no fucking clue what they were doing.

Steph
September 14 2013, 09:21:01 AM
^^ That, and it seemed a little "Me Too!" having followed so closely after Star Citizen's crowdfunding drive.

But now it's looking like Braben actually has a solid roadmap to back up his ideas, he's just almost as bad at messaging as he is at picking titles (inb4 Elite: Dangeresque)

Sandzibar
September 14 2013, 10:23:15 AM
^^ That, and it seemed a little "Me Too!" having followed so closely after Star Citizen's crowdfunding drive.

But now it's looking like Braben actually has a solid roadmap to back up his ideas, he's just almost as bad at messaging as he is at picking titles (inb4 Elite: Dangeresque)

If only we could clone the one true spacesim god... using only the best bits of Braben and Roberts.

Max Teranous
September 14 2013, 10:24:28 AM
Just because you didn't back it doesn't mean you can't, you know, buy it when it comes out. :?

Mona
September 14 2013, 11:24:23 AM
It's never too late to give them your money.

Want to support Elite: Dangerous? It's not too late. Register to be an Elite Backer (http://elite.frontier.co.uk/register/#.UjRHBT-GMjU) today and receive exclusive rewards for your contribution.

smagd
September 14 2013, 12:23:14 PM
When I played it, I stole it. Me and a mate played it with four hands on one keyboard: One did weapons and jump drive, and one speed and direction. I also had to "crack" it, and renamed some of the pirates.

I have a chance to give Braben some of the money I stole from him back then, and whether he delivers an experience like that or not is secondary to me although DATT CAPITAL DODGE FIGHTING!

Tailn
September 14 2013, 12:25:38 PM
It's never too late to give them your money.

Want to support Elite: Dangerous? It's not too late. Register to be an Elite Backer (http://elite.frontier.co.uk/register/#.UjRHBT-GMjU) today and receive exclusive rewards for your contribution.

DO IT!

The problems with the original kick starter is that it most definitely was me to, however it was not a me to look at all the $$ quick throw something together. It was a case of we have a way to make this game we have been planning for the last 10 years quick to the $$ machine, they know what they are making and have been dreaming about and trying to get it started for years and getting turned down at ever attempt.

However they are showing that they are now able to build something to put all the thinking, personal evening / weekend work and stuff they have used for pitches in the past into a package. I do believe that Braben knows how to make an extensive universe that feels alive, what I wonder is if he has kept up with modern game programming and if they can manage to make space combat feel fun.

Xiang Jiao
September 14 2013, 04:21:20 PM
Just because you didn't back it doesn't mean you can't, you know, buy it when it comes out. :?

I know, but I feel silly for not backing the KS originally. I should have gone for this one instead of Planetary Annihilation.

Hayes DuSid
September 14 2013, 05:28:44 PM
Glad I supported this.

Not to the extent of SC but these guys look to be delivering earlier and a better space sim with less feature creep.

Going to upgrade this pledge by 65 eventually (when I save up enough for it), to give them a bit more support now that we see some space stuff.

Tailn
September 15 2013, 11:58:55 AM
Glad I supported this.

Not to the extent of SC but these guys look to be delivering earlier and a better space sim with less feature creep.

Going to upgrade this pledge by 65 eventually (when I save up enough for it), to give them a bit more support now that we see some space stuff.

They are going for a lot more focused game though and I doubt it will have any where near the same level of space combat. having said that it will do what it saays on the tin and i want that any way (procedural universe and exploding ships).

Devec
September 15 2013, 06:25:38 PM
I am impressed by the latest videos but I kind of want to see some gameplay before I jump on the bandwagon. I tried scouring their youtube channel but found nothing but 10 minute talks about what they are working on. Is there some (early) footage out there of actual gameplay?

dzajic
September 15 2013, 06:27:15 PM
Have they shown galactic map and in system map yet? FirstEnc was buggy as hell but feeling of "space is really really really big" was done so well.

Tailn
September 16 2013, 10:28:07 AM
Have they shown galactic map and in system map yet? FirstEnc was buggy as hell but feeling of "space is really really really big" was done so well.

I am setting my expectations on a less featureful version of frontier first encounters, less breadth but more depth (trading and universe lore i expect to be better) and at least as many bugs.

VARRAKK
October 5 2013, 07:52:29 AM
New Dev Diary out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4-gyDLRMXg

Tailn
October 5 2013, 03:15:09 PM
All those people who were shitting on the video and claiming it was pre-rendered :D it may be scripted but 90% was ingame art. This is looking better each video and i feel it will be a very close second to star citizen, which is nice considering the amount of funding they have.

Torashuu
October 5 2013, 03:24:22 PM
The important part of what he says is: "The ships are flying along predetermined paths." This is both good and bad, because as they are flying looks ugly. So there is room for improvement, but its also possible this is the idealized version of ship movement in which case its going to be even more horrid then the X series. This is, ofcourse, my personal opinion.

QuackBot
October 5 2013, 04:00:09 PM
So why are you in yet.

Tailn
October 5 2013, 09:00:22 PM
Don't recall this being linked previously, there is an archive for all the old news letters here (http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/home/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=eb767c006f) the latest No. 11 is actually quite interesting

Welcome to the 11th Elite: Dangerous development newsletter! Apart from a few pieces of evocative concept art we have been keeping our thoughts on stations quite close to our chest, and we know many of you are itching to find out more about our plans for these vital trade and communication hubs.

Today we’re happy to finally lift the veil and begin sharing with you a few of our ideas. We hope this update will give you a better impression of how stations will look and operate in the final game. So prepare for docking, and cast your eyes over this edition’s bulletin board:

Table of Contents (click subject to jump forward):

Castles in the Sky: Providing Variation in Station Design
Visualising the Inside of Stations
Constructing Stations through the Event System
Darken the Skies: Building a Federal Battle Cruiser
Gravity
Comms Chatter: Party Music

Castles in the Sky: Providing Variation in Station Design

The classic Coriolis Station is as iconic to the Elite series as the Cobra MK III, and whilst we’re happy to confirm that it will be making a triumphant return for Elite: Dangerous, a galaxy cannot live on Cuboctahedrons alone!

To assure that there is enough variation across inhabited space, Elite: Dangerous will be using procedural algorithms to construct stations out of a range of modular assets. This technique will allow for a wide range of possible station designs, whilst allowing us to make the most of our library of assets.

You can see just a few examples of the very early modules that our team have been experimenting with below. These are not for use in the final game but have been created as a sandbox by our artists, to begin exploring a range of basic shapes that could be used for construction.

Beyond making it easier to provide variation throughout the galaxy, a modular approach allows for several other advantages. One such benefit is that players will be able to see stations expand over time, or in response to player-driven events.

There are various functions that a module can be designed for and all have to be designed so that they look fit for purpose. Below are two examples of modules that are currently being designed. An agricultural module, for stations close enough to a star to sustainably grow crops, and cargo pods for external storage. The assumption is that plants grown in ‘natural light’ would attract a premium price.

Beyond designs for more conventional stations, we also plan to have a few specialist station types that fulfill specific roles; each constructed using their own sets of rules and modules. This will help to establish some stylistic differences between the stations, which will make it easier for players to define what the role of one is upon approach. Some examples are below:

Whilst we know that stations will be built modularly, and we have the technical framework in place to make this happen, we are still very much in the pre-visualisation stage when it comes to the aesthetic. That said, some important philosophies that are helping to guide the design of stations for Elite: Dangerous have already been established:

Scientific Plausibility: a station’s design needs to be structurally feasible, and make sense practically. How people get about, the use of very low gravity for loading/unloading of ships, but higher gravity for living – typically half to one earth-equivalent in strength.
Functionality: The function of each element should be considered- where things are stored, where people would want to live, etc. Why it is where it is, and how would people and goods get about.
Gravity: Living in gravity is comfortable, so in general, space stations spin. That way eating, sleeping, sneezing, and going to the toilet, are a lot more straightforward. Some things benefit from low gravity, like unloading cargo and manufacturing. Also, lower gravity levels (say 1/3 g) could be very pleasant because, for example, a normal human could strap on wings and fly! Because of this there is no special direction (no ‘up’), so there is no need for stations for example to be coplanar – something that a lot of science fiction designs neglect.

One idea that the team are currently exploring further is the concept that a station does not need to be a single structure, but can have multiple satellite components around a central structure, linked only by rapid transport routes. This idea is not only plausible but would offer the Elite stations a unique aesthetic that would be visually striking.

As stations are such a huge part of the game, the aesthetic direction that we choose is not a decision that we’re going to rush. We have literally hundreds of ideas at this point for what we want to do with this area of the game, our task now is to choose what we believe will be the best ones for a new Elite.

return to contents
Designing a Docking Cylinder
In Elite canon the only artificial gravity that exists is based on centripetal force, or acceleration. Ships are designed to land vertically, and a good way to achieve this is having a cylindrical docking bay. This is large enough to take quite big ships, and rotates such that there is an apparent gravity of around 5-10% of that on Earth. In such a place, a human could lift a tonne unaided, but the cargo would still stay on the ground where it was placed. Everything from servicing ships to awaiting another cargo could be done here in comfort.

The design for docking cylinders in Elite: Dangerous has been established for some time and is therefore one of the aspects of stations that has been developed the furthest. The image below is one of the earliest explorations into this design and shows a simple breakdown of the main compartments.

An early artistic impression of the inside of the docking cylinder can be seen here. The basic principle is that by rotating the station around a central docking cylinder it is possible to land ships safely in a low-gravity environment around the inside of the cylinder, making full use of its surface area.

The current build of the game has a functional (but basic) version of the docking cylinder already, to help with development in other areas, but in its current form it is extremely lifeless. Once a principle design was agreed upon, the next stage is to find ways to bring it to life and add variety for the player.

The above image shows one such variation on the standard design, for more luxurious stations. The concept is that a docking cylinder could almost be half-garden, so that you’re landing your ship amongst lush vegetation; like a Park Güell or Garden City in space. This sort of station would of course be particularly extravagant and access would be exclusive.

At the other side of the spectrum will be the bustling commercial stations seen below; dirty, busy, and bathed in the glow of neon lights from the advertising holos and billboards plastered on and around any available surface.

There are a countless number of directions we could go when it comes to adding variety and detail to the inside of stations and we’d love to hear suggestions from our community as well. If you have any thoughts on our ideas so far, or have any ideas on station interiors of your own, then let us know over at our official forums.

return to contents
Constructing Stations through the Event System

One exciting feature that we hope to implement is the opportunity for players to be able to view a station in its various stages of construction, such as in the image above. A precursor to a new station would be the arrival of a large ship that would fulfil the role of a temporary station, or colony ship to a specific system. This would then act as the primary hub for trade and missions, until work on an adjacent static station was complete.

The construction of a station would be managed by the events system and as such would generate missions and opportunities for the players, allowing you to help or hinder the progress of a station. By helping the station you would advance its construction, opening up a potentially lucrative new trade and mission hub.

You would be able to see firstly the framework structure, constructed of metals from local asteroids or brought from afar, and gradually the station would build up from that point. The station would become habitable (and trade could start with it) long before it is fully complete- much like a house development, the extra space would gradually be built as it was needed.

Players could also opt to undertake more insidious tasks that would damage the station’s progress for personal profit. If enough players choose this route there is a chance that it will affect the project so negatively that the construction team would cut their losses and move onto the next project, leaving a half-finished station behind.

return to contents
Darken the Skies: Building a Federal Battle Cruiser
We have shared earlier steps of the Federal Battle Cruiser’s development with you, from early concept, to modelling and even lighting. The next is to show you how it looks as a fully textured model in the game:

The above image was taken straight from our engine. Despite the immense size and firepower of these capital ships they are by no means invulnerable and may sometimes get themselves into perilous situations, where players could be called upon to give them assistance.

To accompany this screenshot we also have a schematic for the Federal Battle Cruiser. Just click on the image below for a high resolution version!

return to contents
Gravity
Stations will operate as homes and workplaces for many of the galaxy’s citizens and while working through the designs of these stations, the team also had to consider the implications it might have on the game universe.

One such consideration came when considering if there were ever situations when a station would not need to rotate. Research shows that a completely zero-gravity environment would be extremely uncomfortable to live in, as water would not be able to settle, so it makes sense to assume that at least a small amount of gravity is always preferable to none at all.

In the Elite universe humans have since colonised a wide range of different planets, all of which would have their own levels of gravity. This means that different colonies would have their own preference as to what was a comfortable level of gravity to live in, which may also affect their physical appearance.

A low-gravity environment is considered easier on the body, but growing up in this environment may also make you taller, but much more frail. People from this sort of colony might be significantly restricted in where they can safely travel to for health reasons. Likewise, someone born in a high-gravity environment might grow up squatter, but with a stronger heart and more tolerant of strain on their body. Retirement would likely be to a lower gravity location. On 1/3 g and below, flying is possible with strap-on wings. Some manufacturing techniques would work better in zero g- whereas high g worlds might be a good source of certain raw materials.

This opens up a lot of exciting possibilities from a fiction perspective, that we are considering exploring further. What other differences might develop between different colonies and could these differences fuel intolerance and discrimination between different groups? If you want to provide any input on this idea, let us know on the forums.

return to contents
Comms Chatter: Party Music
If you’re a composer or musician, then community member Allen Stroud’s new Sound Cloud group might be for you! This group has been created for fans of Elite, to share and collaborate on music inspired by the series. If you like to express yourself through the median of music and are feeling inspired by the impending release of Elite: Dangerous, then why not head over to the group page and get involved!

Elsewhere in our community (our Danish community in fact) community member Commander Andersen has taken it upon himself to organise an unofficial launch party for Elite: Dangerous, to take place in Copenhagen. If you live in Denmark, are a fan of Elite, and would like to meet up with some like-minded people for drinks and merriment, then why not head over to the event’s Facebook page now.

return to contents

That’s it for another newsletter, apologies for the longer than usual wait between editions. Thank you again for following and supporting our progress so far and we’ll be back soon with another update on how things are getting on!

Thanks again, Ashley

Lana Torrin
October 6 2013, 11:50:00 AM
All those people who were shitting on the video and claiming it was pre-rendered :D it may be scripted but 90% was ingame art. This is looking better each video and i feel it will be a very close second to star citizen, which is nice considering the amount of funding they have.

The thing is though the video is still fabricated. Most of the weapons wont be doing that much damage in game, you probably wont be able to get close enough to fly through enemy ships, your camera wont be jumping around to view just the exciting bits of the fight.. It might be rendered with the in game engine but its not a gameplay video.

Tailn
October 6 2013, 12:58:52 PM

The thing is though the video is still fabricated. Most of the weapons wont be doing that much damage in game, you probably wont be able to get close enough to fly through enemy ships, your camera wont be jumping around to view just the exciting bits of the fight.. It might be rendered with the in game engine but its not a gameplay video.

Never thought it was gameplay I was just looking at the shiny spaceships pewpewing each other, we know Braben can to procedural stuff what i worry about is if he can leverage modern graphics and computing to make something look pretty as well as have a huge universe.

VARRAKK
October 6 2013, 02:38:12 PM
Its demo of the game, now actual game play.

Reynolds
October 10 2013, 10:07:32 PM
They are now including Oculus Rift support

http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7985

Mona
October 10 2013, 11:23:56 PM
Does Ocullus works for cyclops (aka one eyed dudes)?

RazoR
October 10 2013, 11:34:57 PM
Does Ocullus works for cyclops (aka one eyed dudes)?wat

Obviously you won't get 3d but otherwise it's still a huge picture in front of you with nothing else getting in the way.

QuackBot
October 11 2013, 12:00:12 AM
[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]1. Be in clan[/spoiler.

Paradox
October 13 2013, 12:33:58 PM

Are you a cyclops?

Netjerenbau
October 13 2013, 12:35:46 PM

Are you a cyclops?

Whether he is or not, I hear it's still bad for those of us who wear glasses.

Steph
October 13 2013, 10:09:36 PM

Are you a cyclops?

Whether he is or not, I hear it's still bad for those of us who wear glasses.

Quadruclops?

friznit
October 14 2013, 08:49:55 AM
Sounds like a horse.

metacannibal
November 12 2013, 03:41:03 PM
http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html

Paradox
November 12 2013, 03:49:43 PM
http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/hiresffe.html

Jesus ok. Downloading.

metacannibal
November 12 2013, 04:40:18 PM
http://spacesimcentral.com/ssc/files/file/825-ffed3d-complete7z/

complete pack

Sandzibar
November 13 2013, 11:46:18 AM
http://www.frontierastro.co.uk/Hires/Viper.jpg

Do all the ships in this D3D version have this level of detail in the model/textures? As that is spectacularly different to what I remember of FFE.

QuackBot
November 13 2013, 12:00:11 PM

Do all the ships in this D3D version have this level of detail in the model/textures? As that is spectacularly different to what I remember of FFE.
What is that.

helgur
November 13 2013, 03:42:58 PM

What is that.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/db/Lamborghini_Polizia.JPG

Mona
November 27 2013, 03:49:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WmsnwNq98

Tailn
November 28 2013, 09:02:52 PM
It's impressive isn't it especially considering the budget they have.
Fantasy MMO's may be failing left and right but the Space Sim Lives once again.

Pacefalm
November 28 2013, 11:55:09 PM
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Some competition with Star Citizen might turn out to make both games better

Sandzibar
November 29 2013, 07:54:05 AM
Brits. So good at space ship game stuffs.

:godsavethequeen:

o7

QuackBot
November 29 2013, 08:00:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WmsnwNq98
I believe he is referring to this [url]http://video.blues.nhl.com/1bzxm8o.gif[/img.

Mona
November 29 2013, 10:29:26 AM

That's why I doubled my pledge. Still pennies compared to Star Citizen though.

o7

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/images/assets_c/2011/09/SophieOkonedo091611-thumb-330x194-70933.jpg

Tailn
November 29 2013, 01:02:13 PM

That's why I doubled my pledge. Still pennies compared to Star Citizen though.

o7

http://www.blastr.com/sites/blastr/files/images/assets_c/2011/09/SophieOkonedo091611-thumb-330x194-70933.jpg

I'll see your firefly and raise you:

http://hackenbacker.com/images/uploads/general/Outcasts.jpg

Both excellent shows firefly doing what american media does best pretty, action and fun. Outcasts doing what british drama does best Plot and writing.
And both of them killed in their youth and a great loss.

Mona
November 29 2013, 01:09:47 PM
That's Queen Elisabeth X from Doctor Who...

Steph
November 29 2013, 03:34:59 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Tailn
November 29 2013, 03:52:16 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

???

Paradox
November 29 2013, 04:03:02 PM
(he thinks you are silly for mistaking Dr Who for Firefly)

Sandzibar
November 29 2013, 04:21:22 PM
It could be said that Zoe and Liz Ten share a similar look...

Tailn
November 29 2013, 05:57:45 PM

Don't watch Dr. Who, though i may have found a reason to.

And thanks both for giving details, don't care about people thinking I am bad but at least I like to know why.

Hels
November 29 2013, 09:04:08 PM

What's that? Not white?

Ædward
November 30 2013, 07:27:34 AM

What's that? Not white?

Ofc not. It's lazy man's 'edgy' script writing. OMG! They made them a darkie, such wow.

Sandzibar
November 30 2013, 09:26:49 AM

What's that? Not white?

Was referring more to the strong, gun toting, warrior women trope.

You really think i'd write what i wrote because I thought "both black with frizzy hair herp derp?"

Hels
November 30 2013, 09:36:29 AM

What's that? Not white?

You really think i'd write what i wrote because I thought "both black with frizzy hair herp derp?"

Yes.

Sandzibar
November 30 2013, 09:41:52 AM

What's that? Not white?

Yes.

Penis

CDLoon
December 12 2013, 01:41:30 PM
Elite: Dangerous Alpha starts today. Did anyone back it with enough to be Alpha testing ?

Ashaz
December 12 2013, 02:11:49 PM
too many interesting games to bother with them all...

Mona
December 12 2013, 02:18:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ykj3-q40A

Sandzibar
December 12 2013, 03:21:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfeFVVw45M

someone trying it out. certainly looks like a step up from frontier/first encounters combat :D pretty slick

Jack bubu
December 12 2013, 03:44:34 PM
Really impressed with the UI and flight model

Steph
December 12 2013, 04:36:12 PM
Dangerous is full-Newtonian, right? I know the old Elite games were.

Frug
December 12 2013, 04:40:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmfeFVVw45M

someone trying it out. certainly looks like a step up from frontier/first encounters combat :D pretty slick

That looks fucking great