PDA

View Full Version : Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter remake)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Sandzibar
December 12 2013, 04:52:10 PM
Dangerous is full-Newtonian, right? I know the old Elite games were.

Well Elite wasnt. But the later ones (Frontier & First Encounters) were fully newtonian.

This one seems to be back to its roots, ie not quite strict newtonian.

Steph
December 12 2013, 05:28:36 PM
Disappointed though I am, in fairness full-Newtonian space combat never looked that good

Sandzibar
December 12 2013, 05:32:41 PM
Disappointed though I am, in fairness full-Newtonian space combat never looked that good

In elite frontier dogfights tended to become an absolute ball ache as each ship shot past each other at hundred of kph, like knights jousting.

This speed limited hybrid, with inertia glide option is probably the most fun. And it still allows you to do some nice Bab5/BSG type newtonian slide shit.

Tailn
December 12 2013, 06:09:01 PM
So how much was alpha access again :(

Mona
December 12 2013, 06:17:35 PM
Pledge £200 or more

261 backers Limited (739 left of 1000)

Participate in the private alpha test, plus all rewards above.

Paradox
December 12 2013, 06:50:03 PM
Good sounds, like it.

Helfix
December 12 2013, 07:02:21 PM
Here is a twitch link with a guy streaming his Alpha play http://www.twitch.tv/zallestial

Tailn
December 12 2013, 07:24:45 PM
Pledge £200 or more

261 backers Limited (739 left of 1000)

Participate in the private alpha test, plus all rewards above.

I knew there was a reason I was not in alpha, that's how much I spent on star citizen and they have much better marketing.

Tailn
December 12 2013, 07:29:44 PM
Here is a twitch link with a guy streaming his Alpha play http://www.twitch.tv/zallestial

Is it only me or is the stream really lagging at times (hoping it is not the game).

~edit~
(now editing works :( )
Yay bobble heads :D

And boom he dies :D
I liked the smoking cockpit when you start taking serious damage, paerticualry the way the smoke curls up rather than puffing as most games seem to do.

Helfix
December 12 2013, 07:46:26 PM

Is it only me or is the stream really lagging at times (hoping it is not the game).

~edit~
(now editing works :( )
Yay bobble heads :D

And boom he dies :D
I liked the smoking cockpit when you start taking serious damage, paerticualry the way the smoke curls up rather than puffing as most games seem to do.

Here is another channel http://www.twitch.tv/kerrashlanding this guy is using an x52 for controls. I like how the cockpit looks. simple, gives you all the info you need and the game looks damn good.

Ashaz
December 12 2013, 08:04:42 PM
That looks and sounds much beter than I had expected. i love that enginesound.
Will be keeping an eye on it now. :)

Mona
December 12 2013, 09:26:51 PM
>started later
>got less money
>has dogfight alpha earlier

definatelynotKKassandra
December 12 2013, 09:50:13 PM
>started later
>got less money

It's tough to find time to maek gaem when people are prepared to give you thousands of dollars each in exchange for a promise of a pixel spaceship in said game to be delivered at some undetermined future point. Now they've given you the money you've got a moral duty to make full use of the hookers and blow.

(I kid, but only about the hookers and blow. People prepared to spend so much on a game frighten me, and even more worryingly I fear they will expect to get something for their money beyond a shiny ship paintjob and good feelings. If they do it could kill the games for anyone other than said spaceship obsessives)

Hayes DuSid
December 12 2013, 10:50:46 PM
>started later
>got less money

Has Multiplayer dogfight alpha earlier.

Though I will say, we're expecting more pretty from Starcitizen than we are from this. Also, Roberts did say it was a 2015ish game, and we have to give him lee way until then.

Hayes DuSid
December 12 2013, 10:54:17 PM
>started later
>got less money

It's tough to find time to maek gaem when people are prepared to give you thousands of dollars each in exchange for a promise of a pixel spaceship in said game to be delivered at some undetermined future point. Now they've given you the money you've got a moral duty to make full use of the hookers and blow.

(I kid, but only about the hookers and blow. People prepared to spend so much on a game frighten me, and even more worryingly I fear they will expect to get something for their money beyond a shiny ship paintjob and good feelings. If they do it could kill the games for anyone other than said spaceship obsessives)

While I can't speak for everyone who has spent a significant sum, I can say that for me it's more that I want space sims to exist again as well as PC gaming. I'm sick of ports, and shitty ones at that. I'm sick of FPS 235 which doesn't let me open my own doors or leave the script. I very specifically funded pc games and space sim ones too.

Back onto op, those asking about anyone who got into alpha. Note that they have a digital store up that will sell normal Beta access for 50 pounds, all future expansions for 35 pounds, and Premium Alpha + all expansion packs for 100 pounds.

Tailn
December 12 2013, 11:33:46 PM
game looked playable with assisted flight turned off as well :D

Helfix
December 13 2013, 12:02:50 AM
>started later
>got less money

Has Multiplayer dogfight alpha earlier.

Though I will say, we're expecting more pretty from Starcitizen than we are from this. Also, Roberts did say it was a 2015ish game, and we have to give him lee way until then.

Actually, was Elite already not in development for quite a long time, but it was mostly on the back burner? Where as StarCitizen was only in development for <1 year at the time where CR made the Bangle Carrier etc to demonstrate his idea. I mean either way, Elite and SC are quite a bit different in their approach to what the game will be, so I don't think the time-frame really matters because one is going for more complexity while the other one is simpler.

Elite is shaping out to be really good, at least judging by the way people are streaming the Alpha. I'm just glad that the space genre is getting some love after so many years of neglect, no surprise given how niche the genre is and not to mention quite a few disappointments in the last few years that put developers off from it.

Tailn
December 13 2013, 01:05:10 PM
Elite will give us game play while we also dog fight in star citizen, by the time star citizen is playable i expect elite will have been played out, as well as dogfighting, indeed without elite i reckon we will burn out on dog fighting and ruin our long term game play.

Sandzibar
December 13 2013, 09:13:10 PM
game looked playable with assisted flight turned off as well :D

looks fun as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KAJuR5giGo

DaneJa
December 14 2013, 09:06:25 PM
This looks way better than I expected.

Paradox
December 14 2013, 09:59:31 PM
This looks way better than I expected.

I think a lot of people feel that way. I'm mildly surprised as well if I'm honest

DaneJa
December 14 2013, 10:19:30 PM
I'm going to wait until beta and will probably buy in at that point. Mostly just because I don't have a flight control setup yet.

Nax
December 15 2013, 12:24:03 AM
It looks really quite reminiscent of the original Elite in terms of dog fighting style, which brings back happy memories for me. Looking forwards to this quite a bit, although slightly concerned about its longevity. I'm quite tempted to send them a few dollars.

Pacefalm
December 15 2013, 01:01:58 AM
The second vid without flight assist looked way cooler

Hels
December 15 2013, 07:15:40 AM
I think I have a beta access copy.

RazoR
December 15 2013, 07:19:57 AM
I think I have a beta access copy.You know where to find me.

Hels
December 15 2013, 07:55:47 AM
I think I have a beta access copy.You know where to find me.

For myself. Nerd.

QuackBot
December 15 2013, 08:00:12 AM
While I can't speak for everyone who has spent a significant sum, I can say that for me it's more that I want space sims to exist again as well as PC gaming. I'm sick of ports, and shitty ones at that. I'm sick of FPS 235 which doesn't let me open my own doors or leave the script. I very specifically funded pc games and space sim ones too.

Back onto op, those asking about anyone who got into alpha. Note that they have a digital store up that will sell normal Beta access for 50 pounds, all future expansions for 35 pounds, and Premium Alpha + all expansion packs for 100 pounds.
Can't open doors.

RazoR
December 15 2013, 08:13:39 AM
I think I have a beta access copy.You know where to find me.For myself. Nerd.Then it's not a copy. Faggot.

Pacefalm
December 15 2013, 08:34:49 AM
I think I have a beta access copy.You know where to find me.For myself. Nerd.Then it's not a copy. Faggot.

>implying copy means 2

RazoR
December 15 2013, 08:35:59 AM
I think I have a beta access copy.You know where to find me.For myself. Nerd.Then it's not a copy. Faggot.>implying copy means 2saving for history

Pacefalm
December 15 2013, 08:39:51 AM
I think I have a beta access copy.You know where to find me.For myself. Nerd.Then it's not a copy. Faggot.>implying copy means 2saving for history

It is understandable that as glorious russian you might struggle with the capitalist pigs English. Having "a copy" of x means having one of a set of copies. You can have a copy of a book or a copy of a newspaper etc. That does not mean you have more than 1 of those books, more than 1 newspaper etc

RazoR
December 15 2013, 08:42:15 AM

It is understandable that as glorious russian you might struggle with the capitalist pigs English. Having "a copy" of x means having one of a set of copies. You can have a copy of a book or a copy of a newspaper etc. That does not mean you have more than 1 of those books, more than 1 newspaper etcI have a copy of your mom. It goes around~~~

Tailn
December 15 2013, 01:10:00 PM

It is understandable that as glorious russian you might struggle with the capitalist pigs English. Having "a copy" of x means having one of a set of copies. You can have a copy of a book or a copy of a newspaper etc. That does not mean you have more than 1 of those books, more than 1 newspaper etcI have a copy of your mom. It goes around~~~

That would be your own mom then Razor?

With Data all versions other than the 1 Original Master are referred to as copies (print, film or digital and possibly else where). Even the Master is usually referred as a copy.

Durzel
December 16 2013, 06:55:28 PM
God damn the alpha looks and sounds so good.

Kicking myself that I didn't get in on the kickstarter.

Mona
December 16 2013, 06:57:44 PM
Nothing is lost. https://store.zaonce.net/

Nax
December 27 2013, 01:07:31 PM
Apparently they added Occulus Rift and 3D TV support in the latest version of the Elite Dangerous alpha.

Mona
January 21 2014, 08:13:10 PM
Upgrade to Alpha Discount (http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10884)

CDLoon
January 21 2014, 09:00:11 PM
This makes sense. Well done Elite. I'll be upgrading on Friday.

helgur
January 22 2014, 01:14:42 AM
100 pounds to upgrade to alpha when closed beta is just a few weeks away

lol

Tailn
January 22 2014, 12:08:52 PM
100 pounds to upgrade to alpha when closed beta is just a few weeks away

lol

I am more than happy to let them cash in on stupidity, they are not being misleading or lying in any way, it is a fair and open marketing move.
If people don't like paying the stupidity tax there is a simple way to resolve it.

Mona
February 5 2014, 08:18:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDWnBJYTFgs

Sandzibar
February 5 2014, 08:54:41 PM
excited :D

Thoemse
February 5 2014, 09:52:55 PM
That does look pretty amazing for an alpha tbh.

Equium Duo
February 5 2014, 10:31:26 PM
looks good,

Ashaz
February 10 2014, 10:12:14 AM
That does look pretty amazing for an alpha tbh.

Yea a hell of alot better than many games that get's released on steam nowadays.

Sandzibar
February 11 2014, 01:36:22 PM
Someone utilising stealth and evasion in practice. Looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl7uaR1sfI

Xiang Jiao
February 11 2014, 03:18:13 PM
No one alerted me that the alpha looked so polished. Why didn't I back this instead of Star Citizen? I am a stupid, stupid Wing Commander fan boy!

I'm looking forward to the release next month.

Snottus
February 11 2014, 03:26:43 PM
What is Elite anyway? To me it looks like the retarded cousin of Star Citizen
Is it an RPG, or just a spaceshooter?

Renox
February 11 2014, 03:36:31 PM

I love that you can turn off systems to do silent running. I don't know other space games that does that and I never got why.

Mona
February 11 2014, 03:37:57 PM
Why didn't I back this instead of Star Citizen?

Because you're nat as gullible as rest of us?

It's exciting that other icons of the sci-fi simulation game industry are jumping on the KS bandwagon, but I will also adopt a wait and see attitude. I don't have the advantage of having played the original.

And yoou can still get into beta for £50. Alpha would cost you around £200.

https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-standard-beta.html/

Torashuu
February 11 2014, 03:46:40 PM

I love that you can turn off systems to do silent running. I don't know other space games that does that and I never got why.
Iwar 2, Shattered Horizon, Nexus Jupiter incident and Star Trek:Bridge commander from the top of my head.

erichkknaar
February 11 2014, 04:01:42 PM

Elite is the granddaddy of all of them. Originally, it was on the BBC Micro/Spectrum/C64. There have been iterations on it pretty much on all PC like platforms since. 3D space combat, the 3D radar thing, ship fitting, trading, a huge procedurally generated universe. This is one of the original authors kickstarting this. The various versions have always been huge in scope but of variable interest depending on the era and what they were released next to. The first one was fucking mind blowing when it came out though, and there really wouldn't be a Star Citizen (or X or Eve, or any of them) if it wasn't for Elite.

Having lost most of a couple of childhood summers to the original, this edition looks like its really moving in the right direction and I'm glad I backed it.

Xiang Jiao
February 11 2014, 04:14:21 PM
Thanks, Mona. Elite, so far, looks amazing, but I'm still reserving my definitive judgement before voting with my cashish. I'm going to wait for the full release, whenever that is. Wiki says March.

Rakshasa The Cat
February 11 2014, 04:33:52 PM
People who haven't played elite probably were sexually abused by priests at a young age, and as such we should feel sorry for them.

iLOL
February 11 2014, 06:59:16 PM
Elite was ace - till waiting for this (http://amiga.lychesis.net/knowledge/CyberAssault556.html)

1990 proto-trolling:

Peter Molyneux, co-designer of Populous and now the driving force behind Cyber Assault 556, explains: "It's a little like Carrier Command or Elite in the sense that it's a combination of action and combat and complex strategy. But we believe we've created a game design which is much much more complex, with the diplomacy and technical trading aspects. We've got 50 billion independent planets interacting, trading, and fighting with each other, and you're caught in the middle. This isn't a game – it's a real Universe inside a computer!"

:psyblown:

I remember being taken in by it the first time round, and freaking out for an entire month imagining how amazing the game would be, and how I could convince my parents to get an Amiga. That sort of thing seemed vaguely possible back then, when Elite managed to fit eight whole galaxies into a C64.

/old\

Varcaus
February 11 2014, 08:15:55 PM

You can't possibly be this dumb so I'm going to give you a 3/10 because someone was dumb.

cullnean
February 11 2014, 08:22:49 PM

You can't possibly be this dumb so I'm going to give you a 3/10 because someone was dumb.

Beat me too it

Tapamong

Snottus
February 11 2014, 09:56:37 PM

I don't care about Elite's history and legacy and whatnot - the new game looks like a simpler version of SC with less options and fewer possibilities. I was asking if this is the case, or is it a fully fledged sandbox rpg meant to challenge SC?

Varcaus
February 11 2014, 09:58:37 PM

I don't care about Elite's history and legacy and whatnot - the new game looks like a simpler version of SC with less options and fewer possibilities. I was asking if this is the case, or is it a fully fledged sandbox rpg meant to challenge SC?

Please go back to the star citizen offical forums if you want to troll badly or atleast wait till star citizen hits a deadline.

Snottus
February 11 2014, 10:03:19 PM

Please go back to the star citizen offical forums if you want to troll badly or atleast wait till star citizen hits a deadline.

Were one to judge the game by your replies, I'd say it was an evasive bucket of empty.

Google it is then

Xiang Jiao
February 11 2014, 10:25:42 PM

Oh, Star Citizen is full of possibilities just none of them have happened to manifest yet. :lol:

From what I understand, it is probably competing directly with SC/Squadron 42, as it boasts a dynamic instancing of players, but you can also opt out of online play all together (essentially single player). It apparently boasts online co-op play with an opt-out PvP system, so it sounds remarkable similar to SC (playing on a private server). It may achieve these goals in a different manner, however.

helgur
February 11 2014, 10:36:55 PM
What is Star Citizen again? Is it a computer game? Where can I download and play it?

Varcaus
February 11 2014, 10:38:17 PM

Were one to judge the game by your replies, I'd say it was an evasive bucket of empty.

Google it is thenOr you could to the first post of this thread because thats so hard? Jesus chirst fanboi the game isn't even out yet no need to get all protective.

Steph
February 12 2014, 12:24:14 AM

Iwar 2, Shattered Horizon, Nexus Jupiter incident and Star Trek:Bridge commander from the top of my head.

Allegiance did this as well. It actually played a lot like that sequence in the video.

Melichor
February 12 2014, 02:29:51 AM
War in Heaven (FS2 mod) had a great mission where you could stealth into a enemy space port to assassinate a high ranking person then no power to victory. In fact that whole campaign was amazing and I'm looking forward to its release with the voice acting (which is taking fucking forever)

also in before freespace talk takes over this thread :P

Helfix
February 12 2014, 05:03:52 AM

Google it is thenOr you could to the first post of this thread because thats so hard? Jesus chirst fanboi the game isn't even out yet no need to get all protective.

Sounds like Snottus has bit of "special" in him.

Is Elite still slated for March release or have they pushed that back? Elite seems to be coming along nicely and will be a nice hold over until SC comes out.

helgur
February 12 2014, 05:16:33 AM
AFAIK yes, I haven't caught any news that would state otherwise

Mona
February 12 2014, 08:20:49 AM
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9928

Alpha Phases 1.0 started December 2013 (£200) includes expansion pass
Alpha Phase 2.0 started 4th of Feb 2014 (£200) includes expansion pass
Beta Phase Premium Beta (formally 1st beta) to start after Alpha has finished. (£100) includes expansion pass
Beta Phase Standard Beta (formally 2nd beta) to start after Premium Beta has finished. (£50)
Gamma Phase to start after Standard Beta has finished. (£35)
Commercial release end part of 2014

Snottus
February 12 2014, 09:51:33 AM
Oh, Star Citizen is full of possibilities just none of them have happened to manifest yet. :lol:

From what I understand, it is probably competing directly with SC/Squadron 42, as it boasts a dynamic instancing of players, but you can also opt out of online play all together (essentially single player). It apparently boasts online co-op play with an opt-out PvP system, so it sounds remarkable similar to SC (playing on a private server). It may achieve these goals in a different manner, however.

Gracias

Durzel
February 12 2014, 10:26:21 AM
Damn that's polished looking for an alpha.

If you didn't manually dock in the original Elite you can't call yourself a gamer.

RazoR
February 12 2014, 10:53:26 AM
I manually docked into ur mom.

Winged Nazgul
February 12 2014, 12:03:00 PM

If you didn't manually dock in the original Elite you can't call yourself a gamer.

FU - Blue Danube Waltz soothed all the rage from manual docking away.

Tailn
February 12 2014, 10:39:29 PM
Someone utilising stealth and evasion in practice. Looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvl7uaR1sfI

There is surprisingly a lot of cat and mouse in that chase, quite a bit less reliance on the targeting computer than I was expecting and more anticipating and controlling the other players actions. There could be a lot more to the pvp game.

TheManFromDelmonte
February 12 2014, 10:54:25 PM

Didn't auto pilot crash you into the walls half the time? Ah. Memories.

cerui
February 13 2014, 12:47:30 AM

Manually docked at full speed crew reporting in (mind you it took me awful lot of crashes to actually pull that off repeatedly, wonder if I can still do it). Funny thing is that when I had scrounged together the cash to buy a docking computer I didn't use it.

Steph
February 13 2014, 06:16:20 AM

Manually docked at full speed crew reporting in (mind you it took me awful lot of crashes to actually pull that off repeatedly, wonder if I can still do it). Funny thing is that when I had scrounged together the cash to buy a docking computer I didn't use it.

I have fond memories of the glitched Thargoid ship at the end of FFE.

You know, the one that has a cargo capacity of -127? And comes with no autopilot whatsoever?

Getting it back to civilization to install equipment was a hell of an adventure.

Lana Torrin
February 13 2014, 11:32:13 AM

Didn't auto pilot crash you into the walls half the time? Ah. Memories.

One of the few things I can say I did. I only had the autopilot splash me in to the dock once because after that I did everything myself.

I remember the hours and hours of scrolling the universe map around looking for jumps and then trying to work out if it was worth doing or not.

Steph
February 13 2014, 11:21:53 PM
I remember the hours and hours of scrolling the universe map around looking for jumps and then trying to work out if it was worth doing or not.

Ah yes I'd forgotten about that awful, awful starmap.

Universe is mapped in 3D? Check. Jump range is shown in 2D? Check.

Sandzibar
March 12 2014, 10:45:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MPP9uk08Uo

yay coriolis !

Mona
March 14 2014, 01:44:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey22m463104

Lowa [NSN]
March 14 2014, 10:11:47 PM

I honestly think that is the only thing that reduces my shame of not having been aware of this "remake".
How I, as being a poster child fan-boy of Elite and the reason I so lost myself in EVE at one time, have not kept up with this is nothing short of an epic failure. I dont eve know what to say...

Brb, ordering new game rig.

Tailn
March 14 2014, 10:49:57 PM
;1044019']

I honestly think that is the only thing that reduces my shame of not having been aware of this "remake".
How I, as being a poster child fan-boy of Elite and the reason I so lost myself in EVE at one time, have not kept up with this is nothing short of an epic failure. I dont eve know what to say...

You are terrible and as punishment you should go an buy Beta access now, I think that should cover quite a number of transgressions for this life (Although just pre ordering the basic game would be enough).

I am quite surprised that there seems to be no one around here who threw £200 to get alpha access though.

Sandzibar
March 15 2014, 12:18:04 AM
;1044019']

You are terrible and as punishment you should go an buy Beta access now, I think that should cover quite a number of transgressions for this life (Although just pre ordering the basic game would be enough).

I am quite surprised that there seems to be no one around here who threw £200 to get alpha access though.

Too busy spunking money stupidly on pie-in-the-sky dreams of Star Citizen I guess :p

Yet here's a tiny team with bugger all budget pushing out this Elite remake with exceptional quality from what it looks like so far.

helgur
March 15 2014, 01:11:57 AM

Unless you are filthy rich paying £200 for alpha access that will last a few weeks is insane

Lana Torrin
March 15 2014, 03:14:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey22m463104

I want this so much

QuackBot
March 15 2014, 04:00:14 AM
One of the few things I can say I did. I only had the autopilot splash me in to the dock once because after that I did everything myself.

Stop doing that me.

Sandzibar
March 15 2014, 12:40:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yZOspzznKg

loving the details.

Tailn
March 15 2014, 03:20:57 PM

Unless you are filthy rich paying £200 for alpha access that will last a few weeks is insane

yes that is the point, have you talked to the people round here there's always one.

Melichor
March 15 2014, 07:41:54 PM

yes that is the point, have you talked to the people round here there's always one.

Seeing as how many people bought how many ships for SC I'm surprised as well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

QuackBot
March 15 2014, 08:00:16 PM
;1044019]

In is the last season!

Hayes DuSid
March 16 2014, 08:13:42 PM

SC got to us with 'gimme money!' requests earlier. The people with any money floating around and a love of space sims...are broke.
This is true for me at least.

I put 100 pounds into Elite but that's it. It was quite enough. Second phase beta access.

Mona
March 16 2014, 09:32:19 PM
I might upgrade my standard beta, to premium.

Tailn
March 16 2014, 10:12:22 PM
I might upgrade my standard beta, to premium.

So far the only only issue I have with what I have seen of the game play and art direction is the guns, but then that is a side winder..

VARRAKK
March 17 2014, 09:07:49 AM

SC got to us with 'gimme money!' requests earlier. The people with any money floating around and a love of space sims...are broke.

I put 100 pounds into Elite but that's it. It was quite enough. Second phase beta access.

Now I don't know much how the game will play out.
But if they did it like SC, where you can pledge while getting ingame ships, I think they would have gotten way more money.
£100 for just a beta access is ask a lot.

Hayes DuSid
March 17 2014, 09:50:53 AM

But if they did it like SC, where you can pledge while getting ingame ships, I think they would have gotten way more money.

The thing that continues to annoy me is that the kickstarter backers are consistently getting a worse deal. If you pay 100 pounds now, you get first beta, if you did it during kickstarter, you get your name in the npc pool and a second one (I put Jolin's in) in the same pool and then second beta access.

Mona
March 17 2014, 10:38:09 AM
The thing that continues to annoy me is that the kickstarter backers are consistently getting a worse deal. If you pay 100 pounds now, you get first beta, if you did it during kickstarter, you get your name in the npc pool and a second one (I put Jolin's in) in the same pool and then second beta access.

Pledge £100 or more

1125 backers

Participate in the first round private beta test, plus all rewards above.

Hayes DuSid
March 17 2014, 02:09:29 PM

Pledge £100 or more

1125 backers

Participate in the first round private beta test, plus all rewards above.

Ahh, I see my error actually. It was 85 pounds that I pledged. 15 Pounds is for international delivery.

Helfix
March 17 2014, 06:51:22 PM

I doubt that though. Elite and SC are internet spaceship games, but they have a different approach to the genre and I think that is why there has been a different amount of money raised by the two companies.

Tailn
March 17 2014, 09:19:49 PM

I doubt that though. Elite and SC are internet spaceship games, but they have a different approach to the genre and I think that is why there has been a different amount of money raised by the two companies.

Elite has not promised much, other than the fact that it will have spaceships, trading and a procedurally generated universe while SC has promised every single thing all the nerds can dream about.
I expect Elite will sell a whole bunch of copies after release when we see what we are actually getting, at least there is very little chance of being disappointed by it.

Helfix
March 18 2014, 01:18:44 AM

Elite has not promised much, other than the fact that it will have spaceships, trading and a procedurally generated universe while SC has promised every single thing all the nerds can dream about.
I expect Elite will sell a whole bunch of copies after release when we see what we are actually getting, at least there is very little chance of being disappointed by it.

Oh yeah I agree, Elite never promised to be really in-depth, they promised the exact things you just mentioned. Their alpha footage/gameplay looks really polished and the game looks like its fun to play. I will certainly buy it once it comes out to support the genre and its something nice to play while SC comes out. On the other hand we have SC that has promised a lot of depth/things people have wanted in a spaceships genre. Personally, I have only set my expectations as high as Freelancer. As long as they are able to deliver that level of quality for me I will be a happy camper. But I think many people will be still disappointed by SC, as even I think CR has promised too much stuff in the pipeline to be feasible, especially the FPS aspect, I expect it to be shit.

Overall, its still win win for us Space Ship genre folks, we get two really good games coming out soon and there has been a multitude of smaller budget games currently going into development. I for one am pretty excited, given that the Space Ship genre has been basically none existent for the past 10 years, minus EvE.

RazoR
March 18 2014, 01:50:27 AM
Shit, a Freelancer with better gfx may be enough. There are people still onlining it up.

Hels
March 18 2014, 02:25:07 AM
Shit, a Freelancer with better gfx may be enough. There are people still onlining it up.

Varcaus
March 18 2014, 02:52:15 AM
I dunno at the start maybe but now they have promised a billion things on top of updated pretty freelancer.

Sandzibar
March 18 2014, 08:38:26 AM
Well Freelancer was pretty much next gen Elite, with MP. It would be nice if Braben can reclaim that crown (He is the godfather of the genre after all). At least until we see what becomes of SC.

Tailn
March 18 2014, 08:52:53 AM
I do worry that my autism is not strong enough to make me enjoy replaying elite as much as i did when i was 9, the gameplay was pretty shallow mostly made up with trying to find that perfect run that earns enough credits to fit the biggest upgrades to make shooting things easier everything else was just scenery (huge universe and planetary colour).
The subsequent games made it some what better frontier being in my opinion the best, I would like some talk about being able to affect the state of the universe a little and some open story arcs to draw us in different directions.

Mona
March 19 2014, 08:54:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6tahRbkaq8

Mona
March 30 2014, 08:56:03 PM
I'm not checking their forum very often, so it's getting higher and higher on my list (from number 2 to 1.2 :derper:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWsdBwKowLE

smagd
March 30 2014, 10:21:38 PM
Nice.. "Fly safe".. haha! And according to David "EVE is more like an executive game".

DaneJa
March 31 2014, 03:28:25 AM
I'm not checking their forum very often, so it's getting higher and higher on my list (from number 2 to 1.2 :derper:).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWsdBwKowLE

That song is from the Bastion soundtrack. I hope the ingame music is as good. This track fits pretty well, gives it that western/Firefly vibe.

It occurs to me I haven't yet pledge this one yet. I was just going to buy it once it comes out, but I suppose I might as well just preorder it now. I don't feel particularly inclined to test this one, but maybe I'll upgrade to beta later.

Edit: Fuck it, got the Standard Beta.

Sandzibar
March 31 2014, 08:58:42 AM
Expecting official score to be Blue Danube on loop. :D

Winged Nazgul
March 31 2014, 12:11:47 PM
There better be a nod to Blue Danube in the soundtrack or I will be dissapoint'

Mona
April 2 2014, 08:42:53 PM
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=89b597852e

The Alpha will soon be coming to an end as we prepare for the Premium Beta stage. There is one more phase of the Alpha to be released, covering travel and trading. We have always said we will give prior warning of the end of Alpha, and here it is: your last chance to join the Alpha will be April 25th. After this date we will stop taking Alpha orders.

For anyone still interested in joining the Alpha now but unsure if it is worth it for a short period of time before we start the Premium Beta - here are two fantastic reasons;
- As we move into the Beta process, all Premium and standard Beta builds will be given exclusively to the Alpha players first.
- Also, all Alpha players will be granted a life time discount of 50% on ship insurance in game as a thank you for your support!

trololol

Tailn
April 3 2014, 02:01:37 PM
http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=89b597852e

The Alpha will soon be coming to an end as we prepare for the Premium Beta stage. There is one more phase of the Alpha to be released, covering travel and trading. We have always said we will give prior warning of the end of Alpha, and here it is: your last chance to join the Alpha will be April 25th. After this date we will stop taking Alpha orders.

For anyone still interested in joining the Alpha now but unsure if it is worth it for a short period of time before we start the Premium Beta - here are two fantastic reasons;
- As we move into the Beta process, all Premium and standard Beta builds will be given exclusively to the Alpha players first.
- Also, all Alpha players will be granted a life time discount of 50% on ship insurance in game as a thank you for your support!

trololol

Fair enough Alpha was like £200, I know I wont be saying this when I am having to use cheaper ships to keep replacing them with the same frequency as some alpha douche.

Isyel
April 3 2014, 03:15:18 PM
Pay to win is acceptable as long as it's a kickstarter, proven again and again apparently.

:3

Helfix
April 3 2014, 10:32:15 PM
Well I don't think its a huge issue, I mean how many players are there currently in Alpha that dished out that 200 for access?

QuackBot
April 4 2014, 12:00:16 AM
Yeah that's assuming standard road bike with horizontal top tube, but the ones coming out of the blue.

Winged Nazgul
April 4 2014, 12:37:14 PM
Yeah that's assuming standard road bike with horizontal top tube, but the ones coming out of the blue.

Wrong thread, Quacky. This ain't the Cycling thread.

Rakshasa The Cat
April 4 2014, 03:14:46 PM

Every thread is a cycle thread in disguise.

Tailn
April 4 2014, 03:36:28 PM

Every thread is a cycle thread in disguise.

Ahh very philosophical, the same arguments, the same issues and the same mistakes shall for ever be made all we are doing is finding a new path to them with each new thread.

Mona
April 5 2014, 08:55:25 AM
Elite 4, better than Hulkageddon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ1oo8jr3-k

friznit
April 5 2014, 09:06:27 AM
"Controller friendly" interface in the fitting screen is painful. God I hate that in modern games. What happened to the perfectly good old drag and drop? And yet another fitting screen that has no easy stats comparison mode. Apart from that it looks amazing - I love how you can blow the bloody doors off to spill the cargo, even on something as small as an Anaconda.

Mona
April 5 2014, 09:46:50 AM
"Controller friendly" interface in the fitting screen is painful.

I prefer that to holotable in SC. But yeah, ftting is one thing I'd like them to steal from Eve.

QuackBot
April 5 2014, 12:00:18 PM

Fmar is 4 out of 4 strokes.

Itiken
April 5 2014, 02:55:17 PM
Oh fuck it have some of my money

Helfix
April 5 2014, 05:02:57 PM
Yeah, Elite is shaping up quite nicely, will definitely be buying on release, maybe even get into the beta, will think on that.

Edit: Fuck that, its $150 for Beta, might as well wait for release ;V

Meths
April 5 2014, 06:35:41 PM
I forgot i'd backed this !

Backed it for a standard beta which is nice, FUCK PREM beta.

Cosmin
April 7 2014, 03:51:47 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be coming out March 2014? oO

Mona
April 7 2014, 08:15:41 AM
Yes, supposed.

Tailn
April 7 2014, 03:06:04 PM
Wasn't this supposed to be coming out March 2014? oO

It did.. with the alpha.

Melichor
April 7 2014, 03:37:10 PM
I like the whole "delay game til finished" policy allowed since hopefully it will be preventing more full release betas that some companies think is acceptable

helgur
April 8 2014, 07:31:58 AM
Yeah, even if I am eagerly awaiting the beta release (as I have bought into that) I'm fine with them taking the time they need to get it done properly

Ashaz
April 8 2014, 08:32:07 AM

Fmar is 4 out of 4 strokes.

yea I agree. This looks like 4 out of 4 Fmars.

I am drooling.

(It's a good thing)

Ogron
April 8 2014, 09:39:48 AM
The Anaconda does seem a bit like a big fat target over your head. Don't get me wrong, pilot skill is paramount but seems a bit too easy to nab a lone miner in a belt.

Mona
April 8 2014, 10:38:37 AM
Isn't that their purpose?

Tailn
April 8 2014, 11:10:15 AM
The Anaconda does seem a bit like a big fat target over your head. Don't get me wrong, pilot skill is paramount but seems a bit too easy to nab a lone miner in a belt.

WTB wingmen in Kraits or vipers.

Mona
April 10 2014, 12:22:33 PM
Premium beta will start on May 30.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-10-elite-dangerous-premium-beta-dated-entry-costs-100

Winged Nazgul
April 10 2014, 03:19:24 PM
Premium beta will start today.

FYP

QuackBot
April 10 2014, 04:00:22 PM
I like the whole "delay game til finished" policy allowed since hopefully it will be preventing more full release betas that some companies think is acceptable

Keeves are you really trying to tell us that we are not allowed to do that.

Mona
April 10 2014, 05:22:49 PM
Premium beta will start today.

FYP

Yeah, in May will be mp beta, now it's sp.

Anyway, I finally broken, went to buy alpha access... no discount. fffffuuuuuu

Mona
April 11 2014, 08:53:59 AM
Failed at joystick configuration. :shitshit:

Winged Nazgul
April 11 2014, 02:45:18 PM
Failed at joystick configuration. :shitshit:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/11/elite-dangerous-best-joystick/

Paradox
April 11 2014, 05:09:36 PM
Am I going to have to write another essay on joysticks?

I wrote a long post on them in the star citizen thread probably more than a year ago about what joysticks are appropriate for what type of game.

The X-52 pro is nowhere near the top of my list for this type of game.

Source: someone that knows things about joysticks.

Post Script: Get a logitech 3d pro or a t.16000m or a t-flight hotas. You've already bankrupt from paying for the beta so use a budget stick that isn't sloppy and doesn't have terrible potentiometers.

Hels
April 11 2014, 05:14:10 PM
X-52 is shit.

Don't be a faggot, go with Thrustmaster.

Mona
April 11 2014, 05:17:29 PM
But Internet says, Warthog is hard and not realy good for precise targetting. Also has no twist handle.

Hels
April 11 2014, 05:18:58 PM
But Internet says, Warthog is hard and not realy good for precise targetting. Also has no twist handle.

Pedals, and get a stronger wrist.

Paradox
April 11 2014, 06:23:33 PM
If you want to play DCS (and you do), you should get a proper stick. You don't need a proper stick for Elite: Dangerous.

You probably won't even want a separate throttle since there's never any reason not to be at full throttle the whole time.

Mona
April 11 2014, 06:29:23 PM
Except when you want to het better turning.

Keckers
April 11 2014, 07:13:45 PM

I'm sure FHC can share effective wrist strengthening exercises if you need help with it.

friznit
April 11 2014, 07:16:49 PM
I suspect this is likely to be one of those console controller games, or otherwise 'HOTAM' - Throttle and Mouse for best twitch aim and 6DOF control. Either way I'm likely to be terrible and stick to hiding like a girl.

QuackBot
April 11 2014, 08:00:15 PM
FYP
Fyp and also most frigates don't have the fitting space for a prop mod.

Torashuu
April 11 2014, 08:04:01 PM

Because he's right. Especially because hog spring is so stiff its easier to use for precise targeting. Its worse for rapidly slamming the stick all over. I'm a 67kg 1.83m weak ass nerd and I have no trouble with the hog for rapid motions.

Paradox
April 11 2014, 11:25:46 PM
I suspect this is likely to be one of those console controller games, or otherwise 'HOTAM' - Throttle and Mouse for best twitch aim and 6DOF control. Either way I'm likely to be terrible and stick to hiding like a girl.

I never worked out the logistics of doing that, I gather that it's one of the better ways to play war thunder but I've only got one right hand.

Except when you want to het better turning.

both the 3d pro and t.16000m have throttles on the base unit, that way you just don't have to press a separate throttle unit down to the table all the time to go at the speed you'll be going 95% of the time.

If you're at full throttle on an X-52, reaching the controls on the front of the throttle unit is much less convenient than having a keyboard there full of controls.

My advice is to either get a 3d pro or a Warthog. And if you get a Warthog then you become an honourary member of the 88th VFS and will fly A-10s as it was foretold in the book of quack.

Meths
April 12 2014, 10:37:53 AM
I still have this old beauty,bought it about ten years ago, its abit dusty :D

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc404/drillholes/411D1YDYAAL_zpsd83e898d.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/drillholes/media/411D1YDYAAL_zpsd83e898d.jpg.html)

CDLoon
April 17 2014, 09:05:50 AM
Did anyone other than me get the Premium Beta ?

Mona
April 17 2014, 09:40:49 AM

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc404/drillholes/411D1YDYAAL_zpsd83e898d.jpg (http://s1210.photobucket.com/user/drillholes/media/411D1YDYAAL_zpsd83e898d.jpg.html)

I have Cyborg Fly5 since tuesday.

Fucking hate shitek since then.

Hels
April 17 2014, 10:28:29 AM
Lel.

Paradox
April 17 2014, 11:11:28 AM

I have Cyborg Fly5 since tuesday.

Fucking hate shitek since then.

Now imagine how the people who bought an X-52 feel.

Meths
April 17 2014, 04:27:46 PM

Yes i succumbed and bought it .
As i was already on standard beta only cost me £50.

Thought fuck! it ive been waiting for this game for 20 years.

Skeptic
April 17 2014, 04:33:38 PM
I have been to the future and all the spaceships were controlled with mouse and keyboard.

Hayes DuSid
April 19 2014, 06:26:06 PM

Yes i succumbed and bought it .
As i was already on standard beta only cost me £50.

Thought fuck! it ive been waiting for this game for 20 years.

And now I got it too.

Though it'll take a while before I actually play anything.

Lallante
April 22 2014, 09:19:22 AM
Does this FEEL like the original Elite (or frontier?)

Mona
April 22 2014, 10:22:45 AM
I played very little of Frontier (been fucked by DRM) and this one only few combat scenarios.

Combat is nothing like Frontier. IIRC it was like playes's ship in F was really newtonian, while AI's could fly circles around you. And all fights took place enroute from warping point to station or planet.

In E:D both ships are newtonian and fight is most similar to Indenpedence War 2 (I haven't played Diaspora yet). All scenarios are in empty space or in very dense asteroid field and ships starts quite close from each other.

I also turned off fligt assist for like 5 seconds and ended flying backwards and spinning on like 5 difrent axes.
10/10, would turn off again (after cleaning my cockpit).

firefoxx80
April 24 2014, 02:03:50 PM

I got into it as well.

xBox 360 controller works quite well. One analog stick for pitch/yaw, the other for up/down/left/right, and then shoulder buttons for throttle. But, it's definitely one of those games with more buttons than fingers.

Dante80
April 26 2014, 10:25:04 AM
"Controller friendly" interface in the fitting screen is painful. God I hate that in modern games. What happened to the perfectly good old drag and drop? And yet another fitting screen that has no easy stats comparison mode.

Anything you see in station GUI right now is a placeholder. Here are a couple of conceptual designs (for example, star system map and a commodity page).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Il1CX0eTyMc/UdwO-WzMJEI/AAAAAAAAI7E/pRQiQ_pXWA0/s1600/Elite+4+starmap.png
http://dobrijzmej.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Hydrogen_015.jpg

Mona
April 26 2014, 09:15:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPRZXxnNDNc

Dante80
April 28 2014, 08:56:19 AM
Here is another one. Port Zelada up close, with the original Elite docking music. Definitely watch the end, its worth it...XD

http://youtu.be/bc701grtjf8

Dante80
May 1 2014, 04:38:49 PM
Bump and a lunatic flying around where he is NOT supposed to...

The Zelada Home Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJDQE3jjBCk

Impeccable Stunts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1c9I80Rsac

Frug
May 2 2014, 07:10:58 PM
Here is another one. Port Zelada up close, with the original Elite docking music. Definitely watch the end, its worth it...XD

How do you have the patience to sit through 10 minutes of that?

Paradox
May 2 2014, 08:11:06 PM

How do you have the patience to sit through 10 minutes of that?

He's a space captain.

Synapse
May 2 2014, 08:24:44 PM

Skipped to the end. Wasn't worth it.

Dante80
May 10 2014, 12:01:14 PM
Newsletter #22 is out. Some nice lore, more in-engine pics and a first peak of the I Bootis system which we are testing in alpha 4..C:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=f72c0f91b2

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Dante80/bellycancer/Screenshot_0143_zps9a281db1.jpg~original

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Dante80/bellycancer/Screenshot_0066_zps4a676432.jpg~original

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Dante80/bellycancer/peek_of_the_week_31_zps84120198.jpg~original

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Dante80/bellycancer/I_BOOTIS_zpsd79b4c04.jpg~original

This is shaping up really nicely...C:

Pacefalm
May 14 2014, 02:36:41 AM
I hope it will be great

Helfix
May 14 2014, 03:53:32 AM
I hope it will be great

Well, so far I am enjoying the combat (yeah I caved in fuuu)

QuackBot
May 14 2014, 04:00:13 AM
Skipped to the end. Wasn't worth it.
My behaviour hasn't changed compared to when i wasn't.

Ben Derindar
May 15 2014, 10:16:22 AM
Was planning to wait till standard beta, but caved and bought the premium beta yesterday. Game looks and sounds great, but I'm struggling to settle to settle on mouse controls that suit me. I wish they had different sensitivity levels for pitch vs roll.

Dante80
May 15 2014, 08:04:39 PM
Alpha 4 is out on schedule.

Patch notes

Alpha 4 is now available from the Frontier Store, make sure that you have the latest client. Here's a high level change log and as with previous phases please make sure to log any bugs you find through the support tickets.

Travel

Navigation panel improvements
Systems, stellar bodies and “points of interest” are now sorted in a hierarchy, with location type indicated by different icons.
Players can initiate hyperspace directly from the Navigation panel by selecting a system in the hierarchy

Hyperspace

Players will now see the full hyperspace sequence when choosing to jump between locations
As well as using the navigation panel to hyperspace, the player can also initiate a jump by using a keyboard command, default mapped to “J”
Players need to retract hardpoints/landing gear/cargo scoop, align to the destination target and throttle up to finalize the jump
Arriving from a hyperspace jump will leave the ship in super cruise

Super Cruise

Super cruise allows players to travel across a system at superluminal speeds
While in super cruise, players can see and lock onto markers for stellar bodies and “points of interest” in the system
Entering and exiting super cruise is mapped by default to “C” on the keyboard
Players need to retract hardpoints/landing gear/cargo scoop and throttle up engage super cruise
When coming into range of a locked super cruise target, the display in the bottom left of the cockpit display will indicate when it’s safe to disengage
Approaching too close to a stellar body will mass-lock the player, dropping their ship from super cruise
To escape mass-lock from a stellar body players should point their ship away from it when engaging super cruise

Interdiction

Players may be intercepted and pulled out of super cruise by AI ships.
Ships met after interdiction may or may not be hostile

Galaxy Map

Players can now explore the entire galaxy via the Galaxy Map, accessed from the in-game navigation panel.
View data on each system including Allegiance, economy, star type, etc.
Search for star systems by name
Colour map by population, government, faction and economy
Options to show trade routes and star constellations

Trading

Each Star Port now has a commodities market where you can trade a selection of goods.
Prices in each market are influenced by the local economy and reflect current supply and demand.

New Locations

5 Star Ports from 3 different factions
Federation –I Bootis, Dahan
Independent – Asellus Primus, Eranin
Anarchy – LP 98-132
Numerous new scenarios scattered around the Alpha 4.0 systems which demonstrate a variety of possible gameplay situations

Night Sky

Added suns, gas giants and planet rings
Space background now generated from real galaxy map data

New Playable Ships

Anaconda
Eagle
Lakon Type 9
Some ships only available in certain locations

New equipment

Class 8 Plasma Accelerator
Class 6 Burst Laser Turret
Class 6 Fixed Cannon
Class 6 Fixed Beam Laser
The equipment available is now dependent on the current Star Port, so certain items will only be available in certain locations

Other improvements

Turret weapons can now operate in multiple different modes, and can also defend against incoming missiles
Various AI improvements including ability to collect cargo, fleeing into hyperspace, etc.

Tune in, Kerash is in

http://www.twitch.tv/kerrashlanding

Lave Radio livestream starts shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcUMU3miXLs

<3

Dante80
May 15 2014, 09:57:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVbyUAwkmk

Straight Hustlin
May 15 2014, 10:12:49 PM

damn, i'm pretty swoon now, dem sound fx hnnngg

Paradox
May 15 2014, 11:13:53 PM
Oh man, throttle up to engage hyperdrive. That is some sweet use of a HOTAS throttle.

I take back what I said about HOTAS being overkill for this type of game. Everyone should get a Warthog immediately.

Helfix
May 16 2014, 01:09:54 AM

damn, i'm pretty swoon now, dem sound fx hnnngg

You should see videos of how when you approach an asteroid field or a similar object from fast travel, it pulls you into it, quite amazing.

Alex Caine
May 16 2014, 06:08:42 AM
Looks....so....good. HNNNNG.

QuackBot
May 16 2014, 08:00:13 AM
Tune in, Kerash is in

<3
[Img]http://dotabuff.com/3.

Tailn
May 16 2014, 08:16:34 AM
Alpha 4 is out on schedule.

Patch notes

Alpha 4 is now available from the Frontier Store, make sure that you have the latest client. Here's a high level change log and as with previous phases please make sure to log any bugs you find through the support tickets.

Travel

Navigation panel improvements
Systems, stellar bodies and “points of interest” are now sorted in a hierarchy, with location type indicated by different icons.
Players can initiate hyperspace directly from the Navigation panel by selecting a system in the hierarchy

Hyperspace

Players will now see the full hyperspace sequence when choosing to jump between locations
As well as using the navigation panel to hyperspace, the player can also initiate a jump by using a keyboard command, default mapped to “J”
Players need to retract hardpoints/landing gear/cargo scoop, align to the destination target and throttle up to finalize the jump
Arriving from a hyperspace jump will leave the ship in super cruise

Super Cruise

Super cruise allows players to travel across a system at superluminal speeds
While in super cruise, players can see and lock onto markers for stellar bodies and “points of interest” in the system
Entering and exiting super cruise is mapped by default to “C” on the keyboard
Players need to retract hardpoints/landing gear/cargo scoop and throttle up engage super cruise
When coming into range of a locked super cruise target, the display in the bottom left of the cockpit display will indicate when it’s safe to disengage
Approaching too close to a stellar body will mass-lock the player, dropping their ship from super cruise
To escape mass-lock from a stellar body players should point their ship away from it when engaging super cruise

Interdiction

Players may be intercepted and pulled out of super cruise by AI ships.
Ships met after interdiction may or may not be hostile

Galaxy Map

Players can now explore the entire galaxy via the Galaxy Map, accessed from the in-game navigation panel.
View data on each system including Allegiance, economy, star type, etc.
Search for star systems by name
Colour map by population, government, faction and economy
Options to show trade routes and star constellations

Trading

Each Star Port now has a commodities market where you can trade a selection of goods.
Prices in each market are influenced by the local economy and reflect current supply and demand.

New Locations

5 Star Ports from 3 different factions
Federation –I Bootis, Dahan
Independent – Asellus Primus, Eranin
Anarchy – LP 98-132
Numerous new scenarios scattered around the Alpha 4.0 systems which demonstrate a variety of possible gameplay situations

Night Sky

Added suns, gas giants and planet rings
Space background now generated from real galaxy map data

New Playable Ships

Anaconda
Eagle
Lakon Type 9
Some ships only available in certain locations

New equipment

Class 8 Plasma Accelerator
Class 6 Burst Laser Turret
Class 6 Fixed Cannon
Class 6 Fixed Beam Laser
The equipment available is now dependent on the current Star Port, so certain items will only be available in certain locations

Other improvements

Turret weapons can now operate in multiple different modes, and can also defend against incoming missiles
Various AI improvements including ability to collect cargo, fleeing into hyperspace, etc.

Tune in, Kerash is in

<3

A space sim game from a british dev that looks pretty and is on schedule, what has happened to the world I was starting to understand.

Lallante
May 16 2014, 09:24:57 AM
This is actually really shaping up, it already has about 2/3 of the features of its predecessor Frontier: Elite.

Who would have thought, focussing on core gameplay and mechanics rather than shiny shit, inflight toilets and bolt ons would result in a better game*cough*SC*cough

Itiken
May 16 2014, 09:32:51 AM
Caved in and bought the 50 quid beta pack.
Tick tock

Tailn
May 16 2014, 09:34:11 AM
This is actually really shaping up, it already has about 2/3 of the features of its predecessor Frontier: Elite.

Who would have thought, focussing on core gameplay and mechanics rather than shiny shit, inflight toilets and bolt ons would result in a better game*cough*SC*cough

Nah it just results in a quicker to relase game that is not as extensible and as they add stuff in down the line the code gets messier and less maintainable.

both have positives and right now it means that we get a game soon and another one later, seems to work out really well for the consumers.

Is the Premium Beta available at the end of the month? and does anyone know if you already have the basic game does adding a more expensive package replace it (pay the difference) or is it a separate product.
Tempted esp as the Premium includes all future content (a seperate £35 purchase)

Hels
May 16 2014, 11:57:43 AM
I have the same question as I also have the base game.

And is there multiplayer yet

Hayes DuSid
May 16 2014, 02:40:32 PM
If you contact their support and ask for a voucher code as you wish to upgrade, they give you a voucher code to upgrade your access.

Multiplayer is absolutely in, yes.

Hels, if you want, I can mail you my details for this. I have access and I'm not playing it at all.
Archeage has stolen my free time entirely.

I actually don't want to see this game develop, it looks so good, I want to be awed by the final product all at once.

Tailn
May 16 2014, 03:27:35 PM
If you contact their support and ask for a voucher code as you wish to upgrade, they give you a voucher code to upgrade your access.

Multiplayer is absolutely in, yes.

Hels, if you want, I can mail you my details for this. I have access and I'm not playing it at all.
Archeage has stolen my free time entirely.

I actually don't want to see this game develop, it looks so good, I want to be awed by the final product all at once.

Thanks for the info Hayes, thats also my main reason for not wanting to upgrade just opening up the finished product looks like it will be very enjoyable.

Helfix
May 16 2014, 04:25:25 PM
I have the same question as I also have the base game.

And is there multiplayer yet

Yeah, the Alpha has had multiplayer for a while now, the Alpha 4 looks awesome, I get to play in two more weeks as I am in Prem Beta :(....

Show me where SC has touched you.

Trindermon
May 16 2014, 05:37:18 PM
Show me where SC has touched you.

Probably in that place a million years ago when roberts promised an awful lot of good shit, and what we got was freelancer, whilst freelancer was a fine game, it actually achieved very little of what he promised. (really trolling about this in this thread is fucking bad form on my part so accept my apologies - but to hear how people talk about freelancer now, i wonder if they were really around and in to spaceship games when it was released - not aimed at you specifically).

That said, i really hope SC is a great game, i am backing it - Wing commander was one of my all time favourite franchises.

I love the features in ED however, like the ones that are already there and in; Interdiction, Heat play for stealth, and the fact its in the milky-way :-) Really is a fucking awesome time to be a space game fan. :-)

I am slightly concerned that DB isn't managing peoples expectations of the multi-player however, my understanding is that it is multi-player rather than massively so, and utilises some peer to peer functionality; currently that hooks to a master server to tell you who you should make a connection with. Really not sure how robust that will be with lots of people playing or game sizes or whatever; so that's my only worry. Also, gotta worry about the "cheating bastards" type of people, that said perhaps i am worry to much about this at the moment.

Do like that you can play off line though and just enjoy yourself in the elite universe, looks like elite will finally give me what i wanted out of the Xuniverse for so long; proper economy but with good flight mechanics, good physics and the ability to invite my buddy's along for the ride.

Bombcrater
May 16 2014, 10:34:39 PM
Nothing about the problems surrounding SC surprises me really. It's Chris Roberts, he's an ideas guy with next to no talent at large scale game development. I backed SC on the expectation that Roberts would repeat every mistake he made with Freelancer, but this time there'd probably be enough money that 4 or 5 years down the road we may actually get a finished game that resembles the core of what he's been promising.

I expected ED to have a much less painful birth because David Braben has a shit-ton of experience developing games on time and to budget because otherwise the bills don't get paid. But I'm still amazed what they've done in such a short time.

DaneJa
May 16 2014, 11:08:36 PM

Nah it just results in a quicker to relase game that is not as extensible and as they add stuff in down the line the code gets messier and less maintainable.

both have positives and right now it means that we get a game soon and another one later, seems to work out really well for the consumers.

Is the Premium Beta available at the end of the month? and does anyone know if you already have the basic game does adding a more expensive package replace it (pay the difference) or is it a separate product.
Tempted esp as the Premium includes all future content (a seperate £35 purchase)

According to the email newsletter they sent out today:

Premium Beta Countdown

Premium Beta players can play TODAY!

You can immediately download and play a Single Player Combat build today before this and start practicing your Sidewinder skills.

We are now T-minus 14 days away from the release of the Premium Beta where you will be able to experience for the first time all the excitement of the Alpha and more – join us today!

Don’t forget you can upgrade from any pre-order purchase to Premium Beta – just checkout with the Premium Beta in your shopping cart and the correct discount will automatically be applied

Helfix
May 17 2014, 12:33:36 AM
Nothing about the problems surrounding SC surprises me really. It's Chris Roberts, he's an ideas guy with next to no talent at large scale game development. I backed SC on the expectation that Roberts would repeat every mistake he made with Freelancer, but this time there'd probably be enough money that 4 or 5 years down the road we may actually get a finished game that resembles the core of what he's been promising.

I expected ED to have a much less painful birth because David Braben has a shit-ton of experience developing games on time and to budget because otherwise the bills don't get paid. But I'm still amazed what they've done in such a short time.

Yeah, I mean the only reason I backed him was because of how much fun I had with Freelancer, I know fully well what was promised and what we got from Freelancer, but then again, he was also just there as a "Advisor" half way through Freelancer development as he sold his company Digital Anvil to Microsoft. I mean as long as he delivers me an updated GFX Freelancer, I will be quite damn happy.

As for ED, I did not back it from the start because I never played any of David's past games, but over time as people started to put up footage of the Alpha and all the cool little things, I backed him as well. I am enjoying the game quite a bit now, even though the game won't be as hand crafted as SC will be, it is a lot of damn fun, especially the combat.

Hayes DuSid
May 17 2014, 01:39:47 AM
Heh. They changed the system as soon as I post how I did it.

Thanks Dane for the update.

QuackBot
May 17 2014, 04:00:15 AM
Heh. They changed the system as soon as I post how I did it.

Thanks Dane for the update.
Heh, it's the first time i was in college.

Dante80
May 18 2014, 07:32:40 AM
Some more information..

Newsletter 23 is out.
http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=dcbf6b86b4b0c7d1c21b73b1e&id=d9e6b2724b

It has a nice model render for the Orbis type station coming in the beta.

http://elite.frontier.co.uk/images/newsletter_2014_05_16/Orbis_online.jpg

Also, some screenshots from the alpha4.

Dahan Gateway
http://i.imgur.com/FTUmT9y.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n221/MajorSqueeze/Elite%20Dangerous%20Alpha%204/EliteDangerous_140516_1028411_zps4431575f.jpg
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-station-ads-3_zpsf41f7be0.png

Lakon Type 9
http://i.imgur.com/Z4SvUvt.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57243855/ED/Screenshot_0001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57243855/ED/Screenshot_0004.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57243855/ED/Screenshot_0006.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57243855/ED/Screenshot_0010.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/jubz0i.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/23r1eeu.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/25kmvpw.jpg
http://www.mikelowndes.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-17-12.03.22.jpg

Maher
http://i61.tinypic.com/2pqwg8h.jpg

I Bootis B & C binary
http://i57.tinypic.com/fwuj3o.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2uyomj8.jpg

Home Sweet Home
http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y351/MikeSnos/Screenshot_0007_zpse987c98f.png

Beagle 2
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n221/MajorSqueeze/Elite%20Dangerous%20Alpha%204/EliteDangerous_140516_1017533_zpsc89186a6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Q9HpIvw.jpg
http://oi59.tinypic.com/2n19jrd.jpg
http://www.mikelowndes.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-17-18.07.07.jpg
http://www.mikelowndes.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-17-17.34.27.jpg

Chango
http://www.mikelowndes.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Screenshot-2014-05-17-15.04.26.jpg

Anaconda Bridge
http://elite.frontier.co.uk/images/newsletter_2014_05_16/Hyperspace_02_online.jpg

Ready for Hyperspace
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n221/MajorSqueeze/Elite%20Dangerous%20Alpha%204/EliteDangerous_140516_1020181_zpsb7443220.jpg

Hathor in Dahan system. Some shots of the rings and it's moon Coltan.
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-shepherd-moon_zps074c212f.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-shepherd-moon-2_zpsc40f76ea.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-rings_zpsf3890374.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-rings-2_zpsf33ad87c.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-rings-3_zps3edf6fb2.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-rings-4_zps76dff543.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-rings-6_zps7bb09fcd.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-rings-7_zps16ee7a46.png
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg522/frobitz/ed-rings-8_zps6b3b2dc8.png
http://oi60.tinypic.com/2igks9u.jpg
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2pyoxp0.jpg

Maher Prime
http://i.imgur.com/77vc4NM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/w1OftvN.jpg

And some videos from the community

Hyperspace Supercruise and the Starmap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEDY7qix03I

Scott Manley preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q04axMTIIO8

A trade Run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyvhmugm65Q

The three new ships in alpha4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmoWyCxF1CM

Paradox
May 18 2014, 08:11:52 AM
hnnnnngg

Durzel
May 18 2014, 08:48:50 AM
Holy shit this is fast becoming more than I dared hope for.

Dante80
May 18 2014, 08:55:41 AM
If only those fuckers hadn't derped so bad with the KS campaign. Not only they launched without a single picture (yo DB here, all your cash are belong to us) thus disenchanting a lot of space nerds like me, but the retarded tiers they put there trickle down now to the beta process, making early access for premium beta a 150$ affair to not alienate their KS backers.

I have backed with a modest sum in the kickstarter campaign because Elite was one of the first games I ever played and I have spent tens of thousands hours in Elite, FE2, FFE, FFE3D and Oolite these last 30 years.

Having said that, I will not support an alpha/beta phase process that requires a ridiculous monetary sum for early access. You are essentially paying a lot of money to be a tester, that always felt wrong with me.

I understand why FD is doing that (you don't pay for access as a right, but as a priviledge for supporting the game financially), and I think its far better for the games' development process (the DDF archive is indicative of both the communication and development fusion process that Frontier Developments is sharing actively with their backers. Hell, the frame shift drive concept was essentially a player generated mechanic).

I also understand that they want to limit the number of testers so as to reduce feedback clutter and entitlement. Its a good strategy, but setting an economic barrier for it is not something I would support.

ps: doesn't the eagle cockpit look a little like the hornet?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Dante80/bellycancer/17-May-1422-48-56_zps2af37512.png

Voulture
May 18 2014, 11:54:40 AM
Positing so I am up to date. Damn, it looks so nice.

Dante80
May 18 2014, 12:02:29 PM
btw. the system map is not implemented yet. Here is a rough preview of the systems that are in alpha 4 (click for full view)

http://i.imgur.com/ds51RQDl.jpg (http://imgur.com/ds51RQD)

http://i.imgur.com/kAMBFsPl.jpg (http://imgur.com/kAMBFsP)

http://i.imgur.com/dMtjTr1l.jpg (http://imgur.com/dMtjTr1)

http://i.imgur.com/gnNuGEwl.jpg (http://imgur.com/gnNuGEw)

http://i.imgur.com/gzm09t6l.jpg (http://imgur.com/gzm09t6)

The end concept is for them to look somewhat like this:

http://i.imgur.com/zXHIijQl.png (http://imgur.com/zXHIijQ)

rufuske
May 18 2014, 01:28:44 PM
If only those fuckers hadn't derped so bad with the KS campaign. Not only they launched without a single picture (yo DB here, all your cash are belong to us) thus disenchanting a lot of space nerds like me, but the retarded tiers they put there trickle down now to the beta process, making early access for premium beta a 150$ affair to not alienate their KS backers.

I have backed with a modest sum in the kickstarter campaign because Elite was one of the first games I ever played and I have spent tens of thousands hours in Elite, FE2, FFE, FFE3D and Oolite these last 30 years.

Having said that, I will not support an alpha/beta phase process that requires a ridiculous monetary sum for early access. You are essentially paying a lot of money to be a tester, that always felt wrong with me.

I understand why FD is doing that (you don't pay for access as a right, but as a priviledge for supporting the game financially), and I think its far better for the games' development process (the DDF archive is indicative of both the communication and development fusion process that Frontier Developments is sharing actively with their backers. Hell, the frame shift drive concept was essentially a player generated mechanic).

I also understand that they want to limit the number of testers so as to reduce feedback clutter and entitlement. Its a good strategy, but setting an economic barrier for it is not something I would support.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/Dante80/bellycancer/17-May-1422-48-56_zps2af37512.png

I may sound a little bit elitist (badoom, tish) but in the end it worked perfectly cause all the 'ooooh shiny' crowd went to support SC and is not generating retarded feature requests etc here.
Let Braben do what he does best. Also I will rage if they will post Thargoid screenshots. Put them ingame but deny their existence and let players find them. I want my days of trying to find Mirage back.

Buying it as soon as it hits retail.

Rakshasa The Cat
May 18 2014, 01:30:31 PM

As soon as on Mac.

Mona
May 18 2014, 03:37:09 PM

As soon as on Mac.

As soon as it's on Kickstarter.

Sandzibar
May 18 2014, 05:02:51 PM

Pretty much your standard Sci Fi cockpit design tbh.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-cqvTz9yd3J0/UkddMy49saI/AAAAAAAAABY/HjLSEd6RFMs/s1600/HD_ScreenCap.jpg

http://darthmojo.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/403_cockpit.jpg

Dante80
May 18 2014, 05:19:30 PM
Yep, you are right, its those two bars in the windscreen that made me feel that.

In other news, Mighty Jingles is a Venture Capitalist...C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyMAOZg8ds

helgur
May 18 2014, 08:41:07 PM
Yep, you are right, its those two bars in the windscreen that made me feel that.

In other news, Mighty Jingles is a Venture Capitalist...C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcyMAOZg8ds

http://i.imgur.com/IQtCyLl.gif

Lallante
May 19 2014, 10:34:41 AM
Top question - why would a future space-fighter have a windscreen?

Ashaz
May 19 2014, 10:48:58 AM
I've said it before but I have to say it again. The sound in this game. ooooh it gives me the shivers. :D

Sandzibar
May 19 2014, 11:08:46 AM
Top question - why would a future space-fighter have a windscreen?

Because everything sci-fi fighter orientated has its origins firmly rooted in WW2-esqe air combat.

Because fights within visual range of a target are more fun to watch.
Because it stems from a time before people could imagine that you could use LCDs and cameras to replicate the functionality of a pane of glass.

Basically, tradition.

Tailn
May 19 2014, 11:30:59 AM
[Spoiler]

According to the email newsletter they sent out today:

Premium Beta Countdown

Premium Beta players can play TODAY!

You can immediately download and play a Single Player Combat build today before this and start practicing your Sidewinder skills.

We are now T-minus 14 days away from the release of the Premium Beta where you will be able to experience for the first time all the excitement of the Alpha and more – join us today!

Don’t forget you can upgrade from any pre-order purchase to Premium Beta – just checkout with the Premium Beta in your shopping cart and the correct discount will automatically be applied

The questions for me now are
a) £35 and not worry about future updates (will that be worth while or will there only ever be £35 of updates).
b) Is £30 worth it for ~2 months extra gameplay?

Also do i need to eat for the rest of the month.

Thanks for the info DaneJa.

Dante80
May 19 2014, 02:31:26 PM
Well, here is my take on it. Right now, the game is under full development. That means that most of the feature set is not installed yet, the game is unbalanced, unoptimized, a mere shadow of what FD are telling us it will be.

The only reason for paying the premium now for an unfinished game is if you want to take an active part in the development process. You cannot view this as an early access thingy..since the game is really bare bones now, and its also not actually cheap..on the contrary. If FD really wanted to have many testers or to provide true early access, I am willing to be that they wouldn't have kept those insane prices. Its more like a filter to separate masochists that want to contribute from people that want to just play nao.

So, wait until the premium beta comes in the 30th and if the game looks better and richer, decide then. ;)

In other news,..I just bought premium beta. FML.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaLEb0Ruzk

Tailn
May 19 2014, 02:43:38 PM
Pretty much decided over lunch to hold of until release or the number of people here playing hits critical mass*, and then if it is any good to spend the extra on buying copies for a couple of friends.

*enough frothing and people online enough to bitch with / shoot

QuackBot
May 19 2014, 04:00:11 PM
I've said it before but I have to say it again. The sound in this game. ooooh it gives me the shivers. :D
But the game will still suck.

Kraken
May 19 2014, 04:05:45 PM
But the game will still suck.

fuckyou bot. you will suck this game.
/em wants game to be good because wants to buy

Bombcrater
May 19 2014, 04:07:27 PM
In other news,..I just bought premium beta. FML.
Heh, me too. Kept saying I wouldn't but the addition of trading and system jumps pushed me into paying up.

morpheps
May 19 2014, 04:23:41 PM
So let me see if I have understood. If you haven't backed the Kickstarter, it's $150 to get in the premium beta right now, and all you get over retail is immediate access to the beta? No blinky shiny ships at launch or monocles or some shit?

Mona
May 19 2014, 04:26:21 PM
Stuppid alpha keeps deleting my settings if I use keyboard.

Voulture
May 19 2014, 05:24:01 PM
So, people who are already playing how good is this game? Especially from perspective of someone who enjoyed predecessor :P

Bombcrater
May 19 2014, 06:17:30 PM
So let me see if I have understood. If you haven't backed the Kickstarter, it's $150 to get in the premium beta right now, and all you get over retail is immediate access to the beta? No blinky shiny ships at launch or monocles or some shit?
Beta doesn't start until the end of this month, so if you buy access right now you get the old single-player 'combat test' build to play with.

Not sure what you actually get besides that, beta access and free expansion packs. Premium beta access used to come with a bunch of extras; a t-shirt, soundtrack, extra starting options and ships for the full game, etc. Dunno if it still does. I get those anyway because I bought standard beta access during the Kickstarter days and just did an upgrade to the premium beta.

morpheps
May 19 2014, 06:38:13 PM
Kk. Will the price drop once beta starts?

Shiodome
May 19 2014, 06:39:55 PM
i want this so bad. elite and lemmings are my earliest gaming memories, and on reflection i learnt a surprising amount from them... if you'd sat me down as a kid and tried to teach me basic economics and physics i'd never had the attention span, but eve did it np. give it to me, give it to me now.

Helfix
May 19 2014, 07:57:27 PM
Kk. Will the price drop once beta starts?

Probably not because that would upset all the Kickstarter/Premium Beta people.

Thoemse
May 19 2014, 08:18:31 PM
Well ofc i will. Normal beta is cheaper then premium beta.
They sure as hell wont make premium beta cheaper a few weeks in though.
That would be a big "fuck you" to the paying prem beta crowd.

I think i will wait for the release. I hate wipes.

Dante80
May 19 2014, 08:55:31 PM

For 150$ you get the game (valued at 50$ as a pre-order/launch price), an expansion pack (valued at 50$) and access to the games development. No perks.

Itiken
May 19 2014, 09:14:59 PM
How feasible is space combat going to be with a Joypad, or jsutplain old K+M? (Probably PvE only) I'm far too old, bad and gerneally uninterested in being #1 to be dropping a hundred squids on some blinged out n dimensional controller i'll use for 2 months.

being able to chill on my sofa and fly a sidewinder though - hnnnnggggggg

helgur
May 19 2014, 09:31:02 PM
I seem to remember the kickstarter thing included some hardcopy merchandise iirc when I tossed in my cash at the kickstarter back in the day, which would be shipped when the game was done

Not sure tho

Shiodome
May 19 2014, 09:31:22 PM
well, it's something that would be useful if you want to focus on combat. but no real need if you want to do everything else instead i imagine.

Straight Hustlin
May 19 2014, 09:32:53 PM
How feasible is space combat going to be with a Joypad, or jsutplain old K+M? (Probably PvE only) I'm far too old, bad and gerneally uninterested in being #1 to be dropping a hundred squids on some blinged out n dimensional controller i'll use for 2 months.

If you've got integrated blue tooth, or a BT dongle, pick up one of these badboys for like $25. I fucking love using this thing in place of the keyboard for my left hand.

http://cdn.us.playstation.com/pscomauth/groups/public/documents/webasset/sc_large.jpg

The make or break for it comes down to how many functions you need to have at your finger tips at once. For most games, its not really an issue, but sim games like this with a ton of functions will leave you having to make sacrifices.

morpheps
May 20 2014, 08:31:31 AM

For 150$ you get the game (valued at 50$ as a pre-order/launch price), an expansion pack (valued at 50$) and access to the games development. No perks.

Think I'll wait for retail then and invest the difference towards a joystick. Must. Not. Give. In. Must. Not. Buy.

firefoxx80
May 20 2014, 08:52:53 AM

I'm in premium beta, so have been playing with it for the past few weeks.

ED (and from what I've heard, SC) are not behaving like classic flight sims (eg. X-Wing, X3, etc.), where you can just point your ship in the direction you want to go and play with the throttle. It seems to play more like old-school Descent (6DOF), where you can have practically zero forward speed and still be maneuverable; look at some of the ED docking videos to understand what I mean.
I started off with a K+M, but really struggled to do decent up/down/left/right strafing to be effective in combat; there's simply not enough fingers on your left (or right) hand to do more than WSAD and one or two more. Bear in mind you'll also potentially be going into stealth mode and other fun that requires extra fingers.

Anyways, cracked out a XBox 360 controller, and that seemed to do the trick with default mappings. There's still not enough fingers/buttons for everything, but you can at least do basic flight controls without much expense or fuss.

Raxxman
May 20 2014, 09:01:45 AM

I'm in premium beta, so have been playing with it for the past few weeks.

ED (and from what I've heard, SC) are not behaving like classic flight sims (eg. X-Wing, X3, etc.), where you can just point your ship in the direction you want to go and play with the throttle. It seems to play more like old-school Descent (6DOF), where you can have practically zero forward speed and still be maneuverable; look at some of the ED docking videos to understand what I mean.
I started off with a K+M, but really struggled to do decent up/down/left/right strafing to be effective in combat; there's simply not enough fingers on your left (or right) hand to do more than WSAD and one or two more. Bear in mind you'll also potentially be going into stealth mode and other fun that requires extra fingers.

Anyways, cracked out a XBox 360 controller, and that seemed to do the trick with default mappings. There's still not enough fingers/buttons for everything, but you can at least do basic flight controls without much expense or fuss.

When I played 'I found her' I tried out a crazy 8 axis setup with 2 3 axis joysticks and peddles. Way too complex for me :). but a duel stick setup with decent number of hats could be cool, if very pricey

Thoemse
May 20 2014, 11:20:21 AM
How is this controller called?
I want one but can't find it. :)

Mona
May 20 2014, 11:23:09 AM
How is this controller called?
I want one but can't find it. :)

Looks like Sony's Move, but without light ball.

erichkknaar
May 20 2014, 01:32:48 PM
It's the Move Navigation controller. The add-on to the basic Move. That's a good idea.

Straight Hustlin
May 20 2014, 01:36:48 PM
Yeah sorry forgot to say, its the sony ps3 move navigator.

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Thoemse
May 20 2014, 03:33:59 PM
Thank you!

Bought.

Dante80
May 20 2014, 05:39:17 PM
Here is a nice atmospheric video by Nic0maK showing the playable game map.

http://youtu.be/clJwjraN_5Q

Tailn
May 20 2014, 06:34:56 PM

Holy Fuck that is massive.

When I was 10 playing the original elite that's just what my over-active brain was seeing.

Mona
May 20 2014, 07:19:42 PM
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17280

FD asks dor people's controllers to make they're supported.

Paradox
May 20 2014, 08:42:51 PM

When I was 10 playing the original elite that's just what my over-active brain was seeing.

This game...

DaneJa
May 21 2014, 12:56:11 AM

This game...

Dude... What am I even supposed to do with that? Impressive.

Helfix
May 21 2014, 03:40:14 AM

This game...

Dude... What am I even supposed to do with that? Impressive.

The combat is a lot of fun as well :X.....

QuackBot
May 21 2014, 04:00:15 AM

Here is a picture of that.

Sandzibar
May 21 2014, 09:36:24 AM
If its like frontier etc (whilst its very impressive in scale) it's largely the same stuff over and over. Not really much point exploring so far away from the core systems / regions where all the factional action is.

But yeah.. Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

Itiken
May 21 2014, 11:42:17 AM
But yeah.. Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space,

Isyel
May 21 2014, 12:12:33 PM
If i see silly huge maps like that all it means it it's going to be super bland and samey everywhere. :/

Still, combat looks fun at least.

Bombcrater
May 21 2014, 12:47:21 PM
If its like frontier etc (whilst its very impressive in scale) it's largely the same stuff over and over. Not really much point exploring so far away from the core systems / regions where all the factional action is.

There's a lot more potential for deviating from the procedurally generated universe to put in surprises than there was with Frontier. I expect (in the final game at least) explorers will find stuff out there that the devs have never told anyone about.