PDA

View Full Version : Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter remake)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13

Cosmin
December 23 2014, 04:24:16 PM
So, I've tried to play with a friend last night and we were definitely in the same instance except when we decided to take on signatures we would never ever be in the same instance. Any idea why that happened? It was clearly only one available, distance matched (at least what we thought it matched over comms and trying to not overshoot it), but once I got a wedding barge and he got two cobra mkIIIs and the dance continued without us being able to be in the same sig at the same time.

Saul
December 23 2014, 05:48:53 PM
So, I've tried to play with a friend last night and we were definitely in the same instance except when we decided to take on signatures we would never ever be in the same instance. Any idea why that happened? It was clearly only one available, distance matched (at least what we thought it matched over comms and trying to not overshoot it), but once I got a wedding barge and he got two cobra mkIIIs and the dance continued without us being able to be in the same sig at the same time.

Because matchmaking = terrible at the moment.

Another server-side economy patch is up:

Server Update - 23rd Dec 2014
Hi,

a server update has just been completed with a single change. It includes two balance tweaks, the first is to prevent large economies consuming more of the good that it also produces. This improves the supply of those goods for the player. The second change reduces the impact of demand from the AI trading so that players are more likely to encounter high demand.

Thanks

Michael

I Legionnaire
December 23 2014, 06:07:03 PM
Tried to play with mouse/keyboard. No bueno, thinking about getting a Saitek X52, or is that overkill?

Straight Hustlin
December 23 2014, 06:09:40 PM
Tried to play with mouse/keyboard. No bueno, thinking about getting a Saitek X52, or is that overkill?

I've heard a lot of people complain about the drivers for Saitek sticks; also requires a direct connection USB connection to your mother board or a usb hub with external power.

I use a Logitech 3d pro and it works just fine and is like 30 dollars.

Kraken
December 23 2014, 06:10:35 PM
I've stolen a route mentioned in r/EliteTraders, and done some math based off some of the posts there and in the bible (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haUVaFIxFq5IPqZugJ8cfCEqBrZvFFzcA-uXB4pTfW4/pubhtml). This is what I've come up with

http://i.imgur.com/u5bC8Cp.png

Not sure how long time it will take, since I've yet to be able to run it, but the guy who came up with it was making around 5-600k/hour. I guess somewhere along those lines. I'm going to check it out, but doubt I'll be able to tonight.

According to the math, you should be able to run a profit of around 750k pr run, minus fuel and repairs. I'm scooping, and most of the station to station runs are 70-100 Ly, so quite doable. If you're using an Adder, I'd say don't bother scooping unless you're not able to make it to the next point, but a Cobra will be better of doing some scooping.

Just did the first stop on that route now (Eleu - Heike), and the Thermals only sells for 2772 a piece. What gives? A profit of 20K is hardly worth the effort :/

Well according to morpheps chart you should be selling thermals at waypoint #4, not #2. Remember you need to hit a 160ly distance between buy and sell systems to max your profit on a rare.

is this route still good? how much is the max cargo ill need for my cobra? ill need to swap out some things for more cargo bays otherwise

Thoemse
December 23 2014, 06:12:19 PM
Saitek x-55 is pretty much hardware haven for elite. No driver issues at all.

Straight Hustlin
December 23 2014, 06:17:05 PM
Saitek x-55 is pretty much hardware haven for elite. No driver issues at all.
They ironed out a lot of the problems that the X-52 had

Kraken
December 23 2014, 06:24:07 PM

I've heard a lot of people complain about the drivers for Saitek sticks; also requires a direct connection USB connection to your mother board or a usb hub with external power.

I use a Logitech 3d pro and it works just fine and is like 30 dollars.

Thrustmaster Tflight X, same price, better than the 3d pro in everyway.

morpheps
December 23 2014, 06:41:05 PM
I've stolen a route mentioned in r/EliteTraders, and done some math based off some of the posts there and in the bible (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haUVaFIxFq5IPqZugJ8cfCEqBrZvFFzcA-uXB4pTfW4/pubhtml). This is what I've come up with

Not sure how long time it will take, since I've yet to be able to run it, but the guy who came up with it was making around 5-600k/hour. I guess somewhere along those lines. I'm going to check it out, but doubt I'll be able to tonight.

According to the math, you should be able to run a profit of around 750k pr run, minus fuel and repairs. I'm scooping, and most of the station to station runs are 70-100 Ly, so quite doable. If you're using an Adder, I'd say don't bother scooping unless you're not able to make it to the next point, but a Cobra will be better of doing some scooping.

Just did the first stop on that route now (Eleu - Heike), and the Thermals only sells for 2772 a piece. What gives? A profit of 20K is hardly worth the effort :/

Well according to morpheps chart you should be selling thermals at waypoint #4, not #2. Remember you need to hit a 160ly distance between buy and sell systems to max your profit on a rare.

is this route still good? how much is the max cargo ill need for my cobra? ill need to swap out some things for more cargo bays otherwise

It should be, haven't been doing it since last night. An alternative is going back and forth between Eleu and Coquim. You need 13 tons from Eleu and 20 coming from Coquim. Profit is about 300k per trip from Coquim, around 200k from Eleu IIRC.

Edit: I'm running it with a Cobra with 32 space atm.

Meths
December 23 2014, 06:55:24 PM

Im using the Thrustmaster t-flight hotas is good and cheap.

Rakshasa The Cat
December 23 2014, 07:29:49 PM

I got the two X55 units connected to my keyboard, which is connected to a powered USB 3.0 hub and have no issues.

Though the keyboard is an expensive HHKB so it has a proper USB hub built in.

helgur
December 23 2014, 10:07:10 PM
So I've been thinking a bit more about the ASP, and studying it more closely it really doesn't seem to offer that much more benefit over more reasonable alternatives. At least not when you take the price into account. Bounty hounting: It has a stronger hull / shields than the cobra or viper, I grant you that. But for grinding NPC's a cobra or viper is just as fine - and a lot more cheaper. Trading: It has a bit more room for expanded cargoholds but not much compared to a lakon 6, besides a fully upgraded FSD on the ASP costs 5,1 million while on the t6 about 1,6 mill. And the jump ringe is roughly the same on both with a fully upgraded FSD.

So might just grind up to something else, a type 7 perhaps. Or a Python.... but that is going to be one long grind :/

Kraken
December 23 2014, 10:15:26 PM
what weapon setup do you all ultimately put on the cobra? 1 gimbled burst, 2 gimbled multicannons and a torp launcher? Whats more effective a torp launcher or missiles? with the cost of a single torp that could really eat into my profit margin for bounty hunting?

Approaching Walrus
December 23 2014, 10:17:27 PM
Stock Asp does not compare to a Cobra but a pimped Asp is one of the scariest ships in Elite

helgur
December 23 2014, 10:34:37 PM
Stock Asp does not compare to a Cobra but a pimped Asp is one of the scariest ships in Elite

Meh, I'm not convinced. A fully pimped Viper is p. good aswell. The only thing abysmal about it is its travel range

Bombcrater
December 23 2014, 11:04:45 PM
An upgraded Asp is a very, very good ship, it will blap a Viper without even noticing. It doesn't come cheap, expect to pay 20-25m for a good equipment set, but for that you get a ship that doesn't have much in the way of weaknesses.

My present setup is

2 x D2 Gimbaled Beams
4 x B1 Missile Launchers
2 x Point Defence
B5 Powerplant
B5 Thrusters
Military Grade Composite Bulkheads
A5 FSD
D4 Life Support
A4 Power Distributor
D5 Sensors
A5 Shield Generator
64/8/8/8 Cargo Racks (88t)
A2 + B2 Shield Cell Banks

Jump range on this 25ly empty, 21ly laden, ship+mods costs 25.5m. I'd love to replace the missile launchers with railguns but that'll have to wait for a better powerplant.

Kraken
December 23 2014, 11:11:49 PM
so go for missiles rather than torps?

Sandzibar
December 23 2014, 11:40:13 PM
Protip: Shield Cells are borked at the mo.. E type and A type have their stats swapped. So BIS is E type as they carry more cells.

Protip #2: Set your FSD, Cargo hatch, and Fuel scoop to priority 3 for power. Cant scoop when in FSD mode. Cant FSD with guns out. Might help you squeeze out a bit more power for big guns in combat mode.

Steckersaurus
December 23 2014, 11:48:17 PM
Shamelessly stolen from Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2ppu49/congratulations_elite_dangerous/cmzhen6?context=6), a bunch of guys figured out how to make co-op mining ops work using a type 9 and a bunch of cobras (sound familiar?).

I play with friends every single day. In fact, we had like 12 people mining as a group the other night, with a Type-7 hauling cargo back to sell, and distributed the total profits evenly among the mining group.
Does it need improving? Certainly.
Is there no multiplayer? Of course not!

I know this is not really the place for it, but I can't really explain without a long post because we're essentially using the existing mechanics to achieve it even though the explicit mechanic isn't in the game. Why? I don't know. I don't personally mind, because it's not hard to share 500k cargo worth of palladium with someone if money wants to be given. For massive quantities? Yea you'd be scooping a LOT of cargo...lol.

The process we tried is to have each miner report on in-game VOIP what they are providing and the hauler reports what he's receiving (to keep each other honest). Since it's usually a mix of platinum(~20k/u), palladium(~14k/u), gold (~8k/u), and silver (4k/u), that takes up a lot of room so its held by the hauler. Its all sold somewhere nearby that also SELLS those metals in high quantity (usually the local refinery colony to the region). Platinum/Palladium is bought in the closest quantity to "even" and dumped for the group.

Regarding mining, lessons learned from our sloppy coordination is: buddy system. Instead of a big blob of mining, and scooping, and tons and tons of disorganized chunks of ore flying all about around, too many people talking, etc., we found it easier to drop in on the Type 7's frameshift wake to the same exact location (to make us hard to find vs. a resource extraction site EVERY commander knows about) and have the Type 7 sit above the asteroid belt, on the edge so he can jump if need be. Then have buddy pairs of Cobras pick different directions and dive into the belt. Each pair tests asteroids for valuable ores. Both of us had refineries and basically took turns mining/scooping, which makes the process WAY faster. When we each had about 30 units of the expensive ores I listed, we head up and out to dump for the hauler. Some pairs get lucky, others don't. If you don't trust someone you could always scan their cargo bay...

Having the Type 7 above the belt actually makes it easier to find him again, as digging through a hugely massive asteroid belt can be disorienting, especially when each buddy group goes well beyond beyond sensor range. If a cobra pair is ready to dump cargo, the Type 7 fires a laser so he's easy to spot.

A guy in an eagle offered to scout for us, so he patrolled a perimeter around the hauler and would dip into the asteroid belt a bit for bounty kills for some extra cash for himself.

Honestly? E:D group play still needs work, there's NO denying it. Everything we did was only possible because we kind of know the games mechanics, there's no guide to explain to a new player how to get to and do all these things.

They said more fluid grouping stuff will be patched early next year according to FD. I hope the studios are letting their devs have holidays with the family after the culmination of a lot of hard work over the last 2 years.

Sorry for the long post, I'll stop posting stuff unrelated to SC, I just feel the need to explain that this game isn't as devoid of multiplayer as people seem to make it. It DEFINITELY needs a lot of work, and seems to be improving as time goes on, it's just it's own type of game and I kind of like it a lot :p

QuackBot
December 24 2014, 01:00:12 AM
so go for missiles rather than torps?
So i'm pretty much without internet currently. I'm coming as i said. I have tried online pdf crackers, no go.

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 01:09:37 AM

It should be, haven't been doing it since last night. An alternative is going back and forth between Eleu and Coquim. You need 13 tons from Eleu and 20 coming from Coquim. Profit is about 300k per trip from Coquim, around 200k from Eleu IIRC.

Also running it with a cobra and 32 tones of storage.. I made about just over 2 mill in almost 3 round trips last night.

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 01:14:23 AM
An upgraded Asp is a very, very good ship, it will blap a Viper without even noticing. It doesn't come cheap, expect to pay 20-25m for a good equipment set, but for that you get a ship that doesn't have much in the way of weaknesses.

My present setup is

2 x D2 Gimbaled Beams
4 x B1 Missile Launchers
2 x Point Defence
B5 Powerplant
B5 Thrusters
Military Grade Composite Bulkheads
A5 FSD
D4 Life Support
A4 Power Distributor
D5 Sensors
A5 Shield Generator
64/8/8/8 Cargo Racks (88t)
A2 + B2 Shield Cell Banks

Jump range on this 25ly empty, 21ly laden, ship+mods costs 25.5m. I'd love to replace the missile launchers with railguns but that'll have to wait for a better powerplant.

Even not talking combat in to account it makes a great explorer because of the jump range and the fuel bay size. Couple that with you still being able to pimp it for combat and those NPCs that piss you off interdicting you while you are just out scanning around will taste my wrath!

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 01:46:18 AM
So has anyone been to Durius to see if anything is going on?

Steckersaurus
December 24 2014, 03:31:54 AM

The few people who mentioned going out there so far said that (a) nothing seems to be happening yet and (b) the stations in system are 250k+ ls from the star. So there's a bit of an "eff this" vibe.

helgur
December 24 2014, 03:52:25 AM
An upgraded Asp is a very, very good ship, it will blap a Viper without even noticing.

So will my viper. My point is that for NPC grinding bounties a Viper does almost an equal job for a lot less of monies. And for hauling my t6 does almost an equal job for a lot less money.

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 04:19:13 AM

The few people who mentioned going out there so far said that (a) nothing seems to be happening yet and (b) the stations in system are 250k+ ls from the star. So there's a bit of an "eff this" vibe.

Yep.. over 270k in fact.. I'm in system now.. I got bored. Wana see if yesterdays news was a hit they are selling ships off cheap.

Edit: So short answer is there isnt even a place to refit, let alone buy ships.. So thats out.

There are a number of conflict zones. You can drop in on them and generally you get left alone. The stations have missions up for killing some of the attacking ships, but I was in a low intensity zone and a guy jumped in, started shooting at some navy ships and had 6 of them rape him in about 3 seconds. Looks like its not worth the 9k reward..

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 04:21:51 AM
An upgraded Asp is a very, very good ship, it will blap a Viper without even noticing.

So will my viper. My point is that for NPC grinding bounties a Viper does almost an equal job for a lot less of monies. And for hauling my t6 does almost an equal job for a lot less money.

Not disagreeing with you but the Asp is supposed to be an explorer.. That means you will be 500+Ly away from your other ship, so it has to do everything.

Having said that though, hauling is not really something I have found a use for in exploring.. Wish would could get an extended fuel store in the class 5 and 6 bays...

Bombcrater
December 24 2014, 09:08:00 AM
The Asp can do both jobs, though. And it's much better for farming cash from kills. I tend to take those Anaconda kill missions that pay anything up to 250k combined bounty and mission reward, and it's way, way easier to do those in an Asp.

Ralara
December 24 2014, 09:44:44 AM
Well I got a sidewinder and started yesterday. Not made any money yet. Not sure how to.

Max Teranous
December 24 2014, 09:52:38 AM
Installed but resisted playing, have a joystick on the Xmas list, c'mon Santa, sort me out !

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 10:29:19 AM
So if I would have stuck with my plan and run the rare loop all day I would have been bored, but well over enough space bucks to get an asp and a decent fit.. Instead I got bored and went bounty hunting. How the fuck do you actually make money doing this? Missiles are out, I use them way too much for it to be profitable.. Beam lasers are awesome but they seem to run out of juice just as the guys warp drive starts to charge.. I have the auto-cannon things as backups now (cobra) and thye are better, but im still spending most of my money either fixing the ship (less now I got better bulkheads) or re-arming the guns..

Darkening
December 24 2014, 10:31:05 AM
Well I got a sidewinder and started yesterday. Not made any money yet. Not sure how to.

Kill wanted npc's

Shaikar
December 24 2014, 11:05:07 AM
So if I would have stuck with my plan and run the rare loop all day I would have been bored, but well over enough space bucks to get an asp and a decent fit.. Instead I got bored and went bounty hunting. How the fuck do you actually make money doing this? Missiles are out, I use them way too much for it to be profitable.. Beam lasers are awesome but they seem to run out of juice just as the guys warp drive starts to charge.. I have the auto-cannon things as backups now (cobra) and thye are better, but im still spending most of my money either fixing the ship (less now I got better bulkheads) or re-arming the guns..

What are you trying to kill and are you using a kill warrant scanner?
I've not played enough to leave "harmless" status on anything, but with the starting eagle from the bounty hunter start I found it easy enough to make cash on bounties. Killed a couple on a mission, bought a lw scanner and lurked around belts amd uss. More than enough per kill to cover fuel/ammo/repair costs.

Took a mission that turned out to be vs an elite anaconda, a warning would have been nice but escaped ok. :)

/e my eagle was equipped with the following:
2x fixed burst lasers
1x gimbled multicannon

Started with reasonably upgraded shields/power/armour.

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 12:48:23 PM

I've not played enough to leave "harmless" status on anything, but with the starting eagle from the bounty hunter start I found it easy enough to make cash on bounties. Killed a couple on a mission, bought a lw scanner and lurked around belts amd uss. More than enough per kill to cover fuel/ammo/repair costs.

Took a mission that turned out to be vs an elite anaconda, a warning would have been nice but escaped ok. :)

2x fixed burst lasers
1x gimbled multicannon

I do and im doing it in a A/B fitted cobra and raping everything.. I'm just not making any money.. I took out a clipper and just about broke even....

Edit: Holy fuck.. I just jumped in to Ross 780 and nearly hit the first planet.. Its closer to the star than the nav beacon..

Edit2: OK this is stupid.. Hutton Orbital is in Alpha Centauri, but its 0.22Ly (yes, years) away from the jump in..

Meths
December 24 2014, 01:33:32 PM

2x fixed burst lasers
1x gimbled multicannon

I do and im doing it in a A/B fitted cobra and raping everything.. I'm just not making any money.. I took out a clipper and just about broke even....

Edit: Holy fuck.. I just jumped in to Ross 780 and nearly hit the first planet.. Its closer to the star than the nav beacon..

Edit2: OK this is stupid.. Hutton Orbital is in Alpha Centauri, but its 0.22Ly (yes, years) away from the jump in..

Ha Ha , never ever go to Alpha Centauri. Yer bloody Noob.

Ralara
December 24 2014, 02:12:14 PM

Kill wanted npc's

yeah ive been trying to figure out how.

I can spot some of them when in "J" warp (Frame jump? I cant remember what it's called, am not at my home PC) and can scan them - just not sure how to get out of warp next to them. I don't have an interdictor thingy yet - just 1000 credits.

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 02:12:38 PM

2x fixed burst lasers
1x gimbled multicannon

Ha Ha , never ever go to Alpha Centauri. Yer bloody Noob.

Really didn't read the mission I had correctly..

Anyway I have started to decelerate.. Max speed of the supercruise is indeed 2000c

Edit: Oooo the counter just ticked back in to Ls.. 3,000,000+.. I wasn't in the room when it did it.

Edit2: IM UNDER 1,000,000Ls AWAY!

Edit3: Landed... Totally not worth it. There is a rare for sale here but somehow they only have 1 available.. The only thing remotely interesting is the view, so here you go FHC, Hutton Orbital moments before I landed very hard on pad 3 because it didn't give me the distance count. Merry fucking xmas, im off to bed.

http://xmode.homeftp.org/share/Screenshot_0008.jpg

Lana Torrin
December 24 2014, 02:15:22 PM

Kill wanted npc's

I can spot some of them when in "J" warp (Frame jump? I cant remember what it's called, am not at my home PC) and can scan them - just not sure how to get out of warp next to them. I don't have an interdictor thingy yet - just 1000 credits.

You could hang out at mining sites.. They tend to annoy the miners..

You can also run courier missions for a bit to get some money.. Once you hit around 100k you can get a half decent ship with a good jump range and start running rares. Then the money starts to come in and eventually you dont have to do it anymore.

helgur
December 24 2014, 04:08:48 PM
The Asp can do both jobs, though. And it's much better for farming cash from kills. I tend to take those Anaconda kill missions that pay anything up to 250k combined bounty and mission reward, and it's way, way easier to do those in an Asp.

I kill elite anacondas without breaking a sweat (never goes under my shields) with a fully upgraded viper though. Takes like 3 minutes. After his shields are down WABLAMO blap him with missiles and his dead

Sure enough reloading the C1 missile bays costs anywhere between 8-12k but its easy.

Kraken
December 24 2014, 04:16:42 PM
seekers or dumbfires?

Dave1180
December 24 2014, 04:24:54 PM

Kill wanted npc's

Go to the nav beacon and target ships that are there.. You'll also see fights happening, join in with those.

Dave1180
December 24 2014, 04:24:54 PM
Retard phone double post

helgur
December 24 2014, 05:39:07 PM
seekers or dumbfires?

dumbfires

Straight Hustlin
December 24 2014, 05:47:43 PM
Kinda wishing I got a viper instead of the Cobra. Cobra is certainly nice, with its big cargo & fuel bays, FSD & shit. But its just feels soooo fucking slow coming from my pimped eagle. Oh well Viper is cheap enough so I'll pick one up eventually.

Also does any else feel like there is a lack of intermediate [combat] ships? You go 40k eagle, 120k viper, 350k Cobra ->6mil ASP -> 56mil for a python.

Seems to me that the game could be well served by having ships in the 1-2mil range, & the 10 to 20 mil range.

Sandzibar
December 24 2014, 06:40:09 PM
We've only got 15 of the 30 ships theyve promised so far.

Whilst the game is very playable in its current state, its very obviously missing a deal of depth and content.

The foundations are broad and amazingly well done, but I look forward to see what gets built on them over the next year or so.

Straight Hustlin
December 24 2014, 06:42:12 PM

Whilst the game is very playable in its current state, its very obviously missing a deal of depth and content.

The foundations are broad and amazingly well done, but I look forward to see what gets built on them over the next year or so.

That's true, keep forgetting there's more ships to come. I hope we get the Imperial Fighter; that shit looks snazzzzy

helgur
December 24 2014, 06:47:57 PM

That's true, keep forgetting there's more ships to come. I hope we get the Imperial Fighter; that shit looks snazzzzy

Both the imperial and federal fighters are very short range, low on tank but is going to have decent firepower and amazing speed, as I've understood it. It is going to bring an interesting twist to combat. Especially if you team up with your mates with em. This game is going to turn from pretty decent to amazing if/when they get there.

Yesturday I took my T6 on a trading run, racked up 104 tons of rare valuables, and hauled em back to my base of operations about 160-200 LY from where I initially bought all the stuff. I was a bit tired and had turned the sound off. Forgot to ask for docking permissions and got the ship blown up. 150K insurance costs + the cost of the cargo. My biggest ingame derp so far. :p

rufuske
December 24 2014, 06:51:27 PM

Imperial Courier, cruisin' in style since 1993.

Straight Hustlin
December 24 2014, 06:55:45 PM

Imperial Courier, cruisin' in style since 1993.

I've only come across one of those as it zipped by me in super cruise so I didn't have a chance to oogle it; like I did with the fighter which was chilling outside a station.

Did manage to get myself killed last night. Was engaging a pirate cobra & some coppers showed up. Cobra got a lucky pass on me & nuked my shields. I maneuver in on his ass end & start ripping though his shields; than WHACK I'm at 70% hull; WHACK 30%; That's when I see a missile fly by on my left side; then BOOOOOOOOM.

Fucking coppers where shooting missiles at the pirate & raped me instead.

After this I learned the value of turning off reporting crimes against me.

Kraken
December 24 2014, 07:21:34 PM

my damn txt wasnt there, :
So i tried this, at Heike it onmly had 1 unit of Tea available. am i ment to wait for others to spawn there after a while or something? same was at Finney dock before it, only a few thermals not 13?

Ben Derindar
December 24 2014, 07:42:43 PM

Best way to start imo is just explore. You don't need cash upfront (unlike trading or mining) and no risk of fines for failing a mission. Your sidey comes with a basic discovery scanner; assign it to a fire group and just go walkabout through a few systems.

morpheps
December 24 2014, 07:54:29 PM

my damn txt wasnt there, :
So i tried this, at Heike it onmly had 1 unit of Tea available. am i ment to wait for others to spawn there after a while or something? same was at Finney dock before it, only a few thermals not 13?

13 is the cap. I.e. max. Supply per tick varies, but is usually higher than 1-2. Normally 1 tick is enough to fill the cap, I have never had to wait more than two.

Straight Hustlin
December 24 2014, 07:59:12 PM
How long is a tick? Googling has turned up a lot of things except an answer.

morpheps
December 24 2014, 08:00:28 PM
10-12 minutes

Cosmin
December 24 2014, 10:12:05 PM

Yesterday had a long-ish session and I have to say the Adder is shit. 4 times out of 5 engagements I got a broken canopy ffs and one of them ended up with me docking at the last second. Too bad it was one of those external landing pads and the ship started blaring "eject, eject" just as it was lowered inside the hangar :facepalm:

I was also using gimballed lasers and a retard copper got in my line of fire, obv became wanted and what not and I had to evade coppers whilst killing pirates. Never occured to me to turn off the "report crimes against me" thingie :facepalm:

Switched to a Viper and it's much much better. This ship is amazing and I dunno if I'll really sell it. Pimpish is a very nasty tool.

helgur
December 24 2014, 10:23:14 PM

Yesterday had a long-ish session and I have to say the Adder is shit. 4 times out of 5 engagements I got a broken canopy ffs and one of them ended up with me docking at the last second. Too bad it was one of those external landing pads and the ship started blaring "eject, eject" just as it was lowered inside the hangar :facepalm:

I was also using gimballed lasers and a retard copper got in my line of fire, obv became wanted and what not and I had to evade coppers whilst killing pirates. Never occured to me to turn off the "report crimes against me" thingie :facepalm:

Switched to a Viper and it's much much better. This ship is amazing and I dunno if I'll really sell it. Pimpish is a very nasty tool.

Wait, did you actually use the adder for combat and excpected it to not suck?

Darkening
December 24 2014, 10:44:22 PM
Joystick setup in 30 seconds and managed to get 35k in bountys within 10mins.

Need to sort some of the keys out on it as they are mapped for stuff thats useless for me atm.

Devec
December 24 2014, 11:11:21 PM
Attacked some random pirate bloke, he dropped a bunch of Tantalum which made me go aw yiss. Took me a while to find a black market before I could hand them in and in the meantime go ship scanned in a random unknown signal pocket by a lone fed ship. Fucking 18k bounty on my head from the feds gg. Of course I didn't pay it as I sold the tantalum on the black market and tried to stay away from the fed systems. However I interdicted a wanted cobra mark 3 and tried taking it on until I realized far too late how outgunned I was. Another sidewinder down and back from 27k to a shameful 3k again :<

Cosmin
December 24 2014, 11:34:36 PM

The Cobra mk3s, ASPs and Anacondas I took down with it might beg to differ :) It wasn't really bad, tbqh.

helgur
December 25 2014, 01:00:48 AM
It wasn't really bad, tbqh.

Yesterday had a long-ish session and I have to say the Adder is shit.

had a long-ish session and I have to say the Adder is shit.

and I have to say the Adder is shit.

the Adder is shit.

:psyduck:

Saul
December 25 2014, 01:19:10 AM
Made it back to civilised space at last. Got as far as the edge of the spiral arm or so, in the region of 1500 LY from the core systems. Probably about 3k LY round trip give or take.

Took a total of 1% damage, and that was my own fault for skimming the rings on a gas giant at too many C and emergency dropping out of supercruise. Didn't really need the auto-repair tbh. There is nothing out there, just system after system, and about 500LY out from the core systems you stop seeing NPCs entirely. I got quite used to having space all to myself and it was initially quite weird when I started to see ships and stations again on the way back in.

Knowing you're out there with no fall back and no dock for a few thousand LY in any direction is quite exhilarating to start with. In the end what killed my motivation was the distance and the poor jump range of my Size 3 B-type FSD (about 16.5 LY). For anything over about 1k LY you really need an ASP - or a minimum of 20-25 LY jump range.

Made 1.2 million from Universal Cartographics. I just scanned each system with the Advanced Scanner and jumped on to the next, only doing full/detailed scans on interesting systems and systems that looked like they had a terrestrial. A few conclusions can be drawn from the prices:

Being the first person to blap a system with an Advanced Discovery Scanner _only_will net somewhere between 2-8k depending on the number of bodies in the system, without fully scanning them (i.e blap your ADS once before you jump and that's it). Fully scanning objects with/without detailed surface scanner earns additional cash. Exploring without Intermediate or (god forbid) basic discovery scanners is largely pointless.

Water worlds and terrestrials are usually easy to spot in the system map and pay the most for full and/or detailed scans. Each terrestrial/water world seems to net about 50k credits for the first scan. High metal content planets seem to pay a few thousand for the first detailed surface scans. Ice planets are barely worth bothering with.

QuackBot
December 25 2014, 05:00:14 AM

Need to sort some of the keys out on it as they are mapped for stuff thats useless for me atm.
Sort it out.

Rakshasa The Cat
December 25 2014, 05:48:22 AM

Sort it out.

Skeptic
December 25 2014, 12:54:56 PM
Joysticks for nerds, how dumb you going to feel when in the first real spaceships are brought out with mouse and keys controls.

Lana Torrin
December 25 2014, 01:07:19 PM
Joysticks for nerds, how dumb you going to feel when in the first real spaceships are brought out with mouse and keys controls.

We already had this discussion on an SC thread and decided that gamepad was in fact the superior and preferred input device for the future of mankind.

Tailn
December 25 2014, 01:48:45 PM

We already had this discussion on an SC thread and decided that gamepad was in fact the superior and preferred input device for the future of mankind.

Mankind has no hope :(

Equium Duo
December 25 2014, 03:31:14 PM
fuckl me, 39.99!! Holy shit thats expensive! : /

Constantinus
December 25 2014, 04:47:01 PM
Finaly bought the damn game. Let's hope it is fun and Braben keeps his many promises.

morpheps
December 25 2014, 04:52:42 PM

You are clearly not used to SpaceGamesPricing. You see, in SpaceGames Russia, bibig bucks pay you!

Seriously though, Beta access was $100, alpha was what, 150? And SC is like minimum $200 for a helmet or some such..

QuackBot
December 25 2014, 05:00:18 PM

Sort it out.

Saul
December 25 2014, 05:53:47 PM
This thread really needs a subforum. The absence of one solely due to Entrox being absent for months is really grating on me. Isn't there anything we can do?

Ralara
December 25 2014, 05:59:18 PM
Could take over failheap production one?

Saul
December 25 2014, 06:11:41 PM
I thought of colonising the PS2 one as it's essentially dead until the game stops being a shitfest, but that annoys me too.

I'm just grumpy and in a shit mood. Ignore me.

Steckersaurus
December 25 2014, 07:26:05 PM
I thought of colonising the PS2 one as it's essentially dead until the game stops being a shitfest, but that annoys me too.

We could probably assimilate with the SC sub, there's only 2-3 active threads in there and the rest is just the RSI RSS feed. And given the amount of overlap, it'd probably be fine - I could get all my SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE in one little forum.

helgur
December 25 2014, 07:49:54 PM

You are clearly not used to SpaceGamesPricing. You see, in SpaceGames Russia, bibig bucks pay you!

Seriously though, Beta access was $100, alpha was what, 150? And SC is like minimum $200 for a helmet or some such..

Pretty much this. Also I don't see that pricetag as particularly high given the fact the game has just been released onto the market

Lief Siddhe
December 25 2014, 09:24:34 PM

If you're talking about star citizen, you can get alpha/beta access (atm it's basically just world of tanks in space) + singleplayer/multiplayer on launch for like 40$

morpheps
December 25 2014, 09:28:32 PM

If you're talking about star citizen, you can get alpha/beta access (atm it's basically just world of tanks in space) + singleplayer/multiplayer on launch for like 40$

I was referring to what Elite was back then. And with regards to SC; I'd like to make the comparison to owning an old BMW - it's not the initial payment that will kill you..

Lief Siddhe
December 25 2014, 09:40:48 PM
pls try and stop being a fanboy hater right in the root

yes, some people spend ridiculous amounts of money on SC, but pls dont lie it costs 200$ to get in the game when it doesn't

anyway i'll stop derailing the elite thread now

helgur
December 25 2014, 09:50:38 PM
The kickstarter preorder to just get into a sidewinder at launch was $30 or something, it was getting into the alpha/beta that was expensive iirc

Pyea
December 25 2014, 10:11:58 PM
Has anyone else got the feeling that bounty hunting and combat is a bit of a dead end in terms of progression? I've got to the stage now where I have a pimped viper and a few million in the bank but don't see my current playstyle having much of a way forward, especially being able to afford something large like the Python.

morpheps
December 25 2014, 10:12:13 PM

yes, some people spend ridiculous amounts of money on SC, but pls dont lie it costs 200$ to get in the game when it doesn't

*sigh* I was hoping that the "helmet" comment would underline my comment as sarcasm, but ok. I don't think it costs $200 to get into SC. And while I enjoy making fun of people who spend ridiculous amounts of money on it, that in itself is somewhat ironic seeing how I have dropped $100 for beta access to Elite, and several hundred dollars worth of hardware for mainly Elite. I digress though.

morpheps
December 25 2014, 10:15:50 PM
Has anyone else got the feeling that bounty hunting and combat is a bit of a dead end in terms of progression? I've got to the stage now where I have a pimped viper and a few million in the bank but don't see my current playstyle having much of a way forward, especially being able to afford something large like the Python.

I haven't tried bounty hunting much as a profession yet, so I cannot comment, but basically, you'll want something that scales - for example, if running a trade route in an Adder with 20 tons of cargo space will net you 1k/ton in profits, you get 20k per trip. Upgrade to a Type-6, and we're talking 100k per trip. etc. I guess for bounty hunting, that means taking on better ships / higher value targets, and/or grinding them faster. As it is, exploration seems to suffer from the same.

Kraken
December 25 2014, 10:48:18 PM
i just derped my ship with 30units of rares in the cobra hold exiting a station too fast and too off target. le sigh.

morpheps
December 25 2014, 10:52:27 PM
Hope you could afford the rebuy? :)

Lana Torrin
December 25 2014, 10:53:12 PM

*sigh* I was hoping that the "helmet" comment would underline my comment as sarcasm, but ok. I don't think it costs $200 to get into SC. And while I enjoy making fun of people who spend ridiculous amounts of money on it, that in itself is somewhat ironic seeing how I have dropped $100 for beta access to Elite, and several hundred dollars worth of hardware for mainly Elite. I digress though.

You have to take in to account that people who backed SC and put a lot of money in are now heavily invested and its going to kick ass no matter what.. NO MATTER WHAT. (Also dont look me up on that spreadsheet)

morpheps
December 25 2014, 10:56:01 PM
Holy Jesus. Makes me feel good though :)

Kraken
December 25 2014, 11:48:20 PM
it was only about 40k, the ship + fittings, its not a lot. the cost of the rares maybe was 30-50k invested? its just the time and blah and annoyannce. Its really hard doing this shit with a FSD that goes 12.5LY, its a lot of dull jumps. I get sidetracked too easily and blap targets. In othernews i just made 250k, 180k in bounties. little ships. an anaconda, two federal dropships. picked up 3 slaves and some mil plans and stuff. a lot of my income comes from cargo looted, i always seem to take out the cargo hatch first now :) was fucking frustrating on the anaconda, above or below, just couldnt hit the freaking hatch 1 time.

Steckersaurus
December 26 2014, 12:09:10 AM

There's a limit to what you can get via bounty hunting, but supposedly once you have enough favor/rep/whatever with certain factions, the 150k assassination missions start turning into 900k+ assassination missions. But it'll probably be a while before they put more depth into it than "Go here, kill this guy."

Kraken
December 26 2014, 01:00:56 AM
at the moment in neutral to everyone, should i really pick a side?

Saul
December 26 2014, 02:41:48 AM

I haven't tried bounty hunting much as a profession yet, so I cannot comment, but basically, you'll want something that scales - for example, if running a trade route in an Adder with 20 tons of cargo space will net you 1k/ton in profits, you get 20k per trip. Upgrade to a Type-6, and we're talking 100k per trip. etc. I guess for bounty hunting, that means taking on better ships / higher value targets, and/or grinding them faster. As it is, exploration seems to suffer from the same.

Basically the only income that scales relatively well at the moment is trading. I've not heard about the 900k bounties but if it's true then that's pretty cool.

Exploration is never going to be a massive winner simply because when you go on loooooong trips you scan an absolute shitton of systems, so they have to balance it for high volume. Make your cash in a space truck and pew/travel with the profits is the way forward atm.

My current trade route does 150k one way and 90k the other for two jumps and not more than 200ls in-system travel at either end (say 7-8 mins round trip tops). Everybody gets a Type 6 in the end.

ValorousBob
December 26 2014, 03:50:25 AM

http://media.giphy.com/media/POql6zsXZbmcE/giphy.gif

PM me on Steam if you wanna be belligerently drunk on Teamspeak~

Devec
December 26 2014, 08:46:30 AM
Bob m8 let's fly spaceships

Ralara
December 26 2014, 11:22:03 AM

Best way to start imo is just explore. You don't need cash upfront (unlike trading or mining) and no risk of fines for failing a mission. Your sidey comes with a basic discovery scanner; assign it to a fire group and just go walkabout through a few systems.

dumb question - I've found that on the panel on the right but I'm not sure how to assign groups? I have two lasers which appear to be group one, then I can see the scanner and when I click it I can make a new column and make it "1" or "2". I am not sure how to access group 2 though?

morpheps
December 26 2014, 11:23:26 AM
You can bind both 1 and 2 in settings (first and second firegroup).

Saul
December 26 2014, 11:59:37 AM

http://media.giphy.com/media/POql6zsXZbmcE/giphy.gif

PM me on Steam if you wanna be belligerently drunk on Teamspeak~

Don't seem to have you on steam (which is weird, cause I coulda sworn I did)... add century_rain and give me a yell.

Saul
December 26 2014, 12:00:43 PM

dumb question - I've found that on the panel on the right but I'm not sure how to assign groups? I have two lasers which appear to be group one, then I can see the scanner and when I click it I can make a new column and make it "1" or "2". I am not sure how to access group 2 though?

Totally read that wrong. I'm using an xbox pad so for me A switches between weapon group selections. Not sure what the default is for K/M or joysticks.

morpheps
December 26 2014, 12:22:17 PM
I think N is default keyboard for switching, but I am not sure. I have them bound to two different buttons

Shaikar
December 26 2014, 01:59:46 PM
I think N is default keyboard for switching, but I am not sure. I have them bound to two different buttons

Yeah, it's N by default.

Equium Duo
December 26 2014, 03:38:06 PM
Ok, it's still expensive but I've watched a lot of video's and it does look like a nice game. However not many people are playing with friends (well on the video's I saw anyway). Can you play cooperatively with a friend? Otherwise this looks like a bigger better version of the X series. I don't think I could handle that, I don't mind playing a bit solo for a while, but I'd buy a game like this for the multi-player aspect,. not the single player thing.

morpheps
December 26 2014, 03:49:38 PM
It is possible, but it is instanced, not an MMO. You need to joint as a group to play with and see friends

Skeptic
December 26 2014, 04:34:21 PM
Dont compare this to X2 yet, no-where near as good as the X2 series at its best. You are buying into a potentially good game here, dont expect masses of features and stuff to do in its current state. The groundwork is in place here but there is not really very much to actually do.

morpheps
December 26 2014, 04:49:40 PM
Wings and alliances should be in place early in 2015. This should go ways towards more coop and MMO-ish gameplay

helgur
December 26 2014, 08:44:55 PM
at the moment in neutral to everyone, should i really pick a side?

There litteraly are houndred thousands of factions everywhere. You can't really do anything in this game without picking a side.

If you go to your pilot status in your ship (right HUD) and scroll you can see which factions are wrestling for control in the particular system you are in and how much influence each one has. When I begin to get spacerich I.E can affort something to fly that can really put some weight down, I'm going to start help flip systems over :) At that point I might get lawless in some systems. But you are not going to be a freedom fighter without some sacrifice

helgur
December 26 2014, 08:47:32 PM
Speaking of, does it get you any benefits at all being friendly with a dominant faction in a system? I really can't see any. I am friendly to numerous factions, which I hoped would get me discounts on at least repairs and refuel but alas, it doesn't appear that way

Darkening
December 26 2014, 09:04:08 PM
Got my cobra Mk3 and i can pop a sidewinder from full shields in four shots now :)

Saul
December 26 2014, 09:21:58 PM
Speaking of, does it get you any benefits at all being friendly with a dominant faction in a system? I really can't see any. I am friendly to numerous factions, which I hoped would get me discounts on at least repairs and refuel but alas, it doesn't appear that way

Better missions for sure.

Constantinus
December 26 2014, 09:29:47 PM
Meh, how on earth do i make money with the sucky little Sidewinder? I tried my luck with some light bounty hunting but so far i cannot find any suitable npcs and the missions seem to be extremely random. Any advice?

Saul
December 26 2014, 09:33:02 PM
Meh, how on earth do i make money with the sucky little Sidewinder? I tried my luck with some light bounty hunting but so far i cannot find any suitable npcs and the missions seem to be extremely random. Any advice?

Look for easy bounties in Resource Extraction Sites (in planetary rings) or Combat Zones (usually close to planets), or take Bulletin Board missions delivering small amounts until you can afford a new ship. Eagle for pewing, Hauler for trucking.

ValorousBob
December 26 2014, 09:45:51 PM
Bob m8 let's fly spaceships

I'm so tempted, this game is close to overcoming my inner Jew.

Darkening
December 26 2014, 09:57:30 PM

Go to the Nav point and hang around it, then hit the wanted npc's, can make silly money.

Kraken
December 26 2014, 11:02:19 PM

Basically the only income that scales relatively well at the moment is trading. I've not heard about the 900k bounties but if it's true then that's pretty cool.

Exploration is never going to be a massive winner simply because when you go on loooooong trips you scan an absolute shitton of systems, so they have to balance it for high volume. Make your cash in a space truck and pew/travel with the profits is the way forward atm.

My current trade route does 150k one way and 90k the other for two jumps and not more than 200ls in-system travel at either end (say 7-8 mins round trip tops). Everybody gets a Type 6 in the end.

what route is this?

Lana Torrin
December 27 2014, 12:24:11 AM
Dont compare this to X2 yet, no-where near as good as the X2 series at its best. You are buying into a potentially good game here, dont expect masses of features and stuff to do in its current state. The groundwork is in place here but there is not really very much to actually do.

If you are going to buy the game, buy it as it is now. Development could stop tomorrow.. Its very unlikely, but it could..

Sandzibar
December 27 2014, 12:46:36 AM
15mins and 410k later (just in empire bounties - another 80+ in the other two factions). Extraction sites. Fuck yeah.

Its good to take a break from trading to pewpew sometimes.

Sandzibar
December 27 2014, 12:49:31 AM

what route is this?

Gold to a high tech, and Performance enhancers back again to a Extraction world Id guess at. If he is using a Type6.

Darkening
December 27 2014, 01:02:58 AM
Beam lasers are not very good and large cannons don't do enough damage.
So back to burst lasers and the small gat cannons.

Sandzibar
December 27 2014, 01:10:06 AM
Beam lasers are not very good and large cannons don't do enough damage.
So back to burst lasers and the small gat cannons.

I like beams. I can perma fire my D2 medium beam with 3 pips in weps. Then I have a medium mcannon and 2 small mcannons for tearing up hulls.

You are correct about cannons though. Thier projectile velocity is awful, and their dps is less than a mcannon it seems.

Steckersaurus
December 27 2014, 03:56:29 AM
15mins and 410k later (just in empire bounties - another 80+ in the other two factions). Extraction sites. Fuck yeah.

Where are you finding such nice extraction sites? the first one I found gave me nothing but sidewinders to kill. KWS made sure I got at least 5k for each of them, but that's not great for the frustration involved it hitting an expert sidewinder with the newly-purchased viper.

Bentguru
December 27 2014, 06:56:41 AM
mining seems to be a super easy way to make money early on. I'm rolling in platinum.

Lana Torrin
December 27 2014, 07:09:48 AM
mining seems to be a super easy way to make money early on. I'm rolling in platinum.

You've got to find a good spot though.. Technically any spot can make you money but if you end up in a shit field then all you are doing in grinding away for coltan and lepidolite.. Also, despite it having a way better mechanic than eve, I still found it more boring than space trucking.

Early on when I only had by 100 spacebucks and a sidewinder, all I did was run courier missions. 9 out of 10 you only need to jump 1 system and I was making about 3-5k a run. Once you have around the 100k mark you can upgrade to a better ship and start making actual money (An adder and runs rares for example)

So the maintenance window literally stopped me from purchasing an Asp.. I need to make 10k more moneys to get the base ship.... (I'm going to do a few more runs and get about 500k over so I can afford insurance and some basic upgrades like a fuel scoop)

Sandzibar
December 27 2014, 09:22:45 AM

Where are you finding such nice extraction sites? the first one I found gave me nothing but sidewinders to kill. KWS made sure I got at least 5k for each of them, but that's not great for the frustration involved it hitting an expert sidewinder with the newly-purchased viper.

Its pot luck what sort of target composition you get in each site. I bounce around a few in the same system. I was lucky last night where i got one with lots of conda and cobra.

Anarchy / Democracy doesnt seem to matter much. I think high system pop helps how "busy" they are are though.

Kraken
December 27 2014, 10:18:19 AM
so farm wanteds in resource exraction fields rather than nav beacons and unident sites?

Silk75
December 27 2014, 10:31:07 AM
RES > NAV > USS imo for bounty hunting.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Sandzibar
December 27 2014, 12:39:16 PM
so farm wanteds in resource exraction fields rather than nav beacons and unident sites?

Pretty much. USS are the worst. They are only good for finding the big bounty conda mission targets, info on which system those condas are in, and illegal items for missions.

Lana Torrin
December 27 2014, 01:45:47 PM
So, bought the Asp.. half a mil isnt anywhere near enough to even get basic parts... Also its hard to find size 5 jump drives and anything over size 2 fuel scoops..

Steckersaurus
December 27 2014, 02:15:19 PM

Pretty much. USS are the worst. They are only good for finding the big bounty conda mission targets, info on which system those condas are in, and illegal items for missions.

Oddly enough, USS have given me the best so far, but sample size is too small to draw conclusions. That's just been my luck for the only day I've been able to do bounty hunting. Got a 30k viper and 10k cobra in one. But I've also gotten a bunch of clean type 9s telling me they will buy stuff in bulk or something.

Cosmin
December 27 2014, 02:32:02 PM
If I find one more fucking wedding or funeral barge I swear I'll fuck my unwanted status and kill them all. It's frustrating to only find those dudes and some 3k bounties sidewinders, all at the same time with coppers who fine me for illegal cargo (got 36k fine for 2 fucking barrels of slaves, fml).

Devec
December 27 2014, 02:45:16 PM
Seems I dun goofed. Was exploring an before jumping into an unexplored system I decided if I should refuel and I went with nah, sure it will turn out alright. Now I am stuck in a system from which I can tell are zero planets or infrastructure and not enough fuel to jump back anywhere :facepalm:

rufuske
December 27 2014, 02:56:48 PM
Seems I dun goofed. Was exploring an before jumping into an unexplored system I decided if I should refuel and I went with nah, sure it will turn out alright. Now I am stuck in a system from which I can tell are zero planets or infrastructure and not enough fuel to jump back anywhere :facepalm:

Never go exploring without fuel scoop.

Steckersaurus
December 27 2014, 03:07:02 PM

Sandzibar
December 27 2014, 03:38:06 PM

Dave1180
December 27 2014, 03:45:25 PM

Devec
December 27 2014, 03:51:07 PM
I ended up crashing myself into the sun, respawned.

OP success.

Jaxley
December 27 2014, 03:56:12 PM
Is there an easier way to find weapon upgrades than just aimlessly going from station to station? Kind of annoying to find nothing but B2 cannons when I'm looking for multies.

Cosmin
December 27 2014, 03:57:40 PM
If I find one more fucking wedding or funeral barge I swear I'll fuck my unwanted status and kill them all. It's frustrating to only find those dudes and some 3k bounties sidewinders, all at the same time with coppers who fine me for illegal cargo (got 36k fine for 2 fucking barrels of slaves, fml).

Found a wedding barge that was wanted, yay. Escort wasn't wanted tho, but clean. I thought I'd weed out the weaklings pelting me with rocks, so I killed one. Police came and I fought heroically* and focusing on the barge I brought its power core down to 5 fucking %. It was then that I was at 1% hull, shields down and... they shot my engines and let me to rot there. Dafuq.

Had to self destruct. Woke up in station and shit. Then server crashed.

The raeg.

*dudes escorting were "competent", police was "expert". 4 of the former, 3 of the latter. Barge was also competent and omfg that fucking barge has like 1 fucking million cannons and point defense turrets and shit. Jesus H. Spacechrist.

Sandzibar
December 27 2014, 04:01:44 PM
Is there an easier way to find weapon upgrades than just aimlessly going from station to station? Kind of annoying to find nothing but B2 cannons when I'm looking for multies.

Large pop/wealthy Hitechs usually have everything.

Kraken
December 27 2014, 05:54:43 PM
i now have a 15LY FSD at least, but again, i died, again. 20ton of rares in cargo hold this time. Im terrible at this. trying to pew pew anacondas and dropships while carrying precious and 'stolen goods' from other loot.

morpheps
December 27 2014, 06:00:08 PM
Why would you do both at the same time?

dominus
December 27 2014, 06:27:32 PM
Short update:

In a limited playing time since launch, i played with Kb/mouse combo, and it was pretty decent. I found a good key maping on official forums, and used that, it was decent. (until Christmas)

Sold my freagle immediately to pimp my sidewinder for trucking. As soon as possible i got into hauler, and fitted it for cargo runs. Sold its one laser, and transferred all power from weapons to engine (4 dot engines, pretty good, can boost faster than sidy). Found a nice 3-4 system cluster with rich economies of various types, and abused those market discrepancies until i accumulated 150k creds + fully pimped my hauler (18ton, long distance FSD). Last night i run my first rare item run. And.. now im owner of a brand new Cobra Mk. III, with 32 ton cargobay, better FSD, Better fuelscoop, etc. I got 150k left, for a new rare items run. :-P

Now the plan is to make another rare run, buy an Eagle and pimp it for combat, and go bounty hunting.

Also, for Christmas my wife got me Logitech extreme 3D pro joystick (while i was still in hauler), and I am SOO MUCH happy with it. Like steering wheel for driving games, this just adds so much to realism and immersion of playing. Works great, the flappy thing as throttle is stupidly useful and its just a pleasure to fly with it. Also 12 buttons, yo.

Here are some impressions/rants:

1. WTB EVE route planning (seriously, what the fuck is that?)

2. Getting away from interdictors is lol. Even when they interdicted me, boost, maneuver, boost, FSD is online, see you sucker

3. I jumped into some system with strange pale white star, which IMMEDIATELY bumped me out of supercruise due to heat damage. Like in a second, didnt even have time to make a sharp u turn before it damaged me so hard to drop me out of SC. Any tips how NOT to do that?

4. Fuel scoping is slow (i got a better one now, so we shall see.)

5. Whoever posted that table of rare runs, X up for + reps

6. Hauler cockpit is nice - until you try to look up - wtf?? Its not a camper, its a spaceship, yo

7. Dat Cobra cockpit :companioncube:

dominus
December 27 2014, 06:28:59 PM
20ton of rares in cargo hold this time. Im terrible at this. trying to pew pew anacondas and dropships while carrying precious and 'stolen goods' from other loot.

Even I am not that dumb, here is + rep

Kraken
December 27 2014, 07:06:45 PM
20ton of rares in cargo hold this time. Im terrible at this. trying to pew pew anacondas and dropships while carrying precious and 'stolen goods' from other loot.

Even I am not that dumb, here is + rep

I like to play on hard more i guess. ill never learn.

morpheps
December 27 2014, 07:15:30 PM
Short update:

In a limited playing time since launch, i played with Kb/mouse combo, and it was pretty decent. I found a good key maping on official forums, and used that, it was decent. (until Christmas)

Sold my freagle immediately to pimp my sidewinder for trucking. As soon as possible i got into hauler, and fitted it for cargo runs. Sold its one laser, and transferred all power from weapons to engine (4 dot engines, pretty good, can boost faster than sidy). Found a nice 3-4 system cluster with rich economies of various types, and abused those market discrepancies until i accumulated 150k creds + fully pimped my hauler (18ton, long distance FSD). Last night i run my first rare item run. And.. now im owner of a brand new Cobra Mk. III, with 32 ton cargobay, better FSD, Better fuelscoop, etc. I got 150k left, for a new rare items run. :-P

Now the plan is to make another rare run, buy an Eagle and pimp it for combat, and go bounty hunting.

Also, for Christmas my wife got me Logitech extreme 3D pro joystick (while i was still in hauler), and I am SOO MUCH happy with it. Like steering wheel for driving games, this just adds so much to realism and immersion of playing. Works great, the flappy thing as throttle is stupidly useful and its just a pleasure to fly with it. Also 12 buttons, yo.

2. Getting away from interdictors is lol. Even when they interdicted me, boost, maneuver, boost, FSD is online, see you sucker

3. I jumped into some system with strange pale white star, which IMMEDIATELY bumped me out of supercruise due to heat damage. Like in a second, didnt even have time to make a sharp u turn before it damaged me so hard to drop me out of SC. Any tips how NOT to do that?

6. Hauler cockpit is nice - until you try to look up - wtf?? Its not a camper, its a spaceship, yo

1. Hey, we got that thing not long ago. Life was harder when we had nuthin.. *shakes fists*

2. It is somewhat harder it fatter ships :)

3. I like to pull back my throttle to idle when in warp. You have very little room to wiggle in with those stars.

4. Find the sweet spot. With my current scoop, I can scoop around 25/s without going higher than 100 heat.

5. X - glad it's useful

6. Word!

7. Wait till you see some of the more expensive ships :)

Darkening
December 27 2014, 08:20:05 PM
Still got find a weapon setup for my cobra that i'm happy with.

Using beams and small gats right now, might change the gats for missiles at some point, once i finished fully specing out the systems.

Dave1180
December 27 2014, 08:23:22 PM

Using beams and small gats right now, might change the gats for missiles at some point, once i finished fully specing out the systems.
Just kitted mine out the same, what do you think is the draw back with that setup?

Torashuu
December 27 2014, 08:45:37 PM
Short update:

1. Hey, we got that thing not long ago. Life was harder when we had nuthin.. *shakes fists*

2. It is somewhat harder it fatter ships :)

3. I like to pull back my throttle to idle when in warp. You have very little room to wiggle in with those stars.

4. Find the sweet spot. With my current scoop, I can scoop around 25/s without going higher than 100 heat.

5. X - glad it's useful

6. Word!

7. Wait till you see some of the more expensive ships :)

You won't take heat damage untill 150%, so you if you stay below you should be fine. Also bigger scoops take in more. Class 2 E will do 65/s Class 2 A will do 75/s

Approaching Walrus
December 27 2014, 08:47:42 PM
Finally got this game and my god I am terrible. Cannot trade worth a damn and the shitwinder has such awful jump range that I am having trouble finding a place to sell exploration data. 'Invested' what few credits I had into some mining equipment and got blown away by an NPC.

Darkening
December 27 2014, 10:22:28 PM

Just kitted mine out the same, what do you think is the draw back with that setup?

Still using the basic powerplant and power grid in it so that might be holding me back.

[edit] Just fitted torps to the cobra and 30k for one shot with them.

Approaching Walrus
December 27 2014, 11:15:55 PM
Jesus I can't even take the awful 1000cr courier missions because the shitwinder can't jump far enough

Devec
December 27 2014, 11:54:11 PM
I equipped the fuel scoop and went on a mission to find myself a way into alliance space. Made some decent money (like 30k) just from jumping from system to system and hitting the basic scanner before I jumped out again.

Called it a night and stopped at a station with an outfitting service. Seems it is impossible to actually buy a single item to outfit my ship with at said station though :psyduck:

Ben Derindar
December 28 2014, 12:09:32 AM
Jesus I can't even take the awful 1000cr courier missions because the shitwinder can't jump far enough

If you're not gonna pew with your sidey, sell your starter weapons (this isn't as daft an idea as it sounds, combat is pretty easy to avoid). The reduced total ship mass will boost your jump range a bit.

Edit: as you start to make a little coin, upgrade your fittings to D grade. Most D grade variations have smaller mass than the E defaults, so they will help with your jump range further.

Ben Derindar
December 28 2014, 12:25:04 AM

You can plot a route to a given system from the galaxy map. This is different from simply selecting the system; the selected target shows up in your navigation with a different icon than the next location along your plotted route, and selecting a new target will not break your next route target.

Decelerate while in hyperspace, before you arrive. You should stop much more quickly once you arrive.

If you're finding it slow, you're probably undersized. I'm in a Cobra atm, and I'd tried fitting a class 2 scoop to save myself a larger compartment. But it was just so slow I ended up going class 4 anyway, and now I can scoop 100/s no problem.

Haha. I actually tried an Adder yesterday, it's pretty much the same as the Hauler, except it's a 2-seater cockpit, and you're sitting on the right-hand side. :?

Very yes.

Straight Hustlin
December 28 2014, 01:09:05 AM
Cobra cockpit comes at a price, its very exposed and easy to hit; ive actually killed my self twice by high speed collisions directly into the glass

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Tibor Ferenc
December 28 2014, 01:34:20 AM
ATM just dipping in and out, running 10-15k 1 jump delivery boy shit and fetch commodities missions when i have time. Fancy pimping my cobra enough to diversify into a bit into combat, yet maintaining peasant trucker casual income. What sort of cash requirement should i be aiming for and upgrade path should I consider?

Straight Hustlin
December 28 2014, 01:45:16 AM
I spent about 150k on top of the initial purchase; got a pair of very nice gimballed pulse lasers, two fairly decent multicannons, chaff launcher, warrant scanner, and fsd interdictor. Also swapped one of the cargo bays for a fuel scoop. Then went out to make some more cash, came back and picked up a nice distributor, shield generator, sensors & engines. Havent been able to find a better fsd than the one that it came with

Tibor Ferenc
December 28 2014, 02:09:50 AM
Thanks. On a side note I would love sharing a hollowed out asteroid with a bunch of bastards, hangers, wharehouse etc.

Kraken
December 28 2014, 03:59:35 AM
figured out how to kill elite anacondas solo for those kill missions... kite the conda till the cops show up. then the cops destract it enough for chafs and much pew and much missiles and its dead :)

QuackBot
December 28 2014, 05:00:22 AM
Cobra cockpit comes at a price, its very exposed and easy to hit; ive actually killed my self twice by high speed collisions directly into the glass

Its not free.

Cosmin
December 28 2014, 07:13:19 AM
figured out how to kill elite anacondas solo for those kill missions... kite the conda till the cops show up. then the cops destract it enough for chafs and much pew and much missiles and its dead :)

They serve as a good distraction, yes, but you should remember a few key points:
- if you have illegal (stolen) goods in your cargohold, you will be scanned and fined and/or explodificated by Elite Cop Anacondas;
- you will not get the kill (afaik) unless you kill the ship (or the power plant, my favourite); cop ships are a good distraction but you should tread carefully and try to keep to the underbelly of the Anaconda at all times;
- if you run away too much, you will lose lock on the power plant and you'll need to dig up through menus to re-target it;
- if one of the cops gets in your line of fire and you hit them by any chance, hello KoS/wanted/everybody wants your arse on a platter.

Other than that yep perfectly fine with getting cop assist :)

Sandzibar
December 28 2014, 09:51:43 AM
- if you run away too much, you will lose lock on the power plant and you'll need to dig up through menus to re-target it;

Bind a key to cycle backwards through subtargets. FSD and Powercore is near the end of the list, so it saves you going through the shitton of guns of point defense targets.

Lana Torrin
December 28 2014, 10:01:32 AM
Oh yeah thats better.. Class 5 fuel scoop (300+/s) and type C FSD for 18Ly jumps.. NOW the asp is better... Now all I need is 9Mil for the 20+ Ly jump FSD

Sandzibar
December 28 2014, 10:16:51 AM
Got my asp yesterday. Was VERY disappointed that it only has 128 cargo max. For some reason I thought it had 160.

6+ mill over my type6 for an extra 16 cargo. :sadface:

Lana Torrin
December 28 2014, 10:54:33 AM
Got my asp yesterday. Was VERY disappointed that it only has 128 cargo max. For some reason I thought it had 160.

It isnt a dedicated transport like the type 6.. it will jump a TONE further though.

Go for a Type-7

Sandzibar
December 28 2014, 11:11:51 AM

It isnt a dedicated transport like the type 6.. it will jump a TONE further though.

Go for a Type-7

17 mil for the type 7 though innit...

16 tons is 16 tons I guess. Else id be sitting on cash thats doing nothing.

Nicholai Pestot
December 28 2014, 12:28:27 PM

Alternatively fit shield cells, target its reactor and apply the following tactic

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsmlgeLSsX1qj6qk9o1_250.gif

Lana Torrin
December 28 2014, 12:43:22 PM

Go for a Type-7

C

But a good fit for the Asp is going to cost you about that anyway...

Cerzi
December 28 2014, 12:56:32 PM
So I got my greasy mits on a freakin oculus rift, and it is literally the coolest shit ever just messing with tech demos. I should definitely buy Elite, right? And I guess mouse and keyboard is pretty meh? Anyone recommend a decent affordable flightstick for it?

Lana Torrin
December 28 2014, 12:59:05 PM
So I got my greasy mits on a freakin oculus rift, and it is literally the coolest shit ever just messing with tech demos. I should definitely buy Elite, right? And I guess mouse and keyboard is pretty meh? Anyone recommend a decent affordable flightstick for it?

I'm using the FLY5 and its fine. So far I haven't needed to mash the keyboard for anything (except navigation, but you need to do that even with an expensive stick)

morpheps
December 28 2014, 01:07:51 PM
Map stuff can be mapped to hotas buttons. In fact, if you plan on using Oculus, you need to, since mouse support is borked atm. And with rift, you will want to use Voice attack and a stick.

Cerzi
December 28 2014, 01:15:08 PM
First I've heard of Voice Attack, looks very useful. Does the game play with an xbox controller if mouse support is fucked? Probably gonna buy it today, but wont have a stick for a few days. Any recommendations on a solid stick for under, like, 40 quid?

morpheps
December 28 2014, 01:20:47 PM
Yes, lots of people using controllers. I have no experience with it, but it seems to work.

Regarding sticks in that range, I think Logitech has some decent stuff. Not sure, but there's a few in this thread that use those.

Sandzibar
December 28 2014, 01:22:03 PM

Go for a Type-7

C

You can sell back the parts for 0 loss though.

Its only when you sell a ship you take the 10% sale hit. You limit that by stripping it down to the cheapest shit before you trade it in.

Lana Torrin
December 28 2014, 01:24:15 PM

Go for a Type-7

C

You can sell back the parts for 0 loss though.

Its only when you sell a ship you take the 10% sale hit. You limit that by stripping it down to the cheapest shit.

Yeah what I meant was upgrade the asp with the cash then when it good you'll have enough to ditch it.

Darkening
December 28 2014, 01:35:48 PM

Thrustmaster hotas X for 35

Kraken
December 28 2014, 01:54:15 PM

Thrustmaster hotas X for 35

this.

Saul
December 28 2014, 01:54:22 PM
Looks like the map trading data might be starting to catch up with the markets after the trade fixes. The commodities I've been trading are now showing up as exports to the respective planets I've been trading them to (after about 2-3 days of trading).

Prior to this, import/export just showed the same old systems - none of which I was trading to.

Edit: Trading data updated at both ends of the route... kinda cool knowing I did that (or at least helped). Guess now it's listed prices will start to drop as other motherfuckers start to use it. Prices still stable atm though.

Cosmin
December 28 2014, 02:58:38 PM
So how do I get this map view? Been fiddling around, no luck.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130715215457/elite-dangerous/images/5/5f/Map_View.png

Sandzibar
December 28 2014, 03:10:35 PM
So how do I get this map view? Been fiddling around, no luck.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130715215457/elite-dangerous/images/5/5f/Map_View.png

hehe. yeah concept art looked nice.

Cosmin
December 28 2014, 03:49:04 PM
So the hamsters melt if pwetty pictures? :(

I thought that somehow made it in the final version of the game, oh well.

morpheps
December 28 2014, 08:42:45 PM
Looks like the map trading data might be starting to catch up with the markets after the trade fixes. The commodities I've been trading are now showing up as exports to the respective planets I've been trading them to (after about 2-3 days of trading).

Prior to this, import/export just showed the same old systems - none of which I was trading to.

Edit: Trading data updated at both ends of the route... kinda cool knowing I did that (or at least helped). Guess now it's listed prices will start to drop as other motherfuckers start to use it. Prices still stable atm though.

What kind of profits are you pulling on that route? Seems that if 1k+ routes are returning, going off the Rare Trade Run with a Type-6 again will be more profitable

Saul
December 28 2014, 08:48:42 PM
92/156k round trip, Catalysts + Gold. 2 Jumps with my A type FSD but I'm so utterly bored with the route I may go looking for a 150/150 soon.

Decided to skip the Asp and go straight to Type 7 so I can make some decent trading bux. Already feeling the grind. At almost 13 million currently. Usually Hitech to Industrial/Refinery works well.

Constantinus
December 28 2014, 09:14:51 PM
Hrm, so far im not having particularly much fun with the game. So far i find it time consuming and outright boring to make any money with the sidewinder ( waiting at navpoints for bounties was a good tip but at the end of the day it's shooting at dumb npcs for little money) while the universe feels empty and the frameshift travels annoys me (constantly overshooting, but that probably gets better with some mroe practice).
Perhaps i just miss Eve's densely populated systems but atm Elite feels a bit like the X games without the mods and less things to do.
So, any advice on how to get less bored (and perhaps a little more rich)? And please don't say trading :D

morpheps
December 28 2014, 09:42:07 PM
Hrm, so far im not having particularly much fun with the game. So far i find it time consuming and outright boring to make any money with the sidewinder ( waiting at navpoints for bounties was a good tip but at the end of the day it's shooting at dumb npcs for little money) while the universe feels empty and the frameshift travels annoys me (constantly overshooting, but that probably gets better with some mroe practice).
Perhaps i just miss Eve's densely populated systems but atm Elite feels a bit like the X games without the mods and less things to do.
So, any advice on how to get less bored (and perhaps a little more rich)? And please don't say trading :D

1. Making money early on
Best bet is either make enough via pewing NPCs until you can afford a Hauler, or a decent mining setup. Otherwise, do courier missions till you drop.

2. Universe feels empty
This isn't an MMO. There are a bazillion stars, and not a bazillion players, so it's bound to feel a bit lonely (but hey, on the bright side, that's fairly realistic). I'd love for a "bigger" game, with some decent hub systems where you could feel the buzz, and then striking out to one of the more remote areas and feel really alone, but currently, this game is not that, and might never be.

3. Frameshift travel and overshooting
Supercruise is super easy. Stay in the blue and you really need to fuck up to overshoot. Seriously - it's not hard. Rule of thumb; if you're going faster than 0:06 ETA, you're going too fast. Stay in the blue.

4. Bored...
There's a lot to see. Go explore some, pay attention to the news sections, and go to one of the systems where stuff is happening. Loose a few Sidewinders in the aid of Senator Torval and tell the tale of When You Were There(TM). Set yourself a goal. For example, reach X system, visist this Nebula, get ship X or whatever makes you tick. Go stare into a few binary star systems, or even find a triple. Go see what a Super Red Giant really looks like (google 5 biggest stars, then go look for them).

5. ... and don't want to trade
Initially, it's the easiest way to get space rich. The bar is just so low. You'll need maybe 100-150k to setup a decent Adder and leftover to do a Rare There and Back Run - which will net you somewhere between 4-600k per hour. Mining will earn you more or equal, although with a slightly higher investment up front. You can say that ugh; I don't want to trade, and I don't want to mine, and I don't want to farm NPCs - but then the answer is, well - enjoy your Sidewinder :) A few hours of Rare Trading or mining or whatever will set you up with enough Cr to fit a decent Viper or even a Cobra, and then you can do whatever floats your bot, be it Exploration or PewPew.

6. Final note
Go read up on coming features and realize that even though the game is live and no longer in early access, it's still very early on.

Torashuu
December 28 2014, 09:44:24 PM

Challenge yourself, get a frame shift interdictor& cargo scanner, start robbing people in alliance/empire/fed systems and don't pay off the bounty. You won't get insta spacerich but for sure it'll be more of a challenge.

morpheps
December 28 2014, 09:46:24 PM
92/156k round trip, Catalysts + Gold. 2 Jumps with my A type FSD but I'm so utterly bored with the route I may go looking for a 150/150 soon.

Decided to skip the Asp and go straight to Type 7 so I can make some decent trading bux. Already feeling the grind. At almost 13 million currently. Usually Hitech to Industrial/Refinery works well.

Using a Type-6 I imagine?

Constantinus
December 28 2014, 09:48:43 PM
Thanks guys, im feeling somewhat more motivated and less convinced that i wasted money now (also because i got a nice bounty of 18k just after writing my initial post :D). Im probably either going to save a few more credits for the Eagle and try some more pewpew or i save up for an Adder and play StarTrek (basicaly going where no man has gone before :D)

McRoll
December 28 2014, 10:49:23 PM
What would be the best choice of a ship after a sidewinder? I just started and dont have a clue what to go for. Since I suck at trading I wanted to go for NPC hunting and wanted to try out mining maybe.
Right now sitting in a sidewinder in a nice system cruising around it and checking out unidentified signal sources. Shooting NPC's there and collecting bounty as well as scooping some occasional goods which I sell at the black market in the system station.

Should I continue doing that or is there a better way to earn money? I have maybe around 5 hrs playtime now. So far I have 120 k credits. Was lucky and got a fat bounty of over 30 k from an NPC.

McRoll
December 28 2014, 10:49:37 PM
What would be the best choice of a ship after a sidewinder? I just started and dont have a clue what to go for. Since I suck at trading I wanted to go for NPC hunting and wanted to try out mining maybe.
I guess I'm looking for an allrounder with some more cargohold than the sidewinder and a bit more "oomph" in the gun department.
Right now sitting in a sidewinder in a nice system cruising around it and checking out unidentified signal sources. Shooting NPC's there and collecting bounty as well as scooping some occasional goods which I sell at the black market in the system station.

Should I continue doing that or is there a better way to earn money? I have maybe around 5 hrs playtime now. So far I have 120 k credits. Was lucky and got a fat bounty of over 30 k from an NPC.

Torashuu
December 28 2014, 11:02:40 PM
Shootin: Eagle
Spacetrucking: Hauler
Explorin (and also spacetruckin): Adder

Next allrounder: Cobra

Kraken
December 28 2014, 11:21:03 PM

Eagel is a great deal better than sidewinder, just sidewinder has a little more cargo. for pew the eagle does well. turns very well. I skipped the adder i just pew pewed wanted at nav beacons and looted whatever cargo i could make ships drop. when they drop a few items they can be worth 2-4k on the blackmarket or more. stay close to a station and drop them off and keep going. get a kill warrent scanner and you can get bounties in other sytems also for later. the interdictor mod i have on, i just use it in passing. if i see a cobra mk3 or anything more expensive while in supercruise i give it a quick scan, if its wanted. PEW PEW! 10-20k easy kill.

aim to take on up to cobras in the eagle, fit 1 burst laser and 2 mutli cannons. go for gimbled. you have to check a few stations to find them.

maybe do the pirate mission, anything wanted goes towards this and then for killing the same pirates you would at nav beacons you get 10-15k for the mission also
ive killed a few players also, people who were clumsy and hit the cops, 200-300 bounty but worth it for the player tears. i actually watch out for players trying to engage with the law around, maybe try to get closer to the target so they hit me. And always always, steal the motherfucking Kill. :D ive had a guy rage at me for that and start shooting. glorious.

The cobra is better in everyway, apart from turning. you could 'cheap out' and get the viper. viper is combat oriantated, its a fighter. to replace the eagle. however. thats all it does. poor slots compared to the cobra. cobra goes fast, boosts fast, has nice easy cargo, often 32 cargo, 16 fuel, and a bunch more slots for goodies. you can travel realistically in the cobra, not the viper, very low jump range. it takes a while but work up to the C or B FSB on the cobra and you can do 15-18 range jumps, makes doing rare runs less painful.
I now have the A type so 20ly jumps, that means every few jumps im at a rare station and in my run of 5 stations every 5 jumps im dropping in 100-150k profits. if i can stick to my rare run i can avoid needing to get a hauler to haul normal market goods, sure 150k both ways for 1-3 jumps sounds nice but i have to invest in a hauler for that and i cant do any pew in a hauler.

Currently i can scan a system on the way to a station, pew people in anarchy system for lulz, take on the 150k kill missions (once cops show up to help) or interdict folks just because im a bastard all while still kinda hauling rares.
I know its not playing it safe. but safe is boring.

Once i get a better ship after this for combat (is the asp better than cobra in everyway? if not what is, what do i aim for next?) ill start doing missions, probably for the federation somewhere.

Approaching Walrus
December 29 2014, 01:05:42 AM
After parking myself at a nav point for a while I managed to grind enough cash to upgrade from the shitwinder to an eagle, then a Viper. Think I'll stick with the Viper for a very long time, it can pack sooo much firepower.

I've made my way to LHS 331 in Alliance space near Alioth and will stay here for the time being.

Darkening
December 29 2014, 01:58:31 AM
After parking myself at a nav point for a while I managed to grind enough cash to upgrade from the shitwinder to an eagle, then a Viper. Think I'll stick with the Viper for a very long time, it can pack sooo much firepower.

I've made my way to LHS 331 in Alliance space near Alioth and will stay here for the time being.

You can make 150k an hour in a nav point, i stick around for about 40mins before i head back to rearm and get some repairs.

Ralara
December 29 2014, 07:54:51 AM
The nav points at the stars, yeah?

On my eagle I got 3 gimbled (turreted?) pulse lasers and an upgraded power plant. Need to upgrade to beam lasers i think.

Straight Hustlin
December 29 2014, 08:08:11 AM

On my eagle I got 3 gimbled (turreted?) pulse lasers and an upgraded power plant. Need to upgrade to beam lasers i think.

More important than getting a different kind (pulse, burst, beam all have pro/cons) is getting ones that are better grade.

Also you should put a multi cannon or a missile rack on the top mount; They are much better against hulls vs lasers which are better for shields.

Cosmin
December 29 2014, 08:16:40 AM
Trying to do trade runs, have a Cobra with an upgraded FSD that can do 14.13LY jumps but the map is fucking with me, meaning I can do the jumps then suddenly I can't. WTF is it with this? I've sold all stuff making it heavy (guns, shield generator, etc), the only other FSD is a bit too expensive, so meh. Is it a map derp or wut?

Trindermon
December 29 2014, 08:52:47 AM
Trying to do trade runs, have a Cobra with an upgraded FSD that can do 14.13LY jumps but the map is fucking with me, meaning I can do the jumps then suddenly I can't. WTF is it with this? I've sold all stuff making it heavy (guns, shield generator, etc), the only other FSD is a bit too expensive, so meh. Is it a map derp or wut?

not had problems like this. assume that you are a looking at the laden jump range and not the empty cargo space range?

Dee Jiensai
December 29 2014, 09:08:59 AM

not had problems like this. assume that you are a looking at the laden jump range and not the empty cargo space range?

Fuel also has weight. If you are flying empty you can go further.

Cosmin
December 29 2014, 09:11:49 AM
Outfitted an Adder for laden 20ly jump range and I still can't reach Hecate, wtf!

morpheps
December 29 2014, 09:28:11 AM

The route planner is sometimes buggy. What I do if I cannot select a system say 80 Ly away, is find a closer system, set destination for that, and then go back to where I wanted to go and often it's selectable again. Sometimes you have to do it multiple times. In general, I find that you can select systems further away at once if you've checked Economical, but I mostly use Fastest route.

SupaflyTNT
December 29 2014, 09:35:47 AM
Sometimes the map takes a little time to update your jump length too. All those little lines that spider away from your current system showing where you can jump too take a while to reach the farther systems. Ive found if I wait 10 secs or so a system that I should be able to reach but cant becomes available as a dest.

Cosmin
December 29 2014, 10:21:10 AM
Mright-o, so the route planner is retarded in terms that it takes into consideration your fuel tank as well (content, not weight), so basically although one already has the range, you can't make it because no fuel would be available en-route. Sadly, it doesn't take into consideration the presence of a fuel scoop, which is quite a big no-no. I mean really I want to be able to set destination and only have taken into consideration the distances to be jumped, not the fuel necessary, at least when there's a fuel scoop present. Can't be bothered to open a thread on E:D forums tbqh about this, but I fear it won't be (ever) fixed.

Torashuu
December 29 2014, 10:21:25 AM

Eagel is a great deal better than sidewinder, just sidewinder has a little more cargo. for pew the eagle does well. turns very well. I skipped the adder i just pew pewed wanted at nav beacons and looted whatever cargo i could make ships drop. when they drop a few items they can be worth 2-4k on the blackmarket or more. stay close to a station and drop them off and keep going. get a kill warrent scanner and you can get bounties in other sytems also for later. the interdictor mod i have on, i just use it in passing. if i see a cobra mk3 or anything more expensive while in supercruise i give it a quick scan, if its wanted. PEW PEW! 10-20k easy kill.

aim to take on up to cobras in the eagle, fit 1 burst laser and 2 mutli cannons. go for gimbled. you have to check a few stations to find them.

maybe do the pirate mission, anything wanted goes towards this and then for killing the same pirates you would at nav beacons you get 10-15k for the mission also
ive killed a few players also, people who were clumsy and hit the cops, 200-300 bounty but worth it for the player tears. i actually watch out for players trying to engage with the law around, maybe try to get closer to the target so they hit me. And always always, steal the motherfucking Kill. :D ive had a guy rage at me for that and start shooting. glorious.

The cobra is better in everyway, apart from turning. you could 'cheap out' and get the viper. viper is combat oriantated, its a fighter. to replace the eagle. however. thats all it does. poor slots compared to the cobra. cobra goes fast, boosts fast, has nice easy cargo, often 32 cargo, 16 fuel, and a bunch more slots for goodies. you can travel realistically in the cobra, not the viper, very low jump range. it takes a while but work up to the C or B FSB on the cobra and you can do 15-18 range jumps, makes doing rare runs less painful.
I now have the A type so 20ly jumps, that means every few jumps im at a rare station and in my run of 5 stations every 5 jumps im dropping in 100-150k profits. if i can stick to my rare run i can avoid needing to get a hauler to haul normal market goods, sure 150k both ways for 1-3 jumps sounds nice but i have to invest in a hauler for that and i cant do any pew in a hauler.

Currently i can scan a system on the way to a station, pew people in anarchy system for lulz, take on the 150k kill missions (once cops show up to help) or interdict folks just because im a bastard all while still kinda hauling rares.
I know its not playing it safe. but safe is boring.

Once i get a better ship after this for combat (is the asp better than cobra in everyway? if not what is, what do i aim for next?) ill start doing missions, probably for the federation somewhere.

Pretty much, with the exception that a A kitted Viper shits all over cobras (and any NPCs) combat wise. Jumprange is 12.9 ly (thats with 9tons of reactive armor) and the power hungry weapons take a bit of power management to use but for catching people and nuking them take no substitute. Only thing that got away so far was another Viper as he used 5 shield cells while charging his FSD trying to get away.

The eagle turns better but isn't as fast and is even more power constrained. The viper will outrun everything in practice, theoretically a boosting Cobra is faster but I've yet to see one get away from me. Next upgrade would be a Python, but that isn't quite as fast. And takes about 350 mill to A fit so it becomes mobile.

Had plenty fun hunting NPCs and players in Sorbago in the Viper, only thing I'd wish for was a power plant large enough to run both beams and railguns simultaneously.

Darkening
December 29 2014, 10:31:57 AM
How much is the ammo costing you for the rails?

Torashuu
December 29 2014, 11:16:41 AM
200 cr a shell for class 2s iirc

Somewhere between 6-8 (near)hits will pop the power plant on an anaconda.
They do both kinetic and thermal damage so are good against both shields and armor, have (one of) the best penetration modifiers meaning they do superior subsystem damage as well. Landing shots accurately takes some practice and the power management is a hassle. If you feel like its too much I'd recommend taking (gimballed) multi-cannons instead. ttk is slightly longer but hassle free.

Ralara
December 29 2014, 11:31:14 AM

More important than getting a different kind (pulse, burst, beam all have pro/cons) is getting ones that are better grade.

Also you should put a multi cannon or a missile rack on the top mount; They are much better against hulls vs lasers which are better for shields.

I did put a railgun on my sidewinder. Bit of a mistake as there's not a lot of ammo but wow does it pack a punch. Was taking out Cobra shields in one shot.

Lana Torrin
December 29 2014, 12:09:32 PM
Mright-o, so the route planner is retarded in terms that it takes into consideration your fuel tank as well (content, not weight), so basically although one already has the range, you can't make it because no fuel would be available en-route. Sadly, it doesn't take into consideration the presence of a fuel scoop, which is quite a big no-no. I mean really I want to be able to set destination and only have taken into consideration the distances to be jumped, not the fuel necessary, at least when there's a fuel scoop present. Can't be bothered to open a thread on E:D forums tbqh about this, but I fear it won't be (ever) fixed.

Wait what are we playing a different game?

Lana's list of things people seem to be getting wrong about the route planner.

a) It regenerates the list of systems and routes every time you re-open it. For short jumps this is fine, for longer jumps this can take up to 5 mins.
b) It defaults to your current weight. If you set a route and then take on cargo it might not be able to make some jumps. It wont adjust for you.
c) It gives no shits about your fuel. It will however give you some nice dotted lines for when you should have run out of fuel. If you have a fuel scoop you never see these.
d) Fuel weight is not taken in to account at all.
e) It will only let you plan routes up to 100Ly. If a system is 100.24Ly away you can never plan a route to it without jumping closer first.
f) The select icon (first one, looks like a marker) and the route planner icon (2nd one, looks like a zig zag) are not the same thing. The first one will set your next jump to the exact target you select even if you can jump that far, the route planner plans the route. If you plan a route then select the destination system, it will undo the route.
g) Its fiddly as fuck sometimes to get it to do what you want. Just turn the map a bit and try again.

Mona
December 29 2014, 12:14:19 PM
Trololol

http://i.imgur.com/HrwXIEt.png

Lana Torrin
December 29 2014, 12:16:03 PM
Oh yeah my post... I got bored.

So earlier today I setup my Asp for long range exploration. Just about everything is D fit (because of the weight) except the jump drive (B fit) and some other stuff.. I can do 27Ly in it now. I also have a nice big fuel scoop and the advanced discovery scanner. I'm heading back up our galactic arm toward the Pelican Nebula and im currently 620Ly away from Sol (So probably what, 400Ly out?).. So far I have found squat but im not sticking around and scanning everything down. I'm pretty much making a bee line to the nebula at which point im going to slow down and start scanning groups of systems.

Ralara
December 29 2014, 12:49:24 PM
I'm trying to get to Sol but I can't. I can't seem to find a route. The route button is red and I can't click on it.

Why is this? Every direction I go in, I seem to find dead ends. I'm at work so can't remember the system name that I'm in but Sol is about 70 lightyears from me. I've gone 30-40 light years up and down and side to side but I just can't seem to make it past this "gap".

I'm 30 sectors one way and -50 another way from 0.0.0

I think it's 30.-50.-1 actually.

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2q0he5/anyone_else_hate_lhs_3447/

that system is the one i started in

LHS3447

piece of shit solar system.

Cosmin
December 29 2014, 12:57:28 PM
e) It will only let you plan routes up to 100Ly. If a system is 100.24Ly away you can never plan a route to it without jumping closer first.

Mystery solved, thanks :)

Sent via iPigeon.

Saul
December 29 2014, 03:30:40 PM
General margin trading advice for the new starters:

Always use high-population systems/stations. Higher population = higher demand.

High supply goods are sold for the cheapest and hence command the best margins. If you can find two stations with high demands and high supplies to match, you've got a good run.

Bearing the above point in mind, always keep an eye on product volumes. Medium supply goods can still command margins of 900+/ton if produced at silly volumes (usually 250,000 or more).

High-Tech to Refinery/Industrial tends to be one of the better setups, especially if you can find a High-Tech with high supply of Consumer Technology.

Metals also tend to be quite good, Indium used to be surprisingly high-demand almost everywhere back in Gamma.

Higher cost goods usually command higher margins. Don't bother with any margin below 750+ profit per ton. Don't bother with any goods that cost less than a few thousand per ton.

Spread out. Areas around starter systems will be heavily populated with players all hitting the same routes and consequently trading will be less profitable - get a good 100LY away for best profits.

Expect to make multiple jumps. Back in Beta/Gamma you could often find single-jump and same-system trades, but almost all of those seem to be gone. Now the market's stabilising after the NPC trading bug they may reappear, but don't be surprised if you have to go 4-5 jumps for the 1500/ton profit routes. Sometimes a good run can involve multiple stops for the best profit e.g. 1500/ton from System A to System B Station 1, then 1500/ton from System B Station 2 to System A Station 1.

Expect trading routes to become less profitable over time, forcing you to move on. As more demand is filled, prices will drop - this is why traders keep their routes secret, so they stay profitable for as long as possible. If you travel for non-trade purposes, keep an eye on the markets as you travel to help find your next good run.

Ignore the map data. Ignore all of it for the time being, but I did notice my route appear on the map & trade data the other day so map data may start to become more useful as time goes by and the old data is flushed out of the system. Check once a week or so and if map data actually starts to become a real representation, post up so we know.

McRoll
December 29 2014, 07:09:38 PM
Is it possible to store weapons for later use and buy other stuff meanwhile? I cannot change weapons without selling the old ones. I wanted to store some mining lasers and a refinery at a station to refit if i wanna mine a bit between shooting.

Straight Hustlin
December 29 2014, 07:12:38 PM
Is it possible to store weapons for later use and buy other stuff meanwhile? I cannot change weapons without selling the old ones. I wanted to store some mining lasers and a refinery at a station to refit if i wanna mine a bit between shooting.

No you cannot; but you get 100% exchange on fittings, so you do not lose any money by selling them.

morpheps
December 29 2014, 07:52:45 PM
Tried a bit of margin trading, but after travelling 150 LY from the core and still being unable to break 1k/t on my 4th try (4 different routes) I tired of searching. See the world they said. Do some High Tech to Refinery they said. I'd rather be sailing (http://eliteraretrader.co.uk/?route=6,84,13,26,10,62,72,52,51,23,8,71,86,41,19, 67,68,79,77,30,1,31&name=Rare%20Route%20-%20T6) (note: not created by me, but going to try it in a T6 now).

Kraken
December 29 2014, 08:37:52 PM
buy them when ready, just have to remember which station sells them i guess if you had another ship at a station that could be fitted ready for mining...

Kraken
December 29 2014, 08:48:42 PM
Tried a bit of margin trading, but after travelling 150 LY from the core and still being unable to break 1k/t on my 4th try (4 different routes) I tired of searching. See the world they said. Do some High Tech to Refinery they said. I'd rather be sailing (http://eliteraretrader.co.uk/?route=6,84,13,26,10,62,72,52,51,23,8,71,86,41,19, 67,68,79,77,30,1,31&name=Rare%20Route%20-%20T6) (note: not created by me, but going to try it in a T6 now).

holy christ! im still doing this btw:

but what you linked, all those jumps! thats one hell of a haul of cargo! how much could the max cargo be on that run at the highest capacity point?

CastleBravo
December 29 2014, 09:13:19 PM

Fuel also has weight. If you are flying empty you can go further.

Protip: down-grade your fuel tank if you don't want the extra reserves.

Cosmin
December 29 2014, 09:24:27 PM

Scooping every 1-3 jumps or so becomes really old really fast.

Straight Hustlin
December 29 2014, 09:29:58 PM

Yeah but when it comes to the eagle (which I think started the discussion) you really gimp your jump range by upping the fuel bay and/or cargo from 2->4; and its jump range is shit to begin with. Refueling every few jumps aint so bad with a small fuel bay & a decent scoop; and is certainly better than having to take the scenic route because of lol range.

Kraken
December 29 2014, 09:33:20 PM

Yeah but when it comes to the eagle (which I think started the discussion) you really gimp your jump range by upping the fuel bay and/or cargo from 2->4; and its jump range is shit to begin with. Refueling every few jumps aint so bad with a small fuel bay & a decent scoop; and is certainly better than having to take the scenic route because of lol range.

dont travel anywhere with it? just pew, the eagle is not suited to go anymore than 1 nearby system away for a little mission. just nab bounties and the occassional salvaged loot and soon enough a cobra will be affordable... getting on a cobra for 10k here and 15k there at the navpoint with police help will get your money up real fast, especially fitting a kill warrent scanner. I dont know why you would do any form of travel in the Eagle.

I think they fixed the cops getting the final blow now, so so long as you were in the last % or shoot it once its past 0% you will get the bounty rather than it going to waste.

Cosmin
December 29 2014, 09:38:53 PM
I think the Eagle is mostly useless tbqh, at least for anything else except pew.

morpheps
December 29 2014, 09:42:32 PM

holy christ! im still doing this btw:

but what you linked, all those jumps! thats one hell of a haul of cargo! how much could the max cargo be on that run at the highest capacity point?

I'm doing it in a Type 6 with 96 cargo, so it should do. Coming up on my second unload point now, and I'm about full (Any Na), so it'll be a big payday. It's a bit easier than the route I pasted since it's longer and thus better to do in a Type-6. A lot of the jumps aren't that long either. It's basically fill up, go long, unload, fill up, go long, unload.

Edit: It should be mentioned that this is boring as hell, and I'm doing it while watching Entourage... Also, Autodocking just fucked up my ship. Hurra. Fuck, that was about 80 rares ready to be sold. Fuck that - that's about 1,2 mill in profits :(

Straight Hustlin
December 29 2014, 09:42:42 PM

dont travel anywhere with it? just pew, the eagle is not suited to go anymore than 1 nearby system away for a little mission. just nab bounties and the occassional salvaged loot and soon enough a cobra will be affordable... getting on a cobra for 10k here and 15k there at the navpoint with police help will get your money up real fast, especially fitting a kill warrent scanner. I dont know why you would do any form of travel in the Eagle.

My point is that if you upgrade the eagle's bays; you may literally be unable to go to that 1 nearby system for the mission. Fully loaded & fueled my eagles range was less than 5ly.

Approaching Walrus
December 29 2014, 10:12:50 PM
Been pewing in my viper for a few hours now, got lucky and killed two anacondas for about 200k and another 200k in cobra bounty grinding. Using size 2 gimballed pulse lasers and size 1 rockets. I tried railguns and they do a lot of damage, but rockets are more useful for what I'm doing right now.

I think I'm just going to save for the Asp, the Cobra does not really seem like a useful upgrade for what I'm doing since it does not carry more weapons and spacetrucking isn't something I want to get into just yet.

Saul
December 29 2014, 10:47:22 PM
Edit: It should be mentioned that this is boring as hell, and I'm doing it while watching Entourage... Also, Autodocking just fucked up my ship. Hurra. Fuck, that was about 80 rares ready to be sold. Fuck that - that's about 1,2 mill in profits :(

Docking Computer? shame on you.

Finally got myself a Type 7. Thing really feels like a truck, especially in supercruise. 212 cargo space is go and I've still got the scanner I think so could get 216.

Protip - beta/ks backers will have a permit to the founders system, where all ships (only, not modules) are 10% off. For the smaller ships there's no point making the trip but for anything bigger than a Type 6 its a worthwhile saving.

Kraken
December 29 2014, 10:50:16 PM
Been pewing in my viper for a few hours now, got lucky and killed two anacondas for about 200k and another 200k in cobra bounty grinding. Using size 2 gimballed pulse lasers and size 1 rockets. I tried railguns and they do a lot of damage, but rockets are more useful for what I'm doing right now.

I think I'm just going to save for the Asp, the Cobra does not really seem like a useful upgrade for what I'm doing since it does not carry more weapons and spacetrucking isn't something I want to get into just yet.

shit i wish i saw 200k anacondas about, also shit, 80tn in rares up in smoke? your hauler not survive the docking at all? jesus thats really really rough. all that jumping... I was doing painting of an airfix model while doing it here with my little route...
I heard Viper has heat issues that the cobra has less so, its more capable at handling the load than the viper. but i wouldnt know first hand.

Approaching Walrus
December 29 2014, 11:24:18 PM
I did notice that I was overheating with railguns but with the setup I normally use i have no heat issues. The problem I have with the Viper is the power plant (using a class C) can't keep up with the energy drain from the pulse lasers even with all pips in weapons.

Shaikar
December 29 2014, 11:34:03 PM

My point is that if you upgrade the eagle's bays; you may literally be unable to go to that 1 nearby system for the mission. Fully loaded & fueled my eagles range was less than 5ly.
Fully fuelled and loaded with what?

My eagle has a jump range of ~11.5 LY, and has only had some small upgrades over the stock bounty hunter starter one. (KW scanner and a better distributor is about it.)
I wouldn't try srsbsns exploring or trading in it, but it's got plenty of range for bounty hunting purposes.

Torashuu
December 29 2014, 11:47:03 PM

shit i wish i saw 200k anacondas about, also shit, 80tn in rares up in smoke? your hauler not survive the docking at all? jesus thats really really rough. all that jumping... I was doing painting of an airfix model while doing it here with my little route...
I heard Viper has heat issues that the cobra has less so, its more capable at handling the load than the viper. but i wouldnt know first hand.

wrt to heat, not that you'd notice. Limited power is more noticeable. But then the cobra gets poor hardpoint placement. If you feel like the cobra is better, by all means.

Ralara
December 30 2014, 12:09:54 AM

really?

I just set my speed to like 10% and aim about an inch above the sun whilst browsing the system and markets. After 2 mins of that my fuel bay is full.

Lana Torrin
December 30 2014, 12:15:03 AM
I'm trying to get to Sol but I can't. I can't seem to find a route. The route button is red and I can't click on it.

Why is this? Every direction I go in, I seem to find dead ends. I'm at work so can't remember the system name that I'm in but Sol is about 70 lightyears from me. I've gone 30-40 light years up and down and side to side but I just can't seem to make it past this "gap".

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/2q0he5/anyone_else_hate_lhs_3447/

LHS3447

So no one answered this.

Some systems need a pass or they are locked out. You are either having an issue from my previous post (just let it sit there and work it out a bit longer) or you don't have a pass to Sol. I thought everyone got a sol pass but I guess it could have been limited to backers/alpha/beta players.. I forget where you check for passes but its somewhere on the screen on your right.

Shaikar
December 30 2014, 12:20:41 AM

LHS3447

So no one answered this.

Some systems need a pass or they are locked out. You are either having an issue from my previous post (just let it sit there and work it out a bit longer) or you don't have a pass to Sol. I thought everyone got a sol pass but I guess it could have been limited to backers/alpha/beta players.. I forget where you check for passes but its somewhere on the screen on your right.

On the left, under the "Permits" subtab of "Status".

Saul
December 30 2014, 12:36:40 AM
So no one answered this.

Fed reps for Sol system access iirc. Sol pass was a Beta backer reward.

Lana Torrin
December 30 2014, 01:58:20 AM
So I umm... found this..

http://onebit.us/x/i/y1rJzUOJZe.png

http://onebit.us/x/i/WCpAEBCcTd.png

Approaching Walrus
December 30 2014, 02:06:23 AM
is that a brown dwarf hypergiant? wtf

Shaikar
December 30 2014, 02:22:54 AM
It's a Thargoid BattlePlum. :shitshit:

Cosmin
December 30 2014, 02:26:31 AM

really?

I just set my speed to like 10% and aim about an inch above the sun whilst browsing the system and markets. After 2 mins of that my fuel bay is full.

2 minutes times 6j per rare run, it adds up to quite a lot :)

Sent via iPigeon.

Saul
December 30 2014, 02:34:20 AM
Type 7 kicks ass. Surprisingly nimble at blue speeds once you get some decent thrusters on it but never feels like anything other than a truck. Took no time at all to kit it out with B & C class modules at half a mil or so each.

Half a mil is one round trip now @ 3 jumps each way (same stations/products as before). 5.5 mil to put a Type A FSD on the Type 7 and then I'm saving for an Asp.

Lana Torrin
December 30 2014, 02:36:27 AM

It said something about close to the end f its life.. There were 2 planets closer to it than the warp in and I nearly had to cook myself to get a scan on the closest one.

Lana Torrin
December 30 2014, 02:55:11 AM
I found life...

http://onebit.us/x/i/2lsjc2PLlY.png

Ivy_Lash
December 30 2014, 02:55:50 AM
all the youtube videos I watch on this game make it look really good.

Lana Torrin
December 30 2014, 04:47:37 AM
So like all good explorers I have gotten side tracked in my quest to reach the pelican nebula by something bright and shiny.. I have been tracking a cluster of stars for about the last 500Ly. Every jump seems to get me closer but I've been unable to work out on the map where it actually is. They started off as a small smudge and I thought it was a supermassive star, but as I got closer it became obvious that it was multiple very bright stars.

Is the grouping on the left.
http://onebit.us/x/i/nSXaoxrsYf.png

So I finally figured out what it is. Its a nebula and its almost as close as the pelican nebula is to me now (about 1,500 Ly). I managed to actually find it on the map. I have found me a new target.

http://onebit.us/x/i/KyAJ8el2Vg.png

Izo Azlion
December 30 2014, 05:35:19 AM

Like anything on youtube it flashes its tits at you in a 3 minute video and you're married. Then five minutes into the relationship that the bitch you've married is actually really fucking boring, takes forever to get anywhere, getting anywhere with her takes a ridiculous amount of time and even menial errands she asks you to do require 100% of your attention.

They have somehow taken Eve Online, removed all the automated parts to make it more hands on, and somehow made it more boring and frustrating.

Rakshasa The Cat
December 30 2014, 05:39:03 AM

It said something about close to the end f its life.. There were 2 planets closer to it than the warp in and I nearly had to cook myself to get a scan on the closest one.

That's the outer atmosphere of a red giant, basically what our sun is going to look like in a few billion years.

morpheps
December 30 2014, 06:38:01 AM
Well, I like (usually) having a docking puter, because it means that I can still dock even if my baby daughter wakes up during docking and raises bloody hell. Also, it's for lazy mode. Last night however, it got stuck in the opening, and was kersplashed because loitering...

Approaching Walrus
December 30 2014, 06:44:39 AM

Like anything on youtube it flashes its tits at you in a 3 minute video and you're married. Then five minutes into the relationship that the bitch you've married is actually really fucking boring, takes forever to get anywhere, getting anywhere with her takes a ridiculous amount of time and even menial errands she asks you to do require 100% of your attention.

They have somehow taken Eve Online, removed all the automated parts to make it more hands on, and somehow made it more boring and frustrating.

This game is less boring and frustrating for me compared to EVE because it is twitch. I quit eve after playing for years because I got tired of how it played (double click to move, f1-f8, being able to shoot through solid objects/other ships).

Lana Torrin
December 30 2014, 07:45:36 AM
I'm finding all the fun things today. I just found a neutron star. I would provide a screenshot but there is nothing to see.. Its a tiny tiny white dot

morpheps
December 30 2014, 07:49:01 AM
I'm finding all the fun things today. I just found a neutron star. I would provide a screenshot but there is nothing to see.. Its a tiny tiny white dot

Please approach it and investigate ;)

Lana Torrin
December 30 2014, 08:01:54 AM

Please approach it and investigate ;)

Yeah it dropped me out of warp 0.22Ls away.. I was like where is the star.. And there was this tiny tiny white dot..

Given if you get too close to a black hole all it does it drop you out of warp, im guessing this will do the same..

Torashuu
December 30 2014, 08:55:56 AM

Like anything on youtube it flashes its tits at you in a 3 minute video and you're married. Then five minutes into the relationship that thae bitch you've married is actually really fucking boring, takes forever to get anywhere, getting anywhere with her takes a ridiculous amount of time and even menial errands she asks you to do require 100% of your attention.

This game is less boring and frustrating for me compared to EVE because it is twitch. I quit eve after playing for years because I got tired of how it played (double click to move, f1-f8, being able to shoot through solid objects/other ships).

Kinda hilarious that you say that izo because compared doing jumps for hours to maybe find a fight there is plenty more action to find compared to eve. You can always attack players as well and they have a system that encourages pvp bounty hunting. What more do you want? To me its the other way arround, they took eve and removed all the boring parts.

Ben Derindar
December 30 2014, 10:09:19 AM

Best I've found so far is 900/t taking superconductors from an extraction/refinery to an industrial and 200/t doing mineral extractors the other way. Nice short jumps but with nothing more than a cobra it wasn't really making me much bank at the end of the day.

These days I'm picking a destination and exploring my way to it, but am prepared to stop on the way if I happen to find a pristine metallic belt (4-5 so far) or a decent trading route (none yet).

Thoemse
December 30 2014, 10:44:05 AM
So I umm... found this..

http://onebit.us/x/i/y1rJzUOJZe.png

http://onebit.us/x/i/WCpAEBCcTd.png

Looks like a some dead star. Ran into a couple of these allready.