PDA

View Full Version : Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarter remake)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13

Saul
December 16 2014, 06:50:37 PM
Easy supercruise: full throttle all the way in. When ETA hits 7/8 seconds, drop to 75% throttle. Allow ETA to drop to 6 seconds but no lower. Do not adjust throttle for planetary gravity wells close to your destination as ETA will drop back to 6 seconds once you're past it.

Ben Derindar
December 16 2014, 07:03:43 PM
so i cant dock at the station with my eagle, docking request denied. Whats the point.

Sometimes I get denied from outposts because I'm too far away. Try approaching to within 7500m and request again?

Darkening
December 16 2014, 07:07:38 PM
so i cant dock at the station with my eagle, docking request denied. Whats the point.

Sometimes I get denied from outposts because I'm too far away. Try approaching to within 7500m and request again?

Could also have alot of afkers in the station sitting on the pads not dropping down in to the hangers?

Kraken
December 16 2014, 07:08:09 PM
ok im in my eagle now, got some new missions to do, got a fine for trying to dock in the wrong highlighted thingy

Kraken
December 16 2014, 07:35:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HU9g1xi.jpg

my curent mission, cant figure out where to find it. im in system but i keep overshooting the contacts then they disappear anyway

Saul
December 16 2014, 09:46:20 PM
Look for unidentified signal sources on approach to planets/stations. Target them as you would a planet and follow the six second trick above so you don't overshoot.

Edit: you may have to visit several

Kraken
December 16 2014, 09:49:57 PM
so i shot a hauler, i got a bounty and now im wanted. the hauler didnt drop anything. i take it im doing it wrong?

Nicholai Pestot
December 16 2014, 09:59:11 PM
so i shot a hauler, i got a bounty and now im wanted. the hauler didnt drop anything. i take it im doing it wrong?

Target its cargo bay doors once you have the shields down.

Kraken
December 16 2014, 10:02:23 PM
Oh.

Saul
December 16 2014, 10:04:43 PM

Killing targets destroys the cargo. Target the cargo bay subsystem and destroy it. Subsystems are a tab in the left hand menu, and/or you can bind them to hotkeys.

dominus
December 16 2014, 10:41:06 PM
How can i see my ship exterior, while in station? Is it possible?

Am i coffined to cockpit view at all times? Why sellable custom skins than?

morpheps
December 16 2014, 10:56:00 PM
Outfitting is the closest you will get currently. There is talk of external view with limited function, but no eta. Cockpit yes, and of course to look good for others..

Kraken
December 16 2014, 11:09:51 PM
so if i target a subsystem then pew pew the ship it focuses on that subsystem, i dont have to try to shoot something specific otherwise just have it highligted?

Lana Torrin
December 16 2014, 11:28:53 PM
All the noobs should come visit Pirate Queen Lana in cosi. It's just a name honest. :-)

Tapaderpin

Meths
December 16 2014, 11:32:32 PM
All the noobs should come visit Pirate Queen Lana in cosi. It's just a name honest. :-)

Tapaderpin

Its a Tarp!!!

Lana Torrin
December 17 2014, 12:27:12 AM
So I have a neat trick that I need help with.

Those recovery missions. Easiest way to get the goods back is to take them from a minor station (the ones you dock on the outside of) as they tend to have no police. However, I have no tips on easy ways to find the goods.

I had one in an empty system. I flew around for literally an hour. Never saw a single signal. Does anyone know a way of getting them quicker?

Tapaderpin

Steckersaurus
December 17 2014, 02:38:16 AM
So, gpu really doesn't like this game. Computer reboots after about 3-5 minutes in game. Dammit.

DaBigCheez
December 17 2014, 04:56:41 AM
Started downloading this morning, about 14 hours ago. And it's nearly a third of the way done! Hahahahahaha */wrists*

Specifically, it's on "sync files", at 0 MB/s the vast majority of the time. For a while, it would spike up to a few MB/s for a few seconds at a time about once per five minutes to download a file, but I don't think I've seen it move in about the last three-to-six hours. Not sure if known issue with known work-around, or just :lol launchday server congestion: ? If there is a known way to get around it, said knowledge would be appreciated :)

Kraken
December 17 2014, 05:26:46 AM
know it doesnt help but when i did it about 15hours ago i was getting steam download speeds, 7MB/s+. maybe ports and firewall? or bad server connection for the file where you are?

DaBigCheez
December 17 2014, 05:55:40 AM
Tried telling Windows Firewall/Antivirus to fuck off, no apparent effect. Trying to hunt down the IP of the download server so I can do a traceroute and see if something is fucky with the tubes along the way, but no dice thus far.

Minion
December 17 2014, 06:02:16 AM
Started downloading this morning, about 14 hours ago. And it's nearly a third of the way done! Hahahahahaha */wrists*

Specifically, it's on "sync files", at 0 MB/s the vast majority of the time. For a while, it would spike up to a few MB/s for a few seconds at a time about once per five minutes to download a file, but I don't think I've seen it move in about the last three-to-six hours. Not sure if known issue with known work-around, or just :lol launchday server congestion: ? If there is a known way to get around it, said knowledge would be appreciated :)

That's why I wrote this downloader script (https://bitbucket.org/bemoliph/elite-dangerous-downloader/overview) that actually downloads, unlike the official launcher. Enjoy.

DaBigCheez
December 17 2014, 07:15:32 AM

That's why I wrote this downloader script (https://bitbucket.org/bemoliph/elite-dangerous-downloader/overview) that actually downloads, unlike the official launcher. Enjoy.

Does what it says on the tin. Exactly what I was looking for. Mad props.

Note: It looks like the directory for the install is now FORC-FDEV-D-1003 rather than -1002. Was easy enough to modify myself, but seemed to mess with the auto-detection.

Minion
December 17 2014, 07:20:50 AM

Does what it says on the tin. Exactly what I was looking for. Mad props.

Note: It looks like the directory for the install is now FORC-FDEV-D-1003 rather than -1002. Was easy enough to modify myself, but seemed to mess with the auto-detection.

Someone else is saying he also has a different folder, except his is -1010. I can't reproduce anything other than a -1002 even with a complete reinstall, but as long as you got it working before I figure out what's the deal, that's good enough for now.

Leboe
December 17 2014, 08:20:33 AM
Up until now I'd only done the training thing, and always with the rift.

Started the full version tonight, hooooly shit. Even the galaxy map is cool. Really got to wrap my head around things like navigating though, I think a lot of that is not meant to be taught through VR. Maybe I should spend a day getting used to the game in 2d first.

Maybe theres a UI scaling setting that will make menus on the rift work better, but 85% of the time I have to lean towards a menu selection to make the text large enough to read. This problem is kinda at its extreme in the maps where its all made up system/place names that my brain doesn't even kinda-understand. Like if its a normal word with letters out of order, your brain will understand it, but if its random letters in an unknown order - I really have to focus on the words any make sure the letters are what I think they are.

The cool side effect of this is that I physically have to lean into all the menus. Its annoying but immersive.

Runs buttery smooth on my 970 <3333

morpheps
December 17 2014, 09:01:39 AM
Having the same issues with menus in Rift, but it's not a big thing. I'd like an option where it's possbiel to run both the Rift and a screen , so I can take off the Rift when in stations and doing market stuff (it's doable without, but easy to misread numbers). Not sure how feasible it is in terms of both resource drain (running it on a 780) and if E:D is able to output a normal looking view on the monitor and not just a mirror of the double image shown on the Rift.

In other news, market stuff has plummted. Most of my trade routes from Gamma have had their profits cut in half, if not worse. Kinda regret not farming the ass out of rare items and/or my 1.5k/ton route before launch, but worksies interfered. From what I've read on the /traders subreddit, a lot of people are parking their ships in stations with rare items in the morning, and then log on via teamview from work to buy items as they are replenished (items are replenished every 10-15 minutes). Presto, return home from work, do a 160 Ly trip with a full cargo hold - and profit. Might do that until I have enough money to buy an Asp and fit it for exploration, then go sightseeing.

Edit: Also; can we pretty pretty please have a subforum for this game?

Lana Torrin
December 17 2014, 09:47:12 AM
We only get a subforum when it's officially dead.

Tapaderpin

Bartholomeus Crane
December 17 2014, 11:37:20 AM

Tapaderpin

Or when it's a zombie, taking its time shuffle of the cliff, apparently.

This thread has more traffic (with actual new things in it) than EVE's entire subforum.

Maybe it's time for this forum to move on? Elite's got heaps of challenging fail in it, right?

Lana Torrin
December 17 2014, 02:06:44 PM
Found me a nice little rare run.. Buy rares, run about 120LY (with a refuel stop in the middle), sell rares and buy the local rares to ship back to the start.. I'm only getting 200K a trip but I can only fir 20t of cargo so this is probably the best money I can make in the hour it takes me.. Now all I have to do is run it another 6 times and I'll have enough for the Type-6 and upgrades I want.

Type-7 looks nice.

RazoR
December 17 2014, 02:12:37 PM

Tapaderpin

So star citizen was stillborn? RIP.

Herstal
December 17 2014, 02:55:36 PM
Up until now I'd only done the training thing, and always with the rift.

Started the full version tonight, hooooly shit. Even the galaxy map is cool. Really got to wrap my head around things like navigating though, I think a lot of that is not meant to be taught through VR. Maybe I should spend a day getting used to the game in 2d first.

Maybe theres a UI scaling setting that will make menus on the rift work better, but 85% of the time I have to lean towards a menu selection to make the text large enough to read. This problem is kinda at its extreme in the maps where its all made up system/place names that my brain doesn't even kinda-understand. Like if its a normal word with letters out of order, your brain will understand it, but if its random letters in an unknown order - I really have to focus on the words any make sure the letters are what I think they are.

The cool side effect of this is that I physically have to lean into all the menus. Its annoying but immersive.

Runs buttery smooth on my 970 <3333
Not sure if this has been mentioned already in this thread, but try running Elite with DSR (supersampling) enabled. I run it at 2560x1440 and the text is much more readable on my DK2.

morpheps
December 17 2014, 03:01:48 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned already in this thread, but try running Elite with DSR (supersampling) enabled. I run it at 2560x1440 and the text is much more readable on my DK2.

What hardware are you running that on? I tried supersampling on my 780 (vanilla, not TI), and it's not playable on the DK2.

FatFreddy
December 17 2014, 03:03:30 PM
my knowledge of game design is non-existant, but having to enable supersampling for better readable fonts sounds like shit design to me

helgur
December 17 2014, 03:07:12 PM
Mining

Mining erryday

Torashuu
December 17 2014, 03:09:56 PM
my knowledge of game design is non-existant, but having to enable supersampling for better readable fonts sounds like shit design to me
How so? DK2 is not exactly a widely adopted consumer video option.

Herstal
December 17 2014, 03:15:14 PM

What hardware are you running that on? I tried supersampling on my 780 (vanilla, not TI), and it's not playable on the DK2.

I meant Nvidia's hardware supersampling, DSR (enabled in the driver options), not ingame supersampling (if it's even there, don't remember tbh). I run it on a 4770K and a Titan, both watercooled and heavily oc'd though. It easily maintains constant 75fps, except in busiest stations.
EDIT: And so should a 780 I suppose, stupid question, but did you disable AA when running with DSR?

It's DK2's low resolution at fault, can't blame Elite devs for that...

morpheps
December 17 2014, 03:19:58 PM
That is what I did. Custom resolution in Nvidia, then chose that resolution ingame. Lags like hell.

Herstal
December 17 2014, 03:23:32 PM
By lag do you mean real lag or low framerate? If it's the former, make sure the display is at 75Hz for the low persistence mode. It took me a while to get it working properly, it would default to 60 and ignore changes.

EDIT: And maybe try enabling DSR @ 1,27 instead of creating a custom resolution - i guess it's works the same, but i'm not 100% sure.

morpheps
December 17 2014, 03:28:32 PM
75Hz and I dunno, it looks like your head doesn't turn properly in sync. Choppy and not smooth like when in 1080p. I guess low frame rate rather than lag.

FatFreddy
December 17 2014, 03:58:02 PM
How so? DK2 is not exactly a widely adopted consumer video option.

k, so I simply can't read and didn't realise this was a dk2 issue, not a general one

gj to myself!

Sandzibar
December 17 2014, 04:42:19 PM
Found me a nice little rare run.. Buy rares, run about 120LY (with a refuel stop in the middle), sell rares and buy the local rares to ship back to the start.. I'm only getting 200K a trip but I can only fir 20t of cargo so this is probably the best money I can make in the hour it takes me.. Now all I have to do is run it another 6 times and I'll have enough for the Type-6 and upgrades I want.

Type-7 looks nice.

Whats the wait time like on rare resupply? I thought they changed it so that each rare was only available in small amounts per person.

Just upgraded to a Hauler, space trucking is go.

Trade routes system on the gal map is a dirty liar it seems, or it just shows all transactions even if the person was selling at a loss :/

Mining working out for you Helgur?

Straight Hustlin
December 17 2014, 05:01:55 PM
I have nfi what I am doing, but this is good fun.

Darkening
December 17 2014, 05:40:56 PM
Moving cargo last night made me 14k this afternoon 546c :/

Upgraded my eagle's cargo/powerplant/jumpdrive and slapped in a fuel scoop.

Just about manage a 9.0LY pop at the mo.

Herstal
December 17 2014, 05:43:59 PM
Just trade rare goods, there's really no alternative early on. A friend started playing last night, his first trip bought him a Hauler, second - an Adder.

Levark
December 17 2014, 08:52:29 PM
What are my options if i am stuck on a system without stations and no fuel to jump? i am so bad at this game.

Ted Breakers
December 17 2014, 08:57:04 PM
Any good starter guide recomendations? Just finishing tutorials and dling client.

Thats some wicked learning curve on the flying. Went from "Nah thats impossible this is shit" to "how do i shoot target" to "haha die fuckers" in about 20min. Dropping the dpi on the mouse helped :)

Also any consensus on controlls for mouse n kb? You using default? Alot of pages to catch up on here saw soem discussion further back...

Saul
December 17 2014, 09:04:39 PM
What are my options if i am stuck on a system without stations and no fuel to jump? i am so bad at this game.

Self destruct. Right hand menus, systems tab or something.

Ted Breakers
December 17 2014, 09:08:12 PM

U in here Saul? I miss BAD ops (not that im really playing ps anymore lol)!

Straight Hustlin
December 17 2014, 09:10:59 PM
Any good starter guide recomendations? Just finishing tutorials and dling client.

Thats some wicked learning curve on the flying. Went from "Nah thats impossible this is shit" to "how do i shoot target" to "haha die fuckers" in about 20min. Dropping the dpi on the mouse helped :)

I did the landing tutorial....

Afterwards I found out that rotational correction is a thing that is on by default, and that the kind lady was actually telling me that I had in fact disabled it; not that it was just totally disabled for the purposes of doing the landing tutorial. (had figured it would sync me to the rotation of the docking port, but it only does its thing within the port.

Ted Breakers
December 17 2014, 09:17:50 PM
Also mouse n kb seems very compromised are people going for gamepads or joysticks? Think i may even have an xbox controller somewhere...

Yaw into roll sounds like it could help for the mouse?

Saul
December 17 2014, 09:19:08 PM

U in here Saul? I miss BAD ops (not that im really playing ps anymore lol)!

Yeah I'm here, or I was until my kitten fell asleep at the back of my tower (nice and warm!) and blew out my PSU. I'd left elite running (docked), went off and did other things and ended up dozing off for 3 hours or so. She blocked the intake and it overheated. Now it's dead as a doornail. Sigh.

Edit: Xbox pad is perfectly serviceable but very sensitive, unless you use xpadder or something. Roll into yaw is an abomination to me but YMMV

Kraken
December 17 2014, 09:31:41 PM
subforum plz!

Im hunting pirates in my Eagle, got a bunch of upgrades on it so it says it can go 10.8 LY now or something, fuel scoop, warrent scanner, better scanner etc etc. using 1 gimbled burst and 2 multi cannons. the gimbled burst is fucking awesome. thinking bout 3 gimbled bursts and trollolololing specific subsystems... like cargo doors :)

another edit: these are my eagles stats, and it turns out i did ditch the multi cannons for 3 gimbled burst lasers.
http://i.imgur.com/4sukBWo.jpg

Ted Breakers
December 17 2014, 09:35:05 PM
Is there an FHC group or we?

morpheps
December 17 2014, 09:40:13 PM
On the rare trade runs. Doing ny longest in system run, in excess of 550.000 Ls.. dis had better be worth it..

Saul
December 17 2014, 09:44:02 PM
No real group mechanic in the game yet. Nicholai started a private group a while back which still shows in my list, but it's a pve only mode AFAIK.

Entrox is awol I think? Spam him for sub forum requests as per earlier mod instruction.

Saul
December 17 2014, 09:45:55 PM
On the rare trade runs. Doing ny longest in system run, in excess of 550.000 Ls.. dis had better be worth it..

Or jump a system or two more to find a closer station? That's a good 20 mins or so :psyduck:

morpheps
December 17 2014, 09:53:20 PM

Or jump a system or two more to find a closer station? That's a good 20 mins or so :psyduck:

It has rares in both stations, but yeah. FML, ran out of fuel 13K Ls before station.........

Saul
December 17 2014, 10:05:49 PM
13K Ls

Ahahahaha brilliant. The rage hnnnggh

morpheps
December 17 2014, 10:10:01 PM
Note to self. For long distance hauling. Bring fuel scoop..

Ted Breakers
December 17 2014, 10:26:38 PM
Do i start in solo play and jew it out a bit or wat? Is that like the pve mode?

Ted Breakers
December 17 2014, 10:28:19 PM
Really looking for a good begginers guide, loads out there but most are for various old beta versions... I guess NPE has changed? Or just pointers so im not wasting hours on youtube or silly sidequests for no reward. Again loads out there but many conflicting and more out of date :P

Straight Hustlin
December 17 2014, 10:28:42 PM

I just hopped right into what ever the usual online mode.

Minion
December 17 2014, 10:32:31 PM

I just hopped right into what ever the usual online mode.

Solo Play is like not being human in Dark Souls; you're "online", but you'll never connect to other players (ignoring the DkS co-op). The "real" online mode can connect you to other players, for better or worse. Your character data is the same between both, so you can switch as you feel.

EDIT: I should play again at some point, RIP this poor CH HOTAS doing nothing.

Bamse
December 17 2014, 10:37:20 PM
Just docked in Lave and cashed in on 1.5mil worth of Tea.. Bought Class 4 A FSD for my Type 6, so she jumps just shy of 20LY with 100t of goods.. Thinking of selling both my Type 6 and pimped Viper in order to buy an ASP and go exploring some of the galaxy 8-)

Straight Hustlin
December 17 2014, 11:02:59 PM
Gonna have to hop on TS tonight and learn the way of the space trucker; all I managed to do last night was two shit missions for like 1000 credits, than shot a swiss merc who called the police, escaped with 5% health and promptly spent that new 1k, + the entirety of the 1k starter cash they gave me on repairs & refuel.

Since I've got the freeagle should I sell my sidewinder & use the isk to buy two tons of shit to sell else where? Or should is save it for when I inevitably fuck up?

morpheps
December 17 2014, 11:21:20 PM
To get cash, do whatever it takes to get a Hauler (missions, mining in the Freeagle whatever) - then do some trade runs with rare items (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63119). You'll soon be filthy rich..

Saul
December 17 2014, 11:38:05 PM
To get cash, do whatever it takes to get a Hauler (missions, mining in the Freeagle whatever) - then do some trade runs with rare items (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63119). You'll soon be filthy rich..

This is good advice. Selling the freagle is almost enough for a hauler on its own I think. Then you've got enough cargo space (especially with cargo upgrades) to take on higher cargo missions, do effective mining or trade. Market is borked according to ED forums so rare commodities might be a good bet if you can't find a decent 750+ profit per ton trade run with the normal commodities. Failing that, find a pristine or major reserve metallic ring and mine the shit out of it.

I miss my cobra and type six. Roll on Friday for new PSU.

morpheps
December 17 2014, 11:51:47 PM
I mined for enough cash to upgrade the hauler to a class a FSD, then started doing some rare item runs. The one I am doing now is only 80 or so LY, but has rares in both ends, and fairly short in system runs. Better route needs to be scouted for when upgraded space truck is here, but it does ok for now. Netting about 200k/hour, so not that long for a Type-6.

Bombcrater
December 18 2014, 01:35:01 AM
Rares are really good money when you've ground out enough for a something with a decent amount of cargo space, if you're prepared to wait around for stock. I have ED running on my laptop at work and just keep checking every so often for new supplies, so I have a full hold when I get home.

I'm making about 1.3m on a 126ly trip in my Asp. An upgraded FSD makes the journey a lot quicker, the class 5A one I'm using cost about 5m but will chuck an armed and fully loaded Asp 22ly.

Lana Torrin
December 18 2014, 03:12:20 AM
Rare resupply is something like 10-15 mins. It also stacks so if no one else picks it up while you are on your run you don't have to hang around.

Like I said I only have 20t of freight so I don't have to wait long to fill up.

Also 500ly is nothing.. I have one station over 1m ly from the land in point. It takes like 20 mins to fly to it.

Tapaderpin

morpheps
December 18 2014, 07:01:39 AM
Rare resupply is something like 10-15 mins. It also stacks so if no one else picks it up while you are on your run you don't have to hang around.

Also 500ly is nothing.. I have one station over 1m ly from the land in point. It takes like 20 mins to fly to it.

Tapaderpin

You are confusing Light years and seconds, but yes, if that station is 1 000 000 Ls from the jump in point, it's just over twice as long as the drive I almost made. I spent a good 15 minutes for that trip (was pushing 1000 C). Just to put it in context; 500 000 Ls is something like 100.000 times the distance between the Earth and the Sun. Pluto is about just shy of 20.000 Ls from the Sun (or ca. 39.44 Au if you prefer Eve). So 27,5 times the distance of Sun - Pluto - or in excess of 1000 Au.. Twice that for the system you're in. Makes the Eve systems small :)

Lana Torrin
December 18 2014, 07:54:07 AM

Tapaderpin

You are confusing Light years and seconds, but yes, if that station is 1 000 000 Ls from the jump in point, it's just over twice as long as the drive I almost made. I spent a good 15 minutes for that trip (was pushing 1000 C). Just to put it in context; 500 000 Ls is something like 100.000 times the distance between the Earth and the Sun. Pluto is about just shy of 20.000 Ls from the Sun (or ca. 39.44 Au if you prefer Eve). So 27,5 times the distance of Sun - Pluto - or in excess of 1000 Au.. Twice that for the system you're in. Makes the Eve systems small :)

Yeah I worked it out and its something like 11.5 light days, which is a massive distance considering the earth is what 8 light minutes from the sun... It was a trinary system though and the stupid station was orbiting a long way out around a planet a long way out from the last star.. I got it lined up, accelerated to full and then went and made my bed and did some washing.

Herstal
December 18 2014, 09:05:08 AM
Rare trading is op as fuck. A ~20-minute, ~140ly route between Xihe and Lave/Leesti/Zaonce in a fully laden Cobra nets ~800k profit each way. Loading up takes a while, but it's a lot of money for being alt-tabbed...

morpheps
December 18 2014, 09:17:49 AM
Rare trading is in dire need for a massive nerf / overhaul. Currently, apart from the time it takes to fill a large hold, there's simply no reason to trade anything else. Once you get in a larger hauler, I suppose margin trading short hauls is more feasible, but I'd reckon most people will still be semi-afk while filling a hold of stuff, then go dump it, and repeat. I'm getting 80k profits per trip now with 16 tons of space in my hauler (got a docking puter + fuel scoop) and that's only for a 90 LY trip. Consider the same in a Type-6 with 100 tons of space, and it's 500k per trip. Granted, it usually takes me 15-20 minutes to fill my Hauler, so a bit more to fill a Type-6, but still silly stuff. Until regular trading gets "fixed" (i.e. we start seeing actual high demand again), you're just better off with sticking to rare trade.

Herstal
December 18 2014, 09:25:46 AM
When running rares it's really worth jumping the extra 30-40 ly as the profits almost double. At optimum range (~150ly) it's ~15k/ton (profit), regardless of the starting price (as far as i can tell at least). There are multiple routes with two (or more) stations with rare supply 130-160 ly apart, pick one and run that. With an A drive it's around 10 jumps.

Distances and supplies:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haUVaFIxFq5IPqZugJ8cfCEqBrZvFFzcA-uXB4pTfW4/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true#

EDIT: But yeah, you're right, it needs to be changed and/or nerfed, otherwise i'll be in an Anaconda by the end of the week...

morpheps
December 18 2014, 09:27:15 AM
When running rares it's really worth jumping the extra 30-40 ly as the profits almost double. At optimum range (~150ly) it's ~15k/ton, regardless of the starting price (as far as i can tell at least). There are multiple routes with two (or more) stations with rare supply 130-160 ly apart, pick one and run that. With an A drive it's around 10 jumps.

Distances and supplies:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haUVaFIxFq5IPqZugJ8cfCEqBrZvFFzcA-uXB4pTfW4/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true#

EDIT: But yeah, you're right, it needs to be changed and/or nerfed, otherwise i'll be in an Anaconda by the end of the week...

That's a brilliant sheet, have some rep :)

Edit: Only "problem" is that with my fuel tank, I've got a range of about 90 LY without scooping, which means I cannot set longer routes. Need to find a half way system and set it for there, and then change. Any way to force the route all the way?

Herstal
December 18 2014, 09:33:13 AM
Sell the Hauler and get an Adder, it's only 30k more expensive, but can fit 8 fuel + 16 cargo + shield + fuel scoop, and it's a decent fighter as a bonus.

No way to force it above 100ly, at least i didn't find a way to do that. What i do is set a route to a midpoint (taken from here https://cmdr.club/routes/) and then another route to the final destination.

morpheps
December 18 2014, 09:41:34 AM
Good stuff; I'll try that once I finish this run :)

Edit: *cough cough* - Ok, so 250k profits on the 160 LY trip with 16 tons. Took marginally longer. Oh my gawds

Bombcrater
December 18 2014, 10:52:52 AM
It's already been nerfed hard from what it was; before the supply reduction it was possible to make millions per hour with a good ship. But the essential problem is rares need to be substantially more profitable than normal goods to justify asking people to fly 100ly or more. And if they are, everyone with a ship better than a Sidey will trade them.

Maybe they should increase the optimal route range from 150ly to 250 or 300 to make it much more of a hassle to extract full profit from a load.

morpheps
December 18 2014, 11:39:21 AM
It's still broken. With a decent upgrade to the FSD (granted, that costs 500k) on my Adder, I'm making 17-18 LY jumps with 20 tons. A typical 160 LY route I'm doing now (Aegaeon to Alacarakmo) is roughly 17 jumps. Figure a minute per leg, and with the new route planner, it's basically set destination for half point system, align, jump out, avoid driving into sun while alt-tabbed (doing some other stuff as well, so not using the rift), align while scooping some fuel, jump. It's too easy, and with the 20 ton hold, you can rather easily fill it in two refreshes, so usually you'll make just shy of 500k per hour. It's not what it used to, but it's still rather better than most other stuff you can do with that level of attention and energy. Going to farm this hard for some days, then invest in a fun ship and go exploring / pew pew-ing.

Torashuu
December 18 2014, 11:48:42 AM
With the abundance of kill missions for 150K+ which you finish in about 20 minutes you're getting close to 500k an hour as well. So nothing mindblowing there.

Herstal
December 18 2014, 12:15:34 PM
Thing is, this scales. As said before, in a Cobra i get nearly 800k each way, for ~10 jumps, which takes about 15 minutes or so (incl. scooping midway). I have to spend some idle time in a station, but I can be alt-tabbed and do whatever. It's essentially afk money.

morpheps
December 18 2014, 12:25:30 PM
With the abundance of kill missions for 150K+ which you finish in about 20 minutes you're getting close to 500k an hour as well. So nothing mindblowing there.

The difference is that they require a certain amount of activity. I've been making about a mill in a couple of hours today whilst being semi-afk (granted, my hauler has landed with 1% armor left a couple of times after some near sun experiences :P).

Now; Type-6 is go. Lack cash to upgrade FSD to full tit, but still doing 15 LYs with 48 cargo. Should be enough for some rare runs later on. This semi-afk business with filling hold will ruin christmas and likely my marriage though. This feels like AFK-mining in a hauler again. *gulp*

Torashuu
December 18 2014, 12:26:19 PM
Yes it scales I get that, but you're not really playing the game are you. Besides it has a ceiling as well in how much of the commodity spawns over time. And if it is so very much in demand purchase pricing should go up quite a bit.

The difference is that they require a certain amount of activity. I've been making about a mill in a couple of hours today whilst being semi-afk (granted, my hauler has landed with 1% armor left a couple of times after some near sun experiences :P).

Now; Type-6 is go. Lack cash to upgrade FSD to full tit, but still doing 15 LYs with 48 cargo. Should be enough for some rare runs later on. This semi-afk business with filling hold will ruin christmas and likely my marriage though. This feels like AFK-mining in a hauler again. *gulp*
Exactly, wtf would you want to do that? I don't make the most Cr/hour but I'm having fun with the game. Getting space rich won't get you anything in itself so there is no rush to get there.

Kraken
December 18 2014, 12:28:22 PM
So just to understand this trading stuff. I buy rares at someplace. I look at the chart and then sell rares at a place which accepts them? every so often a few more units spawn and i keep heading back and forth? And this auto jump business, each jump ill need set the ship to hyperspace jump to the next point on the map right?

Lana Torrin
December 18 2014, 12:30:41 PM
So just to understand this trading stuff. I buy rares at someplace. I look at the chart and then sell rares at a place which accepts them? every so often a few more units spawn and i keep heading back and forth? And this auto jump business, each jump ill need set the ship to hyperspace jump to the next point on the map right?

Rares can pretty much be sold anywhere. What you want to do is fine 2 system that both sell rares about 100Ly apart and then take rares in both directions. You'll make a mint really quickly.

Herstal
December 18 2014, 12:34:23 PM
Make it 150 Ly apart for maximum profit, but yeah. Also, rares respawn 10 minutes after you buy them, so you can fill up the hold while being semi-afk (or fully afk, with a simple keyboard macro...).

morpheps
December 18 2014, 12:38:37 PM
Yes it scales I get that, but you're not really playing the game are you. Besides it has a ceiling as well in how much of the commodity spawns over time. And if it is so very much in demand purchase pricing should go up quite a bit.

I'm not playing the game or enjoying it all that much apart from the "woohoo, monjehs". This is grinding for a better ship in a better way. And I'm saying that it needs to be nerfed, not championing it as the way to play. And no, prices aren't going very much up. For the cheaper Rare Commodities, you're looking at a 15k/ton profit, which is about 15x better than the normal "good route" 1k/ton definition.

Exactly, wtf would you want to do that? I don't make the most Cr/hour but I'm having fun with the game. Getting space rich won't get you anything in itself so there is no rush to get there.

It gets me that Asp + fittings so I can do what I want to do a bit quicker.

Most places will accept most rare commodities, unlike normal commodities. There are exceptions, for example, Onion Head is now considered illegal in The Federation. New items spawn about every 10 minutes, and you go back and forth between systems that spawn rares, preferrably about 160 LY apart for max profit (see the example in my post above, or the chart linked by Herstal). Use the Jump route planner, then find a system about mid-ways since you cannot send destination for a system more than 100 LY away (or so it seems), and then just jump. It will automatically select your next leg, but you need to jump yourself. When you reach the mid point, select your final destionation, and off you go. Rince and repeat until fed up or it has been nerfed.

Darkening
December 18 2014, 12:43:41 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's the full change log for 1.02. Just a few quick changes to make your play experience even smoother! Enjoy! - the servers should be down for around 10-15 minutes from ~12.30GMT 18/12/14

- Allow text chat to function for any voice comms member, not just for friends
- Fix for a rare crash when scanning unexplored systems
- Fix for a rare crash during networked combat
- Fix for a very rare crash in or near starports and outposts
- Fix for a very rare crash after migrating servers on network island changes
- Corrections to some mission descriptions
- Corrections to some galaxy data in rarely visited systems
- Extend a time-out that occasionally triggers a disconnect during hyperspace
- Extend some previously added diagnostics to further refine the data gathered

And there are some server-side changes, too:

- After yet another discussion with the rare commodity producers, Commanders should now be eligible to only purchase rare goods up to their own personal allocation, instead of buying everybody else's ration as well.
- Universal Cartographics has issued a new purchasing policy, so Commanders exploring supermassive stellar bodies should no longer receive supermassive payouts.
- Tune matchmaking to significantly improve the chances of meeting other Commanders in space
- Improvements to Exploration server performance

All your feedback is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Ed

Snottus
December 18 2014, 12:45:17 PM
So haven't played this game for a long time, and then only did a couple tutorials.

Am I correct in the following:

You are an unidentified entity stuck in ship(s) flying from A to B and back again, either trading, mining or shooting?
There is no story, no role-playing, no base/empire building?
Basically nothing else to do than fly the ship around doing the same tasks over and over?

Lana Torrin
December 18 2014, 12:46:00 PM
So...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76535

Grind for cash is go.

Lana Torrin
December 18 2014, 12:58:56 PM
- After yet another discussion with the rare commodity producers, Commanders should now be eligible to only purchase rare goods up to their own personal allocation, instead of buying everybody else's ration as well.

Yeah.. This isnt going to work and then they are just going to get nerfed massively..

Mona
December 18 2014, 01:06:58 PM
http://www.pcgamer.com/use-your-phone-tablet-or-voice-to-control-elite-dangerous/

Herstal
December 18 2014, 01:16:53 PM
http://www.pcgamer.com/use-your-phone-tablet-or-voice-to-control-elite-dangerous/
Does anyone know if it is possible to run Voice Attack on a non-en_us W8.1 build? I don't know how to get Windows voice recognition running in english, it used to work with W7.

morpheps
December 18 2014, 01:45:43 PM

Yeah.. This isnt going to work and then they are just going to get nerfed massively..

It's either been massively nerfed now, or bugged. Currently sitting with 10 Alacarakmo skin art in my hold, and that's what I am getting. Station isn't refreshing it. According to the patch notes threads, others are experiencing the same. Good change IMHO. You can now trade it in a small quick ship, and still make a good profit (150k for a 10 ton trip over 160 LY), but it doesn't scale (unless you make a A => B => C => D => E route and drop stuff off at point E, being somewhere 160 LY from each other point. Will still be a nerf, and one quite well done I think.

Torashuu
December 18 2014, 01:52:49 PM

I guess its a difference in mentality. I know I could grind out that Anaconda with pimp fittings fastest trading rares. But what is the appeal of that anaconda without having tried to fight in a sidewinder/eagle/viper/python with different levels of fitting. To drag out the old trope, its the journey not the destination. I mean I'm only at 3.5 mill cr and already have 1 mill in the bank I do not know what to spend on because there simply isn't anything left to cram onto my Viper to improve it. And the pimped Viper is fun to fly because I tried to do the same stuff in a scrappy sidewinder.

morpheps
December 18 2014, 01:57:36 PM

I guess its a difference in mentality. I know I could grind out that Anaconda with pimp fittings fastest trading rares. But what is the appeal of that anaconda without having tried to fight in a sidewinder/eagle/viper/python with different levels of fitting. To drag out the old trope, its the journey not the destination. I mean I'm only at 3.5 mill cr and already have 1 mill in the bank I do not know what to spend on because there simply isn't anything left to cram onto my Viper to improve it. And the pimped Viper is fun to fly because I tried to do the same stuff in a scrappy sidewinder.

I see your point. I don't really agree, but that's not mandatory. I want to do exploration, and while I can do that in my Freeagle, it's bound to be easier and more fun with a better ship. Your point about the journey, not the destination certainly holds some merit, my problem is that a long tedious grind over a long period doesn't exactly look that tempting to me. I get maybe 3-4 hours of play in a normal week, so I'd much rather spend those exploring and being on that kind of journey, instead of griding towards the destination and burning out on the way there :)

In either case, it's been nerfed now, so it's a moot point.

Edit: oh - and hurf blurf ragetears in this thread (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79175)

helgur
December 18 2014, 02:08:07 PM
So...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76535

Grind for cash is go.

It's reverse pay to win

win to get payed

Bombcrater
December 18 2014, 02:17:53 PM
Good change IMHO. You can now trade it in a small quick ship, and still make a good profit (150k for a 10 ton trip over 160 LY), but it doesn't scale (unless you make a A => B => C => D => E route and drop stuff off at point E, being somewhere 160 LY from each other point. Will still be a nerf, and one quite well done I think.
You will probably feel differently when you finally get a big ship and see the fuel, repair and insurance costs. Without rares there's nothing in the game that offers anything like enough credits per hour to make actually flying and risking a large ship worthwhile.

I see no real point in upgrading beyond the Asp now. The insurance cost is already over 1m credits, I guess a upgraded Anaconda would be 20m+.

Darkening
December 18 2014, 03:14:40 PM
Was doing a kill mission..drop out of FTL and just finished the basic scan when wham it oneshots me. :(
Didn't even have time to bring my guns online or power up the engine.

helgur
December 18 2014, 03:52:01 PM
Was doing a kill mission..drop out of FTL and just finished the basic scan when wham it oneshots me. :(

What where you flying? A soda can perhaps?

Darkening
December 18 2014, 05:10:15 PM

What where you flying? A soda can perhaps?

free eagle that i upgraded.

Sandzibar
December 18 2014, 05:21:19 PM
You will probably feel differently when you finally get a big ship and see the fuel, repair and insurance costs. Without rares there's nothing in the game that offers anything like enough credits per hour to make actually flying and risking a large ship worthwhile.

I see no real point in upgrading beyond the Asp now. The insurance cost is already over 1m credits, I guess a upgraded Anaconda would be 20m+.

Very true. Its why I will probably stick with an A-spec Cobra for the moment.

Will want a Fer-de-lance or Imperial Courier once they get added though. Money be damned!

Darkening
December 18 2014, 06:06:36 PM
Has anyone else had issues docking had two 40mins waits so far to land in a station for a cargo mission.

Had a go at doing rare trading but was killed both times, one by an npc and the other a player.

So far today has been a total cunt.

Sandzibar
December 18 2014, 06:14:31 PM
Has anyone else had issues docking had two 40mins waits so far to land in a station for a cargo mission.

Had a go at doing rare trading but was killed both times, one by an npc and the other a player.

So far today has been a total cunt.

If I get stuck at a station thats too busy I tend to cheat and log into solo mode to land.

Meths
December 18 2014, 08:33:11 PM
Bombcrater why you say WOT progression is balanced :D

dominus
December 18 2014, 08:52:51 PM
Noob question:

Are "rare" items marked as "rare" items category in trade window? Is there anything marking them as rare (in game), or its just buried in some normal subcategory?

Might do a return trip of rares when i finally get time to play..

Saul
December 18 2014, 09:21:53 PM
Rares have different color text in the commodity market, bright yellow iirc. They got nerfed hard in the last patch though it seems.

dominus
December 18 2014, 09:25:24 PM
So, one day late for exploit..

GG me..

Still, i like quick reaction to balancing game, props to Dev team..

Sandzibar
December 18 2014, 09:40:45 PM
1k profit per ton - all in system - trade run anyone?

Ho Hsi system. Move gold from Steiner to Alexeyev (436 profit per ton). Fly Silver back again (578 profit per ton). Repeat. Good for starting out I guess if rares are fucked now.

morpheps
December 18 2014, 09:53:22 PM
I'm was working on something I'd figured that I would want to test the feasibility of. Basically, if each system now has a cap of 10 (?) rare items, and you have, let's say, 48 cargo space, you will need 5 stations to fill it. So, I've modified the excel with all stations with rare items and ranges to other sytems, so I can pick my starting station, and it gives me the closest 5 systems in sequence (i.e if I am in Eleu, the closest system selling rare items is in Helvetitj (64 LY). Then you need a system that is 160 LY from all those (I guess) - and you can then go there. Between setting up the Excel and writing this though; I've come to the conclusion that neeeh, this isn't working :)

Sandzibar
December 18 2014, 10:20:04 PM
So what's this slave trading event about? anyone had success making cash out of it?

dominus
December 18 2014, 11:33:31 PM
1k profit per ton - all in system - trade run anyone?

Ho Hsi system. Move gold from Steiner to Alexeyev (436 profit per ton). Fly Silver back again (578 profit per ton). Repeat. Good for starting out I guess if rares are fucked now.

Thank you good sir - just moved there, and did a recommended trade..

Much obliged

+1

Lana Torrin
December 19 2014, 01:29:09 AM
I noticed that more rares are now illegal..

Lief Siddhe
December 19 2014, 02:10:20 AM
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14384-Congratulations-Elite-Dangerous

Lana Torrin
December 19 2014, 02:13:06 AM
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14384-Congratulations-Elite-Dangerous

Star Citizen is taking a different path from Elite, and I strongly believe each game will have a distinct feel

Signed.. They are literally nothing alike. ED is simply massive and has that feel of being lost in the openness of space.. SC will not have that feeling and instead will seem more like a busy city. Smaller but much more densely populated.

Levark
December 19 2014, 08:45:39 AM
Anybody here uses Voice attack? if so, is it responsive enough? This should be integrated to the game itself, what any true commander should have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dnJ--pSjdE#t=1

Ben Derindar
December 19 2014, 09:44:11 AM
At some point mining seems to have gotten a bit of a nerf, my major metallic belt used to have at least one good rock of palladium with traces of other metals but now it's just traces of everything. Am currently exploring my way towards a pristine metallic belt system to see if that's any better, otherwise I guess it'll be back to trading.

Nicholai Pestot
December 19 2014, 09:49:32 AM
Fuck all the mining and trading. I'm putting down a slave insurrection in Sorbago.

morpheps
December 19 2014, 09:58:30 AM
Anybody here uses Voice attack? if so, is it responsive enough? This should be integrated to the game itself, what any true commander should have.

I use it. It's debatable I'd say. At least as a (fairly proficient) non-native english speaker, I sometimes have to repeat the command once or twice, but I'm guessing that it is better for native english speakers (or if you spend some time training your voice recognition software). I'd recommend it anyhow; it's very immersive, and has some usefull stuff like multiple commands. An example: "I'd like to dock"; reduces speed to 25 % (or whatever you want) and lowers the gear. Or you might say "Prepare to jump from asteroid belt", and Astra retracts hardpoints and cargo scoop, and activates the frameshift drive. What the game needs though, is separate bindings for lowering and raising gear, and same for hardpoints etc. Otherwise you end up in some funny situations, like when you have lowered the gear, and then utter the undying words "I'd like to dock" followed by a swift *bam* down on the landing pad. Good times.

If you're using Rift, it gets even better, since fidling with controls isn't what you want.

Cosmin
December 19 2014, 10:25:44 AM
What the game needs though, is separate bindings for lowering and raising gear, and same for hardpoints etc.

These were in the game the last time I played (Gamma something), did they take them out? I did need to rebind the landing gear thingie, but the hardpoints toggle was already bound to my HOTAS.

morpheps
December 19 2014, 10:39:52 AM
What the game needs though, is separate bindings for lowering and raising gear, and same for hardpoints etc.

These were in the game the last time I played (Gamma something), did they take them out? I did need to rebind the landing gear thingie, but the hardpoints toggle was already bound to my HOTAS.

I have the raise/lower landing gear to G and a button on my throttle. If I push G, and the gear isn't lowered, it will be lowered. If it is lowered, it will be raised. That's my point - it needs one button for lowering, and one for raising. I dunno if it has that, but even if it has, pushing that one button will still do both.

Sandzibar
December 19 2014, 11:24:24 AM
Fuck all the mining and trading. I'm putting down a slave insurrection in Sorbago.

Any good for gaining Empire rep? Might check it out after ive pimped my cobra.

FOR TEH EMPRAR!

Nicholai Pestot
December 19 2014, 12:24:09 PM

FOR TEH EMPRAR!

Yeah, increase in Empire wide rep and Empire Society rep, on-top of the direct rep gain with the local empire supported mining faction.

You going for a sexy navy clipper as well?

Sandzibar
December 19 2014, 12:34:17 PM

FOR TEH EMPRAR!

Yeah, increase in Empire wide rep and Empire Society rep, on-top of the direct rep gain with the local empire supported mining faction.

You going for a sexy navy clipper as well?

Probably not the clipper, but the Imp Courier when it gets added. Guessing it might need Emp rep. All Imp ships look great - especially the dictors.

Plus Imps being evil brit-style, how can one go for anything else? :monocledowns:

Saul
December 19 2014, 01:08:33 PM
New PSU has arrived, thank fuck. All wired in, now to run some heavy loads to see if anything pops.

Tailn
December 19 2014, 01:18:21 PM
New PSU has arrived, thank fuck. All wired in, now to run some heavy loads to see if anything pops.

Anti cat protection in place?

Sandzibar
December 19 2014, 01:44:43 PM

Comes with free dog.

Saul
December 19 2014, 02:00:30 PM

I'd already surrounded the case with boxes from all angles so the only way she can get back there is via the top of the case (still got plenty airflow though). I've also filed down the lock cavity in the door so it closes properly - previously she could throw her weight against it and push it open with enough effort.

The only real kitten protection is keeping her out of the room if it's running and I'm not in sight of the tower/her. Little shit has bitten through/destroyed cables on one desktop mic and two stereo speaker cables (twice now, I'm running out of spare length so if she gets through one again I'll have to buy new cable) in addition to the PSU. And torn up the carpet. And torn down a curtain multiple times.

I still love her to bits though.

Edit: am in the Lave/Leesti area currently. Starport interiors seem a little darker. Brighter traffic lights are good. Market appears to still be fucked, though there is still cash to be made on my old run - just not as much. They seem to have fixed most of the small gfx stutters as well.

Tailn
December 19 2014, 02:25:28 PM
Don't worry one of my mum's cats decided that her PC needed marking and went and sprayed over the Motherboard ports. Apparently cat urine is considerably worse than any other liquid (possibly excluding coke) for destroying electronics.

Meths
December 19 2014, 04:30:19 PM
Nice sig Saul.

Darkening
December 19 2014, 06:47:08 PM
I'm in the Ho His system slowly grinding gold between stations (4-6t's)

I should have enough cash by next week to move up from my sidewinder.

Levark
December 19 2014, 07:42:41 PM
mined for an hour got a few gold and palladium arrived to the station and no cargo, is this a common bug?

tulip
December 19 2014, 08:01:55 PM
mined for an hour got a few gold and palladium arrived to the station and no cargo, is this a common bug?

You were actually scooping the chunks of rock that fly off, right?

Levark
December 19 2014, 08:21:26 PM

Scooping, and refining, i saw my 4/6 cargo of different metals before warping out.

Sandzibar
December 19 2014, 08:33:53 PM

Scooping, and refining, i saw my 4/6 cargo of different metals before warping out.

didnt hit <end> by mistake did you?

jettison all cargo.

Torashuu
December 19 2014, 09:13:17 PM
Bounty hunting best hunting

http://i.imgur.com/k6lMdK6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9QT9VZm.jpg

Encounter with Barney Stinson was rather disappointing, he wasn't wanted by anyone. :/

morpheps
December 19 2014, 09:15:01 PM
I'm in the Ho His system slowly grinding gold between stations (4-6t's)

I should have enough cash by next week to move up from my sidewinder.

On that route myself atm; making about 400 profit each way, about 5 minutes from station to station, once I hit enough capital to fill my Type-6 each way (96 tonnes atm), profits should be around 450k pr hour, so not bad, but highly boring.

Edit: When money for proper upgrade to FSD is in hand, I might try this (http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteTraders/comments/2pq6pe/my_rare_commodities_circuit/) though.

Kraken
December 19 2014, 10:12:15 PM
having issues with interdiction, i fill the blue bar and i stay in the stream and have to log out and back in. Or i cut throttle. and i stay in the interdiction stream forever. or i cut throttle and no CUNT is there with me what a waste of time.

I have 92k and my upgraded free eagle. Do i get the Adder next or Hauler? Im currently doing more pew pew as space trucking looks fucking boring. killing pirates and doing bounty shite then scooping rare stolen loots.
Im thinking Adder might be a good upgrade to have more scoopy and more pew?

Darkening
December 19 2014, 10:32:50 PM
Saving for a cobra mk3 will then start pimping it.

Up to 64k so far.

helgur
December 19 2014, 11:43:46 PM

Encounter with Barney Stinson was rather disappointing, he wasn't wanted by anyone. :/

Now what really cooks my noodles is whatever Frontier Developments put that NPC name in the database or some random backer did it

Kraken
December 20 2014, 12:27:42 AM
decided, cobra first. save my moneys for that. running with 2 gimbled mutli cannon and 1 gimbled burst lazor on the eagle for bounties!

helgur
December 20 2014, 01:15:03 AM
Had one of my most intense fights ever, managed to kill my target (which was an anaconda) in my cobra, with just 5% hull left and a cabin that was breached. Made it back to the nearest outpost just in time to repair the ship before oxygen supplies ran out.

Guess investing in the better life support system payed off

Now if you excuse me I have to change my trousers .....

Shaikar
December 20 2014, 01:38:15 AM

Now what really cooks my noodles is whatever Frontier Developments put that NPC name in the database or some random backer did it
40 kickstarter pledge reward: "Your name* forms part of the naming database (so your name will be one of those used randomly for non-player in-game characters), plus all rewards above."
Roberts backed Elite.

QuackBot
December 20 2014, 05:00:24 AM
Had one of my most intense fights ever, managed to kill my target (which was an anaconda) in my cobra, with just 5% hull left and a cabin that was breached. Made it back to the nearest outpost just in time to repair the ship before oxygen supplies ran out.

Guess investing in the better life support system payed off

Now if you excuse me I have to change my trousers .....
The anaconda (see image) is basically a rip from saber :3.

Saul
December 20 2014, 11:05:33 AM
decided, cobra first. save my moneys for that. running with 2 gimbled mutli cannon and 1 gimbled burst lazor on the eagle for bounties!

Cobra is a decent all-rounder. You might find the Hauler gets you there faster than the Eagle, but if you don't fancy space trucking then (apart from being in the wrong game) I'd stick with what you've got.

morpheps
December 20 2014, 11:14:04 AM
Traded my Type-6 for a pimped Cobra Rare Item Trading Edition. 32 cargo space, 19 Ly jump range, fuel scoop, scanner and shields. Setting up a route, going to see if I can make more doing that than inter system space trucking, because damn that was boring..

Saul
December 20 2014, 11:21:15 AM
Good luck with that. I'll be interested to see how you do; Rares respawn very slowly now, or not at all if you have that rare in the cargo hold from what I can see.

Fix for the borked markets is due next week according to ED forums. NPC trading is providing stations with goods up to and over the demand level, and once demand hits zero any excess stock causes the station to become a producer of that good. This is why all the market data is wrong and why margins are shite everywhere.

morpheps
December 20 2014, 11:26:20 AM
I'll post tonight, but it is doable I think, just require some planning. Rares respawn at the same rate, but there's a cap per item after which it will not spawn more until you've sold what you have. Cap seems yo be around 10-15. Plan is to find a route were I can pick up 30 items (three different commodities) and then jump 150 Ly to another area where I can do the same. Requies more work than before, but still doable I think.

jadefalcon
December 20 2014, 11:47:13 AM
The lave area has 5 different rares, which is what make stocking up my lakon type 6 a lot easier...then going to one other system, afk do other stuff while it fills up. The multi rare routes seems doable, have to find the few rares that are not too far apart from each other (20-40LY / 1-2 jumps off).

Been doing more pew pew recently though, since couple friends and I have a private group and we just hang at a nav beacon to shoot stuff. Unable to get into the same resource extraction site though, which is odd...

Lana Torrin
December 20 2014, 01:11:37 PM
So I did one big rare run. Find rare close by, stock up as much as I can without staying in station forever (usually around 10t). Find new rare system about 60-80ly away and jump to it.. Stock up again until full. Find new rare system about 60-80ly away and jump to it. Unload rares from the first station and stock up on the new rares... you get the idea.. I chained about 6 systems and now I have a type-6.

So up side, I have a type-6.. Down side, I didn't upgrade the FSD so holy fuck it wont jump anywhere and fuel is expensive.

So.. Plan B.. I have made a spreadsheet of all tradeable goods and the buy/sell prices for every station within a single jump system of where I am. I have found a few station in the same system where I can make 20k a round trip without killing the price. Its boring as shit but its quick (they are only 15Ls apart). I can mix it up with a few jumps to other systems as apparently I have a mining system and an agri system right next to each other, so importing food is worth while.

Once I have a better jump drive I will probably start looking for a better trade route, but 20k for 10 mins of work (including updating the spreadsheet and bio breaks) isn't that bad.

So TL;DR.. ED is the new spreadsheets online.

Kraken
December 20 2014, 01:48:59 PM
im just pew pewing in my eagle. if i complete this mission i can buy a cobra. trading sounds dull even if it means ill be a poorfag. May do some exploration in the cobra? is that ship suited to it?

morpheps
December 20 2014, 01:49:55 PM
im just pew pewing in my eagle. if i complete this mission i can buy a cobra. trading sounds dull even if it means ill be a poorfag. May do some exploration in the cobra? is that ship suited to it?

Yes. It's a very versatile ship. Can defend itself, and has lots of slots and a big fuel bay.

Kraken
December 20 2014, 02:37:21 PM
steven koch is in an anaconda and is elite
he raped me with a missile, blew my shields and 56% hull. managed to bail.

helgur
December 20 2014, 02:50:32 PM
steven koch is in an anaconda and is elite
he raped me with a missile, blew my shields and 56% hull. managed to bail.

I would personally never take on an anaconda in the eagle. Especially not an elite one. Managed to kill a few with my Cobra, but its always a close call. Get close to it, manouver using your vertical and horizontal thrusters to stay behind him in his blindspot. Use shield cell batteries to replenish your shields to tank him better, and chaff to put his turrets off balance. Once you get his shield down use missiles.

That's how I deal with them anyway

Renox
December 20 2014, 02:54:13 PM
Can someone give me weapon hints? Just spent 20 minutes killing a wanted anaconda in my almost starter sidewinder (had help from 4 system secs that died during the course of the fight). We finally got him and the 150k bounty, but my guns almost did no damage. For the heck of it I spent some of my new wealth on a railgun, and while fun the ammo limit is quite a handicap. What guns would make good upgrade from the standard pulse lasers? Are burst worth anything?

Saul
December 20 2014, 03:31:20 PM
Can someone give me weapon hints? Just spent 20 minutes killing a wanted anaconda in my almost starter sidewinder (had help from 4 system secs that died during the course of the fight). We finally got him and the 150k bounty, but my guns almost did no damage. For the heck of it I spent some of my new wealth on a railgun, and while fun the ammo limit is quite a handicap. What guns would make good upgrade from the standard pulse lasers? Are burst worth anything?

Burst lasers aren't bad, if you're still in a Sidey then those over railguns for definite. Rails are big weps that draw a lot of power and have slow refire, generally intended for high alpha damage to larger ships.

Pulse > Burst > Beam for lasers, don't really know much about the projectile weps. All I know is lasers are better at shield killing and projectiles better at hull killing. Lots of players swear by the Multicannons, but I'm not a fan of the spool up time.

Kraken
December 20 2014, 03:46:19 PM
i run with 1 burst laser and 2 multicannons on the bottom of my eagle. works as well as anything. helps manage weapons powerdraw also, can run them indefinately on 3 pips approx. use Gimbled Weapons. Gimbled weapons are PRO.

Saul
December 20 2014, 03:57:25 PM
Gimbals are good and make aiming much easier, but they are very vulnerable to chaff. Against players it's not so bad as you know they'll run out of chaff ammo eventually, but NPCs seem to have infinite amounts.

Fixed weapons also do slightly more damage.

Saul
December 20 2014, 03:58:50 PM
Nice sig Saul.

Ta. It's not shopped in case anyone was wondering, though I took the snap in Gamma and have no fucking clue what system Bacon City is actually in.

Currently operating out of George Lucas station in Leesti. Every time I dock I see this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ct7mYcf6Vrw/TezAOf2FaEI/AAAAAAAACEQ/dzdDz4zqczM/s1600/china_problem.png

so I may need to find another base station soon.

morpheps
December 20 2014, 04:08:18 PM
It is in a system called Carnoeck. IIRC it's in orbit around a yellowish planet looking like a cheese.

QuackBot
December 20 2014, 05:00:14 PM
It is in a system called Carnoeck. IIRC it's in orbit around a yellowish planet looking like a cheese.
The planet is a big booty bitch.

Saul
December 20 2014, 05:08:45 PM

Carnoeck definitely sounds familiar, well remembered!

Edit: Man, margin trading really is bollocksed at the moment. I can't find anything better than 1k/ton profit even with 7-8 jump routes. They really need to get that fix in.

DaBigCheez
December 20 2014, 06:14:25 PM
I've just been doing rare-good runs in a Cobra and playing Pimp My Ride. Have max-upgraded everything but shields and power plant now, then I'll start dicking around interdicting people in anarchy systems for lulz / exploring 20000 LY away / trying to mine for five minutes again before I remember what an unprofitable pain in the ass it is

Ben Derindar
December 20 2014, 06:35:42 PM
Yeah, mining is definitely not what it used to be in the beta anymore.

Arrived at Glusu, a refining/industrial democracy with a pristine metallic belt in it (pretty much the holy grail combination for prospective miners). Think the best rock I could find had about 10% palladium, when I used to get over 30% in every second rock. At those amounts I could deal with mining as it felt like literally scooping dollar signs, but sadly it appears to be not worth the effort/boredom anymore.

Edit: finding a few more rocks of up to 20-30% now. They're still a lot more scattered than in beta, but they are out there.

Steckersaurus
December 20 2014, 06:56:35 PM
So I've wasted a bit of time running missions and whatnot, thinking it's time to quit that and start doing the rares trading. How do I find info on those? Is it listed on the galaxy map?

DaBigCheez
December 20 2014, 07:04:33 PM
I have found a rock with 25-40% Palladium fragment content, but it was only a cluster and just the one rock (most of them were silver/gallite).

For rares, there's no good way to document them on the galaxy map, afaik; I just use https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haUVaFIxFq5IPqZugJ8cfCEqBrZvFFzcA-uXB4pTfW4/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true# instead of finding them for myself 'cause gotta grind fast

morpheps
December 20 2014, 08:31:47 PM
Did a run now following a tip from r/EliteTraders/, from Njangari to Kamitra to Yaso Kondi to Rapa Bao. Not an optimal route, but netted me around 300k. The problem is that the cap of each rare commodity is different. For two of those on my route, it was around 10-12, for two of them it was 6. It might be tied to price, I'm not sure, but both of the ones I only got 5-6 from were around 6k/unit. The latter ones sell for somewhat more though. Needs work to figure out a more efficient route, but rare trading is still very much an option, it's just not easy mode anymore. I dunno if it's more profitable than other stuff, but in the Cobra, it's quite fun, and the fuel costs (I don't always scoop the tanks full again) are covered by doing exploration of unknown suns when refueling anyway (getting around 1200 for a red dwarf with detailed surface).

Approaching Walrus
December 20 2014, 08:43:55 PM
What nets better money you guys think? Trading, or deep space exploration in a place like the Orion Nebula?

Steckersaurus
December 20 2014, 09:06:18 PM
What nets better money you guys think? Trading, or deep space exploration in a place like the Orion Nebula?

Unless they've changed it, exploration isn't a great way to make money. If you have the top-of-the-line scanner that can basically scan an entire system after you jump into it, that can make you some money, but that costs something like 500k to begin with. Otherwise, exploration is a lot of work for not much gain.

ofc, if you suck at other forms of money making (like me) it's not so bad. I've made around 10k just from selling the data I got by jumping through systems and scanning the star before jumping out. But that's not really good money, it's just good for covering fuel costs.

Tailn
December 20 2014, 10:32:06 PM
So TL;DR.. ED is the new spreadsheets online.

If I had known what spread sheets were when I was 8 I would have abused them back in the original elite as well.

Nicholai Pestot
December 21 2014, 12:05:29 AM
I'm chasing storylines myself.

Us Empire loyalists got our asses kicked in Sorbago last night by an organised rebel group. News story today put it up for all to see. They even specified the cluster (A1) that my ship got blapped in as the area where the rebels made gains. Gave me a little :fuck yeah: moment.

Much better than messing around in some bumfuck nowhere system for imaginary space moneys.

Straight Hustlin
December 21 2014, 12:51:12 AM
Been making some decent progress, some better doodads on the freeagle. Have one of those missions to kill an anaconda, been able to get him down to 80% hull at best before i have to bug out. Last attempted i made it out with 4% hull. Think ill just stick to interdicting pirates for now; was making pretty good isk off the bounties.

Not sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

QuackBot
December 21 2014, 01:00:18 AM
Yeah, mining is definitely not what it used to be in the beta anymore.

Arrived at Glusu, a refining/industrial democracy with a pristine metallic belt in it (pretty much the holy grail combination for prospective miners). Think the best rock I could find had about 10% palladium, when I used to get over 30% in every second rock. At those amounts I could deal with mining as it felt like literally scooping dollar signs, but sadly it appears to be not worth the effort/boredom anymore.

Edit: finding a few more rocks of up to 20-30% now. They're still a lot more scattered than in beta, but they are out there.
When is the next date.

Trindermon
December 21 2014, 09:40:46 AM
i have not really played much since beta (i was one of those people fearing yet another wipe so i decided that there was going to be one and i wouldn't play till its live) : anyhow - all ive done so far is a couple of hours in the eagle around some resource extraction sites killing the various pirates and wanted folks. Going to save up for a warrant scanner probably so i can tell if people have bounty's on them in differing systems. so far all ive bought is a cannon for the 3rd slot (projectiles of some sort, cant remember, none gambled in any case).

will probably not upgrade the eagle more now and just scope out hunting grounds whilst wandering around and make cash as a side project, the eagles more than enough atm : want cobra like any good hunter anyhow ;-)

fuck space truckin, totally going to make my cash through blood :P (yes its slow and inefficient - but its fun and fuck space truckin).

Saul
December 21 2014, 10:11:10 AM

If you want to explore, you want at least a Cobra and at least the intermediate discovery scanner (half a mil) or the advanced scanner (1.5 mil) and the detailed scanner (250k). And a fuel scoop. And maybe a repair system. And at least a B class FSD.

Don't go to the Orion nebula for bank as it's big, bright and obvious - so at least some players have already been there. Pick somewhere very far off in a direction less likely to attract magpies and you'll do ok. You'll make the most money out of earthlike planets and good mining systems iirc.

Realistically, you'll have to trade for a bit to get set up before you go if you want any chance of making it back. On the plus side, once you're 500LY from the core systems you should stop seeing NPCs and NPC interdictions.

Edit: Did a bit myself in Gamma but only went a few hundred LY. Sort of tempted to burn for one of the coreward purple mushroom nebulas. It would mean trading in the Type 6 but I'm not finding much worthwhile in terms of trade routes anyway, and markets might have stabilised by the time I get back. Hmm..

Steckersaurus
December 21 2014, 01:39:51 PM

Us Empire loyalists got our asses kicked in Sorbago last night by an organised rebel group. News story today put it up for all to see. They even specified the cluster (A1) that my ship got blapped in as the area where the rebels made gains. Gave me a little :fuck yeah: moment.

Much better than messing around in some bumfuck nowhere system for imaginary space moneys.

Bummer. I went to sorbago but really couldn't figure out what to do there. Ran a few missions, dinked around in the conflict zones shooting system defense vessels, but couldn't do much in a sidewinder.

What's an empire loyalist to do now?

Sandzibar
December 21 2014, 01:41:28 PM
Best route ive found is 1450 profit per ton for the circuit (A to B and back to A).

Hopefully next week they will fix trade, currently there seems to be 0 stations with High demand for products..

Nicholai Pestot
December 21 2014, 02:14:08 PM

Bummer. I went to sorbago but really couldn't figure out what to do there. Ran a few missions, dinked around in the conflict zones shooting system defense vessels, but couldn't do much in a sidewinder.

Find bros to fly with and team up on kills, alternating who gets the killing blow. (PM me your in game handle). I'm visiting family a fair bit over the holidays but in between I am fighting for teh emperor.

The combat ships are tough and are optimized for combat. Thick armour, ecm, chaff etc etc so you need good quality fixed mount weapons to burn them down. Get an eagle asap. Get a multicannon asap. You want lasers to burn their shields and multicannons to destroy their hull.

Support the loyalists organisations in the system (mining/society) every way you can with every mission you can while building up some cash in order to get the ship you need. Don't do missions for independents or rebels.

Go to the warzones near the station owned by the liberals - there are plenty of players there to hunt and most of them don't come equipped with the diamond hard Armour of the warzone ships. As long as you set your faction to the mining corp and they have their faction set to the liberals, they count as hostiles that you can freely engage. If you can, set your subsystem targeting to their drive. Players have shit equipment most of the time but crap themselves and run as soon as they take damage.

Lana Torrin
December 21 2014, 03:03:29 PM
So the only way I have found to actually make money with the type-6 while trading is to get a fuel scoop. Now I can actually do the 4 and 5 jump runs so I can make a profit and then not end up blowing all that profit on upkeep.

I think the NPC traders are "too good" and also because they don't have to pay for upkeep they will take the smallest margins.. They has pretty much meant that the market as a whole is flattening out.. I really don't think they put any thought in to how this was going to actually work..

Raxxman
December 21 2014, 03:04:43 PM
So the only way I have found to actually make money with the type-6 while trading is to get a fuel scoop. Now I can actually do the 4 and 5 jump runs so I can make a profit and then not end up blowing all that profit on upkeep.

I think the NPC traders are "too good" and also because they don't have to pay for upkeep they will take the smallest margins.. They has pretty much meant that the market as a whole is flattening out.. I really don't think they put any thought in to how this was going to actually work..

Little guy getting fucked over by the man huh? :)

morpheps
December 21 2014, 03:09:18 PM

There is a reason why they're patching it next week :)

Steckersaurus
December 21 2014, 03:22:20 PM

Find bros to fly with and team up on kills, alternating who gets the killing blow. (PM me your in game handle). I'm visiting family a fair bit over the holidays but in between I am fighting for teh emperor.

The combat ships are tough and are optimized for combat. Thick armour, ecm, chaff etc etc so you need good quality fixed mount weapons to burn them down. Get an eagle asap. Get a multicannon asap. You want lasers to burn their shields and multicannons to destroy their hull.

Support the loyalists organisations in the system (mining/society) every way you can with every mission you can while building up some cash in order to get the ship you need. Don't do missions for independents or rebels.

Go to the warzones near the station owned by the liberals - there are plenty of players there to hunt and most of them don't come equipped with the diamond hard Armour of the warzone ships. As long as you set your faction to the mining corp and they have their faction set to the liberals, they count as hostiles that you can freely engage. If you can, set your subsystem targeting to their drive. Players have shit equipment most of the time but crap themselves and run as soon as they take damage.

Cheers, will give that a shot when I've finish these slave smuggling missions. I mistakenly failed to notice that slaves are illegal most places - even in the empire. But I found a supplier and I'm learning to smuggle and how to get into a station really damned fast before I can get scanned. 30k credits (50k reward minus 20k material cost) for a mission I can do in a sidewinder? I'll take it.

Smuggling stuff into a station as local security is trying to scan me is the first time I've really had my heart start pounding in this game. Fun stuff.

Saul
December 21 2014, 03:32:43 PM

Fix for the borked markets is due next week according to ED forums. NPC trading is providing stations with goods up to and over the demand level, and once demand hits zero any excess stock causes the station to become a producer of that good (they should stop buying at zero). This is why all the market data is wrong and why margins are shite everywhere.

In other news I sold my Type 6 and threw an Advanced Discovery Scanner, a Detailed Surface Scanner, a C2 Repair Module and a C4 Fuel Scoop on my mostly B/A Cobra. Now 1200 ish LY out from Lave heading for the Trifid Nebula. Cause Trifids.

Kraken
December 21 2014, 03:36:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/z0to07H.png

Kraken
December 21 2014, 04:02:45 PM
nightmare. found 2 wanted anacondas, 50k bounty and 70k. 2 police also there! anaconda and a viper! i know ill wait and nab the final blows while the cops do all the work. get no bounties as the cops finish them with missiles and i just now have 51% eagle hull health. no payday for me.

Torashuu
December 21 2014, 04:11:01 PM
Use multi cannons to shoot their powerplants, you get the kill while their hull is still at 40% and police is drawing fire. Or use torpedos.
if you plan to regularly engage anacondas you need to fit shield cells. Ecm , pd and chaff are optional. Especially early on distraction in the form of police is a godsend.

if you are a good shot use railguns while sitting out at 2km. Good damage vs subsystems. But a bitch to fit and hard to land the shots. Have to know at which angles you get maximum subsystem damage.

only get close if you can sit at the blindspot indefinitely or tank the full turret output. At range they miss loads so its to your advantage if you use fixed weapons. Atleast before you get a ship where you can just rip the shit out of them.

Currently in my viper I can finish them before the cops arrive. Except the one time I got hit by the plasma accelerator followed by a missile that nuked my thrusters. Was alive and kicking but no thruster= cant travel so then self destruction is the only option.

Kraken
December 21 2014, 04:33:15 PM
so killing the powerplant kills the ship regardless of hull health? or do you just get then asigned the kill once the ship blows? I use 2 multies and one burst laser. Oh killed my first player today. just an eagle who was sat at no speed and was wanted. 12k in my pocket kthx cmdr whoeveryournamewasdoesntmatteryouaredeadnow

Torashuu
December 21 2014, 04:44:04 PM
Destroying the powerplant or FSD is instapop. Generally found powerplant to be easier to hit. But hitting fsd is usefull for interrupting jumps if you have sufficient fierpower.

Straight Hustlin
December 21 2014, 04:54:46 PM
Keeping up the hunting. Souped up the eagle a bit more with two nice gimbaled burst lasers, better reactor and power system, also picked up a warrant scanner. Warrant scanner is great, getting some really nice bounties now. Got multiple 40K+ bounties off of some cobra's and asp's, if it keeps up i should have a cobra myself this evening

Kraken
December 21 2014, 08:07:02 PM
what is the difference between torps and dumbfire missiles?

Torashuu
December 21 2014, 08:16:34 PM
Torps home, are 15k cr a piece and can fit 1 in class 1 and 2 in a class 2 launcher. Dumbfires are, well , dumfire rocket pods with higher ammo count and I think 200cr each. Both are best launched at really close range.

morpheps
December 21 2014, 09:31:34 PM
I've stolen a route mentioned in r/EliteTraders, and done some math based off some of the posts there and in the bible (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haUVaFIxFq5IPqZugJ8cfCEqBrZvFFzcA-uXB4pTfW4/pubhtml). This is what I've come up with

http://i.imgur.com/u5bC8Cp.png

Not sure how long time it will take, since I've yet to be able to run it, but the guy who came up with it was making around 5-600k/hour. I guess somewhere along those lines. I'm going to check it out, but doubt I'll be able to tonight.

According to the math, you should be able to run a profit of around 750k pr run, minus fuel and repairs. I'm scooping, and most of the station to station runs are 70-100 Ly, so quite doable. If you're using an Adder, I'd say don't bother scooping unless you're not able to make it to the next point, but a Cobra will be better of doing some scooping.

rufuske
December 21 2014, 09:49:58 PM
I just got my teeth kicked in by Anaconda with beam laser turrets, plasma accelerator and some missiles. Was in Cobra. I used to be able to solo them in my C class viper with shield cells. :(

helgur
December 21 2014, 10:33:39 PM
Chaff helps a lot and makes those turrets loose their lock. I personally use class 2 pulse lasers to take down his shields and then pound him with dumbfire missiles. Also stay either under his belly or behind him and you should be fine

Devec
December 21 2014, 10:47:03 PM
Managed to rake up a good 20k credits in my shitewinder. Decided to explore a bit more and head toward a random station to see if I couldn't sell of more map data. While arriving at the station I had the brilliant idea to test to see if I could glide unseen into the docking bay using silent running. Ended up getting detected as an intruder and immediately put to death by the docking cannons.

Lana Torrin
December 21 2014, 11:33:19 PM

Fix for the borked markets is due next week according to ED forums. NPC trading is providing stations with goods up to and over the demand level, and once demand hits zero any excess stock causes the station to become a producer of that good (they should stop buying at zero). This is why all the market data is wrong and why margins are shite everywhere.

In other news I sold my Type 6 and threw an Advanced Discovery Scanner, a Detailed Surface Scanner, a C2 Repair Module and a C4 Fuel Scoop on my mostly B/A Cobra. Now 1200 ish LY out from Lave heading for the Trifid Nebula. Cause Trifids.

Let me know how that turns out.. I was going to head toward the center of the galaxy when i finally got mine up and running. In the mean time in (non-lethal) gun running.

Darkening
December 21 2014, 11:47:58 PM
Can't get my chaff launcher to work :(

Got it setup to a key and have enough power for it, it's popping up with not enough power (which it has) or doesn't nothing at all.

Fighting a Anaconda for 170k and it's beating me very badly atm.

Straight Hustlin
December 22 2014, 12:46:08 AM
The anaconda kill missions are quite rapey, i find its far more practical to hunt down wanted cobras & asps for 30-45k a pop

QuackBot
December 22 2014, 01:00:22 AM

Got it setup to a key and have enough power for it, it's popping up with not enough power (which it has) or doesn't nothing at all.

It's got a thread now.

helgur
December 22 2014, 02:21:59 AM
Just stay under/behind the anaconda and he wont be able to damage you

Steckersaurus
December 22 2014, 02:32:42 AM

Chaff launcher needs ammo, do you have it?

Managed to rake up a good 20k credits in my shitewinder. Decided to explore a bit more and head toward a random station to see if I couldn't sell of more map data. While arriving at the station I had the brilliant idea to test to see if I could glide unseen into the docking bay using silent running. Ended up getting detected as an intruder and immediately put to death by the docking cannons.

The trick is to ask for docking permission first. I've done a couple smuggling runs (personal weapons and slaves, mostly) where I had to hit silent run to avoid being scanned by local cops. But it's really only the cops I'm worried about seeing me, so I'm just burning toward the station full blast, hitting silent run when I get scanned, and diving into the dock like a madman. It's worked out so far, haven't been busted yet.

helgur
December 22 2014, 02:45:58 AM
I've stolen a route mentioned in r/EliteTraders, and done some math based off some of the posts there and in the bible (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1haUVaFIxFq5IPqZugJ8cfCEqBrZvFFzcA-uXB4pTfW4/pubhtml). This is what I've come up with

Not sure how long time it will take, since I've yet to be able to run it, but the guy who came up with it was making around 5-600k/hour. I guess somewhere along those lines. I'm going to check it out, but doubt I'll be able to tonight.

According to the math, you should be able to run a profit of around 750k pr run, minus fuel and repairs. I'm scooping, and most of the station to station runs are 70-100 Ly, so quite doable. If you're using an Adder, I'd say don't bother scooping unless you're not able to make it to the next point, but a Cobra will be better of doing some scooping.

Just did the first stop on that route now (Eleu - Heike), and the Thermals only sells for 2772 a piece. What gives? A profit of 20K is hardly worth the effort :/

Lana Torrin
December 22 2014, 05:38:31 AM
So i've sold up, bought a cobra and im heading out toward the coalsack nebula.. Or at least I would be if it was SO FAR AWAY!!!!

So far ive scanned 3 complete systems at random (I have got to be something like 200Ly away from the closest populated system). Found a neat looking trinary system where suns 2 and 3 were almost touching.. I really have no idea what im looking for.. I'm considering turning back because I hit the station on the way out and my hull is at 31% (seriously apart from that 1 afterburner in to the back of the station in beta, this is the first time I have hit a station).

Renox
December 22 2014, 07:08:35 AM
After doing some bounty hunting in resource belts (system security makes for good distractions on high value targets) I got enough for my cobra today. 2 gimballed burst lasers and 2 multicannons is quite an upgrade from a sidewinder... The gun placement is a bit odd though. It seems the two guns under the hull are spaced so much that only gimballs make any sense there.

Lana Torrin
December 22 2014, 07:13:01 AM
Whats the quickest way to gain rank (and 18 million?) I found a gunship for sale..

Edit: I guess I should report on my outing..

So I made it about half way out, which as it turns out in about 200Ly. So it turns out that the coalsack nebula isn't that far away. All up I made a whopping 80k from selling the exploration data, but it was pretty clear which systems I stoppedi n and actually did some scanning and which ones I didnt. On average I made between 5k and 15k for systems I stopped to scan around in (max was just under 20k). I found nothing spectacular so I guess if you managed to find something good there would be a decent payout for that.

You need the best system scanner you can get your hands on. The 1.5Mil one looks like it will probably make it a lot easier as I was frequently jumping in to systems and scanning nothing (there could have been nothing there I guess).

Getting paid to fly around systems and enjoy the view isn't bad really.

Sandzibar
December 22 2014, 07:46:55 AM
By grinding dem trade routes and faction missions :D

Just make sure the missions are for the RIGHT faction.

The Imp faction.

Sandzibar
December 22 2014, 07:48:48 AM
After doing some bounty hunting in resource belts (system security makes for good distractions on high value targets) I got enough for my cobra today. 2 gimballed burst lasers and 2 multicannons is quite an upgrade from a sidewinder... The gun placement is a bit odd though. It seems the two guns under the hull are spaced so much that only gimballs make any sense there.

Yeah gun placement on cobra is balls. Vipers layout is much better.

Asp has a great setup. 4 smalls, 2 meds, all tightly clustered around the nose.

morpheps
December 22 2014, 07:49:08 AM
Rank is done gained through certain g action mission, for example naval ascension missions or what ever they're called

Sandzibar
December 22 2014, 07:51:56 AM

Just did the first stop on that route now (Eleu - Heike), and the Thermals only sells for 2772 a piece. What gives? A profit of 20K is hardly worth the effort :/

Well according to morpheps chart you should be selling thermals at waypoint #4, not #2. Remember you need to hit a 160ly distance between buy and sell systems to max your profit on a rare.

morpheps
December 22 2014, 07:55:25 AM
Yeah, it is setup as a circle, so you normally need to carry stuff two waypoints before selling it.

An alternative (for example in an Adder or a Hauler) is going back and forth between Eleu and Coquim. Eleu is capped at 13 items, but Coquim has 20 max.

Darkening
December 22 2014, 09:19:30 AM

Yep it's got a full mag, it's set to firegroup two so that should be the right mouse button, tried tapping it and holding it down when i'm been targeted.

Only thing i found that might be messing me up is a powerplant bug, so i'm going to try selling my new one and putting in another one to see if that sorts it.

Will try that this afternoon as im about to head in to town for the last xmas shopping :(

Levark
December 22 2014, 09:55:21 AM
did they buffed bounty rewards somehow? i did 120k this morning in like half an hour before going to work. Somehow i keep getting more and more targets of 30k that are more than killable using just a sidewinder with multicannons.

Lana Torrin
December 22 2014, 10:53:34 AM
Welcome to HIP 63835.

We start with a 74.8 Solar mass O class star (so a big blue one). Its orbited by a black hole. Orbiting that is a cluster of 9 stars, 1 gas giant and a number of smaller rocky planets. Orbiting all of that is a pair of black holes (orbiting each other) and trapped in a close orbit around them is a cluster of more 4 stars. There are some more rocky plants out here and a gas giant with a ring..

You do not want to live here..

morpheps
December 22 2014, 10:58:04 AM
Welcome to HIP 63835.

We start with a 74.8 Solar mass O class star (so a big blue one). Its orbited by a black hole. Orbiting that is a cluster of 9 stars, 1 gas giant and a number of smaller rocky planets. Orbiting all of that is a pair of black holes (orbiting each other) and trapped in a close orbit around them is a cluster of more 4 stars. There are some more rocky plants out here and a gas giant with a ring..

Jackpot for exploration though? Or do they pay more for habitable stuff?

Lana Torrin
December 22 2014, 11:07:18 AM
Welcome to HIP 63835.

I have no idea.. I can only imagine they pay more for useful stuff like ore sites and habitable planets.. Having said that this is a pretty cool system to explorer around. Just when you think you have all the stars you find another one.

Joe Appleby
December 22 2014, 11:22:18 AM
This might be a game I buy. Will an i5-2500k, a GTX 560Ti and 16gb of memory be enough?

Sandzibar
December 22 2014, 11:36:51 AM
This might be a game I buy. Will an i5-2500k, a GTX 560Ti and 16gb of memory be enough?

Ive got a i5-2500k and a GTX670 and the game flys at a great framerate. Its a pretty slick engine theyve made.

helgur
December 22 2014, 12:01:16 PM
Oh, ok. I read that chart wrong then

Darkening
December 22 2014, 12:23:54 PM

Runs like a dream on a AMD Phenom 2 x4 955 BE with 8gb and a R9 280x

Lana Torrin
December 22 2014, 12:41:53 PM

I had an i7 and a GTX 570 before and it ran great on pretty much max settings. I cant see why your rig wouldn't run it well.

Bombcrater
December 22 2014, 12:51:26 PM
You probably won't get high detail with a 560ti, but it'll run fine.

helgur
December 22 2014, 01:38:46 PM
Also, is there any trick to make the startmap update the routes faster. Doing these > 100 LY runs and plotting the routes for them takes ages when waiting for the map to update

Darkening
December 22 2014, 02:35:18 PM
Got the launcher to work by rebinding it to the keyboard.

Still can't kill the target it's too big for my sidewinder, might have to go missiles.

Levark
December 22 2014, 02:54:36 PM
I was wondering, do you still get the bounties from other factions without scanning the targets? I managed to kill an anaconda with 130k for the federation and it also gave me 100k for the empire to claim. I always scan my targets but i only saw the 130k for the federation.

This game raises me more questions everytime i log in.

helgur
December 22 2014, 05:04:03 PM
I'm not sure about the rare trade route morpheps posted though. Have done a complete circle now and I am not convinced its more profitable than mining. With a Type-6 with 7 slot refinery I am pretty sure I can beat this income / hour by a solid margin. That is offcourse if you have the ISK to afford that kind of equipment in the first place.

That being said both of these options are boring as fuck. Think I'm going to go back to some bounty hounting anacondas

helgur
December 22 2014, 05:37:11 PM
Ref my previous question about the map, I found a partial solution to it. Setting the map to the fastest route and not the most economical makes calculation of routes much faster. But be prepared to use a lot of fuel, so it might not be a good idea if you don't have either a fast fuel scoop or a very good FSD. My Cobra's FSD is a Class 4/A so it uses minimal fuel, but I think I need to invest in a better fuel scoop aswell :S

morpheps
December 22 2014, 05:58:24 PM
I'm not sure about the rare trade route morpheps posted though. Have done a complete circle now and I am not convinced its more profitable than mining. With a Type-6 with 7 slot refinery I am pretty sure I can beat this income / hour by a solid margin. That is offcourse if you have the ISK to afford that kind of equipment in the first place.

That being said both of these options are boring as fuck. Think I'm going to go back to some bounty hounting anacondas

Well, I didn't claim it was the best money making option available. It is doable in an Adder though, so for new people, it's up there I reckon (the Mining setup is quite expensive, as you point out). I agree that trading isn't fun, but IMHO it beats mining.

morpheps
December 22 2014, 06:03:26 PM
Hi,

here are the latest server changes:

Hot-fixes from over the weekend:

- When a distributed transaction fails in a certain way, make sure the servers roll back such that Commanders' credit balances should be added to, even if we might have failed to remove the item they were selling
- Significantly reduce the number '499' timeout errors triggered when Commanders travel to certain types of star systems.
- Improve the 'stuck cargo' cleaning check when a Commander first logs in
- Fix a bug preventing some people logging into the Companion app

Today's changes:

- Fixed a bug that was sometimes causing a market to flip from being a net consumer to a net producer when the AI traders supplied significantly more into that market than the market demands. This will mean that many commodities currently listed at a low level of 'demand' will revert back to the 'not interested' price, as they should have been.

- Fixed a small set of bugs that were working together to cause the AI traders to significantly over supply an import market in a specific set of circumstances.

This bug fix will increase the demand numbers being offered to Commanders for consumed commodities where there isn't a large exporting market nearby supplying that demand.
Where large exporting markets are nearby, the AI traders will now respect their import caps and leave some demand for Commanders.
In that situation, the exporting markets should see a slightly increased level of supply available for Commanders to purchase.

These bug fixes together should also sort out some of the 'backwards' trade route data over the next day or so when the data next update.

For the trading the changes in demand should propagate quickly but for the trade routes may take a day or so. This has uncovered an issue with split markets stacking rather than being netter out, although this effect is minor compared to the previous issue. We'll then record the stats over Christmas to identify what further tweaks are needed.

Thanks!

Michael

This should hopefully make those decent 1k/t route reappear

Saul
December 22 2014, 06:19:06 PM
Sweet, hopefully trading should start to return to normal!

Edit: lots of dead routes being talked about on the ED forums. Looks like it has worked, should be back to beta/early gamma trading in a few days (i.e. it will actually make sense).

Cosmin
December 22 2014, 07:11:18 PM
I miss accessible Anarchy systems so I can plunder the Gold in cosmic signatures, is that still a thing for fast income?

Devec
December 22 2014, 08:45:50 PM
Tried doing a bit of mining in my shitewinder. Is it true that there absolutely no mineral scanners or anything because the current system, although many times better than eve, makes it very tedious to do some small time mining.

helgur
December 22 2014, 10:06:58 PM
Tried doing a bit of mining in my shitewinder. Is it true that there absolutely no mineral scanners or anything because the current system, although many times better than eve, makes it very tedious to do some small time mining.

Yes, although devs have hinted it is work in progress and they will make mining a bit easier in the future with scanners etc.

Mining is tedious though. At least when you are trading you get to see new stuff. Like me now for instance. Visited Alpha Centauri. Fucking Hutton orbital station being 0.22 LY away from the beacon. WTF I'm going 2300c and its like going in a snails pace :psyduck:

Devec
December 22 2014, 10:15:37 PM
I gave up on mining in the end and just sold my mining junk, seriously I shouldn't even have attempted it with a refinery that only has one bay.

Saul
December 22 2014, 11:09:19 PM
Can't do it, the knowledge that there's still 3000+ly to go has killed my motivation. Now veering off towards a nebula closer to home. Class 3 FSD is what's doing it (Cobra), you really want to be doing the long range stuff in an Asp or something with a big drive.

Ted Breakers
December 22 2014, 11:22:49 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to morpheps again.

Lana Torrin
December 22 2014, 11:22:53 PM
Can't do it, the knowledge that there's still 3000+ly to go has killed my motivation. Now veering off towards a nebula closer to home. Class 3 FSD is what's doing it (Cobra), you really want to be doing the long range stuff in an Asp or something with a big drive.

Yep. I hate short jumps..

Steckersaurus
December 22 2014, 11:25:36 PM

Yep it's got a full mag, it's set to firegroup two so that should be the right mouse button, tried tapping it and holding it down when i'm been targeted.

Only thing i found that might be messing me up is a powerplant bug, so i'm going to try selling my new one and putting in another one to see if that sorts it.

Will try that this afternoon as im about to head in to town for the last xmas shopping :(

There be your issue. Fire group two means you have to cycle firegroups to use it - as opposed to having it set to the second trigger in fire group one. If you have your guns selected (fire group 1) and the chaff launcher isn't showing up on the left, then you've messed up.

What you want to do is assign it to fire group 1 and then click on it a second time to assign it to secondary fire.

Torashuu
December 22 2014, 11:39:43 PM
Chaff, like heat sinks, get a separate non firegroup 1,2 key.

Darkening
December 23 2014, 12:07:15 AM
Set it to O in the end and it worked then, also got called a cunt by a viper pilot tonight, he was super bad at killing an npc with his fixed lasers.
So i power silde past him and start unloading in to the powerplant of the cobra he was trying to hit and get the 7k bounty. (knocked out the shields as he was only getting 1 hit in every 5)

helgur
December 23 2014, 01:38:13 AM
I'm now 1 mill away from the ASP, but think I am going to save up some buffer, not least on insurance but also some modules that make it at least on par with the performance I am used to from the ships I fly now

Lana Torrin
December 23 2014, 01:50:09 AM
Made the nebula on attempt number 2 (I didnt hit the station on the way out this time). Got quite a lot of system scans in so I may just head back now. There was a named system out here (I can remember the name though) and it was full of NPC pirates... They tried to interdict me like 3 times..

helgur
December 23 2014, 03:25:02 AM
Made the nebula on attempt number 2 (I didnt hit the station on the way out this time). Got quite a lot of system scans in so I may just head back now. There was a named system out here (I can remember the name though) and it was full of NPC pirates... They tried to interdict me like 3 times..

Must be a bounty hounters heaven. Could be worth to revisit later

Lana Torrin
December 23 2014, 03:26:21 AM
Welcome to HIP 63835.

http://onebit.us/x/i/dyRmY3iDfI.png

helgur
December 23 2014, 03:30:51 AM
Nice one Lana

Also, fuck these 1 million + Ls travels to stations. Seriously.

Steckersaurus
December 23 2014, 03:52:10 AM
Welcome to HIP 63835.

http://onebit.us/x/i/dyRmY3iDfI.png

damn, that's pretty awesome.

Saul
December 23 2014, 08:04:28 AM
Looks like you found an earthlike planet, they always sell for decent money.

Max Teranous
December 23 2014, 08:28:06 AM
Anyone know how exploration is gonna work longer term? i mean in a year or 2's time when everything even vaguely nearby has been scanned to death already.

QuackBot
December 23 2014, 09:00:15 AM
Looks like you found an earthlike planet, they always sell for decent money.
Like for instance, if i am not sure would play because he is like.

Lana Torrin
December 23 2014, 09:13:36 AM
Anyone know how exploration is gonna work longer term? i mean in a year or 2's time when everything even vaguely nearby has been scanned to death already.

Is it even synced? Most of the systems im jumping though even around rare systems havent been mapped out yet.

Torashuu
December 23 2014, 12:55:48 PM

Is it even synced? Most of the systems im jumping though even around rare systems havent been mapped out yet.

Successive scan of the same planet/system decrease in reward given. Since there are billions of systems it just tkaes longer to fight the maiden ones.