PDA

View Full Version : WIN7 update issue

Tellenta
April 28 2011, 08:22:59 AM
I'm in a constant loop atm, only really bums me out at boot up because it now takes forever (5 minutes is a long time ok?).

Whats going on is this.

On boot up I get the "please wait configuring blah blah %0"

Then it sits there for 3 to 5ish minutes

Then it tells me update failed reverting to previous install.

I can't manually update everything it tells me it needs updating is already updated in another "flavor" WIN7 is not a fan of Neapolitan ice cream I guess.

What do?

Spooky Mooky
April 28 2011, 08:47:40 AM
I got this last night too. :(

Tellenta
April 28 2011, 09:21:04 AM
I think Kapersky botched their program turning it off fixed most things. It was literally grabbing everything that was trying to install things (updates) or trying to run things (steam) and calling them malicious and halting all actions.

whispous
April 28 2011, 10:13:51 AM
I had this yesterday. Using avast.

Tellenta
April 28 2011, 11:09:56 AM
I had this yesterday. Using avast.

Kapersky violated the living shit out of my steam program, made it a non functional program that could not update, had to uninstall it and re-install. Which in the process I learned that if I tell Kapersky to turn off until reboot what it actually does is not tell me it is still running. It then proceeded to ravage anything I have on my computer that is steam related which isn't much but the 16 GB program called total war shogun 2 got raped and any efforts to make it run led to a crash. So I've written a nasty letter to kapersky to sooth my passive aggressive white-boy nature, uninstalled Kapersky and am now re-downloading shogun 2. Currently staring at my windows updates trying to decide if I want to know how fucked it is, and looking at the download counter for shogun 2. 9 hours 45 minutes left to go, fuck yeah.

Loganbacca
April 28 2011, 11:53:23 AM
Which Windows update? Mine updated some malicious software removal tool earlier today as it was an important update, but I've got about 6 new "recommended" updates waiting to download/install. I'm also running Kaspersky, so which update broke stuff? and does turning off Kaspersky while updating fix the problem?

I haven't had Steam break on me at least.

Tellenta
April 28 2011, 12:22:34 PM
Which Windows update? Mine updated some malicious software removal tool earlier today as it was an important update, but I've got about 6 new "recommended" updates waiting to download/install. I'm also running Kaspersky, so which update broke stuff? and does turning off Kaspersky while updating fix the problem?

I haven't had Steam break on me at least.

I'm not sure, the updates were installed/downloaded using the windows updater automatically. Queue reboot and Kapersky going in to burn the village mode for everything I tried using and I mean everything. I don't know what caused it but I do know rage uninstalling Kapersky fixed it. It messed up steam by quarantining key files and trying to reinstall steam with kapersky still around (turned off but installed) would kick back a win32 error. Kapersky had no record of performing its actions, and I couldn't find a way to undo it. Uninstalling Kapersky was the only thing that made my computer want to work again.

I really don't know what the fuck tbh.

Ryas Nia
April 28 2011, 03:15:15 PM
had this after doing W7 SP1 on my work computer, had to restore from a backup, then remove SP1 from my winupdate ... Using Antivir so doubt its antivirus related.

killfalcon
April 28 2011, 03:35:40 PM
I got this last night too. :(

Me too, running McAfee. Looks like the update is borked, to be honest.

Seamus
April 28 2011, 03:42:10 PM
Manually updating victor \o/

Sorry though to hear about this, thats a shitty update indeed :S

First PSN hacking now shocking update, gonna go build me a plough and buy a shotgun - its apocolypse time.

Darkening
April 29 2011, 07:47:05 PM
Had it doing the same for about 15mins then it went thru with no problems.

Helen
April 29 2011, 08:53:36 PM
Manually updating victor \o/

Sorry though to hear about this, thats a shitty update indeed :S

First PSN hacking now shocking update, gonna go build me a plough and buy a shotgun - its apocolypse time.

Yes Sony's PSN getting hacked and a shitty update from Microsoft are in the prophecy heralding the End Times.
:nostradamus:

thebomby
April 30 2011, 12:54:10 AM
My mom has this. Just did the SP1 update on my home PC and all was well (Antivir). Will roll my mom's machine back to pre SP1 and see what that does.

Sallah Hernandes
April 30 2011, 07:49:54 PM
The update seemed to work when I manually ran windows update, the automated updates whether scheduled or run during shutdown failed for my machines. The problem occurred on my machines with mcafee enterprise virus-scan and kaspersky IS.

Joe Appleby
May 1 2011, 12:43:48 AM
Yeh, update seems botched, happening with ms security essentials as well. Win7 will realize update is fucked and abort configuration and then try again after another boot. Seems to have worked then though.

ThonEney
May 1 2011, 12:47:30 AM
Worked fine for me, but then again it's pirated :lol:

Aphyd
May 1 2011, 11:16:27 AM
I get a similar thing if the Windows drive isn't set as the boot drive in the BIOS.

Took me about four (30 minute +) installs of SP1 to realise that. :x