PDA

View Full Version : Random reboots

Wrack
April 25 2011, 08:06:22 PM
My computer randomly reboots sometimes. It only seems to happen when it's idle, so I've rarely seen it actually happen right in front of me, but it basically just instantly reboots, as if the reset button has been pushed. It then goes through "do you want windows to start up normally or in safe mode?" and one time it ran Checkdisk, which didn't find anything to fix. I'll finish working on something, go to the bathroom, come back, and it's on the startup login screen.

Specs:
Gigabyte H55M-USB3
Core i3-530
4GB G.Skill DDR3
Sapphire Radeon HD 5670
OCZ Agility 120 GB (OS install)
Samsung F2EG 1.5 TB (just movies and backups)
Antec Earthwatts 380 PSU

My first suspicion is power supply instability, but wouldn't that make it shut down and not reboot? My second suspicion is something to do with the case. The case has two front USB ports, both right next to the reset switch. If I plug anything into the port farther from the reset button, the computer switches off. So something there is getting shorted to the reset button, or maybe the shitty plastic is just deforming and tripping the button. My final theory is that my windows 7 installation is just corrupt, and a reformat might fix it.

Any ideas which of those 3 it could be, how to test it, or any other ideas?

Ryas Nia
April 25 2011, 08:14:41 PM
So first thing remove any USB/Firewire devices and see if that helps any
Second, download and run Memtest86+ for at least an hour and verify your memory is clean
Third, uninstall your GFX card drivers and than reinstall them (yes even if your not playing games all the time)
4th, try a new PSU 380w is on the small side even giving your lower end gfx card.

firefoxx80
April 25 2011, 09:01:00 PM
Overheating?

Try the USB thing when initially turning your PC on in the morning, does it still reset?

Wrack
April 25 2011, 11:38:56 PM
Thanks for the help, guys.

Only things normally connected via USB are a keyboard and mouse, both Logitech, so I suspect no foul play there.
I just ran memtest86 for an hour (>2 passes) and got no errors. When I built the computer, I ran hour+ stress tests with prime95 and furmark and never saw any CPU or GPU temps above 60C or instability whatsoever, so I doubt it's overheating.
I'm about to reformat and reinstall windows entirely (it's about time anyway*), and if the problem returns after that, I'll go for a new PSU.

*: I have some weird glitches, like a few settings that keep reverting after I change them, and some obscure dialog box on startup. I suspect these are symptoms of the random reboots, rather than an indicator of the cause.

Bombcrater
April 26 2011, 01:05:42 AM
My first suspicion is power supply instability, but wouldn't that make it shut down and not reboot? My second suspicion is something to do with the case. The case has two front USB ports, both right next to the reset switch. If I plug anything into the port farther from the reset button, the computer switches off.
Random reboots can certainly be caused by the PSU, but the motherboard is also a possible culprit as a failing PSU usually causes reboots under load rather than at idle. Your USB issue sounds like a short to me - I see two or three machines a week doing that and it's always because the pins in the USB socket are damaged and shorting when something is plugged in.

Helfix
April 26 2011, 03:55:40 AM
Looking at your ram, run memtest, for me it was the g.skill that was the culprit :/

Waagaa
April 26 2011, 02:26:25 PM
How old is the PSU?

Old PSUs lose output and can cause all kinds of grief, including sudden reboots.

Warpath
April 26 2011, 05:16:32 PM
Would also bet on the PSU, had the same problem a couple of years ago when i had a cheapo PSU installed. Was solved when i replaced it with a seasonic.

Wrack
May 1 2011, 12:18:00 AM
Just as an update, so far no reboots for 1 week after reinstalling windows. :guinness:

Edit: >1 month, no reboots. Not having to buy anything = :obama: