PDA

View Full Version : Half the Sky (a documentary on third world female inequality)

AmaNutin
October 2 2012, 04:52:08 AM
Half the Sky (official website) (http://www.halftheskymovement.org/)

This documentary is about things such as Cambodia's sex trafficking, Sierra Leone's underage sexual assaults, and the blind eye turned toward it by the law in those countries.

Tens of thousands of girls and young women are victims in these parts of the world.

Why do you think this topic isn't broached more in the international news?

(also, a valid reason why public television does deserve government support for bringing this up)

Sponk
October 2 2012, 06:45:24 AM
Does it also have the acid attacks against women in India? That sees a fair bit of air play here.

Paradox
October 2 2012, 06:51:31 AM
TV doesn't talk about it in America because most Americans don't think anywhere else in the world is relevant to them.

TV doesn't talk about it in Europe because Most Europeans have other things to care about right now, debt crises and economic ballache for example.

Would expect a bit more coverage in Oz and NZ because they live pretty close to East Asia.

Americans would never accept a government run TV channel. Most Americans I've met have been horrified at the idea that if I want to watch TV in my country I have to pay for a license to watch it. I pay for it gladly (or I would if I watched TV) because the BBC is mostly fair and unbiased and a good source of both news and entertainment.

Internet's better though.

Crystalline Entity
October 2 2012, 09:19:25 AM
In the UK I have noticed the 24 hr BBC news bulletins hardly change throughout the day. I watched a bulletin once at 1pm and then the 10pm news later that night, no difference at all, same stories and reports 9 hours later.

However, Al Jazera News Hour is many times better, you learn so much stuff on there it is unreal! (of course there is bias lolsaudis) but if there is a place this sort of stuff would be reported, it would be on there.

But on topic, it is sad that women are subjugated in some of these more more backwards/less developed countries. But until ideology and attitudes change then that is the way things will continue to be.

Smuggo
October 2 2012, 09:28:42 AM
The BBC is kinda shitty these days TBH. Since the Dr David Kelly thing it has become a bit nervous of criticising the government. Also its entertainment lineup is dire. I'm still glad we have it though, still some great programmes and it also helps hold the other channels to some higher standard as well. Far better than the shite I saw when in the states.

BBC News is shit though, I'd echo the above that Al Jazera is much better, especially for international news. It also has a lot more proper investigative journalism covering these kinds of issues. The BBC has Panorama but it's fucking terrible these days. Dispatches on C4 is also usually pretty bad now.

Crystalline Entity
October 2 2012, 09:37:02 AM
Continuing from Smuggo above

The two investigations on Al Jazera ive been extremely impressed with were called 'the 9/11 Decade' - this charted american foreign policy and intervention since 9/11 and was really interesting to watch. And one called 'Meltdown' which charted the immediate months after the financial crash and the world response too it, also very interesting. BBC.. panorma.. pretty meh...

Sacul
October 2 2012, 04:29:52 PM
In the UK I have noticed the 24 hr BBC news bulletins hardly change throughout the day. I watched a bulletin once at 1pm and then the 10pm news later that night, no difference at all, same stories and reports 9 hours later.

However, Al Jazera News Hour is many times better, you learn so much stuff on there it is unreal! (of course there is bias lolsaudis) but if there is a place this sort of stuff would be reported, it would be on there.

But on topic, it is sad that women are subjugated in some of these more more backwards/less developed countries. But until ideology and attitudes change then that is the way things will continue to be.

There has been a study from some scholar in the UK iirc about 2 weeks ago where he counted original news for x time. Turns out that according to him just 12% of news is original, the rest is regurgitated. That includes reuter news etc. Some Dutch guy did the same and he came to 15%.

Google fu is weak atm but im sure its easy to find quickly

Cool09
October 12 2012, 03:14:31 PM
Was at the London Olympics this year... BBC coverage was just "TEAM GB TEAM GB TEAM GB" and outright insulted other countries' atheletes. For eg. when the German favourite for something placed poorly they commented "this girl has been the biggest dissapointment of the night." Whereas the TEAM GB TEAM GB TEAM GB atheletes who placed poorly were "amazing atheletes who are inspirations to us all" ect ect ect.

My point is that the BBC isn't unpartial at all. I guess Olympic coverage doesn't really matter though :/

BACK ON TOPIC:

Yesterday was the "day of the girl" or something... seems it actually raised awareness for some of my friends who had no idea girls were being shot in some parts of the world for simply trying to attend school.

Shiroi Okami
October 15 2012, 01:04:48 PM
TV doesn't talk about it in America because most Americans don't think anywhere else in the world is relevant to them.

TV doesn't talk about it in Europe because Most Europeans have other things to care about right now, debt crises and economic ballache for example.

Would expect a bit more coverage in Oz and NZ because they live pretty close to East Asia.

Americans would never accept a government run TV channel. Most Americans I've met have been horrified at the idea that if I want to watch TV in my country I have to pay for a license to watch it. I pay for it gladly (or I would if I watched TV) because the BBC is mostly fair and unbiased and a good source of both news and entertainment.

Internet's better though.

It comes up from time to time in aus, particularly atm this pakistani girl who got shot for being a female rights activist is all over the news.

That said, TV licensing is dumb as dog shit and I never once paid for my TV all the years I lived in Ireland

lt
October 15 2012, 02:04:44 PM
Was at the London Olympics this year... BBC coverage was just "TEAM GB TEAM GB TEAM GB" and outright insulted other countries' atheletes. For eg. when the German favourite for something placed poorly they commented "this girl has been the biggest dissapointment of the night." Whereas the TEAM GB TEAM GB TEAM GB atheletes who placed poorly were "amazing atheletes who are inspirations to us all" ect ect ect.

My point is that the BBC isn't unpartial at all. I guess Olympic coverage doesn't really matter though :/

BACK ON TOPIC:

Yesterday was the "day of the girl" or something... seems it actually raised awareness for some of my friends who had no idea girls were being shot in some parts of the world for simply trying to attend school.

Sports are different mate.