PDA

View Full Version : Dust to be bundled with PS3 Slim 2.0

Nu11u5
September 19 2012, 05:54:25 AM
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/18/tgs-2012-smaller-lighter-ps3-model-unveiled/

The 250GB PS3 will be available on September 25th for $269.99 (MSRP) as part of a limited edition bundle featuring UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception: Game of the Year Edition and a voucher for more than $30 worth of bonus digital content for the highly acclaimed digital title, DUST 514. This bundle offers more than $70 in total combined value.

The 500GB model will only be bundled with Assassin's Creed 3.

LordsServant
September 19 2012, 07:43:19 AM
20% Smaller huh?

Sounds like it's 20% cooler then. :razor:

Smuggo
September 19 2012, 09:57:42 AM
Why are these ancient tech consoles still so fucking expensive?

Durzel
September 19 2012, 11:59:39 AM
I guess it's because a new manufacturing process and miniaturisation in general means higher costs? Don't really know why Sony needs to shrink the PS3 any more though v0v.

whispous
September 19 2012, 12:03:40 PM
The ps3 costs so much still because there is no ps4 yet.

Nu11u5
September 19 2012, 12:43:23 PM

Because it was even more expensive originally. Sony decided to throw expensive and over-engineered hardware at the PS3 to woo developers and customers, sell the consoles at a huge loss, and make up the difference in game and service sales. That backfired when developers found it harder to program for than competing consoles, especially in a time when cross-platform releases were the new trend (and continue to be), and games never got to take full advantage of the PS3's hardware.

The Slim and Slim 2.0 are the first profitable PS3 console - every design up to then was sold at a loss (even the original that was $100 more). The redesign lets them squeeze a little more money out of the market and refreshes their shelf presence. Will it work again this time - I've got no idea, but I already have a PS3.

Also keep in mind that this goes on sale next week. I'm wondering how this affects the schedule for the new update and whether we will see it by then.

Lallante
September 19 2012, 01:24:31 PM
So wait, from next week, PS3s are being sold with Dust514 preinstalled? Wont a LOT of people buying those not really appreciate its still in Beta and be REALLY disappointed?

Nu11u5
September 19 2012, 01:51:39 PM
It sounds like you are only getting a code for a special Merc Pack. It won't be preinstalled but you'll get access to the beta download when you redeem it.

Alundil
September 19 2012, 01:58:47 PM
But for people without a PS3 (like myself) this would be very nice.

Sent via highly charged bolt of electricity.

Nu11u5
September 19 2012, 02:08:19 PM
Plus, the next update is sounding like it will improve the game hugely, so exposing new adopters to that instead of the current version might be a priority to CCP and Sony.

erichkknaar
September 19 2012, 04:43:09 PM

Because it was even more expensive originally. Sony decided to throw expensive and over-engineered hardware at the PS3 to win the blueray war

FTFY.

Nu11u5
September 19 2012, 05:19:58 PM
I'm curious to see early PS3 sales versus Bluray player sales then. I have no idea how much of an impact it had.

Durzel
September 19 2012, 10:07:38 PM
There's no doubt it won the high-def war for them.

Sony's decision to incorporate a Blu-ray Disc player as a standard feature of the PlayStation 3 video game console also helped ensure the format's eventual triumph.[40] By the time Toshiba ceded the market, about 10.5 million of the Sony consoles had been sold worldwide versus an estimated 1 million HD DVD players – including both standalone units and the add-on player for Microsoft's Xbox 360 console, which did not use the HD DVD add-on for gaming unlike the PS3 which had games that used the Blu-ray's added storage capacity. This equipment gap was a factor in Blu-ray titles (including the ones bundled with the PS3) outselling their HD DVD counterparts two to one in the United States and three or four to one in Europe.

Sony's strategy came at a cost. The company initially priced the PlayStation 3 at $599, roughly double the price of the PlayStation 2 and substantially higher than competing consoles. Despite this, the PS3 nonetheless sold at an estimated loss of more than US$200 per unit, resulting in losses estimated at about $3 billion. But analysts, such as Richard Cooper with Screen Digest, expect Sony to recoup far more than that, through the sale of games on the system
Clever move really, Sony will have made more in licensing, etc from getting Bluray on top than they lost selling PS3s which - as you say - are typically sold as a loss-leader anyway.

Al Simmons
September 20 2012, 03:33:34 PM
There's no doubt it won the high-def war for them.

Sony's decision to incorporate a Blu-ray Disc player as a standard feature of the PlayStation 3 video game console also helped ensure the format's eventual triumph.[40] By the time Toshiba ceded the market, about 10.5 million of the Sony consoles had been sold worldwide versus an estimated 1 million HD DVD players – including both standalone units and the add-on player for Microsoft's Xbox 360 console, which did not use the HD DVD add-on for gaming unlike the PS3 which had games that used the Blu-ray's added storage capacity. This equipment gap was a factor in Blu-ray titles (including the ones bundled with the PS3) outselling their HD DVD counterparts two to one in the United States and three or four to one in Europe.

Sony's strategy came at a cost. The company initially priced the PlayStation 3 at $599, roughly double the price of the PlayStation 2 and substantially higher than competing consoles. Despite this, the PS3 nonetheless sold at an estimated loss of more than US$200 per unit, resulting in losses estimated at about $3 billion. But analysts, such as Richard Cooper with Screen Digest, expect Sony to recoup far more than that, through the sale of games on the system
Clever move really, Sony will have made more in licensing, etc from getting Bluray on top than they lost selling PS3s which - as you say - are typically sold as a loss-leader anyway.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8626414/ps3%20has%20no%20games.jpg

:lol:

Nu11u5
September 20 2012, 04:19:59 PM
I missed out on ME1, other than that there are no non-PS3 console games I've really wanted.

On the other hand, there are several PS3 exclusives that gave me the reason to buy it in the first place.

The PS3 gets a lot of flack for having a smaller library and losing BC, and the 'security issue' with PSN (seriously, some people are still making a bigger deal out of this than banking hacks and evoting fraud). I still think it's a worthwhile console with just as many 'quality' games and services as any other.

Omega Supreme
September 20 2012, 05:18:01 PM
I missed out on ME1, other than that there are no non-PS3 console games I've really wanted.

On the other hand, there are several PS3 exclusives that gave me the reason to buy it in the first place.

The PS3 gets a lot of flack for having a smaller library and losing BC, and the 'security issue' with PSN (seriously, some people are still making a bigger deal out of this than banking hacks and evoting fraud). I still think it's a worthwhile console with just as many 'quality' games and services as any other.

Gamestop and others frequently refurbish older model PS3s that supported backwards compatibility. While it's true newer model ones (I don't know if the 250GB does or not) often don't support it, just should buy an older model for BC. Hate that argument.

Does the 360 support BC?

Zumwalt
September 20 2012, 05:22:53 PM
Consoles often cause the selling company to take a loss. Xbox used to cost Microsoft, but they knew they would make the money back on games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nu11u5
September 20 2012, 05:51:58 PM
MS made sure the 360 was BC with all of their best selling XBox titles, and I believe they still are.

The first gen PS3 had full hardware BC. The second gen only had software emulation BC. Later models, including all Slims, had no BC.

The question is will the PS4 be BC with PS3 games. I'm a late adopter and would like the option of just upgrading if my hardware ever fails. But it's unlikely considering the huge architecture differences. (Will it even have a disc drive?) Games like Dust will have to be rebuilt for the new platform.

Rakshasa The Cat
September 20 2012, 06:50:51 PM
Tokyo Game Show...

Been there, and unless I get a chance to hump some CCP dev's leg it's not worth it. Anyone know if they're there?

Nu11u5
September 20 2012, 06:58:13 PM
http://www.dust514.com/community/news/2012/09/ccp-heads-to-the-tokyo-game-show/

Rakshasa The Cat
September 20 2012, 07:21:38 PM
http://www.dust514.com/community/news/2012/09/ccp-heads-to-the-tokyo-game-show/

Been there once before, didn't see that much dev presence so asking on dust forums.

Basically it's somewhat boring with huge queues for a chance to play anything, so unless I can dry hump a dev it's not worth it.

Mike deVoid
September 20 2012, 07:39:02 PM
PS4 won't have backwards compatibility; I remember reading.

Nu11u5
September 20 2012, 08:46:57 PM
PS4 won't have backwards compatibility; I remember reading.
Expected. :(

It's one thing to emulate a single core x86 (XBox) on a 3 core PPC several gens later (XBox 360), and a whole other (practically impossible) task to emulate an asymmetrical 7 core PPC on a quad core x64 (assumed for PS4). The Cell processor is weird.