PDA

View Full Version : Rules etc

Sofia Roseburn
July 23 2012, 06:47:32 PM
So lets be clear here, this isn't General Chat. You're held to a higher quality of posting if you want to retain access to this place.

Currently you can apply to the group by going to Settings > Permission Groups. It should be clear which one you should be applying for. From there, I'll be looking at your posting history and considering whether it's worth letting you in. If you've got an issue with that well...sorry, but that's the way it is for the moment. I'll also be moderating here in particular, so send me a PM if you have any issues with posts in this subsection.

Depressing stuff aside, hopefully we'll actually be able to have some decent debates without all of the shitposting. I know the gun control debate tanked in General, and there were several things that contributed to both those threads demises. If all goes according to plan we shouldn't run into any sort of issues here.

Happy posting.

whispous
July 23 2012, 06:51:12 PM
Just to clarify sofia, this subforum is for political and world issue discussion, right? What should be posted here?

Sofia Roseburn
July 23 2012, 06:58:42 PM
Yes.

Drakma
July 23 2012, 09:09:57 PM
I hereby solemnly swear to abide by the rules and regulations as laid out by the moderator and administrators of this subforum.

By placing my signature below I am affirming my acceptance of these rules and regulations.

http://onebit.us/signature.png

Ralara
July 24 2012, 09:09:27 AM
Are there any topics that are "off limits" ?

lt
July 24 2012, 09:17:57 AM
Are there any topics that are "off limits" ?

Moderation.

Roam
July 24 2012, 04:29:54 PM
I would like to request a joking (deadly serious) rule that gives an instant 24-hour ban for an applied Godwin in this subforum.

Ophichius
July 24 2012, 04:33:30 PM
I would like to request a joking (deadly serious) rule that gives an instant 24-hour ban for an applied Godwin in this subforum.

Except that of all the subforums, this is the one that's most likely to actually have a relevant and on-topic discussion involving that subject.

-O

Roam
July 24 2012, 04:44:31 PM

Except that of all the subforums, this is the one that's most likely to actually have a relevant and on-topic discussion involving that subject.

-O

You know who also said that?

Hi-.... *Has access removed*

whispous
July 24 2012, 04:58:08 PM
user was gassed for this post

Lorkin Desal
July 25 2012, 08:39:15 PM
Would it be useful to have a sticky thread listing serious business members specialities/degrees etc?

Ophichius
July 25 2012, 08:58:33 PM
Would it be useful to have a sticky thread listing serious business members specialities/degrees etc?

I don't think so. This isn't the 'experts subforum', but the serious discussion forum. Anyone can have a serious discussion, regardless of expertise.

-O

NoirAvlaa
July 25 2012, 10:42:46 PM

I don't think so. This isn't the 'experts subforum', but the serious discussion forum. Anyone can have a serious discussion, regardless of expertise.

-O

I generally count an expert's opinion more than anyone else's opinion as they're the people who have spent the time, effort and a lot of money learning about specific subjects. In my opinion the general public (myself included) don't know enough about these things and should definitely try and use experts to try and gain an understanding. (I know there are exceptions to this, but overall I trust an expert on law to tell me about law over someone who's read a few books and articles online)

Marlona Sky
July 25 2012, 11:49:12 PM

And who is going to verify these? So even if you are providing an educated and compelling argument and you don't have that eHarvard Degree nailed on the FHC 'love me' wall; other posters would declair you argument invalid.

Roam
July 26 2012, 12:36:47 AM
I'd rather this subforum didn't turn into "Appeal to authority" logical fallacy sub forum. Let's debate on stuff without maintaining a list on who is supposedly an authority on what.

Reed Tiburon
July 26 2012, 04:23:12 AM

-O

I generally count an expert's opinion more than anyone else's opinion as they're the people who have spent the time, effort and a lot of money learning about specific subjects. In my opinion the general public (myself included) don't know enough about these things and should definitely try and use experts to try and gain an understanding. (I know there are exceptions to this, but overall I trust an expert on law to tell me about law over someone who's read a few books and articles online)

This kind of thing should be self-evident if you read their posts. That and general posting history.

Hel OWeen
July 26 2012, 04:12:43 PM

-O

This kind of thing should be self-evident if you read their posts. That and general posting history.

Well, with mature discussion participants, there should be no need to verify the expertise. A mature person, interested in a serious discussion, should have no problem stating something like "I'm no expert on that matter ...".

Besides - the personal opinions and why people have developed them are often more interesting than the facts presented. They're an convenient side effect to me and for sure necessary. But the "real meat" is when given fact A and B and therefore opinion A and B, why did you choose A and I B? How comes that you and I weight A and B differently? Is this due to more/other facts? Or does culture/region/childhood/<whatever> makes the difference.

Lorkin Desal
July 26 2012, 09:34:20 PM
All excellent points.

Kanv
August 12 2012, 12:42:33 AM
Should people who are banned from posting be able to see the subforum? Otherwise rep shenanigans will occur.

SAI Peregrinus
August 12 2012, 12:46:48 PM
Should people who are banned from posting be able to see the subforum? Otherwise rep shenanigans will occur.

If possible it would be better to just disable rep changes for posts in the subforum.

Zeekar
August 12 2012, 02:30:03 PM

If possible it would be better to just disable rep changes for posts in the subforum.

Would make Frug go mental if you go by the circumcision thread.

Kanv
August 12 2012, 09:42:40 PM

I wouldn't put it past people to neg peoples other posts instead

whispous
August 12 2012, 09:43:29 PM

deal with it, rep isn't everything.

Postcount is.

Aramendel
August 13 2012, 08:43:32 AM

Postcount is.

+1

errr... anyway, rep shenanigans also tend to backfire.

Varcaus
September 2 2012, 12:13:48 AM

Postcount is.

Nope and Nope

spasm
September 14 2012, 03:37:40 AM
Howdy folks, things will pretty much remain the same from the way Sofia moderated. Your opinions are you own to defend, it's not my job to judge them. But if you're just taking the piss with it I will deal with you.

Remain civil and intelligible and we'll have no problems. I will be giving pretty much anyone who applies permission, if you're a bad poster in general and want to continue it here I will remove your permission.

Fuggin
September 14 2012, 12:25:49 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/508/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Good luck Spasm.. ;)

Sofia Roseburn
November 2 2012, 05:03:53 PM
Season 2 starts today.

There's been an access prune. Deal with it nerds.

Lallante
November 2 2012, 05:24:01 PM
test

edit: ITS A FUCKING MIRACLE I CAN STILL POST.

I'll be better poster in future I promise

Sofia Roseburn
November 2 2012, 05:24:46 PM
You'd fucking better be.

Steph
November 2 2012, 06:22:12 PM
And a new era of terrible quality posting began on FHC.