PDA

View Full Version : Xbox360 repair

Liare
April 21 2011, 04:22:48 PM
ello, i am the (un)happy owner of a 360 console, that is the white one with a 20gb addon drive, now i havent used it in a fair bit of time and thus lend it to my brother, after a recent move the damn thing is displaying the arch classical Red Ring of Doom, that is to say 3 out of 4 LED's light up.

anyway, its broken that much is obvious, its also out of warranty (one year past, to the date, oh the irony) and i really cannot be bothered to deal with Microsoft's repair circus again (5 weeks last time it did this!, and this would be the third time its in for repair)

anyway, what i am wondering is if any of you good people have any real hand's on experience with fixing this ? rumor has it you can resolve it by cracking the case ,reapply thermal paste and reseat the heatsinks, but im pretty much ready to give up at this stage anyway.

filingo
April 21 2011, 04:33:30 PM
piss on it

Lorkin Desal
April 21 2011, 05:01:11 PM
think you can post it back to microfail who will fix it for you. dont know how much this costs.

Dark Flare
April 21 2011, 05:18:11 PM
think you can post it back to microfail who will fix it for you. dont know how much this costs.

Did you even read his post.

Liare
April 21 2011, 07:54:33 PM
[quote="Lorkin Desal":3aaxsged]think you can post it back to microfail who will fix it for you. dont know how much this costs.

Did you even read his post.[/quote:3aaxsged]i doubt it.

Straight Hustlin
April 21 2011, 08:17:31 PM
My friend gave me a good tip to try before you go through the trouble of cracking the case. Wrap the xbox in a towel or blanket and turn it on for a half hour or so to warm it up. Once its hot, restart it and see if it turns on properly. If it works, then the heat sinks just need to be reseated. If it doesn't work then it could be something else, such as mine where the disk drive fubard.

EDIT: to crack the the actual case itself you will need either a torx head(t15 i think) or a triple square driver.

mjukis
April 21 2011, 08:26:15 PM
I think Microsoft has en extended warranty for the RROD. Call and ask. The towel trick works by remelting some solder I think, but it's only temporary.

Straight Hustlin
April 21 2011, 08:49:26 PM
I didnt mean it would fix it, but would give you a better idea whether it's the heatsink or not

Liare
April 21 2011, 09:16:39 PM
I didnt mean it would fix it, but would give you a better idea whether it's the heatsink or notexcept it only applies to cold solder joints and not heatsink issues.

yea, its a early model and the warranty expired a year ago Mjukis :)

i suspect its a miracle it has survived this long without shitting itself given the product quality issues these things had.

Raine Woot
April 22 2011, 12:10:11 AM
I tried the towel trick on mine. It didn't work, and when I opened it up (which is all kinds of fun without the special tool) I found that the thermal paste had melted and run all over the mobo around the cpu. Digging out what I could, cleaning and reseating the heatsink with new paste made it work for all of 2 mins, then it breathed its last. I'm a patient person, but I've never thrown something into a trash bin so hard ever before or since.