PDA

View Full Version : Operation Flashpoint: Red River

Mr Marram
April 21 2011, 12:22:46 PM
Anyone got this and can compare it to previous flashpoints ?
Obviously the original is king and we all want to ignore the second one.

I guess ARMA and ARMA 2 are spiritual successors and so this will be like them.
Screenies look pretty sexy, although reminds me alot of newest MoH.

RazoR
April 21 2011, 12:28:49 PM
I guess ARMA and ARMA 2 are spiritual successors and so this will be like them.What?

Cyril, what?!

*headshot*

Also this ought to be shit.

Jalif
April 21 2011, 01:12:34 PM
Predicting Fail like the previous one. Codemasters screw the game up badly.

Always better of with ArmA.

friznit
April 21 2011, 05:36:52 PM
RIP Operation Flashpoint. Curse you Codemasters for cashing in on a great game by tricking foolish punters into thinking they were getting more Bohemia Interactive goodness, but instead fobbing them off with half baked console shit.

ArmA2 is the Bohemia offering and is infinitely better in every way. Apart from the interface, which is godawful, but then the ACE2 mod helps a lot there.

TZeer
April 21 2011, 06:23:51 PM
As mentioned earlier.

Codemasters and Bohemia Interactive went their own ways after the first batch of Operation Flashpoint games/addons.

But Codemasters owned the Operation Flashpoint brand, and Bohemia had to find another name, ArmA and Arma2.

Codemasters last attempt trying to cash in on the Operation Flashpoint name, ended with a lolconsole shitgame.

Dregek
April 21 2011, 07:11:00 PM
wasnt it codemasters got the name & bohemia got the tech?

Fachiri
April 21 2011, 07:54:11 PM
wasnt it codemasters got the name & bohemia got the tech?

Yes.

untilted
April 21 2011, 07:55:51 PM
regarding dragon rising being a lolconsole game - to which games are you comparing it? to the original OFP or to PC-shooters like BF?

Cool09
April 21 2011, 08:57:08 PM
Confirming Dragon Rising was shit. Rant incoming.

For those curious:

They somehow gutted the good things in the original and made the game more or less on rails. Instead of the signature sandbox style, they made it linear with smoke and mirrors giving a poor illusion that the world is actually open. Enemies only spawn along your pre-determined path, and only when you get close. Instead of operating in cohesive units, they are more or less just sprinkled through each level. Sometimes allies are just markings on your map, not really in the game world. Also, ZERO vehicle missions. In the original you got to do tank commander missions, deploy from helicopters, ride in APC's, ect ect. In Dragon Rising you just run around for a few hours as the same character shooting chinese that randomly show up randomly in bushes you walk past. Overall the single player was a waste of time.

Compared to the original with many square kilometres of open world to use, its night and day. Sure some missions in OF had you playing the part of an element of a larger force, thus you had to follow orders. Many missions were completely open though. The map editor was great, much fun was had doing online co-op or versus on custom maps.

I tried to write a thing about the Dragon Rising multiplayer, but I stopped. It was just too shit. Everything you can think of that could be shit was shit. Dumb maps, dumb game modes, unplayable lag, dumb lobby system, dumb spawn system, everything was terrible. They honestly couldn't of gone more wrong. Its like they had some amateur programmers bang it out over a weekend and just ship it "feature complete."

PHEW DEEP BREATHS. Each time I am reminded of this game some deep down rage boils up and compels me to rant about it. Operation Flashpoint was one of the favorite games. So yes I mad.

Sandzibar
April 23 2011, 07:14:37 PM
PHEW DEEP BREATHS. Each time I am reminded of this game some deep down rage boils up and compels me to rant about it. Operation Flashpoint was one of the favorite games. So yes I mad.

Its ok.. Arma 2 is effectively OFP 2.5 ie so similar to the original (even down to some the terrible things the original engine had wrong with it) OFP, but with some nice new bells and whistles. And the OFP community.. which is part of the best bit anyway.

Frools
April 23 2011, 07:28:29 PM
i actually kinda enjoyed blasting through the SP in dragon rising, it wasnt great but it was ok
red river is terribad tho, i ragequit 10mins into the first mission

RazoR
April 23 2011, 08:14:28 PM
It didn't even start. Pirated ofc but this is not the case. GFWL is.

Watching Castle instead, good times.

Mr Marram
April 23 2011, 10:25:40 PM
[quote="RazoR"GFWL is.[/quote]

Really ....

And developers/producers claim PC gaming is going to shit because of piracy.

RazoR
April 24 2011, 02:55:59 AM
PC gaming is going to shit because of half-baked buggy copycats coupled with gfwl/drm/steam covered in hype.

Pirates often provide a better product so i can't blame them. Or myself.

Hast
April 24 2011, 07:20:12 AM
pretty sure that the fact that the river is Red is a bug.

CastleBravo
April 24 2011, 03:45:58 PM
I just played through the original campaign again; it is still a fucking awesome game.

Namoo
April 24 2011, 03:48:50 PM
Im waiting to upgrade my computer with a new graphics card in the summer before im going to play through ArmA2 and Operation Arrowhead. Such an amazing game with all the shinies turned up. Beats the new Operation Fagpoint in damn near every respect although its a shame it ended up being a poor console cash in. Would've been nice to have a competitor to ArmA.

TZeer
April 24 2011, 04:27:16 PM
Anyone know if they fixed the bug in the SP campaign mission called Manhatten?

Pretty awesome mission, where you basically had a firebase where you could rearm, refuel etc.

You objectives was to seek out and destroy militia camps, and recon the area, trying to find out the where the militia base was located.

During that mission, you had the opportunity to call in artillery strikes, but for some reason it always bugged out after the first request, and the option to call in artillery strike went poooof.

Leviathan
April 24 2011, 09:48:17 PM
soldat sequel?

Mr Marram
April 25 2011, 01:42:52 AM
soldat sequel?

Wasnt soldat the 2D sidescrolling shooter kinda like worms but not turn based.
Used to have a blast playing that on school networks 8-)

Namoo
April 25 2011, 01:52:40 AM
soldat sequel?

I thought it was the third person shooter with some quite hilarious bugs like bumping into a house while running would cause the house to explode.

sarabando
April 25 2011, 02:11:13 AM
soldat sequel?

I thought it was the third person shooter with some quite hilarious bugs like bumping into a house while running would cause the house to explode.
thats the one XD dive through a window and the house goes up

Seamus
April 25 2011, 02:16:45 AM
So I just bought Arma, and been playing through the tutorials...

The guy u are in it, Cooper, has the exact voice of female Bender from this episode right here (http://www.watch-futurama-online.com/Watch_Futurama_Online_Season_5_Episode_13_Bend_Her .html)

Un-fucking-canny.

sarabando
April 26 2011, 06:23:59 PM
been playing this ans sofar the AI is lacking in the I part drastically and the weapons are unbelievably inaccurate

RazoR
April 26 2011, 06:29:20 PM
Anyone know if they fixed the bug in the SP campaign mission called Manhatten?I got rid of this bug by buying the damn game :psyduck: Or not?

What was the bug again?

Mi Lai
April 29 2011, 02:15:47 PM
Any of those soldier games come in with a mission editor like the original OFP? Ideally one that is a bit more user-friendly.
I think I spend more or about the same time building co-op missions then I did playing :) .

Had great fun in trying to make a pilot rescue mission, though it was a bitch to get all the things working properly (let the pilot pop a flare when the rescue chopper gets close, have him join the team when you get close, have the choppers working (take off, fly to suspected area, land, take off again, etc.), insert the movies and triggers for all stuff, etc.).

TZeer
April 29 2011, 02:55:00 PM
Anyone know if they fixed the bug in the SP campaign mission called Manhatten?I got rid of this bug by buying the damn game :psyduck: Or not?

What was the bug again?

After you called in artillery strike, the option simply disappeared. I think you also lost the option if you saved the game and loaded it up later.

Fucking gay!

Cool thing with that map, was that you basically could solve you missions the way you wanted.

You had chopper, that you could call in and do extraction.
UAV you could request.
Artillery you could call in (If it would fucking work)
And if you ran out of ammo, you could always go back to the base, rearm, change weapons and head back out again.

sarabando
April 29 2011, 08:00:48 PM
Any of those soldier games come in with a mission editor like the original OFP? Ideally one that is a bit more user-friendly.
I think I spend more or about the same time building co-op missions then I did playing :) .

Had great fun in trying to make a pilot rescue mission, though it was a bitch to get all the things working properly (let the pilot pop a flare when the rescue chopper gets close, have him join the team when you get close, have the choppers working (take off, fly to suspected area, land, take off again, etc.), insert the movies and triggers for all stuff, etc.).
ARMA 2 same damn editor XD

spm1138
May 3 2011, 09:24:05 AM
I nearly impulse bought this but luckily I read the PC Gamer review in time. Don't know why Codemasters even bother porting this to PC.

Any of those soldier games come in with a mission editor like the original OFP?

OFP2 does have an editor.

It's nowhere near as easy to use/good as the Bohemia one though.

Also the Bohemia one has this huge community churning out cool stuff for it.

You can probably get community made add-ons and scripts for half of the stuff you want to do in your mission for example.

Mi Lai
May 3 2011, 02:53:26 PM
Sounds interesting, should pick this one up and recreate Abottabad mission :P.