PDA

View Full Version : $20 Dust 514 prelaunch bundle

Mike deVoid
June 26 2012, 12:07:09 AM
http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/25/dust-514-mercenary-pack/

Developer CCP Games outlined today the contents of a prelaunch bundle for its upcoming free-to-play PlayStation 3 shooter Dust 514.

Entitled the Mercenary Pack, the grab bag of gear has weapons, armor, and temporary boosts to skill-point gain and melee damage. It also carries a starter purse of Aurum, the currency used for purchases within Dustís in-game store. The pack costs $20 and releases June 26 on the PlayStation Network, which is two days ahead of Dustís first planned open beta weekend event on June 28.

Varcaus
June 26 2012, 01:44:11 AM
http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/25/dust-514-mercenary-pack/

Developer CCP Games outlined today the contents of a prelaunch bundle for its upcoming free-to-play PlayStation 3 shooter Dust 514.

Entitled the Mercenary Pack, the grab bag of gear has weapons, armor, and temporary boosts to skill-point gain and melee damage. It also carries a starter purse of Aurum, the currency used for purchases within Dust’s in-game store. The pack costs $20 and releases June 26 on the PlayStation Network, which is two days ahead of Dust’s first planned open beta weekend event on June 28.

Welp

Sponk
June 26 2012, 02:20:19 AM
Welp

The passive skill booster runs out after 7 days (see this screenshot (http://i.imgur.com/qpEU5.jpg) from gamespot video)

Everything else is probably like the CCP Christmas gifts: you get a finite amount of items.

And I don't see why you're cut up about a melee damage mod, since the screenshot already shows there's versions of gyrostabs for 'light damage' so a melee damage mod is likely to be along similar lines for backstab fits.

(unless I'm wrong)

prometheus
June 26 2012, 02:28:10 AM
it's a midslot item "1.5dn Myofibril Stimulant", not a big deal since you can buy these (there's even a militia variant)

Varcaus
June 26 2012, 02:43:24 AM
Well nvm thats much better than I feared

Cosmin
June 26 2012, 06:28:39 PM
There it is (http://www.dust514.com/mercpack/).

This is actually sad. Wonder how many will buy beta stuff that isn't certain will make it in the final version because of :psyccp:

LE: derped

Lastly, any Aurum spent during the beta automatically refunds to the player’s wallet before launch.
So it might be possible to buy :stuff: and use all the Aurum and then the Aurum is refunded and the :stuff: remains? Confused.

Mike deVoid
June 26 2012, 06:58:26 PM
It means that you can try out all sorts of aurum gear during beta and get all the AUR back after every reset. There will be a final reset befor release. Makes sense to test popularity, power, etc, no?

Nu11u5
June 26 2012, 07:01:35 PM
That looks like a really good deal. $20 for $20 worth of Aurum plus stuff including a 30-day booster.

I'm not sure what it means by the Dropsuit and the Submachine Gun being permanent. Are they BPOs and will they persist after Beta concludes? Or is it just to have fun with in the mean time, and you only get to keep the $20 worth or Aurum (refunded at release) that you really paid for?

Cosmin
June 26 2012, 07:24:29 PM
It means that you can try out all sorts of aurum gear during beta and get all the AUR back after every reset. There will be a final reset befor release. Makes sense to test popularity, power, etc, no?

I'm not completely retarded, but "reset" means that gear is lost as well, right? :)

Same question about the Dropsuit/SMG being permanent. Would be really hilarious if those were the civilian modules of Dust and they would be permanent in terms of the game spamming you with them everytime you get killed ^.^

Mike deVoid
June 26 2012, 09:34:48 PM
Sorry, I thought you had asked a different question at first and then went back to edit.

Also, official blog on this now. Apparently worth $50?

http://www.dust514.com/mercpack/

Mike deVoid
June 26 2012, 09:38:13 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure that every one that gets given a beta code gets 'all access' despite this pack implying you get more access.

Nu11u5
June 26 2012, 09:39:35 PM
Its all fuzzy numbers for worth. They are probably wanting to compare this to a retail box for the game and pulled out $50.

Can you buy it more than once?

Also, I'm pretty sure that every one that gets given a beta code gets 'all access' despite this pack implying you get more access.

This was confirmed by a devpost. Current beta players have the same access as people who buy the pack and will not lose it, or otherwise be treated separately.

Zoidberg
June 27 2012, 12:04:11 AM
I hope these "permanent" items are the equivalent of EVE rookie ships in strength and practicality.

Mike deVoid
June 27 2012, 12:18:49 AM
Perhaps someone can confirm the tier they come from? (Assuming they aren't unique items)

Sponk
June 27 2012, 12:20:42 AM
I hope these "permanent" items are the equivalent of EVE rookie ships in strength and practicality.

More like an unlimited supply of Slashers.

Zoidberg
June 27 2012, 12:56:51 AM

More like an unlimited supply of Slashers.
Not that items of that strength really affect the game, but that is kind of odd that even something like a Slasher would be offered in an unlimited supply. I hope that's not a precedent for Aurum items.

Nordstern
June 27 2012, 12:57:20 AM
Call of DUST514field Premium Edition

Nu11u5
June 27 2012, 01:50:29 AM
The servers came up early this week and I haven't seen anyone with this gear yet. No way to compare specs without owning it.

Cosmin
June 27 2012, 09:35:09 AM
Its all fuzzy numbers for worth. They are probably wanting to compare this to a retail box for the game and pulled out $50.

More like a Collector's Edition without all the physical stuff that actually costs money -.-

Lallante
June 27 2012, 10:26:03 AM
This seems like a pretty good idea from CCP. Its also good timing - the diehardest of diehard fans got in for free and so don't feel exploited, now the second tier can pay (for what looks like a very reasonably priced pack) and finally the third "free" tier can come in at "release"

Whats particularly clever is this is jsut a rebranding of their original "20$ cover charge" strategy, which would have eventually gone F2P anyway. Now they are just going to call the F2P switch "launch" rather than the open beta and they even get a free pass on bugs / lack of features because "its still in beta".

Lallante
June 27 2012, 10:28:13 AM
By the way, for anyone considering getting this - the general consensus is the latest ("E3 Build") Patch that went live yesterday is a huge quantum leap forward in almost every sense (graphics, sound, controls, responsiveness, vehicle physics, weapon balance) for Dust, and it is now pretty frickin awesome.

No idea if that breaches NDA, but guessing not.

Cosmin
June 27 2012, 12:32:24 PM
This seems like a pretty good idea from CCP. Its also good timing - the diehardest of diehard fans got in for free and so don't feel exploited, now the second tier can pay (for what looks like a very reasonably priced pack) and finally the third "free" tier can come in at "release".

I applied for beta with all my 5 Eve accounts => zero, nada, nothing. And yea, I have a PS3 for ages and a PSN account. But.

I wouldn't give my card details on the PSN even if they paid me money to do it. A producer whose database has been cracked so many times is just unworthy of my card details, I`m not in the mood of changing my cards every 2 months simply because :sony:

I would buy a Collector's Edition if they actually sold one in shops, with let's say an Eve battleship or dreadnought model or something (would be good publicity for Eve towards Dusties too).

Sorry, but I`m just too :bitter: about buying stuff that's only pixels.

Sponk
June 27 2012, 12:50:41 PM
Can you buy PSN game cards in shops?

Avoid the issue by paying someone else instead.

Mike deVoid
June 27 2012, 01:28:24 PM
Can you buy PSN game cards in shops?

Avoid the issue by paying someone else instead.

Pretty sure there is a way. Or you can just not save the details.

Cosmin
June 27 2012, 01:34:04 PM
What bothers me is that they said EvE players have priority in beta enlisting. Out of all the EvE players, I doubt a significant percentage own a PS3 (due to the major raeg threads of why is this not on PC). They could've just honoured all the beta requests coming from EvE players, as I doubt the server can't handle them.

It's just a CCP slap-in-the-face imo.

And yea, I'm so tempted to buy this, kick me.

Nu11u5
June 27 2012, 01:49:09 PM
People who signed up for beta via Eve were never sent notifications. If you haven't checked the website manually you should do so.

Looking for link.

You can get PSN shopping cards at a lot of stores if you don't want to use your CC online.

Mike deVoid
June 27 2012, 05:56:04 PM
Apparently the permanent suit and gun items have stats equivalent to ones you pay for with isk (not aurum) but I don't know which tier yet.

Nordstern
June 28 2012, 01:01:02 AM
Now they are just going to call the F2P switch "launch" rather than the open beta and they even get a free pass on bugs / lack of features because "its still in beta".
To be honest, they're going to get a free pass on bugs/lack of features precisely because they're CCP.

Nu11u5
June 28 2012, 02:20:39 PM
CCP is more devious than I thought. They are giving away beta keys again at the PSHome space for playing Slay, but they are valid only for one weekend. After that you either have to play Slay again for the next week or buy the Merc Pack for unlimited access.

Previous beta keys are still unlimited, nothing has changed there.

Cosmin
June 28 2012, 03:39:37 PM
People who signed up for beta via Eve were never sent notifications. If you haven't checked the website manually you should do so.

Looking for link.

You can get PSN shopping cards at a lot of stores if you don't want to use your CC online.

*writes down reminder about physical PSN cards*

It's not that I don't want to use my cards online (I do, a little too much actually), but then again only Sony has been raped that badly.

So let me get this straight, I do have Dust access as an Eve player that applied but didn't get the notification that I was accepted? :psyccp: What website do you mean exactly? My EvE account page says

Ľ Dust 514 MPT Status
You have signed up!
Edit signup info

and that's about it.

Nu11u5
June 28 2012, 03:54:33 PM
If you have an invite the code is displayed here:

http://secure.eveonline.com/Vouchers/

If the code fails it's probably for the wrong region. Email support@dust514.com describing your problem and provide the bad code and the country your PSN is registered in. They will sort it out.

Cosmin
June 28 2012, 04:23:53 PM
Mnope, nothing there. Should I e-mail them though about this?

Nu11u5
June 28 2012, 05:50:28 PM
:/ Not everyone got an invite via Eve.

You can play a game of Slay to completion each week on PSHome to get a weekend pass, or buy the Merc Pack for indefinate access.

Rakshasa The Cat
June 28 2012, 08:26:24 PM
I signed up for the EVE account beta pretty damn late, and got in 2-3 weeks or so after the initial batch.

Perhaps they sorted people according to how long they've been playing EVe or something. Cause it seems the people who complain about not getting accepted tend to be newer players.

Jack bubu
June 28 2012, 09:34:01 PM
did anyone buy it yet and try out if it messes with a existing permament beta acces? i dont want mine turned into the "hey you can only play at events" one :V

normally i'd just buy right away, but with ccp everything is possible :)

Cosmin
June 28 2012, 10:22:10 PM
Perhaps they sorted people according to how long they've been playing EVe or something. Cause it seems the people who complain about not getting accepted tend to be newer players.

That would be really dumb tbh. And yea, I'm a newer player, started with 5 accounts at the same time :psyduck:

Mike deVoid
June 28 2012, 10:41:13 PM
did anyone buy it yet and try out if it messes with a existing permament beta acces? i dont want mine turned into the "hey you can only play at events" one :V

normally i'd just buy right away, but with ccp everything is possible :)

You should end up with the 'premium' beta access that all current beta players have. Only the slay beta keys are temporary.

But no, I haven't tried it.

Nu11u5
June 28 2012, 10:45:49 PM
According to a Dev nothing will change except you get the items and Aurum.

Cydo
June 29 2012, 10:37:16 AM
If this is on the store I'll get it and let you know what it's like.

And by that I mean what the item stats/tiers are.

I've got some PSN $ stashed somewhere...

Cydo
June 29 2012, 11:18:32 AM
Just to let the Brits know it's £13.99 in the UK PSN Store.

I'll update about the items in the Dust section.

Cosmin
June 29 2012, 06:21:20 PM
Ok, getting this on Monday when I get home. Not a bad replacement for 2 sandwiches :D

LE: do please poast stuff about it plus-minus screenshots.

LLE: I haz le derp. Damn the NDA.

Mike deVoid
June 29 2012, 08:31:12 PM
It works. The new build rocks.

Cydo
July 1 2012, 09:26:22 AM
Ok, getting this on Monday when I get home. Not a bad replacement for 2 sandwiches :D

LE: do please poast stuff about it plus-minus screenshots.

LLE: I haz le derp. Damn the NDA.

You'll find what your after in the Dust Sub forum when you get access.

Cosmin
July 2 2012, 05:29:59 PM
Downloading at fabulous Sky ADSL speeds -.-

Mike deVoid
January 26 2013, 08:44:53 PM
I've just noticed that Playstation Plus members can buy the merc pack for half price: £8. Considering you get 70,000's worth of AUR (actually even more... if you count the suit and gun blueprints you get) this is an absolute steal.

Mike deVoid
February 18 2013, 10:26:49 PM
A $9.99 starter pack for Dust 514 is free for playstation plus members. This may be US only; didn't even see this on the PS Store just now.

Sponk
February 21 2013, 01:30:28 AM
Dear Players,

We have a new promotional package on the PlayStation Network store for DUST 514. The new offer is called the "Starter Pack" and details are as follows:

Starter Pack
1x Exile rifle - BPO
1x 7-day Active Booster
20x "Neo" Assault Type-I dropsuits - BPC
20x "Neo" Scout Type-I dropsuits - BPC
20x "Neo" Heavy Type-I dropsuits - BPC
- 2000 AUR

The cost of the "Starter Pack" will be $9.99 for North American regions, £7.99 for UK and €9.99 for European regions.

This offer is now available in North American regions and will become available in Sony European/UK regions later today, Febuary 20th.

Happy hunting mercenaries!

prometheus
February 21 2013, 01:35:12 AM
$10 would also get you 21000 Aurum; aka 3x 7-day boosters.
The single booster, Exile Rifle, & 20x of various suits is hardly worth the price unless you're trying to collect weak starter gear.
The items you're already given as a noob are good enough and thus make this starter pack worthless.

Sponk
February 21 2013, 01:57:42 AM
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=566588#post566588

Just so you guys know, we are monitoring the feedback on pricing of these packs versus the perceived quality of the goods we're offering in them. So thanks on any feedback, even if it's "This isn't worth it!" It helps us decide on what to put in future packs and how to properly price them.