PDA

View Full Version : Starsector

Pages : [1] 2

Venec
April 17 2011, 02:55:21 PM
Since I'm a lazy beast, I'm copying description from Bay12 forums where I found it:

Here I come with another promising indie title with sci-fi theme, unknown release date (soon), with building features, great looking, great concept..
And I probably found it because I'm great too.

Anyway: This is Starfarer, a "single-player sandbox style space role-playing game with strategic elements", as it says in their FAQ [Read it for moar info]

In short, it says you can customize your ship, get a fleet with custom officers, invest (build?) outposts in resourceful planets, and all the 'be a merchant, pirate, fighter, or all of the above' freedom these kind of Space games offer.
Also, they plan to make a living/meaningful economy, so you could have a profit by letting chaos spread on the habitable sectors, or offer your services for as long as evil exists.

You can see a small video and screenshots on their media section (I liked how suicidal and chaotic the battle looked btw).
The game's graphics looks like Distant Worlds, which is an awesome RTS and you probably know about it if you're reading this thread.

I hope your interest is enough to put this game on your "Waiting for" list, so you can be cursed to wait for it like I am.
Bai

Bay12 topic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=76383.0 - it's dev is very active in DF community so you should check every so often for new info, his nick is "alexm".

I think playable alpha version is due for 25 April.

Mavolio
April 17 2011, 04:47:16 PM
is this going to have a galaxy you can fly around in or was it only missions that give resources that you can then spend?

Venec
April 17 2011, 06:56:40 PM
is this going to have a galaxy you can fly around in or was it only missions that give resources that you can then spend?

From what I've gathered you'll have galaxy and empire building, just like X3.

friznit
April 17 2011, 07:46:02 PM
RTS style X3 would make me rather wet

Mavolio
April 17 2011, 07:49:42 PM
had a look through the thread and it looks like they have only done the combat part so far. Will be interesting to see what they do with the empire side.

James Snowscoran
April 18 2011, 02:24:33 AM
Sounds really promising and looks like fun too. Will preorder, because even if this should be a failure I'd really like to support anyone designing games in this particular genre.

Takon Orlani
April 18 2011, 04:20:54 AM
Sounds like Escape Velocity.

James Snowscoran
April 18 2011, 11:46:31 AM
EV:Nova was :companioncube:

Intigo
April 18 2011, 04:46:45 PM
Sweet, one of the screenshots have Arbalest Autocannons :D

MicroNova
April 19 2011, 01:02:16 AM
Wish it multiplayer.

But looks good for what it could be.

Melichor
April 19 2011, 03:29:47 AM
Looking forward to seeing how this game pans out, although what I am looking most forward to is the next Blue Planet update for freespace 2 :companioncube:

MicroNova
April 25 2011, 04:05:39 AM
Looks like the devs are saying 4-30 now for the alpha release date.

Still only $10 to pre-order...

alexm
April 25 2011, 05:34:22 PM
Hi, I'm Alex, the lead dev for Starfarer. Saw this thread pop up in the website stats and thought I'd drop in. Glad to hear you guys are liking what you see so far! I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the game.

Seamus
April 25 2011, 05:49:19 PM
Thats some pretty serious PR, props :o

Quarantine
April 25 2011, 06:03:41 PM
Hi, I'm Alex, the lead dev for Starfarer. Saw this thread pop up in the website stats and thought I'd drop in. Glad to hear you guys are liking what you see so far! I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the game.

The game heavily reminds me of Escape Velocity, which needed a sequel anyway. Seeing as you are releasing a Mac client, are you in any way related to Ambrosia?

Venec
April 25 2011, 06:05:44 PM

Oh, hi!

Speaking of question: what elements of empire building will Starfarer have?

alexm
April 25 2011, 07:24:43 PM
Thats some pretty serious PR, props :o
Bah, PR is for big companies :)

The game heavily reminds me of Escape Velocity, which needed a sequel anyway. Seeing as you are releasing a Mac client, are you in any way related to Ambrosia?
Not at all. I have to admit, I haven't actually even played Escape Velocity much. Star Control 2, on the other hand... well, as far as overall inspirations, allow me to quote from the FAQ:

Take a slice of Star Control, mix it with cubed Master of Orion 2, add in a dash of MechWarrior and stir it all up in our special development pot.

I really hesitate to call it "empire building", if only because the sum total of the populated planets in the sector wouldn't qualify for such a lofty term. We're talking maybe 20 core worlds total (a core world being one that is habitable and has an established population numbering in the millions). There are also numerous outposts for various types of industry, and a lot of uninhabited (and unexplored) systems. All this is in a downward spiral of decay. For more on the backstory, check out this illustrated history of the sector (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/02/21/the-state-of-affairs).

Now, to answer your actual question! You'll be able to establish outposts, take over core worlds, and maintain several fleets. However, the focus is on your flagship and its fleet, and if you do choose to go down the path of multiple outposts and large fleets, you won't have precise control over most of it. The more power you have, the less control you have over it. For example,if you own one outpost, you'll be able to place buildings and direct it personally. For subsequent outposts, you'll have to assign administrators which handle all these for you (and not necessarily exactly how you'd like). The same idea extends to flagship vs the rest of your fleet vs your other fleets, as well as other parts of the game.

Building up industry and outposts is just one of several ways to advance - focusing on your fleet, or even just your flagship exclusively will all be viable. Depending on which way you go, you'll just have to have a different approach to problem solving. Hit-and-run attacks might not work so well if you're in charge of an armada, but on the other hand, a frontal assault on a well-defended outpost wouldn't be a great option if all you have is a single cruiser.

Surveyor
April 25 2011, 08:10:20 PM

Hi :D
This is a bit like the 'Bloody Mary'-thingy but its awesome. Likely cause all here are to lazy to bookmark your website and prefer to crawl through their beloved forums to get a link.

Edit, because im a moron and hit the wrong button >.<

Since you offered to answer quesions, i had one but you mor eor less answered it in your blog (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/04/24/starfarer-manual/#comments).
It would have been about the 'flux'. When reading your manual i thought damn this game is not as easy as i anticipated and what he calls flux reminds me (in a very favorable way) of heat in my most loved tabletop \o/.

Your answer to this was:

The other reason was that heat would be a total Mech Warrior ripoff, though maybe that’s not a big concern.
And i guess your right and not so right at the same time. It would be a ripoff if you were a huge company taping together a game with stuff from other games. Since you are an indiedeveloper and one that cares a lot about his game (shown by your effort) many would see the usage of heat as homage to a great game/universe.

This brings up another question: Can i (a user) get a mod or do something with the game to exchange 'flux' <-> 'heat'? It would of course depend on how you use flux within the game universe and it is fine by itself, but thinking of oversized guns, i feel het is an appropriate term :mrgreen:

Mavolio
April 25 2011, 08:36:30 PM

Any chance of having ponies in the game?

alexm
April 25 2011, 08:58:23 PM
And i guess your right and not so right at the same time. It would be a ripoff if you were a huge company taping together a game with stuff from other games. Since you are an indiedeveloper and one that cares a lot about his game (shown by your effort) many would see the usage of heat as homage to a great game/universe.

This brings up another question: Can i (a user) get a mod or do something with the game to exchange 'flux' <-> 'heat'? It would of course depend on how you use flux within the game universe and it is fine by itself, but thinking of oversized guns, i feel het is an appropriate term :mrgreen:
Ahh, that might be tricky simply due to some UI stuff. While the game itself will be extensively moddable (and is already well on its way in that department - for example, you'll be able to create new missions and ship variants in the alpha, though at this point with just a text editor), the UI itself probably won't be. Now, the thing is, flux is an intentionally vague term. In my mind, it includes things like heat generation - and for big guns, it's certainly a large part of what it represents.

It's kind of funny how it evolved, actually. Started out as "energy", then got tweaked a few times for various mechanics reasons, and at some point I took a step back and though "Hmm, ok, this is basically heat from MW now. Crap!". So it did not start out as either a homage or a ripoff, but fat chance anyone will believe me now :)

Any chance of having ponies in the game?
Yellow.

MicroNova
April 26 2011, 01:06:40 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1Tn8lAEi8hZAHDDgOSZ_HJx_0bgQMQ_Tt2TNx2kXbQV c
Linky to the pre-alpha manual, describes some interesting mechanics for the game.
I really like the concepts of flux, the venting ability, the shield balancing (hopefully ala x-wing) and the auto fire for the point defenses.

Overall it feels closer to the Starfleet Battles tabletop war game than the spectre of anything else that has been invoked so far.

Oh, and preorder it bitches, you are going to spend the $ later anyway. :slaver:

Venec
April 26 2011, 01:29:23 AM
I really hesitate to call it "empire building", if only because the sum total of the populated planets in the sector wouldn't qualify for such a lofty term. We're talking maybe 20 core worlds total (a core world being one that is habitable and has an established population numbering in the millions). There are also numerous outposts for various types of industry, and a lot of uninhabited (and unexplored) systems. All this is in a downward spiral of decay. For more on the backstory, check out this illustrated history of the sector (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/02/21/the-state-of-affairs).

Now, to answer your actual question! You'll be able to establish outposts, take over core worlds, and maintain several fleets. However, the focus is on your flagship and its fleet, and if you do choose to go down the path of multiple outposts and large fleets, you won't have precise control over most of it. The more power you have, the less control you have over it. For example,if you own one outpost, you'll be able to place buildings and direct it personally. For subsequent outposts, you'll have to assign administrators which handle all these for you (and not necessarily exactly how you'd like). The same idea extends to flagship vs the rest of your fleet vs your other fleets, as well as other parts of the game.

Building up industry and outposts is just one of several ways to advance - focusing on your fleet, or even just your flagship exclusively will all be viable. Depending on which way you go, you'll just have to have a different approach to problem solving. Hit-and-run attacks might not work so well if you're in charge of an armada, but on the other hand, a frontal assault on a well-defended outpost wouldn't be a great option if all you have is a single cruiser.

Thanks for the answer :)

I've got one more: how map will be handled; I mean will the "game area" be seamless or divided into, for example, smaller maps which are areas in general proximity of points of interest like asteroid belts or planets?

EDIT:

One more: will the "galaxy sandbox" be in alpha or just pre-designed missions for the time being?

alexm
April 26 2011, 02:39:39 AM
I've got one more: how map will be handled; I mean will the "game area" be seamless or divided into, for example, smaller maps which are areas in general proximity of points of interest like asteroid belts or planets?

EDIT:

One more: will the "galaxy sandbox" be in alpha or just pre-designed missions for the time being?
I'm thinking seamless with some automatic zooming depending on proximity to gravity wells, but don't hold me to that. Will have to try out a few approaches to see what feels right.

Battles will definitely take place in a separate space, though.

This alpha just has missions. A later alpha will have the sandbox - this is something we'll start working on soon after the dust clears from this release.

Hels
April 26 2011, 03:06:23 AM
Oh man another dev to stop by our forum. :D

First Firgof from Star Ruler and now Alexm. Awesomeness. Will be tracking, where do I preorder?

alexm
April 26 2011, 03:10:51 AM
Oh man another dev to stop by our forum. :D

First Firgof from Star Ruler and now Alexm. Awesomeness. Will be tracking, where do I preorder?
Right here (http://fractalsoftworks.com/preorder) :D

Edit: Oh, and call me Alex. I just use alexm for the forum name because "alex" is usually taken.

Narmio
April 26 2011, 05:39:13 AM
I just pre-ordered on hearing that this featured 2D top-down spaceship fights with gorgeous looking pixel art. Something about a childhood spent playing Escape Velocity has made anything in this genre give me an instant semi. I might not be able to play for a few months due to RL interference, but you've already earnt my money just by making something that looks like this.

James Snowscoran
April 26 2011, 09:57:54 AM
I cannot believe someone would design a top-down 2D space game without playing Escape Velocity Nova for inspiration!

Also preordering

Venec
April 26 2011, 12:07:04 PM

EDIT:

I'm thinking seamless with some automatic zooming depending on proximity to gravity wells, but don't hold me to that. Will have to try out a few approaches to see what feels right.

Battles will definitely take place in a separate space, though.

This alpha just has missions. A later alpha will have the sandbox - this is something we'll start working on soon after the dust clears from this release.

Fair enough, as soon as I'll get money online - preoder :)

Surveyor
April 26 2011, 12:27:51 PM
I cannot believe someone would design a top-down 2D space game without playing Escape Velocity Nova for inspiration!

Also preordering

Never Heard of EV: Nova before this thread, but i like the genre :mrgreen:

alexm
April 26 2011, 06:19:15 PM
Thanks for your support, guys. I really appreciate it!

Looking forward to your feedback once the alpha is out :)

Surveyor
April 26 2011, 07:05:33 PM
2 indiegames i'm dieing to play,
2 awesome developer(s/ teams)
2 'it will be out soon' messages

Dunno what my sin is, but if Starfarer/SPAZ are out, i will disappear for 2 weeks :companioncube:

Keep up the good work :D

MicroNova
April 29 2011, 01:01:10 AM
Got an email from the devs saying Alpha releases on Saturday.

Dear God,
Please make sure this game doesn't suck. You can have Hels & filingo's firstborn child as payment.

-MN

Surveyor
April 29 2011, 06:18:40 AM
Got an email from the devs saying Alpha releases on Saturday.

Dear God,
Please make sure this game doesn't suck. You can have Hels & filingo's firstborn child as payment.

-MN

Rly ?!? *drool*

Also: Best wishes to FREEE, where ever you roam (Which hole ;) )

Redclaws
April 29 2011, 10:47:34 AM
Awesome this and SPAZ are going to be great.

Preordered \o/

Nooby
April 29 2011, 11:23:59 AM
Preordered. 8-)

Surveyor
April 29 2011, 11:50:05 AM
alex,can you confirm the beta-release tomorow ?

alexm
April 29 2011, 04:18:44 PM
alex,can you confirm the beta-release tomorow?

I can confirm an alpha release tomorrow :)

As I think I mentioned above, this release is entirely focused on combat - there are 6 missions of varying difficulty levels.

You can also mod (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/03/08/first-look-at-modding) missions, if you're so inclined.

Surveyor
April 29 2011, 05:56:56 PM
Awesome, credit card armed and ready to purchase .... bought ! :D
Will be hard to sleept tonight :psyduck:

Mavolio
April 29 2011, 11:06:06 PM
do we have a time for beta release so i can know if i should goto sleep early or late? ;)

alexm
April 29 2011, 11:30:19 PM
do we have a time for beta release so i can know if i should goto sleep early or late? ;)

Well, you see. I'm aiming for later tonight (EST). But, if last minute testing reveals an issue (or I fall asleep on the keyboard), it could be well into tomorrow. I'm not helping much, am I?

Mavolio
April 30 2011, 02:54:53 AM
alpha version is out now!! glad i didn't go to sleep :P

alexm
April 30 2011, 03:01:38 AM
Hah, beat me to the punch!

Yes indeed, the alpha (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/04/29/starfarer-alpha-released) is officially out!

Let me know if you run into any trouble. There's nothing quite like an actual release to get the bugs coming out of the woodwork, despite whatever testing you do.

Mavolio
April 30 2011, 03:23:34 AM
If you placed your order using an anonymous email account such as hotmail.com your order will be reviewed
by a customer service representative prior to being completed.

:cut: omgs having to wait makes me sad. I assume there is no one awake at BMT so will give it 20 more mins before i rage off to sleep :(

alexm
April 30 2011, 03:42:49 AM
:( Well, look on the bright side - at least you got the order in tonight. Thanks for that, by the way - really appreciate it!

MicroNova
April 30 2011, 04:34:08 AM
So the difficulty seems to ramp up a bit from Mission #1 to #2. Got buggered nicely on my first attempt, and the second... Must play more.

Great game, nice work Alex.

alexm
April 30 2011, 04:46:22 AM
So the difficulty seems to ramp up a bit from Mission #1 to #2. Got buggered nicely on my first attempt, and the second... Must play more.
Yeah, it does ramp up a lot (perhaps a bit more than it should?). The 2nd mission takes some figuring out, especially since the flagship is rather peculiar. Effective, but peculiar.

So the difficulty seems to ramp up a bit from Mission #1 to #2. Got buggered nicely
Great game, nice work Alex.
Thank you, glad you like!

Nooby
April 30 2011, 06:48:29 AM
Downloadin'

I love the sound effects... PEWPEWRATATAT

Surveyor
April 30 2011, 08:20:14 AM
hmm awesome >.<.
Am I supposed to recieve a email with the downloadlink :? or did i just overlook it on the homepage

Forget it, I'm just blind. And thos buttons are suboptimal.

Redclaws
April 30 2011, 01:19:26 PM
daaaamn this is hard

Nooby
April 30 2011, 02:45:41 PM
The bigger my ship, the faster I go up in flames... :oops:

alexm
April 30 2011, 04:56:41 PM
The bigger my ship, the faster I go up in flames... :oops:

The thing about big ships is, if you're already in trouble, it's hard to run away - so need to avoid the bad spots in the first place. Learning what those are is another matter :)

Hels
April 30 2011, 05:08:56 PM
I think I'm dumb and can't figure out how to download.

Redclaws
April 30 2011, 05:13:11 PM
try ctrl+f5'ing the main page. There are buttons but they didn't show up for me before i forced a refresh.

For the gameplay: small ships are friggin dangerous.
Finished 4 missions now, the impossible one and the top "medium" mission left.

Nooby
April 30 2011, 05:24:20 PM
The impossible mission is really impossible...

Anyhoo, after a few failures in the other missions, I started using all the other ships in my group and I'm slowly getting better and survive longer.
My favorite mission is Sink the Bis'mar... Your ship in that one is full of awesome.

Also, I can't wait to refit all the ships.
Furthermore, I haven't encountered any bugs or ctd's so far. Nice~

alexm
April 30 2011, 05:26:12 PM

try ctrl+f5'ing the main page. There are buttons but they didn't show up for me before i forced a refresh.

Hm, crap - I think I may have mucked up the CSS for those fancy buttons. My apologies. Browser/OS?

Congrats on beating those missions! I kind of expected "The Last Hurrah" to be harder, and the 2nd one, easier.

Hah, that's what I thought until David (our artist) beat it. Now, he won't let me live it down.

Redclaws
April 30 2011, 06:42:26 PM

Hm, crap - I think I may have mucked up the CSS for those fancy buttons. My apologies. Browser/OS?

Congrats on beating those missions! I kind of expected "The Last Hurrah" to be harder, and the 2nd one, easier.

Hah, that's what I thought until David (our artist) beat it. Now, he won't let me live it down.

Firefox 3.6.17 on windows 7 (without SP1)

I do really have the impression fighters are too good.
Even with focusing all my ships on them for the entire time they still kill off half my fleet. Or maybe the enemy just has too many wings of them.
This is especially visible on the "medium" mission.

Hels
April 30 2011, 06:53:39 PM
I am awful at this game.

lol

Still trying.

alexm
April 30 2011, 07:17:11 PM
I do really have the impression fighters are too good.
Even with focusing all my ships on them for the entire time they still kill off half my fleet. Or maybe the enemy just has too many wings of them.
This is especially visible on the "medium" mission.
Are you ordering your ships to attack them specifically? That's usually not a good idea, unless you *really* need to finish something off. They'll do better if they can pick their own targets.

Your Wasp wings should be quite good at taking out enemy fighters in that mission. The flagship's notable weakness, on the other hand, is a lack of point-defense - so it's going to have lots of trouble facing enemy fighters unsupported.

I am awful at this game.

lol

Still trying.
Don't give up, you can do it :D

Hels
April 30 2011, 09:56:47 PM
Whoo beat it. Seems like grabbing the control point is the key to victory. Need to get your blob up faster than the enemy.

Surveyor
April 30 2011, 10:19:11 PM
Finally had a chance to try it for more then 10 minutes.
Since I'm not aware of any forum dedicated to your game, I'll just dump my 'feedback' here:

First impression: W-O-W :shock: [not the lame MMO]. Looks great, sound and atmosphere fit well.

Tutorial was short, but did it's job (after all, still an alpha-version). Jumpt into the first mission and DIAF ... so back to tutorial to catch up parts i might have missed. Well i didn't, your definition of 'normal' is just a step-up from the usual games :slaver: (like it).
So far i've beaten 2 missions ('Turning the Tables' and 'Sinking the Bis'mar'), although the later just because you gave the tip.
Its a hard game, but it makes winning far more fun. Keep up the good work. Your game is worth every cent and i'm courious what other stuff we will see. ;)

James Snowscoran
April 30 2011, 11:14:58 PM
Great fun to play! But I find that for the larger ships (the first medium difficulty one comes to mind) I get better performance just leaving a couple weapon groups on autofire and concentrating on managing my flux, shields and positioning. It's amazing how quickly you can get torn to pieces if some bombers or light capitals catch you with your pants down and fluxed out. It seems to me on that mission that your ship has better shield than the enemies, but they have much better armour.

Hels
April 30 2011, 11:35:11 PM
I do the same with everything but missiles, since they have such a low ammo count and high one shot damage.

Edit: Boom got the Bis'mar, yay fighter regen.

Mavolio
May 1 2011, 12:27:48 AM
I found a weird bug.

On predator and Prey i was down to the light carrier and they had their main ship left with a lot of its health left so i couldn't even get close. But i noticed on the mini map it still showed a heavy fighter wing of mine. I flew over to it found a few wreaks from the squad near but not exactly where it showed the squad should bel. When the enemy capital ship got close it focused all its fire power on a spot in space that didn't have any thing. While it was doing that i flew in close. The capital ship changed its mind and launched 2 nukes and killed us both tho i won as his ship died slightly 1st i think as i had my shields up.

MicroNova
May 1 2011, 06:44:30 AM
Finally beat the hornets nest after several tries. Definitely a substantial learning curve (brick wall) from Easy to Medium, but that made the victory so much sweeter.

Learning to use the autofire capability was big lesson #1.

[spoiler:mh841kaz]I finally won by not calling my flag in until last, this enabled me to cap the 30% point and two of the 10% points with the smaller faster ships.[/spoiler:mh841kaz]

My only suggestion so far is when you exit a mission for it to take you back to the missions menu, instead of the main menu those extra clicks really add up when you are getting your ass kicked time and again.

The speed of combat is so visceral, it reminds me of the battle scenes from Robotech.

alexm
May 1 2011, 04:22:12 PM
But i noticed on the mini map it still showed a heavy fighter wing of mine. I flew over to it found a few wreaks from the squad near but not exactly where it showed the squad should bel.

Ahh, thanks for reporting that. I thought I'd fixed this one - clearly not. Very frustrating bug to run into, especially if it happens to an enemy fighter wing and you can't get a win because of it. Going on top of the "to fix (again)" pile.

Finally beat the hornets nest after several tries. Definitely a substantial learning curve (brick wall) from Easy to Medium, but that made the victory so much sweeter.

Congratulations :) I think there'll be an *actual* medium mission in between the first two, in the next release.

My only suggestion so far is when you exit a mission for it to take you back to the missions menu, instead of the main menu those extra clicks really add up when you are getting your ass kicked time and again.

Good call, I'll do that.

Redclaws
May 2 2011, 09:38:28 AM
Alex,

What is the best way to keep updated with your development and release progress? I noticed your website doesn't have any forums of its own.

Will we get an email on a patch or release?

Surveyor
May 2 2011, 11:28:37 AM
If just beaten the 2nd medium mission. Mission can be quite easy with a flexible mind :mrgreen:
:companioncube:

James Snowscoran
May 2 2011, 01:22:58 PM
If just beaten the 2nd medium mission. Mission can be quite easy with a flexible mind :mrgreen:
:companioncube:
What's your strategy? I finished it as well but have yet to find a reliable way of beating it.

Surveyor
May 2 2011, 01:54:05 PM
Best tip apart from the spoiler is: look how your chosen units fare and if they DIAF play around.

This worked for me (if i didn't die to ignoring random torpedoes)

[spoiler:18ccnswe]&#39;Predator or Prey?&#39;

Started with everything except the 2 interceptorsquads and rushed for the left point. When i spoted the enemy fighters i engaged them with the Shogun and killed the Wasp-squads. After those were gone and the point captured i mounted an all-out-offensive, killen the remaining support and then focusing on the elitecarrier.

100% :smug:[/spoiler:18ccnswe]

arian snow
May 2 2011, 01:56:01 PM
Looks great, se if I can find some time and preorder.

How is the openworld part comming along? seems like a daunting task.

EvilFree
May 2 2011, 03:09:12 PM
I fail at this.

Only been able to complete Turning The Tables and Sinking the Bis'mar

EvilFree
May 2 2011, 06:11:52 PM
Heres some feedback Alex, holding right mouse button for the directional shield gets annoying fast, in the end i dont even bother using it.

alexm
May 2 2011, 06:24:55 PM
Alex,

What is the best way to keep updated with your development and release progress? I noticed your website doesn't have any forums of its own.

Will we get an email on a patch or release?
For now, the mailing list, the blog/its RSS (http://fractalsoftworks.com/feed) feed, or Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/amosolov). I think we'll get forums going in a little bit - seems like there's enough interest now to warrant having them.

Looks great, se if I can find some time and preorder.

How is the openworld part comming along? seems like a daunting task.
Thanks! It is a dauntng task indeed, and we'll take it one step at a time. So far we've just been focusing on combat, so there isn't much code devoted to it. Combat already has hooks for a lot of the open-world stuff, though - like skills affecting ship performance, ship outfitting, etc.

The likely next step would be adding the ability to outfit your flagship per-mission just to get some customizability in, with actual open-world navigation coming after that.

I fail at this.

Only been able to complete Turning The Tables and Sinking the Bis'mar
It's hard. As I think I mentioned above, the next release will feature a true "medium" mission to help ease you into the game a bit better. I don't want to tone down the overall difficulty, though.

Heres some feedback Alex, holding right mouse button for the directional shield gets annoying fast, in the end i dont even bother using it.
Yeah, good call. It's already been changed in the dev build, so it'll work like a toggle shield that still follows your mouse in the next release. Feels tons better.

Hels
May 2 2011, 06:27:31 PM
A restart mission button would be great. Sometimes I just already know I'm screwed.

EvilFree
May 2 2011, 06:39:14 PM
A restart mission button would be great. Sometimes I just already know I'm screwed.

lol I know the feeling.

EvilFree
May 2 2011, 06:42:01 PM
It's hard. As I think I mentioned above, the next release will feature a true "medium" mission to help ease you into the game a bit better. I don't want to tone down the overall difficulty, though.

With the ability to change the fitting of your flagship, it will be easier to adjust to missions. Just now i get face raped by fighters and i have no point defense for instance.

alexm
May 2 2011, 06:46:15 PM

In the next release: Escape + quit mission takes you to mission screen with that mission already selected. Saves a few clicks, really should have done that to begin with. Just fell through the cracks.

I'll see if it's easy enough to add in a "restart" option, though... hmm. That'd probably require a confirmation, and might end up being about as many clicks as exiting the mission and getting back in (the new way).

Btw, if you want to navigate dialogs a bit faster, pressing space is the same as clicking ok/yes/whatever the positive response is. Pressing escape is the same as the negative response.

Hels
May 2 2011, 06:48:04 PM

In the next release: Escape + quit mission takes you to mission screen with that mission already selected. Saves a few clicks, really should have done that to begin with. Just fell through the cracks.

I'll see if it's easy enough to add in a "restart" option, though... hmm. That'd probably require a confirmation, and might end up being about as many clicks as exiting the mission and getting back in (the new way).

Btw, if you want to navigate dialogs a bit faster, pressing space is the same as clicking ok/yes/whatever the positive response is. Pressing escape is the same as the negative response.
While we're on that, the briefing text comes across/starts too slow.

Pressing space to make it ll appear would be handy.

alexm
May 2 2011, 06:57:57 PM
While we're on that, the briefing text comes across/starts too slow.

Pressing space to make it ll appear would be handy.
Are you sure it doesn't already? (can't check now, but thought it did!). If now, left-clicking anywhere in the briefing area does that for sure. I'll double check if space does it and add if not.

With the ability to change the fitting of your flagship, it will be easier to adjust to missions. Just now i get face raped by fighters and i have no point defense for instance.

Right. Then you'll get beat down by enemy destroyers that laugh at your puny PD :D

Nooby
May 2 2011, 07:42:57 PM
Right. Then you'll get beat down by enemy destroyers that laugh at your puny PD :D
RAMMING SPEED!

EvilFree
May 2 2011, 07:52:58 PM
RAMMING SPEED!

lol

Hels
May 2 2011, 07:54:11 PM
RAMMING SPEED!

lol

That would be something tbh.

Can we get a reinforced nose or something to ram other ships with? Would be quite awesome.

Edit: Reinforced bow. Using proper ship terminology.

Narmio
May 3 2011, 02:23:30 AM
Right, I finally managed to finish both the Medium missions! That was hard, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Some feedback:

One thing I did notice is that the tutorial gave me no instructions on how to command other ships, and what finally allowed me to beat Predator or Prey is messing around on the War Room interface until I figured out I could select ships and order them to move different places and attack different targets (although they seem to be a little independent when it comes to following specific attack orders, I notice they wander off a bit). I was wondering whether a second tutorial (or an expansion of the first) that covered giving orders would be advisable? Also, I had to mash buttons for a while until I figured out how to use my shields, that wasn't in the tutorial either.

As for introducing intermediate levels of difficulty, maybe have much smaller fleets for a mission or two? Maybe even just your flagship. Then later on introduce fleets. Getting started one of the hardest things to do was maintain battlefield awareness: It's hard when you're just learning to keep track of where the bad guys are, much less where your friends are. Trying to keep my fleet together and effective is pretty tricky. Easing people into that might give a better skill curve: learn about positioning yourself relative to enemies, then about positioning your fleet.

Also the flagship in the second mission (the van Rijn) is so very, very different from the one in the first mission that the learning curve is crazy. I totally get that you wanted to include all sorts of different gameplay in the alpha, but for later releases you might want to think about what aspects of the game should be introduced to the player in what order. Reducing user cognitive load by only introducing new elements one at a time is what makes really tricky games less frustrating while still staying challenging. Portal is the exemplar of that principle, introducing new things at exactly the right pace.

I kinda like the "throw yourself into the deep end" aspect of it at the moment, though. It makes the learning experience part of the play experience. But that sort of challenge game usually appeals to a much smaller player base than one which holds your hand a little!

Thanks, though, Alex. This is a very fun little game that will only get better!

Mavolio
May 3 2011, 02:52:28 AM
I think it will be better once there are more missions. So maybe you will go from maybe only having a single frigate up to a bigger fleet so you dont such a harsh learning curve.

alexm
May 3 2011, 04:10:02 AM
Can we get a reinforced nose or something to ram other ships with? Would be quite awesome. Edit: Reinforced bow. Using proper ship terminology.
Maybe :)

[spoiler:31gbfiyq]Right, I finally managed to finish both the Medium missions! That was hard, but I think I&#39;m getting the hang of it. Some feedback:

One thing I did notice is that the tutorial gave me no instructions on how to command other ships, and what finally allowed me to beat Predator or Prey is messing around on the War Room interface until I figured out I could select ships and order them to move different places and attack different targets (although they seem to be a little independent when it comes to following specific attack orders, I notice they wander off a bit). I was wondering whether a second tutorial (or an expansion of the first) that covered giving orders would be advisable? Also, I had to mash buttons for a while until I figured out how to use my shields, that wasn&#39;t in the tutorial either.

As for introducing intermediate levels of difficulty, maybe have much smaller fleets for a mission or two? Maybe even just your flagship. Then later on introduce fleets. Getting started one of the hardest things to do was maintain battlefield awareness: It&#39;s hard when you&#39;re just learning to keep track of where the bad guys are, much less where your friends are. Trying to keep my fleet together and effective is pretty tricky. Easing people into that might give a better skill curve: learn about positioning yourself relative to enemies, then about positioning your fleet.

Also the flagship in the second mission (the van Rijn) is so very, very different from the one in the first mission that the learning curve is crazy. I totally get that you wanted to include all sorts of different gameplay in the alpha, but for later releases you might want to think about what aspects of the game should be introduced to the player in what order. Reducing user cognitive load by only introducing new elements one at a time is what makes really tricky games less frustrating while still staying challenging. Portal is the exemplar of that principle, introducing new things at exactly the right pace.

I kinda like the "throw yourself into the deep end" aspect of it at the moment, though. It makes the learning experience part of the play experience. But that sort of challenge game usually appeals to a much smaller player base than one which holds your hand a little!

Thanks, though, Alex. This is a very fun little game that will only get better![/spoiler:31gbfiyq]

Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you like it.

You're absolutely right about the reason for such disparate missions (trying to show a breadth of gameplay/content). That really did make it more difficult, along with a gross underestimation of how tough mission 2 really is. Especially since the van Rijn is such an oddball (though effective) ship.

Lots to think about for changing up the missions for the next release. You can definitely expect to see some changes in that regard - though,if by then, you have stuff figured out, they might be a bit wasted on you :)

And yeah, need at least a brief warroom tutorial.

James Snowscoran
May 3 2011, 07:58:29 AM
The van Rijn is my favourite ship out of all the ones we get to fly I think. It can snipe all day with the long-range laser as well as deliver immense gank damage at medium range to the frontal arc with the AM cannons. That said, it would probably struggle in a different mission situation like the last hurrah, where you really need your point defense to take out enemy bombers. Definitely works best when supported by interceptors (who are crazy cheap in point costs for what they do IMO, 3 fleet points is a steal)

Mavolio
May 3 2011, 04:26:13 PM
on Striking the Bismar does any one else find the 2 frigates refuse to help kill the last capital ship even when on full health?

Also i think the problem with ships moving far from where you send them is because once they get to where you send them they dont stop they keep floating along at that speed.

Surveyor
May 3 2011, 04:59:13 PM
I orded every other ship to stay clear of the Bis'mar(ck :mrgreen:) and solo'd it :geek:

James Snowscoran
May 3 2011, 05:08:56 PM
on Striking the Bismar does any one else find the 2 frigates refuse to help kill the last capital ship even when on full health?
They won't be much help anyway, I just retreat them when the enemy fighters are dead. You can solo the battleship easily enough with hit-and-run attacks on its engines.

Mavolio
May 3 2011, 07:23:57 PM
the 2 frigates have nice weapons on them as well and they both still had 3 missiles left which do some nice dmg.

alexm
May 3 2011, 10:20:57 PM

They get a bit intimidated by the Onslaught. They're much more likely to commit to an attack if there are other friendly units close by. With that kind of power disparity, the AI captains consider a solo attack run on the Onslaught too dangerous. You can pretend to have them court-martialed after the mission is over :)

The danger tolerance will be controlled by captain personality when we actually have captains with personalities. It's already set up to be easy to vary along a spectrum of values, but is currently hardcoded to a middle of the road value.

Note that ships also get a lot more skittish when they've taken severe damage.

I orded every other ship to stay clear of the Bis'mar(ck :mrgreen:) and solo'd it :geek:

Someone got it ;)

Venec
May 4 2011, 10:59:13 AM
I'm so bad at this game, can't even *survive* medium missions... :psyduck:

... and I love it, it's been awhile since I've felt complete clueless playing something :)

Redclaws
May 4 2011, 12:49:30 PM
Has anybody finished the mission where you have to escape? Any tips?

Trindermon
May 4 2011, 01:06:24 PM
As a big fan of GSB (recently) and other space type strats, i am looking forward to this - specially the more "open universe" type play; will pre order tonight and grab a copy to take a look ;-)

Although no multiplayer makes me a sad panda, i understand that from a small indy dev team point of view multiplayer muddys the waters some what (its a complaint i have about the Spaz alpha and game), but games like this (especially with open world content) are crying out for multiplayer.

that aside, great to see a new indy dev pushing out something that we always love on FHC, spaceships ;-)

/Theo

Renox
May 4 2011, 01:21:30 PM
Finally managed to win a few missions. Great game!

A bit of feedback/questions.

Is it possible to give ships guard commands? It is very easy to become separated from the rest of your fleet when the fighting erupts. This isn't so much a problem for the fast ships (they can just run away), but flagships and carries are often toast without backup. So if it's not implemented I would suggest adding a guard command.

Another point. Is should be possible to select the individual ships from the top right fleet overview. Right now it's a mess having to pick out your ships in between the other ships on the strategic map. This is especially try right at the start of a mission.

Some kind of indicator for weapons with limited rate of fire would be nice. I never seem to be able to fire my AM guns when I want to and I can't see when they are ready next (as far as I know at least).

Nooby
May 4 2011, 03:40:18 PM
Ugh, I finally won the Hard mission, where you control the battleship.
It was actually quite easy, once I figured out, why I havelost so often...

The best part was engaging the enemy battleships ... Put your ship alongside the the enemy and blast away with everything you got. Awesome.

e: Hornets Nest: 85% Yo.

alexm
May 5 2011, 07:03:43 PM
Although no multiplayer makes me a sad panda, i understand that from a small indy dev team point of view multiplayer muddys the waters some what (its a complaint i have about the Spaz alpha and game), but games like this (especially with open world content) are crying out for multiplayer.

Yeah, multiplayer is pretty much like making two games, in terms of effort. Design goals really get to be quite different, too, and in my opinion one or the other tends to suffer for it.

Finally managed to win a few missions. Great game!

A bit of feedback/questions.

Is it possible to give ships guard commands? It is very easy to become separated from the rest of your fleet when the fighting erupts. This isn't so much a problem for the fast ships (they can just run away), but flagships and carries are often toast without backup. So if it's not implemented I would suggest adding a guard command.

Another point. Is should be possible to select the individual ships from the top right fleet overview. Right now it's a mess having to pick out your ships in between the other ships on the strategic map. This is especially try right at the start of a mission.

Some kind of indicator for weapons with limited rate of fire would be nice. I never seem to be able to fire my AM guns when I want to and I can't see when they are ready next (as far as I know at least).
Thank you!

Smaller ships in a group automatically guard the largest/slowest one. So if you're in a group with some fighter wings, they'll follow you around.

Re: selecting ships from top right - great point, thanks for bringing that up.

About weapon cooldown - you can see it on the bottom of the screen, for weapons in the selected group. It's not very prominent, I'll grant you that :)

Hels
May 5 2011, 07:46:16 PM
Maybe a color change could happen on the weapon's status indicator at the bottom. I think now it's just a small bar that shrinks down (haven't played in a few days due to work so correct me), maybe if it went from orange to green when ready to fire again the player could have an easier time just looking for the color.

Just thoughts.
Also what all is going to be moddable? And I think you answered it earlier, but how is the sandbox handled? Procedurally generated or a preset world?

Mavolio
May 5 2011, 08:09:46 PM
Maybe just having the cool down bar bigger and red while you cant fire and then change to green when you can would be enough of a difference.

The other thing that might be worth doing would be having the firing arcs red when you cant fire then green when you can instead of just using brown(?) as it appears atm. Not sure Sure if that would look horrible or not tho but it would make it easy to see which firing arcs can fire and which cant.

also Starfarer forums are up now http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/

Narmio
May 6 2011, 04:43:52 AM
The other thing that might be worth doing would be having the firing arcs red when you cant fire then green when you can instead of just using brown(?) as it appears atm. Not sure Sure if that would look horrible or not tho but it would make it easy to see which firing arcs can fire and which cant.
This sounds really useful. Instead of colour change how about significantly dimming the firing arcs when you can't fire? Simple visual cue and it won't have any risk of looking odd by changing colours. The only problem is that firing arcs for weapons with very fast rates of fire might flicker back and forth looking silly, so maybe only dim when the RoF is slow enough for it to matter.

Mavolio
May 6 2011, 06:15:12 PM
Some one has made a custom mission for this already which is def worth a try!

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0

edit: linked wrong thread

alexm
May 6 2011, 06:31:26 PM
Great idea about doing something with the arcs to show more status, will do.

Btw, if you tried to get the mission and couldn't see it attached to the OP in that thread, it's because forum permissions weren't set to allow visitors to see files. That's been very recently fixed :)

Nooby
May 6 2011, 07:31:58 PM
Some one has made a custom mission for this already which is def worth a try!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0

That mission is intense... :shock:

alexm
May 11 2011, 12:45:52 AM
Hi guys! Wanted to point you to a rather extended gameplay video of the alpha, courtesy of Dominic from DIYGamer.

You can find the full 2-part video here (http://www.diygamer.com/2011/05/starfarer_alpha_video/), along with his overall thoughts on the game.

Also, a review side by side with SPAZ here (http://www.diygamer.com/2011/05/spaz_starfarer_preview/).

The video is very nicely annotated and gives you a great idea of what the alpha is about right now.

[youtube:1wckiims]eOWakBlTTbo[/youtube:1wckiims]

[youtube:1wckiims]JG7P0pjfoSc[/youtube:1wckiims]

Melichor
May 11 2011, 04:08:24 AM
Thanks for those videos, the game looks much better then I was expecting. I look forward to the full campaign to see how the missions look

James Snowscoran
May 11 2011, 10:10:24 AM
So has the 0.34a been released yet? I'm not seeing any download links anywhere on the site.

alexm
May 11 2011, 07:29:49 PM
So has the 0.34a been released yet? I'm not seeing any download links anywhere on the site.
Do you mean any download links, or just for 0.34a? There are certainly links for 0.33a...

0.34a is not out yet - I'm just updating the "Live Patch Notes" thread in the forum as changes are being made, leading up to the 0.34a release. Is that confusing? Perhaps I ought to name the thread differently if it is.

Assuming your question was prompted by that, anyway.

James Snowscoran
May 11 2011, 10:00:32 PM
It was, I have that vsync bug where everything is fast forward which makes things a tad more difficult (especially sinking the Bismaru, damn that little ship is tough to control) so eagerly anticipating the patch :) But hey, this is an alpha release, a bumpy ride is to be expected and tbh I had anticipating far more bugs and crashing.

But as far as I can tell it's just me, everyone else seems to have understood that the patch is still unreleased.

alexm
May 12 2011, 02:13:08 AM
It was, I have that vsync bug where everything is fast forward which makes things a tad more difficult (especially sinking the Bismaru, damn that little ship is tough to control) so eagerly anticipating the patch :)

Ahh, I see. You know you can fix the vsync bug, right? Just turn vsync on (or at least not forced off) in your graphics card settings. If you don't want to/can't do that for some reason, open up data/config/settings.json and change "vsync":true to "vsync":false near the top, and that'll do it too (though as that turns vsync off in the game, you'd see some tearing).

Quarantine
May 21 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Preordered yesterday, started playing today - can't wait for the campaign mode. The missions so far are great fun, challenging, and I have to force myself to stop now to get some work done.

Mavolio
May 21 2011, 04:58:19 PM
Preordered yesterday, started playing today - can't wait for the campaign mode. The missions so far are great fun, challenging, and I have to force myself to stop now to get some work done.

Have you tried the 2 modded mission some guy made? they are p.nice as well!!

Narmio
May 22 2011, 02:52:09 AM
Has anyone here beaten the Impossible mission, the one with all the freighters? I can't figure it out. I've beaten all the others now, but that one is hilariously suicidal.

Surveyor
May 22 2011, 07:30:43 AM
Yes it can be beaten, but 25% is the highest score someone had till now (afaik).
Hint:
[spoiler:2b5ukpq5]You need mapcontrol best achieved with alle the small stuff capturing the objectives.
And if you have control of all objectives the enemie won&#39;t be able to reinforce![/spoiler:2b5ukpq5]

Quarantine
May 22 2011, 01:49:01 PM

Have you tried the 2 modded mission some guy made? they are p.nice as well!!

Just today I finished both of the hard missions, going to try and fail at the impossible now for a while and then download the newer stuff. The modding potential is pretty huge on this one.

Quarantine
June 9 2011, 08:49:29 PM
Good news, apparently Alex has quit his daytime job to work on Starfarer fulltime. Bold move, but I'm sure this will pay off for him in the long run. I suppose we can expect Alpha updates more regularly now, if you haven't given it a try yet it's well worth the 10$ for pre-order.

Narmio
June 10 2011, 01:45:15 AM
Good news, apparently Alex has quit his daytime job to work on Starfarer fulltime. Bold move, but I'm sure this will pay off for him in the long run. I suppose we can expect Alpha updates more regularly now, if you haven't given it a try yet it's well worth the 10$ for pre-order.
That is very cool news. I was going to come by here and ask if anyone knew what progress had been like in the last month or so.

alexm
June 10 2011, 01:56:51 AM
Hi guys :)

Speaking of alpha updates, aiming to release 0.34a tomorrow night, barring any last-minute bugs (doing some release candidate testing as we speak - this is the fun part of supporting 3 platforms).

If you're interested in seeing what's going to be in 0.34a, here (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=24.0) is a link to the patch notes.

For a longer-term roadmap, there's also this blog post (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/05/17/starfarer-roadmap-whats-next/).

Ararius
June 10 2011, 10:35:42 PM
Hi guys :)

Speaking of alpha updates, aiming to release 0.34a tomorrow night, barring any last-minute bugs (doing some release candidate testing as we speak - this is the fun part of supporting 3 platforms).

If you're interested in seeing what's going to be in 0.34a, here (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=24.0) is a link to the patch notes.

For a longer-term roadmap, there's also this blog post (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/05/17/starfarer-roadmap-whats-next/).

This is most interesting!

I finally took the time to download the game, after preordering it awhile ago, but I can't seem to get it to work. I downloaded the installer, put in my registration code, and was all ready to get to playing, but I can't get past the launcher.

First, it takes a long time for the starter to open, and when it does, the area with the dropdown does nothing but change colors from the light blue to black. However, regardless of the color, when I hit the 'Play Starfarer' button, the launcher closes, and nothing happens.

For info purposes, I'm running Win7, and pretty sure my drivers are up to date. If anything ill see if there's a difference with 0.34a!

Excited for the game though!

alexm
June 10 2011, 10:42:11 PM
This is most interesting!

I finally took the time to download the game, after preordering it awhile ago, but I can't seem to get it to work. I downloaded the installer, put in my registration code, and was all ready to get to playing, but I can't get past the launcher.

First, it takes a long time for the starter to open, and when it does, the area with the dropdown does nothing but change colors from the light blue to black. However, regardless of the color, when I hit the 'Play Starfarer' button, the launcher closes, and nothing happens.

For info purposes, I'm running Win7, and pretty sure my drivers are up to date. If anything ill see if there's a difference with 0.34a!

Excited for the game though!

Sorry to hear you ran into trouble! If this still happens, would you mind sending me starfarer.log (it's under starfarer-core/)? Might help to know what kind of machine it is, beyond Win 7 (for example, the minimum screen resolution the game will run at is 1024x768 - which can be an issue for some netbooks).

Hopefully, though, 0.34a will work. Actually, what you're describing sounds similar to a bug that was fixed, except for the "starter taking a long time to open" part.

Quarantine
June 12 2011, 11:12:13 PM
New Alpha has been out for a couple of days. It adds some new ships and missions, including a new Impossible one (easier than Dire Straits though) and some new mission modes. The gameplay depth is further increased, but the larger maps for some reason bump my fps down to 20 fps on my Macbook (on Hard Coral). Apart from that, I'm still impressed and looking forward to the story mode even more :).
Only bug I encountered so far was an Interceptor wing managing to move out of the map boundaries without retreating, can't reproduce it though so I don't know how I managed to send it there.

alexm
June 13 2011, 02:49:51 AM
New Alpha has been out for a couple of days. It adds some new ships and missions, including a new Impossible one (easier than Dire Straits though) and some new mission modes. The gameplay depth is further increased, but the larger maps for some reason bump my fps down to 20 fps on my Macbook (on Hard Coral). Apart from that, I'm still impressed and looking forward to the story mode even more :).
Only bug I encountered so far was an Interceptor wing managing to move out of the map boundaries without retreating, can't reproduce it though so I don't know how I managed to send it there.

Glad you're liking it :)

Fps drop is possibly due to the excessive amount of fighters on that map.

About the wing going outside the map, how far did it go? A little bit (a grid cell or so) is ok, fighters are allowed to do that - the retreat won't happen unless they're actually ordered to retreat. In the previous version, there was a bug when a wing would just go off the map and keep going forever, but afaik that's fixed - so that's why I'm asking.

Quarantine
June 13 2011, 11:37:21 AM
Fps drop is possibly due to the excessive amount of fighters on that map.

About the wing going outside the map, how far did it go? A little bit (a grid cell or so) is ok, fighters are allowed to do that - the retreat won't happen unless they're actually ordered to retreat. In the previous version, there was a bug when a wing would just go off the map and keep going forever, but afaik that's fixed - so that's why I'm asking.

It went to the very bottom left of my screen, about half the map's height out of the battlefield. I think I last ordered it into the corner of the map, then I didn't follow its actions. I've tried around a bit but couldn't reproduce it, maybe they were dodging missiles or fighting something? They responded normally to my orders and returned into the map without problems.

On Coral Nebula my fps are down from the second I load the warroom screen, regardless of the number of ships on the map. I run a 2.66 Ghz Macbook with 4GB Ram, it's the only map with a noticeable drop on fps for me so far. I didn't pay much attention to the exact numbers on the other maps though.

alexm
June 13 2011, 06:13:07 PM
How odd! Thanks for the details, I'll keep an eye out for it. (on both counts)

Nooby
August 20 2011, 09:38:04 AM
New release for those who have pre ordered. link (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/08/19/starfarer-0-35a-preview-release/)

And for those who haven't: Do eet.

Iloni Atoriandra
August 20 2011, 10:46:55 AM
Preordered because a gyrating blondes ass on the internet told me to.

Venec
August 20 2011, 11:00:37 AM
Just tried 35a preview and I must say it's working just as Alex promised; ships in your fleet respect those orders while still thinking for themselves and behaving independently. Pre ptach I was struggling to finish most of the missions as command interface was very demanding and you had babysit your fleet. In "Wolf Pack" up till now my best score was 60% with many freighters escaping, now on first try I blasted entire enemy fleet (with only losing bomber wing) except one lucky and heavily damaged freighter.

Every patch is providing quality content, I have high hopes for future for this game :)

Surveyor
August 20 2011, 11:17:30 AM
What Venec says. New controls need a bit of adjusting but it feels a lot more dynamic.

Mavolio
August 20 2011, 11:35:21 AM
Cant wait for the full version to come out tho i think it might be quite awhile till its out unless dev cheaps out on the campaign.

Surveyor
August 20 2011, 06:03:38 PM
He seems serious on delivering a solid game. And the forums are decent active with a lot of mods/custom mission already!

Renox
August 20 2011, 07:11:08 PM
I can't wait for the world though I guess it will be a while before he gets to that.

Rami
August 20 2011, 07:52:07 PM
4 hours and counting for my key -_- :rage:

EDIT: fixed, got it now.

Pretty lights!

Surveyor
August 20 2011, 08:14:47 PM
They arer usually instant. But BTMirco had some issues which were 'fixed' or at least reported so :(

Blutreiter
September 13 2011, 03:58:40 PM
Any news about this little gem?

Surveyor
September 13 2011, 04:53:35 PM
Alex is still working like a maniac.
Nest release features the fitting screen so some customization is on the way. The 'Campaign'-layer might come sooner then expected (end of this year/very early next).

Here is the link (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=323.msg2722#msg2722)to his up to date changes for the next version.

Blutreiter
September 13 2011, 04:55:17 PM
I might actually have to buy this, from what I read in his blog the past 30 minutes.

Holy shit, want.

Very tempted to actually buy it right here at work.

Mavolio
September 13 2011, 05:05:19 PM
I'm just waiting for the next version to hit then i'm going to buy another copy as its starting to look rly nice!

Surveyor
September 13 2011, 06:54:55 PM
I might actually have to buy this, from what I read in his blog the past 30 minutes.

Holy shit, want.

Very tempted to actually buy it right here at work.

Buy it early, 50% chance you hae to wait up to 5h. It seems to run out of keys or so at times or perhaps MicroBMT just fails xD

Mavolio
September 13 2011, 07:05:04 PM
Buy it early, 50% chance you hae to wait up to 5h. It seems to run out of keys or so at times or perhaps MicroBMT just fails xD

MicroBMT is just rly slow some times i think. It might be because they manually check sales or some thing so its not instant like steam.

Nooby
September 13 2011, 07:14:44 PM
Added ship refit screen:

Refit every ship in your fleet (install weapons and hull mods)
50+ weapons
Available hull mods:
Heavy Armor
Reinforced Bulkheads
Augmented Engines
Auxiliary Thrusters
Expanded Magazines
Expanded Missile Racks
Integrated Point Defense AI
Integrated Targeting Unit
Hardened Shield Emitter
Stabilized Shield Emitter
Accelerated Shield Emitter
Extended Shield Emitter
Advanced Turret Gyros
Advanced Optics

http://image-upload.de/image/61UtJy/5a1ede9af5.gif

Blutreiter
September 13 2011, 08:04:42 PM
Key GET! Ohboyohboyohboy

Redclaws
September 14 2011, 08:21:55 AM
It is pretty good.

The new command system needed some getting used to and I still prefer the old one where I can actually tell stuff where to go.

I'm looking forward to when this battlefield part of the game gets expanded into a strategy or RTS style game.

Venec
October 1 2011, 12:19:10 AM
http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/09/29/whats-next/

The work on the campaign has begun.

Mavolio
October 1 2011, 01:41:23 AM
Rly looking forward to this. All the other Indie titles i've been following have suddenly ground to a halt now their main release is out

Hels
October 1 2011, 01:11:49 PM
http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/09/29/whats-next/

The work on the campaign has begun.

\o/

Constantinus
October 1 2011, 07:19:10 PM
Is that game any good yet?

GiDiYi
October 1 2011, 07:39:28 PM
I just downloaded it and wanted to buy it, but then I saw that the sandbox part is still in development and there are only missions playable at the moment.

So I'll wait a little longer until that part of the game makes it into the version, but I can't wait for it tbh. I just love those games.

Edit: fuck it, I am gonna buy it now.

GiDiYi
October 2 2011, 12:36:50 AM
Addition: I mastered the tutorials. I am so pr0.

going to bed now.

balistic void
October 2 2011, 11:08:41 AM
The combat in this game is much better than Space Pirates and Zombies. The campaign in SPAZ is pretty good, am hoping Starfarer galaxy map/campaign exceeds this as well.

Kilabi
October 2 2011, 06:25:29 PM
Also bought it just because.
Combat is fun. Command UI needs some work tho. At least let me form groups and command them with the waypoint system. Right now it is confusing as hell for a new player.

Surveyor
October 2 2011, 07:46:23 PM
They had this in teh system before and the new one is different but works better for most things. Alex is heavily working on the campaign layer right now (+ custom ship fitting tool), so not much is done on the command interface atm.

GiDiYi
October 3 2011, 12:31:19 AM
It's very likely that I'm having the dumbs: I am in the process of derping myself through the missions and I don't understand the GUI.

How do I give specific orders to specific parts of my fleet? I'd like to click on part of my fleet, announce order, proceed to next one.

Atm it's kinda fishy, because I don't know if the ship that was supposed to get the order acutally got it and not a derping guy in row number 3 is on the run now.

If you know what I mean, my post ain't very coherent.

Blutreiter
October 3 2011, 01:10:59 AM
It's very likely that I'm having the dumbs: I am in the process of derping myself through the missions and I don't understand the GUI.

How do I give specific orders to specific parts of my fleet? I'd like to click on part of my fleet, announce order, proceed to next one.

Atm it's kinda fishy, because I don't know if the ship that was supposed to get the order acutally got it and not a derping guy in row number 3 is on the run now.

If you know what I mean, my post ain't very coherent.
Thats actually intended since the last release.

Previously you gave a ton of direct orders, now you set "objectives" and the most suited ships will try to achieve them. This however can be modified by the ship captains "personality", i.e. an aggressive moron will charge with a small escort ship into a huge dreadnaught if you give an attack order where a scared chickenshit will try to hog patrols and defense orders... which coincidentally makes them much better suited at long range harassment and such...

Welp, the dev made a bigass post about it and it is pretty exciting actually. The aim was to get the player out of the tactical screen and focus more on his own ship, by giving his fleet more decisionmaking potential.

You can still give direct orders which force ships to do stuff, but that uses up "command points".

Ship personality will be much more of a factor when the campaign will be available and you are able to assign crew to ships. IMHO a brilliant change.

Hels
October 3 2011, 08:48:00 AM
Thats actually intended since the last release.

Previously you gave a ton of direct orders, now you set "objectives" and the most suited ships will try to achieve them. This however can be modified by the ship captains "personality", i.e. an aggressive moron will charge with a small escort ship into a huge dreadnaught if you give an attack order where a scared chickenshit will try to hog patrols and defense orders... which coincidentally makes them much better suited at long range harassment and such...

Welp, the dev made a bigass post about it and it is pretty exciting actually. The aim was to get the player out of the tactical screen and focus more on his own ship, by giving his fleet more decisionmaking potential.

You can still give direct orders which force ships to do stuff, but that uses up "command points".

Ship personality will be much more of a factor when the campaign will be available and you are able to assign crew to ships. IMHO a brilliant change.

Concur, awesome.

Quarantine
October 4 2011, 01:19:40 PM
Concur, awesome.

I've been playing 0.35a thoroughly while I was away for a month and while it still needs some tweaks, the new system gives a very authentic feeling of actually being in a battle. You set the objectives and your captains will try their best to achieve them, some will do well, some die a stupid death. It's certainly way more fun than pausing the game every 10 seconds to redirect your ships all over the map, switch back to your ship and do some battling of your own, pausing again etc. What's really lacking is order priority, as currently it appears certain orders outrank others and the AI captains can't do to this by themselves. This includes withdrawing from capturing objectives or fighting a weaker enemy ship to do something else. It's again authentic that sometimes a captain would rigidly follow orders instead of seizing the initiative, but it's certainly frustrating.

I'd say I already got my 10$ of fun out of the alpha alone though, can't wait for the campaign mode.

balistic void
October 4 2011, 01:58:46 PM
Note there are some shortcomings with the interface. If you run out of orders you are fucked, coz the only way to get more orders is to order a ship to go capture a beacon. Will be fixed I suppose by giving you a free order every X seconds or whatever.

Mavolio
December 13 2011, 12:20:30 PM
Most recent patch notes are looking p.good!! If its out soon™ i think i'll even have a break from star wars to give it a go.

Latest changes (as of 12/11/2011)

Campaign mode:

Single star system with several planets, moons
Can engage an enemy fleet, with both sides picking a strategy prior to battle (attack/defend/escape)
Use marines to board enemy ships after battle
Salvage disabled ships and cargo after battle
Cargo management - a single UI to manage fuel, crew, supplies, weapons, marines, and other cargo
Fleet management - control how ships get assigned crews
Refit ships using the weapons that are available
Ships require sufficient crew to be deployed for battle (crew experience not tracked/used quite yet)
Persistent ship damage after battles, including locational armor damage
Combat autoresolve - let your second in command fight the battle, or exit a battle midway through to autoresolve the rest

Weapons:

Missiles with limited ammo (10 for small, 20 medium, 30 large) never autofire - it's pretty much never a good thing when it happens
Changed Assault Chaingun to use animated spinning barrels
Added Heavy Mauler weapon using old Assault Chaingun graphic
Added Heavy Blaster medium energy assault weapon
Added Mining Blaster medium energy assault weapon
Added Thumper weapon - low-tech medium chaingun, rapid fire, frag damage
Added Salamander missile - heatseeking, knocks out engines with a strong EMP pulse

Miscellaneous:

Added two new high tech capital ships - the Odyssey and the Paragon
Improved weapon tooltips in the refit screen
Shift + click increases the rate at which new vents/capacitors are added/removed in the refit screen
Using mipmaps (LOD textures) for smoother zoomed-out graphics and ship icons
New Shuttle graphics (this ship only shows up in the Last Hurrah mission)
Changed message font to be more readable
Improved fighter movement to look more natural
"Strike" assignments now only use fighters and frigates - larger ships are excluded.
Added "Intercept" assignment available on enemy fighters and frigates. Assigns fast, nearby craft. Interceptors are especially preferred. "Harass" (which prefers ships with medium-range weaponry) is now only available on enemy ships of destroyer size and above.
Renamed "flux damage" to "EMP", no longer raises target ship's flux, but ignores armor and disables weapons and engines.
Fixed ship AI bug that was causing it to be a bit too concerned with avoiding collision with a ship it was directly engaging
Some AI improvements re: not firing off too many missiles vs a near-dead target and not using emp weapons against shields
Slightly increased the turn rate of some large ships (Onslaught, Dominator)
Increased the flux capacity of all ships by roughly 50%. Flux dissipation rate is unchanged. The goal is to reduce the frequency (and increase the committment) of venting and give shields a bit more longevity under fire.
Converted Ion Cannon and Gauss Cannon to use standard weapon controls (i.e., left click to fire, instead of hold to charge and release to fire). This wraps up converting all former pulse weapons to the standard control model.
Shift + mousewheel now scrolls through lists very quickly
Added music
Countless other minor improvements

Equium Duo
December 14 2011, 12:32:22 AM
any screenies?

Mavolio
December 14 2011, 02:08:31 AM
not as far as i can tell. Tho i haven't been keeping that close an eye on the forum Alex might have posted some but i just didn't see them.

ValorousBob
December 14 2011, 04:05:49 AM
I loved Escape Velocity: Nova so i'll be keeping an eye on this. I might even pre-order if I can scrape the cash together...

Hels
December 14 2011, 03:30:13 PM
Yay. I just check this past weekend fir new notes too. :D

Surveyor
December 23 2011, 10:39:05 AM
*bump*
Alex posted in his blog again. He has a build with working save/load, fleet/cargo/crew management in a single system. He is working to get a solid campaign mechanic up and running. Aimed release is in January and a demo is planed.

Alex' blog (http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/12/22/battle-plan/)

Ampoliros
February 11 2012, 11:37:46 AM
bumpin' dis awesome thread - new release is expected out on tuesday with the early campaign mode (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=323.msg6897#msg6897) - single star system and some basic campaign mechanics, with more iteration on that to follow in the next few months

very enjoyable game with awesome spaceship exploding; for an indie game it's also very polished and nonbuggy. Definitely worth the $10 pre-order imho.

Mavolio
February 12 2012, 02:54:39 AM
Can hardly wait for Tuesday! i think i'll spend the weekend having a play on the new Stardrive beta as that is shaping up quite nice as well!

Venec
February 14 2012, 05:57:52 PM
Gentlemen. It's here.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2012/02/14/starfarer-0-5a-preview-release/

Nooby
February 14 2012, 06:00:35 PM
Sweet, something to pass the time while the ME3 demo is downloading.
And play all week, of course.

Hels
February 14 2012, 10:59:36 PM
Been up for 24.5 hours now.

Just remembered this was happening today (yesterday).

Not sleeping.

:(

balistic void
February 15 2012, 02:06:34 PM
Played a little bit, iz gud. Recommend spending money to get key.

Must finish work tho :(

Venec
February 15 2012, 04:14:52 PM
Yeah, campaign is not even halfway done and it's already fun.

Nooby
February 15 2012, 04:17:54 PM
I have no idea what I'm supposed to do... Pirates are pretty tough, my ship isn't. Killing those pirates doesn't seem to be a very profitable use of time.

Venec
February 15 2012, 04:24:19 PM
Look for single scouts and gank them. Slowly grind your way to something bigger while learning who you can take on and who you can't. Also, try selling loot from battles (fuel is useless in this build).

Now I have Wolf PD frigate fitted with 3x PD lasers and one huge ass blaster. I can kite and slowly eat up bigger ships (think shitty destroyers) while trolling smaller craft like fighters with my awesome point defence.

Renox
February 15 2012, 04:56:27 PM
Love it but "#% it's tough. Best I did was getting 2... frigates(? those just about fighter) and then losing both in the next battle. I really suck at this game but it's great fun.

Hels
February 15 2012, 05:08:13 PM
Get lucky and start with a Lasher-class. They have three PD machine guns, two assault cannons and missiles. Probably the 3rd best of the frigates. Learn to kite a bit and spam missiles when they flux-lock. Keep grinding and get a second one and you can win many a battle. I've upgraded from just those two to them with the best frigate (the fast as fuck blue one, 26k-ish credits). That thing is so money, you basically nano around, kiting stuff and plink away at enemy armor with your lasers. So baller. Caught me a cruiser (tough bastard) and sold it. Wish I could buy another fast blue guy, dunno if the ships restock at the station. Gonna try to get me a carrier at some point.

Basically it's all about maneuver and timing. Don't spam your missiles when they can get shields up. Flux-lock them and use them as a coup de grâce.

Renox
February 15 2012, 06:28:46 PM
Get lucky and start with a Lasher-class. They have three PD machine guns, two assault cannons and missiles. Probably the 3rd best of the frigates. Learn to kite a bit and spam missiles when they flux-lock. Keep grinding and get a second one and you can win many a battle. I've upgraded from just those two to them with the best frigate (the fast as fuck blue one, 26k-ish credits). That thing is so money, you basically nano around, kiting stuff and plink away at enemy armor with your lasers. So baller. Caught me a cruiser (tough bastard) and sold it. Wish I could buy another fast blue guy, dunno if the ships restock at the station. Gonna try to get me a carrier at some point.

Basically it's all about maneuver and timing. Don't spam your missiles when they can get shields up. Flux-lock them and use them as a coup de grâce.

Is there a good way to capture ships other then making them retreat?

Hels
February 15 2012, 07:01:33 PM

Is there a good way to capture ships other then making them retreat?

I have yet to find a way to capture consistently. I want to say if you can disable them without completely destroying them then you have a better chance, but I really don't know. It might just be pure luck.

Venec
February 15 2012, 07:37:46 PM
Well, someone had to do it:

http://youtu.be/RBnEAItE520

EntroX
February 15 2012, 07:38:06 PM
preordered, gonna play the shit out of it when i get home.

Hels
February 15 2012, 08:18:00 PM

That's the blue one I'm talking about. Shit is so fuckin awesome. I need to capture another one.

Nooby
February 15 2012, 08:24:02 PM

@2:13
Why is it a victory?

Renox
February 15 2012, 09:08:20 PM
The Lasher worked. Great starter ship. Had 3 of them in no time and that can take on a lot. Saved up a bit and sold the lashers buying the blue one in the video instead. Wow... it's much easier to catch stuff on the large map and it's great in a fight. Almost too good as enemies tend to retreat once they run out of missiles to throw at you (which is why it's a win in the video I think). Just beat a pirate armada with 3 destroyers, 3 frigs and 4 fighter groups. They ran out of missiles but I had killed all the small ships anyway so it was just a matter of time.

balistic void
February 15 2012, 11:26:24 PM
Got huge fleet now. I just sit on the pirate base squishing anything that comes out. Biggest ship I have is battlecruiser, supported by loads of heavy fighters (mix of xyphos and the one that fires the white lazors). Can take on and beat anything on the map now. Haven't captured the tritachyon flagship yet, or a battleship. The one time I had a boarding attempt on the flagship I didn't have enough marines >.<

Buy loads of elite crew. Arrange your ships with all your fighters first, then tempest frigates, then your flagship. Tempests with elite crew are insane... I think they get a freaking range bonus, they can easily shoot stuff and dance out of range.

Ampoliros
February 16 2012, 12:17:08 AM
tempests are indeed awesome, i have a wolfpack of three with the engine upgrades and i zip around on the main map at around 390 trashing everything that moves. Best way to get them is to get at least one (buy it, if you have to) and keep killing the tritach raiders (small-sized groups) with only a few other ships with you, preferably other tempests. the default loadout for them is pretty awful so once you can catch them they're pretty easy kills.

Once you get a few, go sell the extras you get at the dock, and you can buy them back later if you need them. Cash is pretty easy to get later on, and your fleet seems to slow down the larger it is, so i prefer to keep it small.

their only weakness is a lack of point defense - watch out for the salamander missiles and the hurricane mirvs (they split when they get close, means they'll get around your piddly little shield and basically oneshot you)

Hels
February 16 2012, 05:12:44 AM
Got me two Tempests now. Been stomping around the map. I wish I could split my fleet then I could roll around killing more stuff in my Tempests and tell everything to hang with the second fleet somewhere safe.

Oh well. Fighters are pretty intelligent as it is now, though I can't see waisting elite crew on them. Is it a huge difference?

Steph
February 16 2012, 06:38:56 AM
I discovered that you can sell your starting ship and flit around in an invisible space pod, and autoresolve a fight and lose, and then get another ship to sell.

Rinsed, repeated, got enough money for a Medusa, picked a fight with a damaged pirate carrier group, captured a carrier.

Now I has a fleet. ^_^

Also I bought a Wolf and refitted it to resemble a Hyperion, ie torpedo racks and AM blasters. It kicks ass.

balistic void
February 16 2012, 02:46:56 PM
Got me two Tempests now. Been stomping around the map. I wish I could split my fleet then I could roll around killing more stuff in my Tempests and tell everything to hang with the second fleet somewhere safe.

Oh well. Fighters are pretty intelligent as it is now, though I can't see waisting elite crew on them. Is it a huge difference?

My fleet that crushes everything is basically loads of heavy fighters + my flagship battlecruiser. The battlecruiser not only provides massive dps but also has a flightdeck.

Mix up the heavy fighters, the different types complement each other. The xyphos has a shield but no PD for example. Some of the others have no shield but 3xpd! And it looks fucking awesome to see all those heavyfighters swarming around target!! Haven't used bombers much yet.... Only need the battlecruisers dps to help bring capitals down.

Hels
February 16 2012, 05:12:53 PM

My fleet that crushes everything is basically loads of heavy fighters + my flagship battlecruiser. The battlecruiser not only provides massive dps but also has a flightdeck.

Mix up the heavy fighters, the different types complement each other. The xyphos has a shield but no PD for example. Some of the others have no shield but 3xpd! And it looks fucking awesome to see all those heavyfighters swarming around target!! Haven't used bombers much yet.... Only need the battlecruisers dps to help bring capitals down.

I took your advice, bought up all the Elite and Veteran crew, and a good stock of regular with just rando extra green to fill in any unforseen gaps. My flagship is obv first and has elite crew then all my heavy fighters, normal fighters and then the interceptors, then the carrier. Basically I ride into battle in the Tempest with the fighters on my wings, spare groups capture points while I race headlong into the enemy. After I get the points I bring in the big boys (rest of the frigs and two Falcons) to seal the deal. Usually they don't even make it to the battle.

So fuckin baller.

Nooby
February 16 2012, 05:24:41 PM
Fighters are overpowered Y/Y

Steph
February 16 2012, 06:16:11 PM
I may have just taken on a Tri-Tachyon battlegroup and captured an Odyssey.

Maybe.

Ampoliros
February 16 2012, 07:54:49 PM

@2:13
Why is it a victory?

guessing the guy making the video cut part of it out, but the AI will recognize you're trying to kite it all over the place and retreat after awhile if it has no way of killing you

Alex, who is the guy programming all this, has evidently fixed it anyway for next patch; you won't get surrenders anymore if your fleet is significantly smaller than the enemy fleet

Mavolio
February 16 2012, 09:38:35 PM
I'm finding it super hard to get a good fleet going because the chances to cap are sooo small i never get a chance to replace my loses. Once i get up to a certain fleet size i cant catch small fleets and the big ones just slowly kill my ships off :(

dpidcoe
February 17 2012, 03:19:53 AM
played for a bit today, baited a large fleet of pirates into a large fleet of friendlies, then ambushed the fleeing pirate capship. I had the option to board it after winning the battle, which I'm sure I clicked, but then it never appeared in my fleet tab after the battle :(

Mavolio
February 17 2012, 03:36:43 AM
It wont appear when you go into combat if you dont have enough crew. Also when you board a ship you need to make sure you have enough marines. They are quite cheap so always keep like 1-200 of them.

Also fixed the problem i was having with my fleet. Now i just get the freighter carrier (as its fast with directional shields) and then just get as many heavy fighters as i can and they own every thing. Also should try the mod that adds the Tri station, makes it a lot easier to get their ships.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=769.0

balistic void
May 1 2012, 08:54:10 PM
0.52a available: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2012/05/01/starfarer-0-52a-release/

Hels
May 2 2012, 11:07:08 AM
It's all kinds of new hard too.

Blutreiter
May 2 2012, 12:33:17 PM
VENI

Nooby
May 5 2012, 11:06:05 AM
The best new feature is that you can refit the ships in the missions now and run simulations against enemies of your choice.

Mavolio
June 13 2012, 01:01:47 AM
new patch notes are out, the new Ship Systems are looking like that will add some nice tactics to the ships. Ramming Onslaught is a go!

Changes as of June 11, 2012

Ship Systems (along with tentative ship assignments):

Flare Launcher - launches flares that distract the guidance systems of incoming missiles and PD weapons. Any missile hitting a flare will be destroyed.
Hound, Dram, Valkyrie, Buffalo Mk.II, Atlas
Active Flare Launcher - similar to the above, but flares lock on to and track incoming missiles
Shuttle, Tempest, Buffalo
Burn Drive - temporarily engages the drive used for system travel. Massive speed boost for a fixed time, can't turn or use shields (but can fire), risk of full engine flameout on significant collision.
Tarsus, Enforcer, Dominator, Onslaught
Maneuvering Jets - activates extra thrusters to greatly improve ship maneuverability (acceleration/deceleration, turn rate, turn acceleration/deceleration)
Falcon, Eagle, Conquest
Fast Missile Racks - rapidly reloads any cooling-down missile weapons
Vigilance, Condor, Venture
Fortress Shield - drastically improves shield efficiency at the expense of a constant flux buildup and inability to fire weapons
Paragon
High Energy Focus - boosts energy weapon damage by 50%, increases damage taken by 50%, can't use shields
Sunder, Aurora, Odyssey
Phase Teleporter - teleports anywhere (to cursor location) within a significant range (~1500 pixels)
Hyperion
Phase Skimmer - teleports a fixed, short distance along the ship's current velocity vector
Wolf, Medusa
Point Defense Drones (high tech) - small, fragile drones armed with LR PD Lasers
Astral
Point Defense Drones (midline) - small, fragile drones armed with Light MGs
Gemini
Sensor Drones - drones armed with ion cannons that also increase the sight radius and weapon range while deployed
Apogee
Accelerated Ammo Feeder - doubles ballistic weapon rate of fire for a fixed duration
Brawler, Lasher, Hammerhead
EMP Emitter - targets missiles and nearby ship's weapon and engine subsystems, dealing a lot of EMP damage (and some energy). Mostly neutralized by shields.
Omen

Balance:

Increased Pilum missile hitpoints
Updated Flux Coil Adjunct hullmod to provide double the capacity bonus
Reduced single-shot Reaper torpedo launcher cost to 2 OP (from 4)
Improved Buffalo Mk.2 speed and maneuverability significantly
Improved Buffalo top speed

Ship AI:

Knows about coasting at a higher speed attained from the zero flux engine boost (or by other means)
Fixed bug that was causing a capital ship with omni shields to overestimate its nimbleness
Fixed bug that caused a ship to think it was venting when its target was (resulting in backing off from venting enemy ships)
Will try to avoid colliding with smaller friendly ships that have their engines disabled
More conservative with strike weapons (such as torpedoes), less likely to waste them on enemy shields
Improved shield AI to be aware of incoming projectiles, even when the weapon that fired no longer seems a threat
Will vent when at relatively low flux, but unthreatened
Improved logic for deciding which side to turn towards enemy for broadsides
Knows about ship systems

Miscellaneous:

Toned down ship explosion whiteout, fixed case where it would stay washed out for too long
Various performance optimizations
Updated weapon tooltip to show sustained flux/second value instead of burst
Optimized weapon code to do less work for weapons that are off-screen
Improved collision checking algorithm to minimize chances of projectiles passing through without doing damage (was only happening when the frame rate dipped)
Bombing runs and fighters firing at a ship while directly on top of it will no longer hit the bounds, but rather other points inside the hull
Missiles can no longer hit the launching ship if they fizzle out, UNLESS they've left the ship's bounds at some point

Controls:

Removed key binding for raising flux on purpose
"F" now the default key for using the ship's system
For drones, F cycles through "recall"/"deploy around ship"/"free roam" modes
"Q" and "E" now bound to strafe left/right without turning

Content:

Added "ECCM Package" hullmod that gives missiles a chance to ignore flares and improves missile tracking and engine performance
Unique icons for every hullmod

Modding-related:

Can now specify custom engine glow color and contrail data (see data/shipsystems/proj/flare_standard.proj for example)
Added new MutableShipStats:
getEccmChance() - chance for missiles fired by ships to ignore flares
getMissileGuidance() - governs improvement to missile tracking AI and engine performance
getSightRadiusMod() - fog of war radius the ship can see through
getMissileRoFMult() - rate of fire multiplier for missile weapons
getBallisticRoFMult() - rate of fire multiplier for ballistic weapons
getEnergyRoFMult() - rate of fire multiplier for energy weapons
Increased rate-of-fire capped at 20 shots/second. Weapons firing faster than that are unaffected.

Fixed some issues with incorrect UI colors being used (wrong color for hangar space bar, crew bar in ship tooltip)
Fixed bug that was causing some very large modded ships to not be properly zoomed out in the refit screen

Bugfixes:

Fixed bug where a ship could be "too good" for a destroyer escort assignment
Fixed flickering issue when fleet was parked directly over the sun
Fixed Sunder variant that went over the flux vents cap
Saved custom ship loadouts designed in missions no longer erroneously show up in the campaign variant manager
Fixed bug that caused some animations to not be properly cleaned up after every battle
Fixed accident chance erroneously showing up from being over capacity hangar space
Fixed bug where hullmods would not be applied when a ship is refitted for a mission
Fixed bug where burst lasers could still use up charges by trying to fire while the ship is overloaded/venting
Fixed bug that resulted in incorrect "current" weapon being shown in weapon picker (refit) dialog after an undo

Accipiter
June 13 2012, 11:57:55 AM
Bought, is good, me = terribad. If they put me in that fast starter frig I will just spin around in circles without hitting everything, in the blaster ship they will just lol-kite me. Finally won a fight or two, then couldn't figure out how to make a boarded cruiser my new flagship. Sold the frig, then the cruiser was raped by some Vagabonds. Will surely get better when I did the tutorial and know what to do. It reminds me of Pirates! in some aspects which is one of my all time favs.

Nooby
June 13 2012, 12:56:40 PM
I suggest you run some simulations against different kinds of enemies. You learn a lot from that.

Accipiter
June 13 2012, 03:10:23 PM
Still those fast movers (which should be your first targets, scouts and stuff) will just kite the two slower starters to death due to their added rather mid-range weapons. The missiles are also not that much of a help? Those 2x salvos end up dying to flak fire or just get outrun by a scout. Haven't found a way to deal with this yet.

edit: Nevermind, just found out that those ships you get after you die are not really combat ships. Rerolled a new game and doing fine in my screen wide shooting frig...

Mavolio
June 13 2012, 07:42:37 PM
Every time you start again you just get a random frig. Not 100% sure which ones you can get tho. Some are a lot better than others tho.

Mavolio
July 10 2012, 06:06:52 AM
New blog is out with some info on Phase Cloaking. Its looks quite good but it will be interesting to see if the AI can handle it.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2012/07/09/the-evolution-of-phase-cloaking/

I wonder when he will start work on the campaign side of the game.

Mavolio
July 26 2012, 06:46:26 PM
New patch notes out for this. Cant wait for some of the new system stuff to be out its looking like its going to be rly good with how phase works as well as some of the other ship specials. There are some very nice mods for this now as well well worth having a look if you had this.

This version is not out yet - this is just a list of changes made/new features implemented so far in the development build.

Changes as of July 24, 2012

Admiral AI:
Knows to engage enemy fire support ships when they become a significant danger

Ship Systems:
Fortress Shield: generates hard flux but allows soft flux dissipation while it's on, allowing ship to take a "breather" in combat when its flux is high from weapons fire
Maneuvering Jets: removed cooldown, added flux cost

Content:
New mission: "Ambush" - showcases phase ships
Added phase ships to some Tri-Tachyon and independent fleets
Phase ship hulls available for sale at Tri-Tachyon HQ
Omen hulls available for sale at Tri-Tachyon HQ
New ship: Mule-class Combat Freighter (screenshot)
Added to some Hegemony, Pirate, and Independent fleets
Available for sale at the Hegemony Orbital Station

Modding-related:
Removed redundant "API" suffix from some functions in the Global class
Added createFleetMember() method to Global.getFactory()
Greatly expanded CampaignFleetAPI and FleetMemberAPI (thanks for bugging me about it and putting together a list of methods, LazyWizard)
Cost to activate/keep on the phase cloak is now set per ship, in ship_data.csv ("phase cost", "phase upkeep" columns - expressed as fraction of ship's base flux capacity)
Added following methods to MutableShipStatsAPI:
getPhaseCloakActivationCostBonus()
getPhaseCloakUpkeepCostBonus()

Miscellaneous:
Ship tooltip now shows phase cloak info (if applicable)
Ship tooltip shows what active system a ship has
Upgraded to LWJGL 2.8.4
Fortress Shield and Phase Cloak apply sound effect filter when on

Bugfixes:
Fixed ship AI bug where it wouldn't fire any weapons in an alternating group if the total flux cost to fire all weapons in the group was too high
Fixed bug where fighters with a weapon that regenerated charges would go back to refit when charges ran down to 0

Steph
August 4 2012, 07:56:52 AM
New patch is live. Phase ships are in. Ship special systems are pretty cool, I was having fun berserker-charging around with my Onslaught's Burn Drive system.

Nooby
August 4 2012, 08:07:08 AM
Agreed.

Phase systems are hilarious. (unless you're on the receiving end)

Calgus
April 15 2013, 03:05:01 PM
Bought this on a whim as it was recommended as a game similar to Mount n Blade. Can definitely see the comparison, on the surface a simple game but a great deal of mod potential and depth.

Will probably spend way too much time playing it just like M&B.

Blutreiter
April 15 2013, 03:17:08 PM
I am still eagerly awaiting the next version release, as the dev is going to overthrow the whole meta with a new set of mechanics that will be used for proper fleet mechanics in a long-term game instead of the mock system that he currently implemented for free play.

Apparently frigates will sport decaying performance over time, so frigs will not be able anymore to endlessly solo-kite huge capitals. And a bunch of other really nifty stuff, like a completely overhauled engagement system.

Calgus
April 15 2013, 03:34:57 PM
I am still eagerly awaiting the next version release, as the dev is going to overthrow the whole meta with a new set of mechanics that will be used for proper fleet mechanics in a long-term game instead of the mock system that he currently implemented for free play.

Apparently frigates will sport decaying performance over time, so frigs will not be able anymore to endlessly solo-kite huge capitals. And a bunch of other really nifty stuff, like a completely overhauled engagement system.

Decaying performance? I assume over the one battle rather than over the life of the ship? Intredasting.

Mona
April 15 2013, 04:06:00 PM
It's Starsector now.

Blutreiter
April 15 2013, 04:24:52 PM

Decaying performance? I assume over the one battle rather than over the life of the ship? Intredasting.

Yep. There will be something like Combat Readiness, which boils down to having enough ammo for rearming, basic plumbing all over the ship and simple wear and tear on the engines, if the crew is overworked or well rested and alert and so on and so forth... now, if you have a ship that enters battle, the CR value will drop. So if you continuously abuse a single ship over and over again in a short timeframe, the ship will start to underperform and below a certain level of CR, the ship will not start with full ammo, the speed and target leading will suffer... at some point, there might also be random malfunctions happening in a worst case scenario - now keep in mind that this is completely seperate from the health, or hull condition, if you will. Now... frigates go into combat basically on overdrive and they are usually not crewed enough to sustain their CR factor in the middle of an engagement, so frigates and perhaps certain other ships will actually degrade DURING combat, as opposed to after combat.

Now how all this will work out, I am not sure yet, but I would highly recommend reading the past 2 or 3 dev blogs on the homepage. The stuff he is talking about reads like pr0n to me.

All this is to introduce more logistics and strategy into the game. I am pumped.

balistic void
April 15 2013, 06:05:49 PM
I've sworn off this game until he puts a proper campaign in, that 1 system gets boring after a while.

Victoria Steckersaurus
April 15 2013, 06:23:08 PM
Just discovered this thread, where can I get teh game and is it still only $10?

Mona
April 15 2013, 06:43:57 PM
Just discovered this thread, where can I get teh game and is it still only $10?

http://fractalsoftworks.com/preorder/

CastleBravo
July 8 2013, 08:56:57 PM
Cool mod that adds a bunch of other factions/ships/weapons and then creates a dynamic warfare system where the factions fight for control of various stations.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6053.0

Surveyor
July 8 2013, 09:22:30 PM
Best one (my opinion): http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=642.0

Total conversation that allows to brawl because weapons deal less damage and ships can brawl a lot. Few instant kill weapons and a feeling like BSG.
I hope .6 hits soon, the forum so far hinted at a lot of great changes :)

Venec
July 9 2013, 10:37:02 AM
Shame this game is yet another overambitious project like Dwarf Fortress that won't be completed in any foreseeable future :(

Renox
July 9 2013, 10:41:32 AM
Shame this game is yet another overambitious project like Dwarf Fortress that won't be completed in any foreseeable future :(

True, but I've already gotten more than my money worth from it. Would dearly love to see it finished though.

Calgus
July 9 2013, 11:40:55 AM
Cool mod there Bravo. A nice step in the right direction and by right direction I mean Mount and Blade IIINNNN SPAAAACE

Blutreiter
September 14 2013, 01:32:09 PM
For everyone who still remembers this, the new big overhaul is finally finished after 8 months.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/

feature rip from the blog:

- Hyperspace, a new star system, and a new faction
- Complete combat sound overhaul
- New campaign battle mechanics – use of travel drive to enter the battle space, a new battle type for chasing down escaping ships
- Reworked logistics system
- “Combat readiness” used to deploy ships into combat
- “Logistics rating” combines fleet points and other supply-consuming expenses
- New logistical support ships – Construction Rig, Ox-class Tug
- Campaign UI overhaul – takes advantage of higher screen resolutions, displays more pertinent information while traveling
- Improved fighter mechanics
- Adjustable battle size
- A ton of modability improvements

...to roughly describe it. It's time to get cracking and start boarding gentlemen.

Surveyor
September 14 2013, 03:03:39 PM
Waited so long for it :D GJ Alex!

balistic void
September 14 2013, 03:17:11 PM
Hhnnnghhhh downloading..

This release is focused on the interaction between battle and campaign layer it says.... awesome! Only one new star system in this release but this is what will make the game epic eventually.

Calgus
September 14 2013, 04:10:30 PM
Alrighty then, will commence download. I assume a mod which allows the conquering of stations is out.

Mount n blade in spaaaaaaaaaaace

Mavolio
September 14 2013, 04:24:03 PM
Best part about this release is that all the mod teams have been holding off on developing any more till it was out. Cant wait to see all the new content in a few weeks!

Only one new star system in this release but this is what will make the game epic eventually.

Modding community in this is quite good wouldn't be shocked if they added a few more quite quickly.

lubica
September 15 2013, 10:27:32 AM
Bought this and I'm fucking terrible (nbs), is it just me or is holding own Lshift all the time the only way to actually fucking hit anything?

Kilabi
September 15 2013, 10:38:05 AM
What does Lshift do? ^^

I am also terribad at this. Need to spend some more time with it tho.

lubica
September 15 2013, 10:47:24 AM
What does Lshift do? ^^

it's used for strafing and switches aiming to mouse instead of A and D

Venec
September 15 2013, 10:54:39 AM
Good update, maybe he will finish it afterall.

Kilabi
September 15 2013, 01:07:05 PM
What does Lshift do? ^^

it's used for strafing and switches aiming to mouse instead of A and D

Okay got that on always on or something. Will have to check again but right now I can´t imagine playing any other way. ^^

Cool09
September 16 2013, 04:57:13 PM
Played this quite a bit on the weekend.

Got the high-tech battlecruiser (the tri-tachyon one that costs 180k) and earned an extra 300k credits. Every time you use it you spend hundreds of supplies getting it back to combat ready status. God forbid it gets a scratch on it's armor. So I tried mothballing it, then using it only when I needed it. Well that doesn't work since when you mothball something it goes to 0% combat ready. So you have to bring it up to ready status again which takes ~35k worth of supplies.

So basically that thing is only worth it if you have an atlas freighter worth of supplies following it around, and your targets are multiple capitol fleets or the like.

Vorkash
September 16 2013, 05:00:14 PM

Got the high-tech battlecruiser (the tri-tachyon one that costs 180k) and earned an extra 300k credits. Every time you use it you spend hundreds of supplies getting it back to combat ready status. God forbid it gets a scratch on it's armor. So I tried mothballing it, then using it only when I needed it. Well that doesn't work since when you mothball something it goes to 0% combat ready. So you have to bring it up to ready status again which takes ~35k worth of supplies.

So basically that thing is only worth it if you have an atlas freighter worth of supplies following it around, and your targets are multiple capitol fleets or the like.

So just like real capital ships then?

evil edna
September 16 2013, 05:03:51 PM
looks shit

Jack Coutu
September 16 2013, 06:32:13 PM

Real capital spaceships?

Vorkash
September 16 2013, 08:29:25 PM

Real capital spaceships?

No, real capital ships as in those that have existed on this planet for more than century.

Unless of course you think Battleships and Aircraft Carriers aren't expensive to maintain and don't require supply ships to keep them operational.

Cool09
September 16 2013, 09:42:06 PM
If you want to get "realistic," I doubt that real life capitol ships consume their entire worth in supplies in a matter of days.

I started another game so this time around I'll try to have logistics ready beforehand and see if I can make it profitable.

Venec
September 16 2013, 10:54:07 PM
>capitol

I'm not a grammar nazi, but seriously guys. It hurts.

Mavolio
September 16 2013, 11:12:18 PM
The economy hasn't been implemented yet. In the future you may be able to create wealth without having to be a pirate, thus making it possible to live of 100% brought supplies. Or maybe there might be a way to make your own supplies so you don't need to steal/buy them all.

I believe mods in the past had AI miner fleets that could create supplies for your faction. Lots of great things are possible but will take a while.

Cool09
September 16 2013, 11:17:11 PM
Since you are so clearly not a grammar nazi I'll leave the error there.

Vorkash
September 17 2013, 12:10:55 AM
If you want to get "realistic," I doubt that real life capitol ships consume their entire worth in supplies in a matter of days.

I started another game so this time around I'll try to have logistics ready beforehand and see if I can make it profitable.

A fair point. In Star Sector though you are pretty much constantly in combat, far more than any historic comparison. I imagine if real world capital ships were in a similar state of action they would burn through their supplies just as quickly.

I'm not being argumentative I just actually quite like the strain on supplies that the capitals suffer in the game. Kind of cool if you have to have a supply ship with a fleet to keep it going.

Steph
September 17 2013, 12:24:53 AM

Not in a matter of days of basic operation, no. But as someone who's spent three months this year up close and personal with warship supplies and spreadsheets detailing how much they cost, let me assure you that something like, say, a Victoria-class submarine could easily expend upwards of a few million dollars in spare parts if it had to perform major repairs at sea.

Which is what you're doing in Starsector. You're performing extensive repairs to capital ships out of drydock. You can only carry so much stuff, even if your only limiting factor on cargo capacity is thrust-to-weight ratios.

It's also worth remembering that Starsector is set at the tail end of a technological dark age. Orbital manufacturing facilities are implied to use some kind of nanotechnology in their operation, but no one actually knows how to sit down and build a starships. The shipyards and factories are largely autonomous; all anyone knows how to do is install blueprints, shove in raw materials, and then do some basic tab-A-in-slot-B assembly of the fabricated parts. The Hegemony doesn't use Onslaughts as their mainstay because they enjoy battling Tri-Tachyon with outdated tech; they use them because Tri-Tachyon has a fucking stranglehold on late-epoch capital ship blueprints that would make Sir Molle weep.

Cool09
September 17 2013, 12:38:41 AM

Not in a matter of days of basic operation, no. But as someone who's spent three months this year up close and personal with warship supplies and spreadsheets detailing how much they cost, let me assure you that something like, say, a Victoria-class submarine could easily expend upwards of a few million dollars in spare parts if it had to perform major repairs at sea.

Which is what you're doing in Starsector. You're performing extensive repairs to capital ships out of drydock. You can only carry so much stuff, even if your only limiting factor on cargo capacity is thrust-to-weight ratios.

It's also worth remembering that Starsector is set at the tail end of a technological dark age. Orbital manufacturing facilities are implied to use some kind of nanotechnology in their operation, but no one actually knows how to sit down and build a starships. The shipyards and factories are largely autonomous; all anyone knows how to do is install blueprints, shove in raw materials, and then do some basic tab-A-in-slot-B assembly of the fabricated parts. The Hegemony doesn't use Onslaughts as their mainstay because they enjoy battling Tri-Tachyon with outdated tech; they use them because Tri-Tachyon has a fucking stranglehold on late-epoch capital ship blueprints that would make Sir Molle weep.

I haven't gotten it below 99% HP, so not extensive repairs at all. Just routine combat readiness is taking a huge toll. A Victoria class costs over 200 million dollars. There's no way it would go through 200 million in routine maintenance costs.

LORE ASIDE: My comments were not saying that in a "real" situation the capitol would not expend vast quantities of supplies. Of course it would. It's a fucking capital spaceship. My comments were about my experience trying to keep the thing afloat in the game, which was frustrating to say the least, when you are trying to turn a profit.

Hels
September 17 2013, 12:58:36 AM

I haven't gotten it below 99% HP, so not extensive repairs at all. Just routine combat readiness is taking a huge toll. A Victoria class costs over 200 million dollars. There's no way it would go through 200 million in routine maintenance costs.

LORE ASIDE: My comments were not saying that in a "real" situation the capitol would not expend vast quantities of supplies. Of course it would. It's a fucking capital spaceship. My comments were about my experience trying to keep the thing afloat in the game, which was frustrating to say the least, when you are trying to turn a profit.

Fighter wings are worse on supplies.

I had to dock up my Astral+fighter bros cause it was just so expensive to maintain. Would rather just run around in Tempests and Medusas and eat shit alive that way. Plus shooty shooty ships are more entertaining.

Surveyor
September 17 2013, 05:03:35 AM
But Alex did a good job with the changes tbh. Game feels very different and i hope the modders are quick to pick it up. I even played it for 8h instead of GTA V :shock:

Redclaws
September 17 2013, 07:35:52 AM
He's tweaking the supply costs for high maintenance ships :)

I also hope a modder will add some fleet diversity. So many different ships and only a few being used by the ai.

Hels
September 17 2013, 10:19:53 AM
They need more fleet types with various weights of ships. I feel like that used to be a thing.

balistic void
September 17 2013, 03:34:47 PM
Lots of non-obvious stuff in this release, took me a while to cop. Notice the Ox class tug, very important to bring a few - they will boost the speed of your slowest ship. This way you can have a battlecruiser and still cruise around at burn level 8. Without tugs you are stuck at 4!

Also very important to bring some freighters if you actually want to pick up any loot.

Hels
September 17 2013, 04:02:40 PM
Lots of non-obvious stuff in this release, took me a while to cop. Notice the Ox class tug, very important to bring a few - they will boost the speed of your slowest ship. This way you can have a battlecruiser and still cruise around at burn level 8. Without tugs you are stuck at 4!

Also very important to bring some freighters if you actually want to pick up any loot.

My current pro-as-fuck fleet:

3 Hyperions, 5 Tempests, 2 Medusas + support freighter/tanker/tugs

So much firepower. Just stomping enemy fleets, even if they are all destroyer and above. Basically chews through all the small guys and then just wears down the big ones with overwhelming firepower.

So OP. I fly one of the Medusas and alpha shit off the map (looking at you Buffalo Mk IIs).

Mona
September 17 2013, 04:22:20 PM
But Alex did a good job with the changes tbh. Game feels very different and i hope the modders are quick to pick it up. I even played it for 8h instead of GTA V :shock:

Master Race indie space game vs peasant's tripple A open world five nonshocker.

alcibiades
September 17 2013, 06:26:27 PM
So just saw this thread for the first time, game is worth getting I assume? Sounds pretty interesting, but how does it age after a couple of days?

Surveyor
September 17 2013, 07:34:21 PM
To give you a hint: i bought it when it came out and played roughly 20 hours vanilla + endless time in different mods. And with every new release it gets better. And since .6(4a (?)) i spend more time playing Starsector than GTA (which is cool but has no space ships). So far the basic game can get boring but the modders for this are active and get a lot of help from the dev Alex.

tl;dr: If you ever preorder a game this is a one where you get your money out of it :)

Kilabi
September 17 2013, 07:50:55 PM
I pre-ordered long ago. Just waiting for them to get a proper campaign in before I play myself to death. ^^
Everything I tried so far was awesome.

Surveyor
September 17 2013, 07:56:03 PM
Campaign isn't in yet, but a lot of the core mechanics, so you will have to wait (for a mod to pick them up). But tbh: we got multiple systems and combined with the previous mods there should be a lot of new time in here :D