PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Megathread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Helfix
April 9 2011, 08:23:38 PM
So yeah to continue where I left off, thinking of upgrading my phone to a smart-phone. I don't want to change my carrier as verizon is pretty cool for me so far...

What I've looked at is Iphone, thunderbolt, fascinate, droid x

From all of those I'm sort of leaning for the iphone/thunderbolt....

The thunderbolt is pretty cool, its basically a evo4g with few added things, but what worries me is reports of battery being sapped in like 4-5 hrs of usage....

Helpz :(

Captn Iglu
April 9 2011, 08:31:44 PM
take the htc desire hd - its just the best freakin smart phone on the market, iphone has better screen resolution but u really cannot see the differences. the touchscreen with andoird as operating system is way faster than the iphone and with htc widgets and stuff its way better to work with.
the size is one thing that most peps are scared of, but i woould say its perfect. it fits in nearly every pocket, and for email writing the screen is just big enough (could be a bit bigger ;)
battery is also ok, a little bit too small for an smartphone but i can go with it almost 2 and 1/2 days. and htc is going to bring new ones out soon.

so htc desire hd >>> all for me

Equium Duo
April 9 2011, 08:52:53 PM
The HTC desire is awesome, and the HD version is just better.

Laundry
April 9 2011, 09:29:58 PM
When is the iphone 5 supposed/rumoured to be released?

WasahB
April 9 2011, 09:32:07 PM
Seconding the Thunderbolt's shitty battery... a friend got one the other day, hasn't stopped complaining about it since.

However, I'm waiting for one of these :D

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/08/verizon-w ... hots-leak/ (http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/08/verizon-wireless-droid-incredible-2-shots-leak/)

Played with the GSM version in Taiwan a few weeks ago... pretty nice, though my only hesitation is whether I should wait for a dual-core phone :o

re iPhone 5, heard its not gonna be announced in June but rather September vOv

Sofia Roseburn
April 9 2011, 09:49:04 PM
My Desire HD's battery seems to be dropping quite quickly. I'm wondering whether it just needs a couple of charges to get to full capacity, or whether it's just :welp:.

mjukis
April 9 2011, 10:08:02 PM
The iPhone 5 is RUMORED to not be coming out this summer at WWDC, apple hinted as much in their invite to the conference but no one really knows. Likewise the invitation hinted at iOS5 not coming until later this year as well. I have talked on the phone today for like 5 minutes, sent a couple of texts, checked my mail and rss feeds. In 12 hours I've gone from 100% battery to 96% on my iPhone 4.

mjukis
April 9 2011, 10:20:42 PM
The iOS app list.

***** GAMES *****

ABOVE
ANGRY BIRDS
BEJEWELED
ELISS
CRITTER CRUNCH
CUT THE ROPE
CANABALT
CHAOS RINGS
DROP7
DARK NEBULA
DEEP GREEN
FRUIT NINJA
EDGE
ESPGALUDA II
KOMETEN
MONDO SOLITAIRE
PEGGLE
PIX'N LOVE RUSH
ROLANDO
SOLIPSKIER
STAR DEFENCE
STRATEGERY
SHIBUYA
SUPER QUICK HOOK
SPACE INVADERS INFINITY GENE
SPIDER: SECRET OF BRYCE MANOR
SWORCERY
THE INCIDENT
TOPPLE 2
TILT TO LIVE
TINY WINGS
PLANTS VS ZOMBIES
PERFECT CELL
ROBOT UNICORN ATTACK
INFINITY BLADE
FOX VS DUCK
FLIGHT CONTROL
FIELD RUNNERS
FRENZIC
ZENBOUND
OSMOS
ONE-DOT ENEMIES
WORDFU
WURDLE
WORLD OF GOO

***** MUSIC *****

PANDORA RADIO
RDIO
SPOTIFY

***** VIDEO *****

AIR VIDEO
NETFLIX
IMOVIE

***** PHOTOGRAPHY *****

EVERYDAY
CAMERA+
HIPSTAMATIC
PHOTOGENE
CAMERABAG
INSTAGRAM
FLICKR
POSTAGE
THE GUARDIAN EYEWITNESS
MILL COLOUR
PHOTO FX
PRO HDR

***** SOCIAL NETWORKING *****

TWITTER
FACEBOOK
***** NEWS *****

FLIPBOARD
REEDER
NPR

***** PAINTING *****

BRUSHES
LAYERS

***** REFERENCE *****

IMDB
WOLFRAMALPHA
TIKI+
COCKTAILS+
ARTICLES
BARISTA
RATIO
THE ELEMENTS
SOLAR SYSTEM
THE PHOTO COOKBOOK

***** PRODUCTIVITY *****

BENTO
EPICWIN
ELEMENTS
EVERNOTE
DROPBOX
DIALVETICA
FILEMAKER
CALVETICA
INSTAPAPER
SIMPLENOTE
OMNIFOCUS
NOTESY
THINGS
KEYNOTE REMOTE
TEXTEXPANDER

***** FINANCE *****

MONEYBOOK

***** BUSINESS *****

SCANNER PRO

***** UTILITIES *****

EGO
FIND MY IPHONE
ROWMOTE
SCREENS
1PASSWORD
PCALC
BATTLE.NET MOBILE AUTHENTICATOR
CANNED SMS
CALCBOT
PASTEBOT
CONVERTBOT
CONSUME
DELIVERY STATUS TOUCH
FAVORITES - SPEED DIAL
GLYPHBOARD ( http://mrgan.com/gb/ )
SATURATION
WEIGHTBOT
WORD LENS
EVERY TIME ZONE ( http://everytimezone.com )

***** HEALTHCARE AND FITNESS *****

RUNKEEPER PRO
KINETIC - ACTIVITY TRACKING
SECONDS - INTERVAL TIMER

Helfix
April 9 2011, 10:24:36 PM
Seconding the Thunderbolt's shitty battery... a friend got one the other day, hasn't stopped complaining about it since.

However, I'm waiting for one of these :D

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/08/verizon-w ... hots-leak/ (http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/08/verizon-wireless-droid-incredible-2-shots-leak/)

Played with the GSM version in Taiwan a few weeks ago... pretty nice, though my only hesitation is whether I should wait for a dual-core phone :o

re iPhone 5, heard its not gonna be announced in June but rather September vOv

Yeah for the bold part. It's what i've looked into quite a bit and reports are varying...Some get 3-4hrs others get 4-6 and others get the 7+hrs. But from majority of reports it's in the 3-6hr range for the battery. Which seems ridiculous for the phone. Not to mention I find it disturbing that they are selling a battery with 2x the power for extra $50 but included a under-powered one for TB from start.

I am really liking the specs of the TB as it's like Evo4g, but the battery is scary. So I might wait and see how the Bionic is in a 1-2 months time :(....I could also be a real dick and just buy a droid x now, mess with it for 20-30 days, return, exchange it for a fascinate(galaxy s), mess around for same time then return it and try the bionic :).... I wonder if that would work...

@Sophia, how heavy do you use your phone and how long does the battery last you?

Pattern
April 9 2011, 10:55:45 PM
48 hour battery on the iPhone... Just sayin.

GF's about to sell her HD desire, it's the third one she's had on RMA (dropped calls, shitty battery and a bunch of other bugs) - I honestly don't get what you all see in that piece of junk... Oh well.

Spawinte
April 9 2011, 11:00:56 PM
I have a DHD and I agree with the slightly under capacity battery (it gets better after a number of charges but still not great). Sunlight readability is woeful due to having a bog standard LCD screen but thats not an issue often enough to complain.

Helfix
April 9 2011, 11:13:51 PM
Sigh this whole smart-phone thing is starting to piss me off :(....I think I might just wait the extra month and see what comes out...

Galaxy S II, Bionic, and bunch of others are coming to verizon in may so not long of wait, in the mean time I might get a something to mess around with and return it within 30 days of their policy if I don't like it....

WasahB
April 10 2011, 08:07:58 AM
Sigh this whole smart-phone thing is starting to piss me off :(....I think I might just wait the extra month and see what comes out...

Galaxy S II, Bionic, and bunch of others are coming to verizon in may so not long of wait, in the mean time I might get a something to mess around with and return it within 30 days of their policy if I don't like it....

I'm in the same boat :[

Fuck verizon tbh, they always take forever to get new phones out... but I can't leave them because they're the only telecom that gets signal near my house...

Helen
April 10 2011, 08:38:31 AM
Know quite a few people with the DHD, myself included who haven't had any major issues with them bar the battery life being crap.
But then my expectations were always low going from an old Nokia 3330 (two weeks battery life!) to a fucking huge phone that doubles as a game machine/video player/camera etc.

Lorkin Desal
April 10 2011, 10:49:30 AM
My Desire HD's battery seems to be dropping quite quickly. I'm wondering whether it just needs a couple of charges to get to full capacity, or whether it's just :welp:.

It dosent get any better. My friend has a Desire HD and it needs charging at least 2 times every day.

Personally I have the Desire Z. Less power, yes, but battery lasts a couple of days and it has a keyboard for me to use with my fat fingers.

The Monkeysphere
April 10 2011, 12:51:42 PM
The "old" classic Desire seems to be the best tbh, if it only looked better than it does.

Anyway, I'm perfectly content with mine for ages now, although at some point I should update from CM 6.1.1 to a Gingerbread build. Then again I've still not heard if they've managed to make it suck less battery than 6.1.1, which is a point where the older ROM seems to excel.

Frools
April 10 2011, 01:00:11 PM
It dosent get any better. My friend has a Desire HD and it needs charging at least 2 times every day.

Personally I have the Desire Z. Less power, yes, but battery lasts a couple of days and it has a keyboard for me to use with my fat fingers.
this is all about usage and signal strength and has very little to do with the phone itself
the Z and HD have almost exactly the same hardware and battery, the differences cant amount up to more than an hour or 2 i reckon

if you're having real problems with battery life try forcing it to 2g mode only and see what happens

also theoretically the Z should have best battery life out of the desire family
45nm underclocked processor will draw less power and the battery is only marginally smaller

Mashie Saldana
April 10 2011, 01:30:25 PM
Flash 10.2 is a good reason to not go iPhone.

Using the Google Nexus S myself, charging it every 3 days or so.

Sirrush
April 10 2011, 02:06:33 PM
Right, my phone contract will be up for renewal pretty soon, but I have no idea which phone to get. Paying 32/month or so atm (including internet) and that's pretty much the upper limit on what I want to spend on it per month, nor do I want to pay massively up front for a phone (a tenner or so is fine, but nothing retarded).

Two phones have sort of caught my eye, but idunnolol, LG Optimus 2x and the Galaxy S. wat do?

Desire HD is out of my price range at 45/month.

Raine Woot
April 10 2011, 08:19:02 PM
new job means I can finally get my first smartphone in the coming month or so. I want an android phone of some kind, is there a few top contenders that I should pick from? So far see Galaxy S, Nexus S, HTC Desire (HD?), maybe others. I'm on AT&T atm, may consider switching if it means a better deal or the best choice of phones.

edit: also I haven't heard much of anything about windows 7 mobile, is it just as shitty as previous versions? being able to openly put pirated music/movies/books on the thing and have them all work is the most important thing for me, along with using it like a usb flash drive and internets browser.

edit edit: just seen the Atrix 4G and it looks awesome, dual core with biometric scanner to unlock yes please.

Mashie Saldana
April 10 2011, 09:49:33 PM
new job means I can finally get my first smartphone in the coming month or so. I want an android phone of some kind, is there a few top contenders that I should pick from? So far see Galaxy S, Nexus S, HTC Desire (HD?), maybe others. I'm on AT&T atm, may consider switching if it means a better deal or the best choice of phones.
Wait until May and get the Samsung Galaxy SII, it can record and play 1080p and has HDMI out.

It is also that hardware that some kind of EVE client was demoed on during fanfest.

Booley
April 10 2011, 09:59:55 PM
I'm actually really liking my HTC HD7. Windows phone 7 may not technically be as god as iOS or android, but it hasn't caused me any problems for casual every-day usage. My only issue is there's no pandora app for it yet.

CrzyLgs
April 10 2011, 10:29:46 PM
Not sure where to post this but this seemed like a good a place as any.

Recently i was shopping around for a sim only PAYG deal, and i stumbled across a little community ran independent network called GiffGaff (they piggyback on the O2 network!). they have no telephone contacts all support is done online through the forumz + contacting 'agents' basically uber geeks from the community who have some sort of admin skills.

Basically i wanted a few free mins each month, unlimited txt + unlimited internet - atm got a pretty shitty handset but will buy a smartphone soon.

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/crzylgs

Referal linky for the greater good!

Basically they do something called 'GoodyBags' u pick one and top up, all done online, through an account admin panel. For 10 a month i'm getting 250mins, unlimited txts + unlimited internet. Plus i ported over my old number - all went totally smoothly on the day it was meant to :)

More questions send me a PM, or jsut check out the website - its pretty self explanitory :)

Enjoy!

Nauplius
April 10 2011, 11:07:40 PM
I'm actually really liking my HTC HD7. Windows phone 7 may not technically be as god as iOS or android, but it hasn't caused me any problems for casual every-day usage. My only issue is there's no pandora app for it yet.

In EVE my primary ship is an Inquisitor.

In the real world, my primary phone is a WP7 phone (Samsung Focus).

What do an Inquisitor and WP7 have in common? They are both oddball, contrarian choices that aren't as bad as people think they are.

(Of course, some might respond with, "Yeah, but they're still pretty bad". But we don't have to talk to those people).

DracheK
April 11 2011, 01:45:33 AM
I wound up getting an HTC Inspire, which from what I understand, is roughly the same as a Desire. I fucking love the damn thing. So long as I leave wifi and mobile network data off, I get about 2 days of battery life. With wifi on constantly it's about 1 day.

As others have said, Android with touch interface is just plain slick. It's quick and quite user friendly. The Android Market may not have the seething mass that the iPhone has (yet), but it's got some great apps, if those are deal critical to you.

Helfix
April 11 2011, 04:48:51 AM
I think after some reading the Galaxy S II looks like pretty sweet thing to get once it's out on verizon.....But here is the kicker, seems there are lot of rumors floating about that verizon will introduced tier data plans, going down from unlimited unless you already had it before change.....Sigh...so might mean I might have to get a smartphone and grandfather that shit in and then change it when Galaxy S II comes out or the Bionic, but I hope they do that only after iphone 5 comes out :V

The Monkeysphere
April 11 2011, 07:59:54 PM
So CM7 is finally official, still not convinced I should update my Desire tbh :/

I like my battery as it is tyvm

mitthrawn
April 11 2011, 08:13:00 PM
So CM7 is finally official, still not convinced I should update my Desire tbh :/

Do it! And tell me if it's any good! :P

Yot
April 11 2011, 08:21:21 PM
I've been using a blackberry bold for a couple years and it's about time to upgrade. I'm with AT&T now, but I'd switch carriers for a better phone. I want something that runs android, but I'd like to have a physical keyboard, I'm not a fan of touch screen only with the amount of typing I do on my phone.

I haven't been keeping up on the latest in phones and don't really know where to even start looking, halp?

Frools
April 11 2011, 08:22:39 PM

a) battery life is the same
b) nandroid means THIS IS NO BIG DEAL JUST FUCKING RESTORE IF YOU DONT LIKE IT
c) stop being a weeping vagina

M'buku
April 11 2011, 09:23:44 PM
Hmmmmm what to do.
My O2 contract is up for an upgrade. Currently on SIM only. Still have 12 months left on my Orange contract with my original Desire. Absolutely love my desire I asked Orange to unlock it for me and I currently have an Orange SIM and an O2 SIM in at the same time via a Simore dual SIM adaptor (http://www.simore.eu/en/Dual_SIM-205-Infinite.php)
I can get the new Desire S with O2 on a 12month contract for an extra fiver a month. Thought about the Desire HD but I don't really need the 4.3 inch screen and battery is a bit crap. The Desire S has the newer 2nd gen Snapdragon in it so the battery lasts way longer than the original and the aluminium unibody is sexy.

Do I or do I not get the Desire S to tide me over for 12 months till my next Orange upgrade?

Frools
April 11 2011, 11:04:58 PM
desire s has the same cpu as the desire hd which is more like a 1.5gen snapdragon
its a really tiny upgrade from any of the refreshed desire line (ie HD/Z)
biggest difference for you will be the much increased internal storage, so you'll p much be able to install any and all apps you want without worrying about running out of space

htc pyramid is going to be the phone to upgrade to from HTC imo
higher res screen, proper 2nd gen snapdragon (dual core) etc

mandrill
April 11 2011, 11:13:59 PM
So. I've got a budget of about 150 and am looking to get a smartphone as I'm sick to the back teeth of my stupidphone.

Pay as you go, not fussed as to provider.

Reccommendations please

M'buku
April 11 2011, 11:29:44 PM
Will wait for the Pyramid then.
As for cheap smart phones you can pick up an HTC Wildfire for about 150.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Dark Flare
April 12 2011, 02:55:21 AM
idk what you're all doing to your batteries, my Desire reliably does 30-50 hours depending on how long I stay up in bed reading the internet (was 5am last night what the fuck is wrong with me)

EntroX
April 12 2011, 03:00:07 AM
any tinfoil on the loliphone5 yet?

mjukis
April 12 2011, 03:32:04 AM
any tinfoil on the loliphone5 yet?

The original rumor said end of apples financial year (that would be september). Apples WWDC invites hinted at there being no new hardware/software being released at the event.

Frools
April 12 2011, 09:40:52 AM
Will wait for the Pyramid then.
As for cheap smart phones you can pick up an HTC Wildfire for about 150.

looks like the Pyramid has been outed as the HTC Sensation as the retail name :)

Stoffl
April 12 2011, 09:50:10 AM

a) battery life is the same
b) nandroid means THIS IS NO BIG DEAL JUST FUCKING RESTORE IF YOU DONT LIKE IT
c) stop being a weeping vagina

depending on the radio rom required to use CM7 battery life might even improve / shouldn't be worse than a stock sense rom.

Stoffl
April 12 2011, 09:54:44 AM
idk what you're all doing to your batteries, my Desire reliably does 30-50 hours depending on how long I stay up in bed reading the internet (was 5am last night what the fuck is wrong with me)

Theres a bug with stock sense roms resulting in the CPU being used when phone should go to sleep, usually fixed by enabling "USB Debugging".

Also retards gonna be retards and need Facebook/stockmarket/news/emails push syncs keeping the phone alive 24/7, lol100% brightness and a google maps live background.

*edit*
As an example, we've got a Desire Z user who claims his battery is dead after 3 hours.......

Hebad

SilentWinter
April 12 2011, 09:56:20 AM
i'm installing CM7 stable now on my nexus s, i used both RC2 and 3 before and i never had any problem, i use the netarchy kernel btw, it make quite a difference on the battery life, don't know if it's available for the desire tho

mjukis
April 12 2011, 10:05:50 AM
72 hours since full charge, 3 hours of usage: 63% battery life.

M'buku
April 12 2011, 10:45:14 AM
I r confused. Is the sensation the UK if US retail name. I read some specs for it and there's also the evo 3d. Is that a different handset or the US version of the pyramid?

Frools
April 12 2011, 11:00:55 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/12/htc- ... -1-2ghz-d/ (http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/12/htc-sensation-leaked-by-vodafone-4-3-inch-qhd-slcd-and-1-2ghz-d/)
UK Retail name i think
Evo 3d is same specs except with stupid 3d gimmick. its a different handset entirely

both will be good, i'd expect the evo to be more expensive due to lol3d tho

M'buku
April 12 2011, 12:27:03 PM
Do want! I wonder how long other will take for O2 to get them in. Only reason I'm grabbing an O2 handset is because I can get it free on the 12month staff plan. I can always unlock it root it and flash CM7 to it.

Frools
April 12 2011, 01:07:02 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/12/htc- ... ay-and-th/ (http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/12/htc-sensation-4g-official-1-2ghz-dual-core-qhd-display-and-th/)
lots of details for this coming out today

cliffs: mid-may release but a couple of weeks earlier on vodaphone

Pattern
April 12 2011, 03:17:07 PM
HTC, 20 different phones and at a glance I can't quite tell one from the other. Didn't the handset designs appear more distinctive from one another a year or two ago? Annoyingly, there most distinctive phones are the lower tiered ones (eg legend, salsa(lol)) - everything else seems like a reskined HTC HD or HTC Mozart.

Still recommending Nexus S - no one I know who owns one has had many issues with it.

Sensation/Pyramid (3d sense lol) or maybe Atrix (lolmotoblur) - the choice between HTC Sensation vs Samsung Galaxy S 2 vs LG Optimus 2X vs Motorola Atrix vs Xpira Arc might as well be decided by a toss of the coin at this point.

mjukis
April 12 2011, 04:30:23 PM
There's an app (or rather a phone) for that (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/04/two-years-after-buying-pure-digital-cisco-ditches-the-flip.ars).

M'buku
April 12 2011, 04:43:00 PM
I really like the sense UI. It's one of the reasons I never bothered rooting and flashing. But yeah I guess HTC do kinda have a theme going on with their top end handsets. It's ok if you're like me and enjoy the look of them.
Right now I'm proper excited about getting my hands on the sensation.
I've got nothing against the iPhone or ios other than after having tried it for a while along with windows phone 7 it just didn't feel right. Sense just feels natural and intuitive to me.

mjukis
April 12 2011, 05:01:09 PM
Where have we seen this (http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/11/windows-app-store/) before?

Sofia Roseburn
April 12 2011, 05:09:46 PM
Where have we seen this (http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/11/windows-app-store/) before?

It's quite surprising how Microsoft can take a concept and make it really fucking ugly. Jesus christ, and I thought the Android market was bad.

Frools
April 12 2011, 05:13:09 PM
that article is fucking retarded

OMG INTERFACES DESIGNED FOR THE SAME PURPOSE LOOK MUCH THE SAME, OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE ALL RIPPING OFF APPLE DERPYDERP :psyduck:

The Monkeysphere
April 12 2011, 07:33:45 PM
So I recorded a track while cycling using My Tracks. I now wish to measure the distance, speed etc between some points on the track. How do I go about doing this?

e: I also uploaded it on gmaps/can open it on g. earth obviously :razor:

Helen
April 13 2011, 10:21:30 AM
So I recorded a track while cycling using My Tracks. I now wish to measure the distance, speed etc between some points on the track. How do I go about doing this?

I'd be interested in this too.

Frools
April 13 2011, 05:17:03 PM

my desire z has now been unplugged 53 hours
it has 49% battery left

just sayin...

mjukis
April 13 2011, 06:01:59 PM
104 hours since full charge, 4 hours of usage, 48% on my iPhone 4. derp.

edit: oh yeah, resized to not be massive.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1394115/tilt.png

Ryas Nia
April 13 2011, 06:07:14 PM
guess things are different for people who use their phones, you know for calling and talking to people, and checking email and stuff...

Im lucky if my Evo lasts a full day :(

mjukis
April 13 2011, 08:09:45 PM
guess things are different for people who use their phones, you know for calling and talking to people, and checking email and stuff...

Im lucky if my Evo lasts a full day :(

I guess 40 minutes on my phone a day just isn't enough.

Pattern
April 14 2011, 01:35:18 AM

my desire z has now been unplugged 53 hours
it has 49% battery left

just sayin...
I shouldn't go there, but I can't resist.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0xXJnJU2hdA/TP7KoCDqmYI/AAAAAAAAAew/ZS3vvSBjw0I/s1600/text-forever-alone.jpg

Bit of a difference between +5-7 hours usage and 48 hours between charges standard and forgetting your phone behind the couch over the weekend. (jk - I always wondered why it was so heavy/thick. Also Nexus S is actually pretty good with battery life too, see my recommendation a few posts ago.)

Edit: Looking at the reviews, lots of peeps seem to be complainin about the desire Z's battery?

Frools
April 14 2011, 01:44:19 AM
most of my sms messages are nagios notifications :((((

no but srsly i usually charge every 3 days with like 30mins of calls, couple dozen texts and a few hours of browsing in that time
i am not running a stock phone tho, its overclocked (1.4ghz from 800mhz stock, forced to 245 mhz with screen off tho), undervolted, on wifi with 3g disabled most of the time
if i turn on 3g mode it will die in about a day despite mostly using wifi for data

battery life figures are all so fucking anecdotal though and vary wildly with signal strength and exact usage its barely worth reporting them at all
reading any xda rom thread is enough to tell you that, every other post will be OMG THIS ROM HAS HORRIBLE BATTERY LIFE, 0% IN 3 HOURS and then the next one will be AMAZING BATTERY LIFE, WENT 2 WEEKS WITHOUT CHARGING OMGOMG

ps, 60 hours 39%

Pattern
April 14 2011, 01:59:20 AM
So basically unless your a dev, only use your phone 1 hour a day and turn 3g off your going to have shit battery. Good to know.

Frools
April 14 2011, 02:04:08 AM
:roll:

Dark Flare
April 14 2011, 02:14:45 AM
And yet Pattern accuses others of fanboi-ism and hating on the other team?

57 hours between last two charges on my stock Desire, incl. 1.5hours of calls, a shittonne of texts, ~3hours of web browsing.

Pattern
April 14 2011, 02:26:56 AM
And yet Pattern accuses others of fanboi-ism and hating on the other team?
Fanboism is when you forget to mention why your battery lasts 3 times longer than standard in a dick-measuring contest. (For a second there, I was actually quite impressed by the size of Frools dong)

57 hours between last two charges on my stock Desire, incl. 1.5hours of calls, a shittonne of texts, ~3hours of web browsing.
*bullshit*
How often are you task killing? How dim is your screen? What version of android are you running and how many other things are you doing to consciously nurse your battery life because in most cases, you'd be lucky to get anywhere near +36 hours

Android phones are pretty popular, I even know some people with Android phones now and the amount of whining... :psyduck:

For everyone else, when you hear peeps talk about there desire X lasting +60 hours, please take it with a grain of salt. Avoids utter disappointment down the line.

Helen
April 14 2011, 07:20:21 AM
According to most reports task killing actually has a negative effect on battery life when using Android.

Wait never mind once an Apple fag always an Apple fag. :popcorn:

Stoffl
April 14 2011, 07:45:14 AM
[quote=Dark Flare]And yet Pattern accuses others of fanboi-ism and hating on the other team?
Fanboism is when you forget to mention why your battery lasts 3 times longer than standard in a dick-measuring contest. (For a second there, I was actually quite impressed by the size of Frools dong)

*bullshit*
How often are you task killing? How dim is your screen? What version of android are you running and how many other things are you doing to consciously nurse your battery life because in most cases, you'd be lucky to get anywhere near +36 hours

Android phones are pretty popular, I even know some people with Android phones now and the amount of whining... :psyduck:

For everyone else, when you hear peeps talk about there desire X lasting +60 hours, please take it with a grain of salt. Avoids utter disappointment down the line.[/quote:1aygh4gg]

Easily getting 48hours+ on my desire hd, which has worse battery life then desire.

LRN2CONFIGPHONE

60hours is possible if you use flightmode while sleeping.

Frools
April 14 2011, 12:09:15 PM

73 hours 37% now
you dont need to be as drastic as using flightmode, i would never do that

pattern you dont have to be 'a dev' to do what i've done with my phone, you just need to be competent
im not an android dev, i have never written an android app, i dont have the sdk installed, i havent even looked at the sdk
everything i've done with my phone (bar the initial rooting operation) can be done via market

my phone is OVERCLOCKED, this makes battery life WORSE
i do have a profile to force minimum clockspeed with screen off but this doesnt really affect much, i only do it because i got battery raped on holiday with my desire vanilla (lolandroid2.1+sense) once
there was a bug where the email sync got stuck when i went into a no signal area and kept cpu on and in use for ages killing my battery
so i set this profile to make sure that doesnt happen again

the 3g thing is the single biggest problem with battery life, i set 2g mode when i am on wifi
i'd love there to be an option to do this automatically in CM or android itself, but there isnt and im too lazy to use tasker or whatever to automate it

theres no doubt android battery life isnt as good as iphone generally, but its far from shit or useless

my dad has had a Hero for a few years now, totally stock wont let me root it for him or anything
only complaints he has are because orange are shit and keep dropping calls :derp:
otherwise he loves it
:anecdotes:

Spawinte
April 14 2011, 12:15:17 PM
I get a full day out of my DHD no problem. @ ppl getting 48+ hours are you sure you even need a smartphone because it sounds like you're just keeping it on standby in your pocket for 2-3 days.

M'buku
April 14 2011, 12:19:48 PM
If you're going as far as using flight mode while you sleep why not just turn it off while you sleep?

Frools
April 14 2011, 12:22:27 PM
I get a full day out of my DHD no problem. @ ppl getting 48+ hours are you sure you even need a smartphone because it sounds like you're just keeping it on standby in your pocket for 2-3 days.
try turning off 3g mode for a couple of days, if it doesn't double your battery life i'd be slightly surprised

mjukis
April 14 2011, 12:40:13 PM
My use is to me medium/light in my opinion. When had just bought the phone I'd still handily last a full day, but obviously games and constantly fucking with the phone kills battery life. I think the "need" factor is very low on smartphones, unless you are a developer who makes money from selling software on that platform. Do you REALLY need to be able to check your mail when you're outside? Unless you're responsible for the million dollar contract I doubt it. Checking in on facebook surely is a real necessity. It's very much a luxuary item.

Typical use: mail/rss/weather/photography/todos (and the regular phone stuff). When I'm away from the computer I might read an instapaper article or two. On occasion (ie when I new level pack for Cut the Rope comes out) games. I prefer to check my RSS feeds on my phone now since I bought Reeder, that thing is amazing.

Stoffl
April 14 2011, 01:04:17 PM
If you're going as far as using flight mode while you sleep why not just turn it off while you sleep?

Because then the alarm clock doesn't work.

Yes, android is terrible like that. :///
Didn't want that RTC anyways...

Stoffl
April 14 2011, 01:05:08 PM

73 hours 37% now
you dont need to be as drastic as using flightmode, i would never do that

Was talking about 60hours with 3g enabled, unless you're sleeping. :)

Pattern
April 14 2011, 01:21:47 PM
You lot really should have stuck to the whole "At least I can change batteries" stuff from 2010. Just sayin.

48 Hours Plus -5-7 hours of of usage refers to before life *before* LRN2CONFIGPHONE. But whatever. :popcorn:

Stoffl
April 14 2011, 01:25:26 PM
And i know multiple people with an iphone who have to charge their phone every day, your point being ?

Pattern
April 14 2011, 01:32:48 PM
And i know multiple people with an iphone who have to charge their phone every day, your point being ?
They clearly enjoy using their phones instead of LRN2CONFIGPHONE?

SilentWinter
April 14 2011, 01:37:35 PM
the 3g thing is the single biggest problem with battery life, i set 2g mode when i am on wifi
i'd love there to be an option to do this automatically in CM or android itself, but there isnt and im too lazy to use tasker or whatever to automate it
are you still using 2.1? i have android 2.3.3 and CM7 and when i turn on the wifi connection it automagically turn off 3g (and turn it back on when it lose wifi signal oc)

this holy war about who have the bigger battery is really retarded btw :popcorn:

Pattern
April 14 2011, 01:48:46 PM
this holy war about who have the bigger battery is really retarded btw :popcorn:
Re-read the first page of the thread. :lol:

Stoffl
April 14 2011, 02:09:28 PM
After re-reading 1st page:
Like I've said earlier in the original SHC thread, there was a bug in desire hd stock firmware version responsible for very short battery life.
It's still a solid device.

Still don't get what you're trying to say, I thought we've allready established why the "lolIphone has much better battery life hurrdurr" argument isn't valid ?

*edit*

Oh, and to correct an error from 1st page: It's right that the desire Z draws less current then a Desire/Desire HD, but it also has a bigger battery than the Desire HD(not same size)

Pattern
April 14 2011, 02:27:32 PM
Still don't get what you're trying to say, I thought we've allready established why the "lolIphone has much better battery life hurrdurr" argument isn't valid ?
We have?

theres no doubt android battery life isnt as good as iphone generally, but its far from shit or useless

And that wasn't even the crux of the matter. The issue I had where you lot passing off these figures of +50 hours life time as standard fair, where in actuality, realistic usage (because peeooople are de dumb and don't know anything about LRN2CONFIGPHONE) is no where near that much and was pretty misleading.

Lallante
April 14 2011, 02:43:13 PM
So:

HTC Sensation (aka Pyramid)
OR
Samsung Galaxy SII

WAT DO?

Stoffl
April 14 2011, 02:50:19 PM
@pattern

:?

Iphone 4 battery: 1420mAh
Desire HD: 1230mAh
Desire: 1400 mAh
Desire Z: 1300 mAh

Desire HD battery life is obviously the werst of those 4 since it has the biggest screen, fastest CPU and, somehow, the smallest battery.
:lolHTC: :/
Now, with some basic tweaking(up2date firmware, sensible sync settings) or maybe even advanced tweaking(undervolted kernels, flashing more recent radio roms which reduce 2g/3g battery drain, smartass CPU governor and so on) you can get very decent battery life out of all desire variants.

It's a :nonshocker: that the iphone 4 in the hands of a herpderp user get's slightly better battery life, simply because of the hardware specs and the aforementioned bug(s) in htc 2010 stock firmware versions.

Pattern
April 14 2011, 03:07:28 PM
So basically, in a round about way your saying that for most people (see herpderp), the iPhone 4 has better battery life because of none buggy software and better hardware? :psyduck: Surprised you didn't mention how evil steve jobs doesn't let herp derps do whatever they like on there devices or fake multitasking or something.

@Lallante
Sensation will probably be a better put together phone, Samsung wins on specs but the differences in performance are meaningless for most people.

Stoffl
April 14 2011, 03:12:54 PM
No, Im saying the iphone 4 has slightly better battery life than *some* 2010 desire HD's/Z's in the hands of a herpaderpa-user.
And lol at the part where you try to sneak in that the iphone has better hardware. ;P
The battery is slightly bigger, the hardware overall is worse.

Not everyone was affected by the sw issue, not every mobile phone provider is useless and still hasn't rolled out the OTA updates, and so on, there's lots of factors involved.

Dark Flare
April 14 2011, 04:51:15 PM
[quote=Dark Flare]And yet Pattern accuses others of fanboi-ism and hating on the other team?

*bullshit*

For everyone else, when you hear peeps talk about there desire X lasting +60 hours, please take it with a grain of salt. Avoids utter disappointment down the line.[/quote:ntgh2k02]

I don't task kill, my screen is 50% brightness indoors, 100% outdoors, 20% overnight. Running 2.2 atm. Only other things I do to conserve battery is I turn off mobile internet connection when I'm not using it, and I turn of WiFi overnight.

Frools
April 14 2011, 04:57:33 PM
are you still using 2.1? i have android 2.3.3 and CM7 and when i turn on the wifi connection it automagically turn off 3g (and turn it back on when it lose wifi signal oc)

no im running CM7, if i have 3g mode on and wifi connected it still uses a 3g connection for calls/sms etc
the 3g icon in the statusbar disappears because its using wifi for data but the 3g radio is still powered up and connected and raping ur batteries

if you check about phone -> status in settings you can see the mobile network type, in 3g mode that wil read UMTS/HSDPA even if wifi is connected
switch to 2g mode and it will change to GPRS

pattern.... :roll:

lall: sensation imo but theres very little between them

mjukis
April 14 2011, 06:05:10 PM
Remember kids, flash (http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/04/14/flash-android-mcallister) doesn't suck it's just that jobs is a cockmongler.

Sofia Roseburn
April 14 2011, 06:16:04 PM
Speaking of different kernels, is there anything out there that helps with the battery life and works with CM7? As much as I am ok charging my phone every night, every little helps.

Frools
April 14 2011, 06:26:26 PM
check xda android development forum for your phone
the cm kernel is p good tho

orcane
April 14 2011, 07:02:06 PM
This thread reminded me why I used that GM script to rename Pattern on SHC. Can you be more of a tool please?

Ryas Nia
April 14 2011, 08:49:02 PM
dont make me really mod this thread :( no personal attacks, the iPhone has a huge fan base, massive application support and may fit some peoples lifestyle better.

Lets keep away from personal attacks and keep this constructive if you want to shit post do it in general chat :P

Hast
April 14 2011, 08:57:33 PM
if you want to shit post do it in general chat :P

Helfix
April 15 2011, 12:52:29 AM
hmmmmmmmmm seems lot of rumors going around now (sites i visit for phone reviews) that the bionic might be getting the can :(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! le sigh

WasahB
April 15 2011, 09:09:20 AM
hmmmmmmmmm seems lot of rumors going around now (sites i visit for phone reviews) that the bionic might be getting the can :(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! le sigh

I almost had a heart attack
Internet rumors are the werst

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorol ... post820420 (http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-bionic/53609-release-date-20.html#post820420)

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/14/ru ... cancelled/ (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/14/rumor-has-the-droid-bionic-been-cancelled/)

tl;dr until Moto steps in for official statement, I think the Bionic should still be on track

mjukis
April 15 2011, 09:13:18 AM
It's unfair (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/9456798.stm), leave RIM alone.

Helen
April 15 2011, 09:19:24 AM
if you want to shit post do it in general chat :P

Poor Hast.

Spawinte
April 15 2011, 11:02:51 AM
dont make me really mod this thread :( no personal attacks, the iPhone has a huge fan base, massive application support and may fit some peoples lifestyle better.

Lets keep away from personal attacks and keep this constructive if you want to shit post do it in general chat :P

Apple fag spotted :P

Serious post now. I put CM7 on my DHD last night. Pretty damn good once you get used to the interface. Gonna leave 3g on all day and see what battery life I get but its already looking good.

mjukis
April 15 2011, 11:08:53 AM
144 hours standby, 7 hours of use. 10% left.

Pattern
April 15 2011, 11:36:11 AM
144 hours standby, 7 hours of use. 10% left.
Could you post what you do to get your iPhone to last that long? :popcorn:

Dark Flare
April 15 2011, 12:40:44 PM
Probably has 6 batteries that he changes between when they empty.

Pattern
April 15 2011, 12:51:52 PM
Didn't know you could do that with iPhones.

Stoffl
April 15 2011, 01:07:07 PM
http://fastmac.com/images/iv/charge_bluray_iv.jpg

Helfix
April 15 2011, 01:23:35 PM

I almost had a heart attack
Internet rumors are the werst

http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorol ... post820420 (http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-bionic/53609-release-date-20.html#post820420)

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/14/ru ... cancelled/ (http://www.droid-life.com/2011/04/14/rumor-has-the-droid-bionic-been-cancelled/)

tl;dr until Moto steps in for official statement, I think the Bionic should still be on track

Yeah they are hahah, that guy you linked from android central, said same thing yesturday about the phone cancellation, but seems to have gotten some new info saying "verizon might be doing the dumb" so means he is not sure and is going to confirm today....which means my phone choices are down to TB/Incredible 2/Galaxy S II

Lallante
April 15 2011, 02:37:28 PM
What about HTC Sensation/Pyramid?

Dark Flare
April 15 2011, 03:11:34 PM
I didn't know I was supposed to be giving serious suggestions :V

Helfix
April 15 2011, 03:32:24 PM

If you are referring to me, Verizon wont have a version of the Sensation until Q4 or so of this year according to phone review sites.

The Monkeysphere
April 15 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Anyone? derp, would really love this

Pattern
April 15 2011, 09:19:32 PM
[quote="Dark Flare":szxb4wuh]Probably has 6 batteries that he changes between when they empty.
I didn't know I was supposed to be giving serious suggestions :V[/quote:szxb4wuh]
I was honestly curious to know what mjukis did to get 6 days of battery life. And i'm also tired of people passing off epic phone battery life stats without context. Feel free to contine the epic fandroid apologists Schick if you must however.

mjukis
April 16 2011, 12:52:05 AM
The battery gave out. I rarely if ever use 3G, my brightness is set at about 30% with autoadjust set to on (I find that if I'm outside and need the extra brightness the phone does a fine job at punching it up). Wifi is on, but it does not ask to join new ones it finds.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1394115/battery.png

Dark Flare
April 16 2011, 02:44:12 AM
And i'm also tired of people passing off epic phone battery life stats without context. Feel free to contine the epic fandroid apologists Schick if you must however.

Your response to me posting my battery life:

*bullshit*

:monocledowns:

RazoR
April 16 2011, 03:28:02 AM
sup guise

http://www.syfyanimo.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Nokia_1201.jpg

:razor:

Week+ battery life, fuck yeah.

Hast
April 16 2011, 08:41:28 AM
Pattern: umad? chill

Helen
April 16 2011, 09:51:31 AM
Go away for a crazy weekend I take old Nokia 3330 and don't worry about A) losing expensive phone and B) battery life.

The Monkeysphere
April 16 2011, 12:05:48 PM
[quote="The Monkeysphere":13f6ex48]So I recorded a track while cycling using My Tracks. I now wish to measure the distance, speed etc between some points on the track. How do I go about doing this?

Anyone? derp, would really love this[/quote:13f6ex48]

Found the perfect app for this: http://www.endomondo.com/

Supports all platforms, GPS and pulse watches, you get good graphs with time/speed etc and you can also enter shit like swimming and rowing. Looks pretty awesome for keeping track of one's workouts as you get pretty much everything covered (you can just enter '1h of swimming in x technique', which is boss).

random example off the front page: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/9088444

edit: you know what's also great? you can do this retrogradely as well by importing your old activities from My Tracks 8-)

EntroX
April 16 2011, 11:51:15 PM
i get about 2-3 days between charges on my iP4, i am jailbroken and i do have plenty of shit running so i have no clue what you faggots on about.

wifi is on when i am stationary (home, work, etc) 3g is always on and i have the brightness on auto adjust, running 4.1 jb'en with limera1n

sup Ryas~

mitchypoos
April 17 2011, 01:11:50 PM
i get about 2-3 days between charges on my iP4, i am jailbroken and i do have plenty of shit running so i have no clue what you faggots on about.

wifi is on when i am stationary (home, work, etc) 3g is always on and i have the brightness on auto adjust, running 4.1 jb'en with limera1n

sup Ryas~

Your experience sadly is rare. I've sold maybe 500 ip4's since launch and the general feedback is 'charge everyday' or get caught short the next morning. (ofc these are not jailbroken/running 3rd party)

mitchypoos
April 17 2011, 01:23:53 PM

Looks like they have taken a whole new approach with the casing for this one, which is great since the desire HD case is terrible. the battery cover on mine broke three times, and its prone to scratching on the rear around the camera port really easily (seems sunken on the sensation so thats good). If they are using the same materials this might be something to watch out for.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_sensation-pictures-3875.php

The phone itself ofc is lovely specs wise and will be a world leader in terms of performance like most of the recent htc stuff. also nice to see a slightly more compact design, my hd is way too wide and in jeans quite annoying. (find myself swapping the simcard into a slimmer phone quite often).

The only advice I would give is to sit tight and take a look at the galaxy II before jumping. http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3875&idPhone2=3621

EntroX
April 18 2011, 03:34:59 AM

sup Ryas~

Your experience sadly is rare. I've sold maybe 500 ip4's since launch and the general feedback is 'charge everyday' or get caught short the next morning. (ofc these are not jailbroken/running 3rd party)

of course i am not a fucking moron and will not admit that i do have to charge it once a day sometimes, if not more, but on average it does last me 2-3 days.

the "lolfuckingcharge" days are usually me using a voip softphone via vpn on 3g while out of the office or fixing shit up via SSH/rdp and shit, but on the regular texting, reading/replying emails (i have 8 accounts set up, on 30 min refresh since i do have a BB for work too) using my gps app (copilot) and the odd browsing (actually a lot)

i do of course have every single method known to man to recharge it on the go, i guess its part of the joy of working for a multinational company that deals with cellphone marketing/logistics so i have plenty of battery boosting cases, car chargers, solar powered chargers (i actually lol'd hard when they gave me one), etc.

speaking of batteries, it surprises me how the battery on the BB torch lasts at least 3 times longer than on my old 9700 :psyduck: (i use them just as much, if not more now)

Raine Woot
April 19 2011, 10:09:10 PM
still planning on getting the Atrix friday or soon thereafter, will get a special discount from work and I like everything I've read about it except the meh motoblur UI and the pentile display.

draws are the sheer power (lol dual core tegra, 1gb RAM) and storage (16gb internal, microsd slot), qHD resolution (960 x 540), hueg battery, accessory dealies (may get the media dock in the future in lieu of media center pc if short on cash) and an update to honeycomb later this year. Looks like it'll take non-market acquired apps once rooted as well. I'm sure something better will come out in the near future, but for me this is more than enough for a first smartphone.

WasahB
April 19 2011, 11:24:52 PM
Droid Bionic delayed until summer :psyduck:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/19/motorola- ... s-changes/ (http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/19/motorola-delays-droid-bionic-until-summer-makes-changes/)

Is it worth it to wait, or just get the Samsung Galaxy S II?

I think the major point that I'm debating is whether LTE costs extra monthly...

Helfix
April 20 2011, 02:41:27 AM
Well, they will probably announce when they are going to tier the unlimited data plans,

But as for the wait on bionic no idea, as I am still looking around for a smartphone as well, and if it gets pushed to Q3 it's bit too long of a wait for me :/

Stoffl
April 20 2011, 07:58:54 AM
Got my desire hd back yesterday :companioncube:

But it came with 1.75 fw and a new radiorom, so getting Revolution HD 3.5 ROM back on was :effort:.

3mA current drawn in standby fuck yeh

mitchypoos
April 20 2011, 12:00:17 PM
speaking of batteries, it surprises me how the battery on the BB torch lasts at least 3 times longer than on my old 9700 :psyduck: (i use them just as much, if not more now)

On paper the 9700 should out perform the torch in battery terms it has a bigger battery capacity and a smaller screen, but ofc battery performance depletes overtime so that could be part of it, I'm tempted to say that software optimisations in os.6 is the main reason though. I know that rim put a huge amount of time into making that lovely browser :)

Sudden
April 21 2011, 07:21:08 AM
Finally got my upgrade so I could dump my Blackberry. Didn't see HTC Desire as an available choice so went with Droid X v0v. Big screen is big

Pattern
April 21 2011, 11:09:56 AM
For UK fag's choosing network service providers...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13156156?

M'buku
April 21 2011, 11:20:07 PM
No surprise about Talk Talk.

Raine Woot
April 22 2011, 10:40:46 PM
Postan from the atrix, it's pretty awesome tbh.

edit: holy fuck, this thing got 100% better when I figured out how to get rid of all those fucking widgets

Edit: oh god I can't put this thing down. Also swype is the best thing ever.

Hast
April 23 2011, 10:16:27 PM
The battery on my desire has started getting really hot when the phone is used and it drains really rapidly. :(

Edit: turns out it was just a shitty app that caused it

M'buku
April 25 2011, 10:59:31 AM
After using the stock sense ui clocks for the last year I decided to try beautiful widgets.

OMG Why did I not try this sooner? :o

Stoffl
April 25 2011, 12:00:44 PM
Really worth the 2 ?

M'buku
April 25 2011, 02:24:59 PM
Yeah I think so. But then I find it :effort: to sideload a free .apk

There are literally tonnes of clock, weather, battery and on/off themes to choose from and being able to customise what app loads when you touch the clock/weather etc is awesome.

The Monkeysphere
April 25 2011, 06:35:41 PM
TBH this is even better and you don't need to pay/pirate it

M'buku
April 25 2011, 06:46:59 PM
Did you forget a link?

The Monkeysphere
April 25 2011, 07:33:46 PM
Yes :D

http://www.appbrain.com/app/simi-clock- ... bsimiClock (http://www.appbrain.com/app/simi-clock-widget/com.th.android.widget.gTabsimiClock)

Stoffl
April 27 2011, 07:02:58 AM
FUCK YOU HTC,

earpiece still has a loose contact and I've got to endure another 2 repair attempts until I can legally demand replacement from the seller. :evil:

Helfix
April 29 2011, 12:35:35 AM
Anyone has a clean ESN, working smart-phone from verizon like Facinate, incredible, droid x, even a Iphone etc etc used for sale that they havent sold yet???

I just want to get one so I can grandfather in before they tier their shit, so I'm posting here so maybe some space bucks go to fhc bro's instead of some randoms :V

Takon Orlani
April 29 2011, 12:39:05 AM
Just put Kaspersky mobile service on my android, got it for free when I renewed ky av protection for 3 pcs.

P cool features like remote locking, finding by Gps, and wiping.

Not bad for free.

Ryas Nia
April 29 2011, 03:59:06 AM
Anyone has a clean ESN, working smart-phone from verizon like Facinate, incredible, droid x, even a Iphone etc etc used for sale that they havent sold yet???

I just want to get one so I can grandfather in before they tier their shit, so I'm posting here so maybe some space bucks go to fhc bro's instead of some randoms :V

move to sprint, and then leach off Verizon towers like i do :P

Stoffl
April 29 2011, 07:09:31 AM
Just put Kaspersky mobile service on my android, got it for free when I renewed ky av protection for 3 pcs.

P cool features like remote locking, finding by Gps, and wiping.

Not bad for free.

There was this pretty amazing remote-locating/track/remote-lock&wipe app which required root access for full functionality(which made it srsbsns because once locked it was bricked unless you know the password, no flashing etc could remove it)
But I can't remember it's name.. :?

Other free alternatives: htcsense.com
One of the few reasons to keep a Sense ROM on your htc device, nowadays it works and has some pretty cool features apart from the remote location,-lock and ring features.

Raine Woot
April 29 2011, 08:34:13 AM
I finally have a device that letsme shitpost while shitting and getting paid at work. Truly this is the height of civilization.

Stoffl
April 29 2011, 08:54:08 AM
Literal shitposts are the best posts.

Mi Lai
April 29 2011, 09:15:26 AM
I loved my HTC Desire, untill it got stolen by this guy:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t311/MiLai_photos/P4190040.jpg

Only thing that took some getting used to was the low battery life compared to my vintage Nokia.

Currently waiting to see if I can get a new one via my job, otherwise in the market for a new one.

Raine Woot
April 29 2011, 06:11:20 PM
Jesus, worse than having something stolen is knowing it was stolen by someone who looks like that. sucks man.

Hast
April 30 2011, 09:49:54 AM
oh man, giving that little shit a beating would be epic. fucking thieves

mjukis
April 30 2011, 11:43:54 AM
Are you a struggling android developer? Want to make more money and don't care if you have to shit on your users? Airpush (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNA6tabKNA) is for you.

Intigo
April 30 2011, 04:40:39 PM
Are you a struggling android developer? Want to make more money and don't care if you have to shit on your users? Airpush (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNA6tabKNA) is for you.

Hahaha holy shit, Notification ads?

I have to try this.

lt
May 2 2011, 04:25:31 PM
Is there a good textmessage app outthere for android,the one I got with my x10 is driving me nuts... There is no option for "inbox" so I have to use the "back" key, and when that doesn't work (more often than it works) I'm stuck in a conversation with one contact. :-(

Stoffl
May 2 2011, 05:09:20 PM
Im using gosms.

honeymonster
May 4 2011, 01:58:02 PM
Is there a good textmessage app outthere for android,the one I got with my x10 is driving me nuts... There is no option for "inbox" so I have to use the "back" key, and when that doesn't work (more often than it works) I'm stuck in a conversation with one contact. :-(
i use whatsapp its good

M'buku
May 4 2011, 02:17:47 PM
Looks like HTC are rolling out gingerbread for the Desire HD and the S today and the Desire Z and vanilla handsets in June.

orcane
May 4 2011, 09:33:15 PM
bring it on... still haven't bothered to root because I can't find a ROM I like :(

Takon Orlani
May 5 2011, 03:25:51 AM
I just have a widget that displays my inbox on a screen WHAT

Frools
May 5 2011, 12:00:41 PM
bring it on... still haven't bothered to root because I can't find a ROM I like :(
you... wait... what?
how can you know you dont like a rom if you havent rooted in order to try it...
what? :psyduck:

especially given there are roms for pretty much every phone that are the same as the stock experience only with the latest updates
:psyduck: :psyduck:

M'buku
May 5 2011, 12:36:23 PM
I've not rooted my phone either. I actually really like the sense UI. I think the only think I can think of that I'd like to change about it is the battery icon. To have a standard battery icon that shows % would be neat. Other than that I love sense.

Frools
May 5 2011, 12:55:10 PM
and there are custom roms with sense so...

M'buku
May 5 2011, 01:03:38 PM
Another reason I don't root is because I don't trust myself not to Fuck it up. I'd go for it if someone did it for me.

Raine Woot
May 5 2011, 04:41:16 PM
but there are step by step guides

balistic void
May 5 2011, 06:21:11 PM
Am loving video chat on my Nexus S.

Hast
May 5 2011, 07:37:11 PM
Another reason I don't root is because I don't trust myself not to Fuck it up. I'd go for it if someone did it for me.

Fix your tapatalk settings please. :/

Takon Orlani
May 5 2011, 08:55:16 PM

Fix your tapatalk settings please. :/

orcane
May 6 2011, 06:01:31 PM
you... wait... what?
how can you know you dont like a rom if you havent rooted in order to try it...
what? :psyduck:

especially given there are roms for pretty much every phone that are the same as the stock experience only with the latest updates
:psyduck: :psyduck:
I can read feature descriptions and so far every Desire Z ROM I looked into was lacking something I currently really like and in the end I don't care enough to try 1337 ROMs just for the hell of it. If I run into something I really want to change, it's nice to have the option but right now I'm happy enough with HTC Sense to go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Frools
May 6 2011, 06:06:48 PM
lacking what, because as i said there are sense roms that will be the same as the default stuff only with the latest version and added features
im still boggling here

balistic void
May 6 2011, 06:14:39 PM
The only reason you need: Your stock ROM has volume limitation as required by EU law (even if you are american probably). Custom roms will let you activate bass boost etc and blow your head off.

orcane
May 6 2011, 09:22:25 PM
lacking what, because as i said there are sense roms that will be the same as the default stuff only with the latest version and added features
im still boggling here
Excuse me if I don't have hours to spend to search xda-devs and fiddle with/try new ROMs all day. Right now my phone already mostly does what I want it to do, the things I really need won't be available (playing nice with my company's specific VPN setup, for once) with custom ROMs either, and going from 80% happiness to 90% with it would require hours and :effort: I can much better spend on more productive things (like shitposting) for now. I'm basically too busy+lazy to bother reading up on any more ROMs and learn2root so I will sit back and try HTC's update in a few weeks. If I happen to find a ROM that sounds promising enough to take over I can still try that if I can be arsed later.

Also I don't care about volume limitations, I don't even get close to the EU-mandated limits.

Aea
May 6 2011, 10:24:26 PM
My job is developing software for Android devices, I have never rooted a personal device. I'm w/ orcane in saying you don't really need to w/ Android.

Frools
May 6 2011, 10:44:42 PM
people who haven't rooted in rooting is useless :wat:

Intigo
May 7 2011, 01:26:12 PM
My job is developing software for Android devices, I have never rooted a personal device. I'm w/ orcane in saying you don't really need to w/ Android.

what have you made / been involved in?

balistic void
May 7 2011, 04:42:21 PM
I agree with him tbh. Rooting isn't really needed these days, the stock roms are a lot better than they used to be.

Only reasons for custom roms:
Volume - yeah this is important for me! The nexus S was really quiet at max volume, very strange.
VPN - Custom roms come with openvpn, works fine for me.
Pretending you are "l33t" :roll:

Note: Yes since froyo android is supposed to come with vpn, but it does not work :)

Oh, left my nexus s in a bar and it's gone >.< FML

Frools
May 7 2011, 04:52:28 PM
im not saying its NEEDED, if you're happy with the stock stuff for your phone then good for you?
i prefer the stock android interface, sense does nothing for me so i'd rather not have it vOv

the real reason for rooting to me is to get updates asap, fuck waiting for htc or whoever to finally roll out their stuff
theres other useful stuff too like setcpu because more jiggahurts is obviously better!
or being able to install system app updates to /system instead of /data (this was super useful on desire but less so on new phones with plenty of /data space)
or say, deleting the camera click sound because for whatever reason the stock android camera app doesnt let you turn it off (sense camera app is the only thing i miss tbh

M'buku
May 7 2011, 11:11:03 PM
Only reasons for custom roms:
VPN - Custom roms come with openvpn, works fine for me.
Note: Yes since froyo android is supposed to come with vpn, but it does not work :)

Oh, left my nexus s in a bar and it's gone >.< FML

Not quite sure what you're on about here. I use 4 different L2TP/IPSec VPN servers (Amsterdam, Los Angeles, Washington, Hong Kong) and they all work flawlessly on my stock sense 2.2 ROM. :?:

balistic void
May 8 2011, 12:37:46 AM
Apologies for confusion you are correct. HTC Sense has custom vpn which works, normal stock android has a broken version last I checked. My Nexus S stock could not connect to VPN, neither could galaxy tab or archos tab. Sense also adds other non-stock features such as WMA support (htc are bumchums with microsoft).

Just got a loan of Desire Z actually, since stupidly losing my nexus s :) The volume is actually fine on it! Sound quality not as good tho. On the topic of sound, the nexus s and samsung galaxy (basically same hardware) have a wolfsson sound chip which is supposed to be very good. However the stock roms don't actually use this to it's full extent (wtf). Custom roms include a module called voodoo sound which enables all the shiny stuff, so not just for volume. If you have either of these devices you are really missing out with stock rom.

tl;dr: Sense not the same as stock android.

fng
May 9 2011, 12:13:19 PM
Apologies for confusion you are correct. HTC Sense has custom vpn which works, normal stock android has a broken version last I checked. My Nexus S stock could not connect to VPN, neither could galaxy tab or archos tab. Sense also adds other non-stock features such as WMA support (htc are bumchums with microsoft).

Just got a loan of Desire Z actually, since stupidly losing my nexus s :) The volume is actually fine on it! Sound quality not as good tho. On the topic of sound, the nexus s and samsung galaxy (basically same hardware) have a wolfsson sound chip which is supposed to be very good. However the stock roms don't actually use this to it's full extent (wtf). Custom roms include a module called voodoo sound which enables all the shiny stuff, so not just for volume. If you have either of these devices you are really missing out with stock rom.

tl;dr: Sense not the same as stock android.

Could you explain a bit what's the shiny stuff please?

cheeba
May 9 2011, 01:22:26 PM
so what phone should i get in 2 weeks when i can upgrade.

I have a an iphone but its too exp to get a new one.

(am in the uk)

balistic void
May 9 2011, 06:07:07 PM
@cheeba: Get galaxy S 2 if you can.

@fng: Go read this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935637 Voodoo sound mod is the patch that enables the shiny sound chip.

Aea
May 9 2011, 07:24:13 PM
HTC Sensation going to be available there / on your carrier?

Kanv
May 12 2011, 06:29:45 AM
Someone at work told me about http://applanet.net/.

Is it worth using though?

Aea
May 12 2011, 07:05:49 AM
Someone at work told me about http://applanet.net/.

Is it worth using though?

Smells like piracy to me. (or Malware, lololololol)

Stoffl
May 12 2011, 07:57:37 AM
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong....

Eszencia
May 12 2011, 04:23:34 PM
@cheeba: Get galaxy S 2 if you can.

@fng: Go read this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=935637 Voodoo sound mod is the patch that enables the shiny sound chip.

In the market for a new phone over the next few weeks as well. Was going to go for the newest HTC (sensation) but have read much more favourable things about the Samsung S2. Bearing in mind that I can't be fucked to do things like rooting it, am I looking at the right handset? Currently have HTC Hero which is slow as arse.

balistic void
May 12 2011, 04:31:33 PM
Yes you are looking at the right handset. Sensation should also be pretty good, there isn't gonna be much difference really. Yeah, the Hero was a first generation device, we are now on the 3rd generation. There is no comparison.

The Monkeysphere
May 12 2011, 07:43:30 PM
Does anyone know of any decent camera apps that support self-timers and the like (has to be compatible with 2.2 Desire)?

Aea
May 13 2011, 05:03:15 PM
Does anyone know of any decent camera apps that support self-timers and the like (has to be compatible with 2.2 Desire)?

https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... rch_result (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mnapps.cameraadvancelite&feature=search_result) ?

marcouk2
May 15 2011, 02:27:02 PM
I've managed to crack the lcd on my nexus 1 not sure whether I should try and get htc to repair it and risk being stung for the full repair cost. Anyone had experience with having a rooted htc phone replaced under warranty?

M'buku
May 15 2011, 08:49:46 PM
Anyone know where I can buy a Viewsonic V350 phone or got a release date?

balistic void
May 16 2011, 09:10:24 AM
I've managed to crack the lcd on my nexus 1 not sure whether I should try and get htc to repair it and risk being stung for the full repair cost. Anyone had experience with having a rooted htc phone replaced under warranty?

Warranty doesn't cover you breaking the screen. Screen repair will likely cost as much as new phone tbh. My brother broke Desire screen and has same problem. Noone is gonna care about your custom rom since you will be paying anyway.

If you took out accidental damage insurance that's a different story, should be repaired ok.

Hast
May 16 2011, 09:47:48 AM
just buy a screen off ebay and replace it yourself. It's not hard and it's not that expensive.

EntroX
May 18 2011, 11:37:16 PM
just buy a screen off ebay and replace it yourself. It's not hard and it's not that expensive.

what he said. i have replaced plenty of screens for shit like iphones, blackberries and a couple of droids. (mostly for friends)

here's a guide (i used it to fix a nexus one a while back)

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-On ... own/1654/1 (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus-One-Teardown/1654/1)

Joe Appleby
May 19 2011, 03:41:37 PM
I am rather happy with my Desire HD and the stock rom. However I get the itch to replace it with cyanogen. Should I do it? How much trouble is getting stuff ported over to the new rom? I would need to move sms but not much else really. Only got a few apps I would reinstall.

balistic void
May 19 2011, 05:11:34 PM
All your apps and stuff will automatically install, assuming you have ticked the box for "backup my settings online". To be honest, you won't actually gain much at all so don't bother. Just install launcher pro off market if you want to experiment (no rooting needed).

Note that if you switch to cyanogen you will lose many Sense features:
Proper wifi tether support (adhoc is rubbish)
WMA file format support
HTC widgets (can be replaced with launcher pro and other widgets)

Frools
May 19 2011, 05:17:47 PM

eh wut
p sure cyanogen has a proper AP mode wifi tethering
in fact... let me test it (i tether over usb normally)

yeah, shows up as a WPA2-psk 802.11g AP according to my laptop

but thats not anything cyanogen has done, thats default android wifi tethering, what are you talking about with adhoc?

Joe Appleby
May 19 2011, 06:43:57 PM
Yeah, I won't bother. Having to set up all the linked contacts again would be a wee bit annoying. Might do it when I have lots of time.

epictetus
May 20 2011, 11:17:51 AM
Im in the market for a phone costing 400 euro or less. What should i get?

balistic void
May 20 2011, 11:21:40 AM

eh wut
p sure cyanogen has a proper AP mode wifi tethering
in fact... let me test it (i tether over usb normally)

yeah, shows up as a WPA2-psk 802.11g AP according to my laptop

but thats not anything cyanogen has done, thats default android wifi tethering, what are you talking about with adhoc?

It's a subtle one. There are two types of hotspot: infrastructure mode and adhoc mode.

Stock android (and cyanogen) have adhoc mode. This is fine for most stuff, except for other android devices! So, with a windows laptop I can connect to hotspot, but with archos android tablet I cannot.

Sense gives you full infrastructure mode hotspot, will work with anything. This only matters if you have an android tablet that you want to use with hotspot tho. I got an archos, so very important for me! Was quite surprised to find out that installing custom rom actually gimped my functionality regarding hotspot >.<

tl;dr: Android won't with with adhoc, god knows why.

M'buku
May 20 2011, 04:01:13 PM
Im in the market for a phone costing 400 euro or less. What should i get?

You should be able to pick up a SIM free HTC Desire or Desire Z for 300 which is about 340 You could probably pick up a Desire S for 430.

EntroX
May 20 2011, 04:09:48 PM
i am looking into starting programing for android and i want to get a cheapo phone preff using hte latest ver (2.2 afaik?).

any suggestions on a cheap functioning phone?, or maybe someone wants to flog an old one for a bro price? ;p

balistic void
May 20 2011, 04:12:25 PM
i am looking into starting programing for android and i want to get a cheapo phone preff using hte latest ver (2.2 afaik?).

any suggestions on a cheap functioning phone?, or maybe someone wants to flog an old one for a bro price? ;p

You don't need a phone whatsoever to program for android, the emulator is very good. You only need a physical device for opengl 2.0 stuff. For starting off emulator is fine.

Get any cheap android phone tbh, any Desire variant or Samsung Galaxy. Nexus S is pretty good, but lots of new ones are coming out now. Galaxy II is top of the range. It depends where you are located and what deals the carriers are offering tbh. I just signed up with vodafone and get (another) nexus s, mainly so I can use data whilst in UK.

EntroX
May 20 2011, 04:15:41 PM
yes, as with loliphone programming it works great on the emulator (already playing with it) but having a device is way better because you use your applications as an user would. the programs i want to write are for our company and its going to be for lolretarded users so i want to be able to have people try it in a phone.

i will poke around to see if i can get some demo units, we work with motorola so i'll try, but i dont mind throwing some money for one.

balistic void
May 20 2011, 04:17:54 PM
Motorola are the worst fucking company, even worse than Apple. Avoid like the plague. Quote from Motorola spokesperson "if you want to mod your device then choose another manufacturer". Yes they desperately back-pedalled afterwards "we didn't really mean it guys, please buy our stuff" but the fact there are still no custom roms for Motorola Milestone (eu version of droid) says otherwise.

This is obviously pretty poor, but even worse for a developer. Say you aim to have your app on the market in 6 months or whatever (yeah yeah mobile world moves even faster than that I know I know), this means you gotta be developing against cutting edge stuff TODAY. Not being able to flash latest android onto your device means Motorola is fucking useless. The Nexus One and Nexus S get the latest version first officially, but in reality all the HTC and Samsung devices get "unofficial" latest version within a week as well.

EntroX
May 20 2011, 04:23:21 PM
i wouldn't be paying for one so vOv

speaking of not paying, my blackberry playbook arrives on monday, will prolly resell it after a week or two :lol:

balistic void
May 20 2011, 04:24:56 PM
I edited to put in reason why Motorola products are useless for developers.

EntroX
May 20 2011, 07:01:35 PM
i see what you mean. main target would be internal use but yeah, got it.

Aea
May 21 2011, 03:36:32 AM
This is obviously pretty poor, but even worse for a developer. Say you aim to have your app on the market in 6 months or whatever (yeah yeah mobile world moves even faster than that I know I know), this means you gotta be developing against cutting edge stuff TODAY. Not being able to flash latest android onto your device means Motorola is fucking useless. The Nexus One and Nexus S get the latest version first officially, but in reality all the HTC and Samsung devices get "unofficial" latest version within a week as well.

My old (and I mean old) Motorola Droids (teh originals) are all capable of being flashed / rooted / etc. As a development device I greatly prefer them to the Nexus One since they're basically baseline devices.

balistic void
May 21 2011, 10:00:32 AM
Yeah the original droid is the exception, they rushed it to market and didn't lock it down. All devices after that are locked. Milestone is eu version of droid, I had one, no custom roms.

SteeleResolve
May 24 2011, 10:55:40 AM
So are windows phones any good? Was looking at the HD7, but are there any better ones out atm?

Reason I ask is reference mobile development. Was thinking of starting a dev project at home, a GPS based tracker type app, and was wondering if windows mobile 7 was worth using as a platform, and what phones are actually any good. Or is android the only way to go at the moment? I REALLY want to be working in VS tbh....

balistic void
May 24 2011, 11:15:13 AM
Windows no. Other platforms like Android or iOs yes.

Windows Phone forces you to code in .net, and has no OpenGL (only managed directx). If you already code for microsoft then it's not a big deal really. Market penetration for Windows Phone still very low, things may change, Microsoft will throw billions at it for 20 years if necessary.

SteeleResolve
May 24 2011, 11:16:49 AM
I expected more from you than that.

balistic void
May 24 2011, 11:17:43 AM
:companioncube:

Mate, I'm a big Visual Studio guy so trust me on this. Go try out Eclipse for writing Java on Android, it's a pleasure to use compared to VS. PM if you run into problems setting shit up.

If you want to get up and developing with minimum fuss then Android has no competition. Tools work on every platform, are free and easy to setup. Registration costs e10 for life. Done. Go compare that to any of the other mobile platforms!

SteeleResolve
May 24 2011, 11:19:48 AM
haha thanks mate. I want to be using .net btw, thats the whole point :career:

and ok, I'll go and try that eclispe too <3

balistic void
May 24 2011, 11:21:22 AM
Diversification is what you want for your career mate. Having just .net is very bad, another guy with broader experience will get hired over you even with same years of experience. You are big boy now, go try some new stuff.

Put it like this: get "hello world" up and running on an android device. Wallop now you put "loljava" on your CV.

SteeleResolve
May 24 2011, 11:38:39 AM
I know where you are coming from, but the whole point of aiming for windows is due to the fact i need MORE .net experience, as most of my experience has been with VS 6.0, and i thought it would be the ideal way. I have never got on with java and i think it just make my life harder. 9/10 coding jobs (that i see) out there are MS based. Moreso C# and VB

:shrug:

I'll have a thinkypoos about it.

edit: and cost doesnt come into it either, already have full versions os VS and am a member of the apphub thing thanks to my misses' technet subscription last year :)

balistic void
May 24 2011, 12:39:21 PM
Yeah but noone uses lolwindowsphone so lulz. If you just want to mess around with it sure go ahead, but it's not full .net it's a wierd silverlight shell. Fuck silverlight, would people use adobe flash for enterprise development? Wait don't answer that -.-

cheeba
May 24 2011, 02:24:51 PM
ok doods,

Last.fm now wants to charge me to use their app on my phone. Are there any music services that offer streaming music to a mobile device for free that still exist? (im in the uk)

many thanks!

Frools
May 24 2011, 02:29:05 PM
Was thinking of starting a dev project at home, a GPS based tracker type app
you just doing this as a lernin/personal project?
cos there must be at least a dozen of these for every platform _

SteeleResolve
May 24 2011, 02:45:35 PM
Was thinking of starting a dev project at home, a GPS based tracker type app
you just doing this as a lernin/personal project?
cos there must be at least a dozen of these for every platform _

yes personal project, not for selling it

Pattern
May 24 2011, 05:21:20 PM
ok doods,

Last.fm now wants to charge me to use their app on my phone. Are there any music services that offer streaming music to a mobile device for free that still exist? (im in the uk)

many thanks!
Link?
:ohnoes:

Hast
May 24 2011, 06:56:10 PM
ok doods,

many thanks!
Link?

most likely it is the record companies that want Last.fm to charge him to use their app. :P

cheeba
May 25 2011, 12:05:11 PM
ok doods,

many thanks!
Link?

most likely it is the record companies that want Last.fm to charge him to use their app. :P

you used to be able to stream music thru wifi or 3g using the last.fm iphone app.

As of earlier this year, they changed it so you need to be a paying subscriber to stream on phone (and also not get adds while playing on computer). for long time users (like myself) they gave us 4 months free subscription. Now my free run has ended, Im looking for other music apps.

http://www.last.fm/subscribe

The deal they offer. It looks like grooveshark costs $9/month to stream on a phone. Pandora also charges I think now? I dont know of any other services though and wanted to pick the FHC mindhive...

balistic void
May 25 2011, 01:50:31 PM
Grooveshark mobile is mono only, useless. Was good in the past :(

cheeba
May 25 2011, 02:11:45 PM
and woah... why does it change hast to hitler when i quote him ...? :shock:

hast hitler hitler hast

woah they are both swapping with each other..

Aea
May 25 2011, 08:10:50 PM
ok doods,

many thanks!
Link?

you used to be able to stream music thru wifi or 3g using the last.fm iphone app.

As of earlier this year, they changed it so you need to be a paying subscriber to stream on phone (and also not get adds while playing on computer). for long time users (like myself) they gave us 4 months free subscription. Now my free run has ended, Im looking for other music apps.

http://www.last.fm/subscribe

The deal they offer. It looks like grooveshark costs $9/month to stream on a phone. Pandora also charges I think now? I dont know of any other services though and wanted to pick the FHC mindhive...

Isn't last.fm like $3/month. Is that _really_ so damn much?

Helfix
May 26 2011, 02:22:56 AM
Last time I checked, unless it's changed, pandora charges $1/mo.

Ryas Nia
May 26 2011, 01:57:05 PM
Last time I checked, unless it's changed, pandora charges $1/mo.

or free with advertising up to 40 hours of playback. I mix between Pandora and DI.FM depending on my mood.

Dregek
May 27 2011, 05:30:19 AM
so whats THE smartphone to have now or in the near future? as much as i love my bb my contracts up & as its seems to have become mega popular amongst my friends (42 bbm contacts :psyduck:) I'd rather jump off the sheep boat

Frools
May 27 2011, 08:15:37 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/htc- ... der-policy (http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/26/htc-officially-dissolves-locked-bootlader-policy)
O SNAP

this is great news tbh

balistic void
May 27 2011, 09:29:36 AM
There will be a BB messenger compatible thing for other platforms soon. Also Blackberry are gonna probably support android, maybe even jump ship totally next year.

Best foans right now = samsung galaxy s II, or htc sensation. They are literally just out, so naturally shitty shops in Ireland don't have yet, but UK does. If you are in lolamerica the networks and foans are different so ignore this advice.

Dregek
May 27 2011, 10:17:07 AM
im uk based :) i will most likely go to a android phone as a loliphone is just out of the question

Kanv
May 27 2011, 03:02:37 PM
What's a good Desire Rom to use? I rooted today and the one I chose (Oxygen) doesnt seem stable running my LauncherPro interface.

Or should i just got with the major players (cynoagen etc)?

EntroX
May 27 2011, 04:05:50 PM
so i just got my hands on an acer s300 (for free) so i can start playing with the terrible apps i am writing.

thing is fairly big to be a phone, and dear lord the way you put the battery and sim :psyduck:

Hast
May 27 2011, 04:31:35 PM
so i just got my hands on an acer s300 (for free) so i can start playing with the terrible apps i am writing.

thing is fairly big to be a phone, and dear lord the way you put the battery and sim :psyduck:

I bet the battery is easier to remove then on an iphone :obama:

EntroX
May 27 2011, 04:55:27 PM
deffo not easier than on the iphone 4 brah, 3 screws and its out~

Pattern
May 27 2011, 08:18:07 PM
HTC's got some balls, for that sirs I salute thee. :bow:
http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/27/htcs ... sion-mean/ (http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/27/htcs-bootloader-decision-mean/)

Frools
May 27 2011, 08:19:26 PM
HTC's got some balls. :bow:
http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/27/htcs ... sion-mean/ (http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/27/htcs-bootloader-decision-mean/)
12 hours and 3 minutes late!

Pattern
May 27 2011, 08:20:23 PM
Opps :lol:

Aea
May 27 2011, 09:33:13 PM
Opps :lol:

Why? Could somebody explain to me the politics around locking phones that makes this ballsy? HTC and Motorola and Samsung are pretty much the three large players in Android, having one of them saying "no locked bootloader for your gay carrier addons," when they have the largest marketshare isn't really all that incredible.

Pattern
May 27 2011, 09:51:27 PM
Any corporation taking *not path of least resistance* methods, even just to carve out a market positioning stance is should be respected these days. Personally, any thing to shit on, or disrupt the influences phone carriers have on phone software should be applauded.

Snowman
May 28 2011, 01:01:00 AM
http://phandroid.com/2011/05/27/all-clear-verizon-will-allow-unlocked-bootloaders-on-their-network/

Loganbacca
May 28 2011, 11:28:14 AM
Best foans right now = samsung galaxy s II, or htc sensation. They are literally just out, so naturally shitty shops in Ireland don't have yet, but UK does. If you are in lolamerica the networks and foans are different so ignore this advice.
So what's the best phones right now for like 50-70% of the price of those phones? (we get crap deals over here as far as free phones with plans go, so generally have to buy them outright)

Also, what's the general opinion on the new sony xperia phones, i.e. Arc, Play, Neo? They look pretty shiny, but are they most likely crap? (although sony being repeatedly hacked is kinda putting me off anything sony atm anyway)

balistic void
May 28 2011, 11:34:58 AM
Well phones generally cost fuck all because you get them with contract. I got a new nexus S from vodafone for e50, but there is e40/m contract for 2 years :( Pre-pay data is too expensive I've found so far, so you gotta have contract anyway.

Sony phones are pretty crap compared to the others yeah. Not tried the Play but haven't read any good reviews either. You should be able to get a bluetooth gamepad and use it with any android phone (note: you may have driver problems with some devices), so there isn't much to differentiate the Play phone really. I haven't tried any emulators on a dualcore tablet yet, but that could make a decent gaming experience with gamepad.

Loganbacca
May 28 2011, 12:37:12 PM
Well phones generally cost fuck all because you get them with contract. I got a new nexus S from vodafone for e50, but there is e40/m contract for 2 years :( Pre-pay data is too expensive I've found so far, so you gotta have contract anyway.

(we get crap deals over here as far as free phones with plans go, so generally have to buy them outright)
As I mentioned we don't get cheap phones on contract here, unless you go on the really expensive plans, so I'll be looking at buying one outright.
What are the better phones to consider getting?
Also is installing custom roms the way to go? i.e. should I get an unlocked phone and ignore the phones that the carriers sell you?

Snowman
May 28 2011, 01:42:03 PM
I dunno how expensive an Optimus 2x would be but I've seen some good reviews of it.

Darkening
May 29 2011, 12:19:30 AM
Thinking about getting the LG Optimus One it's on sale for 75 unlocked for everything.

Picked one up today for my old man and had a quick go on it and it's not half bad, so i might have to pop back in to town in the morning and grab another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Optimus_One

balistic void
May 29 2011, 08:01:22 AM
There are loads of Optimus phones it's a family. Ranges from the Optimus 2x which has latest dual-core processor, to older not-so-good phones. Get the good one.

Frools
May 29 2011, 01:45:31 PM
the only good phone LG have is the G2x / Optimus 2X
which has been pulled from stores because of quality concerns :lol:

Kanv
May 31 2011, 02:16:05 PM
My Desire is now rooted and stable, with the Oxygen ROM installed.

I recommend this (http://androidforums.com/desire-all-things-root/158131-guide-easily-remove-system-apps-rooted-stock-roms-updated-15-04-11-a.html) procedure to remove rubbish stock apps, as well as the A2SD+ partitioning to make the phone think it has more internal storage.

App to use: Folder Organiser Lite, and sort your apps into categories so that you can 2 touch to any program you want without scrolling.

Swype is the fuuuuuuutuuure

balistic void
May 31 2011, 04:14:45 PM
Do your apps on sdcard auto-update? They won't for me, which is really annoying (on tablet with limited internal storage). Phones with loads of internal storage are better, ie not the Desire :) Also you lose some features by installing Oxygen (proper tether + wma).

I moaned about the stock android tether before, but it seems they have fixed it. Stock Nexus S now does infrastructure tether, so I can use my android tablet with it \o/ Won't work with custom roms tho last I tried, maybe the very latest builds have it too?

Darkening
May 31 2011, 10:11:11 PM
Got the LG Optimus One (2.2), it's really not that bad for 75 and it's unlocked.

The processor could do with a little more grunt.

Kanv
June 1 2011, 12:28:54 AM
Do your apps on sdcard auto-update? They won't for me, which is really annoying (on tablet with limited internal storage). Phones with loads of internal storage are better, ie not the Desire :) Also you lose some features by installing Oxygen (proper tether + wma).

I moaned about the stock android tether before, but it seems they have fixed it. Stock Nexus S now does infrastructure tether, so I can use my android tablet with it \o/ Won't work with custom roms tho last I tried, maybe the very latest builds have it too?
Auto update? I used Titanium Backup to store them on the SD as as backup, then copied them back after wiping. The app auto adds them back to the market too. I turned of the market auto update because i have the old version of Shazam with unlimited sampling.

A workaround might be to install the AppBrain market, and set that to update for you.

balistic void
June 1 2011, 08:20:04 AM
Nope none of that will work, try for yourself. Also, after restoring from backup, your apps are all back in internal memory no? You gotta move them to sdcard again?

Kanv
June 1 2011, 09:40:58 AM
The system thinks that part of the SD is internal memory, so installs there itself.

balistic void
June 1 2011, 10:00:40 AM
Oh that's good. Never fucking worked for me >.< Got Nexus S now so have no more grief with internal storage tho. Is big problem with tablet however and I cba to install custom rom.

This is no longer an issue with current devices, all the new ones have loads of internal memory.