View Full Version : Deus Ex 3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Mona
April 13 2011, 09:48:24 AM
Another Sarif's ad.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/04 ... ies-video/

Spaztick
April 13 2011, 10:00:58 AM
Won't be as good as the first one, anger, bittervet, nostalgia, hey guys anyone remember that one cool game?

James Snowscoran
April 13 2011, 10:16:35 AM
They certainly seem to be throwing a lot of cash at hyping this. Let's hope they saved some resources for development too.

Iloni Atoriandra
April 13 2011, 11:05:20 AM
Better be good or lots of rage.

RazoR
April 13 2011, 12:14:28 PM
Gonna be shittiest reboot yet.

AvP was pretty bad so you should get the idea.

friznit
April 15 2011, 11:46:34 AM
Kinda have to agree. Nostalgia says Deu Sex was a brilliant game - for it's time when the alternatives were pretty thin on the ground. The footage so far seems to be all generic fps with ... oh look I can turn invisible. Level design will be everything but if it's just more linear shit with toys ...ugh.

Gilligan
April 16 2011, 12:46:00 AM
Not going to lie, even though I should probably be all bittervet about this to avoid getting mad, I can't help but be excited. Deus Ex is my favorite game of all time, and the gameplay previews I've seen look pretty damn fun. Doubt it can live up to my expectations, but even if it only gets halfway there it'll still be a fantastic game.

Gesadt
April 16 2011, 01:15:40 AM
yea at this point, having had a heartbreak that was dx2, all one can hope is that this one wont be as shit. its not even realistic to expect anything on par with original, since not only was it an amazing game but it also was some much of its time (and place). thats why classics are classics (just being good isn't really enough), and thats why you cant really make a game like dx1/ thief1-2 and what have you, again.

as a side note 1998-2000 were the golden age of pc gaming imo (1998 - StarCraft, Unreal, Fallout 2, Grim Fandango, Half-Life, Thief: The Dark Project; 1999 - System Shock 2, Quake III , Unreal Tournament, Planescape: Torment, Age of Empires II, Alpha Centauri, Homeworld, Outcast; 2000 - The Sims, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Escape from Monkey Island, No One Lives Forever, The Longest Journey). but then again nowadays we have dwarf fortress and minecraft, so it all evens out.

RazoR
April 16 2011, 02:13:34 AM
yea at this point, having had a heartbreak that was dx2, all one can hope is that this one wont be as shit.DX2 was actually pretty solid.
In the way Thief 3 was.

James Snowscoran
April 16 2011, 09:24:00 AM
yea at this point, having had a heartbreak that was dx2, all one can hope is that this one wont be as shit.DX2 was actually pretty solid.
In the way Thief 3 was.
Decent game but not as good as the predecessor?

Dunno if you're trolling but I'd be inclined to agree myself.

friznit
April 16 2011, 09:53:19 AM
Deus Ex 2 would have been fine if they'd called it something else. Possibly.

RazoR
April 16 2011, 09:56:03 AM
Deus Ex 2 would have been fine with bigger levels, more complex upgrade system and dialogues.fyp

I blame consoles.

Gesadt
April 16 2011, 11:53:50 AM
part of the outrage with dx2, was it was one of the first major titles to really suffer from "consolification" and signaled the era of shitty dumbed down console ports

orcane
April 16 2011, 01:20:14 PM
Let me repost what I wrote on the Great SHC: Deus Ex 2 wasn't bad and the gameplay as such wasn't dumbed down, nor was it simplified because of consoles. It was the dev team's genuine belief that some of the streamlining was necessary to polish the rough edges of Deus Ex and they actually tried to improve the game. Granted, not everything they tried to achieve that actually worked, but that wasn't a function of "dumbing down" or "consolification".

The part where "bad because it came from consoles" came in was the underlying tech. The UI was a mess that was very obviously not PC-optimized at first, although it could be tweaked easily and got better after one or two patches. What never recovered was the gameplay "flow" because it was interrupted at every door in order to load another 10x10 meter level that had to fit into the Xbox's tiny RAM as well. And that's where we arrive at PC optimization being outsourced to specialized studios like Demiurge (Mass Effect) or Nixxes (lots of Eidos games including Deus Ex 3) which should ideally get rid of technical reasons why PC versions of cross-platform games are sometimes bad or at the very least, noticeably inferior (along with other not-lead-platform ports - like Bayonetta for the PS3)

Of course die-hard PC fanboys will never get over how their glorious age of srsgamez exclusivity ended with Microsoft's "PCbox", so everything that looks like it's not "favourite game of 1998, but with 2020 graphics" while being 50 hours long is shit and console trash.

Gesadt
April 16 2011, 02:29:11 PM
this guy summed up why dx2 was bad more eloquently than i ever could
http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1607

The biggest flaw with Deus Ex: Invisible War is that it was a complete departure from what was established in the original. Invisible War was weak in precisely the ways that its forbearer had been strong.
Compared to other FPS titles, it was a fine effort and worth a look. But it never managed to escape the shadow of Deus Ex. In terms of scope, story, characters, and gameplay, it was a feeble attempt to capture that former splendor. It was a short game with tame aspirations, obliged to play the nostalgia card in an effort to cover up for its lack of depth.

level size limitations and gameplay due to console as primary platform was just one of the problems.

orcane
April 16 2011, 05:07:29 PM
Rose-tinted glasses and fanboy detected.

Gesadt
April 16 2011, 05:51:44 PM
cant argue there, dx1 is one of my favorite games.

Shaikar
April 16 2011, 08:32:27 PM
Actually Deus Ex is a fantastic game now, I played through it over christmas. Claiming it's only good because of rose tinted glasses etc is a bit clueless, as decade old graphics aside it stands up just fine against modern games. Deus Ex 2 is a different sort of game, not a bad sort but undeniably different - the hardware limitations didn't help but certainly weren't the only problem.

The series stricken only by console hardware requirements was Thief. Thief 3 is much the same as Thief and Thief 2 in gameplay and style, the only issues are with the UI and the constant loading.

/edit Reminds me, I hope DE3 has an awesome soundtrack to go along with it, it's amazing what that does to a game. :)

orcane
April 16 2011, 10:51:27 PM
No one said DX is only good because of rose-tinted glasses nor did anyone claim that technical reasons were the only things wrong with DX2. Both games are very good on their own, neither game was flawless (anyone claiming this for DX needs a reality check) and one of them turned out to be a classic. The latter has nothing to do with dumbing down the second game for consoles but more with circumstances.

You can bemoan that but in the end a game reflects the time in which it was developed and released. To some extent Deus Ex worked so well because in 1998 we didn't have FPS-RPG-etc. hybrids popping up everywhere, and gaming was still mostly limited to enthusiasts who were used to quirky UI or unintuitive/inaccessible gameplay and thrived on it. Yet both games were a take on the same vision of letting people play through a conspiracy theory as freely as possible.

Where DX2 failed wasn't in trying to be more accessible but in delivering on otherwise valid ideas to improve the first game. The "personality" of DX didn't hinge on the clunky UI, unwieldy inventory and combat too deeply rooted in PnP RPG mechanics, and adding gameplay to the story-part with factions was perfectly reasonable. Unfortunately execution of those "improvements" fell way short (and the game lost some options in unnecessary places in the name of ease of access) but I think in an ideal world where they had worked out, DX2 would have been better than the first game.

My point was that we can't attribute the devs' failure to add a decent "less clumsy combat system" et al. with any certainty to the fact the game was also made for the Xbox. In fact, I was reading interviews where the devs themselves stated how they weren't happy with how things like the UI or inaccessibility turned out in the first game, well before the Xbox was the hot new thing. Meanwhile technical issues like a messy UI and tiny levels can be easily traced back to subpar in-house cross-platform development.

My hope is that DX3 turns out to be this properly streamlined Deus Ex. Being a 2011 or 2012 game, it will have things original DX fans will hate, but some loot sparkle or auto-regenerating health won't make or break the game (if it does, chances are you were focusing on the wrong parts of Deus Ex in the first place). And finally, the additional developer for the PC version should take care of the technical side.

Spaztick
April 16 2011, 11:58:40 PM
Actually Deus Ex is a fantastic game now, I played through it over christmas. Claiming it's only good because of rose tinted glasses etc is a bit clueless, as decade old graphics aside it stands up just fine against modern games. Deus Ex 2 is a different sort of game, not a bad sort but undeniably different - the hardware limitations didn't help but certainly weren't the only problem.

The series stricken only by console hardware requirements was Thief. Thief 3 is much the same as Thief and Thief 2 in gameplay and style, the only issues are with the UI and the constant loading.

/edit Reminds me, I hope DE3 has an awesome soundtrack to go along with it, it's amazing what that does to a game. :)
The thing about DX2 vs Thief 3 is was that DX2 didn't have it's Cradle to make up for the rest of the game.

RazoR
April 17 2011, 12:21:05 AM
I dare you faggots to find a truly :rose-tinted glasses: game. I am going through games i thought were epic in 98-04 and can't find a single one that is plain by modern standarts.

Brisi
April 17 2011, 10:41:56 AM
I dare you faggots to find a truly :rose-tinted glasses: game. I am going through games i thought were epic in 98-04 and can't find a single one that is plain by modern standarts.

Tiberian Sun?

Edit: And how the hell does sigs work? Am i (quite possibly) just a retard?

RazoR
April 17 2011, 10:58:20 AM
I dare you faggots to find a truly :rose-tinted glasses: game. I am going through games i thought were epic in 98-04 and can't find a single one that is plain by modern standarts.Tiberian Sun?http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/you_gonna_get_raped_retro.jpg

It was a pretty terrible in a good way game (lolbalance) but the storyline videos are still better than most movies.

Also fun missions. Something modern RTS deperately lack.

P.S.: Still gay for Klepacki.

friznit
April 18 2011, 09:39:15 AM
I have to agree with Razor for once. Look at the likes of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, orig. release date 1995. Now developed as Open Transport Tycoon, it's still epicly addictive and by far the best of it's type. Simcity 4 Rush Hour - released 2003. Still an excellent game and yet to be beaten, 8 years on. XCom EU (1994), one of the foremost strategy games even today, and holds up very well against poor immitations. Even in the flightsim genre, Falcon 4 (1998) is still considered the pinnacle of sim achievement, yet to be surpassed even by recent releases by DCS.

Aramendel
April 18 2011, 11:39:53 AM
The thing about DX2 vs Thief 3 is was that DX2 didn't have it's Cradle to make up for the rest of the game.

The Crandle was awesome. I was totally nervous the whole level, expecting a faceeating demon behind every corner. The funy thing is that the next level (or 2nd part of the crandle), when there *was* a faceeating demon behind every corner, was anticlamatic for me. I played that half by autopilot and and fun, but wasn't really scared or nervous anymore. Guess stuff stops being scary when you can just frag it.

ABout DX1/2 - I never had maior issues with DX2 I must admit. DX1 was definately the superiour game, but I still had my fun with DX2. I think the reason for that is that I was never that taken with DX1 because I was kinda disappointed with that game, I liked System Shock 2 more.

RazoR
April 18 2011, 12:11:29 PM
Guess stuff stops being scary when you can just frag it.No shit, sherlock.

Exactly why dead spaces are a park stroll and amnesia makes you shit your heart out.
It is the unknown that induces fear.

omeg
May 12 2011, 04:28:53 PM
Just read some impressions from the first chapter, and - it's going to be fucking epic.
http://www.gram.pl/art_9gzeJ,6_Deus_Ex_ ... zialu.html (http://www.gram.pl/art_9gzeJ,6_Deus_Ex_Bunt_Ludzkosci_wrazenia_z_pier wszego_rozdzialu.html)
You can try google translate, but not sure how much you'll get from it.

Brief summary of the main points:
- Great atmosphere and amazing attention to details.
- Conversation system a bit like ME, but without retarded icons. Some implants to read body language of others for better persuasion options.
- First chapter took him 7-11 hrs to complete.
- Side quests often intertwined with "main storyline".
- Character development is mainly in form of activating more implants. "XP" awarded for quests, stealth, hacking, etc. There are big bonuses for "non-lethal" approaches it seems.
- Hacking minigame is supposedly quite fun.
- Cover system is good. Shooting feels like normal FPS if you go for it. Not many gun types, but ability to modify them and augment by implants. Auto health regen is really slow and on from the start, can't really speed it up.
- There are some quest markers etc, but not very detailed (and can be turned off). You need to go find stuff yourself.
- UI is good. Consolified ~a bit~, but not much. The game on PC changes its interface if you connect a pad for example.
- Inventory is very limited in space, can't hoard much stuff.
- Animations and "technical" video quality is not top-notch, more like mid-range (whatever that means). Music is awesome.

TLDR: BUY IT NOW!

orcane
May 12 2011, 05:21:11 PM
- There are some quest markers etc, but not very detailed (and can be turned off). You need to go find stuff yourself.
That's not what the RPS write-up says. The "not very detailed" part, that is.

Iloni Atoriandra
May 12 2011, 06:47:09 PM
Sounds good I will deffo be buying this. I dont like limited inventory space as I am a bit of a hoarder and want all the weapons to play around with instead of having to choose what to carry but thats just a preference.

Mona
May 13 2011, 11:23:05 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Jeffachoo/status ... 6561306624 (https://twitter.com/#!/Jeffachoo/status/69153226561306624)

4 ut of 6 playtesters finished game in 25-30 hours.

Rosur
June 1 2011, 01:03:42 AM
A pre release of this game has been leaked on iptorrent at least.

Spawinte
June 1 2011, 10:28:05 AM
Reading about this on /v/. Some saying it stands beside the original and other saying it's shit. Both sides say the other side is trolling.

Screens
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922426237.png
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922139648.png
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922250484.png
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922334994.png

Eidolon
June 1 2011, 12:59:47 PM
Reading about this on /v/. Some saying it stands beside the original and other saying it's shit. Both sides say the other side is trolling.

Screens
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922426237.png
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922139648.png
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922250484.png
http://www.onebit.us/images/1306922334994.png

Considering this is /v/ we're talking about, it's just as likely both sides are trolling... somehow.

Also, new trailer mentions FEMA and may or may not show Bob Page:
RPS Article (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/06/01/what-about-bob-deus-ex-3-looks-backwards/)

kyrieee
June 1 2011, 01:15:47 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/Jeffachoo/status/69153226561306624

4 ut of 6 playtesters finished game in 25-30 hours.

Those estimated playtimes they put on the back of the box are usually taken from playtesters as well so it isn't always indicative of how long the game is.

guzaf
June 1 2011, 05:34:13 PM
any experience with the leaked beta? is it the full game or just a preview to the press?

Eidolon
June 1 2011, 05:41:40 PM
any experience with the leaked beta? is it the full game or just a preview to the press?

I haven't played it myself, but AFAIK it's a preview build and contains only the first chapter, which is about ten hours long.

Melichor
June 1 2011, 06:36:47 PM
yea at this point, having had a heartbreak that was dx2, all one can hope is that this one wont be as shit. its not even realistic to expect anything on par with original, since not only was it an amazing game but it also was some much of its time (and place). thats why classics are classics (just being good isn't really enough), and thats why you cant really make a game like dx1/ thief1-2 and what have you, again.

as a side note 1998-2000 were the golden age of pc gaming imo (1998 - StarCraft, Unreal, Fallout 2, Grim Fandango, Half-Life, Thief: The Dark Project; 1999 - System Shock 2, Quake III , Freespace 1 and 2, Unreal Tournament, Planescape: Torment, Age of Empires II, Alpha Centauri, Homeworld, Outcast; 2000 - The Sims, Deus Ex, Diablo II, Escape from Monkey Island, No One Lives Forever, The Longest Journey). but then again nowadays we have dwarf fortress and minecraft, so it all evens out.

Added some more epic to that post

Mona
June 1 2011, 11:22:01 PM
[youtube:2sqtsm1k]VqA5JxiMico[/youtube:2sqtsm1k]

drizzcat
June 2 2011, 01:19:30 AM
System Shock 2

Demanding More System Shock 2 Posts!!

Best game ever. I still want to know what Shodan did after ganking that bitch and dude in the shuttle.

Aramendel
June 3 2011, 07:24:08 PM

Did the first mission there so far. Its..well..a beta. So quite obviously not the final game.

Graphics are relatively heavy consolized. It *might* be simply because high graphic settings are not in yet though. But games like witcher or crysis2 look (unsurprisingly) far better.
Crashes about once to twice an hour for me.
Loading times are quite long - about 20 to 30 seconds from an SSD drive. Hope the optimize them.
Gameplay thankfully isn't consolized that much. One ammo type for each weapon, so no one-for-all like with DE2. Sadly no weapon modifications or different ammo types though (like AP or Sabot rounds).
Ammo is relatively rare.
You die pretty fast if you get under focussed fire from 2 enemies (or one if you sleep). Enemies react to chums of them going down, you need to hide bodies. And they can also revive stunned chums.
At close quarters you can knock out (no matter the alarm status or facing) one (two if talented) targets. However you need one energy bar for it (you start with 2, upgradeable to 6, recharges only slowly), so you cannot just run around knocking them out as you like without breaks.
Different paths in a mission (possible to avoid most enemies using duct systems).
Talking is well done from the speech & options, animations are not that good. Jerky and aprupt head movements, remind me more of birds than humans.

RazoR
June 7 2011, 08:35:12 AM
Yeah what aramendel said. I had only one crash (in the prologue) though.

It is like 5 years behind but still pretty fun and deep. Feels alot like VtM:B.

Commence the fap.
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110122173156/deusex/en/images/d/db/DX3_Malik's_VTOL.jpg

Devec
June 7 2011, 01:45:43 PM
Been playing the preview build a bit and liking it so far, won't play much until the actual game is out though me thinks. What bothers me the most still is that Adam Jenssen is talking like he has a cold and is sitting in a library whilst all the other people just sound normal. It makes his voice really out of place with the rest of the world. Oh and I'd really like for them to build a feature so I don't have to keep right mouse button held in just to take cover, unless I completely missed that in the settings.

RazoR
June 7 2011, 02:36:24 PM
Oh and I'd really like for them to build a feature so I don't have to keep right mouse button held in just to take cover, unless I completely missed that in the settings.Yes you did.

You can set it to toggle rather than hold in gameplay options and change the button for it as well.
Nice job, stupid.

Devec
June 7 2011, 03:01:25 PM
Oh and I'd really like for them to build a feature so I don't have to keep right mouse button held in just to take cover, unless I completely missed that in the settings.Yes you did.

You can set it to toggle rather than hold in gameplay options and change the button for it as well.
Nice job, stupid.

I only asked just because I only played the pre-op combat bit and couldn't be bothered to look through the options. But be mad faggot.

omeg
July 6 2011, 09:13:50 PM
Moar gameplay with commentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73GqUqRetxY

Airow
July 6 2011, 09:35:09 PM
looks good but I don't like the highlighting stuff for everything :-/ spoils so much and exploring becomes way to easy

Cerzi
July 8 2011, 12:12:17 PM
Been playing the preview build a bit and liking it so far, won't play much until the actual game is out though me thinks. What bothers me the most still is that Adam Jenssen is talking like he has a cold and is sitting in a library whilst all the other people just sound normal. It makes his voice really out of place with the rest of the world. Oh and I'd really like for them to build a feature so I don't have to keep right mouse button held in just to take cover, unless I completely missed that in the settings.

I thought they were trying to emulate the way your own voice sounds to yourself, to make it more immsersive. Like the guy's voice for the first-person bits of Enter the Void. Having said that if there are 3rd-person scenes and he sounds exactly the same then it would be a bit odd.

BLEURRRRGH
July 8 2011, 12:47:15 PM

I thought they were trying to emulate the way your own voice sounds to yourself, to make it more immsersive. Like the guy's voice for the first-person bits of Enter the Void. Having said that if there are 3rd-person scenes and he sounds exactly the same then it would be a bit odd.

Pretty much. The theory in the first game was that JC Denton spoke with no emotion. He was basically a blank canvas, on which you could project your own emotions, allowing you to immerse yourself in the character and the game better. Since emotions are very subjective and even a single phrase can be said in several ways, if the emotions the voice actor decided to convey in a particular line failed to match up with your own when you selected the response, the result would be that you would fall out of sync with your character in-game, so you'd feel less immersed.

I seem to remember watching an interview (with Warren Spector) where it is explained. Also, if you ever played The Nameless Mod, there's a fan that describes this towards the beginning of the game.

I haven't played the leaked version of DX3, nor have I read much on it or watched many interviews / walkthroughs / gameplay videos, since I want the experience of playing the game to be as new as possible, but there was one thing I noticed in a video that I watched a while back. Adam seemed to talk to his handler(?) through the intercom system on a couple of occasions in the walkthrough video that showed the same section of a mission completed using combat, stealth and then exploration. He had no control over the direction of the conversation. I was particularly disappointed at his cocky response to his handler when he said that he'd refer to his discovery of the vent access in his report. I want to be the one who decides of Adam is cocky or not.

In the first game, the only time you ever saw JC Denton speak was when you initiated a face-to-face conversation with someone. Even though you wouldn't control his every line, you generally got to decide the direction of the conversation. You always decided how you related to people in the game. Whether you were nice, mean, polite or cocky was up to you. I guess that you had the advantage of starting from day 1 in JC Denton's career as a UNATCO agent, though, so everyone you met was new. You had no history with any of the characters, apart from Paul, who rarely saw JC during his upbringing. The same could be said of the second game as well.

I'm not sure how well this will work in DX3, given Adam appears to have had a history with some of the characters you will inevitably come into contact with. Hell, the whole storyline seems to driven by emotion, judging from the teasers and trailers. Wife getting kidnapped or killed, him ending up on the verge of death, but rescued. Augmented without his prior consent. I guess he's now on a path for revenge.

Aramendel
July 8 2011, 02:11:47 PM
Not exactly really. After (or was it before, cannot remember) the first mission you have a talk with the pilot Razor posted a picture of about your augmentations, you can tell her that you like them, are indifferent to them or dislike them. So you can decide what your char feels. And there were several occasions where I could be nice or an asshole, too.

The thing with his "handler" (which is some tech guy at the company, so not exactly his handler - if we speak about hte first missions which it seems it is since he is talking about vents there), you and he have a negative relationship at the start, so it makes sense that this starting relationship is visible in your conversations.
Now, you could say "But I want that to change" - sure, but a sudden 180° turn simply is nothing logical. Roleplaying is, in the end, doing what the char you play would do considering his history and personality, not what you would do (since playing you is not playing a role). But it could be quite possible that later you have a chance to help or hinder that tech guy, causing your relationship to change.

BLEURRRRGH
July 8 2011, 02:31:54 PM
Not exactly really. After (or was it before, cannot remember) the first mission you have a talk with the pilot Razor posted a picture of about your augmentations, you can tell her that you like them, are indifferent to them or dislike them. So you can decide what your char feels. And there were several occasions where I could be nice or an asshole, too.

That's a relief to know. I guess the trailers have to set the story and, in order to do that, they have to make some of the decisions for you; decisions that you would otherwise get the choice to make when it comes to you playing through the game yourself.

My issue with the tech guy, on the other hand, wasn't really that I wouldn't have the option to be nice to him. It was that there are several ways you could inform him that you took the vent. You could be cocky (as it came across, IIRC), you could be cruel and aggressive (e.g. "next time, do your research. I shouldn't have to waste my time searching for an alternate entrance.") or you could say nothing at all. The conversation seemed to occur on the fly via a radio, so the opportunity to select a different response will likely never occur in those scenarios throughout the game.

The whole idea behind the radio is that you can get updates and messages from other characters as you play, without having to stop to have a chat. Sure, different actions in-game will likely trigger different conversations over the radio, but the player should still have the opportunity to decide whether the protagonist makes a comment which could likely sour a relationship, regardless of whether the relationship is already sour or not. If the player can't, then the conversation either shouldn't happen at all, or the conversation shouldn't have any lasting effect on the game. That's my opinion, at least :S

FatFreddy
July 8 2011, 02:41:14 PM
so afraid that this is going to be a consolized "cool action game" with corny dialogues and shit

Aramendel
July 8 2011, 02:56:57 PM
...or the conversation shouldn't have any lasting effect on the game.

I do not think the conversation had a lasting effect really.
Considering the current relationship with that person I would say it neither turned the relationship more sour nor did it turned it less sour, so it was in the circumstances neutral.

Personally I would find having to decide what my char says every single time he opens his mouth somewhat annoying (especially if I do nother stuff, like evading guards and whatnot, I certainly do not want to defocus from that to click on the response I want, so "automated" responses are fine with me there, as long as they do not influence the story.

so afraid that this is going to be a consolized "cool action game" with corny dialogues and shit

It isn't, it is a bit old-fashioned graphically though. But that is the only real console influence I spotted.
Just get yourself the "demo" aka beta, it gives you a good impression.

FatFreddy
July 8 2011, 03:03:43 PM
Couldn't play it but seriously contemplating to finally buy a new PC after years if this gets good reviews from the right sources (by which I mean forams, Zero Punctuation etc.)

So it has to be great so I can justify buying a new rig :razor:

spm1138
July 8 2011, 03:04:01 PM
I am cautiously optimistic about this. The more I see of it the better I like the looks of the gameplay and the more I think they've got some cool original ideas for it.

The art direction is so much more coherent and interesting than DX it's quite amusing to see fanboys crying about it. "Ooh it looks like Ghost in The Shell 2, the first game didn't have any animu influence at all :( "

DX is more than the sum of it's parts and it's actually held up really well (give it a play if you haven't lately) but it did have some weak elements imo. The AI is kinda bad. Weapon

DX2 I think they just overthought a bunch of stuff in DX1. They took out skills for example because the skills and mods overlapped and made each other redundant in places. I'm not sure it was all a bad idea but a lot of it was too streamlined down.

I also think they made it too sci fi. It's like Star Trek instead of Blade Runner in places which is unsatisfying.

FatFreddy
July 8 2011, 03:05:02 PM
DX2 never existed, stop mentioning it

James Snowscoran
July 8 2011, 04:11:23 PM
DX2 never existed, stop mentioning it
DX2 DX2 DX2. Wasn't a bad game.

BLEURRRRGH
July 8 2011, 04:13:31 PM
DX2 DX2 DX2. Wasn't a bad game.

BLASPHEMY.

Aramendel
July 8 2011, 04:28:52 PM
Played through DE2 too, wasn't that bad. Wasn't good either though.

Might be this way for me because I never understood the massive worship DE1 got. It certainly was a good game, but I liked System Shock 2 more. DE1 always seemed a bit sterile to me in comparsion.

Shaikar
July 8 2011, 05:18:24 PM
Played through DE2 too, wasn't that bad. Wasn't good either though.

Might be this way for me because I never understood the massive worship DE1 got. It certainly was a good game, but I liked System Shock 2 more. DE1 always seemed a bit sterile to me in comparsion.It's because although SS2 was awesome, not many people actually bought it.

kyrieee
July 8 2011, 07:10:37 PM
Watching that video the lighting looks really flat. Hopefully it's better in the PC version.

rojomojo915
July 12 2011, 07:29:24 PM
Want to get it, but gonna wait until it comes out before even thinking about it.

omeg
July 13 2011, 09:13:56 AM
Moar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvAisxs7-S8
Lol@the bad guys voices.

Brisi
July 13 2011, 09:42:00 AM
Lol@the bad guys voices.

Not too mention Mr. Raspy Voice Hero himself. But that's been talked about enough. From what little gameplay that was shown, I just hope there isn't too much running from cover to cover, advancing a step at a time fighting in it. Or at least make us stealth past it or something

Frug
July 13 2011, 07:50:44 PM
Not too mention Mr. Raspy Voice Hero himself. But that's been talked about enough. From what little gameplay that was shown, I just hope there isn't too much running from cover to cover, advancing a step at a time fighting in it. Or at least make us stealth past it or something
Anyone who is surprised that "square enix" has the worst voice acting and character designs in the universe is sadly oblivious to what that company has become. This game will be atrocious.

edit: I suppose they're only publishing it, but everything I've seen of this game reminds me of so many godawful boring, generic games churned out by japan.

Kate Yeats
July 13 2011, 09:23:13 PM
Played the 'demo' and it feels pretty much like an updated version of the original.

I was on the fence given SquareEnix but the demo was enough for me to lay down a pre-order.

shaewyn
July 15 2011, 01:09:22 AM
Shit, didn't know this was a SquareEnix game. That alone is enough to ensure that I won't buy the game.

Every SquareEnix title (except for arkham asylum) that I've played has been shit, and their recent releases are some of the worst shit I've ever played.

Fitzy
July 15 2011, 01:20:06 AM
Anyone who is surprised that "square enix" has the worst voice acting and character designs in the universe is sadly oblivious to what that company has become. This game will be atrocious.

edit: I suppose they're only publishing it, but everything I've seen of this game reminds me of so many godawful boring, generic games churned out by japan.

Pretty sure Eidos Montreal is not Japanese.

Ohh_No
July 15 2011, 01:40:03 AM
Pretty sure Eidos Montreal is not Japanese.

Whatever gave you that idea?

Gilligan
July 15 2011, 03:05:30 AM

Not sure about the henchmen's voices, but the main bad guy sounded like the same voice actor from the first game. So... not sure what the problem is there. And Gunther wasn't exactly the best voice acting, but he remained totally fucking awesome due to the writing.

Failing to figure out how to pre-order through Steam, did they stop accepting them or something?

Edit: derp. It helps if you search for the correct name, not "deus ex 3." (It is fucking 3 though, why are companies terrible at sequels.)

FatFreddy
July 15 2011, 06:48:40 AM
I vanted orange. It gave me lemon lime.

Nyx Opet
July 21 2011, 08:59:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzpzlvf0Gs

Airow
July 21 2011, 09:46:00 PM
that's a really well made trailer

I like

Shaikar
July 21 2011, 09:55:41 PM
I vanted orange. It gave me lemon lime.Poor Gunther, he was right all along!

Rosur2
July 21 2011, 11:30:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGzpzlvf0Gs

Nice.

Melichor
July 22 2011, 12:13:27 AM
That is a pretty badass trailer

Dogbeast
July 22 2011, 04:06:45 AM
That is a pretty badass trailer
Agreed. Reminded me of the Mantel commercials for Haze (on PS3). However, that game apparently was pretty bad and was a PS3 exclusive. Hopefully Deus Ex won't follow in the same footsteps.

Melichor
July 22 2011, 04:09:32 AM
I am trying to hold out hope...why make a really good trailer then make the game shit (I know, I know...)

omeg
July 22 2011, 09:07:15 AM
Great trailer. And probably what will happen in reality as well. ;)

Fallout
July 22 2011, 10:06:29 AM
Play the leaked game untill you can walk around the streets (intro and 1 mission) and by that time you should know its awesome.

BLEURRRRGH
July 22 2011, 02:07:00 PM
Was checking the game out on Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Limited/dp/B004XH7HT8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1311343217&sr=1-2). They don't seem to have the Augmented Edition for the 360 available. Any ideas why that would be or any suggestions for alternative retailers?

Still not sure whether I want it on the PC or 360. The graphics on the 360 would definitely be better, given I'd be playing on a 3 year old MacBook Pro, but the AI is meant to be tougher on the PC. It's also cheaper for the PC.

Cool09
July 22 2011, 02:12:23 PM
Was checking the game out on Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Limited/dp/B004XH7HT8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1311343217&sr=1-2). They don't seem to have the Augmented Edition for the 360 available. Any ideas why that would be or any suggestions for alternative retailers?

Still not sure whether I want it on the PC or 360. The graphics on the 360 would definitely be better, given I'd be playing on a 3 year old MacBook Pro, but the AI is meant to be tougher on the PC. It's also cheaper for the PC.

1. Buy proper desktop
2. Enjoy better everything
3. ???
4. Profit!

Daneel Trevize
July 22 2011, 02:15:27 PM
1. Buy proper desktop
3. Sell MacBook Pro
4. Literally Profit!FYP

BLEURRRRGH
July 22 2011, 02:26:28 PM
1. Buy proper desktop
3. Sell MacBook Pro
4. Literally Profit!
FYP

And there I was, enjoying this thread because it was pretty much troll free ...

Spawinte
July 22 2011, 02:49:39 PM
Its developed for consoles and ported to PC so no monster PC required. I run other console ports such as Mass Effect 2 and Oblivion at full HD on a machine thats 2 graphics generations behind the latest.

Mona
July 22 2011, 03:05:14 PM
Was checking the game out on Amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Limited/dp/B004XH7HT8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1311343217&sr=1-2). They don't seem to have the Augmented Edition for the 360 available.

Yesterday I've received mail from them that PC Colector's Edition is available, but still not on the page.

Any ideas why that would be or any suggestions for alternative retailers?

http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Xbox-360/Shooter-First-Person/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Augmented-Edition/~r352991/?s=deus+ex

http://www.sendit.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/deus-ex-3-human-revolution-augmented-edition/10291297.html

Raimo
July 24 2011, 09:08:45 PM
1. Buy proper desktop
3. Sell 360 and MacBook Pro
4. Profit!

FYP 2.0

Also fucking fuck quoting sucks in this shitty vb

Gesadt
July 30 2011, 02:25:54 PM
repost from rps:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/forums/showthread.php?861-PC-Gamer-Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-review

PC Gamer DXHR review:

http://i.imgur.com/qD7Xt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/N8eGj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0dYgQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gJie2.jpg

looks like only downside is non optional combat-only boss fights.

Aramendel
July 30 2011, 06:00:20 PM
Damn it, and I can only play it in October, stuck with a netbook all September. :cut:

arian snow
July 30 2011, 06:06:28 PM
Its developed for consoles and ported to PC so no monster PC required. I run other console ports such as Mass Effect 2 and Oblivion at full HD on a machine thats 2 graphics generations behind the latest.

Oblivion was one of the most demaning PC games of its time, hardly a run of the mill console port like Mass Effect 2, with it's tiny levels (bitter).

FatFreddy
August 13 2011, 01:05:34 PM
Raged a little at the two different pre-orders DLCs, then just ordered the normal edition on steam

first full price game bought in ages...all fingers and toes crossed

kyrieee
August 13 2011, 02:37:52 PM
You can get the game at www.greenmangaming.com for 35€/$ if you enter the promo code:
20PEC-TWEET-SAVER

They give you a Steam code to activate when the game comes out. I bought it there so will see if it works.

Jolin
August 13 2011, 03:00:02 PM
When is it releasing anyway?

Devec
August 13 2011, 03:06:39 PM
Have we all suddenly forgotten g2play (http://www.g2play.net/store/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Steam-Key.html)?

No augmented edition though.

Fachiri
August 13 2011, 04:01:03 PM
When is it releasing anyway?

NA August 23, 2011
AU August 25, 2011
EU August 26, 2011
JP September 8, 2011

Eidolon
August 17 2011, 01:09:48 AM
For some reason, Square apparently thought it'd be a good idea to make the PC version region-locked. (http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59795&ret=main&id=2134&la=2&pv=20&SQEXSC=7qllfsuh1m4mt4363djgb80jn3) No details yet, but there's rumours the UK version won't work if you're in mainland Europe. :facepalm:

orcane
August 17 2011, 08:46:45 AM
There's no :facepalm: big enough if this is true...

Navigator Six
August 17 2011, 08:54:01 AM
There's no :facepalm: big enough if this is true...
When I bought Civ4 on Steam it looked like they had region-locked versions, but Steam just gave me all of them. 8-) Might do something similar here.

BLEURRRRGH
August 17 2011, 09:25:41 AM
For some reason, Square apparently thought it'd be a good idea to make the PC version region-locked. (http://support.eu.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=59795&ret=main&id=2134&la=2&pv=20&SQEXSC=7qllfsuh1m4mt4363djgb80jn3) No details yet, but there's rumours the UK version won't work if you're in mainland Europe. :facepalm:

So I have to wait a month until I return to England before buying it. Great.

El Capitano
August 17 2011, 09:34:44 AM
I'm fairly certain that region locking like that is illegal, it breaches EU trading laws.

Mona
August 17 2011, 09:39:20 AM
Fuck it.
DX3 just moved from "preorder" to "next -50% Steam sale".

orcane
August 17 2011, 09:42:59 AM
Had augmented edition pre-ordered from Amazon UK since February or w/e, now very tempted to cancel, not buy the game and pirate it and hoping to get special edition bonuses from the usual sources...

Also

I’m pissed off about the AAA industry in general and the sheer contempt it has for PC gamers in particular. A side-serving of bile is reserved not so much for Steam as for the community’s doe-like acceptance of its creeping tyranny. I hope the whole industry crashes and burns and that when it does I’m there to stomp on the pieces.
this

kyrieee
August 17 2011, 11:40:21 AM
I'm fairly certain that region locking like that is illegal, it breaches EU trading laws.

It is, doesn't mean they won't get away with it though.
Keys from GMG are apparently region free

Mona
August 18 2011, 01:49:54 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/dxhr-no-longer-region-locked-in-europe/

Dregek
August 18 2011, 05:49:49 PM
game just got released on to the web, console versions this morning and pc version an hour ago, only a russian pc version atm though rumors that there is a english version about to hit, given that i have pre-ordered i think i shall torrent it also........ i cannot wait any longer for my deus ex fix

BLEURRRRGH
August 18 2011, 06:13:44 PM
game just got released on to the web, console versions this morning and pc version an hour ago, only a russian pc version atm though rumors that there is a english version about to hit, given that i have pre-ordered i think i shall torrent it also........ i cannot wait any longer for my deus ex fix

Think I'll torrent it too to see if it runs on my laptop. If it does, I'll preorder it for PC ... if not, I'll preorder it on the XBox. Course, if it looks crap, I'll ignore it altogether, though I hope this won't be the case. Been waiting a decade for this game!!!

kyrieee
August 18 2011, 07:18:01 PM
Your new sig is more messed up than your last one

Fachiri
August 19 2011, 01:25:25 AM
Pre-loading is a go.

Dregek
August 19 2011, 01:27:09 AM
pre-loading completed :P

god i love virgin media 100mb/s :P

Sunabi
August 19 2011, 01:35:55 AM
Pre-loading is a go.

Holy crap. Well, I know what my internet connection is doing tonight.

Dregek
August 19 2011, 03:44:33 AM
http://www.teamfortress.com/deus-ex/

Fachiri
August 19 2011, 03:51:44 AM
Nano balaclava :lol:

Iloni Atoriandra
August 19 2011, 03:40:09 PM
Out to pirate on console now, anyone know if its up for PC?

Ive bought it on Steam but wanna play now.

Surveyor
August 19 2011, 03:50:22 PM
Not proper yet.

Iloni Atoriandra
August 19 2011, 03:53:50 PM
Will have a look on bitgamer tonight and see if theres a non Russian one up.

Aramendel
August 19 2011, 05:07:29 PM
There is no crack out yet even for the russian one anyway.

kyrieee
August 20 2011, 06:52:53 PM
I have this shit pre-loaded and it won't unlock until friday whereas it unlocks on tuesday in the US
Fuck that shit

Cerzi
August 20 2011, 07:52:04 PM
welcome to europe

Mr Marram
August 20 2011, 08:26:28 PM
So, what is it like?
Open choices and gameplay like the original or is it a shitty dumbed down console port like IW?

FatFreddy
August 20 2011, 08:33:05 PM
So, what is it like?

Not sure if lazy or illiterate

Tellenta
August 20 2011, 08:33:44 PM
I have this shit pre-loaded and it won't unlock until friday whereas it unlocks on tuesday in the US
Fuck that shit
No worries if you were in Australia it wouldn't unlock until 6 months after everyone stopped playing and moved to the next new thing.

Fallout
August 20 2011, 08:57:33 PM
So, what is it like?
Open choices and gameplay like the original or is it a shitty dumbed down console port like IW?

The choices in the leaked demo thing were pretty open. A hostage situation had about 4 different ways of solving it and then another mission where you have to get into a police station had about 3 or 4 different ways of getting in and doing the objective.

FatFreddy
August 20 2011, 09:03:39 PM
Still afraid of much and much bad "cool" dialogue etc., Adam Jensen's appearance alone is that of a future bro douchebag

Aramendel
August 20 2011, 09:56:26 PM
The Deus Ex (1) guy had pretty much the same style though.

FatFreddy
August 20 2011, 10:02:03 PM
but he was cooler because it was Deux Ex 1 and you shall never say a bad word about it

Also he just wore a normal, badass trenchcoat. New guy has this 'fancy' design shit b2b combat gear. And there are "cool smoking pose" designs of him. JC didn't need that, when he wanted a kick he took a dose of zyme and washed it down with a nice bottle of red wine before he went on to clear out innocent civilians bank accounts.

Fallout
August 20 2011, 11:01:16 PM
You don't really notice it when your playing the game though.

kyrieee
August 20 2011, 11:11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3ZWvfff-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnhNyRiAfE&feature=related

Lusulpher
August 22 2011, 04:31:56 AM
BOSS.

That character is boss.
Look, at his freaking resume! :D

Also, here's hoping game plays like Ghost in The Shell: The Videogame. :obama:
Also, hoping Monsanto/GE/Xe buys every copy and causes an actual riot.

kyrieee
August 22 2011, 03:01:06 PM
The review embargo doesn't lift for another hour but Destructoid's review is up anyway

9.5/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-deus-ex-human-revolution-209544.phtml

I don't trust that particular reviewer though.

BLEURRRRGH
August 22 2011, 03:21:33 PM
The review embargo doesn't lift for another hour but Destructoid's review is up anyway

9.5/10
http://www.destructoid.com/review-deus-ex-human-revolution-209544.phtml

I don't trust that particular reviewer though.

And now it's down:

This post is not live and only visible to editors

kyrieee
August 22 2011, 03:49:50 PM
Well fuck them here's the review

Review: Deus Ex: Human Revolution

In the year 2027, mankind is about to enter a new era of self-propagated evolution. Technology that blends man and machine has allowed "augmented" humans to run faster, think quicker, grow stronger, and rise above their genetics to be the person they want to be -- provided they have a lot of money and don't mind requiring lifelong medication to ensure their bodies don't reject the enhancements.

Oh, and they'll have to endure contempt from everybody who isn't like them, fear growing civil unrest, and live in a world rife with unchecked corporate power and corrupt political machinations.

Yes, the world of Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a miserable one. However, you won't want it to end.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PC [reviewed], PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 [reviewed])
Developer: Eidos Montreal
Publisher: Square Enix
To be released: August 23, 2011
MSRP: $59.99 (PS3, 360) / $49.99 (PC)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution tells the story of Adam Jensen, head of security at Sarif Industries, an American corporation making huge strides in augmentation technology. However, not all of humanity is appreciative of Sarif's dabbling in human progress, and after a group of mercenaries attacks the company headquarters, Jensen is mortally wounded. He doesn't quite die, however, becoming both the beneficiary and victim of his own company's latest step forward in human modification. He returns to the world of the living better than he ever was, but that doesn't mean he has to be happy about it. After all, he never asked for this.

Thus the scene is set for a game that travels around the world, weaving social commentary and philosophy on the nature of transhumanism throughout a tale that touches on corporate espionage, global conspiracy, and well-intentioned extremism. As well as living up to the sacred legacy kickstarted by the original Deus Ex, Human Revolution's narrative takes the very best of Metal Gear Solid, merrily pinches elements from Blade Runner, and adds its own unique blend of fascinating characters and satisfying plot twists. It is, in short, one of the most intriguingly written, thematically ambitious games I have ever played.

In no small part does Human Revolution owe its narrative success to an absorbing atmosphere. This crapsack world, driven by stunning advances in technology but stifled by class conflict and growing social resentment, is an absolute joy to navigate despite being so utterly depressing. From the tightly designed action stages to the overwhelming hub maps, there's a consistency to the game's world that one only rarely sees, and everything from interactive newspapers, hacked emails and conversations between non-player characters creates a compelling ambiance for a world that is hard to want to leave. It's most certainly a world nobody in their right mind would ever want to live in, but it's an intoxicating place to visit.

Human Revolution is mindful of the huge weight that the Deus Ex name carries, and I am thrilled to report that it lives up to the daunting demands that such a pedigree entails. As with the original classic, this is a game designed to let you play it your way, with a variety of upgradable augmentations to create an Adam Jensen that suits your personal idiom. Whether you want to be stealthy or aggressive, lethal or merciful, you have the tools to do the job. The game breaks itself into four very distinct play styles, all designed to bleed into each other and provide players with a variety of options and backup plans. The styles are combat, hacking, stealth, and social, with each one deserving of its own review.

Combat is a unique blend of first-person and third-person gameplay, where forward-thinking and pragmatic actions are rewarded. While there is a run-and-gun option in the first-person perspective, such activity would be suicide. Even when one fully upgrades their ability to absorb damage, Jensen is far from immortal and will drop in seconds when exposed to gunfire. With a right-click (or shoulder button press), however, Jensen will stick to a wall and the camera will shift to a third-person perspective. This is not only crucial for stealthy play, it also gives a great vantage point in what can become a very intense cover-based shooter. Success in combat isn't just determined by picking a bit of cover and opening fire, however -- the enemy A.I. is some of the most aggressive and adaptive I've seen, with opponents more than happy to flank, initiate pincer attackers, and even retreat to their own cover when needed.

Success in combat is determined by careful planning. Securing an exit should things go wrong, choosing (and changing) advantageous positions, and identifying which target to fire upon first, as well as which weapons to use, are crucial. This is not a game that just lets you open fire and trust in your reflexes; this is a game in which strategy is just as important as skill. Adam Jensen may be an augmented human, but he is still a human, and the game never lets you forget it.

Stealth is simply superb, and players who wish to remain subtle will find that the game is perfectly tailored to their secret-agent fantasies. The third-person viewpoint in cover gives players an excellent view of the surrounding area and allows them to memorize enemy movement patterns without becoming exposed. Even with this benefit, however, stealth is no cakewalk. Enemies don't just march along patrol routes, oblivious to their surroundings. They love to intermittently walk backwards, or stop at crossroads in corridors to check all available directions. Sometimes players only get a brief window of opportunity in which they can act, and failure can mean a swift death unless there's a good place to hide.

This said, the enemy A.I. isn't at a genius level, and can be broken. While opposing soldiers are formidable foes in battle, they can be exploited in ways that sometimes take the sting out of the immersion. For instance, they can very happily stand in front of air vents while you're crouched inside and allow themselves to be shot to death. Sometimes they'll stand back and fire into the vent, or toss grenades in there, but other times they'll be sitting ducks. For the most part, stealth and combat can be tense, but there are those moments where the game can be twisted in unscrupulous ways.

Whether players choose to be stealthy or violent, they will find that the "Takedown" ability is a lifesaver. When Adam gets close to an enemy, he can instantly neutralize him with a single keystroke. The camera will switch to third-person and Jensen will take down an opponent with a beautiful, empowering combat animation. Simply pressing the "Q" key will see Adam knock an enemy unconscious, whereas keeping it held will cause him to extend some vicious blades from his arm and put the poor victim away permanently. Do not think that this skill is a game-breaker, however. Adam can only perform takedowns if he has at least one full energy bar, and only the first bar ever recharges automatically (others need to be refilled by consumable items). Furthermore, takedowns always make noise (with lethal ones being louder) and will alert nearby enemies. Unless Adam can drag the body to a hiding place and make a daring escape, alarm bells will ring pretty quickly.

Hacking is by far one of the most essential elements of the game, and it's highly recommended that hack augmentations are equipped early. Not only does hacking net significant amounts of XP (used to obtain "Praxis" kits, which buy new augmentations) and cash, it also unlocks doors to vital equipment and plot-sensitive areas, rewards players with heaps of cool information and Easter eggs, and eliminates various security measures such as lasers, alarms, cameras and turrets.

The hacking system is a surprisingly enjoyable minigame in which you capture various nodes on a map, with the goal being to reach a green sphere that cracks the network. Along the way, there are special nodes that bestow extra benefits such as XP and cash bonuses, or make the network easier to complete. However, each node captured has a chance to alert the network, which will begin a countdown that ends with the hacker getting booted. Hackers can also fortify nodes to slow down network traces, and use collectible software to bolster their efforts -- notably the "Stop" worm that temporarily halts network tracing and the "Nuke" virus that instantly captures a node without the threat of detection. Despite the initial sense of intimidation that the hacking system can radiate, it's a deceptively simple game that rewards forward thinking, careful planning, and useful augmentations.

The only downside to the hacking is that various cool skills, such as the ability to control enemy turrets and robots, aren't all that useful. Their applicable uses in the game are minimal due to the limited number of computers that actually control such items, and the sheer effort it takes to reach them (chances are good that if you got to a security computer that controls robots, you've either already neutralized the enemies that the robot could have attacked, or have no need to re-enter the area it patrols). One can safely save their Praxis kits and ignore the turret/robot augments, but other hacking upgrades are damn near vital.

Finally, we have the social gameplay. This aspect is presented as a variety of "Social Boss Battles" in which Jensen must verbally outwit an opponent in a debate. This represents one of the game's most accomplished innovations, and also its biggest missed opportunity. In short, these conversational fights are incredibly well done, with the player needing to anticipate which responses will work best against characters, using whatever they've learned about their personalities and how they react to Jensen's words. While the facial animations aren't quite on par with L.A. Noire, there's still a lot to be gleaned from seeing how a character's expression changes throughout a conversation, and how stressed or angry they become with provocative statements. Each of these sequences is engaging and unique, just as accomplished as anything found in RPGs like Mass Effect.

Unfortunately, these moments are also quite easy. The game's one social augmentation, which allows players to better read opponents and release pheromones to influence their reactions, is simply not needed. I was able to win every social boss battle in the game without using the ability; it's not difficult at all to see which responses will work against the strongly designed personalities Jensen encounters. In fact, while replaying the game's first debate, I tried to fail and still ended up succeeding. Furthermore, these boss fights are simply too rare. While I appreciate that Eidos Montreal probably didn't want to bog the game down with too much conversation, I felt they really could have added a few more of these sequences and lost nothing.

As previously stated, all of these gameplay types are enhanced with a variety of augmentations. Over the course of the game, it's possible to obtain almost all of them, although the order in which they are claimed is entirely up to the player, and they vary in usefulness from essential to practically pointless. With well-chosen augments, Jensen will be able to sprint longer, take extra damage, hack more efficiently, jump from tall buildings without dying, and punch through walls. There are some really cool powers, but there are duff ones as well. The Typhoon, for example, sends out a 360-degree shockwave that kills anything caught in its radius. However, due to it being suicidal to get surrounded by enemies, the practical application of such an ability is negligible at best. You'd have to go out of your way to set up a situation where it'd be needed, and there's always a better strategy on offer. Same goes for the ability to perform takedowns on two enemies at once. While it sounds great in theory -- and I should note, the animations are awesome -- it's very rare to have two enemies close enough together for it to work, and even rarer for such a takedown to be a sensible tactic.

I would rather have had several of these worthless augmentations nixed in order for deeper enhancements to others. The cloaking system, the ability to see through walls, and the social abilities could have had a lot more done with them, and Eidos could have come up with additional practical uses for the more alluring powers. As it stands, the game very clearly favors players with certain abilities -- chiefly, hacking skills, high jumps, extra lifting strength and the power to fall from great heights. With these skills unlocked as soon as possible, there is nowhere that Adam cannot explore, whereas specializing in other augmentations early on will cause the player to miss out on several worthwhile areas.

One cannot be too upset by this, however, considering the excellent uses of the truly worthwhile powers. As explained earlier, it should never be forgotten that Jensen is a human, one who can die very easily when handled without care, but players will still feel like a cut above their human inferiors when they can smash through a wall and break the neck of the poor goon standing on the other side. It's just one of those things that never gets old.

There's no question about Human Revolution's sheer volume of content. There's lots to see, even more to do, and multiple ways of enjoying both. While one could theoretically blast through Human Revolution in eight or ten hours, there's much, much more to be getting on with. City-based hub areas contain side quests that are as lengthy and intricate as any of the mandatory tasks. I managed to spend a whole five hours simply wandering around the Detroit hub, soaking in the sights, exploring every square inch, listening to enthralling NPC conversations, and beating all the quests.

What truly impresses isn't so much the scale of the game, but its staggering consistency of quality. Every quest is a compelling story; every level is beautifully, ingeniously designed; and not once does the game ever become dull or lose its pacing. The only notable issues are small and forgettable -- sometimes an NPC's dialog won't sync with its mouth properly, and on the Xbox 360, earning Achievements causes the game to stutter temporarily. The PC version's biggest issue is that cutscenes are very badly compressed; otherwise it's a gorgeous game with mouse and keyboard controls that feel intuitive and surprisingly well-adapted to stealth-based gameplay. Of course, hacking's also a lot easier when one doesn't use a gamepad.

Whether you go for console or PC, however, you will be impressed with the visuals. The art direction, with its heavy focus on shades of gold and contrasting black, makes for a game that looks like none other, and the impressive animations, finely detailed environments, and stylish augmentation effects only seal the deal. This is a beautiful videogame, and that beauty is carried over into the sound. Voice acting is solid (though one or two black characters seem alarmingly close to caricatures), explosions and weapon effects feel heavy and impactful, and the musical score is sublime. If you're looking for a game with production values, then Eidos Montreal has delivered more than you could have bargained for.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution, like its augmented hero, is a step above its mundane peers. With its flowing, open approach to mission structure, thoroughly engrossing story and gorgeous visuals, this is the kind of game that all others should strive to be. While there are some elements that don't feel quite as developed as they should have been, and augmentation is more Hobson's choice than true choice, Human Revolution provides a level of quality that only the most adamant cynic could fail to be impressed by. More importantly, it is everything a fan of Deus Ex could want in a game, and it effortlessly embraces the arduous task of living up to the legacy, standing next to its 2000 predecessor and holding its head up in pride.

This game is truly deserving of the name Deus Ex. In fact, there's no other name it could have had.

Final Verdict 9.5/10

Superb: 9s are a hallmark of excellence. There may be flaws, but they are negligible and won't cause massive damage to what is a supreme example of its genre.

kyrieee
August 22 2011, 04:31:34 PM
IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1189591p1.html) - 9/10

EDGE (http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/deus-ex-human-revolution-review) - 9/10

Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/22/deus-ex-human-revolution-review/) - 4.5/5

Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2011/08/the-future-begins-with-you-ars-review-deus-ex-human-revolution.ars)

Rock Paper Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/22/70336/)

1UP (http://www.1up.com/reviews/review-deus-human-revolution-best-stealth-action-mgs) - A (A+ is their highest)

Daneel Trevize
August 22 2011, 04:51:05 PM
Which makes stupid mistakes stand out like throbbing pimples on a beautiful pristine face. And the pimpliest of them all are the boss fights.

Yes, indeed. This most inappropriate of places has boss fights. Which would be ignominious enough if they weren’t incredibly lousy boss fights. Feeling as though they were programmed by another team, from another planet, they absolutely, unequivocally do not fit in this game. They’re the sort of inclusion that you can only think, “I can’t wait until enough time has passed that the developers will feel able to tell the miserable story of why this happened.”

It sucks that they’re there at all, and it sucks more that they’re all so boring and tedious, lacking even the grace of a classic Nintendo boss fight that at least contains a logical path. But what goes so far beyond just sucking is the betrayal they represent. Here all illusion of choice is gone. All playing styles are abandoned. Playing as someone killing no one, learning that the first fight at least, early on in the game, forces me to kill a man almost put me off the game entirely. Despite only using stuns, EMPs and tranqs on him, I was still treated to a cutscene of a man covered in bullet wounds and blood, gasping his last words as he died. And my clear response was: Fuck you.

I didn’t play for two days.

In the end, the only sensible response is to pretend they’re not there. They have so little to do with the game, and their inclusion makes so little sense, that it’s oddly easy to pretend they didn’t happen. Bizarrely their impact on the plot is minimal, and in they end they’re not actually that hard, so really you can switch off, angrily get past, and then carry on playing the splendid Deus Ex game you were enjoying.

Brisi
August 22 2011, 04:57:03 PM
Fuck, I so can't afford to buy this game right now, and was hoping it was shit so I didn't have to. But after reading the RPS review I definately have to. FML.

Izo Azlion
August 22 2011, 08:40:00 PM
This, World of Tanks, and KSP are a great way of covering time until... BF3 :D

Looking forwards too it.

Dregek
August 23 2011, 12:03:54 AM
proxy'ing steam via the us so 8hrs till unlock :S

Surveyor
August 23 2011, 12:29:39 AM
SO if i buy it in EU i can activate it early with a proxy?

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 12:45:37 AM
Yeah, you can use a trial of FlyVPN for example. Connect to a US server, start Steam, unlock it, set to offline mode, then disconnect.

I might do it, a couple of people claim to have done it with several games like Brink, DA2, Bordelands etc. but I'm still not sure if I want to risk my account, I have 150+ games. I read through the license agreement but there's nothing there explicitly forbidding it. I have no idea about the general legality of it. Some threads describing how to do it have been closed on the Steam forums although that's not that strange. I don't think Valve are looking for it or really care, but you never know.

Surveyor
August 23 2011, 01:45:44 AM
Yeah thanks. I still haven't bought it anywhere and tbh steams goodies don't touch me in any way (lolhats). Overall the retail specials seem to be the better ones but thy can likely be acuired by other means. I'm unsure if i should wait or wait and pray for a fast response from the Robin Hoods of the modern :psyduck:

Dregek
August 23 2011, 02:30:10 AM
ive done it a few times now with no problems

Surveyor
August 23 2011, 02:43:26 AM
Will give it a try later on. Preloading right now. My searches hint to 2 important points you ahve to respect, then you are 'fine'.
1. Don't buy i cheaper with a proxy
2. Don't manipulate your Steam

So buying it in Germany, preloading it 'here' and then activating it via proxy does not violate any EULA and Steam turns a blind eye to it, win:win.
See ya in 8h (or so)

Dregek
August 23 2011, 04:03:24 AM
Will give it a try later on. Preloading right now. My searches hint to 2 important points you ahve to respect, then you are 'fine'.
1. Don't buy i cheaper with a proxy
2. Don't manipulate your Steam

So buying it in Germany, preloading it 'here' and then activating it via proxy does not violate any EULA and Steam turns a blind eye to it, win:win.
See ya in 8h (or so)

pretty much this, as long as your only activating the game you'll stay below steams radar and wont get banned, but buying the game via a proxy to get it cheaper will be setting off a flare. if you really want it cheaper, get someone you trust(lol) who lives in said country to gift it to you and pay them via paypal

Aramendel
August 23 2011, 05:26:38 AM
Or just use g2play.net.

Dregek
August 23 2011, 06:50:28 AM
10 MOTHER FUCKING MINUTES

Fachiri
August 23 2011, 06:54:46 AM
10 MOTHER FUCKING MINUTES

Last few minutes before a game on Steam unlocks are the worst. :ohnoes:

Dregek
August 23 2011, 06:57:40 AM
I know lol, im sitting here fully prepared. my mini fridge is fully stocked :D

Fachiri
August 23 2011, 06:59:29 AM
Holy crap it's actually on time. Decrypting gooo.

Dregek
August 23 2011, 07:08:25 AM
http://www.onebit.us/images/decryptmim.png

:D

Sandzibar
August 23 2011, 08:41:10 AM
I trust you will be playing in sunglasses and your deus ex trenchcoat (http://eu.deusex-store.com/product/EGX-D3_COAT-VT-001_Trenchcoat) for maximum immersion.

Lusc
August 23 2011, 09:54:59 AM
I trust you will be playing in sunglasses and your deus ex trenchcoat (http://eu.deusex-store.com/product/EGX-D3_COAT-VT-001_Trenchcoat) for maximum immersion.

HOLY SHIT....DO FUCKING WANT!!!!

mira o'karr
August 23 2011, 10:01:13 AM
says it is not out until 26th on steam?

is this one of those shitty staggered releases again?

omeg
August 23 2011, 11:13:18 AM

Europe is 3rd world obviously.

Surveyor
August 23 2011, 11:19:05 AM
Europe is 3rd world obviously.

Yeah :(

orcane
August 23 2011, 12:05:43 PM

of course it is, brave new "digital distribution owns your soul" world and all

Cerzi
August 23 2011, 12:08:25 PM
tuesday/friday seperation between US and EU has always been the case. it's just an outdated procedure now that steam.

Shaikar
August 23 2011, 12:18:56 PM
It takes about 4 days for the coils containing the data electrons to be loaded onto a ship, that ship to travel accross the atlantic then be unloaded in Rotterdam and then lorries to deliver them to the various datacentres etc for digital distribution.

FatFreddy
August 23 2011, 12:20:46 PM
And if someone drops the container and all the bits fall over, the whole procedure has to repeated from scratch :\

Fallout
August 23 2011, 12:22:39 PM
quoting from another forum

For uk people

log out of steam, type vpn into your start bar search

use the US settings from this site http://www.vpnsurfing.com/2011/06/3-...pn-canada-vpn/

log into steam, run the game, let it unlock and set up (takes quite a while), run it once just to make sure, go into offline mode, and stay in offline mode until release

remove the vpn by clicking internet access bit beside the clock

also, as a note, I just got an achievement, so it looks like they still work

Aphyd
August 23 2011, 12:29:59 PM
Oh fuck, I have a US VPN. Awesome's a comin'. :D

Cerzi
August 23 2011, 12:32:05 PM
Will this still work now that its released in the US?

Just need to find a secure VPN...

Mangala Solaris
August 23 2011, 12:40:22 PM
The VPN thing worked great, playing now.

I think the rest of the week is going to have to happen without me.

Armag3ddon
August 23 2011, 01:08:13 PM
this game is made of naught but win and awesome, so far having fun exploring the Detroit hub atm

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 01:08:54 PM
Can there be any concerns for password security when using a VPN?

Cerzi
August 23 2011, 01:31:24 PM
Yes, if it's not got SSL. Tempted to just use any old VPN anyway and just change my password immediately afterwards...

Mona
August 23 2011, 02:29:57 PM
And Steam Guard should block attempt to log in from an unknown computer anyway.

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 02:44:34 PM
Can't change password without starting Steam in online mode at which point you can't launch DX again

Iloni Atoriandra
August 23 2011, 02:59:17 PM
I used http://openvpn.net/ and decrypting now.

Vax
August 23 2011, 03:03:56 PM
pretty much this, as long as your only activating the game you'll stay below steams radar and wont get banned, but buying the game via a proxy to get it cheaper will be setting off a flare. if you really want it cheaper, get someone you trust(lol) who lives in said country to gift it to you and pay them via paypal

i did exactly this via openvpn/linux box i rented in the US. paid via CC with a semi-fake new york billing adress i got from google. no problem at all yet. been doing this for a year or so now. german censoring laws on games are pretty strict and also saving a good chunk of bucks while the US government is manipulating its own currency to shit... why not?

Tyrehl
August 23 2011, 03:19:39 PM
i did exactly this via openvpn/linux box i rented in the US. paid via CC with a semi-fake new york billing adress i got from google. no problem at all yet. been doing this for a year or so now. german censoring laws on games are pretty strict and also saving a good chunk of bucks while the US government is manipulating its own currency to shit... why not?
Sounds like double-win to me.

Surveyor
August 23 2011, 03:24:42 PM
How does openVPN work? I got past the decypting but i'm stuck at installing directx :/

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 03:45:34 PM

If you get caught buying through a VPN your account DOES get banned.

How does openVPN work? I got past the decypting but i'm stuck at installing directx :/

That's unrelated, you should be fine

Iloni Atoriandra
August 23 2011, 03:49:36 PM
Playing it now, put it in offline mode to play before the game is actually out here.

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 03:55:33 PM
On Topic: I've only done the first real mission and some debriefing afterwards and I already love this game. The art design is amazing.

Izo Azlion
August 23 2011, 05:06:01 PM
Love you guys. Free VPN usage for the fucking win.

Mona
August 23 2011, 05:19:45 PM
Can you play in Japanese?

FatFreddy
August 23 2011, 05:21:08 PM
Love you guys. Free VPN usage for the fucking win.

Vax
August 23 2011, 05:26:04 PM
waiting for SKIDROW to deliver teh goods

Izo Azlion
August 23 2011, 05:43:10 PM
This game is making my PC crash like fuck...

Disabled DX11, updated graphics drivers, disabled Eyefinity, running on one individual screen at 1920x1080, removed my Overclock... Not sure whats up, but when I exit the first room and get half way through that lab talking to the lass, it stutters then bluescreens. :/

Mangala Solaris
August 23 2011, 05:53:07 PM
That happened to a buddy of mine, turns out it was some random ati dll from a very old set of drivers from when he used ati cards and so on, that was fucking it all up.

FatFreddy
August 23 2011, 05:54:42 PM
does openvpn only record browsing stuffs? Currently downloading english language update and the traffic count is not updating.

edit: nvm, it did. purchased 50GB :D

Iloni Atoriandra
August 23 2011, 06:33:18 PM
Pro tip: Dont get caught trying to hack shit in the police station!

Mona
August 23 2011, 06:43:05 PM
Protip: use spoilers ffs.

Fallout
August 23 2011, 07:33:37 PM
I just stole everything not nailed down in the police station lol, hacked everything, stole their prototype gun in the armory. The stun gun is amazing, took out like 6 different guys and hid them in vents. Anyone know where a good gun shop is?

Also not sure if any of that is a spoiler or not, its not really story related other than theres a police station you can go into.

James Snowscoran
August 23 2011, 08:35:54 PM
Also not sure if any of that is a spoiler or not, its not really story related other than theres a police station you can go into.

No, the spoiler part is more about the

prototype gun in their armory
so just use the tags ffs

BLEURRRRGH
August 23 2011, 09:06:55 PM
Protip: use spoilers ffs.

TBH, I don't plan on visiting this thread at all over the coming months :P

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 09:16:31 PM
I just stole everything not nailed down in the police station lol, hacked everything, stole their prototype gun in the armory. The stun gun is amazing, took out like 6 different guys and hid them in vents. Anyone know where a good gun shop is?

Which floor is that on? I thought I explored most of it and I didn't find any prototype weapon, unless you mean the stun gun thiny

Surveyor
August 23 2011, 09:22:54 PM
Which floor is that on? I thought I explored most of it and I didn't find any prototype weapon, unless you mean the stun gun thiny

Thats what he means

Fallout
August 23 2011, 09:26:12 PM
The P.E.P.S is what i mean in the description it says its an experimental prototype or something

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 09:35:13 PM
Regarding that
That computer was a bitch to hack lol. I loaded my save like 3-4 times

FatFreddy
August 23 2011, 09:41:58 PM
This game sure likes to crash.

Just started playing, and I'm already sold. Wazzup ladies toilets.

Dregek
August 23 2011, 09:46:40 PM
just been a 12mb patch on steam

game only crashed twice throughout for me and one of them was because my card drivers failed

warning talking about the ending in the spoilers

the ending videos are awesome but the final choice annoys me as it basically means you can do whatever the fuck you want then make what ever choice endingf you want

kyrieee
August 23 2011, 09:51:35 PM
You already beat it? What the hell? Did you do most of the sidequests?

Fallout
August 23 2011, 10:12:09 PM
Regarding that
That computer was a bitch to hack lol. I loaded my save like 3-4 times

Yeah it was, although after hacking it the hard way i hacked a computer in a room near the entrance of the police station and it has the password of the armory computer on it heh

FatFreddy
August 23 2011, 10:19:38 PM
Got unplayable now, crashes the latest after 30 seconds.

That's what I get for honestly buying a game I guess :]

Zilulil
August 23 2011, 11:45:42 PM
Anybody know how to disarm mines without them blowing up / blowing you up?

Fallout
August 23 2011, 11:56:06 PM
I threw barrels at them from a distance

Dregek
August 24 2011, 12:07:10 AM
You already beat it? What the hell? Did you do most of the sidequests?

i played 13hrs straight did all the sides i could find

Fallout
August 24 2011, 12:17:21 AM
Sidequests are hidden in city hubs according to the loading screens, so i guess you have to talk to every npc you find.

jbend9620
August 24 2011, 01:29:17 AM
my gaming experience is augmented

Dogbeast
August 24 2011, 06:57:23 AM
What augs are people getting? Atm, I'm running with the Icarus legs (so I dont die when falling), strong legs (to jump higher), max stealth hacking, lvl 4 hacking, max cargo/inventory, strong arms (to pick up heavy objects), rebreather lungs, and finally improved ocular implants so concussion nades wont hurt me so much (more like my own nades wont blind me as well).

So far, I'm sticking with the 10mm pistol, combat rifle, and sniper rifle, and upgrading the first 2 with whatever i can.

Lusc
August 24 2011, 08:02:57 AM
I threw barrels at them from a distance

haha thats great. Nice improvisation.

I know I can do the VPN but I am choosing to wait for the proper unlock in the UK. I got plenty of shit to do before I can consider playing through it anyway.

Love the engine in this game though from the videos, looks really ace.

Vax
August 24 2011, 08:43:57 AM
I know I can do the VPN but I am choosing to wait for the proper torrent

fyp you greedy bitch

FatFreddy
August 24 2011, 09:03:20 AM
fyp you greedy bitch

derp

mira o'karr
August 24 2011, 09:11:07 AM
so tempted to vpn aswell but afraid my laptop cant handle it any way so i am waiting till friday when i m back home.

orcane
August 24 2011, 12:26:30 PM
No point to VPN etc. for me - the days when I absolutely had to have a game preferrably before release day are well past, and I'm saving about over 9000 RL goldz by not buying on Steamingshit.

Amazon package will arrive soon enough, got other things to play in the meantime vOv

FatFreddy
August 24 2011, 12:39:22 PM
No point to VPN etc. for me - the days when I absolutely had to have a game preferrably before release day are well past, and I'm saving about over 9000 RL goldz by not buying on Steamingshit.

I slipped up this one, decided to take risk and promptly got the "reward" :)

Back to pirating (or buying 6-xxx months later, it's not like I have they time to even play 25% of the games I own, and I only own a handful) and only buying games from studios/platforms who treat their customers like they actually respect them. Like Torchlight 2, which is coming up.

Fallout
August 24 2011, 12:46:01 PM
What augs are people getting? Atm, I'm running with the Icarus legs (so I dont die when falling), strong legs (to jump higher), max stealth hacking, lvl 4 hacking, max cargo/inventory, strong arms (to pick up heavy objects), rebreather lungs, and finally improved ocular implants so concussion nades wont hurt me so much (more like my own nades wont blind me as well).

So far, I'm sticking with the 10mm pistol, combat rifle, and sniper rifle, and upgrading the first 2 with whatever i can.

Max inventory, Stealth, some leg enhancements, social enhancement, some energy upgrades and hacking up to lvl 3. For weapons i have the combat rifle, pistol, sniper, and peps.

Ive only ever used the peps on the first boss and even then im not sure it did anything to him but i like keeping it anyway lol

I slipped up this one, decided to take risk and promptly got the "reward" :)

Back to pirating (or buying 6-xxx months later, it's not like I have they time to even play 25% of the games I own, and I only own a handful) and only buying games from studios/platforms who treat their customers like they actually respect them. Like Torchlight 2, which is coming up.

Sure its not something with your PC? Ive had no issues at all with the game and it seems to be fine for most people.

FatFreddy
August 24 2011, 01:21:04 PM
Max inventory, Stealth, some leg enhancements, social enhancement, some energy upgrades and hacking up to lvl 3. For weapons i have the combat rifle, pistol, sniper, and peps.

Ive only ever used the peps on the first boss and even then im not sure it did anything to him but i like keeping it anyway lol

Sure its not something with your PC? Ive had no issues at all with the game and it seems to be fine for most people.

After browsing steam and official forums: Yes, I'm by far not the only one.

For some it works, other get the full "no working game for you package". There's a reason there was a very quick hotfix a few hours after release, only it didn't help ;)
Also, it's not like ever since the dawn of PC gaming games have been released in a buggy state.

Actually thought of cancelling Pre-order (EU, used VPN, but didn't want to be too cheeky)

Izo Azlion
August 24 2011, 02:26:14 PM
Game now works fine, fully uninstalled my drivers and redid them, not experienced anything bad since. 11.8 drivers for Radeon 5850 HD.

Hatepeace Lovewar
August 24 2011, 03:10:02 PM
Got stuck in the police station, was talking to the bent cop that apparently hid evidence that works on the desk and he annoyed me so much I accidently on purpose hit the 'Take out' button and smashed his face in.

The naturally wasn't well received by his colleagues who proceeeded to shoot at me. I ran out of the police station and went in via the sewers to complete the main mission, which I have, but now I can't get to the third floor because the entire station is after me and I've fuck all in the way of bullets. Can just go to the hardware store and buy some ammo, but was quite late last night so haven't got around to it yet.

Game is fucking epic.

Fachiri
August 24 2011, 04:15:46 PM
Wasn't even aware that was a possible action :lol:

Dregek
August 24 2011, 04:41:42 PM
i went max hacking, legs, arms, lungs & armor

Kate Yeats
August 24 2011, 06:03:45 PM
Plays suprisingly well on the PS3. I don't know if it is auto aim, old age, or what, but a lot easier finding heads using the sticks than with the mouse on PC

Is it me or is the AI a little easier in the retail, seemed like I had real trouble against two or more in the leak, but accidentally threw a concussion grenade in the admin building and ended up taking the whole floor out in a gun battle at the top of the stairs.

So wishing I'd written down the door codes/passwords before nuking the leak.

For augs : social enchancer (seriously, a lot of fun, give it a whirl), hacking, stealth hacking. Next will be arm strength & inventory and then cloak.

EntroX
August 24 2011, 06:36:29 PM
i should sell VPN access for some monies :V

edit: also, is the game fun from the sneaky cunt kind of gameplay?

Intigo
August 24 2011, 06:52:24 PM

yeah vpn is so hard to come by

Dark 0men
August 24 2011, 07:10:47 PM

Depends if you fail at it a lot. The savegame loading times are atrocious, 20 seconds or more.

Fallout
August 24 2011, 07:14:34 PM

Sneaky cunt is the best way to play imo. Ive done certain areas where i just kill everyone and its not as good. Sneaking around and knocking people out is the most fun.

Arele
August 24 2011, 07:40:28 PM
I had the arm of a body sticking through a wall twitching on the other side, and one of the guys stopped with the 'What's that?!" alarmed trigger. One of the best funny bugs I've seen in a while.

Surveyor
August 24 2011, 08:23:12 PM
Very i'd say. it is what MGS should have been like and i fail a lot at it xD.
I hope i get my Pacifist with this run!

XenosisReaper
August 24 2011, 09:00:31 PM
Completed MGS4 on Big Boss difficulty with 4 alerts in the entire game, I'm tempted to try this.

(You have no fucking idea how many tries it took me to do that) (FUCK FROGS)

kyrieee
August 24 2011, 09:03:03 PM
Very i'd say. it is what MGS should have been like and i fail a lot at it xD.
I hope i get my Pacifist with this run!

I think the intro section counts

Fachiri
August 24 2011, 09:31:53 PM
I think the intro section counts

I don't see why it wouldn't. Achievement specifically states that bosses don't count and it's not like it's hard to get through the intro without offing anyone.

Lusc
August 24 2011, 09:40:18 PM
fyp you greedy bitch

hahha no you see, i have to have the TF2 unlocks!! they are the shiz.

Daneel Trevize
August 24 2011, 09:58:26 PM
http://games.slashdot.org/story/11/08/24/2114216/GameStop-Opening-Deus-Ex-Boxes-Removing-Free-Game-Coupon

jbend9620
August 24 2011, 09:59:57 PM
the cunt who thought deus ex needed boss fights is a bigger faggot than the asshats who invented armor lock and dramiel combined

bosses will literally w+m1 your fucking face with a melee range attack that will usually take off most of your health. also lol if you attempt a takedown (even if they look stunned!)...you will lose half your health from that... just fucking TLKERJELKRJ:evil::evil::evil:

they are also made of fucking adamantium.

all this on "give me a challenge"

also

cloak fags can fire at you while cloaked

kyrieee
August 24 2011, 10:01:40 PM
the cunt who thought deus ex needed boss fights is a bigger faggot than the asshats who invented armor lock and dramiel combined

bosses will literally w+m1 your fucking face with a melee range attack that will usually take off most of your health. also lol if you attempt a takedown (even if they look stunned!)...you will lose half your health from that... just fucking TLKERJELKRJ:evil::evil::evil:

they are also made of fucking adamantium.

all this on "give me a challenge"

I didn't try them but I hear EMP grenades are your friends, maybe conc. ones too

jbend9620
August 24 2011, 10:05:23 PM
EMP nades are rare as fuck

also typhoon/frag mine spam ftw

EAT SHRAPNEL BITCHES

Fachiri
August 24 2011, 10:27:10 PM
EMP nades are rare as fuck

I actually found EMP grenades quite plentiful. At least after Barrett.

Though if it helps, I find the revolver pretty good for dropping them compared to the combat rifle and such. Had to resort to the heavy rifle on the third one, though, as nothing the fuck else seemed to scratch him.

also

Made like 20 attempts on the final boss before figuring out WTF to do after purging the three pods, feel like a retard.

Fallout
August 24 2011, 10:33:50 PM
Found the first two bosses easy as fuck with the EMP grenades (which are everywhere) and the stun gun on the invisible woman, dont see how they can be hard really

Fachiri
August 24 2011, 10:44:14 PM
Found the first two bosses easy as fuck with the EMP grenades (which are everywhere) and the stun gun on the invisible woman, dont see how they can be hard really

Barrett was easy as hell just with normal firearms. Same with Fedorova (the chick), just had to hit her with an EMP grenade or two to keep her visible. Third guy, Namir, was fucking terrible no matter all-around, though. Had to load an older save and make sure to whore every EMP grenade I could over normal ammo just because of the circumstances involved in that fight made it unbearable otherwise.

jbend9620
August 24 2011, 10:44:24 PM
HOLY FUCK CARS ASPLOdE

Surveyor
August 24 2011, 11:11:11 PM
Yeah i kinow, i was extra careful not to harm anyone ( ... long term ... ). But there was one passage where i took someone out and he died from gravity afterwards :derper:.
Just finished my first run so i will check now, hoping for the best!

Edit:
If you knock someone out and he dies afterwards, it counts against the achievement (yeah i know fuck achievements xD)
Up to the Legendary run, awesome game!

Fallout
August 24 2011, 11:13:02 PM
Anyone do the Talon A.D mission in Hang Sha the second time you go there? tells me to check this guys PDA which i did, mentions their hideout in the sewers, but i dont know how the fuck to find it, the only sewer hide out seems to be the harvesters

FatFreddy
August 24 2011, 11:22:20 PM
Gave system full software refreshment cure just to be sure, load savegame, crash within 2 minutes

QQ

Dogbeast
August 24 2011, 11:39:56 PM
Anyone do the Talon A.D mission in Hang Sha the second time you go there? tells me to check this guys PDA which i did, mentions their hideout in the sewers, but i dont know how the fuck to find it, the only sewer hide out seems to be the harvesters
I'm stuck on the same one as well.

Fallout
August 25 2011, 12:10:04 AM
I guess it might be bugged.

Zilulil
August 25 2011, 01:29:13 AM
Barret can be easily killed by chucking the yellow gas cannisters and red barrels at him. The gas ones stun and damage him and the red ones do a ton of damage. He died very quickly and was stun locked the entire time (kinda cheesy)

Dogbeast
August 25 2011, 04:02:08 AM
Barret can be easily killed by chucking the yellow gas cannisters and red barrels at him. The gas ones stun and damage him and the red ones do a ton of damage. He died very quickly and was stun locked the entire time (kinda cheesy)
I just used 1 EMP grenade on him, then shot him a few times with my combat rifle in the head. It was over so fast, I didn't even realize he was a boss fight until after.

FatFreddy
August 25 2011, 04:06:42 AM
Gave system full software refreshment cure just to be sure, load savegame, crash within 2 minutes

QQ

And now I saw it apparently has a China level to get lost in?

HnnnnNNNNNNNNNNnnNNNNNNgggGGgghhhhh

Ghnhg

Fitzy
August 25 2011, 09:22:18 AM
Not even done anything yet just posting to say into with shadow figures was awsome, I want to fuck Dr Reed IRL and Adam's voice actor is perfect. That is all.

Fachiri
August 25 2011, 09:26:01 AM
Fact that the voice actors for Reed and Jensen are married makes that rather hilarious, imo.

Fitzy
August 25 2011, 01:44:00 PM
Fact that the voice actors for Reed and Jensen are married makes that rather hilarious, imo.

Soooo.... it's bad that I kinda want to bang Malik on the side?

Jensen's voice is like a nice mix between husky Batman and the deep voice of J.C

Fallout
August 25 2011, 01:48:15 PM
Dont open this spoiler unless you've finished the game

Awesome ending imo, it took me about 5-10 mins to actually decide on which button to press and eventually decided to self destruct the station and kill myself. Although the extra cut scene for that ending was kinda disappointing

It seems you cant view the secret cutscene after the credits for each individual ending by loading your already completed game, seems like it needs atleast 4 playthroughs :s

jbend9620
August 25 2011, 05:14:54 PM
human revolution is credit to series!

c/c?

i pretty much horded PEPS+ammo for most of the game (its not a viable stealth weapon honestly unless you are good at making it knock people out. payed off in the end though it fucking destroys the insane people.

Izo Azlion
August 25 2011, 06:23:52 PM
First boss was easy! Why were people having trouble with him? :P

Couple of EMP grenades and a few shots to the face, then baited him close to a barrel to finish him off, all done with a 10mm silenced pistol :P

Fachiri
August 25 2011, 06:28:29 PM
Made attempt at pacifist run, got a few hours in and then realized it's fun to shoot people in the face with a 10mm pistol regularly. I'm a terrible pacifist.

Dogbeast
August 25 2011, 07:33:35 PM
Dont open this spoiler unless you've finished the game

Awesome ending imo, it took me about 5-10 mins to actually decide on which button to press and eventually decided to self destruct the station and kill myself. Although the extra cut scene for that ending was kinda disappointing

It seems you cant view the secret cutscene after the credits for each individual ending by loading your already completed game, seems like it needs atleast 4 playthroughs :s
I had no idea about that...
...secret ending. I just skipped through the credits. But as usual, Youtube was there to save me with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoYSeSq-Ahs

I figured Reed had something associated with the conspirators since about 2/3 into the game. But I always remembered how she was beaten at the beginning, and that laid a seed of doubt in my mind.

Fallout
August 25 2011, 07:42:44 PM
I had no idea about that...
...secret ending. I just skipped through the credits. But as usual, Youtube was there to save me with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoYSeSq-Ahs

I figured Reed had something associated with the conspirators since about 2/3 into the game. But I always remembered how she was beaten at the beginning, and that laid a seed of doubt in my mind.

thats the ending i had, but "keep going through the wreckage" and "i had nowhere else to go" sound specific to self destructing the facility killing you and Sarif. Im not entirely sure about Reed though, but that ending doesn't make a lot of sense if you chose to give the Sarif broadcast

Dogbeast
August 25 2011, 09:02:31 PM
thats the ending i had, but "keep going through the wreckage" and "i had nowhere else to go" sound specific to self destructing the facility killing you and Sarif. Im not entirely sure about Reed though, but that ending doesn't make a lot of sense if you chose to give the Sarif broadcast
I gave the Darrow broadcast, as that let me spill the beans on everything. Because they made me wade through all that crap in the game in order to get to the truth, fuck them for trying to hide it. Although the Sarif way was tempting as who doesn't love a good corporate style of living, with unrestricted research and testing on other humans.

RazoR
August 25 2011, 09:12:19 PM
Made attempt at pacifist run, got a few hours in and then realized it's fun to shoot people in the face with a 10mm pistol regularly. I'm a terrible pacifist.http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp7a4lu8CJ1qb7hc2o1_500.jpg

Cerzi
August 25 2011, 09:13:21 PM
There are literally zero mirrors anywhere. Whats up with that?