PDA

View Full Version : Darkfall Online

GiDiYi
April 11 2011, 07:24:40 PM
Heh, my first OP in the other games section, because nooone actually plays this game.

It's been on since around March '09, initially with just one server (EU), with an additional US server launched in July 2009 (if I am not mistaken).

It's a full-loot MMO and most players compare it to UO.

Big plus: It actually has Ginger Magician playing it and he's still the same welsh faggot he always was, but he got nerfed pretty hard lately with some changes in the gamemechanics.

Status of the server (I can only talk about EU): Population is pretty low (I'd guess around 1000 players tops online in peaktimes). Politically there's one large guild that absorbed a lot of highskilled players in the last two years. Rest of the population decided that this has to stop and formed the megazerg (meaning 300 active players in sieges) to fight them. Gamemechanic is a bit of a failure, enabling you to siege yourself with an alt-clan and by doing so you make it impossible for other parties to attack you. So we got some mexican-standoff-situation without much happening.

There's a huge patch announced that was due last year (called Darkfall 2010), but that didn't happen yet is about to roll out anytime (no, really :ccp:).

Links:

Official Site: http://www.darkfallonline.com/index.html

Official Forum (which isn't operated by the developer by the way): http://forums.darkfallonline.com/

So, what are your impressions or stories?

WiCkED
April 11 2011, 07:27:03 PM
So, what are your impressions or stories?I was thinking about playing this game last year, mehanics seem cool. But man, that is one buttugly game, I don't expect crysis 2 graphics from an MMO, but this is just way too ugly to play :roll:

lubica
April 12 2011, 12:19:09 AM
Trust me, when your survival depends on spotting the enemy before he sees you, you don't care that much about bloom or whatever. Saying that, the game does have some nice visuals, but nothing like AoC starting area for example. Spells in darkfall have a really long range, basically the horizon, arrows carry as far as your angle of fire and terrain allows and everybody is melee/archer/mage to a certain degree.

I stopped playing after 5-6 weeks, because I just didn't want to invest that much time in it. If I was 20 and back in uni, I'd be geeking 24/7.

pesadelo
April 12 2011, 12:03:15 PM
Darkfall is cool :D, but i'am playing eve and liking it now.

Hatepeace Lovewar
April 12 2011, 12:39:10 PM
Enjoyed the time spent playing it, the lack of people to play with and the horrible grind meant I couldn't do it justice, as some one mentioned already, I'd also be playing this if I was back in uni and had hours to throw away.

Real shame this isn't more popular as I genuinely think they were on to something with this.

Shaikar
April 12 2011, 12:48:04 PM
Played it at release and it was terrible. Some nice ideas but the mandatory grind can go bugger itself with a cactus, as that combined with some of the core mechanics and a release period account creation gating thing that killed the guild I was going to play with, killed my interest within a fortnight.

I've heard it's seen a lot of improvements since then so it might be good now. However I'm done with it - fool me once etc.

GiDiYi
April 12 2011, 12:56:22 PM
I agree, the grind is absolutely terrible, but it improved a lot lately, because the developer introduced meditation (aka offlineskilling) for most of the important stats.

I have a two year old char and am playing this game actively for maybe 6 months casually, therefore I've got a terribly underdeveloped char that gets nuked by pretty much everyone, but it is fun strangely. And the personal shortcomings diminish when you go out in groups. Since I am in the largest german-speaking clan of the server (with about 50 active players), I rarely go solo.

And you can fulfill support-roles with a below optimal char pretty early on. So, I definitely ain't the UBERIST, but I ain't useless either.

Iloni Atoriandra
April 12 2011, 02:36:26 PM
Played for a couple of months back on release but it got boring pretty fast although the grinding is a lot less now than it was. Not a high population in game though.

Valtis
April 13 2011, 02:43:00 PM
I resubbed to test the stats meditation, and thus far it seems pretty useful. I've spent something like 18k gold to raise my intelligence from 40 to 59 in ~6 days. With normal gameplay this would have taken months as I'm not really into grinding magic.

lubica
April 13 2011, 04:14:10 PM
where the fuck is intigo/dystopia fur(r)y?

Valtis
April 13 2011, 05:06:42 PM
I saw him few days ago ingame calling people retards for thinking that heal self is not useful spell. He is aware of failheap too so I suppose that he hasn't either bothered registering or posting.

Intigo
April 16 2011, 01:22:35 PM
How dare you call me Dystopia :( That's like comparing me to Tyrrax puking on himself in the gutter. Also, re furry: There's some Lux Arcana guy who had a furry mahirim signature. It was the single-most disturbing thing I've ever seen on the DF forums.

Darkfall is still awesome, I am spending 10h+/day working so I don't really spend much time playing. Meh.

I saw him few days ago ingame calling people retards for thinking that heal self is not useful spell. He is aware of failheap too so I suppose that he hasn't either bothered registering or posting.

This.

lubica
April 16 2011, 01:28:24 PM
:lol:

welcome back