PDA

View Full Version : Chrome > All

Pattern
July 31 2011, 10:18:59 PM
Google's Chrome is Britain's second most popular browser, a sign of the internet giant's increasing grip on the UK search market.

Three years after launch, Chrome last month captured 22% of UK users and marginally overtook Mozilla's Firefox browser, according to the web metrics firm Statcounter. Microsoft's Internet Explorer is losing market share to Chrome but remains the most popular browser for UK users with 45% although it has a head start by being pre-installed on almost all computers sold in Britain. Apple's Safari is UK number four, with a 9% share.

Google's rise in the browser market is in part down to nationwide advertising Chrome is the first Google product advertised on British TV but is largely attributed to its speed.

Lars Bak, the Google engineer responsible for Chrome, said the goal had never been to attract a huge user base, but to energise a dormant browser market: "Speed is a fundamental part of it, but it's also about the minimal design and the way it handles security. If you as a user try [to load] a webpage and it feels snappy, it's really hard to go back [to another browser]. It has shown that people spend more time interacting with the web."

Chrome is the number three worldwide, with a 20.65% market share according to Statcounter. But analysts expect it to edge ahead of Firefox, which has dipped steadily since January. Microsoft's Internet Explorer has also fallen heavily, to 43%, with warnings about security vulnerabilities.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/jul/31/google-chrome-popular-web-browser

Aea
July 31 2011, 10:22:15 PM
I like how they credit one guy for the entire browser, when his primary (and very important) role was V8.

Anyway, I like Chrome. Still find Firefox more friendly for web development when I do need to do it, which is very rare these days.

arian snow
August 1 2011, 02:07:40 PM
I use Chromium (linux), great browser totally stable and fast.

edit: I use Chrome for my Windows box as well.

balistic void
August 1 2011, 02:10:11 PM
Not too many chrome users around here, judging by the desktop screenshot thread.

Dark Flare
August 1 2011, 03:24:22 PM
It's not > all if it's the second most popular browser is it you failure

Frools
August 1 2011, 04:09:45 PM
It's not > all if it's the second most popular browser is it you failure
IE doesnt count as a real browser!

Rudolf Miller
August 2 2011, 02:26:57 AM
fun fact, IE users average a 10% lower IQ to all other browser users.

Drakma
August 2 2011, 04:01:40 AM
I actually just switched to Chrome from FF. I'm liking Chrome a lot more than FF right now. Just seems "lighter" to me and it doesn't appear to be the memory hog that FF is.

EntroX
August 3 2011, 11:42:44 AM
i've got 99 problems but memory ain't one~

i like firefox better for some reason, its a bit better rounded up (bada dum tish)

Pattern
August 3 2011, 12:53:35 PM
http://bbc.in/nXhpTj

Rudolf Miller
August 3 2011, 01:42:04 PM
http://bbc.in/nXhpTj

touche. i read it off techspot, but i can see that a well set up ruse caught the media again.

Itiken
August 5 2011, 03:01:57 PM
Fun Fact: FrireFox/Chrome/Opera browser users are 95% more likely to fall for unsubstantiated statistics

balistic void
August 5 2011, 03:15:45 PM
Even cpl fisher / lulsulpher/ lagman / xenosisreaper don't use IE (see desktop screenshot thread). The 10% figure was clearly way too low.

Forever Calzone
August 5 2011, 07:01:27 PM
lulsulpher isn't necessarily dumb, just crazy.

Frug
August 5 2011, 11:27:53 PM
I like how they credit one guy for the entire browser, when his primary (and very important) role was V8.

Anyway, I like Chrome. Still find Firefox more friendly for web development when I do need to do it, which is very rare these days.
This.

1of9
August 6 2011, 07:48:20 AM
I tottaly dislike chrome interface .. hate it with a passion.

Sadly, firefox seems to be walking in the same direction, i may end up switching to some other browser if ff keeps it up, maybe safari...

balistic void
August 6 2011, 08:59:40 AM
Some other people told me they hate the chrome interface as well. wtf... it doesn't have an interface, it just has an address bar? What are you complaining about? The other stuff is hidden by default but you can unhide.

arian snow
August 6 2011, 08:21:32 PM
Some other people told me they hate the chrome interface as well. wtf... it doesn't have an interface, it just has an address bar? What are you complaining about? The other stuff is hidden by default but you can unhide.

And with 16:9 screens, especially the smaller ones horizontal bloat has to go imo.

mitthrawn
August 6 2011, 11:06:37 PM
I totally like chrome interface .. love it with a passion.

Fortunately, firefox seems to be walking in the same direction, i may have nothing more to say since Chrome is totally awesome!
Fixed for ya bro!

Cool09
August 8 2011, 06:07:37 PM
I'm with desktop nazi BV here... bad Chrome interface? WHAT interface? Its an address bar...

brb enjoying full webpages with minimalist browser and 1200 height monitor. Also enjoying plenty of free ram and near instant page loads.

Solaris
August 11 2011, 05:09:10 PM
The biggest issue I have with Chrome is that I just find it to be overly redundant when there are better options out there. It is like Safari or IE. By Google.

balistic void
August 11 2011, 05:33:12 PM
wat

Frools
August 11 2011, 08:15:54 PM
The biggest issue I have with Chrome is that I just find it to be overly redundant when there are better options out there. It is like Safari or IE. By Google.
hahaha, you are a fucking tard :D

Solaris
August 11 2011, 10:02:41 PM
hahaha, you are a fucking troll :D

fixed, and at your service

orcane
August 11 2011, 10:27:03 PM
browsers are srsbsns... :psyduck:

Pattern
August 11 2011, 10:42:40 PM
herp derped at your service
:lol:

XenosisReaper
August 13 2011, 06:42:22 PM
Even cpl fisher / lulsulpher/ lagman / xenosisreaper don't use IE (see desktop screenshot thread). The 10% figure was clearly way too low.

u jelly

1of9
August 13 2011, 08:44:26 PM
Fixed for ya bro!

dude just dont go down that road.

chrome suckx donkey balls... and dont "bro" me ... im not your bro

Miyahon
August 16 2011, 11:28:11 AM
Used to use Opera with mouse gestures but over time had a few issues with it. Can also use mouse gestures with Chrome, lovely browser. Can't fault it so far.

Varicose Brains
August 16 2011, 01:51:26 PM
I tried Chrome for a while but ended up going back to Firefox.

Lana Torrin
August 17 2011, 06:10:37 AM
Do not install chrome to test it, and then try and go back to IE. Every person that has done that on our network (fuck giving them admin rights I said, but no, they all have local admin) gets fucked to all hell.. Chrome seems to completely take over IEs settings and when its removed not give them back, so IE will work until you need to change something and then its fucked..

I _THINK_ the correct way to get it to completely fuck you over is to have say IE6 or 7 installed, install Chrome, then upgrade to IE8 then remove Chrome.. (The upgrade to IE8 is forced even if you don't use IE thank you microsoft update)

And no I cant just tell 200 users to not install the IE8 update (well I can but 2 of them will listen to me, and then complain that they want IE8)..

balistic void
August 17 2011, 09:44:07 AM
If you are admin and installing chrome on a PC remember to use the "Google Pack" installer: http://pack.google.com/intl/en-gb/pack_installer.html Then it will install for all users. Otherwise only installs for current account -.-