PDA

View Full Version : Dune 2 - the mother, father, grandparent and that 873 years old chinese guy of RTS

mrki
July 29 2011, 04:57:52 PM
Apparently there is a fully functioning remake of Dune 2 which just got multiplayer capability. It can be downloaded from this finely crafted webpage (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dunelegacy/index.php?title=Downloads).

You will also need some files from the original game. PM me your e-mail and you will recieve detailed instructions where you can legitimately buy it.

Eard
July 29 2011, 04:58:43 PM
When you say remake, what do you mean?

edit: hmm, appears close to original. will have to play this. Or just install Emperor again

Diicc Tater
July 29 2011, 07:58:02 PM
played it some months ago on my WinUAE. you will be stumped by it's simplicity. Still nice tho.

mrki
July 29 2011, 08:41:31 PM
So yeah, let me elaborate a bit more now that I've played it for the last several hours. It is basically the old Dune 2 which works under new Windows with reasonable resolutions, with a somewhat better UI. Otherwise the game is completely the same as I remember it to be from 18-20 years age (fuck me that was a long time ago, I just checked and the game came out in 1993 for Amiga [damn, I'm old]). The UI changes that I've noticed is that now you can queue what you want to build, and you can hotkey buildings.

And the campaign is so damn short! I remember it to be long and difficult and me spending hours upon hours. Damn I must have sucked at this when I was young.

Omega Supreme
July 29 2011, 09:04:25 PM
So yeah, let me elaborate a bit more now that I've played it for the last several hours. It is basically the old Dune 2 which works under new Windows with reasonable resolutions, with a somewhat better UI. Otherwise the game is completely the same as I remember it to be from 18-20 years age (fuck me that was a long time ago, I just checked and the game came out in 1993 for Amiga [damn, I'm old]). The UI changes that I've noticed is that now you can queue what you want to build, and you can hotkey buildings.

And the campaign is so damn short! I remember it to be long and difficult and me spending hours upon hours. Damn I must have sucked at this when I was young.

Had a similiar experience a while back with C&C1. I remembered some missions being a bitch, then replayed them years later and it was easy mode. :(

Voulture
July 29 2011, 09:06:42 PM
Screens?

Batolemaeus
July 29 2011, 09:06:43 PM
They remade childhood.
I'm infinitely grateful.

Voul. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/29/mentatal-dune-2-fan-remake-gets-multiplayer/

Gesadt
July 29 2011, 09:22:20 PM
ah dune 2, brings back some memories! although im p sure herzog zwei is considered to be father of all rts'es no?

Batolemaeus
July 29 2011, 11:02:20 PM
No.

Overspark
July 30 2011, 12:58:51 AM
The UI changes that I've noticed is that now you can queue what you want to build, and you can hotkey buildings.
You might have missed the fact that you can now actually select more than one unit at the same time, which wasn't in the original. :D Although, looking back, that UI mechanic was so mind-bogglingly bad that it's understandable that you've managed to suppress those memories. Oh, and stuff like right-click to move or attack is also new.

Thanks for the link though, having tons of fun with it!

Reed Tiburon
July 30 2011, 02:39:29 AM
brilliantine :)

Fitzy
July 30 2011, 04:53:48 AM
A big screen with large enough res would probably have the entire map on the screen at once. Ahh good times. Anyone played Dune 1? I found it actually pretty interesting.

Dahak
July 30 2011, 06:02:12 AM
Oh Westwood, you died too soon.

High Sierra
July 30 2011, 06:20:39 AM
dear lord above.....

goodbye life.

depili
July 30 2011, 06:54:11 AM
A big screen with large enough res would probably have the entire map on the screen at once. Ahh good times. Anyone played Dune 1? I found it actually pretty interesting.

Yeah, dune 1 was also a good game

mrki
July 30 2011, 08:27:51 AM
You might have missed the fact that you can now actually select more than one unit at the same time, which wasn't in the original. :D Although, looking back, that UI mechanic was so mind-bogglingly bad that it's understandable that you've managed to suppress those memories. Oh, and stuff like right-click to move or attack is also new.

Thanks for the link though, having tons of fun with it!

Oh snap, you're right. I was actually using both of those, it just never occurred to me that it's new. :) Also, double-click a unit to select all of the same type on the screen. And some people complain about EVE's UI. Good times Westwood, you are missed (also Bullfrog and Psygnosis but I can't spend the whole day watching videos of old games on youtube so I'll just stop here).

arian snow
July 30 2011, 09:48:28 AM

O' dear yes. Lands of Lore and Dune2 -> best childhood memories.

Belid Hagen
July 30 2011, 10:01:09 AM
Would someone be so kind as to provide us with a set of instructions for how to make this work?

I have the original game, but when i try to run the 0.96.2 setup file, it just throws up error after error of missing files.

V
July 30 2011, 10:44:41 AM

I love the C&C series but you have to admit that Westwood is kinda a one hit wonder studio. Only Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert 1 were good games and everything that followed was as innovative as sliced bread or just bad. Just look at that awful isolinear/voxel graphic engine they used in Tiberian Sun which also had worse game flow than Dune 2.

Although Dune Emporer was way ahead of it's time extremely underrated (like Earth 2150) it wasn't a commercial success and lacked fine tuning. So i won't include that one (Actually i would but the masses won't kekeke.)

Overspark
July 30 2011, 11:12:27 AM
Would someone be so kind as to provide us with a set of instructions for how to make this work?

I have the original game, but when i try to run the 0.96.2 setup file, it just throws up error after error of missing files.
Basically:
1) Run setup
2) Choose directory where you want to install to. On Vista/7 the default C:\Program Files (x86)\ doesn't work because the installer doesn't ask for administrator rights, so choose another directory (C:\Users\Public\Games works) or mess with UAC settings or run the installer as administrator I guess.
3) Choose the directory where the Dune 2 files will come from. It's not enough to choose the Dune 2 directory, you have to go into the VIRGIN\DUNE2 directory that's inside it.
4) Wrap it up and go play the game.

If you're still having trouble with the Dune 2 files, check out http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dunelegacy/index.php?title=Pakfilelist to check those files.

Belid Hagen
July 30 2011, 12:47:52 PM
thanks overspark, that solved the installation issue.

next issue: When i execute the game, my computer just black-screens with no way to get out other than a hard reboot.

*edit* solved by running the game in compatibility mode (winxp)

Pacefalm
July 30 2011, 10:13:45 PM
I love the C&C series but you have to admit that Westwood is kinda a one hit wonder studio. Only Tiberium Dawn and Red Alert 1 were good games and everything that followed was as innovative as sliced bread or just bad. Just look at that awful isolinear/voxel graphic engine they used in Tiberian Sun which also had worse game flow than Dune 2.

Although Dune Emporer was way ahead of it's time extremely underrated (like Earth 2150) it wasn't a commercial success and lacked fine tuning. So i won't include that one (Actually i would but the masses won't kekeke.)
Nox was pretty cool too...

Also, grew up with CnC 1 crew representing. Will download this thingy here to see what all the fuss is all about.

Reed Tiburon
July 30 2011, 10:23:22 PM
I may be alone in loving Tiberian Sun graphics engine. It looks practically cel shaded, awesome :companioncube:

Can't wait to start playing this. I played Dune 2000 but never played Dune 2. Ordos in this bitch B)

Space Panda
July 30 2011, 11:18:57 PM
while this game is sort of cool, it really has nothing to do with dune. some fuck needs to make a dune RPG. even a mod using the dragon age engine would fucking be amazing.

Pacefalm
July 31 2011, 02:23:57 AM
Finished campaign

It looks like it could have been groundbreaking back in the day~
The unit AI did bother me a bit sometimes though
Anywho good waste of a few hours. Will play the other campaigns maybe

helgur
July 31 2011, 11:58:51 PM

As a 13 year old and : madfan : of Dune 2 I just had to get Dune 1 for my Amiga aswell

So I did

Actually, the game (Dune 2) also made me get Dune on VHS and rent Frank Herberts book from my library. I was a very dedicated fan:P

RoemySchneider
August 1 2011, 04:26:51 AM
ahhh the 90s...
westwood, team17, bullfrog, possibly maxis, blizzard north(!), and let me throw in sierra for the lulz

games were innovative back then before 3D steamrolled the fun out of them.

also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_%26_Beyond already had walking-in-stations

RazoR
August 1 2011, 05:21:32 AM
Oh Westwood, you died too soon.It was raped and strangled to death.

By the same faggots that feed us with ass effect and dragon sage.

Stoffl
August 1 2011, 06:21:58 AM
Oshit son, first the Dungeon Keeper remake and now this ?!?

:companioncube:

Oh and is it me or was the Sega Megadrive version prettier than the original PC release ?

Stoffl
August 1 2011, 06:26:13 AM
nvm, it just had slightly different building design.
My childhood memories made it look isometric. :lol:

http://sega.ucoz.com/_ld/0/03411.jpg

theBlind
August 1 2011, 09:18:06 AM
Yeah, dune 1 IS also a good game

fyp. Dune 1 still works under Win7 when I fired it up last time I got the urge.
It's strangly good and I love the desert sunsets.
It's also one of the games that I remembered to be much more difficult than what I found them to be like when replaying after years. I must have sucked at this whole gaming thing earlier in my life. Or at least sucked more

lubica
August 1 2011, 09:32:04 AM
I must have sucked at this whole gaming thing earlier in my life. Or at least sucked more

C.

I remember the first time i played Civ 1 as a 6-7 year old kid. I had 50 militia and 2 cities by 1800 AD, when I got invaded by France with Riflemen. Good times.

Pacefalm
August 1 2011, 02:25:09 PM
Oshit son, first the Dungeon Keeper remake
would you like to know more.jpg

[X] Y / [ ] N

Batolemaeus
August 2 2011, 07:25:50 AM
I may be alone in loving Tiberian Sun graphics engine. It looks practically cel shaded, awesome :companioncube:

Can't wait to start playing this. I played Dune 2000 but never played Dune 2. Ordos in this bitch B)
You aren't. I love tiberian sun. The atmosphere is still incredible and the game was definitely better than anything that came after it. Especially miles better than C&C3..

Stoffl
August 2 2011, 12:23:28 PM
would you like to know more.jpg

[X] Y / [ ] N

http://keeper.lubie.org/html/dk_keeperfx_dwnld.php

Raimo
August 2 2011, 04:30:12 PM
while this game is sort of cool, it really has nothing to do with dune. some fuck needs to make a dune RPG. even a mod using the dragon age engine would fucking be amazing.

Dune 1, kind of

Voulture
August 7 2011, 08:25:26 AM
nvm, it just had slightly different building design.
My childhood memories made it look isometric. :lol:

http://sega.ucoz.com/_ld/0/03411.jpg

I think you have mixed remarks from dune2 and dune2000 as i have as well :)

Raine Woot
August 7 2011, 08:50:08 AM
Fucking Dune 2000 is the one I got hooked on, shortly after the first Age of Empires. Was a fantastic game, won't ever forget those damn worms eating my spice harvesters and popping up in the middle of my invasion force. I can't remember if I fiercely preferred Harkonnen or Atreides, but it was one of them. Will have to see if I can get it running again.

Lana Torrin
August 7 2011, 09:12:36 AM
c'mon wing commander.. you can do it....

dzajic
August 7 2011, 09:59:32 AM
There was also Dune 2 for Sega Mega Drive II; it might have had lower unit limits but I think it was isometric and had normal "just click to attack". But it was 16 years ago so I really can't remember.

Stoffl
August 7 2011, 05:50:56 PM
I think you have mixed remarks from dune2 and dune2000 as i have as well :)

Nope, it just had a slightly different look. Compare the wind powerplants from PC version and Sega version.

Pc
http://screenshots.en.softonic.com/en/scrn/51000/51528/dune-ii-15.jpg

Sega
http://www.retrocopy.com/images/gamedb/megadrive/dune-ii-battle-for-arrakis-ss05.jpg

Stoffl
August 7 2011, 05:52:13 PM
*doublepoastfail*

Cool09
August 8 2011, 02:38:32 PM
I came a little late to the party, played a lot of RA1, tiberian sun, then emperor. I loved all three. Everything after that was less than stellar. Emperor was ahead of its time for sure, had the risk style map such as in dawn of war: soulstorm, had great graphics for the time, and I liked the idea of subfactions.

RoemySchneider
August 8 2011, 02:48:24 PM
stupid missile launchers.....

Lana Torrin
August 10 2011, 01:50:29 AM
C&C (the first one) was an awesome game but had a few little balance issues (tanks could easily kill troop by running then down, but you didn't generally have that many tanks so it wasn't a big problem). Red Alert (again, the first one) took those issues and amplified them by not fixing them and introducing more of the units that caused them.. I found it a lot less fun.

My orca fleets in RA were hilarious.

Stoffl
August 10 2011, 09:27:56 AM
Obelisks of light & Tesla coils...:razor: