PDA

View Full Version : How to close a wormhole - a step by step guide

Lorkin Desal
April 11 2011, 10:54:26 AM
1. Aqquire a Mass Heavy BS and an Orca, + a Heavy Interdictor.

2. Lookup the sig of the wormhole you want to close here (http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Wormholes). [Under Wormhole Identification].

3. For arguements sake say that you are closing a H296 static.

4. A H296 wormhole leads to C5 W-Space. It lasts for 24 hoursand has a maximum jumpable mass of 1,350,000,000 kg. In total you can take through 3,000,000,000 kg.

5. Calculate the mass of your Orca. An Orca has a mass of 250,000,000 kg. If you fit an AB or MWD and have it active as you enter the wormhole, the Mass will be taken as 300,000,000 kg.

6. Divide 3,000,000,000 kg by 300,000,000 kg. You will be able to fit your Orca through 9 times [1 jump through, 1 back [Annoying 4 min timer, fit cloak] etc. for a total of 2,700,000,000 kg.

However: Wormholes are NEVER EXACTLY THE STATED MASS - They could be 10% under or over.

So you might have 300,000,000 KG less to play with and your orca may well get stuck.

7. A Devoter fit as below has a mass of 35,200,000 kg. HOWEVER: If you turn on all 4 Warp Disruption Field Generators, they stack to make the mass 80% less per Generator. This makes the mass of the Devoter about 250,000 kg.

[Devoter, WH closer]
1600mm Reinforced Steel Plates I
Reactor Control Unit II
Reactor Control Unit II
Reactor Control Unit II

100mn Afterburner II
[empty med slot]
[empty med slot]

Warp Disruption Field Generator I
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

8. Jump the hictor through and back as requires 9may take a few times)/use a plated battleship.

When the hole is critical and jumping through ensure all 4 Warp Disruption Field Generators are online and active to reduce the mass. (not on the way back)

9. Deactivate generators and jump back home. The wormhole will close behind you.

10. Scan down your new static.

11. ???

12. Profit.

Zigg Omelo
April 11 2011, 10:58:21 AM
How about a better way, but a 100mn ab on that devoter to get it even heavier. activate bubbles on the way out and then activate the ab on the way home. it will be way heavier than a 10mn thingie

Wrack
April 11 2011, 08:42:32 PM
Um, is this post a troll, or are you really that bad?

A wormhole's total mass varies by +/- 10% from tabulated values. So a 3 bil hole can be as low as 2700 mil or as high as 3300 mil total. This uncertainty is going to get your orca stuck.

Furthermore, in step #6 you seem to be confusing the per-jump limit and the total mass limit. If you pass your Orca 4 times for a total of 1.2 bil, you're not even going to hit half mass on a 3 bil hole. Not making the leap to putting an oversized prop mod on a cruiser—also very pro. As for something involving a 4-plate 4-bubble HIC making 4 jumps (brought to you by big bird and the number 4?) ... wat is this I don't even.

Closing a 3 bil hole like that with only orcas will take a minimum of 9 jumps, which is a slow way to get a lot of orcas ganked. I suggest you pass a carrier, then pass 4 BS (5 if using a Nid) each way (with active prop mods), then bring your carrier back, closing the hole quickly and easily. You can even have your BSes web the carrier back into warp before a hostile loki decloaks and points it.

If you really want to close a 3 bil hole without caps (or are dealing with H900, etc), it can be done safely with orcas, BSes, and some 100mn-fit cruisers, but the method is not what's posted here.

Lorkin Desal
April 11 2011, 09:09:26 PM
Yeah my bad, I was totally looking at the wrong info there.

The above post is assuming you wont have access to a carrier. Yes a H296 is usually from C5 to C5, however not always connected to low/near to where you have a capital.

Durzel
April 13 2011, 06:22:20 PM
If you haven't got access to a carrier/dread you've got no business living in any wormhole with capital-capable jump mass wormholes (C5 upwards)

Sorry if that sounds blunt, but C5 sites are a grind without capitals, and capitals are what make them seriously profitable (escalations).

On top of that you can be sure that people who link to you from other C6/C5s will have capitals, and some of them might not think anything of jumping one (or more over a period of time) for various hijinx.

Helen
April 13 2011, 06:33:01 PM
This is a good informative thread.

cmd
April 14 2011, 04:52:42 PM
Orcas are slow. Use a dread and 3 BS with burners.

Wabs
April 15 2011, 10:10:32 AM
jeez you all fail.

closing a 3bil hole easy without math:
new hole: Obby + fenrir, jump the obby back last and its gone, no chance of getting stuck.
hole with unknown mass been thru it: use BS to jump ther and back till the wormhole goes mid mass, when mid mass jump obby out and back = hole gone
hole with unknown mass under mid, not crit: jump orca in, cloak up, use BS to crit the hole. Uncloak orca, prop mod, jump, hole gone.
crit hole: HIC with a lot of bubbels and a 100mn AB

Redclaws
April 15 2011, 01:03:12 PM
jeez you all fail.

new hole: Obby + fenrir, jump the obby back last and its gone, no chance of getting stuck.
hole with unknown mass been thru it: use BS to jump ther and back till the wormhole goes mid mass, when mid mass jump obby out and back = hole gone
hole with unknown mass under mid, not crit: jump orca in, cloak up, use BS to crit the hole. Uncloak orca, prop mod, jump, hole gone.

Good post, some questions though:

You can always jump a ship through a critical WH? Even if only 1kg is left you can fit a freighter through it if it is below the maximum mass in 1 go for that WH?

How do you prevent a HIC being on the wrong side when it closes on a critical hole? You don't know if it only has 1kg left or 100.000kg, right? I guess activating all the bubbles when jumping out of your home system cuts the risk a bit but doesn't completely eliminate it.

On a WH with an unknown mass left and under middle: How do you know it won't close when you jump the orca through? Or does a WH always go to a critical state before closing?

Thanks

Wrack
April 15 2011, 02:53:42 PM
jeez you all fail.

1. You can always jump a ship through a critical WH? Even if only 1kg is left you can fit a freighter through it if it is below the maximum mass in 1 go for that WH?

2. How do you prevent a HIC being on the wrong side when it closes on a critical hole? You don't know if it only has 1kg left or 100.000kg, right? I guess activating all the bubbles when jumping out of your home system cuts the risk a bit but doesn't completely eliminate it.

3. On a WH with an unknown mass left and under middle: How do you know it won't close when you jump the orca through? Or does a WH always go to a critical state before closing?

1. Yes, you can always jump a ship as long as the hole's not gone (and the hole accomodates that ship in general).

2. You don't know that the hole's not going to collapse if it may be under 100k mass left. Fit probes and a cloak to the HIC, if you care about getting it back. If the HIC weighs 60M kg with the AB active and 100k kg with all the bubbles active, then you'd expect less than a 1% chance of it getting stuck each time you use it.

3. A wormhole can close without ever being critical, if you jump something huge through when it's already close to critical. However, if the WH is a 3B kg hole, it will have at least 270M kg left when it goes critical, so it can't make it skip critical with a 250M kg orca.

Wabs
April 18 2011, 12:39:13 PM
jeez you all fail.

1. You can always jump a ship through a critical WH? Even if only 1kg is left you can fit a freighter through it if it is below the maximum mass in 1 go for that WH?

2. How do you prevent a HIC being on the wrong side when it closes on a critical hole? You don't know if it only has 1kg left or 100.000kg, right? I guess activating all the bubbles when jumping out of your home system cuts the risk a bit but doesn't completely eliminate it.

3. On a WH with an unknown mass left and under middle: How do you know it won't close when you jump the orca through? Or does a WH always go to a critical state before closing?

1. Yes, you can always jump a ship as long as the hole's not gone (and the hole accomodates that ship in general).

2. You don't know that the hole's not going to collapse if it may be under 100k mass left. Fit probes and a cloak to the HIC, if you care about getting it back. If the HIC weighs 60M kg with the AB active and 100k kg with all the bubbles active, then you'd expect less than a 1% chance of it getting stuck each time you use it.

3. A wormhole can close without ever being critical, if you jump something huge through when it's already close to critical. However, if the WH is a 3B kg hole, it will have at least 270M kg left when it goes critical, so it can't make it skip critical with a 250M kg orca.

confirming this^^
hic with probe and cloak is safe bet. Chance of you needing it is VERY small tho. But it does happen, i jumped thru a crit hole a few days back with a falcon and collapsed it... (14mil kg i think) was a first for me that i collapsed without a propmod in a cruiersize ship.

If a 3bil kg hole is mid it wont die if you jump an orca in. Not possible. as stated above, minimum mass left when crit is 270m kg, orca is 250. and yes even if there is 1kg left on a hole you can jump any ship thru it if it fits the max mass jumpable thing 1.35bil on the h296 for instance. So yeah you could jump a dread in if only 1kg left.