PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of War II - Retribution - Last Stand

Blutreiter
April 11 2011, 10:39:59 AM
The new map is hard as hell. Also, I am not really warming up to the new Lord General character. If you build him Melee, he feels like a damn squishy. Most of the faggots take the sniperrifle anyway (OMGSNIPERLULZ) and die horribly because they get swarmed due to their 5 second fire rate. If they manage to survive to Wave 16, they (and anyone else) gets instakilled by the clone.

Currently rolling with Flamethrowers and Guardsmen with added Sarge for some red hot bbq, which seems quite effective, but sucks later.

Bloody char is bloody useless. Has anyone else been able to make him work somehow?

Lorkin Desal
April 11 2011, 11:03:55 AM
Have you managed to grab any of the new unlocks?

Blutreiter
April 11 2011, 11:11:18 AM
Well I got the Duelist thing, adds 40% to your melee damage which is crap on the Lord General.

I need 1 more good game to unlock the Black Armor, dunno what bonus that brings.

Eard
April 11 2011, 01:20:11 PM
Sniper General is by far the best build as the sniper rifle and powered shot is ridiculous. At least before the new unlockable wargear a couple days ago, but I doubt melee general is still worth the time. I think they fixed the grenade launcher to actually knockback though, so that would go from worthless to usable.

New map is harder for lower level characters , but once you have wargear unlocked to make a decent build, it's quite a bit easier than the old map. Not having dopplegangers makes life quite a bit easier.

filingo
April 11 2011, 01:22:26 PM
i need to play this again

Desert Fox
April 11 2011, 02:01:58 PM
Levelled a Lord General to 20. Bombing run with stormtroopers is simply amazing. It gives you a fairly instant and devastating area of effect weapon that only costs 37 energy. With the sniper equipped you regain energy really fast too. I just wish the larger turrets weren't completely useless. Tarantula turrets are really useful for crowed control.

Eard
April 11 2011, 02:18:13 PM
The second big turret seemed to be useful on the new map when I've seen it deployed, as it can shoot at basically anything on the map. The large turret that shoots the blue balls is indeed worthless though, I swear it does no damage even on direct hits.

Blutreiter
April 11 2011, 02:45:52 PM
Agree on the Tarantulas, those are lovely and the range is also hilarious.

Lorkin Desal
April 11 2011, 05:40:54 PM
Agree on the Tarantulas, those are lovely and the range is also hilarious.

Indeed, <3 emplaced weapons.

Also your avatar is amazing, I've not watched Finding Nemo in aaages.

Eard
April 11 2011, 07:11:04 PM
Only have one of the new wargears unlocked, would be willing to do runs with people to try to unlock stuff for everyone.

The lightning claws for the FC in particular, because they rape the shit out of everything with the DoT

Belk
April 11 2011, 11:31:00 PM
Retards with the sniper rifle are just retards. It gives more energy regain so you can spam your ogyrn squads with your commisar. "Ogyrn's SMASH!" The commanders work better when you have more than one and can set up turrets that rape everything that meet a solid wall of Ogyrn meat.

That FC thunderhammer is a pile of shite though, so slow, I'd rather leave out all other weapons and use the jump pack to kill enemies rather than use the thunderhammer.

Blutreiter
April 13 2011, 10:22:07 AM
Oh god this is making me rage so much...

...Black Armor unlock for Lord General. Needs 10 times "Hold both Control Points as Lord General until Wave 10"

First 9 was a breeze... that was 2 days ago. Since then, the last time I need to do this crap is failing miserably due to retarded teams and the fact that the enemies seem to be able to fukken decap a point within 1 second, so you cannot blast them away from it.

Grrrr. Grrgrrrgrrrrrr.

Belk
April 13 2011, 03:30:55 PM

...Black Armor unlock for Lord General. Needs 10 times "Hold both Control Points as Lord General until Wave 10"

Damn, I though you just had to do it once to get the black armour. The SM and Ork achivments are simple compared to those.

Blutreiter
April 13 2011, 03:40:31 PM

Damn, I though you just had to do it once to get the black armour. The SM and Ork achivments are simple compared to those.
I just hope this armor is fukken worth it.

Eard
April 13 2011, 05:40:31 PM
Tried the ork knife last night, found it annoying as hell. Hard to even kill anything when you keep warping it away, and it appears whatever warps hardly takes damage for a set period of time. I was under the impression that effect only applied to your reactive warps.

Blutreiter
April 13 2011, 09:29:38 PM
...that bloody armor gives you 50% less damage recieved in melee.

Well, with the other unlockable for 40% more melee damage, this *might* make the LG a halfway useable brawler.

Desert Fox
April 14 2011, 02:24:05 PM

Well, with the other unlockable for 40% more melee damage, this *might* make the LG a halfway useable brawler.

But do you lose turret support with the new armour? If you do then I'd have thought it was a major nerf to one of the LG's main strengths?

Blutreiter
April 14 2011, 03:10:05 PM

But do you lose turret support with the new armour? If you do then I'd have thought it was a major nerf to one of the LG's main strengths?
Spot on.

Best LG loadout in my opinion is:

Flamer, Heavy Bolter Turret armor, Sergeant, Commander, 3rd accessory as deemed necessary, Guardsmen.

This will give you massive AoE damage with your squad and can tear through enemy formations faster than you can run. Weakness is the lack in damage against massive targets. This can be offset a little bit if you take the Missile Turret instead.

Once you can use Ogryns, you can do almost the same setup, but with a Sniper Rifle and the Damage Medal in the last slot. Ogryns are almost unkillable with a Squadleader and a Commander boosting their damage... but they will roam the map freely and might leave you alone in a tight spot, so you should actually move with them.

Eard
April 20 2011, 09:04:05 PM
Bump for this now being available separately from lackluster Retri xpac. $10, no idea if Euroland gets screwed again on the price

Mavolio
April 20 2011, 09:06:33 PM
Its 6.49 in the UK which is $10.65

mira o'karr
April 20 2011, 09:58:38 PM
bought this the other day looking forward to the different factions in SP ... little did i know they all seem to be the exact same missions.

need to check out the mp next.

Cool09
April 21 2011, 05:47:14 AM
Wish they went with the Dark Crusade style campaign again :/

Fallout
April 21 2011, 12:33:09 PM
Dawn of War 1 campaign was the most interesting out of them all tbh

bought this the other day looking forward to the different factions in SP ... little did i know they all seem to be the exact same missions.

need to check out the mp next.

Yeah its kind of a let down when you realize they have managed to create a campaign where Chaos have the exact same objectives in missions as Space Marines do

TimMc
April 21 2011, 01:31:25 PM
I've only done the first 3 missions of this game before I got bored and went to play Dragon age origins for the 10th time.

Seriously disappointed after how awesome Chaos Rising was.

Iloni Atoriandra
April 21 2011, 02:15:05 PM
Felt really cheated all the campaigns were the same but luckily I used my brothers copy so didnt pay for it.