PDA

View Full Version : USB 3.0 woes.

Dahak
July 20 2011, 07:17:11 AM
So I just unpacked my shiny new 3 TB external HD, which has the added benefit of being USB 3.0 capable. My old 1 TB was not and it was really starting to bother me.

Unfortunately as I'm trying to transfer files I find that the 3.0 drive is getting around 5 MB/s with short bursts of 100+ and sometimes even dragging as low as 256 KB/s, but averaging out to well below 2.0 speeds. I am copying a number of files but they're not small files, 1080p episodes of Archer, for example. The time estimate on TeraCopy is telling me one second that it will take 4 days to copy 100 gigs, then a second later only 30 minutes.

The drive is plugged into a 3.0 port, the USB Host Controller driver is up to date. I'm using the latest version of TeraCopy on Windows 7 64 bit, tried the standard Windows transfer utility but that was even worse. The drive that the files are being transferred from is my internal 7,200 RPM drive, so I doubt that is the bottleneck.

I'm frankly at a loss for what to do, all I can find on Google is "Are you sure it's a 3.0 port?" which I am. This drive has lots more storage than my old one but is just agonizingly slow and it's driving me up the wall.

Dante
July 20 2011, 07:49:53 AM
Speed of the external hard drive? I was under the impression that USB 3.0 is essentially pointless on 7200rpm drives or lower, especially for sustained transfer.

As for when the speed really drops, is the drive you're transferring from particularly fragmented? Either drive possibly overheating?

Also: http://xkcd.com/612/

Dahak
July 20 2011, 08:21:35 AM
Source drive was reformatted about a week and a half ago, Windows says 3% fragmented.

I'm not entirely sure, but am fairly confident that the external is 7,200.

For giggles I tried to transfer a rar file sized at 12 gigs. 3.0 drive went at ~200 KB/s for 15 minutes before I cancelled the transfer. 2.0 drive did the whole thing in 2 minutes. When I tried plugging the 3.0 drive into a 2.0 port Windows doesn't even recognize it. 3.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible...

:emo:

Ashigari
July 20 2011, 08:30:35 AM
maybe the external drive is faulty?

Dante
July 20 2011, 12:25:10 PM
Just to be clear you're always transferring from internal to external hard drives? External to external on the same host controller might produce the effect you see if it swamps the bandwidth.

Otherwise it sounds likes there's crappy firmware/drivers somewhere - especially if not working on 2.0 port. What brand is it?

Frools
July 20 2011, 12:37:51 PM
Speed of the external hard drive? I was under the impression that USB 3.0 is essentially pointless on 7200rpm drives or lower, especially for sustained transfer.

bullshit, on usb2 you get sustained transfer rates of about 20MB/s
any reasonably modern 7200rpm disk can easily beat that

Solon
July 20 2011, 01:07:31 PM
What mainboard are you using? Depending on the board, it might be that there are different host controllers working for the 2.0 and 3.0 ports, and they are not always connected the same way. It might be that either the 3.0 host controller is just crap, or that the connection from the host controller to the southbridge is just slow. I have seen crazy arrangements where USB host controllers were connected to the Soutbridge via PCI, which completely negates every advantage you have from 3.0.

Personally, I am staying away from USB 3.0 for now, since a malfunctioning controller put too much voltage on the conenctor and fried the USB controller of my external hard drive

Rudolf Miller
July 20 2011, 01:20:14 PM
My vote is source drive is faulty. Set it up to run for the duration on teracopy and then ditch the old drive before you lose it all.

Dante
July 20 2011, 01:27:53 PM
Heh ok I'm an idiot, I thought 60MB/s and then conflated that in my head with stuff I read about SATA 2/3, disregard :/

Dahak
July 20 2011, 02:18:28 PM
Morning update: boot up computer, hear the old external spin up but not the new one. New drive now isn't recognized in any USB port and as far as I can tell isn't running at all. LED on the front just stares balefully at me and periodically blinks, but not in any pattern that suggest any kind of activity. I'm leaning towards a defective drive now.

Just to be clear you're always transferring from internal to external hard drives? External to external on the same host controller might produce the effect you see if it swamps the bandwidth.

Otherwise it sounds likes there's crappy firmware/drivers somewhere - especially if not working on 2.0 port. What brand is it?

At first I was trying external to external, but that went really slow so I copied old external to internal, then internal to new external. Alas, that did not improve things. It's a Western Digital My Book Essential.

What mainboard are you using? Depending on the board, it might be that there are different host controllers working for the 2.0 and 3.0 ports, and they are not always connected the same way. It might be that either the 3.0 host controller is just crap, or that the connection from the host controller to the southbridge is just slow. I have seen crazy arrangements where USB host controllers were connected to the Soutbridge via PCI, which completely negates every advantage you have from 3.0.

This one. (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7327363&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE)

Rudolf Miller
July 20 2011, 02:42:16 PM
Morning update: boot up computer, hear the old external spin up but not the new one. New drive now isn't recognized in any USB port and as far as I can tell isn't running at all. LED on the front just stares balefully at me and periodically blinks, but not in any pattern that suggest any kind of activity. I'm leaning towards a defective drive now.

called it.. sorry m8.

If it's a western digital, I can tell you I feel your pain. It happened to me too.

Dahak
July 20 2011, 02:47:30 PM
called it.. sorry m8.

If it's a western digital, I can tell you I feel your pain. It happened to me too.

Eh, my old one is an older version of the My Book which has hummed along without an issue for two years. I may have just gotten unlucky. After all, they all get them from the same Chinese sweatshops anyway.

Dante
July 20 2011, 03:00:03 PM
Yeah, sounds like it's dead Jim. Maybe a dodgy power issue though? Perhaps try old power supply on the new drive if they're the same. I'm assuming it's not USB powered.

Sparq
July 22 2011, 01:08:55 PM
I have (had) a 1TB WD essential (not the "book", one of the black desktop "bricks") suffering similar issues a few months ago. I didn't have any proof of purchase for it (it was a gift) so I cracked it open and ripped off the interface board and shoved it into a sata port, lo and behold the drive itself is perfectly fine. So if you're feeling brave (or can't return it) consider busting the drive out of the enclosure.

Dahak
July 22 2011, 10:56:43 PM
I have (had) a 1TB WD essential (not the "book", one of the black desktop "bricks") suffering similar issues a few months ago. I didn't have any proof of purchase for it (it was a gift) so I cracked it open and ripped off the interface board and shoved it into a sata port, lo and behold the drive itself is perfectly fine. So if you're feeling brave (or can't return it) consider busting the drive out of the enclosure.

I'm not quite that brave. My hands shake a fair amount, not enough to interfere with daily life, but soldering is beyond me. I did the lazy way and got the RMA. New drive arrived today and I'm getting speeds of 90-120 MB/s when the file gets rolling. Switching between small ones slows it down considerably, but this is to be expected. Looks like I just got unlucky with a dud.

Al Simmons
July 26 2011, 12:43:06 AM
On a related note, I bought a 500 gig Seagate external HDD off a website without really paying attention to the specs or whatever, I think I was just like "oh, this is a respectable site and it's a Seagate drive, they're a good brand."

Anyway it only came with a USB 2.0 connector, and there actually is another hole for another connector, but there are no metal parts for it to connect to inside. I mean i'd not really used external hard drives before, I guess I just assumed they all sort of worked.

But yeah, copying 300 gigs off my old HD onto that and then onto my new HD via USB 2.0 was pretty fucking painful. (I was switching OSes and I figured that would be the easiest way to move the data)

Rudolf Miller
July 26 2011, 05:58:09 PM
On a related note, I bought a 500 gig Seagate external HDD off a website without really paying attention to the specs or whatever, I think I was just like "oh, this is a respectable site and it's a Seagate drive, they're a good brand."

Anyway it only came with a USB 2.0 connector, and there actually is another hole for another connector, but there are no metal parts for it to connect to inside. I mean i'd not really used external hard drives before, I guess I just assumed they all sort of worked.

But yeah, copying 300 gigs off my old HD onto that and then onto my new HD via USB 2.0 was pretty fucking painful. (I was switching OSes and I figured that would be the easiest way to move the data)

manufacturers tend to make a universal part that will work with different models and features. its more than likely that same casing could be used for a USB 3.0 model too, but you didn't get that one.

also, confirming usb 2.0 is fucking painful for big data.

Dahak
July 27 2011, 05:20:53 AM

Is it a Kingston lock port? It would be silly for that to be just plastic, but it wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've heard of.

My Seagate 500 gig has swappable modules, came stock with 2.0 but 3.0 or eSATA can be purchased afterwards, but I don't feel the need for this particular drive.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8782/20110727241526.jpg