PDA

View Full Version : ReadyNAS - Any Experience? (network file/media server)

vulture virtue
July 16 2011, 04:36:29 AM
I happened to be in the market for a new router today and ended buying a netgear router. In the box was an ad for this network file/media server called ReadyNAS. Anyone have any experience/thoughts about this product. I would use it, or something similar to store all my media files, backup my windows 7 desktop and laptop, and possibly use it to serve photos to my family. I also need to look at my isp rules to see if about using it as a ftp server too, but that's a less critical function.

I would consider myself fairly decent at computers, but I'm no server admin.

Lowa [NSN]
July 16 2011, 11:10:59 AM
I too am looking for this shit, someone drop the link to that page that has all these tests and allows you to compare the products etc...
I cant for the life of me ever remember what its called and bookmarks are for girls!

Waagaa
July 16 2011, 07:59:42 PM
Generally speaking, the cheaper NAS have seriously underpowered CPUs. This means they won't be able to get upto the full speed of your disks if you run them in RAID.
It also means that any servers you can run on them theoretically will slow them down.
Most tech-savvy folks should just buy an Atom-based QNAP/Synology or build an Atom/i3 based NAS themselves. :)

Sallah Hernandes
July 17 2011, 02:28:48 PM
bought a readynas duo - because I don't know what I'm doing.

Uses a propietary ext4 format variant for the RAID so that you cannot mount the drives in anything other than a readynas duo. there is some method of making it mount in linux, but it takes about half a day of jiggery and pokery, would not buy again.

cillisia
July 17 2011, 03:27:50 PM
we just got a QNAP nas at work and it seems to be pretty good so far, has a nice web interface as well which makes it a little bit like dropbox

about 140 atm as well, and you could get a couple of 2tb hdd's from ebuyer for about 100 more

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/qnap-ts-210-turbo-one-139-98-amazon-now-ebuyer/960347