PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a backup server

Navigator Six
July 15 2011, 07:30:59 AM
I'm looking at setting up some sort of combo automated backup and media storing server, and am trying to figure out the best way of setting up data redundancy without using too many drives. There will be some important stuff (dissertation crap) that really can't get lost, and will probably be auto-backed-up daily; I figured that the original local copy plus some RAID 1 on the server would cover that. The media stuff I'm less sure about: if we're only going to store it on the server, then I imagine it should be backed up too, but maybe complete mirroring is overkill and there should just be periodic backups to a separate disk?

Any thoughts on this? Is it redundant enough? For reference, we'll probably be running an HP MicroServer (still a hundred quid off!) which has four bays in it, and could take some external drives too.

EntroX
July 15 2011, 03:12:34 PM
there's plenty of cheapo solutions for stuff like this, i'd suggest running a raid-5 if you are going to have 4 bays, does it have pci-X slots?, because if it does you could strap on some eSATA enclosures to it to extend the space and keep redundancy.

i run an external 4-bay enclosure with a 6tb RAID-5, i can slap another enclosure to the same card (i think i will have to soon, almost full already :V)

Lowa [NSN]
July 15 2011, 11:51:16 PM
Do you want a proper backup solution or would you be fine with some ad-hoc stuff? There is plenty of backup-2-disk(-to-tape/other media) software out there, question is if you want to pay for it or not.
Its not terribly expensive once you reach a certain point if GB/importance tbh. I will probably look into something like Symantec once all my new stuff is in place and I currently have about 120GB of data that needs to be secured (photos, mail etc). I dont care about downloaded movies etc as they can be downloaded again if needed.

Navigator Six
July 16 2011, 09:33:31 AM
Hm, that HP only does RAID 0 and 1, and it looks like it would cost at least a hundred quid more to get something with RAID 5. :?

What do you mean by "ad-hoc stuff"?

Lowa [NSN]
July 16 2011, 10:04:48 AM
I would probably mean the same thing as "designing your own thing with parts from all over the place". Like building your own pc. :P
I looked around little, and I may have spoken too soon, I had the feeling that there was, if not plenty at least a few good cheap home-backup softwares.
But...not so sure there are, at least not that I can say are good or bad.

Bummer...I used to run a DLT drive I scavenged of a tape robot with some cheap/free software in the late 1990īs.

What OS are you running btw? I, in my own little world only looked for Winbased stuff... My bad!

Aea
July 16 2011, 03:08:41 PM
I've built several of these (last one as a staging / media server for inter office use), if you go this way it may be a bit difficult to get RAID5 setup if you're doing software (you probably should do it in software unless you can spend $300+ on a _legitimate_ hardware card).

I have no idea how to do backups in Windows, is there like an rsync like tool? In lieu of that get a mac, Time Machine is such amazing software.

Lowa [NSN]
July 16 2011, 07:09:22 PM
Aea, later version of windows have (at least server versions, but I think the "better" home versions have it too) snap-shot and backup/replication features built in.
Also, there might actually be support for MS DPM (data protection module) for just the file system. Not sure tbh...

Time Machine fuckin owns for its simplicity! I told my last company that we should totally rip that off and build an enterprise look-a-like for our storage systems... hehe. :P

EntroX
July 17 2011, 06:59:45 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X0BJAO + computer with a single PCIe slot, you can get another enclosure and have 8 disks, card supports RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD

Navigator Six
July 17 2011, 08:12:28 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X0BJAO + computer with a single PCIe slot, you can get another enclosure and have 8 disks, card supports RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD
That looks pretty awesome. Is the SATA port multiplying thingie easy to set up generally?

(I looked for that on amazon.co.uk, and I found this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-Castle-7037-Tower-Raid/dp/B000VXXW5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310890094&sr=8-1))

EntroX
July 17 2011, 07:24:14 PM
you pop it in and thats it, seriously.

when you boot the comp up you set up your raid and voila~

Jason Marshall
July 18 2011, 04:43:23 AM
My data storage server is an old PC i stacked with a whole buncha satas. Currently its running Windows 7 =D