PDA

View Full Version : [Legal advice] Ivy growing on our extension

High Sierra
July 8 2011, 07:21:16 PM
so then my pretties.

bit of an issue - the neighbours who we don't get on with particularly well have planted an Ivy which is growing up the brick wall of our extension. The extension is built upon the boundary line between the two properties, however it has now reached the roof height and is growing under the felt and boards.
We tried to make contact with them a couple of times and in the end put a polite letter through the door - we believe that we have a right to ask them to remove the ivy since it is going to cause damage to the brickwork and roof.

this evening a bit of a set to occurred when neighbour #1 was outside while SWMBO left to pick up the boy. Words were said.

So. We are sure that we have the right to ask them to remove the Ivy since it will damage our house and that we can ask our insurers to write them a letter holding them responsible in the event of repairs needing to be done as a result of the damage from the Ivy.

Is this true.

go go go!

spasm
July 8 2011, 07:22:36 PM
Just cut it down.

High Sierra
July 8 2011, 07:23:51 PM
Just cut it down.

We cant access it easily and it is growing up our wall which is the boundary between the two gardens.

Tiny
July 8 2011, 07:24:15 PM
or apply weed killer while nobody's home.

edit: also it take decades for Ivy to do any damage you whiny bitch.

Rans
July 8 2011, 07:25:16 PM
Give a solicitor 30 to send them a menacing letter

wakalaka
July 8 2011, 07:28:03 PM
What's the purpose of a letter other than a big finger to your neighbours, instead of asking directly? We are not speaking about an old tree here. Call somebody to cut the ivy that gets into your house and pay the bills. Now, make a copy of these and mail them to your neighbours.

Edit:

We cant access it easily and it is growing up our wall which is the boundary between the two gardens.
Oh I see, that's the problem if you have to cut the ivy from their yard. You'll have to speak with them. And kill the ivy forever if they don't agree to take proper care of it. Play it weasel and explain them how much would be the cost of some roof repair.

Warpath
July 8 2011, 07:38:17 PM
Anything growing on your side can be cut down/trimmed back (don't cross onto his side of the boundry) however technically i believe any cuttings ect still belong to him and if not returned you could be done for theft? (remember some solicitor saying this a few years back when there was a load of stories in the media about tall fir tree/boundry disbutes..)

Lancehot
July 8 2011, 07:48:36 PM
Burn down your extension, & by extension their ivy bush.

rojomojo915
July 8 2011, 07:48:49 PM
Did you get the proper permits and all that jazz for the extension being built right on the property line?

Mangala Solaris
July 8 2011, 07:49:10 PM
Burn down your extension, & by extension their ivy bush.

Dont forget to salt the earth afterwards.

Samp
July 8 2011, 07:49:55 PM
If you're in England or Whales then any plant material on your property is under your control - you can remove it, although it remains their property. You don't have any right of access on their turf to maintain your property.

Ivy doesn't take long to casue damage - I have Ivy growing in through my windows under the rubber seals fucking them up. On brick the main problem is that it holds water against the surface which fucks up some types of brick.

Any damage your property sustains as a result of your neibours planting you can claim against your neigbours for. Criminal law isn't applicable unless - you cut their plants and keep the bits and they call the police and the police don't tell them to stop being so stupid, or unless they are deliberatley damaging your wall and roof with Ivy, but again the police will probably tell you to fuck off if you report that.

Basicaly if they aren't interested in helping you out, get eveidence of the damage casued, a few quotes from workmen, then fix it then ask them to pay, then if they refuse go to the small claims court and be forever fucking at war where you live.

Warpath
July 8 2011, 08:00:33 PM
I
On brick the main problem is that it holds water against the surface which fucks up some types of brick.

It can also work it's way through the mortar between the bricks and end up growing inside the house.

BLEURRRRGH
July 8 2011, 09:25:44 PM
Anything growing on your side can be cut down/trimmed back (don't cross onto his side of the boundry) however technically i believe any cuttings ect still belong to him and if not returned you could be done for theft? (remember some solicitor saying this a few years back when there was a load of stories in the media about tall fir tree/boundry disbutes..)

Yup. If the tree hangs over your property, you are well within your right to cut it back, so long as you throw the cuttings back onto their property. If you don't, they can do you for theft. We had a problem with trees from our neighbours garden overgrowing and getting in the way of our boot room door. We told them of the problem and that we would be cutting the branches hanging into our property back. They argued that it would constitute criminal damage of their property and theft and that they'd consult their solicitor if they saw we'd touched their trees.

We checked with our solicitor and he told us we were within our right to cut any vegetation that hung over onto our property, regardless of where it's was rooted, so long as we returned the branches. We told our neighbours again, but they refused to listen and again threatened us with legal action. In the end, we cut the branches back, threw them onto their drive and posted a letter from our solicitor through their letterbox, informing them of our rights.

We were, however, told that there was an exception to this rule and that was in the event that the plant was rooted on public property, such as the trees lining an avenue. You couldn't cut the trees back because to throw them back would be regarded as fly-tipping. Any leaves that fell from the trees onto our drive had to be disposed of by us as well.

As for the ivy damaging your property, you can either take them to small claims court for it or inform your insurance company. If you inform your insurance company, they'll settle the issue with your neighbours insurance company. You may end up with a mark against you for making a claim, but it could work out cheaper than taking your neighbours to court. Or you could tell them of your intention and reach a private arrangement, avoiding insurance claims or court visits.

Our neighbours (on the other side) ended up complaining to their insurance company that we had some trees lining our property that looked like they might fall onto their property. To be fair, there weren't any issues, but the neighbours were paranoid because their house had been converted into three flats. A builder had recently crashed into their property and broken a fence. The three families that occupied the flats apparently spent a few weeks trying to decide who would report the incident to their insurance company. Nobody wanted to go on record for having made a claim. When someone did eventually claim, they decided to throw in a complaint about our trees while they were at it.

Our insurance company didn't even bother to inspect our trees ... they simply sent someone to take a few photos of them and then told us we would have to pull them down within the next 6 weeks or they'd cancel our insurance. My parents were devastated since they were over 100 years old each, but heigh ho. They had to go.

But yeh. Cut the Ivy encroaching on your property, throw it back over, take photos of the damage, try to get a quote for the repairs and then inform your neighbours of whatever course of action you decide to take.

FatFreddy
July 8 2011, 09:35:44 PM
Bourgeois Challenge

Art
July 8 2011, 09:41:19 PM
cut it down, then tell them to come at you, bro

noobcake
July 8 2011, 10:11:15 PM
you whiny bitch.

QFT

TheManFromDelmonte
July 8 2011, 10:42:27 PM
Yup. If the tree hangs over your property, you are well within your right to cut it back, so long as you throw the cuttings back onto their property.

Not disagreeing with the sound of vomit here, but if it's a big old tree it may be listed which means you can't just chop it back (English law). Not relevant to ivy at all I just don't want anyone to get into trouble :)

Seamus
July 8 2011, 11:46:12 PM
Dress up in combat gear, camo ur bitch face up, at night jump over the wall, drill holes into the main (thickest) trunk/branch thingummy, pour creosote in, plug up holes with plasticine, jump back home (optional taking shit on their property.)

Then feel manly.

Ohh_No
July 9 2011, 12:50:06 AM
Dress up in combat gear, camo ur bitch face up, at night jump over the wall, drill holes into the main (thickest) trunk/branch thingummy, pour creosote in, plug up holes with plasticine, jump back home (optional taking shit on their property.)

Then feel manly.

Wouldn't have happened if the neighbors had guns

sarabando
July 9 2011, 01:14:34 AM
cut the ivy at the bottom of were your wall starts and then paint it with creosot(sp?0 then wait a few days and it will just peel off easy

bundus
July 9 2011, 02:15:07 AM
Plant a Bougainvillea on your side in a wall planter.
Wait a few weeks and they will be the one slipping a letter under the door .
Say you will take it down if the creeper comes down.

Al Simmons
July 9 2011, 03:20:02 AM
Do you belong to a tenants association or something, or is there a local residents group or something? Failing that I suggest just talking to them and being as reasonable as possible, explain the situation etc. Ivy fucks up stone something fierce :(

Lusulpher
July 9 2011, 04:30:05 AM
"Good walls, make good neighbours."

"This means war."

Also, I heard polite request of maintenance of the wall[on videotape], BEFORE you poison the plant also works. Good luck murdering your neighbours' plant and blaming a local dog/rabbit/mole. :)
I assumed we all learned about Ivy and Kudzu in Basic Biology. They are invasive species with no food benefit...jesus.

Mr Rivers
July 9 2011, 12:41:02 PM
can you not 'weatherproof' your wall or something in something that will kill it

Sparq
July 9 2011, 01:13:13 PM
Couple of kettles full of boiling water on the base/roots while they're out of the house, over a space of time. Bonus, it doesn't leave tell-tale chemical traces like weed killer.

Warpath
July 9 2011, 01:17:14 PM
Few gallons of diesel across their garden and not a lot will grow. If they manage to prove it was you though...

Shiroi Okami
July 9 2011, 01:50:26 PM
Few gallons of diesel across their garden and not a lot will grow. If they manage to prove it was you though...

Use kerosene, drop some on their roof while you're at it and claim you saw a plane make an emergency fuel dump overhead if questioned

Raine Woot
July 9 2011, 08:24:57 PM
1. Ninja gardening. At night, plant ivies all the fucking way around their house. Never say anything about it, they'll know it was you but will never have proof. Afterward, set up cameras so you catch them if they decide to fight back while you're asleep/out.

2.Growing up in a war will make your kid strong and (s)he'll never be a loser. You might even enlist their help for false witness statements when they get old enough. No man can resist a small upset child accusing someone of wrongdoing.

3. ???

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/16678280/view/1/producttypecolor/1/type/png/width/378/height/378/fuck-yea-man_design.png

High Sierra
July 9 2011, 09:03:21 PM
looks like they took it down.
havent had a look yet, but I will be inspecting for damage.

Seamus
July 9 2011, 11:00:33 PM
Hmm. Thank them for being considerate, and dont kerosene/creosote/any other chemical their stuff then.

Dartzap
July 9 2011, 11:06:37 PM
Well it is England. Dont want to make a fuss, after all, no deary.

Chakrai
July 9 2011, 11:16:36 PM
looks like they took it down.
havent had a look yet, but I will be inspecting for damage.

Good. If it gets too tall then giants can climb down it from Jotunheim and really fuck up your lawn.

Grarr Dexx
July 9 2011, 11:55:21 PM
Oh the difficulties of suburban life.

FatFreddy
July 12 2011, 05:07:27 PM
My neighbour looked over my hedge today. From now on, I shall patrol the garden at night. Armed and ready. Also, I need advice on tunneling and the art of sapping.

Sparq
July 12 2011, 05:18:32 PM
My neighbour looked over my hedge today. From now on, I shall patrol the garden at night. Armed and ready. Also, I need advice on tunneling and the art of sapping.Punji sticks, look them up on wikipedia. Bonus points if you smear them with your own shit.

bundus
July 12 2011, 06:13:21 PM
My neighbour looked over my hedge today. From now on, I shall patrol the garden at night. Armed and ready. Also, I need advice on tunneling and the art of sapping.

Go to your closest apiary identify the queen take it home and shove it in the hedge.
You may want to pick up a couple of epi pens just in case.