PDA

View Full Version : My G15 is sort of fucked. Can I unfuck it?

Amantus
July 2 2011, 09:26:03 PM
So I have an original badman blue G15 keyboard which I've had for like 5 years, and it's suddenly decided to say fuck off to the R, T, L and 6 keys.
A couple of days ago I took it all apart and cleaned the circuitry on those keys and it fixed the problem, but now it's doing it again. The keys don't seem to be damaged, the silicone dome things are intact, and all the circuitry is present and correct.

So yeah I guess my questions are:
Why is it these keys that break?
Is it fixable?
How?

I'm going to end up taking it apart again and cleaning the membranes more thoroughly, but it seems weird that even after I fixed it the same keys broke.

Aea
July 2 2011, 10:07:56 PM
I think you have too much of an attachment to that keyboard, considering all the day thread and PC posts. But I'm going to have to say this, let go man, it's over, it's dead jim.

Amantus
July 2 2011, 10:16:25 PM
the reason i like my one so much is that they don't make them any more and the orange one is totally gay as fuck, and it's really expensive to buy a new one.

so baww basically

Rudolf Miller
July 2 2011, 10:51:59 PM
I have two options for you.

New? A G510 is a decent replacement. I like it.

Used? I still have my old working G15. Perhaps I could be convinced to part with it ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

EntroX
July 2 2011, 11:23:59 PM
I have two options for you.

New? A G510 is a decent replacement. I like it.

Used? I still have my old working G15. Perhaps I could be convinced to part with it ;)

how much

Amantus
July 3 2011, 12:24:53 AM
how much were you thinking rudolf

Rudolf Miller
July 3 2011, 01:27:47 AM
Shit this bitch is an antique now! And it seems like there's a lot of interest ;)

Here's the story. The springs on the keys are worn, but 100% functional. The LED backlighting underneath the board isn't always 100%, but will always be lit when in use. Also, she'll need some TLC cleaning. I was never brave enough to take it apart :shame:

PM offers and your location so I can calculate shipping.

underwoodr
July 3 2011, 01:48:00 AM
Had the same problem with my G15, one day the 7 and J stopped working, sent a mail to logitech and got a free replacement:) try that before spending anything

Amantus
July 3 2011, 02:18:01 PM
How old was your keyboard? Mine is like 3 years out of warranty.

Rudolf as long as the membranes inside it are in good nick then it should all be good
How much for shipping to the UK for a poor student?

whispous
July 3 2011, 03:08:30 PM
Sure you want an american layout keyboard amanto?

bundus
July 3 2011, 03:19:42 PM

It's not the same? All stuff I get shipped over from both sides look the same, its just those wacky euroboards.

Amantus
July 3 2011, 03:21:59 PM

welp that didn't even occur to me.

however i think the layout of the membranes and shit is the same? rudolf could you take a photo of the keyboard then i can ~compare~

Rudolf Miller
July 3 2011, 05:09:33 PM
Ill get on it when I'm out of work

Skjordr Longfang
July 3 2011, 08:00:06 PM
What are you cleaning it with?

Rudolf Miller
July 4 2011, 01:38:58 AM
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/gamer002006/IMG_20110703_203419.jpg
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/gamer002006/IMG_20110703_203413.jpg
http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz40/gamer002006/IMG_20110703_203402.jpg

Yes. It is very dirty. I warned you. I wasn't gonna risk taking it apart and breaking this rare artifact. It still works fine.

Asestorian
July 4 2011, 02:02:24 AM
how did it get that dirty O_O

I spilt alcohol all around my G15. It never went in/on top, just underneath. Still completely fucked it though :(

I miss it.

Amantus
July 4 2011, 03:13:06 AM
What are you cleaning it with?

warm soapy water and a q-tip

and then dried thoroughly of course

Rudolf Miller
July 4 2011, 03:45:12 AM
how did it get that dirty O_O

I spilt alcohol all around my G15. It never went in/on top, just underneath. Still completely fucked it though :(

I miss it.

my body secretions border on the poisonous and can melt steel. theres also a lot of it. that's all the gunk.

again.. i don't dive in there cuz if it breaks while cleaning it, it's useless aint it.

ill take a dirty original g15 to a broken clean one any day

Helen
July 4 2011, 05:59:00 AM
\shudders

balistic void
July 4 2011, 10:06:59 AM
As I posted before these (g15/g19) are not really good keyboards. They use same keys as a 5 dollar keyboard, rubber domes. No springs. Thus they won't last more than a few years with heavy use :( You are paying for brand name + fancy lights + fancy shell. To fix keyboard after spills you need to clean the circuit layer (should be rubber sheet with circuits printed on it), just clean it and dry it. If as you say the "springs" are worn out then just forget about it, this means the rubber domes are worn out. Can't replace individual ones I don't think, just the whole lot as it's all one sheet of domes. Note that scissor switch keyboards are even more delicate.

If you want a real keyboard that is durable and good to type on:
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/
http://www.daskeyboard.com/

I have a g19 at home, and a das in work.

Rudolf Miller
July 4 2011, 02:26:51 PM
As I posted before these (g15/g19) are not really good keyboards. They use same keys as a 5 dollar keyboard, rubber domes. No springs. Thus they won't last more than a few years with heavy use :( You are paying for brand name + fancy lights + fancy shell. To fix keyboard after spills you need to clean the circuit layer (should be rubber sheet with circuits printed on it), just clean it and dry it. If as you say the "springs" are worn out then just forget about it, this means the rubber domes are worn out. Can't replace individual ones I don't think, just the whole lot as it's all one sheet of domes. Note that scissor switch keyboards are even more delicate.

If you want a real keyboard that is durable and good to type on:
http://www.deckkeyboards.com/
http://www.daskeyboard.com/

I have a g19 at home, and a das in work.

thank you buzzkillington.

Amantus
July 4 2011, 06:08:33 PM
but i like having a gimmicky screen

filingo
July 4 2011, 06:13:27 PM
its interesting that the r key broke

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Amantus
July 4 2011, 10:34:34 PM
its interesting that the r key broke

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tell me about it man

literally is the hardest thing to type

Rudolf Miller
July 6 2011, 03:47:14 PM
so whats the word here.. any buyers?

Amantus
July 6 2011, 04:06:44 PM
so whats the word here.. any buyers?

how much do you want

Rudolf Miller
July 6 2011, 04:56:28 PM
how much do you want

firstborn and a pound of flesh.

seriously though haggle with me. theres basically no recent sales to go on since it is a relic, so i don't even know how much it's actually worth in todays terms.

PM me a first offer, we'll work it out. I'll also need shipping destination so I can tell you how much shipping will be.

Amantus
July 6 2011, 11:08:50 PM
sent u a pm

im gay from my htc desire using tapatalk

Haffrage
July 6 2011, 11:29:55 PM
rrrrrrrrrrrr

Amantus
July 6 2011, 11:55:55 PM
haff

Haffrage
July 6 2011, 11:56:16 PM
haff

im gay from my htc desire using tapatalkhello amantor what is going ons

Melichor
July 7 2011, 01:41:03 AM
Still using a Dell standard keyboard that works fine crew checking in ( too poor for cool keyboards/mouse)

Amantus
July 7 2011, 04:01:39 AM
hello amantor what is going ons

nm bro nm

Bacchanalian
July 7 2011, 04:22:26 AM
firstborn and a pound of flesh.

seriously though haggle with me. theres basically no recent sales to go on since it is a relic, so i don't even know how much it's actually worth in todays terms.

PM me a first offer, we'll work it out. I'll also need shipping destination so I can tell you how much shipping will be.

Does it come with a hazmat suit? Those pictures made me decide to skip dinner.

Aea
July 7 2011, 06:52:35 AM
Terrifying. *wipes pristine new Apple Keyboard w/ Lysol*

Amantus
July 7 2011, 07:24:33 AM
Oh yeah so turns out I'm not buying Rudolph's keyboard.

Gonna take mine apart again and give the circuits a more thorough clean in the hope that it'll fix itself properly.

Rudolf Miller
July 7 2011, 02:07:02 PM
Does it come with a hazmat suit? Those pictures made me decide to skip dinner.

I might just restore it myself. I got some brosefs who prefer to work on computer equipment in clean rooms, so I would trust their skill in disassembly and reassembly in decontamination rooms.

rojomojo915
July 7 2011, 02:24:33 PM
I started to clean mine the other night then I saw this thread. Not sure if I should continue or not.

Rudolf Miller
July 7 2011, 04:57:36 PM
I started to clean mine the other night then I saw this thread. Not sure if I should continue or not.

http://www3.webng.com/darkman1969/g15_disassembly_guide__dgephri.htm

This guide is what my friends used with success.

Amantus
July 7 2011, 05:37:01 PM
You don't even need a guide. Unscrew screws; unplug things. P easy.

Rudolf Miller
July 7 2011, 07:26:06 PM
You don't even need a guide. Unscrew screws; unplug things. P easy.

the trick being the LCD connector pins that from what ive heard break retardedly easy and bork the whole point of the keyboard. it's still a nice visual guide to have.

Amantus
July 7 2011, 11:01:59 PM
the trick being the LCD connector pins that from what ive heard break retardedly easy and bork the whole point of the keyboard. it's still a nice visual guide to have.

Yeah true you need to watch out for that. Both the pins on my one are broken, but unless it's totally fucked you can press it into the slot and it's fairly secure.

As long as you're not a big oafish derpo it's pretty easy to dismantle the keyboard.

Hydro
July 8 2011, 02:01:34 AM
Take a screwdriver, remove keys, clean the keys and the board, re-insert keys. Worked for me on my G15 and it still works fine. And don't lose the little metal things for underneath the bigger keys.

Sparq
July 8 2011, 10:11:22 AM
Note that scissor switch keyboards are even more delicate.Just want to chime in and say fuck those things. My first laptop had them. The first time I (somehow) popped a key off SHIT got REAL, FAST. Didn't want to break the preciousness, we didn't.

balistic void
July 8 2011, 11:49:16 AM
The rubber domes lose their springiness over time, you can't fix that unfortunately (without replacing the whole lot. Not built to last.

Fuggin
July 8 2011, 05:39:22 PM
Jeez Rudolf...did you have that keyboard up yer arse?

Mantu....did you look on ebay? :P

Rudolf Miller
July 8 2011, 07:13:20 PM

you're american. say ASS.

also.. already explained it.

Amantus
July 9 2011, 12:01:40 AM

nah but that was my next stop

Raine Woot
July 10 2011, 02:06:07 AM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/Airhead72/2011-07-09_18-02-20_512.jpg

bigass grainy photo of my nice clean 5+ year old g15. Moderate to heavy use erry day, including many years of whorumforing. I hope this thing never dies, it has absolutely nothing wrong with it and I can think of some body parts I would lose before giving it up. I wish everything I had was so awesome as to inspire those kind of feelings, my mx518 mouse is the only one that comes close. Proud to be a logitech fanboy.